7 On T61

Hi,
I have installed windows 7 after XP on my T61 however I noticed that some things are missing like the blue button doesn’t work even after installing all updates from Lenovo system update and windows update please advice...
Thanks....

Hi Khalifa,
I think installing following drivers should solve the blue button problem:-
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74261
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?lndocid=MIGR-57556
Hope it helps.
Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
IdeaPad: U350
Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
  Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Similar Messages

• Memory limitation on T61

I have the following Lenovo notebook :
    Product: ThinkPad T61 8898-55G [change]
    Operating system: All [change]
    Original description: T7100(1.8GHz), 1GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1024x768 LCD, Intel X3100, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 4c Li-Ion, WinVista Business 32
    I configured my Notebook with a Dual-boot Windowx XP Pro SP3 and Windows Vista Bussines SP1 (32 bit)
    I have 2x 512 MB PC2-5300 667 MHz DDR2 memory inside.
    I read on the Lenovo site :
     Memory Compatibility
    (**) Windows Vista supports up to 4GB maximum memory (32-bit versions of Windows Vista cannot support 4GB). Windows XP supports up to 3GB maximum memory
    I like to update my memory with
    2x 40Y7734 1 GB PC2-5300 667 MHz DDR2 
    or
    2x 40Y7735 2 GB PC2-5300 667 MHz DDR2
    I like to know if I choose for 2x 2GB , will :
    Windows XP SP3 work just fine only it works with 3GB instead of 4GB installed memory
    Window Vista SP1 (32-bit) with the 4GB (even not supported) work stable ?
    Because the prices of 1 GB and 2 GB won't change much nowadays.
    I prefer to use 2x 2GB modules, but I like to know will it work (even with the memory limitation) stable on XP or on Vista
    or it is better/safer to use 2x 1GB modules
    Can anybody help/explain me or advice me ? 
    Electronic
    Message Edited by electronic on 01-16-2009 09:51 PM

You're better off with 2x2GB, you may decide to run a 64-bit OS someday...and you will notice a difference between 2GB and 3GB when running a 32-bit OS.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• How do I Find/Set/Change a Bluetooth passkey on a T61 laptop with the Lenovo US/Eng Vista OS image?

I purchased a T61 two years ago. It came with the Lenovo Vista Ultimate OS, US/English.  The T61 has Bluetooth, which I never used until now.
    I try to pair a cell phone and a PDA (both Palm devices) with the T61, and the devices ask for the T61's Bluetooth Passkey. I don't know what the passkey value is, nor do I see anywhere to set, change or enter it.
    This is how I know the the Bluetooth device driver is working on the T61: 1- The BT icon shows in the taskbar, the BT controt panels open, and even in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Bluetooth Devices, the phone name shows up. And strangely enough, at the bottom of the control panel, when the phone is listed (is discoverable), it shows "Paired: Yes", "Authenticated: No", attached image shows these values.
    I'm stumped. Where do I lookup, set or change the T61's Bluetooth passkey?

Unfortunately that is not working. I've tried 0000, 000000, 00000000, 1234, and 123456 as the keys.  No popups, no response whatsoever on the T61. 
    The devices seem to wait some timeout period and then a message "cannot connect to T61...". I don't have the exact message here in front of me, but can get it if need be.

• T61 - Half theCore speed at maximum performanc​e mode.

Hello,
    My T61 was bought during March 2008. I recently installed CPU-Z and was bit worried since under maximum performance mode, the CPU was not throttling to full speed (with AC power).
    The core speed is showing approximately 1200MHz. FSB is showing around 800Mhz. It is a penryn T9300 processor and I believe it should be 2500Mhz. Is there a setting somewhere on the power options that needs to configured to attain the maximum core speed? OS is XP SP3 clean install.
    Thanks for any help,
    Regards,
    Thanimai

You have to actually put quite some load to get the machine to work at its full throttle...while I'm typing this my ThinkPad is showing a core speed of 1199Mhz (it's a P4M 2.0) and trust you me, it would take quite a bit to get it up to the max, and your CPU is far newer and can take a lot more without shooting up...
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• Windows 7 too slow on T61

Hello,
    I decided to ask for some help after having tried several ways of getting my T61 configured properly with windows 7 without success.
    Previous history: My T61 was bought with a XP pro downgrade from vista, and it worked extremally well for two years. More, a few month ago, I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit with a non-lenovo DVD to which my place work is licensed for. A this time there was no system update 4, but system update 3.14 for vista. By installing 3.14 and running the updates and skipping the compatibility warnings, the result was an extraordinary (!) good installation. I had to go to the lenovo website to download updates not listed in the system update. I ran windows 7 64 bit in this way until last week. It was very good in booting time, smooth responsive and very stable. So no problem! I then updated to system update 4, which is very slow in loading and which I disabled. Again, no problem in perfomance issues. This is the fastest lenovo I had. It is an UZ0AQGE with the processor of an UZ0AMGE (2.5 GHZ) and 2GB RAM. I use fortran and matlab extensively, no problem. Everything was fine, from the installation or detection of new hardwares etc, inlcuding the latest BIOS which was amaziny only an optional update in system update 4 (instead of critical). Only was missing presentation director but this is lenovo´s problem. Conclusion, this T61 with windows 7 64bit was a beauty.
    Last week I decided to reformat the drive and make a fresh installation to use the laptop for other purposes. Before reformatting the hard drive for a fresh install, I uninstalled from the windows control pannel all the softwares one by one just to see how the computer behaves. Here the OS became suddenly extremally slow. I do not rememeber if this was after or before having changed settings into BIOS. Typically my changes where in the I/O devices in security to enable or disable unecessary stuff like bluetooth or modem. I reset to F9 and rebooted, no success to get it running as before. The OS is very slow, windows take time to appear and disappears. The event viewer pops up very slowly with a pre-gui "Adding snap-in to console" that stays for a few seconds. The OS became unusable anymore. Recall this is the original installation which was really good. I checked virus scan, no issue found. Obviously i suspected that this uninstall of softwares is at the origin of the bugs.
    Here goes the new install, with the same DVD I used a few months ago, fresh intall with full reformat of the drive. Without any software from lenovo or windows update, the OS is as slow to boot (40-120 seconds, compared to previous 25-30 seconds). The updates where now done with system update 4 directly and not the 3.14. System update does not propose the graphic driver, whereas the website does, nor does it propose the intel chipset driver (which I still do not know if I need to install...). I tried many configurations, from system update 4.0 or from the lenovo`s website, with or without the chipset update, with or without the storage manager driver. With or without fingerprint and/or powe manager etc. The Audio worked badly from the windows DVD, and installing the soundmax from system update fixed the audio issue but did not solve the overall problem. I did something like 4-5 fresh installs to figure out the bug. No chance at all. I downloaded thinkvantage toolbox and it sees no problem. Nor does windows 7 troubleshooting. But the event viewer, always as slow with snap-ins points at several bugs, mmc.exe, SMSINit, TPPWRIF, FontCache, explorer.exe,wordpad.exe,BackgroundprefetchTime, and others I do not remember! I also tried to disable all I/O ports in BIOS. I disbaled security chip, AMT. Enabling them did not help. On thing strange, is that the BIOS default settings disables the Serial Port. Is this normal? I tried with Serial port enabled and it did not help. I tried with the parallel port with disable and default settings. I tried with a windows 7 32 bit version and it did not help neither. I also tried with the lenovo storage manager driver on a USB flash loaded during the DVD installation such that windows 7 takes it into account during installation. Once the OS loaded, I checked that system update 4 does not present it as an update, as expected, but this did not solve the problem.
    Is there an obvious solution or way-through I go to? I do not know at all if this is an OS problem or computer problem, such as BIOS or else. I tried booting with msconfig in safe boot mode, but it did not solve the problem at all. I could try with the lenovo XP discs I have and which I know work, but this will require 7 discs to be loaded, so I prefer to ask you before proceeding.
    Thanks for your help,
    xtex
    T61, UZ2AQGE 2.5 Ghz, XP Pro SP3
    T400s, NSF20UK, 2.4 GHz, SSD 128 GB, Vista B

I tried it also on my T61p --> worked.
    The only problem I have: my harddrive gets only a acore of 2.9 --> so there is a issue with the SATA (?) driver or something,...

• T61: Paid $1,800, suffered for 6 months, only to have to spend $100 on XP to (hopefully​) make it functional​. Let's hope I don't mess it up and void my warranty :)

Dear Community:
    Here is the saga of me and my T61. I have tried to love my T61, and it has broken my heart.
    Last spring, I was accepted to law school, and I began searching for a notebook computer. If you know nothing about law school, you should just know that we use our computers in every class, every day. Knowing that I would need something reliable and hardy, I asked consulted with my friends in engineering. Unanimously (with the exception of the occasional Mac fanboy), they recommended the thinkpad. It's tough as nails, they told me. It will last me for years, they said.
    I ordered my T61 in May. It was caught up the the shipping problems, and took over a month to ship. No big deal. I was annoyed by having it take so long to ship, but I was not peeved too much.
    Since then, I have been in hell. From day one, this machine has crashed daily (running Vista Home Premium). It crashes when I search the internet. It crashes when I type in word. It crashes when I play freecell. An honest estimate is that this computer will crash at least once every three hours. I'm sure that much of the blame for this goes to Microsoft, but I hope that you can sympathize with my plight.
    Even if we look past the crashes, and that everything runs slowly with Vista, I've had my host of hardware problems. The screws that hold the palm rest on back themselves out about once a month. It's a minor gripe that I should have to tighten screws on my laptop, but it honestly concerns me that I should even have to take a screw driver to it.
    Also, there has always been a sizable patch of dead pixels (About the size of a "b" in Times New Roman, 12pt.) on the right center portion of the lcd. They stare at me every day. They anger me every day.
    My T61 has already been in for service once for a fan that stopped working. I was the only person without a computer in class that week. Sure, it wasn't much fun trying to take notes by hand, but I can live with things like that. They happen. I'm honestly impressed with the turn around time and the courteousness of the tech that helped me over the phone.
    Last week, I tried to watch a DVD. Something must seriously be out of balance in the DVD player because the noise from it vibrating drowned out the speakers so bad that I couldn't understand the dialog in Michael Clayton from about six feet away.
    Yesterday, I was finally pushed over the edge. With only 5 word documents and one pdf file open, IT LOCKED UP IN THE MIDDLE OF MY CRIMINAL LAW EXAM! I lost an hour worth of work on a three hour exam. I imagine that to someone not familiar with law school, I sound like a neurotic tool for freaking out about this, but I almost broke down and cried right there. We're graded on a strict curve, and I have a tough enough time making grades having to compete against my capable class mates. I hate that I'm going to receive a worse grade than I should have because I also had to compete against my laptop.
    I feel like I have been lied to. I bough a think pad because I was told they are bullet proof, and this machine has turned out to be a complete lemon. I've babied this machine, searched diligently for patches that would help the system freezes, packed it in a padded laptop bag every day, and it has done nothing but hurt me every day. How can I obtain a refund so that we can part friends?
    Best,
    John
    Message Edited by Jpx72x on 03-20-2008 08:53 PM

Jpx72x wrote:
    From day one, this machine has crashed daily (running Vista Home Premium). It crashes when I search the internet. It crashes when I type in word. It crashes when I play freecell. An honest estimate is that this computer will crash at least once every three hours. I'm sure that much of the blame for this goes to Microsoft, but I hope that you can sympathize with my plight.
    (snip)
    Yesterday, I was finally pushed over the edge. With only 5 word documents and one pdf file open, IT LOCKED UP IN THE MIDDLE OF MY CRIMINAL LAW EXAM! I lost an hour worth of work on a three hour exam.
    given your experiences with daily crashes, why would you entrust your thinkpad to survive a three-hour exam without crashing or locking up?   if your thinkpad is to be used in a mission-critical environment then why not instead use a proven OS such as XP or server 2003?   i sympathize with your overall experience but, with all due respect, fail to understand why you wouldn't be more proactive in finding a solution to your above problem–especially as a law student who is learning to analyze and interpret our nation's legal system.   i apologize if i sound overly critical here but if i were your professor and you came to me with the same story above then i would ask the exact same questions.
    it sounds like all of your problems can be fixed.   crashes and lockups can be fixed by installing vista clean or by switching to XP.   dead or stuck pixels in your display can be fixed under warranty if the defects meet replacement criteria.   screws backing out of your palmrest can be fixed under warranty by replacing the palmrest and associated screws.   and, the DVD player, if defective, can also be easily replaced under warranty.
    i doubt lenovo will buy back your machine because of the aforementioned issues but i'm sure that their service department can make thinks right one way or another.
    i hope everything works out for you.   good luck.
    ThinkStation C20
    ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30 · 600

• T61 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win8 - general approach that may work for other models

I recently tried to upgrade my T61 from 32-bit to 64-bit Win 8 using the $39.99 download.
    DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING THIS, IT WILL FAIL.  HOWEVER, IF YOU PURCHASE THE $69.99 VERSION WITH BOTH 32-bit AND 64-bit MEDIA YOU CAN DO IT (no downloadable 64-bit ISO to burn your own.)
    Lessons learned:
    1. Although not "spec"ed officially, a T61 will take 8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 GB modules).
    2. The $39.99 download gives you the version you have - if 32-bit, it is not smart enough to ask you if you want 64-bit.  After 2 hours of download and install, you will end up with 32-bit Win 8.  Therefore, bite the bullet and buy the $69.99 hard media once (time *is* money).  You can buy additional $39.99 upgrades on-line - all you need is the  serial # to use with your original "hard media" - it can be used with either the 32- or 64-bit.
    3. The actually ugrade went much better than expected.  By going from 32-bit to 64-bit I got a clean install.  Win 8 had drivers for virtually all devices except one - the SIMM stick driver for the Ricoh 4-in-1 card reader.  This was identified after floating the error code out on Google.  See the following to tell you what device(s) is (are) missing  - www.pcidatabase.com
    4. I usually partition my disk into C: (active), D: (disk image and data back-up , internal), and E: (utilties and OS ISO's to do an internal restore).  I always clone all 3 partitions to an external drive incase of complete HD failure.  This became essential after one trial instal of Win8 32-bit (before I figure it out), I ended up with CHKDSK's in XP on virtually every reboot with no errors found ??!!  In other words, assume nothing...
    5. The new version of System Update 5 is of virtually no use for a T61 - the only driver/utility identified was Active System Protection for 64-bit.
    6. So what is the alternative to System Update?  There are several device driver updaters out there - like Slim Device, Driver Doctor, Driver Reviver, Driver Genius, etc., etc.  I ran several and they seem to find most of more specific drivers.  Just remember some drivers are 32- or 64-bit specific, others one driver works for both.  In general Win 7 drivers will work for Win 8 (or so I understand).
    7. Fixing the Metro UI, no Start Button / Start Menu problem.  What can I say, I hate the new UI - I am a developer/statsitician and have work to do.  There is an answer - a "shell" that can immediately replace the Start screen  with a Desktop, Start button, and Start menu of your choice of styles Win 2K, XP, and on.  There are several of these.  I have used Classic Shell (classicshell.sourceforge.net).  There are several others.  Is it perfect? - no, but I now have a functional system that I can use all 8 GB, loads relatively quickly (faster than 32-bit XP with 3 GB of RAM enabled out of 4.)
    8. Older software *does* work.  I still use Office 2003, SPSS 12, Stata 8, and contrary to MS' effort to get you to the latest Office, for my purposes, these are compatable.
    9. Would it work for the T4x series?  I don't see why not.  As I mentioned, the included driver database seemed pretty functional.  The real question is whether the Pentium M series is compatible; you'd have to try.  I do know that MS tried to tell me that the Core Duos in the T6x series were not, but that is why I gave up with MS support after hours on the phone (again, time *is* money).
    Bottom line - once again MS rolls out an OS with no clue.  On the other hand if this if Win 7.5 and is relatively stable, then it just might be worth the effort.
    Good luck!

More details:
    When attempting recovery, the exact error message is: "The recovery attempt has failed. Select one of the following buttons: Save Log, Details, Retry". Save log supposedly saves the log to a USB stick, but the file (HP_SSRD_LOG.CAB) is only 2 KB and doesn't want to open as a CAB file. Retry just starts the hours-long process again - with the same result.
    Clicking the "Details" button gives me a log (CTOERROR.flg):
    [ 2:08:20.17] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Detect some error during PININST_BBV.
    [ 2:08:20.17] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log
    [ 2:08:20.17] ChkErrBB.CMD :  or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log
    How's that for most useless log entry ever? Especially since c:\system.sav seems to be a hidden directory, and the Notepad window showing the current log won't display hidden files... and when I pull out the hard drive and inspect the directory structure, there aren't any files by that name...
    There is, however, a BurnBootMergeBBV1.log file, containing a couple of interesting lines:
    [ 2:04:45.80] 3C12 Factory Update CD for Microsoft QFEs Installation for Windows 8 Launch Fixes Installation State
    [ 2:05:49.65] KB2750945 install fail, ERRORLEVEL=-2145124329
    [ 2:05:49.65] Result of the 3C12 Factory Update CD for Microsoft QFEs Installation for Windows 8 Launch Fixes
    RESULT=FAILED
    Standard Error information...
    Standard Out information...
    Result=FAILED
    No idea if that's related or not. I'd still like to try updating the BIOS; if anyone can create a USB thumbdrive with the BIOS on it (using a Win8 machine) and post the files it contains, I'd really appreciate it.

• Please help - Totally locked out of T61

Bottom line:
    I am totally frozen out of my T61, stuck at the BIOS. I can apparently do absolutely nothing, including access info on the primary HD or the secondary HD in the DVD slot.
    I now get this error after the laptop recognizes my fingerprint: <Error 0199 - System Security. Security password retry count exceeded>
    The BIOS settings are at the bottom of this post, if that helps.
    The only possible things that I know of that you could use to help me are:
    The Lenovo does actually recognize my fingerprints, which apparently means zippo.
    My two Windows administrator passwords worked find until this locked me out totally.
    I do have hardware so that I can attach these two hard drives to other machines, where I have been able to read/write to these drives, at least until now.
    ===================
    HOPEFULLY RELEVANT HISTORY.
    About a year ago I remember exploring the password functions on my T61. Probably getting too cute. But it never bit me on the butt until now. I am beginning to realize how much I didn't know then, learning today that there are 3 different passwords IN ADDITION to my Windows password. Oops.
    It appeared today that my biometry hardware is getting dicey. Sometimes it would recognize this finger, other times not, sometimes that finger, then not. So I started wandering around in the security part of CSS, trying to see what I would have to do if the biometry froze up on me completely. 
    That is when I discovered that apparently I created a supervisor password. Apparently much worse, at one point in the last 5 hours of trying to figure out what was going on I typed in what I thought might be the correct supervisor password too many times. 
    My backup plan was apparently misguided and has failed - I have a second HD, with one of the partitions a bootable WinXP partition, but when I swap in that one (normally in the DVD slot) for the primary HD, this error STILL crops up and I am still frozen, can't get past the BIOS.
    Smelling possible disaster, I was in the process of backing up all of the data on that HD to the second HD when my machine went into hibernation before it totally locked me out! Agh agh agh. It had filled up about 50 GB, my hope is that what I truly need is now on this secondary drive.
    Rant: I can do NOTHING?! This has totally frozen me out of EVERYTHING? My T61 is TOAST? This is really me, the one-and-only-ever owner of this laptop, probably no one that was stupid enough to try to steal this semi-obsolete laptop could have screwed this up so totally. My incredulity is high. Doesn't anyone remember the reason for the UNDO function, or the purpose for "idiot proof"? I am close to dropping this Lenovo on its head to see if it has a change of heart or giving it ECT treatment, which would be equally helpful, but mostly thinking about buying a different very non-Lenovo laptop, yesterday. If I screwed up once, by thinking that more security was better than less, this machine should be more forgiving than this, especially if it recognizes my **bleep** fingerprint. At least Dell hardware was reliable, even if I couldn't understand tech support. Enough rant.
    ===================
    Any help humbly and gratefully accepted. I'm going to go blow off some steam but keep checking here to see if any kind soul will be merciful. I have just wasted too many hours that I needed to be spending on getting ready to teach on Monday. If I need to bail on that ****** laptop totally then it would be very helpful not to pour more hours down this rat-hole.
    Thank you,
    - Befuddled, with blood pressure rising
    =====================================
    Using passphrase          ENABLED
    Supervisor password    ENABLED
    Lock BIOS      ENABLED
    Set min. length  12 characters
    BIOS password at unattended boot      ENABLED
    Power-on password     ENABLED
    HD1 password             User+Master
    HD2 password             Disabled [this is my secondary HD in DVD slot]
    Password reset  service            ENABLED
    Status               IN PROCESS
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Well I have a lot of success to report and a big mystery still unresolved.
    I'm typing from my Lenovo!! I'm able to get into Windows, access all information (fingers crossed) on my hard drive, and found out that I had succeeded in backing up most of my important information to that secondary drive.
    Before I reply to and digest your last two posts I need to take a sharp detour to want to make certain that I have successfully backed up everything off of my primary HD, and then I will come back here and report. So it will be a while until I post again, maybe even a few days because I have to catch up work that didn't happen today.
    But I wanted to let you know what happened and what worked.
    ==================
    This is how I succeeded in getting into my system.
    First and possibly most importantly, I was documenting every step that I was taking in order to report in here, and so by doing that it occurred to me, "Why this step?" and not another.
    These are the steps that I recorded in order to show that I kept getting to this 0199 error no matter what I did.
        > Turned on machine normally
        * It prompted me to "swipe finger to authorize access"
        > Swiped finger
        * It showed and skipped the 'power on' and 'hard drive' passwords, since I had successfully figured those out
        * It shows me a nasty looking screen saying:
              ERROR: 0199 System Security
              security password retry count exceeded
        * Press [F1] to get into setup utility
        > I press F1, get into setup utility, which is a total dead end where I can affect *nothing*
    If I then reboot the whole process recycles
    What I did that got me out of this mess was to press <Esc> instead of [F1]. It occurred to me that I didn't have to press F1.
    Eventually, once the system got through some momentary confusion, mostly based upon the fact that the secondary drive wasn't hooked up, I got into Windows.
    ==================
    So I am going to log out for a while until I feel reasonably secure that I have backed up my data. I will come back here to follow up, because I don't think that this 0199 error is going anywhere.
    Also I think that I hit "this resolved the problem" by mistake a second ago on your last post. If I did then that was a mistake, because it would be better to do that for whichever one of these posts would point people best in the right direction. Would you help me out with that? Since you are the moderator you will have a better sense of that.
    Of course it depends on how you define "the problem"! Getting back into my data, programs etc. certainly does seem like the real success. But this 0199 error is a real problem.
    Should I split off a different thread about the 0199 error?
    =================
    All of that said, hip hip hooray!
    After a touch of exuberance I will get my nose back into the tedious work of backing up my machine.

• T61 with memory leak on XP for driver battc.sys

Hi
    I have an issue with XP where the battc.sys module that is part of Windows XP and responsible for the kernel side of monitoring the battery status. This module continually leaks memory until I have no more kernel paged resources left and programs start to fail on my laptop.
    I raised a support case for this with Microsoft and after some investigation and upgrading to the latest T61 power drivers that were released a few days ago on the Lenovo site, MS support told me it is a fault of the T61 and that I would need to disable Microsoft APCI support to stop this memory leak from occuring and to take the issue up with Lenovo.
    I have used the verifier tool to confirm that it is the Windows XP SP3 battc.sys memory module leaking.
    I am running the latest T61 drivers and fully patch with MS drivers on SP3.
    As MS have told me it is the fault of the T61 I am posting this issue here.
    Thanks
    Stephen

It is memory available to the kernelwhich itself does not show under a process in task manager as far as I am aware (unles it is taken account as part of the system process).
    The best way to measure the available kernel memory space available is by using sysinternals procexp.
    You need to download procexp and also install the windows debugging tools from Microsoft. Then in procexp set the "Options > Configure Symbols : Debughlp.dll path" to the new debughlp.dll installed with your debu tools and set the symbols path to srv*c:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Then you can choose in procexp "View > System Information" and see the used and total paged and non-paged kernel memory space.
    poolmon helps monitor all the symbols that are taking up this memory and verifier lets you drill down to the exact module and the changes in memory for a module that is occuring.
    Here are two really good links on it
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2006/12/18/Understanding-Pool-Consumption-and-Event-ID_3A0...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2008/05/08/tracking-down-mmst-paged-pool-usage.aspx
    In my poolmon i notice that Mmst and battc are taking alot of memory after my computer has been running for some time. Mmst being high is normal but battc should not continually be growing as it is which is why I raised the case to MS but they want verification it is not a Lenovo issue.

• Memory Upgrade for T61

Hi friends,
    I have a T61 7663-xxx system, with 1 GB PC2-5300 667 MHz RAM. My Front Side Bus is 800 MHz ( I think so!), Everest software reports my memory controller is dual channel capable, and ~ 85% physical utilization of RAM. I have a nVidia Quadro NVS 140M 128 MB graphics card, but Everest reports 512 MB ?
    I would like to upgrade my RAM, and buy some online.
    a) Should I buy a similar 2 GB PC2-5300 RAM for my system for performance boost, running Windows XP 32 bit? If so, should I buy Lenovo RAM only, for maintaining my 3 year warranty intact?
    Only ThinkPad and Lenovo memory will assume ThinkPad and Lenovo notebook systems limited warranty
    b) What are the other best alternatives for good quality, reliable laptop memory,  besides Lenovo?
    c) Would it be better if I am able to buy RAM which can match my FSB? Will this have any performance benefit? Do these similar FSB speed RAM exist?
    Kindly suggest top memory makers, if any.
    I could not find any Lenovo 800 MHz memory from their website.
    Kindly help me solve my memory upgrade problem.
    I am a mechanical engineering student, hence I don't have any idea about FSB and the like, so I request the learned members to cast light on this area.
    Info about reputed online sites in US, with fast delivery will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards,
    Raiden
    TU Hamburg, Germany
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hmm.  As far as I know, the internal graphics card can't be upgraded.  There's some dock you can buy that lets you add a graphics card for use with an external monitor, but I don't know much about it.  The cpu is more likely to be upgradeable, but don't attempt unless you know a decent amount about hardware servicing.  Also, make sure the cpu will be supported by the motherboard!  Best not to buy one with a clockspeed higher than what Lenovo sold (core 2 duo at 2.6 ghz).
    Why do you want to upgrade so much?  I run 2.1ghz with discrete graphics and 2gb ram under Vista, and it runs beautifully.  If you have integrated graphics, then that might be a bit of a pain, but hey, you've got better battery life!
    Anyway, I'd look more into de-cluttering your computer to speed stuff up.  Remove anything you don't need, especially Lenovo tools that run in the background and you may not need.  Turn off search indexing (slower searches, but faster overall performance).  There are some nice guides online, if you google "vista tuneup."
    Good luck!  Enjoy your T61 as it is!  It's a lovely laptop

• Intel Turbo Memory 4GB on T61 ICH8M Controller

The little 1GB Turbo Memory on my 4GB RAM system was of little use.  So I had the great idea of buying the 4GB Turbo Memory card so I could use User Pinning.  Unfortunately, I didn't read that it only works with the ICH9M  Serial ATA controller - my system has the ICH8M controller (which only works with the 1GB module).
    Now I've got the 4GB Turbo Memory module installed but neither ReadBoost or ReadyDrive are usable.
    Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions now to make this work?  It's a type 6459 T61.
    Thanks
    Herschel

In Thailand, There's someone that can use ITM4GB with T61, ICH8M chipset but It can use ReadyDrive only (ReadyBoost not work!).
    You may try this step
    1. Update Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver at  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70477
    2. Double Click Install will extract files to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM\PREPARE
    3. Double Click at install.exe
    4. Restart, press and hold F1 key and Config Sata -> ACHI
    5. Save & Exit Restart & Give a try
    With ITM4GB, you can use ITM Dashboard to configure application you want to ITM load, so these app will run faster and they also claim that battery usage time is up about a hour. I don't know it will work for your case or not. Good Luck...

• Windows XP Pro doesn't recognize new hard drive on T61 thnkpad

Hard drive: 160GB 7200 RPM SATA
                        The Lenovo part number for the new hard drive on my invoice is: 41N5737
                        However, the sticker on the hard drive itself has this Lenovo part number: 42T1057
                        It is made by Hitachi.
    Thinkpad: T61 (8891-CTO)
    OS: Windows XP Pro SP2 (newly purchased, shrink-wrapped)
    This thinkpad had Vista Home on it. I bought the new hard drive for the purpose of loading a just-purchased copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 on it (. After installing the new hard drive:
    1. I turned on the machne and inserted the Windows XP CD.
    2. Files from the CD (drivers, etc.) started being loaded (into memory, I guess).
    3. Then got a prompt to select whether I'd like to install a new version of XP or restore an existing version.
    4. I selected Install a new version.
    5. Then I got a message saying Windows could not find a hard drive on my machine.
    6. Then I restarted, and interrupted the restart to look at the BIOS config settings
    7. I found the hard drive test function, and started the hard drive test.
    8. It took a while, but the hard drive test was successful. So hard drive is OK, and the BIOS is aware of it.
    How can I make Windows XP aware of my new hard drive?
    Thanks for any help....
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Tdc3, welcome to the forum,
    change the BIOS settings in Config > SATA to Compatibility Mode from AHCI.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Problem with T61 and DVI External Monitor (via Advanced Mini-Dock)

Ever since I upgraded to Vista SP1 on my ThinkPad T61 (with an Intel integrated 965 series graphics card), I've been having problems when I try to use an external monitor via the DVI port in my Advanced Mini-dock.  I'm curious if other people have experienced this problem.
    The problems surfaces when I first boot up, or sometimes after my ThinkPad has been running for awhile (particularly when I do something graphics related, such as right-clicking to open display properties).  The picture starts to flicker (or disappear and reappear, like the screen does when changing graphics resolutions).  I also hear the "ba-bum" sound that you hear when disconnecting a piece of hardware, followed by the "bum-ba" reconnection sound - these two sounds happen repeatedly (sometimes as fast as once per second).  If I don't do anything, sometimes I'll get a bluescreen.
    Not long ago, I found a fix of sorts: to stop the flickering/reconnecting, I just open Task Manager and stop the process called "igfxpers" (an Intel driver problem).  The problem always disappears after I do this, although I have to remember to do it every time I reboot or else the problem comes back.  So it's not an ideal fix.
    This problem doesn't happen when I connect an external monitor using the analog VGA port, or when I'm just using the notebook LCD.  It's limited to just the DVI connection.  I've tried two different digital monitors (one LG, the other BenQ) as well as two DVI cables - the problem is still the same.  So it seems like a driver problem of some sort - unfortunately, the Intel drivers haven't been updated since last February.
    I should also note that I've tried reinstalling my OS two or three times, and the problem always comes back.  Has anyone else had this problem, and is a fix on the way?

Error Message:
    Input signal out of range. Translation:
    You will see this on an otherwise blank screen. Assuming that the data cable is plugged in correctly, the video card is feeding the monitor a signal stream in excess of what the monitor can accommodate. The two main causes for this are that the user has set either the resolution or the vertical frequency rate too high. For example, you might set a new graphics card to display at 1,280 x 1,024, but if the monitor is only capable of 1,024 x 768 resolution, you’ll get a Sync Out of Range error. This is especially common in 14-inch monitors.
    Solution:
    Because you obviously can’t make settings changes from within regular Windows, you’ll need to reboot into Windows Safe Mode. When you restart the system, there is a point during boot up when the system switches from reporting diagnostics and detected components to loading Windows. This point is usually accompanied by a beep and the screen going black. Just before this point, you want to start repeatedly pressing the F8 key. This should bring up a menu of Windows boot options. The one you want to pick is Safe Mode.
    From Safe Mode right-click the Desktop and select Properties. Go to the Settings tab and use the slider to drop your resolution a notch or two. Reboot and let Windows try to go into Normal mode. If this still doesn’t work, go back into Safe Mode and get to the Settings tab of Display Properties. Click the Advanced button, go to the Monitor tab, and check your refresh rate. The lowest advisable rate is usually 60Hz, although this works better for LCDs (liquid-crystal displays) than CRTs (cathode ray tubes). Apply the change and reboot.

• Issues with a T61 harddisk, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, cannot also get in the Rescue and Recovery

Dear Lenovo Support Community,
    I have a T61 with XP pro on it. This is the history of my harddisk problems with it:
    (the harddisk is HDD0 Fujitsu MHW21160BJ G1 and everything in laptop (HW and SW) are same as the factory sold one)
    1. Unfortunately I had not made any recovery cd/dvd when the computer was healthy
    2. Some time ago, after a crash, and during the chkdsk in the following boot up, harddisk showed 12kb bad sector
    3. Due to more crashes and not being able to login once, went to rescue & recovery and only recovered OS to an old and healthy state. Kept my data, lost all the new programs installed but got the OS fine and running. --> I guess the bad thing that may have happened is that recovered OS may have used those bad sectors as well, but this is just a guess.
    4. Problems, slow downs, the 12kb bad sector, issues kept coming back every couple or few weeks. Repeated the rescue and recovery OS installations another two times.
    5. Few days ago, all was good, but needed to restart, but this time a blue screen came up with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. This screen comes up even if I try to go into safe mode, with networking, or even with only DOS prompt.
    6. Tried to go to rescue and recovery (version 4), it took a really long time and was telling me that something wrong with the file \minit\setupapi.log and after a long long time that it got in the page for rescue and recovery, it was not doing anything by clicking on any of the buttons.
    7. Took the hard out, connected it through an external enclosure to another computer, the main drive could not be read at all, I/O error, not distinguishable.
    8. But the SERVICE drive was understood and I could even run chkdsk /F F:\ on it and it repaired the file mentioned above (\minit\setupapi.log).
    9. Put the hard back into T61, went to rescue & recovery, this time the error on the file was not showing up, but since the step #8, I have not been able to get pass the initial screen of rescue & recovery. It doesn't go in at all.
    10. Found it through Google search, the famous post on this forum about fixing the Master Boot Record. Got the little program, burned on a CD, went through all of its steps, finished as described in the famous thread, but I am not sure if it has been any help to me so far.
    11. In few other occasions, connected the hard through the external enclosure to another computer and found online and used programs like Disk Doctors Windows Recovery Data and EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard and was able to just read inside both NTFS main disk and FAT32 service disk (windows can also read the service disk but cannot read the main disk). Using the free version of EASEUS, I could even read and save my personal data since my last backup, so I am good to even format the T61 hard but still I don't want to give up on that.
    12. While the lenovo harddisk is in it, in a restart went to BIOS (F1) and ran the harddisk diagnosis, It said: "Pass: Controller Diag, Error code 0000: Read verification failed". And after the "Test complete", it gave a red message in the middle of screen that "<<< An error was found. Call for service >>>"
    13. As mentioned in #1, I don't have Lenovo's recovery Windows XP CD(s) for T61, but I have some other windows xp installation CD's, I thought I can put them in CD drive, boot up from CD, and try to recover or repair the windows, It seems that they tell me there is no harddisk in your computer!! When I press "R" to go to recovery console, it tells me: "Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer."
    My questions for dear members of this forum are:
    1. Can I recover my T61 harddisk with the above description? It is being read nicely with the recovery programs, so it should have not been damaged seriously. Please guide me to other things that I can try?
    2. I can see and read the Service part of the drive from Windows (no recovery program needed) while connecting the drive through external enclosure to another computer. Can I run a program from the Service part of disk and make those T61 Recovery CD and DVD?
    3. If I purchase the Recovery CD(s) from Lenovo, would they be doing any magic or help in my case described above?
    4. Can I make recovery CD(s) from another T61 laptop and use them for mine?
    Thanks all for reading my long post and helping me. God Bless.
    Best Regards,
    AL_K

Step One: Install windows
    Step Two: run system update
    Step Three: Your done (optionally have a beer and relax)
    Sorry, step three was a bit of humor I added.
    Actually these recovery CDs were produced before the first T61 was made, probably in 2006. The T61 line was replaced in 2008.
    You can activate with the code on your COA, I've done it many times, just make sure you do a full (new) installation, not an upgrade, from an oem disc.
    If you do end up using the original product recovery disc set, your steps are more like this...
    1. Install disc one...   wait 30-60mins
    2. Install disc two...   wait 30-60mins
    3. Install disc three...  wait 30-60mins
    4. Install disc four...   wait 30-60mins
    5. Install disc five...  wait 30-60mins
    6. Install disc six...   wait 30-60mins
    7. Install disc seven...   wait 30-60mins
    8. Install disc eight...  wait 30-60mins
    9. download latest service pack for windows and install (over an hour)
    10. Install (replace old version)  system update and run.
    11. go to windows update and update several years worth of patches and hotfixes. (1-4 hours)
    12. kick back and have a warm beer and cold pizza, if there is any left after I finished hours ago and celibrated already.
    Also, after going through all that, you've not only installed windows, then replaced nearly the entire operating system, but you've also used valuable harddisc space to make several redundant copies of the outdated files, drivers and apps. 
    Please understand, I'm not saying the recovery discs are a bad design, they work great, and back in 2006-7-8-9 I'd happily go through all that work, but today all the stuff on them is to old so it's futile to go through all that. It would be really nice if Lenovo updated the install discs, and we could download the latest version to use, but they basically just leave them untouched after the model line is released, so nothing on that disc is newer then about 2006.
    I'll also add that both George and I have done this well over 100 times each, so we wouldn't be suggesting this if it wasn't the best option, but in the end you'll have a working system no matter which route you take to get there, so the only question to ask yourself is...
    Do you like your beer cold and your pizza hot  
    Good luck, and enjoy your endeavours
    ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)

• (solved) T61 swap cpu? (everything you need to know about swapping a T61 or T61p CPU)

Edit: I've summerized everything I've learned in a week long search and added it to this topic, so scroll down and read. You'll save yourself many hours of reading and research. 
    I asked this as part of a prior topic but never got a definite answer, so I'll ask this specific question.
    Can I swap a cpu from one t61 to another?
    Donor system: T61 15.4widescreen with T9300 cpu (2.5ghz, 6mb cache)
    New System: T61 15.4 widescreen with T8100 cpu (2.1ghz, 3mb cache)
    I'd like to know for sure before I begin. Best answer I got so far is "I think so".
    ps. I also have a 14" (non-widescreen) t61 with a T7300 cpu (2.0ghz 4mb cache). I'm thinking the larger cache makes this superior to the T8100 even though it's slightly slower, do you agree? and if not, should I put the leftover T8100 in it? will it fit? more trouble then it's worth? (secondary question, but non-urgent)
    ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I'm going to add some additional info to this post to help anyone who reads it.
    The T61 / T61p was manufactured with one of two different types of CPUs
    Merom (older)
    Penryn (newer)
    If your system board came with a Merom and you install a Penryn, you'll get a false "thermal error" on boot. There is a 3rd party bios to block that error from posting, but it's unauthorized by Lenovo and should be considered experimental.
    If your system board came with a Penryn, you can install either of the two CPUs.
    If your not sure of which CPU you have, load your bios and it will show you it's intel number. Mine is T9300 (which is a 2.5GB Penryn CPU with 6MB of cache). Go to Intel's website and search that number and towards the top of the page it will say something like "formerly Penryn" (I believe "formerly" is used because they are out of production). 
    Example: http://ark.intel.com/products/33917/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9300-(6M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)
    Since Penryn is newer, your Merom boards won't be able to run the faster CPUs, so you can either try to find the fastest Merom CPU, or if you want to be daring you can reflash your bios with an unoffical firmware and run the Penryn. Although this has been done successfully with thinkpad enthousiats world-wide, it still won't give you full Penryn support. 
    The fastest Merom processor I know of is that a T61 will run is the T7800 It runs at 2.6ghz and has 4MB cache (note that this is slightly faster ten my 2.5gz Penryn, but my 6MB of cache more then makes up for the slight difference in speed.
    The fastest Penryn processor I know of is that the T61 will run is the T9500 It runs at 2.6ghz and has 6MB cache (some day I'll get one of these when the price in the used parts market drops low enough.
    There are faster processors, but I believe the T61 will not support one with a front size buss rate above 800mhz. *note, if anyone knows if this is possible please contact me and I'll edit this information.
    This should fully explain all the technical details I've discovered during my investigation, but to make this topic more complete, I'll hare a photographic guide showing how to remove and replace your CPU and cooling fan, and also addresses replacing your thermal paste (proper use of thermal paste is a MUST, to much and you could end up with a T61 paperweight, to little and you got the same problem. Basically when the heatsink is tightened down onto your CPU and GPU, it should spread to cover all the chip, with as little as possible overspread. I recommend Artic Silver #5, which is made of 99.9% silver filings. They also make a less expensive version that uses alumimum instead of silver, but given that T61 is known for thermal problems, you don't want to get cheap paste to save yourself all of $5. 
    Buying a new fan should be considered too. You can buy the fan alone for $12 includinng shipping from many ebay sellers. The heatsink and fan can also be purchased as a unit, but your heat sink should last the life of the Laptop. There is also a conductive "pad" that transfers heat from your systemboard chipset. This can be reused, just make sure it is intact and don't allow it to get any dust or finger prints on it. I'd also recommend a can of compressed air to blow out the inside of the laptop. Do this before you remove your cpu, you don't want to be blowing crap into the socket.
    Also be very careful not to bend any pins on the CPU, and inspect the new CPU carefully, a slightly bent pin could miss being detected and if you insert the cpu carelessly, you'll crush it.
    Online guide to replace CPU
    PDF guide (better guide in my opinion)
    If anyone has a suggestion for improving this guide, send me a P.M.
    If you found this information useful, click me some "kudos" so I'll know the time spent in sharing the info I learned is appriciated.

• T61 NVIDIA driver not working?

Hello!
    I have a really old T61 (Type 8895) and I updated it to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit from it's original Windows Vista Home Premium recently, which means all the drivers are gone.
    So, I went to Lenovo Support and searched for it's drivers, and one of them was a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (v296.88) driver.
    Each time I try to install it, it tells me: This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
    I decided to get a newer driver. So, I went to NVIDIA's website, got the newest driver (v320.00) and still, it would give me the same error.
    So, I googled the problem, still couldn't find the problem I am having.
    What is going on? (I need the laptop for some testing before I decide to get a new laptop and waste money)
    Thanks!
    Sincerly,
    Majid or Mayood00
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Your model 8895 doesn't have nVidia graphics, it has integrated Intel graphics but this is a good thing since the nVidia chips sometimes fail on similar equipped models. You want to install the graphic drivers for the Intel GM965 that matches your windows version.
    If you want a more detailed explanation, the nVidia chips used in T61 series built before August 2008 sometimes fail resulting an need to replace the motherboard. Your system is a 14.1" with standard 4:3 screen. This size was phased out starting in the end of 2007 and general production stopped about May or June. We've never seen any of this size manufactured in August 2008 so the only way to get a board with a Good nVidia chip on one of these is an extremely rare new replacement board. The supply of these boards has been exhausted for years but there were recently a few found still sealed in the original IBM boxes. These rare boards generally cost about what the used laptop is worth, but are still a good investment considering this is the last and best Thinkpad made before the switch to the widescreen format, it's also the only standard screen model that supports 8gb of ram. Many users retrofit these T61 boards into T60 models too since they had better screen options. 

Maybe you are looking for

• How can I maintain the classification in UI when creating a new BP?

SAP CRM 2007 (UI) Hi, In SAP GUI the classification can be maintained in tab “classification”. How can I maintain the classification in UI when creating a new BP? Thanks for your support. Regards, AV

• How to make Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.Steps reportable ?

Hi, I am creating a report using report builder and I need to drill down report of test execution. I would need Steps counts of test case. For that I need to mark Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.Steps reportable. But when we try to upload that to server, we get e

• Java hangs

Hi all, I am facing an issue in java. Problem, The sever stop responding to anything, it just hangs, cannot be restarted unless killing java process through task manager. does not respond to hprof, jstacktrace, jvisio, console, anything. the problem

• A good Flash E Commerce solution for AS2 and 3.0

I have a client who will want an e commerce area for his site. Does anyone recommend a  good Flash based program out there that will allow you to constuct an e commerce solution in both AS 2  or  3 . I know that is a lot to ask for but at this point

• Printing JFrame

HI i am tryin to print the second class which is pasted below .. The printer dialog comes up but the page does not print .. it just comes out blank .. can any one please help :S //this class is used to open the class below .. import java.awt.*; impor