Fan Error - T23

I get a FAN ERROR when ever I start up my T23.  All the status lights come on but the machine does boot.  I usually need to try starting it several times in order to get the machine running.  Is there an easy fix for this?

If it sounds and feels like the fan is properly spinning up (no obvious grinding noises and airflow is venting out the left side of the system), then I would try replacing the CMOS (backup) battery. If that doesn't solve your problem, then I would have to say that the next step would be to download a copy of PC Doctor for DOS for the T2x system. If you don't have a floppy drive handy to make those diskettes, then I host an .ISO file which has the same version in it. Once you boot the T23 with PC Doctor, select the "Other Devices" entry under "Diagnostics" and run the "IBM Fan" and "IBM Thermal Sensor" tests. If those pass, then I guess the next thing to try would be to swap out the fan assembly.
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request

Similar Messages

• Fan Error on X201

I bought my X201 (3249CTO) last october from lenovo's website. 2 weeks ago, my laptop became unable to boot up except showing "Fan Error" message. Before that, my laptop sometimes suddenly shut down(directly to dark screen) with no reason. 
    The Warranty is going to expire tonight. I still can not find the entry to report this error and ask for repair on this lenovo's official website. Most links I've seen are "check....", "check...", or "extend or upgrade"... and some software solutions. I can not find any tech support email. When I go to the "CONTACT" page, most contact info is about sale, business. After I click, click and click, I found that "800-xxxxxxx" tech support number. Following the instructions, I press 1, 1, 1... and hearing a lot of electric voice"please go to www.lenovo.com.....", I heard that their manual service was only available during 8a - 8p Mon - Fri. While I'm most on class during that time. Why don't they have an email for warranty service?
    How can I contact them to return my laptop back and get repaired?

@LilHayah,
    You would need to call the tech support via the number 800-xxxxxx then they would advice you on how to get the laptop shipped back for service or if you have a onsite service.
    There are no emails for tech support.
    //JameZ
    Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
    X240 | 8GB RAM | 512GB Samsung SSD

• System fan error on g62-352ca on startup. are there two fans ie a cpu fan and a system fan?

I get a system fan error on power up?     Are there two fans in the G52-352CA?   Ie a general system fan and a CPU cooling fan or just the one CPU/heatsink fan?
    If it is the CPU/heatsink fan then there are 4 part numbers for different options.   Is there some way to tell from the model number or features as to which is needed.    I would prefer to have the part in hand before opening everything up.    Are there better fans to buy and if so how do I find them?       This unit was always running a little on the warm/hot side,

Hi,
    Could you add the error message to the next reply?
    ** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **
    ** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

• "Fan error" on Thinkpad X201s

Hello,
    My X201s surprisingly overheated and soft-shut down. Upon rebooting the BIOS interrupted startup just to say "Fan Error" and shut down again. Has anyone seen this issue before? Up until now the fan has been working!
    I took the keyboard off, and as soon as I press the power button, I see the fan spin for a few seconds then stop - it does not start again and says fan error. I have blown all the dust out, and the fan turns very freely - is there anything else I should try before I send the laptop to be repaired (it is still in warranty but it is a bit of a bore!)?
    Thanks for any help,
    Edward
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Either the fan is running a little slow or the temperature sensor circuitry is sick. Send it in. It is a pain, but it is the best choice.

• Fan error on a Hp laserjet P1606dn

If a Hp laserjet P1606dn experiences a fan error what would you see as a result of this on the self-test/configuration page in the status column?
    what would be the code shown?

Hey Hvytoys,
    Welcome to the HP Forums!
    With your Laserjet giving a fan error message, this is a hardware issue! I would suggest contacting technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl, for any repair, or replacement options available to you.
    Good Luck!
    I worked on behalf of HP

• Fan Error on x220

Hi everyone,
    I have a (now) 2 year old Thinkpad X220 with Intel i7 processor (CTO 4286) with no warranty (only got the 1 year limited warranty, as I assumed this was a premium laptop).
    Sadly enough a month ago the fan stopped working, and I get a "fan error" message on boot-up. This as, in effect, turned my +1200 dollar laopt quite useless.
    What I have tried to fix it so far is the following (in this order)
    1. Blown out dust from the fan area
    2. vacuum cleaned fan area
    3. Dissambled unit, vacuum cleaned fan unit
    4. Applied small bit of oil to fan unit mechanism
    5. Reapplied thermal paste to cooling unit
    6. REPLACED fan unit and thermal paste
    However, the message is still there and my laptop (which cost me an arm and a leg, as I was planning to use this laptop for 5 years - just like my x41 before it) .. is still dead.
    Does anyone else had this problem (especially those that did not have the warranty anymore), and does anyone else has any other suggestion? Would much appreciate it, as I need this laptop and cannot afford a new one..

"fan error" does not mean "too hot"; it means "running too slow". You probably need need a new fan. (The only other things involved are the fan sensor and a fuse (both part of the motherboard). They are unlikely causes and expensive to fix.

• Fan error on IBM thinkpad X60s notebook

When I switch on IBM thinkpad X60s notebook. I can hear a sound from fan like it is try to move and then stop. After awhile an error "fan error" appear on the screen. I would like to know is it related to fan problem? If yes, Do I need to change a new fan? Actually, this notebook is out of warranty. So what will it cost for fan assembly and the labour charge? I live in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. I would like to know is there any service center in Johor Bahru? Thanks for reading and reply to my post.

Apa kabar?
    Sounds like you will need another fan installed. If you unit is still under warranty, call your local tech support to assist. I'm not sure about your exact location in Malaysia, but I know that there are some locations in KL.
    I was able to find this tech support number in Malaysia for you.
    1800-88-1889 (Local number only)
    +603 8315 6855 (DID)
    Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5PM
    Give them a call for assistance. Best of luck.
    Mark
     Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks

• Fan error on T42...

FAN ERROR message on T42 (model 2373)
    is there a way to clean the fan?
    the problem is intermittent

well you can try to clean the fan, just take off the keyboard. And then use a can of compressed air to blow out the dusts (but make sure you hold down the fan vane).
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Fan Error 0135

I have a Think Centre M52.
    All the fans a running continiously and on start up I have a fan error 0135.
    I have cleaned the two front fans, still no joy , and have now noticed the rear power supply fan is running as well.
    I will remove and clean the power supply fan etc.
    Any advise if this does not solve the problem of the front fans running full speed?
    neilf250

Hello neilf250 and welcome to community,
    Kindly update the BIOS as it fixes various fan issues.
    Hope the issue gets resolve.
    Best Regards,
    Tanuj
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• Fan error at startup in ibm thinkpad t42

i always get fan error at startup in my  ibm thinkpad t42 since 1 week. i press esc key at error and that is the only way my system startup. its not in warranty and will like to try to fix it on my own. please help. i am worried

Try bblowing some air into the fan lover when the system is off. Then turn the system on and put your hand at the louver to see if it blows air. If this doesnt work, run PC doctor for DOS ( available at  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-56222) and check the problem. If this doesnt work either, replace the fan.

• Fan Error. Overheats Assistance would be appreciated.

Hello, my laptop has been playing up for quite a while now, over a month. The fan error constantly appears on my laptop and it always heats up when im running basic things such as web browsers and even word. I only recently discovered that there was a program called HP Coolsense which some people on forums claimed saved their laptop. I accessed the program and i didnt notice a real difference but it still gave me hope. The next day I turned on my laptop and HP coolsense had mysteriously dissappeared. The only thing i had done the previous day was a few hp driver updates. I have really begun to become depressed with thi error. I attempted to blow compressed air into the vents to no avail, After five days and 5 empty bottles of compressed air my situation has become dire. I  have upgraded BIOS like many of the pages requested. However I am hesitant to reset my laptop or send it back to HP as some have done? I have watched many videos on opening up the laptops to access the fans and heat sink however I find it horrible that the process is so delicate in these paticular laptops as i believe that i have to remove the keyboard and other parts of the laptop. 
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,mglcamo

HP provides very good Service Manual documentation for notebook disassembly. One of the main things is to keep track of where the screws go. Other thn that it is pretty simple, just a little time consuming. My laptop was giving no error and just shutting down when the fan would just stop turning. I used a pin in the vent to get it started again but finally ended vup replacing the fan which solved the problem. There was some dust inside but not as much as I expected for a 6 year old notebook. Make sure you clean all that out, especially what may be on the heat sink. Follow the service manual and be careful and you shouldn't have a problem. I looked up my notebook and got the part number for the fan and searched the internet. I got my replacement fan from Amazon for $7.39 plus $4.80 for shipping. The old one was also making noise,maybe from the use of the pin, but purrs lke a kitten now.

• Fan Error Lenovo T500 T510 T400 T410 T60 T61 - rejuvinating the fan

I finally got that dreaded "Fan Error" at boot time on my T500.  After some research on this board, this is what I have concluded:
    1-  hit Escape, and the machine will boot.  It can do a lot of stuff without a fan turning.  Gaming caused it to overheat.  Either the processor would slow down (by being intermittant) or you get the black screen of death.
    2-  It is relatively easy to follow the Hardware Maintenence Manual and remove the fan and heatsink assembly.  Once the assembly is removed, pry open the fan, and remove the blades and clean and lubricate the shaft.  My fan restarted, and the Fan Error went away.  No need to replace the fan.
    3-  Unfortunately the machine overheats now (black screen of death), even though the fan does operate.  I traced this to a too liberal application of the thermal joint compound.  Made the compound a very thin film, and that seems to have helped.  Also when replacing heat sink assembly and before bolting it, wiggle it while pressing on it so the thermal joint compound spreads itself at the surfaces of contact.  This seems to have helped.
    Anything else that you may want to add to this thread?

lxgw wrote:
    Thanks a lot! It makes sense.
    Yes, I have been using the ESC bypass for some time, untill I really could not stand by anymore--the over heating.
    I am thinking about manipulating the fan 'manually', if it could pass the booting, very good; if not, it's not completely unacceptable to run a small program@startup along with the work.
    Not ready to say bye yet,  will keep trying.  
    Thanks again!  
    So if you hit ESC, does your fan work normally, or do you overheat?  I had the impression that your fan would work normally if you hit ESC.
    My fan was always a problem on the T500 (not on my new W540).  It was extremely noisy and was constantly on even at no load times.  So I opened the laptop and cut one of the 3 wires on the fan (I am sure it is a power wire), and installed a manual switch.  So when the thing overheated, I could manually turn the fan on.  This worked for about a week and then something gave up, and the fan stopped working altogether.  (don't fix something that is not broken!)  I had to take the front cover off, and place a PC fan in the top left corner to cool the radiator.  This was not as effective as the original fan, but let me do my job.  Then the loose switch on this ersatz fan one day accidentallyshorted the fluoroscent backlight PC board of my display and I lost my display backlight!  I had to pry open my display and using two 60W bulbs project light to the back of the LCD so I could read the display!  This is when I decided to punt and ordered the W540.  The fan is quiet and works when it has to work.

• Fan error t410s

Anybody have experience with fan error? It made very loud noise while I was using my computer and after that I turn my computer off and cannot turn it on. It shows fan error. Very disappointed with my first thinkpad. I got it a year ago. Just passed warranty less than a month. Touch pad and battery life also are not good.

Take off the keyboard and see if the fan can spin freely.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72739.html
    You need to turn off Gesture Filtering and Edge Tap Filtering for the touchpad and maybe turn the touch sensitivity up. Average battery life on the T410s should be around 2 to 2.5 hours it seems.
    W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/688/1376, 21GB RAM, 500GB + 750GB HDD, FHD screen
    X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
    Y3P: 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD+ screen

• Fan Error: Hard Drive-related?

A few months ago, my computer was running super slow. I ran the AHT and it showed I needed a new left fan.
    When I took it into Apple, they diagnosed that, in addition to the fan, my hard drive was failing and needed to be replaced.
    I took it to an Apple provider, told them the problem, and then they replaced the fan and not the hard drive. They said that with the new fan, the hard drive started working fine.
    I am now having the fan error again, on the right side. I'm wondering if this is just a coincidence, or if it's related to the other issue. Is it possible that the hard drive failing could cause the fans to fail?
    Thanks!

The left fan failing is probably why the right fan failed, as the right fan probably had to work harder to compensate for the failing left fan, and thus it was overworked and became compromised as well. It's usually prudent to replace both fans if one fails.
    If your hard drive was failing back then, it's likely still failing. Possible the improved cooling helped it to work a bit longer. Here's a utility you can run to check out the drive's physical condition:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/systemdiskutilities/smartutility.html
    You can download the demo and run it several times for free. If the drive really is failing, or is 3-5 years old, you may as well get it replaced when you get the right fan replaced.
    Good luck!

• FAN ERROR

FAN ERROR displays today, previous the fan was running noisily..now screen resolution is poor... will this crash my laptop?

Hi Peanut, why didn't I grab that user name - it's great! Welcome to the Lenovo User Community!
    Please be patient for other members to respond (remember this is a user-to-user forum). You could help by providing more information about your system type and the operating system you are using.
    A common cause of fan errors is overheating due to a dust and fluff collected in the fan and heat sink. Look in the fan vents with a flashlight. If you see dust monsters, try gently vacuuming it out, or remove the keyboard and blow it out...
    Hope this helps!
    I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Maybe you are looking for