Trouble connecting to Wireless Network with T40

Hi,
My girlfriend and I are on vacation and renting an apartment with wireless access and though she is able to connect with her much newer laptop I am having trouble. My laptop is an IBM T40 (2373), running Win2000 with the following wireless card
Cisco Systems PCI Wireless LAN Adapter #2
Driver Provider Cisco
Driver Date 4-2-2002
Driver Version 3.4.9.0
We were given what they called a username (lets say ourusername) and a password (lets say ourpassword)
After she has connected if I look at her properties it shows on the connectin tab ourusername for both the name and ssid and on the security tab is shows securty type - no authentication, encryption type WEP and dots for the network security key which presumably correspond to the password which we were given and she was prompted for when she connected.
The problem is that if I look at the properties for my wireless connection there is no place to enter the password and no mention of WEP. Is the problem that my driver is too old (forgive the lack of a question mark, and some of the other strange punctuation - on top of everything else her keyboard is laid out for spanish and I cant find a many of the punctuation marks). I should mention that I know that my hardware works as I use this card on public access points all of the time. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
-ts1971

Well try upgrading the firmware of the router & keep on holding tightly
the reset button in such a way that power light is blinking on the
router & then do a complete network power cycle i.e., unplug the power
cables from the modem & from the router & then plug in the power cable
to the modem first once all the lights are solid green you could plug
in the power cable to the router & check out it will definately work!!
Open the setup page of router using 192.168.1.1 then put in the password as admin...
all you need to do is do the wireless settings such as Radio Band Frequency to Standard 20 MHZ frequency,channel to 11.
Also,the advanced wireless settings to Beacon Interval=50,Frag
thres=2306 & Rts thres=2307 & then uncheck a Block Anonymous Internet
Requests & it will definately work!!!

Similar Messages

• Trouble connecting to wireless network with WRT610N

Need some help please.  I have a WRT610N with 3 laptops that I am connecting to the network.  I have been able to successfully connect 2 of them, but the third is a no go.  I have the security set for WPA-TKIP, have a network code set; but when I enter the code on the one laptop and try to connect it won't do it.  The laptop will connect via wired connection and will also connect wireless if I take the security off.  Many times I have noticed the security settings on the laptop will change after I have save them; going from WPA-TKIP back to OPEN-WEP.  I have tried everything, but no luck.  The laptop is running Windows XP Home edition on a Sonay Vaio PCG K-15.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Well try upgrading the firmware of the router & keep on holding tightly
    the reset button in such a way that power light is blinking on the
    router & then do a complete network power cycle i.e., unplug the power
    cables from the modem & from the router & then plug in the power cable
    to the modem first once all the lights are solid green you could plug
    in the power cable to the router & check out it will definately work!!
    Open the setup page of router using 192.168.1.1 then put in the password as admin...
    all you need to do is do the wireless settings such as Radio Band Frequency to Standard 20 MHZ frequency,channel to 11.
    Also,the advanced wireless settings to Beacon Interval=50,Frag
    thres=2306 & Rts thres=2307 & then uncheck a Block Anonymous Internet
    Requests & it will definately work!!!

• Can not connect to wireless networks with ipad 2

My ipad used to connect to the wireless net at home and in public areas.
    Now all by the sudden it can't "see"  the network.
    I have tried "everything" also on different networks,
    except resetting the modem.
    My iPhone works, as do all my other computers.
    Modem is Zyxel P2812

Look at iOS Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections  http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398
    iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks  http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3304
    iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199
    Additional things to try.
    Try this first. Turn Off your iPad. Then turn Off (disconnect power cord) the wireless router & then back On. Now boot your iPad. Hopefully it will see the WiFi.
    Go to Settings>Wi-Fi and turn Off. Then while at Settings>Wi-Fi, turn back On and chose a Network.
    Change the channel on your wireless router. Instructions at http://macintoshhowto.com/advanced/how-to-get-a-good-range-on-your-wireless-netw ork.html
    Another thing to try - Go into your router security settings and change from WEP to WPA with AES.
    How to Quickly Fix iPad 3 Wi-Fi Reception Problems
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/21/fix-new-ipad-3-wi-fi-reception-problems/
    If none of the above suggestions work, look at this link.
    iPad Wi-Fi Problems: Comprehensive List of Fixes
    http://appletoolbox.com/2010/04/ipad-wi-fi-problems-comprehensive-list-of-fixes/
    Fix iPad Wifi Connection and Signal Issues  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWtIG5jUxE
    Unable to Connect After iOS Update - saw this solution on another post.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4010130?tstart=60
    Note - When troubleshooting wifi connection problems, don't hold your iPad by hand. There have been a few reports that holding the iPad by hand, seems to attenuate the wifi signal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If any of the above solutions work, please post back what solved your problem. It will help others with the same problem.
     Cheers, Tom

• Trouble connecting to wireless network at work

I am having trouble connecting to a wireless network at work. Previously I have been able to connect to it, but today it says I'm connected but won't load any web pages.
    In System Preferences under Network Status it says: "AirPort is connected to the network lynksys. AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet."
    Any ideas? Thanks!
    Becky

beckymagic, Welcome to the discussion area!
    Many times this message is received when MAC address filtering has been enabled on the wireless base station. [This is also referred to as an "access list".] I suggest that you talk with the system admin and see if you need to add the MAC address of the AirPort card of your Mac to this list.

• Can't connect to wireless network with encryption.

I have had no trouble connecting to hotel wireless networks, or my college wireless network. However, when I try to connect to my home network wirelessly, or another family member's network wirelessly, my connection times out when I enter the username and password. I have a MacBook Pro if that makes a difference.

Try typing a $ in front of the password.

• Can't connect to wireless network with "conflicting" essid

Hello,
    My wireless card works perfectly (actually I am using ndiswrapper, but anyway) on Arch and I can connect to my home wireless network. I use iwconfig to connect.
    In my office we have a wireless network. It's essid is "default" and it uses WEP. I can connect to it using Windows, but not using Arch. Im running the following commands:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "default" key XXXXXXXXXX
    dhcpcd wlan0
    and it doesn't connect ("waiting for carrier..." and nothing happens)
    I guess the problem is that there is another network with the same essid - "default". I've tried to manually associate my card with my office network AP using iwconfig wlan0 ap XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, but it didn't work either.
    What should I do?

What kind of Wireless card do you have and what does it say when you do a lspci? So for me, I know I have a Broadcom and the way I found it was to do:
    lspci | grep BCM4312 (or whatever wireless make/model you have)
    or
    lspci | grep "Network Controller"
    The second option should also get it for you. From there, you can check out this list to see if that might help you with drivers (but then again, you might have known this already so...).
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ruffedgz (2009-11-23 21:03:42)

• Can't connect to wireless network with Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista

I set up a wireless network about a week ago, and have made it with the following security features: WEP, enable only certain MAC addresses to connect, and disabled broadcasting the SSID.  I have been able to use it just fine with my Mac computer using airport, but when I have tried to connect my roommates computer, a dell inspiron 1525 with vista, it can't connect.  I can locate the network but when I try to connect to the network, I get a message saying that for an Windows cannot connect to the network and that the Wireless association failed due to unknown reasons.  It then says to connect with your administrator, but that is me.  I have a minimal knowledge of computers just enough to be dangerous and am basically figuring this out as I go along.  If anyone has some advice for me, both my roommate and I will be very grateful.
    Thanks,
    - Jill
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Sorry I am not sure if this is needed but I am using a WRT54G router ver.6.

• Having trouble connecting to wireless network

Hello. I am having some difficulties connecting to my Linksys router from my Powerbook G4. Here is my issue... sometimes airport can find the wireless connection (called Linksys) and sometimes it can't. I don't understand why it does sometimes, but other times it does not. I have a brand new iMac that is always able to find the network through the airport. I've never had problems with connecting the iMac to the wireless network, it's the Powerbook that will sometimes not find the wireless network in the drop down menu through airport. I don't understand how one computer can and one computer cannot. I was thinking maybe it's because the airport card is a bit older in the Powerbook and doesn't pick up as many networks, but like I said, some of the time it works just fine and it stays working until I shut down the laptop. Any ideas? I appreciate the help.

Try the following on your Powerbook:
    1. Delete Preferred Network(s)
    - System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Configure
    - In the "By default, join:" pull-down menu, select "Preferred networks"
    - Delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list
    2. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries
    - Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
    - Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.
    - Restart, or log out then back in.
    3. Add Preferred Network(s)
    - System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Configure
    - In the "By default, join:" pull-down menu, select "Preferred networks"
    - Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
    - Restart or log out then back in.

• MacBook trouble connecting to Wireless Network

I just purchased my MacBook and I am having trouble connecting to my wireless internet. My computer finds my router but when it prompts me for a password I put in the number at the bottom of my router and it says that "it cannot connect to the wireless internet". What can I change or do?

2Wire routers are VERY problematic with Macs.
    A few people have gotten them to work.Many more,though,have not.
    If you do a search for "2Wire Routers",you may find a workaround that suits you.
    Personally,I would just pick up an "Airport Extreme" and be done with it.
    Jim
    PowerBook G3 500 Mhz "Pismo"/ 2.0Ghz BlackBook 2GB OWC RAM   Mac OS X (10.4.9)  

• Trouble Connecting To Wireless Network

Greetings,
    New iTouch with the new 3.0 software installed.
    iMac with Leopard 10.5.8
    Using a Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G, settings:
    - Home wireless network does not broadcast SSID
    - WEP with 10-key password
    - MAC filter enabled
    Issue 1:
    I entered my iTouch MAC address into the router's MAC filter list
    Using the wireless on iTouch entered the SSID and Password
    Result: Does not connect. What am I missing?
    Issue 2:
    Do I have to enter the network password every time or can I save the password in my ITouch?
    Thanks for your help,
    Matt

Thanks for the help,
    So, my kids don't use the Internet function with their DS, and the Wii takes WPA . . .
    I changed my wireless security settings to WPA2 with AES algorithms.
    Still didn't work . . .
    I then had to disable the MAC address filtering and . . . Presto! Connection Heaven.
    Don't like having to had disabled my MAC address filtering though. I double checked the MAC in the list for the iTouch and it was fine.
    Any known issues with the iTouch and MAC address filtering in wireless routers?
    Thanks everyone,
    Matt

• Power Mac G3 Pismo with Airport wireless card in Mac OS X 10.4 won't connect to wireless network  with  newest Airport Extreme Base Station set at WPA Personal/WPA 2 Personal encryption.

My Power Book G3 Pismo with an Airport wireless card  running Mac OS X 10.4.11 will not connect to my new Airport
    Extreme Base Station using WPA Personal/WPA 2 Person encryption.  The Airport firmware is version 9.52.  From
    posts I've read online at different places indicates the Airport card should support the WPA encryption.  Perhaps the problem
    is the Base Station is using a combination setting and the fault is in the base station?
    Thanks for any suggestions

Perhaps an inexpensive usb wireless adapter would work as well?
    This is probably the simplest way to get the G3 connected to the wireless network.
    I'll have to read up on getting an express and using it as a wireless bridge as I am unfamiliar with the concept.
    The new AirPort Extreme is broadcasting a wireless signal.
    A new AirPort Express could be located close to the G3. The Express will pick up the wireless signal from the AirPort Extreme, then provide an Ethernet connection to the G3 though a short Ethernet cable. 
    This can work very well......IF.....you keep the G3 at a fixed location, since it will always be connected to the AriPort Express using an Ethernet cable.
    I do have an old Linksys Wireless G router.  I wonder if that would work?
    In theory, yes. But it would have to use much older WEP "security", which is easily cracked in minutes using free tools available on the Internet. So, anyone who really wanted to get on the network could do so. It's an option, but not a very good one.

• UNABLE TO CONNECT TO WIRELESS NETWORK WITH APPLE WINDOWS COMPUTERS CAN

I am new to Apple and am trying to connect to our at home wireless network.Have a Linksys wireless router that is functioning as far as I know correctly.We are able to connect with windows based laptops.My Apple sees our network which is identified correctly and asks for a password.When we enter the password that functions for the other computers it does not work.I s there a configuration change I need to make.Maybe a password variant? I really want to get this up and running and am out of ideas.
    INTEL IMAC 20 IN 2.17 GHZ   Mac OS X (10.4.7)  

Are you using WEP, if you can try and use WPA.
    One of the problems with WEP is that the actual standard relies on a 10 character HEX key for 40bit WEP and a 26 character HEX key for 128bit WEP.
    In order to make things easier for people, vendors use certain algorithms to convert simple alphanumeric passwords (or passphrases) into HEX keys, thus enabling people to use simple memorable WEP password rather than lengthy HEX keys.
    The problem is that different vendors use different algorithms to generate the HEX key and therefore a ASCII password on an AEBS will be hashed differently on a Netgear client and vice versa.
    One thing is a 13 character 128 bit WEP password will be hashed by all vendors in the same way (if you use 40bit WEP then a 5 character password is required).
    Though sometimes not even that works and the HEX key must be used regardless.
    AirPort: Joining an encrypted wireless network
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424
    Choosing a password for networks that use Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP)
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108058
    WPA
    "WPA Personal" on the Mac corresponds to plain WPA, with a pre-shared key (PSK) and TKIP encryption, on non-Apple wireless routers. The same alphanumeric password should work on both.
    iFelix

• Connecting to Wireless Network with domain name and proxy servers?

Hi,
    I'm trying to connect to the wireless network at my college, however it's not as straight forward as usual... The network is hidden, although I know to 'Join other network' and type in the SSID of the network and then set the authentication method to WPA-Enterprise. However, this is where I run into a problem..
    To connect, I need to 'configure encryption as AES', which I'm not sure how to do on OS X. Furthermore, after signing in with my college ID I am required to 'Use the domain name [domain name]' and 'configure your browser to use the college proxy servers [example.example.net] on port [123]
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it's important that I log on to the network for work etc.
    Thanks very much for your time.

johnthompson1993 wrote:
    Hi,
    To connect, I need to 'configure encryption as AES', which I'm not sure how to do on OS X. Furthermore, after signing in with my college ID I am required to 'Use the domain name [domain name]' and 'configure your browser to use the college proxy servers [example.example.net] on port [123]
    The encryption should be configured automatically. To use the proxy:
    1. Open System Preferences
    2. Click on Network
    3. Select Airport from the list on the left
    4. Click on Advanced, near the bottom right
    5. One of the tabs will be called Proxy. Configure your settings there.

• Trouble connecting to wireless networks and slow connection.

For the past three weeks or so I've been experience difficulty connecting to networks I previously had no trouble connecting to. I'm only able to go about 15 feet or so away from a wireless router before my speed either drops through to the floor or the connection is lost entirely. I've tried looking through forums all over the internet, but I wondered if anybody had any insight into what I could do to get my wi-fi back up to speed?
    Thanks!

Try the steps in the blog post How I fixed my dropping wireless Airport connection problem in Snow Leopard to see if any of them help.
    Good Luck.

• Can't connect to wireless network with Apple Computers (WRT54G)

Hi.
    I have had a password protected router (WRT54G) for over two years that any pc will connect to if I give them the password.  However, my roommate has an apple laptop and he can't connect, no matter how many times we try.  I just got an ipod touch, and it can't connect to the network either.  We are inputting our password correctly - why can't apple computers connect to my wireless network??
    Again, my router is a WRT54G.
    Thanks !!!
    Message Edited by Debo24 on 05-24-2009 06:41 PM

Make sure you enter the correct password...To check your Wireless Settings follow this link
    If your Wireless Security is WEP then use WEP Key1 and not the Passphrase, make sure to enter a dollar sign on your Apple Computer when you attempt to connect...If your Wireless Security is WPA/WPA2 then use the WPA Shared key and no dollar sign is required...

Maybe you are looking for

• Problem with custom code in infoset query

Hi, I have created a infoset. In the infoset i added a few additional fields and wrote code in the field code for those fields. I saved and generated the infoset. But in the output of the query, i am getting blank values for those additional fields.

• In which directory should i keep java class files in oracle apps

hi I have one problem, In which Top & directory should i keep java class files in oracle apps krishna

• Web-service client for legacy web service

I currently access a legacy server (Lotus Domino 7) via CORBA. I thought a web service (my second) would be faster, but a whole day's research has uncovered only obsolete or trivial examples. The WSDL generated by the server is rpc/encoded so wsimpor

• Question on troubleshooting

HI all, Since the iTunes 7.7 "upgrade," I've been having some odd issues with my iMac and Apple TV. Since this forum is for the latter, I'll restrict my question accordingly. My Apple TV no longer shows up in iTunes on my iMac. I've checked "Look for

• Cancelling an LOV

I have an LOV setup for a field, the field is required and needs validating from list. (i have set these in properties) The form enters in query mode and when you click on execute query the LOV comes up as it should but when you click cancel when it