Audio through DisplayPor​t on brand new T500

I have just ordered a T500 with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x4500HD with vPro and want to connect it to a HDtv using the DisplayPort and HDMI.  I know that I will need an adapter to do so but here is my question.  Will the DisplayPort support digital audio?
I have seen threads on this forum stating that on some models the audio works and on other models the audio doesn't work... will it work on mine?

psycotik187 wrote:
Ok, so for everyones' information:
As explained to me by Lenovo, the DisplayPort on a T500 with INTEGRATED graphics motherboard supports ANALOG video only (vga) and will not support digital video of any kind (hdmi/dvi).  It is a hardware limitation and is not fixable.
The only way to get a T500 to put out digital video on the DisplayPort is to obtain a completely new system with the ATI SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS motherboard.
Ack! That is flat-out FALSE: the T500 with Intel (only) graphics does digital video through either the built-in DisplayPort, or through the DVI port of an advanced mini dock or advanced dock. See this handy table of which models support DVI pass-through in the dock:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72​148.html
What is true is that the R500 with Intel (only) graphics does not support DVI pass-through. However, even it supports digital video through its DisplayPort.
And yes, I have personally used digital video from both a T500 and an R500. (Typing this reply through DVI on a T500 Type 2242. )
Best regards,
Frank
EDIT: The DisplayPort on both R500 and T500 does *not* support digital audio. You can use the analog audio out, or the digital coax audio out on the dock. Either way you will need another cable.
Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

Similar Messages

• No HDMI Audio Out Option on Laptop, Brand New HP Envy 17

I am trying to watch youtube and other streaming video on my television. I have a receiver that has 5 hdmi in that I use to run all my devices. When I plug in my HDMI cord the video plays on my tv but no audio, and I hear the external device disconnect sound. I opened device manager and see an error above hi definition audo device under sound. I am quite frustrated with trying to diagnose this. HP Support has updated the bios and poked around and pretty much shrugged and said we dont know. I have updated the audio driver and no luck there either. On my wifes 8 year old laptop all you do is right click on the white speaker and select hdmi out.
    Cliffs:
    Plug in HDMI cord to brand new laptop, video plays on TV no Audio, attempted to install new driver and hp updated the bios and still no luck.
    No option for HDMI in playback devices
    I have tried 5 different cords
    Error above Hi Def Audio Device under Device Manager Code 10 Device cannot start
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Help us to help you by posting the following information.
    1.  The complete Model Name. or Product Number. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.
    Have you run the Audio playback troubleshooting wizard that is part of Windows 8.1?
    Use the search charm and type in audio playback. Click on the icon for the  wizard to run the troubleshooter.
    ****Please click on Accept As Solution if a suggestion solves your problem. It helps others facing the same problem to find a solution easily****
    2015 Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience Consumer

• Audio keeps cutting out. Brand new iMac- Logic 9

4 gigs of memory. when i play a song-- or when i record it- even at larger buffer sizes-- the audio cuts out. Only for a second though-- and when i check the recording-- it seems that the audio still got recorded-- just the output mutes out for a second. memory thing maybe? i've tried playing around w/ buffer sizes. i'm only ever recording 1 track at a time. could it be b/c i'm recording to a usb hard drive?
    thank you

Plugging your devices to different corners of your room can cause audio problems I illustrated in my previous post. Let's summarize everything:
    1. You have to have all your devices plugged in one source which means one plate or one socket (with a divider, of course) to avoid 'brrrrrrr' in your speakers (sorry, I don't remember the word for 'brrrrr')
    2. Try your setup in another roon, house, or even part of your town/city to check the audio interface itself.
    !!!! Something came to my mind, perhaps you can just plug the audio interface to another firewire port on your computer? Do you have anything else connected to your firewire port? Sometimes it can be a problem! Even if it's in another port (not daisy chained).!

• Bought a brand new T500 with 64SSD, what to delete to increase capacity?

My 64gb SSD drive can only hold 22gb left. What software can I get rid of to increase my hard drive space? I already burned my recovery CD and deleted partition Q. I have windows vista business and this takes up over half of my hard drive!

I also agree that a fresh install is the best way to go for minimal wasted space or redundant programs.
    A relatively easy way to free up space is to adjust or turn off several of the programs that allocate way too much space by default.  System Restore, Recycle Bin, Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Cache.....these all eat up space.
    Also, using a program like CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ can help clear out application clutter.  I have had great success with this program for several years now on both XP and Vista.
    Don't forget to delete your Windows Update downloads once you are sure you will not have to uninstall them.
    Hope this helps.
    T500 - P8600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, Modded - 4GB Patriot DDR3 and 320GB Caviar Black 7200rpm drive with Ati HD3650 and Catalyst 9.6 modded drivers - Vista Business 32bit stripped down to bare bones with VM's from Ubuntu to Win7RC1 64-bit.

• New T500 Grinding Noise from Hard Drive

My brand new T500 Hard Drive makes off and on very faint grinding noise. The grinding happens for 6 times and then goes away for 5-10 seconds and then happens again and so on.
    Is this normal or is my new hard drive defective, and should I ask Lenovo for a replacement hard drive? 
    I ran the lenovo hard drive diagnostic tool and it did not find any issues.

Fortunately Dell has released firmware update DE17 for the following Seagate models that seems to work for my Lenovo:
    ST9120411ASG
    ST9160411ASG
    ST9200423ASG
    ST9250421ASG
    ST9320421ASG
    ST980411ASG
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R211337&SystemID=P...
    Save the download to your desktop, then extract the files. Save image of ISO file thru Roxio cd maker to a CD. Shut down the pc, restart, F1, goto startup and select CD0  drive, hit F10 

• I connected my brand new iPod Classic 160 GB to my brand new Sony home entertainment system through the headphone jack (to the audio line in). The volume is ridiculously low. Can somebody help me out here?

I connected my brand new iPod Classic 160 GB to my brand new Sony home entertainment system through the headphone jack (to the audio line in). The volume is ridiculously low. Can somebody help me out here?

Make sure the volume on the iPod is turned up fully, since this will affect what you hear through the stereo.
    Make sure Volume Limit is set to full. (From Main Menu, Settings/Volume Limit)
    If you purchased your iPod inside the EU (European Union), then the maximum volume from the headphone jack is lower than elsewhere in the world. If this is the case, buy yourself a 30-pin Dock Connector to 3.5mm jack lead, such as the one linked here...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decrescent-Connector-Stereo-Auxiliary-iPhone/dp/B007NIE5 EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386012456&sr=8-1&keywords=30+pin+to+3.5mm
    That connector will take a higher volume out (than the European Union's output) and that will be louder (and hopefully loud enough) through your stereo.

• I plugged in my brand new nano to my husbands desktop to get it registered, but had a problem mid way through when I tried to used an apple login that already existed.  Now it's not registered and the computer won't recognize my device.  How do I fix this

I plugged in my brand new nano to my husbands desktop to get it registered, but had a problem mid way through when I tried to used an apple login that already existed.  Now it's not registered and the computer won't recognize my device.  How do I fix this?

iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows
    Call U.S. iPod and Mac technical support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) to register your iPod Nano.

• I just brought a brand new Macbook pro retina display, when i connect it to my apple tv through airplay its too slow and when it try to play a movie apply tv is always a minute or 2 behind. How can i fix this?

I just brought a brand new Macbook pro retina display, when i connect it to my apple tv through airplay its too slow and when it try to play a movie apply tv is always a minute or 2 behind. How can i fix this?

Hello HanaAmer1,
    We've an article which provides troubleshooting steps that can help get AirPlay workign correctly.
    iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5209
    Cheers,
    Allen

• Repost: brand new mac won't play/recognise/mount audio-cd's

No idea what's going on here. I posted a question which I will paste below. Someone posted some suggestions for me (Dave Sawyer if I remember the name correctly, thanks again!) which lead me to ask wheter I was or was not supposed to have a file named cd info.cidb in a certain folder.
    Now all of a sudden my thread is gone and I find the following mail in my inbox:
    NoName posted "Re: brand new mac won't play/recognise/mount audio-cd's" in "brand new mac won't play/recognise/mount audio-cd's" on Aug 1, 2008 4:21:01 PM.
    You wouldn't have that file unless you used iTunes to get CD metadata from Gracenote. I hate Gracenote, therefore I have never had that file on my system
    To view or respond to this message, visit <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7775827#7775827>
    To view the full topic, visit: <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1643589>
    To view the forum, visit: <http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=782>
    We appreciate your participation in Apple Discussions. Thank you for being part of our community.
    Apple Discussions Team
    The origial question post was the following:
    Hi all!
    I am totally new to the macbussines (got one for a month now) and not using cd's much I never tried importing one untill today... and it simply won't. I think it's supposed to show the audio-cd on the desktop and give me an 'import cd' button in itunes whenever I insert an audioCD right?
    It won't do... it'll take it in, turn it a few times and slide it right out again.
    What I tried so far:
    * toying with itunes settings for importing (import cd & eject, show CD, ask to import cd etc)
    * toying with the cd&dvd preferences under system preferences
    * click the mount 'button' in disk utility as was suggested in all those threads regarding cd's not mounting first time (my cd's won't mount the second or 30th time either)
    * resetting the PRAM
    Nothing so far.
    It does recognise DVD's but no audio cd's whatsoever, originals, burned ones. You name it. As I don't use CD's a lot the newest CD dates from 2003, but that can't be it, can it?
    Any suggestions would be highly appreciated...
    o/
    Am I going para? Where did my post go? It's totally gone, not even under 'my posts' or anywhere...
    Still no solution either... suggestions still welcome therefor

My guess is that someone didn't like that I said I didn't like Gracenote.
    Anyway, I Googled for your thread and luckily found it intact in the iTunes for Windows forum and posted a condensed reply there for you.

• I bought a brand new mac and follow through setting up process with my apple id but when I open App Store I don't see lion into the purchases list. why?

I bought a brand new mac and follow through setting up process with my apple id but when I open App Store I don't see lion into the purchases list. why?

Updates come through Software Update not the App Store. If you have to reinstall Lion that is done via Internet Recovery.
    OS X Lion- About Lion Recovery
    OS X Lion- Run Software Update to use Lion Internet Recovery
    Lion maintenance and recovery operate via the Recovery HD. It's possible to create a separate recovery disk on a flash drive using OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery Disk Assistant.
    To boot into the Recovery HD:
    Boot to the Recovery HD:
    Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

• I am trying to download a movie onto my brand new ipod that has nothing on it. it is a 8gb ipod and the movie is 3.4 gb. halfway through it tells me there is no more space to download the movie. how do i fix this?

i am trying to download a movie onto my brand new ipod that has nothing on it. it is a 8gb ipod and the movie is 3.4 gb. halfway through it tells me there is no more space to download the movie. how do i fix this?

Go to the Store tab in iTunes and click on the Check For Available Downloads.

• The audio device is not working in my brand new hp

I bought the pavilion f4j02la and after 10 days of using it, out of the blue, the sound speaker on the desk appeared with an "x" as if I had put mute on it. It appears to be no device no more and the automatic "help" that searchs for the problem and then fixes it, says that it can't fix anything and that probably one or more  audio services are not being executed. It is still brand new.
    So far i've tried downloading a bunch of new drivers, uninstalling the ones I already had, restarted the computer, erased evertything I had and try to set it back as when I just bought it... and this support hp is unreacheble.
    I'm all the way to Germany where I just found out they are not in the market... so, if anyone has any idea how can I fix this I will really really appreciate it.
    Thank u

HI @ireri_ireta 
    Welcome to the HP Forums!
    It is a superb  place to find answers and information!
    For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More
    I understand that you recently purchased this notebook and after 10 days you had no sound. You have tried downloading a bunch of new drivers, uninstalling the existing one and  restarted the computer. Erased everything you had and tried to return it back to factory.
    Here is a link to No Sound from Speakers (Windows 8) that may help.
    Here is a link to Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 8) that will reinstall the OS but should not affect your personal settings or files.
    Just to rule out hardware as the cause here is a link to Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8)
    To return your notebook back to factory you can do a recovery. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 8)
    You will be presented the opportunity to backup your personal files to prevent data loss.  If you have not yet done one it is an excellent time. 
    Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 8)
    If you are still experiencing an issue please contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to aid with resolving issues.
    Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.
    World Wide Phone Support
    Best of Luck
    Sparkles1
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

• HT6114 my audio is being funny on my mac. It is brand new, and hasn't had trouble since this update. It gets stuck at full blast with a / though it. then no audio comes out. Once I turn it off it fixes it self thouhg.

my audio is being funny on my mac. It is brand new, and hasn't had trouble since this update. It gets stuck at full blast with a / though it. then no audio comes out. Once I turn it off it fixes it self thouhgh, or if I wait a while it finally fixes it's self. If this happening to anyone else?

I don't think that is normal behavior. The long press is possibly causing the system to force power down, which would then allow it to power back up.
    Just to make sure, all drivers are up-to-date? Are there pending BIOS updates? If so, you'll want to make sure it can restart properly before applying the BIOS update
    Try an Ubuntu LiveUSB or LiveCD to rule out software issues.
    If that doesn't work, try taking out the battery and AC, pressing the power button ten times, then holding it for ten. This is usually the remedy for another issue, but try it anyway.
    If that doesn't work, then try resetting the BIOS settings. Then try unplugging the CMOS battery overnight. Otherwise, might have to call for warranty.
    W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/688/1376, 21GB RAM, 500GB + 750GB HDD, FHD screen
    X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
    Y3P: 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD+ screen

• HT2499 I inserted a brand new DVD and it quit half way through and gave me the "skipping over damaged area" message.

I got this laptop refurbished from Apple in July. It was originally released in October 2011. I have watched DVD's on it previously, but lately, in the past 3 weeks, it's been pooping up the "skipping over damaged area" message. I put in a brand new DVD and half way through, it did it again, and I can't get past it. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

You can just open Terminal (in Utilities) and run the rm command (make sure you type it exactly) and then reboot.  With /.AppleSetupDone gone the system will think it is the the second part of an installation, i.e., after it installs and reboots and starts the Setup Assistant.  You will see the Welcome and music all over again and then you can go through the setup prompts again, this time specifying a password.

• Brand new Mac, had to erase drive through disk utility as time machine back up failed. Now disk utility only has the option to install Mountain Lion which my Mac won't allow. Anyone any ideas as my Mac won't load anything up but disc utility!

Brand new Mac, had to erase drive through disk utility as time machine back up failed on initial setup, USB cable popped out Now can only access disk utility as won't load to log in screen. The only has the option in disc utility is to re-install Mountain Lion which my Mac won't allow or loading another time machine back up but after an hour of it processing, that didn't resolve the issue either! The time machine back up is the latest back up of my Mac Book Pro which was using OS X Maverix. I'm guessing I'm going to have to take my Mac to the store but that would be a hassle so does anyone have any ideas?

Follow this guide using another Mac.
    Insert your newly created Mavericks USB into you Mac, press the power button and then hold down 'option,' until it gives you an option to boot from the USB. You will then be able to erase the internal disk with Disk Utility and reinstall Mavericks straight after.
    After that you should be able to use Migration Assistant to restore your applications and user data.

Maybe you are looking for

• How to create a report using XML data source from Crystal Report Designer

Hi, Iu2019m having Crystal Report Designer XI R2 SP4. Iu2019m trying to create a report using XML data source stored on disk. This is a customer order report and the xml is structured in such a way that it has an order details header part (master) an

• IPhone 4 repeatedly not recognized by iTunes on PC

I have an iPhone 4 and back-up up to iCloud daily.  As a secondary precaution every week or so I also try to back-up to iTunes on my PC (Windows 7). I seem to be regularly getting a warning in iTunes when I do this that it does not recognize the phon

• IMac 27" i7 won't turn on. No disk activity.

Ive seen some similar dicussions here but none that are exactly like what happened to me. The big problem is my iMac is stone cold dead. I push the power button and nothing happens, no disk activity, no fans, no nothing. As if it had been un plugged.

• Upgrade to 5.0.2 - Character Sets?

We just upgraded to 5.0.2. We had experienced in 4.5 WS Some problems with characters not displaying in the portal (specifically, the Euro Symbol) In 4.5 WS we were able to change a user's account Regional Settings, the charater set used (for instanc

• Power Mac g3 blue/white internet issue

I am running system 10.3.9 and all was well last night. This morning can't get on internet on the g3, my pc works fine. Am direct cabled to router and when the original auto connect with dhcp was set it would generate it's own IP address and router s