Potential keyboard hardware problem T410

Dear all,
since yesterday I have been experiencing a problem with my T410, which is potentially due to
a hardware issue with the keyboard.
A few specific keys are not working anymore. These seem to be the Power On key, the Fn key,
the Alt Gr key, and the ThinkVantage key.
I am assuming it is a keyboard hardware problem, since I cannot use the Power On button to
start the laptop. Fortunately, this is possible using the fingerprint reader start-up.
When the laptop is running (using Windows 7) everything is working fine, except the mentioned
buttons. I cannot access any Fn button functions (e.g. the reading lamp) or Alt Gr symbols (e.g.
the @ symbol which is on my keyboard on the 2 button) or power down with the Power button.
I tried various easy fixes:
* Making sure all drivers are up to date
* Remove and reattach the keyboard
* Static discharge procedure (unplug all power, 10 presses and 30 sec holding of power button)
* Checking Bios settings
* Replace battery
Unfortunately, these did not change the situation.
I am wondering if the simultaneous malfunctioning of these specific buttons points to a certain
hardware problem. I hope a replacement of the keyboard might solve this, but it could be an
issue with the motherboard.
Any hints would be welcome.
Thank you,
MH
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Dear all,
thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, it was not the keyboard. It appears to
be a more serious problem. In fact, since yesterday the laptop does not boot correctly
anymore. The boot process is started, but I only end up with a black screen, and some
randomly colored first few lines at the top of the display.
It all points to a major malfunction. Unfortunately, the warranty expired 3 months ago...
Regards,
mh

Similar Messages

• Which heading for posting apple keyboard hardware problems?

I'll apologize in advance, but I'm having a little difficulty locating a forum heading for posting about problems involving the Apple aluminum keyboard hardware. Specifically, I've been getting little electrical shocks once in a while from the keyboard. If someone would kindly directly me to the proper forum heading, I'll post about my problem over there.
    Thanks!

Hi nconrads!
    Maybe posting in the Using Your Mac Pro Forum, would produce some additional, helpful suggestions.
    Others with the same hardware, may be experiencing the same issue.
    ali b

• Mac Mini Bluetooth hardware problems ?

I own a Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 1Gb bought last October, an Apple wireless keyboard and an Apple wireless mouse, both I formerly use without any problems with my old Powerbook G4. By now, I used them with my Mac Mini it worked perfectly fine. But since two or three weeks, I’ve got big Bluetooth connection problem. Randomly, after one or two hours of use, both keyboard and mouse loose connection and the Bluetooth symbol change itself into a strange one. I had a look on your site to learn the meaning of it and the symbol is see which is a Bluetooth symbol with a horizontal zebra means that no Bluetooth hardware can be found! Does my Mac Mini built-in Bluetooth card have problems?
    Since I haven’t got any wired USB keyboard or mouse I have to reboot my Mac Mini quite roughly. Sometimes one reboot is enough to make the Bluetooth of Mac Mini to work again, sometimes not and I have to wait a little bit more (more than ten minutes). I can see it works again as the Bluetooth symbol is the right one again (the one with the dots).
    It is very annoying. And I am a bit sad to have such problems with Apple stuff. Is there something I could do to avoid such a waste of time? Or shall I call Apple Care for fear it should be a hardware problem.
    Of course, I use brand new batteries for both of them.
    Message was edited by: Christophe Canus

My mini is doing it as well. Just started doing 2-3 weeks ago. Logitech Denovo or Apple Bluetooth. Doesn't matter which. Loses it in about an hour or so. Al Keyboards and mice were purchased at about the same time as the core 2 duo mini, ~ last October.
    Must power cycle the machine to get it back and it must be paired again. Very annoying. Can't remember if it coincides with an Apple update.
    This mini has had the superdrive replaced twice, once within 6 weeks of purchase. Ever since Leopard, it's been close to the best media head. now this...
    Sigh.
    (What makes it not the best? Frontrow doesn't sort titles correctly [1, 10, 2, 3 - wrong!], doesn't force mount aliases in the movies directory, doesn't put out 1080p without hacking. And I'd so love eyeTV integration with Frontrow. It'd be perfect then.)

• IMac refuses to boot properly - hardware problem?

Hi all, I'm having some problems with my iMac (purchased last October) and was hoping some kind soul could shed some light.
    Here's where I'm at now.
    - The iMac doesn't boot. When I press the power button, it chimes, but then nothing happens and I just see the white/grey screen.
    - I have disconnected all 3rd party peripherals, and only have original keyboard and mouse attached.
    - No matter what keyboard combo I try, nothing happens either. I managed to eject the disc once by pressing the mouse button, but no other key combos work.
    - I must have rebooted about 30 times now, and only twice did something happen:
    1. Once it sat on the white screen for a bit, and then displayed a grey folder with a questionmark in it, but then nothing else happened.
    1. Once I did get it to boot from the CD, and I got to the installation screen. At this stage I tried a couple of different things. First I tried Disk Utility, and the HD is indeed listed in the sidebar (although it's listed as 'disk0s2' rather than 'Macintosh HD'. When I picked the First Aid tab, both Repaid Disk Permissions and Verify Disk Permissions are greyed out (i.e. I can't press them). When I went to press Repair, I got the following error message.
    +Verify and Repair disk 'disk0s2'+
    +Checking HFS Plus Volume+
    +Invalid node structure+
    +Invalid record count+
    +Catalog file entry not found for extent+
    +Volume check failed+
    +Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit+
    +1 HFS volume checked+
    +1 volume could not be repaired because of an error+
    So, I could do nothing in Disk Utility. I then thought "well, I'll just surrender then and reinstall OS X", but when I went back to the Install screen and proceeded, and it asked me where to install the OS, there was nothing to choose from. Usually 'Macintosh HD' is listed along with any other disks. Not this time. So, I shut down the computer again, and now I can't back to the screen (i.e. it refuses to boot from the CD again and instead just spits out the disc).
    So then I phoned Apple. But because I don't have their service plan (and the free one only lasts 90 days after purchase), he couldn't help much. He did say though that if it spits out the disc, it could be hardware problem, and my warranty would cover it.
    So, should I just give up, realise my HD is screwed and my data is gone, and hand it in for service? Or can anyone here shed some more light on my situation?
    Even a "yes, you're screwed, hand it in" would suffice, if that's indeed where I am.
    Thanks,
    Hanna
    Edited for spelling by Nunis

Thank you, dwb. I did just manage to boot from the DVD again, but again I'm seeing the same problems.
    Screencaps:
    http://nunis.net/misc/screencaps/boot.jpg
    http://nunis.net/misc/screencaps/boot2.jpg
    And I have been backing up, but I just got back from vacation, so my last backup is 2 weeks old and the things I was worried about saving was the work I did on my vacation photos and video. Also, you'd be kicking a girl when she's down, which would be even worse.
    I think I'll definitely hand it in now, and ask the tech to rescue whatever data he can. I don't care if it costs me a bit, if it means rescuing my vacation photos.
    Thanks again, you've been most helpful.

• Kernal Panic or hardware problem?

I leave my MacBook Pro laptop (version 10.6.8) on almost all day, but I have the computer closed sometimes during the day. Just about everyday my computer screen goes black and freezes so I have to hold the power button down to turn off my computer and restart it. How can I tell if this is a Kernel Panic or hardware problem? If it is either, does it mean my computer is in bad shape? And how can it be fixed?

Here's my EtreCheck report:
    EtreCheck version: 1.9.12 (48)
    Report generated August 1, 2014 10:32:58 AM EDT
    Hardware Information:
      MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) (Verified)
      MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro6,2
      1 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 2 cores
      4 GB RAM
    Video Information:
      NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - VRAM: 512 MB
      Color LCD 1440 x 900
      spdisplays_display_connector
      Intel HD Graphics - VRAM: 288 MB
      spdisplays_display_connector
    System Software:
      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Uptime: 0 days 0:9:10
    Disk Information:
      TOSHIBA MK5055GSXF disk0 : (465.76 GB)
      - (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 200 MB
      Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 465.44 GB (412.79 GB free)
      HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS23N disk1 : (2.27 GB)
    USB Information:
      Apple Internal Memory Card Reader
      Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
      Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub
      Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller
      Apple Inc. Built-in iSight
      Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver
    Kernel Extensions:
      [not loaded] com.SE105.driver.SE105PeripheralDeviceType05Flash (1.0.0d1 - SDK 10.6) Support
    Launch Daemons:
      [loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support
      [not loaded] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist Support
      [loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist Support
    Launch Agents:
      [not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist Support
      [loaded] com.adobe.CS5ServiceManager.plist Support
      [loaded] com.hp.messagecenter.launcher.plist Support
    User Launch Agents:
      [loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist Support
      [loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist Support
      [loaded] com.genieo.completer.download.plist Support
      [loaded] com.genieo.completer.update.plist Support
      [loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist Support
    User Login Items:
      iTunesHelper
      Dropbox
      AdobeResourceSynchronizer
    Internet Plug-ins:
      Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.4.0.11 Support
      FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 14.0.0.145 - SDK 10.6 Support
      JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version
      AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.07 - SDK 10.6 Support
      Flash Player: Version: 14.0.0.145 - SDK 10.6 Support
      AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.07 - SDK 10.6 Support
      QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6
      RL Secure Plug-In Layer: Version: (null) - SDK 10.5 Support
      SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.4.3 - SDK 10.6 Support
      Silverlight: Version: 5.1.10411.0 - SDK 10.6 Support
      iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0 - SDK 10.7
    iTunes Plug-ins:
      Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.2
    User Internet Plug-ins:
      Picasa: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.4 Support
    3rd Party Preference Panes:
      Flash Player  Support
      Flip4Mac WMV  Support
    Top Processes by CPU:
          2% WindowServer
          1% mds
          1% Google Chrome
          0% ps
          0% Dropbox
    Top Processes by Memory:
      98 MB quicklookd
      90 MB Google Chrome
      82 MB WindowServer
      74 MB Dropbox
      61 MB Finder
    Virtual Memory Information:
      1.68 GB Free RAM
      1.14 GB Active RAM
      402 MB Inactive RAM
      676 MB Wired RAM
      1.12 GB Page-ins
      0 B Page-outs

• U150 keyboard intermittent problem

So, I sat on my U150 a couple years ago. That broke the screen but nothing else. When I replace the screen, the keyboard immediately started acting up. A few keys (5, 6, for example) typed an = instead.  That got worse untl I bought a new keyboard. But not long after intalling that one, the column of 3edc failed.  Since I put on an external keyboard and have no issues, everyone said it was a hardware problem. Thing is, it's intermittent!  I found a repair person, and of course the symtpom did not  occur for him.  And whenever I take the machine apart to look yet again for a cause, the problem goes away for a couple of hours.  I tried the trick taping static-resistent plastic over the metal underlying the keyboard cable: that fixed it, for a couple hours only.  
    I thought it was a heat problem (a while back the fan got really noisy, until I replaced that too).  But it's not correlated with heat: the keyboard usually does NOT work right, unless I've just taken the machine apart and reassembed it: then it works for a bit, as I said.
    I hate to just order another keyboard, because clearly this one has its moments of working fine...would cleaning then cable connection help? If so, what should I use to clean it? 
    Any other interesting ideas? This requires creative thiking! And, the rest of the machine is great now and should last years...I'd like to upgrade the hard drive, but the keyboard thing is too annoying to invest in unless I can fix it.
    thanks!! 

If it happens intermittently, then I would think that it cannot be an incorrect setting, or having system sounds muted. Do you ever restart your iPad - or reboot it?
    Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.
    Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

• Keyboard Response Problem

Hey All
    I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 2.4IntelCore 2 Duo 4GB Ram and a third party 500gb Hybrid HD.
    I pruchased the mac used and it has worked well for the most part, save for the keyboard. Here is the issue.
    First, the left shift key never worked.  Sometimes the ikcomma arrows wouldn't work but not often. It reset everything according to many of the instructions here. To no avail. So I figured it was a hardware problem. I saved up and bought a new keyboard, installed it and it didn't fx anythng.
    Now, the key responses are getting worse and worse. I can shut down the computer and ket the key to work occasionally, as you are seeing with my typing. But it takes at least 20 minutes of the mac sitting for the keys to register at all now. If i tap them repeatedly, it makes no difference.
    So I am at a loss. I have reset everything software/SMC/etc multiple times, I've replaced the keyboard with new stuff, and it has never been dropped, gotten water damage, anything.
    What else could be causing this problem? this morning the arrow keys stopped responding, so the problem is spreading... My job requires immense amounts of typing, so I can't be caught without a keyboard for a few days. Trying to get it diagnosed now, because it is spreading...
    Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Austin

I am not surprised at the unfavorable results regarding the Pram reset and OS installation.  From my perspective that tends to support my thesis that your MBP was defective when you got it.  The fact that the external keyboard works tends to confirm that.
    The only solution is to replace the MBP keyboard, which is a fairly complex endeavor in a Unibody MBP.  You may look at iFixit.com for pricing  and instructions for what is involved (do it yourself).  To have Apple do it probably is not cost effective.
    Often a liquid spill is the cause of such a problem.   I hope that for your sake the difficulties are confined to the keyboard and do not migrate to other parts of the MBP.
    Ciao.

• Treo 650- Can't get service after trip to Thailand & use of different SIM card - AT&T says it is a hardware problem

I have used my Treo 650 for years in the US. I've also taken it to other countries (Africa, Europe) and used SIMS purchased there for service while in those locations. Upon returning to the US after each trip, I've always been able to use my US SIM to get my US service back. 
    However, I went to Thailand in November and used a SMILE SIM and another Thailand SIM, both of which worked in Thailand.  Unfortunately, upon returning to the US, my US SIM won't work for getting service any more.  (I am using my US SIM in a Nokia phone in the meantime, and it is working. When I put the SIM into my Treo, it will transfer the text messges, but will not connect to my service provider, AT&T.) 
    I called AT&T and they said it was a hardware problem.  I suspect it might be a "lock" problem with one of the Thailand companies.  Is it possible that the Thai company locked my cell phone? 
    So my question is, how can I fix this?  Whatever the problem is, I'd sure like my service back!  Please help!!
    Post relates to: Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM)

I don't think a SIM card can lock your phone. Did you let them do anything with the keyboard?
    Can you try with a friend's AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card and see whether either will work?
    Edit: You can ask about Thai mobile phone company issues on this board: Internet & Technology @ Paknam Web Thailand Forums
    Message Edited by Jeffro on 02-26-2009 12:07 AM

• Changing Keyboard (Hardware) AZERTY to QWERTY

Hello all,
    I need to know if it is relatively easy to change the keyboard (hardware) on a 17" Macbook Pro (Azerty to Qwerty). And any good sources for buying the the QWERTY keyboard.
    Thanks in advance for any help, Gary

That's not a user-serviceable part, so you're going to have two problems replacing that keyboard:
    1 - You won't be able to order the part unless you're in GSX.
    2 - You'll probably (but not definitely) void the warranty by replacing it.
    The good news is that you don't have to replace the key-board, you just have to rearrange the key tops and change the input method.
    There's a web-page that explains the process better than I can:
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/dvorak.html
    Just be very, very careful when pulling those keys off.
    17-inch MacBook Pro   Mac OS X (10.4.8)  

• Mac mini has hardware problems and moving to a Ibook

I have been using a mac mini as a home server for the past 4 years and it is having hardware problems. I have an old Ibook with a bad hard drive that was not being used for anything so I hooked up the external hard drive that my mac mini was using and have successfully booted up my system. Most things seem to work fine but there are a few problems. Is there some way that I can reinstall programs like itunes or update the system so that it runs the new hardware that it is using correctly?
    Thanks for any help

My mini is doing it as well. Just started doing 2-3 weeks ago. Logitech Denovo or Apple Bluetooth. Doesn't matter which. Loses it in about an hour or so. Al Keyboards and mice were purchased at about the same time as the core 2 duo mini, ~ last October.
    Must power cycle the machine to get it back and it must be paired again. Very annoying. Can't remember if it coincides with an Apple update.
    This mini has had the superdrive replaced twice, once within 6 weeks of purchase. Ever since Leopard, it's been close to the best media head. now this...
    Sigh.
    (What makes it not the best? Frontrow doesn't sort titles correctly [1, 10, 2, 3 - wrong!], doesn't force mount aliases in the movies directory, doesn't put out 1080p without hacking. And I'd so love eyeTV integration with Frontrow. It'd be perfect then.)

• Do new MBPs still have the keyboard "delay" problem?

Since the MBP software update does not seem to have resolved the issue of the keyboard "skipping" or "delaying" letters as I write, I wonder if this problem has somehow been fixed in the newest MBPs. And if so, whether it's been determined that it is a logic board issue, in which case I may bring my MBP back for replacement.
    Thank you for your help!

good question... searching these threads and on google will tell you all sorts of stories...
    a lot of people are convinced it is a hardware problem, which it could be, but I do not experience delays or intermittent issues and/or missing first letters all the time, particularly not in Windows Vista (which is unfortunately not a good sample enough to quantify, I rarely use Vista on my Mac).
    I have noticed no issues via my wireless bluetooth keyboard, mind you (perhaps a hint at the improper hardware under the laptop keyboard?).
    As some users have reported, having the keyboard replaced might changed the results, but it is a wild guess, since some still have the problem...
    Basically, this issue is far from resolved, is absolutely irritating, and has been known for a while. Another problem is that visiting an Apple Store may induce the humiliating experience of not being able to replicate the issue... I have brought mine in and some super nice Genius dude wrote about two paragraphs in TextEdit non-stop without even one single mishap... How embarrassing.
    He did believe me though, whilst he also claimed he had never heard about the issue. He offered to replace the keyboard in the laptop and the USB controller managing inputs and feedback from it, thinking like me that it could be anything between USB, keyboard, or the connections between them that might be faulty (an hypothesis raised many times over these discussion boards).
    I'm still unconvinced, and have not made a move. Mind you, I have a 3-years Apple Care coverage, and I could wait until three years from now if I wanted to, the way it works... This Mac I have is almost 3 months old, and I'm very sad I installed Leopard too, by the way. It is waaaaay slower than Tiger...
    Anyhow, I still wait on the software hypothesis, and hope for a patch... (one that works, that is, some other keyboard issues are "supposed" to have been fixed).
    Patience is a virtue, and I can't really lose my computer for any number of days, I need it every day for work and studies, and no, using another computer in the meantime is impossible (I have some hardware-locked data and programs that are more expensive than all the Macs I have owned together... And they are, hmm, involved in a sensitive sector of information...)
    Cordially,
    Dr Sly

• I have aspire e1-571g hardware problem

i am fungja basumatary from assam india and i have acer aspire e1-571g. i was having hardware problem of not charging then i tried to open the lower cover by unlocking screw but icould not open, after that i found that keyboard is not working properly. so if i change the body frame of the laptop will it be solved? and where can i get the new body of my laptop?

Try Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom: OFF
    Note: You may need to use 3 fingers to tap and scroll.

• When updating to  Mountain Lion I get this measageThis disk has S.M.A.R.T. errors. This disk has hardware problem that can't be repaired. Back up as much data as possible and replace the disk.

When updating to  Mountain Lion I get this measage
    This disk has S.M.A.R.T. errors. This disk has hardware problem that can’t be repaired. Back up as much data as possible and replace the disk.
    never had this before download of Mountain Lion.

As others have stated, this is a potentially catastrophic event.  Consider yourself lucky, as hard drives usually just fail wihtout warning.  Your disk could die at any time.  This is a mechanical / physical failure, not software related.
    Going forward, I would suggest utilizing a utility that monitors SMART status, which you obviously don't have, such as SpeedTools.

• My iphone 5s vibrates so loudly but my friend's iphone 5s vibrates just fine. can anyone tell me if it is any hardware problem?

i have bought an iphone 5s few days ago and i noticed that vibration of my iphone is different from other iphones. my iphone's vibration is so loud and noisy it is kind of rattly noise whenever i recieve a call or a text message, So i checked one of my friend's iphone 5s and it vibrates just fine. can anyone tell me why is it so? is it a hardware problem or what?

Do you have the same vibrate settings as your friend?
    You can check this by going to Settings > Sounds > Text Tone

• For the second time (I've been to the Genius Bar once already) my WiFi isn't working on my iPhone 4S. This is really infuriating and costly!!! I see others have the same issues.  Can't Apple do anything about this?  It's obviously a hardware problem!

For the second time (I've been to the Genius Bar already once with this) my Wifi isn't working.  They gave me a new iphone last time, but the new one has the same issue as the old one, I'm guessing.  I've tried resetting the network but that doesn't work.
    I see others have this issue too.
    If this is a hardware problem why doesn't Apple fix it?  Or do I just have to wait another year for another upgrade?
    Currently it's not costing me anything - yet - because I've got the Apple Warranty but this is totally frustating!!! I bought the original phone (which has been replaced in July 2012.  The new phone (without working Wifi) is a month old.
    Will try Restore via ITunes before (I will invariably) have to return to the Genius Bar for another Iphone 4S unless someone has an ingenius solution here?..?

sematson wrote:
    If this is a hardware problem why doesn't Apple fix it?  Or do I just have to wait another year for another upgrade?
    For what reason, other than making yourself look foolish, would you ask questions that we users could not possibly answer as we're NOT Apple?
    Basics from the manual are restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as NEW.  Nothing more "ingenius" to suggest than these steps that Apple has outlined in the manual.  If these steps don't work, then go back to the Apple store.

Maybe you are looking for

• Digitizer?

I have a powerbook and I wish to connect it with my video camera that is a super8 camera. It does not have the luxury of firewire so I heard I need something like a Digitizer that will take composite or S-video outputs from the camera and output to t

• Netflix Instant Play will not work with Firefox but works fine with Internet Explorer

When I log in to Netflix, I cannot play instant movies from my Queue. I called Netflix and they said to reset my router. I did this and now Netflix Instant play works with Internet Explorer but not Firefox.

• Scripts: Select an object with a note, duplicating and applying swatch

I am trying to write a Javascript that can do the following: 1) Select an object whose note has <Object Name> (so its layers is also selected) 2) Duplicate the layer of that object 3) Rename the new layer to <Layer Name> 4) Apply a swatch to the obje

• De-installign 8.1.6 on UNIX

I need to uninstall 8.1.6 on a UNIX server but I do not have the original disks and the installation is pretty hosed up as it is. Can i just remove the appropriate directories and env variables? Is this a clean way of de-installign oracle?

• Open .fmb file

hi every one, i create one .fmb in my home then i take one copy and i open it in my office but it showing to me error "Oracle Forms Designer has stopped working",about database is diffrent not same. but i want just open .fmb and i want take some code