Memory Usage Issue - T400

Hello,
I got my T400 in this morning and facing a small issue with the memory usage. I ordered the laptop with Windows Vista Biz. 64bit
The memory usage at the start up is above 1.3GB. Is that normal?
I am using a desktop PC where the memory usage did not hit 900MB (I am using Windows Vista Ult. 64bit).
T400 spec.
42X6336 SBB INT.CORE2DUOPROCP8600
42V8173 VBB MS WIN VISTA BUSSINESS 64
44C1081 SBB G W VISTABSS64 US ENGLISH
43Y3484 SBB MW XP PROFES. US ENG RDVD
42X6321 SBB 14.1 WXGA+ TFT, W/ CAMERA
42X6315 SBB AMD M82XT HYBRID 256MB
42X6306 VBB 2GBPC3-8500 1067MHZ1DIMM
42X6355 SBB KYB US ENGLISH
42X6323 SBB ULTRNAV(TRP+TOUCHP)FINGERP
42X6351 SBB 160GB HDD/7200RPM
42X6326 SBB INT.TURBOMEMORY1.6 2GB
42X6345 SBB DVDRECORD.8XMAXDUAL,ULTBAY
42X6312 SBB EXPR.CARDSLOTXN4-1M.CARDR.
42X6325 SBB INT.WIFI LINK5300
42X6328 SBB INTG.WIR.WIDENET UPGRAD.
42V9338 SBB 6 CELL LI-ION BATERRY
39T6442 SBB COUNTRY PACK NORTH AMERICA
42X6388 SBB LPACK US ENGLISH

Hi, everyone
     I got a new t440p 20ANA00UHH (8GB RAM, win8 64bits) about one week ago. It works really well, but its memory usage  confused me. In Task Manager, the "Performance" option shows memory is 68% (5.4G in use), but "Users" option shows memory usage 66% (1019.5M in use). Is that normal ? I just opened some websites and word files.

Similar Messages

• Perfomance/memory usage issues running LR 3.3 on 32 bit Win XP

I'm using LR 3.x for some time now, at the moment my version is LR 3.3. My machine is set up with a 3.6 GHz core 2 duo cpu, 4 GB of RAM and four samsung spinpoint hdd. LR 3.3 runs on Windows XP SP3 32 bit OS, usable memory is 3,25 GB. At HDD 2 LR is installed, at HDD 3 library is located, at HDD 4 LR cache (20 GB) is located. I use one "big" library with around 20.000 raw images. I use 1:1 preview and deactivated deleting preview.
    I noticed that LR is working slow after some time of working on raw images. Tools are lagging, rendering takes very long and sometimes I get the error message that not enough virtual memory is available anymore. Also in task manager I noticed a continuos increase of memory usage, starting around 800 MB, ending up - I can't work anymore - around 3,00 GB. Memory usage never lowers.
    Do you have any information how to solve this perfomance/memory issues? Thanks and best regards from Germany.

There is a large thread for this.
    Here is the link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/760245?tstart=0
    WW

• Memory usage issue

I have a Macbook Air (mid 2013, 4gb memory, 128gb storage) and I'm running OSX 10.8.5 mountain lion.
    My issue is that the free memory is always low, even when starting up the computer:
    When I start up the computer, with nothing yet opened (note: I only have the iTunes Helper in the Login Items) the memory settles on 1.35 gb.
    When I open Safari alone, memory immediately goes down to around 1.1gb. Granted, the more tabs I open in safari, the more it decreases.
    After a little while, I close Safari, and the memory settles on max 2.2gb.
    And often, after idleness, with no apps open, memory just decreases to about 940mb or less. Once it does, opening an app continues to drag it down, many times to double digits. I use the app "Memory Clean" on my menu bar to immediately clear up some of it.
    I'm typically operating, from startup everytime, on about 1.3gb of memory, except for when it drops excessively. Why is it so relatively low when I have 4GB total? There should be about 3GB available when no apps are opened, at least on startup. Why is the computer using up so much memory when I have no real startup apps (aside iTunes Helper, and Avast, the latter not showing up in Login Items) and no third party apps?
    I've checked the Activity Monitor, and on the list of processes, Safari web content (when Safari's used) is often the one in the list taking up the most memory, normally around 250mb, but sometimes high up to 720mb. "Kernel_task" usually comes in second with around 3.5% CPU, 300 mb. "mds" in third with about 85 mb. (Avast 4th with 70mb). What are the Kernel and mds processes about? can/should they be ended to free up CPU or are they system processes?
    One last point: is there any use or harm in the Empty Caches fucntion of Safari? Is this the equivalent of empty internet files/history/cookies in Internet Explorer? I've clicked it and then quit Safari and it seemed to not increse memory at all.
    Any input and or solution is appreciated.

you cannot add more RAM to an Air
    Mavericks is designed to use RAM differently for good reason. Normal
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/12/compressed-memory-in-os-x-109-maverick s-aims-to-free-ram-extend-battery-life
    Mavericks uses RAM much more efficiently than any other previous version of OS X. Mavericks now has a memory compression feature that will compress the memory occupied by applications that aren't being actively used and give the freed up RAM to the application that needs it the most.
    Memory Pressure graph that tells you how stressed is the system in terms of memory.
    Fore more information about OS X Mavericks new system management technologies visit:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/
    See page 5 here:
    http://images.apple.com/media/us/osx/2013/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Ove rview.pdf

• Logic Pro 8, Kontakt 2.23 & Memory usage

Hello -
    *What type of known memory problems might exist between Logic (Logic 8 in particular) and either Kontakt 2.23 or Kontakt Player 2.23??*
    *If there are known memory usage issues, what can be done to help/fix the situation??*
    My computer set up is listed below. I have not upgraded to Leopard (but did upgrade to Logic Pro 8). By-in-large, Logic Pro 8 works fine. However, I usually "network" the Logic sequencing projects with Muse Research's Receptor (version B) and/or an aging Dell Precision Workstation 650 using Musiclab's MIDIoverLan CP3. This has proven stable for me. For my most recent project, I decided to see how many instrument plug-ins I can utilize within the Logic Pro 8 program (without benefit of this "network" set-up). For this project, I'm using one instance of MusicLab's RealGuitar and 16 instances of +*Kontakt Player version 2.23*+ for a total of 17 instrumental tracks. The instrument libraries used are Garritan's GPO and JABB. With this many individual (not multi) track instances used, the activity monitor is showing high RAM usage. For some of the instruments, I could not use the KS choices (trumpet, trombone) because the extra RAM caused Logic to crash as I mounted more instruments.
    I tried adjusting the DFD. Still, there remained high RAM usage and the occasional crash. For some of the crashes, I either got the endless colored spinning wheel or a message basically stating that there was no memory available for the DFD. I am no expert with the advanced workings of Logic and the DFD associated with the Kontakt plug-ins. But I am surprised that using just 17 instrument tracks with this newer Mac Pro computer (with 5 GBs RAM) is causing problems. Sadly, I am not an expert Apple user to be able to tell whether it's the computer or Logic or Kontakt. I suspect, though, its some kind of issue between Kontakt and Logic.
    For my audio, I use MOTU's 2408 MK3. For my midi in-put I use M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88. I do not think either one of these devices are causing the apparent memory problems.
    By the way. . . before I purchased my newer MacPro computer, I had a similar instrumental set-up using my aging Dell Precision 650 workstation with 2 GB of RAM using Steinberg's SX 3 program. I used the same GPO and JABB sound libraries. It did "challange" the Dell computer (I had to adjust buffer/latency settings to MOTU's 828 MK2 used with the Dell computer), but the computer didn't crash like what I'm experiencing at present.
    I don't mind "networking" my computers together in order to use larger instrumental plug-in tracks. But I would think that given the "power" of my newer MacPro I should be able to handle more than 17 GPO & JABB tracks. Yes? No?
    *Given my current computer set-up, how many instrumental tracks (using libraries associated with Kontakt or the Kontakt Player) should I get??*
    Thank you in advance.
    Ted

Sadly, I can chime in with the same basic problem. Namely, that
    Kontakt2 seems to leak ram. I've watched the activity monitor show
    an increase in ram allocation to logic if i simply LOOK at a kontakt
    instance. Just clicking on the instance causes ram to be allocated, and no matter how much I purge samples, I just can't retrieve that ram. Once 2 gigs are sent to logic, crash.
    The only solution I've found is to save & restart before it climbs too high. I can then work for an hour or so until the ram overflows again. This is obviously a major bug, and I agree that Logic doesn't appear to be the culprit.
    Have either of you tried K3? I wonder if the problem is more under control there? There's no way Kontakt will bother to fix this bug
    in v2.23 with v3 on the shelves. The question is, how do we know that v3 fixes it without buying it? I've heard reports that v3 is even
    more bloated than v2.
    I've recently done a clean install of leopard on a blank drive, and
    i'm patiently waiting until NI updates the installers for K2.
    Then, i'll have a clean OS, clean newly installed logic 8, and
    a cleanly installed K2. Maybe that will help mitigate, if not solve the problem.
    I'm almost sure that Kontakt is the source of the problem, but
    I've also been told that Intels have serious flaws in their ram
    allocation WITH TIGER.
    Some people with G5's have reported having access to 3.5 gigs ram.
    Intells can only use 2 gigs with any one app. This was thought to be a problem with Tiger and and Intels. So maybe Leopard will expand the RAM wallet, and then we just have to wait for Kontakt to stop spending so much.

• Occasional video freeze, related to memory usage?

Hi all,
    I've been experiencing problems playing divx and flv (firefox) videos.
    The image freezes for a second, then keeps playing, then freezes... again and again.
    I have the same problem with VLC, MPlayer OS X, I have tried uninstalling Perian, or Flip4mac...
    Computer updates are ok.
    It looks like a memory usage issue to me but I am not sure.
    Any idea?

Welcome to Apple Discussions!
    One thing you could try is to go to System Preferences>QuickTime>Streaming and set the bar for a longer delay. I get this a lot with dial up, and I think it's because the download speed is slow. It downloads a little, plays a little, downloads a bit more, plays a bit more...and so on. With really fast internet, I think it downloads faster than it plays, so you don't get this.
    Good luck!

• Exchange 2013 issue with High memory Usage on Mailbox server post SP1 update.

So we have been chugging along fine since Feb 2 2014. 
    I performed a migration from 2010 from the UK to the US doing "incremental" mailbox moves. (get in contact with me if you want to know how. But we moved 400 Mailboxes averaging at 2gb a piece from the UK to the US, over the transcontinental link.
    & then the weekend of the final, had everyone & everything done by the end of the cutover weekend)
    Any woot.
    So I applied the 2013 SP1 a few weeks back, & have intermitantly been alerted to the memory spiking over 95%. For me (and for any exchange admin) when i get those types of alerts i drop everything & run to the nearest PC to see what is going on.
    Now the first & second time, it was an issue with logs filling up the drives, & my clean log script not running to remove any logs older than 30 days. But since then it has been legitimate 95%+ memory usage. 
    For the most part its been 95-97 max, with 1 or 2 times hitting 98. After some time, the memory does drop back down to 94.
    this is ....umm "fine" however it is becoming a nuisance, since most of the time it corrects itself. What i dont want to happen is get into the groove of saying "ah bah! its nothing" & letting it go.
    the server has 16gb of memory in it, it is the Mailbox server (CAS /Frontend is on a seperate server)
    below is a screen shot, so i know the Storeworker grabs whatever it feels like grabbing, however it does NOT EVER release memory.  I also see the NodeRunner.exe (2 of them)  is always around 900 almost a MB
    now if i could somehow get the first 2 Storeworkers to drop down to 900ish, then that should alleviate my memory issues. 
    what I am m looking for is some type of "magic bullet" to put my memory issues at ease..

thats the problem & seems to be a misconception.
    Exchange NEVER releases the memory when other things need it.  As the users state in your thread you linked. (i came across that early in my search for a resolution). An example is if another admin & myself log into the backend server at the same
    time & begin clicking around opening things, etc..Memory will go to 100% which = No Buenos. 
    There are numerous post all over the internet from people who say it releases, but them 5 more comments to that 1 saying that it does not. 
    I know what the process's do, however it seems like the SP1 has increased memory usage, as typically the Store.exe would only grab about 900-1000. 
    in terms of the noderunner, once again i know its role, however we are now 2 months+ live on 2013 post migration, I do not think it is still indexing all those emails. 
    all DB's report healthy.
    Name                            Status  CopyQueue ReplayQueue LastInspectedLogTime   ContentIndex
      Length    Length                             State
    WBAC1\EXCHBE001                          Mounted         0         0                        
             Healthy
    WBAC2\EXCHBE001                          Mounted         0         0                        
             Healthy
    WBAC3\EXCHBE001                          Mounted         0         0                        
             Healthy
    WBAC4\EXCHBE001                          Mounted         0         0                        
             Healthy
    WBAC5\EXCHBE001                          Mounted         0         0                        
             Healthy

• Frequent crashes - using 900,00k + memory, many tabs open - is memory usage an issue?

I am having frequent crashing of firefox, several times a day.
    I do have many tabs open, 100+, and memory usage is around 900,000 and up.
    I am wondering if the memory usage is causing the crashing, or something else I can fix?
    My task manager says I am using 67% of available memory.
    Total: 2941
    Cached:1202
    Free: 74
    Total: 207
    Paged: 153
    NonPaged: 53
    Page File 2981M / 6116M
    Here are the id's of the last 10 crash reports:
    bp-c79bc97e-d502-4319-a49e-7bc0b2130917 9/16/201311:38 PM
    bp-19f60b05-f268-4693-b622-066f42130917 9/16/20139:59 PM
    bp-f43d9597-9023-487a-90d4-994d32130916 9/16/20137:15 PM
    bp-b552cdc4-6920-4eed-bff7-cb7cf2130916 9/16/20136:04 PM
    bp-b62272cb-f4ef-4f30-acc9-4a1752130916 9/16/20135:02PM
    bp-f4bebdd3-20f9-4444-8245-520c42130916 9/16/20133:08 PM
    bp-bad99992-5b2b-4ac1-96bc-e03812130915 9/14/201311:31 PM
    962c451e-dc19-4707-9def-b2dd5cd4caed 9/14/201310:07 PM
    bp-8de4bc69-0f86-417a-9727-e88622130914 9/14/20132:29 AM
    bp-6ae9815f-1472-492d-8738-1cd842130914 9/14/20131:01 AM

These crash reports can be hard to interpret, but at least the six from 9/16 seem to be "out of memory" (OOM) errors. Assuming that is the case, the question is what might be done about that.
    This support article has a range of suggestions, including not having more than 100 tabs open and possibly useful add-ons. [[Firefox uses too much memory (RAM) - How to fix]]. In a bug report, I also saw an extension that displays the usage on the add-on bar, which might help in keeping an eye on it.
    I noticed you have several dom.ipc.plugins.* preferences set to False, which may force some plugins to run in firefox.exe rather than plugin-container.exe. The design of the process isolation feature is that plugin crashes will take down plugin-container.exe rather than firefox.exe. It may also be that overriding process isolation is ballooning the memory usage by firefox.exe rather than more evenly distributing it between the two processes. You may want to restore those settings to their defaults and see whether that helps.
    Finally, to reduce the size of your sessionrestore.js file you could omit personal data (e.g., cookies, form data), but this will make it a bit harder after a crash to get back to where you were.

• Problem with Firefox and very heavy memory usage

For several releases now, Firefox has been particularly heavy on memory usage. With its most recent version, with a single browser instance and only one tab, Firefox consumes more memory that any other application running on my Windows PC. The memory footprint grows significantly as I open additional tabs, getting to almost 1GB when there are 7 or 8 tabs open. This is as true with no extensions or pluggins, and with the usual set, (firebug, fire cookie, fireshot, XMarks). Right now, with 2 tabs, the memory is at 217,128K and climbing, CPU is between 0.2 and 1.5%.
    I have read dozens of threads providing "helpful" suggestions, and tried any that seem reasonable. But like most others who experience Firebug's memory problems, none address the issue.
    Firefox is an excellent tool for web developers, and I rely on it heavily, but have now resorted to using Chrome as the default and only open Firefox when I must, in order to test or debug a page.
    Is there no hope of resolving this problem? So far, from responses to other similar threads, the response has been to deny any responsibility and blame extensions and/or pluggins. This is not helpful and not accurate. Will Firefox accept ownership for this problem and try to address it properly, or must we continue to suffer for your failings?

55%, it's still 1.6Gb....there shouldn't be a problem scanning something that it says will take up 300Mb, then actually only takes up 70Mb.
    And not wrong, it obviously isn't releasing the memory when other applications need it because it doesn't, I have to close PS before it will release it. Yes, it probably is supposed to release it, but it isn't.
    Thank you for your answer (even if it did appear to me to be a bit rude/shouty, perhaps something more polite than "Wrong!" next time) but I'm sitting at my computer, and I can see what is using how much memory and when, you can't.

• Memory usage of excel stays high after Macro is executed and excel crashes after trying to close it

Hi,
    I'm trying to resolve an issue with an excel based tool. The macros retrieve data from an Oracle database and do calculations with the data. They also open and write into files in the same directory. The macros all run and finish the calculations. I can
    continue to use and modify the sheet. I can also close the workbook, however excel memory usage I see in the windows Task manager stays elevated.If I  close Excel it says: Excel stopped working and then it tries to recover information...
    I assume something in the macro did not finish properly and memory was not released. I would like to check what is still open (connection, stream or any other object) when I close the workbook I would like to have a list of all still used memory. Is there
    a possibility to do so.
    Here the code I'm using, its reduced to functions which open something. Functions   
    get_v_tools() and get_change_tools() are same as get_client_positions().
    Public conODBC As New ADODB.Connection
    Public myPath As String
    Sub get_positions()
    Dim Src As range, dst As range
    Dim lastRow As Integer
    Dim myPath As String
    lastRow = Sheets("SQL_DATA").Cells(Sheets("SQL_DATA").rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("A2:AD" & lastRow + 1).ClearContents
    Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("AG2:BE" & lastRow + 2).ClearContents
    Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("AE3:AF" & lastRow + 2).ClearContents
    k = Sheets("ToolsList").Cells(Sheets("ToolsList").rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
    Sheets("ToolsList").range("A2:M" & k).ClearContents
    'open connection
    Call open_connection
    lastRow = Sheets("SQL_DATA").Cells(Sheets("SQL_DATA").rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    If lastRow < 2 Then GoTo ErrorHandling
    'copy bs price check multiplications
    Set Src = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("AE2:AF2")
    Set dst = Worksheets("SQL_DATA").range("AE2").Resize(lastRow - 1, Src.columns.Count)
    dst.Formula = Src.Formula
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandling
    'new prices are calculated
    newPrice_calculate (lastRow)
    Calculate
    myPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
    'Refresh pivot table in Position Manager
    Sheets("Position Manager").PivotTables("PivotTable3").ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook. _
    PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:= _
    myPath & "\[Position_Manager_v1.0.xlsm]SQL_DATA!R1C2:R" & lastRow & "C31" _
    , Version:=xlPivotTableVersion14)
    ErrorHandling:
    Set Src = Nothing
    Set dst = Nothing
    If conODBC.State <> 0 Then
    conODBC.Close
    End If
    End Sub
    Sub open_connection()
    Dim sql_data, sql_data_change, sql_data_v As Variant
    Dim wdth, TotalColumns, startRow As Integer
    Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Errorcode = 0
    Errorcode = 1
    With conODBC
    .Provider = "OraOLEDB.Oracle.1"
    .ConnectionString = "Password=" & pswrd & "; Persist Security Info=True;User ID= " & UserName & "; Data Source=" & DataSource
    .CursorLocation = adUseClient
    .Open
    .CommandTimeout = 300
    End With
    startRow = Sheets("SQL_DATA").Cells(Sheets("SQL_DATA").rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
    sql_data = get_client_positions(conODBC, rst)
    wdth = UBound(sql_data, 1)
    Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("A" & startRow & ":AA" & wdth + startRow - 1).Value = sql_data
    'Run change tools instruments
    startRow = Sheets("ToolsList").Cells(Sheets("ToolsList").rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
    sql_data_change = get_change_tools(conODBC, rst)
    wdth = UBound(sql_data_change, 1)
    Sheets("ToolsList").range("A" & startRow & ":M" & wdth + startRow - 1).Value _
    = sql_data_change
    'open SQL for V tools instruments
    startRow = Sheets("ToolsList").Cells(Sheets("ToolsList").rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
    sql_data_v = get_v_tools(conODBC, rst)
    wdth = UBound(sql_data_v, 1)
    Sheets("ToolsList").range("A" & startRow & ":L" & startRow + wdth - 1).Value = sql_data_v
    conODBC.Close
    ErrorHandling:
    If rst.State <> 0 Then
    rst.Close
    End If
    Set rst = Nothing
    End Sub
    Private Function get_client_positions(conODBC As ADODB.Connection, rst_posi As ADODB.Recordset) As Variant
    Dim sql_data As Variant
    Dim objCommand As ADODB.Command
    Dim sql As String
    Dim records, TotalColumns As Integer
    Set objCommand = New ADODB.Command
    sql = read_sql()
    With objCommand
    .ActiveConnection = conODBC 'connection for the commands
    .CommandType = adCmdText
    .CommandText = sql 'Sql statement from the function
    .Prepared = True
    .CommandTimeout = 600
    End With
    Set rst_posi = objCommand.Execute
    TotalColumns = rst_posi.Fields.Count
    records = rst_posi.RecordCount
    ReDim sql_data(1 To records, 1 To TotalColumns)
    If TotalColumns = 0 Or records = 0 Then GoTo ErrorHandling
    If TotalColumns <> 27 Then GoTo ErrorHandling
    If rst_posi.EOF Then GoTo ErrorHandling
    l = 1
    Do While Not rst_posi.EOF
    For i = 0 To TotalColumns - 1
    sql_data(l, i + 1) = rst_posi.Fields(i)
    Next i
    l = l + 1
    rst_posi.MoveNext
    Loop
    ErrorHandling:
    rst_posi.Close
    Set rst_posi = Nothing
    Set objCommand = Nothing
    get_client_positions = sql_data
    End Function
    Private Function read_sql() As String
    Dim sqlFile As String, sqlQuery, Line As String
    Dim query_dt As String, client As String, account As String
    Dim GRP_ID, GRP_SPLIT_ID As String
    Dim fso, stream As Object
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    client = Worksheets("Cover").range("C9").Value
    query_dt = Sheets("Cover").range("C7").Value
    GRP_ID = Sheets("Cover").range("C3").Value
    GRP_SPLIT_ID = Sheets("Cover").range("C5").Value
    account = Sheets("Cover").range("C11").Value
    sqlFile = Sheets("Cover").range("C15").Value
    Open sqlFile For Input As #1
    Do Until EOF(1)
    Line Input #1, Line
    sqlQuery = sqlQuery & vbCrLf & Line
    Loop
    Close
    ' Replace placeholders in the SQL
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "myClent", client)
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "01/01/9999", query_dt)
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "54747743", GRP_ID)
    If GRP_SPLIT_ID <> "" Then
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "7754843", GRP_SPLIT_ID)
    Else
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "AND POS.GRP_SPLIT_ID = 7754843", "")
    End If
    If account = "ZZ" Then
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "AND AC.ACCNT_NAME = 'ZZ'", "")
    Else
    sqlQuery = Replace(sqlQuery, "ZZ", account)
    End If
    ' Create a TextStream to check SQL Query
    sql = sqlQuery
    myPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
    Set stream = fso.CreateTextFile(myPath & "\SQL\LastQuery.txt", True)
    stream.Write sql
    stream.Close
    Set fso = Nothing
    Set stream = Nothing
    read_sql = sqlQuery
    End Function

Thanks Starain,
    that's what I did the last days and found that the problem is in the
    newPrice_calculate (lastRow)
    function. This function retrieves data (sets it as arrays) which was correctly pasted into the sheet, loops through all rows and does math/calendar calculations with cell values using an Add-In("Quantlib")
    Public errorMessage as String
    Sub newPrice_calculate(lastRow)
    Dim Type() As Variant
    Dim Id() As Variant
    Dim Price() As Variant
    Dim daysTo() As Variant
    Dim fx() As Variant
    Dim interest() As Variant
    Dim ObjCalend as Variant
    Dim newPrice as Variant
    On Error GoTo Catch
    interest = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("V2:V" & lastRow).Value
    Type = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("L2:L" & lastRow).Value Id = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("M2:M" & lastRow).Value Price = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("T2:T" & lastRow).Value
    daysTo = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("K2:K" & lastRow).Value
    fx = Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("U2:U" & lastRow).Value
    qlError = 1
    For i = 2 To lastRow
    If (i, 1) = "LG" Then
    'set something - nothing spectacular like
    interest(i, 1) = 0
    daysTo(i , 1) = 0
    Else
    adjTime = Sqr(daysTo(i, 1) / 365)
    ObjCalend(i,1) =Application.Run("qlCalendarHolidaysList", _
    "CalObj", ... , .... other input parameters)
    If IsError(ObjCalend(i,1)) Then GoTo Catch
    'other calendar calcs
    newPrice(i,1) = Application.Run( 'quantLib calcs)
    End If
    Catch:
    Select Case qlError
    Case 1
    errorMessage = errorMessage & " QuantLibXL Cal Error at: " & i & " " & vbNewLine & Err.Description
    ObjCalend(i,1) (i, 1) = "N/A"
    End Select
    Next i
    Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("AB2:AB" & lastRow).Value = newPrice
    'Sheets("SQL_DATA").range("AA2:AA" & lastRow).Value = daysTo
    ' erase and set to nothing all arrays and objects
    Erase Type
    Erase id
    Erase Price
    Set newPrice = Nothing
    Is there a possibility to clean everything in:
    Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
    End Sub
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

• Memory usage problem on AIX 7.1

Hi,
    We are running Oracle 11GR2 EE on AIX 7.1 and keep getting alerts on the pgchecks (memory paging).
    The alerts are coming from another system monitoring tool (Hobbit), but our sys admins are telling us it is because we are overallocating memory.
    In our case, we have an 8G SGA for the only database.
    Then, we are running grid and ASM.
    How can I check the actual (real) memory usage by individual processes of our Oracle database, our emagent (OMS agent), and for our ASM. In our case, we have 32G of Real Memory installed, and we should not be having a memory paging issue.
    For the Oracle database, it is set for 8G.
    NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
    lock_sga                             boolean     FALSE
    pga_aggregate_target                 big integer 0
    pre_page_sga                         boolean     FALSE
    sga_max_size                         big integer 8480M
    sga_target                           big integer 0For our ASM instance, it is set for 270M
    SQL> sho sga
    NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
    lock_sga                             boolean     FALSE
    pga_aggregate_target                 big integer 0
    sga_max_size                         big integer 272M
    sga_target                           big integer 0

do as below (vmstat takes 2 minutes to complete)
    bcm@bcm-laptop:~$ vmstat 6 20
    procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
    r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
    0  0      0 1347636  81396 1592120    0    0   264    22  382  651  8  3 84  5
    0  0      0 1347664  81404 1592144    0    0     0    13  515 1028  4  1 95  0
    0  0      0 1353136  81412 1592144    0    0     0    14  507 1021  3  1 95  0
    0  0      0 1353012  81420 1592144    0    0     0    23  523 1033  3  1 95  0
    0  0      0 1353044  81428 1592144    0    0     0    13  513 1026  3  1 96  0
    0  0      0 1353044  81436 1592144    0    0     0    15  517 1045  3  2 95  0
    0  0      0 1352920  81444 1592144    0    0     0    15  505 1012  3  1 96  0
    1  0      0 1347448  81452 1592156    0    0     1    21  521 1038  4  2 94  0
    0  0      0 1347448  81460 1592156    0    0     0    28  513 1030  3  2 95  0
    0  0      0 1347448  81468 1592180    0    0     1    21  529 1053  4  1 95  0
    0  0      0 1347200  81484 1592176    0    0     0    39  530 1067  3  2 95  0
    1  0      0 1347200  81492 1592172    0    0     0    14  530 1058  3  1 96  0
    0  0      0 1352796  81500 1592172    0    0     0    17  514 1034  3  2 95  0
    0  0      0 1352796  81508 1592180    0    0     0    21  516 1049  6  1 92  0
    0  0      0 1352764  81516 1592180    0    0     0    15  506 1024  2  1 95  1
    0  0      0 1352252  81524 1592180    0    0     0    15  563 1090  3  2 95  0
    0  0      0 1351836  81532 1592180    0    0     0    15  550 1066  4  1 94  0
    0  0      0 1346768  81540 1592200    0    0     1    18  547 1111  4  2 94  0
    1  0      0 1346152  81548 1592204    0    0     0    69  524 1059  3  2 94  0
    0  0      0 1346472  81556 1592244    0    0     1    17  498 1012  2  1 96  0

• Tracking Memory usage on iOS using the Stats class

I've been checking memory usage on an app I'm developing for iOS using the Stats class https://github.com/mrdoob/Hi-ReS-Stats ( http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/mobile/WS4bebcd66a74275c3-315cd077124319488fd-7fff.html#WS 948100b6829bd5a61637f0a412623fd0543-8000).
    I added the Stats class to my project and redeployed and, yikes, memory usage reported in Stats creeps up (pretty slowly) even when there's nothing happening in the app (just showing a loaded bitmap).
    To try and track down the issue I created a project with a test class that extends Sprite with just this single call in the constructor :-
    addChild( new Stats() );
    I deployed it to the device to check that it didn't gobble any memory.
    But I was Suprised to watch the memory usage creep up and up (to approx 5) before some garbage collection kicked in and takes memory back down. I left it running and then it crept up again to over 7.5 this time before being kicked back down to just below 3.
    So 2 related questions that I'd appreciate any feedback/observations/thoughts on :-
    1 - Is this normal (i.e. memory creeping up when there's nothing other than Stats in the project) ?
    2 - What is the best way to monitor memory usage within an app ? Is Stats good enough - is Stats itself causing the memory usage ?
    All the best guys !

Also see thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4280020#4280020)
    My conclusions are :-
    - If you run an app and leave it idle, memory usage gradually creeps up (presumably as memory is being used to perform calcs/refresh the display etc)
    - Periodically the garbage collection kicks in and memory is brought back down
    - This cycle could be in excess of 5 mins
    Run with your real app and memory will increase and be released much more rapidly/regularly.
    - It's probably worth performing initial checks by running on your desktop to iron out any initial problems

• Memory Usage And Hard Drive Activity Increase After Latest Upgrade

I have upgraded to Firefox 3.6.15 and latest Adobe Flash Player. Then i noticed that plugin-container started to take a lot of memory as much as Firefox itself totaling around 600Mb. Then i see hard drive activity intermittently slowing down my laptop and making it unresponsive for a short period of time. I have 50 tabs open. I have disabled Flash and since then plugin-container takes very little memory and i don't see consistent hard drive activity.
    I need Flash and i don't want to disable it. Is there a solution to this?

I am seeking solutions for same problem.  When playing simple online games such as solitaire my memory usage for the plug in container is 300-600 mb while FireFox may only be 80-120 (with several windows or tabs open of mostly text pages). If I disable Adobe add-ons memory usage is greatly reduced. If I understood correctly it is possible to disable the plugin container and run adobe via the old method and another user thought that would solve the problem. I do not understand how it would make a difference but if you havent found a solution you may want to try it.  See these 2 threads in the Mozilla forum:
    A question and brief  explanation  and   how to disable plugin container in config
    I've previously had problems with Adobe crashing Firefox . At least now with Adobe being in the plugin container Firefox does not crash along with it.
    I have another issue - I can sometimes still hear the music from a game after I have exited the game and closed the window. I would like to know how to release the resources used by Adobe - kind of like FireFox's RamBack.
    Well, good luck to you (and me!)

• Problem with memory usage and CPU usage

Hello,
    i have a problem with the memory usage and cpu usage in my project!
    My application must run for more than 24 hrs. The problem is that the longer it runs the bigger is the memory and cpu usage!
    It starts with ~15% CPU usage and ~70 MBytes memory usage. After ~ 24hrs the CPU usage is ~60% and the memory usage is ~170 MBytes!
    After  3 days the CPU usage is almost about 70% and the memory usage is about 360 MBytes!
    What can I do to reduce this huge recource usage?
    Thank you!

Hi Pahe,
       I think the issue is memory usage, since CPU usage can increase due to greater memory requirements.
       Anyway, it's difficult to debug without seeing your code, can you post it (possibly for LV 7.1 compatibility)?  Or just post a JPEG of the piece of code that can give problems...
       I guess you're appending data to an array instead of replace data elements, but I can't be sure...
       Have a nice day!
    graziano

• Very high memory usage with Yahoo Mail

After using Yahoo Mail for an hour or so my memory usage increases to a very high level.
    Just now, after reading and deleting about 50 e-mails (newsletters etc.) I noticed Firefox 17 running slowly and checked the memory usage in Windows Task Manager (I am using XP) and it was 1.2 Gb. My older laptop only has 2 Gb of RAM. Yahoo Mail was the only thing open at the time.
    I never notice this problem with Gmail which I mainly use. However I use Yahoo Mail for quite a few newsletters etc. that are less important and which I only check once a week or so.
    I found the following bug report about 3 years old which almost exactly describes my problem.
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=506771
    But this report involves a much earlier Firefox version, and at the end it seems to say that the problem was fixed. However it well describes my current issue with Firefox 17, especially the continual increase in memory while using the up/down arrow keys to scroll through Yahoo e-mails.
    Is this normal to have to shut down and reopen Firefox every hour or so to clean out the memory? For some reason I only notice this when using Yahoo Mail. After using many other sites and having multiple tabs open for several hours I rarely reach that kind of memory usage. About the highest I've seen with other sites after a couple of hours is 600 Kb which is roughly when I start notice slower response times.

See also:
    *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram
    Start Firefox in <u>[[Safe Mode|Safe Mode]]</u> to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
    *Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
    *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Safe+Mode
    *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Troubleshooting+extensions+and+themes

• BackgroundMediaPlayer high memory usage

Hi, I have a problem with WP8.1 Background task with BackgroundMediaPlayer. When I have just the simplest app, which have virtually zero logic in both the task and and app, when the task is started, it takes 15MB of memory. When playback starts, it jumps
    to 21 MB, which leaves me about 4 MB (since the limit is 25 MB). This is just ridiculous. (I use MemoryManager.AppMemoryUsage to get used memory).
    What I find even more stupid is the fact that when I run the app in emulator, the memory usage is 5 MB on start, after start of playback 11 MB. So I am left with 14 MB, which is ok.
    I created a simple project, if you are interested, download it here: http://bezysoftware.net/files/App13.zip It will notify you about memory usage in background task using toasts.
    Any ideas what to do? Beside rewriting everything in C++ - I already have an app ready in C#.

Hi bezysoftware,
    Looks like emulator performs better than the real device? I'm not quite understand what do you mean by "playback" start, what's the difference between task start and playback start?
    And sorry I cannot repro the issue on my emulator, always 7.7MB instead of 11MB as you mentioned.
    I also tested with my Lumia 630, it only use 3MB when start and use 7MB when running, I cannot repro the issue.
    I would also suggest you tell us what kind of device you are using, perhaps it related with the test device.
    --James
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click
    HERE to participate the survey.

Maybe you are looking for