Abnormal amount of flex in T400?

I just received my T400 yesterday, and there seems to be quite a bit of flex in the screen as well as the keyboard. Is this normal, or should I worry?
The keyboard seems flexed 1-2mm around the E key, and there is a highly-noticible bump between the ThinkVantage and power buttons at the top of the keyboard (around 1mm). The screen has a convex shape (looking into the screen), probably about 1-2mm around where the cable goes into the LCD screen from the body. The rest of the laptop is great, but I'm worried about this becoming a larger problem down the road.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Hub,
If you feel your keyboard is exhibiting some abnormal flex check out this thread:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?message.uid=75261#U75261
Where you can request a replacement keyboard that is similar to those used is the T61 systems. Although many still experience minor flex with the replacement, it should improve the overall feel of your keyboard significantly.
As for the other issues with respect to the chassis/screen, I've experienced similar symptoms in a number of T400s I've used as well. Though my critisms lie mostly with the right side of the notebook above the optical drive. The overall build seems rather weak. Have a look at my thread:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=26866

Similar Messages

• T400: Very bad experience

I really don't know where to start, I have had so many problems with the T400 from the past one month! So, let me start at the beginning: 
    PC Config: WinXP, P8600, 4 GB Ram, 160 GB/7200 RPM, ATI 3470 card.
    1. I got the the PC the 2nd of October. Out of the box, the computer was slow, much slower then my one year old Dell Vostro (1.6 core2duo, 160 GB/5400 RPM, 2 GB RAM, Win XP). The Vostro trumped the T400 both in boot time and regular usage. 
    2. I then started having issues with the display. Started getting weird lines on the screen. The speakers were making a screeching sound and there were some issues with the microphone as well. Called up Lenovo tech support and sent the PC to the service center. To top it off, I had a very bad keyboard with abnormal amounts of Flex and a displaced thinklight which was illuminating me rather than the keyboard. 
    3. The folks at the service center replaced the system board and also said they fixed the speakers. 
    4. I got the computer back and I continued having issues with sound. Sometimes, it doesn't play. And when it does, it has that screeching sound again. The PC was incredibly slow too. No improvements in the booting speed or speed during regular use. The didn't fix the computer back properly and everything from the plastic around the display to the case around the over the media card was loose. I could make out they hadn't put it back properly and I would press it in and it would come out. Moreover, the computer started hibernating all of a sudden. It is so irritating when you are in the middle of a presentation and all of the sudden the computer goes off. I had to restart it constantly. It also hibernates suddenly when I start up the computer from hibernation mode. I enter the windows password and once I'm in windows, the PC hibernates. 
    5. I called up technical support and told them all these issues. They said I can send it back in again for repair. I told 'em I would rather want the PC replaced rather than send it to repair again since I may have start having issues with it again. After 8 factory restorations, moving 100 GB data around each time and installing all applications again, I was fed up. 
    6. They agreed to replace the PC and I got the new computer today i.e.., 4th Nov '08. This is where things get interesting. The computer started up normally and I got the initial settings configured. Once I got into windows, the first thing I did was restart the computer. As it was booting, it froze at the XP loading page. I restarted the computer via the power button, and the same thing happened. I continued restarting for another 3 times with the same result. So, assuming a bad OS installation, I went ahead and did a clean install through thinkvantage. As the installation was going through, at some point of time, the PC restarted and got stuck at the same XP screen again. I restarted it a couple of times until, fortunately it went through. It then started installing applications and for some reason, it restarted and again got stuck at the XP loading screen. As of now, it is stuck there and won't go through.
    7. I got on the phone with tech support and the only thing they could do was to send it to the service center. 
    A brand new computer right out of the box is heading to the service center. It doesn't feel like a new computer any more the moment it goes to the service center. I'm utterly and totally disappointed with the way Lenovo is building these computers. If this is the case, I might as well take my business elsewhere. 
    I don't know if I'm the only person out here with such problems or if there are any one else. And, I apologise for such a long post.. Please tell what I can do now. I don't want to go through the same headache again. 

If it was 'really dark/ clear' then why sales guy was offering me a contract with a phone? Also, he said everything is clear from their side when I said I am interested in the best buy offer. This is very bad when you are ready to sell on your contract, but don't allow customers to buy from others.
    Just wanted to let you know this 'customer service' as I spent more than half day in long waiting at both best buy and verizon shops... I thought I would get some solutions... Anyway, I moved on...

• What Configuration for Thinkpad T400 running Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit?

Hello,
    I will soon be assisting in the purchase of a new T400 for a friend of mine to use mainly for finishing up her Masters thesis on and also to use for her work as a teacher.
    She will be going from an old Dell latitude x300 (which died of course) that ran Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit. I have finally convinced her that a Thinkpad T series is the way to go and that it is worth it to pay the extra money for durability and quality.
    It will be pretty much a base system as she doesn't have a whole lot of money to play with but right now with the pretty huge sale going on I hope we can get a good deal.
     My question is what kind of configuration should I go for while customizing the system? I don't want to opt for a wifi card that's going to cause problems etc.
    I did look at the thinkwiki.org site and it looks like most things work fine but some things may have issues, though I'm not sure how up to date that information actually is now that Ubuntu 8.10 has had some time to mature a bit.
     So what I would like to know is if there are any little things that may not work that I should know about:
    Bluetooth - Looks like it works according to thinkwiki.org
    What wifi card to use?
        ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III  
        Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology [add $20.00]  
        Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology [add $40.00] [Lenovo recommended]
     I'm thinking stick with the base option but maybe having AGN functionality will be worth it for somewhat of a futureproofing idea. Is the Intel 5100 worth the extra 20 dollars? Is it fully functional now? What is better about the 5300 chipset that makes it more expensive than the 5100 chipset? Are either of these worth it? I don't want them if they are going to need some kind of hacking to get to work.
    Understand this computer is not for me. It's for an english teacher who is Not a techie at all. But is comfortable using Ubuntu for basic things. I just don't want an update to break wifi everytime like it did on her old dell with the boardcom chipset.
    I'm thinking pretty basic for the screen: 14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight, Camera
    How well does the camera work? Looks like it should work fine but I want confirmation of this. She will be using Skype with it preferably with video conferencing so that her 1 1/2yr old daughter can talk with her father when they move away this summer. So functional video is a must.
    For card slot I'm thinking:  Express Card Slot & 7-1 Media Card Reader
    How well does the media card reader function? She will be using this to transfer photos off her camera. Regular sd cards work fine?
    I appreciate everyone and anyone's input on this especially with this being a somewhat time sensitive purchase as the sale will end this week and she needs a new machine ASAP for her thesis writing.
    Also, should would be getting the 6-cell battery instead of the default 4-cell. How much wiggle does a 6-cell have in the new T400's compared to the 9-cell in the T61's?
    I purchased a T61 with 9-cell battery for my mother last summer (Running Ubuntu) and I must say the battery wiggle is absolutely horrible! One of the mounting hooks on the battery itself has become damaged and it's not from over abuse. I can't imagine the massive amount of flex/wiggle helped it at all.
    I'm thinking a 6-cell on this one would provide decent enough battery life but not protrude as much as the 9-cell and hopefully be a bit more durable as I am not impressed with the 9-cell.
    Oh and by the way, the video will just be the base integrated intel video, not switchable graphics as that will be unneccesary.
    Sorry for the long winded post but I (we) certainly appreciate any clarity we can get!

I see you have already purchased your T400. But for others reading this, I'd recommend going with the integrated (Intel) graphics rather than the discrete or switchable graphics. As jrsmartyn said, cutting-edge hardware can present a challenge with Linux. But Intel is much more active than ATI/AMD right now with Linux driver development. That doesn't necessarily mean smooth sailing with either choice: you'll need a recent distro for Intel graphics support as well. But the near-term future looks better for Intel than for AMD graphics support.
    The switchable graphics is interesting if you require higher performance than integrated graphics can provide. But it's complicated and new and I've seen many complaints that it doesn't work smoothly, especially with Linux. Another disadvantage to switchable graphics is that it seems only the ATI graphics have access to the digital video outputs (integrated DisplayPort and DVI on dock). A better option than switchable graphics may be to use an Advanced Dock with PCI express video card.
    Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
    Did someone help you?
    Say thanks! with a kudo.
    Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

• Posting of PF related amounts to Accounts

Dear Consultants,
    While posting payroll results to accounts, I observed that all PF, Pensions, EDLI related amounts are multiplied by 100000. I know that as thses values are very small, for sake of accuracy, they are multiplied by 100000 during calculation. But while posting it should consider the actual value. Now it adds these abnormal amounts in other normal amounts & gives wiered results. eg. Basic of employee = 10000 is added to the EE PF contribution 1200. but system added 120000000 + 10000.
    It is proper or some thing is going wrong. I am worried about wrong amounts being posted in accounts.
    Regards
    Bindumadhav

yes in the standrad it will get * with 10000
    check INED in the normal we need to write the PCR ZNED
    and we have to / with 100000 /3F7  /3F9  /3F8
    and that amount has to be posted to FICO
    generally EDLI charges will not be posted to FICO

• T400 boot time takes long time & has issue with restart

Not sure if any one has already posted this and got replies...
    my T400 has a strange issue. it takes a lot time in pre-boot... a cursor blinks on the top left corner for 5+ minutes and then loads the 'Windows loading...' screen for about another 5 mins and finally shows the windows logon screen.
    Additionaly, when i hit shutdown, i am fine. if i hit restart - i am sitting there for ever. 
    my laptop has 8GB RAM + 256 GB SSD + Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Srini,
    I brought your tweet in and started a new thread and then found you already had a forum discussion going, so I'll just apend to your original thread and will leave this since I tweeted the link back to you to let you know we were taking a look.(Apologies) 
    Does this abnormally long startup of your T400 occur when docked or by itself?  On battery or on AC power?   
    Have you checked the boot device order in BIOS?  Make sure HDD is listed first.
    Are there a lot of applications being loaded in the startup folder?
    Have you tried using the MSCONFIG utility (start -> run ->msconfig) and then selected the startup tab to see what programs are being loaded during boot and if you can uncheck some that you don't always need to load?
    This could reduce your boot time.  I believe this, along with some setting tweaks was suggested in a similar T400 slow boot thread here...
    Perhaps other members will have additional suggestions....
    Mark
    ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
    Mark Hopkins
    Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
    twitter @lenovoforums
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Controlling amount of space inserted with tab key

Currently I get a style="margin-left: 40px;" added when I press the tab key.
    How can I change that amount to an additional 24px for each successive pressing of the tab key?

Apfelwurm wrote:
    Yes, I understand that the photos take up a certain amount of space.
    We'll have to find out why.
    You could also sync your iPad without syncing any photos.
    Afterwards you can sync the photos again, but not before you have assured yourself that the photos do not take up an abnormal amount of space in the original directory on your Mac. And I mean the OS of your Mac, not 3rd party software.
    Does software written by Apple as part of the OS count as 3rd-party software?
    And I'm not sure why you are so focused on finding out the size of the individual files beyond what I've already stated.  iTunes and the iPad report 76 photos as taking up 3.96GB (or 3.95GB) of space.  None of those 76 files are that large.  This is after multiple soft and hard resets and multiple restores.
    I certainly don't own a camera capable of taking pictures where one photo takes up 53MB of space.  In addition, none of the 76 pictures come from a camera that I own.  They are all small files downloaded from websites that I have manually saved.  As I stated, the files range in size from 13.7KB to 1.2MB.  All small files.

• Slightly bent frame on T61, causes many creaks and flexes

After using my Thinkpad T61 for about 2 months, I just knew there was something that didn't feel quite right about the build quality. The palmrest showed a noticeable amount of flex, and one of the rubber feet was elevated 1-2mm off any flat surface (only the center part would touch the table). This basically meant that the frame wasn't completely straight on my Thinkpad.
    I compared my Thinkpad to 2 from my friends; one is a 14.1" just like mine (but integrated graphics) and shows absolutely no flex in the classis. The other, a 15.4" T61, showed a very slight bit, but much less than mine.
    What will Lenovo do to fix the bad build on my T61?  I am in college right now, so it would be inconvenient unless Lenovo could cross-ship me a new unit. However, the bad build quality on mine really annoys me, especially with the Thinkpads' reputation for great chassis quality.  The entire right side of my laptop literally moves up and down about 3-4mm if pressed on, even lightly.
    Also, would Lenovo let me keep my HDD? That way, I could just pop it into the replacement without having to worry about backing up work or re-installing Windows all over again.
    P.S. The headphone jack on mine apparently seems to be a little faulty also; I have to orient my headphones at a very precise angle, or I hear a lot of hissing in the background.
    Thanks in advance
    Here is a picture of the "bent" right side; notice that the rubber feet don't make full contact with the table.  I've tried this on many flat surfaces and it creaks and flexes whenever I put my right hand on the palmrest.
    Picture of right side; notice the elevation (Picture was taken from below so in reality it is WORSE ...
    Picture of left side; notice it makes full contact with table
    Message Edited by myang322 on 10-18-2008 01:48 PM

Hello,
    yes, the T61 have got some flex at the right side above the hdd.
    R models are heavier but have little flex, the T model are made out of very light
    and carbon enhanced plastic materials. You can try to put a piece of thick paper under the palm rest.
    The chassis and audio problem have to be repaired and I would suggest to send it to depot.
    Please mention your palmrest flex also.
    You can dismount your hdd to keep it at home. It´s a CRU (customer replaceble unit).
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
    Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
    I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
    TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
     English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

• Does your Macbook Pro Flex like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH1HI...e_gdata_player
    am I just being paranoid???
    The amount of flex is tiny but it is enough to notice.

You are being paranoid.  You are seeing some of the give of the hinge, as the display as it is adjacent to the keyboard actually floats a mm or two on either side, and is not 100% parallel.   The hinge keeps it apart.  It is not supposed to have anything lean against it.  If you store it in a bag, make sure nothing is weighing it down.  A foam protected bag should have nothing inside with the machine between the foam and the machine.

• Abnormally Slow Powermac G4

I have a powermac G4 that is now about 3 years old. I have used it frequently over those years and have never had a problem with it, but once I installed 10.4 all the user acounts have been extremely slow, except the original acount created which works fine. Every time I switch between a Program or go to the Finder it has to think for about 10 seconds before it will switch, and during those ten seconds it is unresponsive. Also, when on the user/ non- admin acounts, It tends to freeze an abnormal amount. (It usually freezes up about 3 or 4 times a day). I don't use the computer a whole lot, but my family does, and i've finally gotten around to asking about it. I've tried installing more memory, and that didn't work, so I was wondering if you had any other suggestions?

I've had similar problems ..not constant. But a real drag when it happens... - and I'm still at 10.4.3 ATM ..
    I suspect Tiger in general of course - because my system has remained untouched and the probs only started after the upgrades ...
    Activity monitor (and little 'procesor window') shows nothing strange (but then it is conceivable that IT may being affected too in some way and may not be being updated whilst the processor is actually looping at 100% frantically doing something else..)
    my probs are same with orig main admin account.
    LONG pauses unresponsive - incl to KBD [CMD-OPT-ESC, F9, F10, F12] - for changing apps, in finder... if things are bouncing in the dock .. they slow/stop/restrt/ in 200Ms jumps with larger gaps .. it'll even affect me when I'm typing a phrase omitting letters in what wd normally be in the type-ahead buffer - they don't appear at all - as if the processor etc is completely unresponsive - in bursts .. I have 768 meg of ram which shd be plenty for the load .. this 'keyboard' thing happens even when I don't notice 'unresponsiveness' - letters 'drop out' when I'm typing - as if I'm having short 'mini-freezes'... in addition to the long, noticeable ones (it's happening now as I type ...)
    Like you, I tried more memory which immediately made the problem worse - AND introduced freezes etc - even tho latest techtools pro etc report that the mem tests ok ... going back strictly to my original mem config (same dimms, same slots..) helped somewhat .. - worth you checking - these beasts can be very finicky about memory .. - like witchcraft
    The problems appear to get worse the longer it's been since cold boot. - Is this so with you? It also worst when more apps, more windows are in use ...
    My 'sixth sense' for these things associates the probs with these :
    * a Finder internal problem. - Sometimes I've done nothing but 'relaunch Finder' and the probs often go away a while ..
    The system as a whole seems to do a lot of unnecessary paging (why page when there's plenty of free Real mem ?) Maybe there's a bug in memory handling somewhere.
    * Spotlight - a suspect. [gonna try turning it off/disabling].
    * Safari - a suspect. The problems appear to get worse if it is or has been running. I'm going to switch to Firefox exclusively for a while .. RSS may be part of it. Safari seems to need WAY too much real & virtual mem and eat too many processor cycles (like 280MB of Real and 580MB of Virtual for a few windows & tabs = 11 threads and regular jumps to 30% proc when it isn't really doing anything...... Why ? - those numbers look silly/incorrect)
    *memory config changes .. check as advised. try resetting PRam.
    * something in Dashboard. I may try disabling.
    ON several occasions, the pauses hve [note that last word) turned into an apparent complete freeze - I try various things to cause an interrupt/change in status - unplug network/usb/KBD.. then back in .. no help .. yet, when I go to another system on the network, expecting no response, it responds to pings .. so I try SSH - a brief delay .. and I'm asked for a PW .. another .. and I'm in .. terminal IS responsive : TOP doesn't appear to show anything odd .. - I kill a few things and eventually responsiveness returns . I save what I can and cold boot.
    I've noticed a number of times that SystemUIServer goes 'unresponsive/not responding'. Its Parent process appears to start additional Copies of it - but it IS unusual.
    ATM, I'm toying with going up to 10.4.4 and whatever else there is . If that doesn't work, I guess it's back to the latest 10.3.x.
    Have you made any changes to or had problems with USB lately ? I have a feeling it's also involved somehow.
    Will advise.
    Anyone with a similar set of probs, please DO post here . This is a weird one.

• Report Performance degradation

hi,
    We are using around 16 entities in crm on demand R 16which includes both default as well as custom entites.
    Since custom entities are not visible in the historical subject area , we decided to stick to the real time reporting.
    Now the issue is , we have total 45 lakh record in these entites as a whole.We have reports where we need to retrieve the data across all the enties in one report.Intially we tested the reports with lesser no of records...the report performance was not that bad....but gradually it has degraded as we loaded more n more data over a period of time.The reports now takes approx 5-10 min and then finally diaplays an error msg.Infact after creating a report structure in Step 1 - Define Criteria......n moving to Step 2 - Create Layout it takes abnormal amount of time to display.As far as reports are concerned, we have built them using the best practice except the "Historical Subject Area Issue".
    Ideally for best performance how many records should be there one entity?
    What cud be the other reasons for such a performance?
    We are working in a multi tenant enviroment
    Edited by: Rita Negi on Dec 13, 2009 5:50 AM

Rita,
    Any report built over the real-time subject areas will timeout after a period of 10 minutes. Real-time subject areas are really not suited for large reports and you'll find running them also degrades the application performance.
    Things that will degrade performance are:
    * Joins to other dimensions
    * Custom calculations
    * Number of records
    * Number of fields returned
    There are some things that just can't be done in real-time. I would look to remove joins from other dimensions e.g. Accounts/Contacts/Opportunities all in the same report. Apply more restrictive filters, e.g. current week/month to reduce the number of records required. Alternatively have very simple report, extract to excel and modify from there. Hopefully in R17 this will be added as a feature but it seems like you're stuck till then
    Thanks
    Oli @ Innoveer

• My MacBook Pro is running very slow recently

Hello,
    I bought a MacBook Pro about a year ago for school, and everything was perfect until about three days ago. I woke up one morning, and used my laptop to do simple stuff like browsing the Internet, check Facebook, etc, and then went to class. When I came home later in the day, and tried to use my laptop, it was incredibly slow.
    Firefox was taking minutes to load, and the pages that I'd usually browse in seconds would take much longer than normal to load. The spinning beachball was a constant companion whereas before, I hardly ever saw it. It isn't only Firefox that is slow to load, but other apps like Word, and even Finder takes a long time to get going.
    I've done some searching on my own to try and find the cause of this problem, but there has been no solution. To save everyone the time, I've done the basic things like opening my Activity Monitor and checking for any programs that are taking up abnormal amounts of space. Here's the information from AM:
    CPU:
    % User: 0.63
    % System: 5.75
    % Idle: 93.62
    System Memory:
    Free: 2.38 GB
    Wired: 1.14 GB
    Active: 440.0 MB
    Inactive: 38.5 MB
    Used: 1.61 GB
    4GB RAM
    I've got 444 GB of 499.24 GB free, so it can't be a lack of space.
    I've sorted everything in my "All Processes" tab by Real Mem, and the largest user of memory is kernel_task, but that can't be the problem with my laptop. Other than that, there are no programs or applications that take up an absurd amount of space.
    I've also gone and repaired my disk under Disk Utilities, and it said that everything was okay, and nothing was out of the ordinary.
    My caches have been cleared from both Safari (which I haven't used since I download Firefox) and Firefox. I even went ahead and reset my Firefox just to make sure nothing was being overlooked.
    I've backed up all my important notes and documents into an external harddrive, so I'm not worried about losing any important data.
    I logged into my guest account to check if there was just a program in my main account that was making it slow, but things took a long time to load on that account, too, so I'm thinking this is more of a hardware issue.
    The OS is up to date, but when I tried to install Mavericks it froze right at the end and said there was an error, and to reinstall it from the App Store. I should note that I updated the OS and installed Mavericks after the laptop began acting up, not before, so I wouldn't think either are responsible for this slowness. Currently I'm using OS X 10.8.5.
    Spotlight isn't doing any indexing, so that isn't a cause of this either.
    So now I'm stuck on things to do, nothing stands out to me as irregular, and the MacBook itself doesn't make any loud, unusual noises when I'm on it.
    Any help would be appreciated, if nothing can be found then I'm just going to take my laptop into a shop to get it fixed.

1. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve the problem. But with the aid of the test results, the solution may take a few minutes, instead of hours or days.
    Don't be put off merely by the seeming complexity of these instructions. The process is much less complicated than the description. You do harder tasks with the computer all the time.
    2. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. Backup is always a must, and when you're having any kind of trouble with the computer, you may be at higher than usual risk of losing data, whether you follow these instructions or not.
    There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.
    3. Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. All it does is to collect information about the state of the computer. That information goes nowhere unless you choose to share it. However, you should be cautious about running any kind of program (not just a shell script) at the behest of a stranger. If you have doubts, search this site for other discussions in which this procedure has been followed without any report of ill effects. If you can't satisfy yourself that the instructions are safe, don't follow them. Ask for other options.
    Here's a summary of what you need to do, if you choose to proceed:
    ☞ Copy a line of text in this window to the Clipboard.
    ☞ Paste into the window of another application.
    ☞ Wait for the test to run. It usually takes a few minutes.
    ☞ Paste the results, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page.
    The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. You don't need to copy a second time. Details follow.
    4. You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken in “normal” mode, under the conditions in which the problem is reproduced. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.
    5. If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this section doesn’t apply. Don't log in as root.
    6. The script is a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, though you may not see all of it in the browser window, and you can then copy it. If you try to select the line by dragging across the part you can see, you won't get all of it.
    Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:
    PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/libexec;clear;cd;p=(Software Hardware Memory Diagnostics Power FireWire Thunderbolt USB Fonts 51 4 1000 25 5120 KiB/s 1024 85 \\b%% 20480 1 MB/s 25000 ports 'com.autodesk.AutoCad com.evenflow.dropbox com.google.GoogleDrive' DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES\ DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH -86 ` route -n get default|awk '/e:/{print $2}' ` 25 N\\/A down up 102400 25600 recvfrom sendto CFBundleIdentifier 25 25 25 1000 MB );N5=${#p[@]};p[N5]=` networksetup -listnetworkserviceorder|awk ' NR>1 { sub(/^\([0-9]+\) /,"");n=$0;getline;} $NF=="'${p[26]}')" { sub(/.$/,"",$NF);print n;exit;} ' `;f=('\n%s: %s\n' '\n%s\n\n%s\n' '\nRAM details\n%s\n' %s\ %s '%s\n\t(%s)\n' );S0() { echo ' { q=$NF+0;$NF="";u=$(NF-1);$(NF-1)="";gsub(/^ +| +$/,"");if(q>='${p[$1]}') printf("%s (UID %s) is using %s '${p[$2]}'",$0,u,q);} ';};s=(' /^ *$|CSConfigDot/d;s/^ */   /;s/[-0-9A-Fa-f]{22,}/UUID/g;s/(ochat)\.[^.]+(\..+)/\1\2/;/Shared/!s/\/Users\/[^/]+/~/g ' ' s/^ +//;5p;6p;8p;12p;' ' {sub(/^ +/,"")};NR==6;NR==13&&$2<'${p[10]} ' 1s/://;3,6d;/[my].+:/d;s/^ {4}//;H;${ g;s/\n$//;/s: [^EO]|x([^08]|02[^F]|8[^0])/p;} ' ' 5h;6{ H;g;/P/!p;} ' ' ($1~/^Cy/&&$3>'${p[11]}')||($1~/^Cond/&&$2!~/^N/) ' ' /:$/{ N;/:.+:/d;s/ *://;b0'$'\n'' };/^ *(V.+ [0N]|Man).+ /{ s/ 0x.... //;s/[()]//g;s/(.+: )(.+)/ (\2)/;H;};$b0'$'\n'' d;:0'$'\n'' x;s/\n\n//;/Apple[ ,]|Intel|SMSC/d;s/\n.*//;/\)$/p;' ' s/^.*C/C/;H;${ g;/No th|pms/!p;} ' '/= [^GO]/p' '{$1=""};1' ' /Of/!{ s/^.+is |\.//g;p;} ' ' $0&&!/ / { n++;print;} END { if(n<200) print "com.apple.";} ' ' $3~/[0-9]:[0-9]{2}$/ { gsub(/:[0-9:a-f]{14}/,"");} { print|"tail -n'${p[12]}'";} ' ' NR==2&&$4<='${p[13]}' { print $4;} ' ' END { $2/=256;if($2>='${p[15]}') print int($2) } ' ' NR!=13{next};{sub(/[+-]$/,"",$NF)};'"`S0 21 22`" 'NR!=2{next}'"`S0 37 17`" ' NR!=5||$8!~/[RW]/{next};{ $(NF-1)=$1;$NF=int($NF/10000000);for(i=1;i<=3;i++){$i="";$(NF-1-i)="";};};'"`S0 19 20`" 's:^:/:p' '/\.kext\/(Contents\/)?Info\.plist$/p' 's/^.{52}(.+) <.+/\1/p' ' /Launch[AD].+\.plist$/ { n++;print;} END { if(n<200) print "/System/";} ' '/\.xpc\/(Contents\/)?Info\.plist$/p' ' NR>1&&!/0x|\.[0-9]+$|com\.apple\.launchctl\.(Aqua|Background|System)$/ { print $3;} ' ' /\.(framew|lproj)|\):/d;/plist:|:.+(Mach|scrip)/s/:[^:]+//p ' '/root/p' ' !/\/Contents\/.+\/Contents|Applic|Autom|Frameworks/&&/Lib.+\/Info.plist$/ { n++;print;} END { if(n<1000) print "/System/";} ' '/^\/usr\/lib\/.+dylib$/p' ' /Temp|emac/d;/(etc|Preferences)\//s/^\.\/[^/]+//p;' ' /\/(Contents\/.+\/Contents|Frameworks)\/|\.wdgt\/.+\.([bw]|plu)/d;p;' 's/\/(Contents\/)?Info.plist$//;p' ' { gsub("^| ","||kMDItem'${p[35]}'=");sub("^.."," ") };1 ' p '{print $3"\t"$1}' 's/\'$'\t''.+//p' 's/1/On/p' '/Prox.+: [^0]/p' '$2>'${p[9]}'{$2=$2-1;print}' ' BEGIN { i="'${p[26]}'";M1='${p[16]}';M2='${p[18]}';M3='${p[31]}';M4='${p[32]}';} !/^A/ { next;} /%/ { getline;if($5<M1) a="user "$2"%, system "$4"%";} /disk0/&&$4>M2 { b=$3" ops/s, "$4" blocks/s";} $2==i { if(c) { d=$3+$4+$5+$6;next;};if($4>M3||$6>M4) c=int($4/1024)" in, "int($6/1024)" out";} END { if(a) print "CPU: "a;if(b) print "I/O: "b;if(c) print "Net: "c" (KiB/s)";if(d) print "Net errors: "d" packets/s";} ' ' /r\[0\] /&&$NF!~/^1(0|72\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])|92\.168)\./ { print $NF;exit;} ' ' !/^T/ { printf "(static)";exit;} ' '/apsd|OpenD/!s/:.+//p' ' (/k:/&&$3!~/(255\.){3}0/ )||(/v6:/&&$2!~/A/ ) ' ' $1~"lR"&&$2<='${p[25]}';$1~"li"&&$3!~"wpa2";' ' BEGIN { FS=":";} { n=split($3,a,".");sub(/_2[01].+/,"",$3);print $2" "$3" "a[n]" "$1;b=b$1;} END { if(b) print("\n\t* Code injection");} ' ' NR!=4{next} {$NF/=10240} '"`S0 27 14`" ' END { if($3~/[0-9]/)print$3;} ' ' BEGIN { L='${p[36]}';} !/^[[:space:]]*(#.*)?$/ { l++;if(l<=L) f=f"\n   "$0;} END { F=FILENAME;if(!F) exit;if(!f) f="\n   [N/A]";"file -b "F|getline T;if(T!~/^(AS.+ (En.+ )?text$|POSIX sh.+ text ex)/) F=F" ("T")";printf("\nContents of %s\n%s\n",F,f);if(l>L) printf("\n   ...and %s more line(s)\n",l-L);} ' ' /^ +[NP].+ =/h;/^( +D.+[{]|[}])/{ g;s/.+= //p;};' ' /^ +B/{ s/.+= |(-[0-9]+)?\.s.+//g;p;} ' ' END{print NR} ' ' /id: N|te: Y/{i++} END{print i} ' ' / /{$0="'"${p[28]}"'"};1;' '/ en/!s/\.//p' ' NR!=13{next};{sub(/[+-M]$/,"",$NF)};'"`S0 39 40`" ' $10~/\(L/&&$9!~"localhost" { sub(/.+:/,"",$9);print $1": "$9;} ' '/^ +r/s/.+"(.+)".+/\1/p' 's/(.+\.wdgt)\/(Contents\/)?Info\.plist$/\1/p' 's/^.+\/(.+)\.wdgt$/\1/p' 's/0/Off/p' );c1=(system_profiler pmset\ -g nvram fdesetup find syslog df vm_stat sar ps sudo\ crontab sudo\ iotop top pkgutil PlistBuddy whoami cksum kextstat launchctl sudo\ launchctl crontab 'sudo defaults read' stat lsbom mdfind ' for i in ${p[24]};do ${c1[18]} ${c2[27]} $i;done;' defaults\ read scutil sudo\ dtrace sudo\ profiles sed\ -En awk /S*/*/P*/*/*/C*/*/airport networksetup mdutil sudo\ lsof test );c2=(com.apple.loginwindow\ LoginHook '-c Print /L*/P*/loginw*' '-c Print L*/P*/*loginit*' '-c Print L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist' '~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \)' '.??* -path .Trash -prune -o -type d -name *.app -print -prune' '-c Print\ :'${p[35]}' 2>&1' '-c Print\ :Label 2>&1|head -1' '{/,}L*/{Con,Pref}* -type f ! -size 0 -name *.plist -exec plutil -s {} \;' "-f'%N: %l' Desktop L*/Keyc*" therm sysload boot-args status " -F '\$Time \$Message' -k Sender kernel -k Message Req 'Beac|caug|dead[^bl]|FAIL|fail|GPU |hfs: Ru|inval|jnl:|last value [1-9]|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|proc: t|Roamed|rror|ssert|Thrott|tim(ed? ?|ing )o|WARN' -k Message Rne 'Goog|ksadm|SMC:' -o -k Sender fseventsd -k Message Req 'SL' " '-du -n DEV -n EDEV 1 10' 'acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu' '-t1 10 1' '-f -pfc /var/db/r*/com.apple.*.{BS,Bas,Es,OSXU,Rem,up}*.bom' '{/,}L*/Lo*/Diag* -type f -regex .\*[cgh] ! -name *ag \( -exec grep -lq "^Thread c" {} \; -exec printf \* \; -o -true \) -execdir stat -f:%Sc:%N -t%F {} \;|sort -t: -k2 |tail -n'${p[38]} '-L {/{S*/,},}L*/Lau* -type f' '-L /{S*/,}L*/StartupItems -type f -exec file {} +' '-L /S*/L*/{C*/Sec*A,E}* {/,}L*/{A*d,Ca*/*/Ex,Compon,Ex,In,iTu,Keyb,Mail/B,P*P,Qu*T,Scripti,Sec,Servi,Spo,Widg}* -type f -name Info.plist' '/usr/lib -type f -name *.dylib' `awk "${s[31]}"<<<${p[23]}` "/e*/{auto,{cron,fs}tab,hosts,[lps]*.conf,pam.d,ssh{,d}_config,*.local} {,/usr/local}/etc/periodic/*/* /L*/P*{,/*}/com.a*.{Bo,sec*.ap}*t .launchd.conf" list getenv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf\ globalstate --proxy '-n get default' -I --dns -getdnsservers\ "${p[N5]}" -getinfo\ "${p[N5]}" -P -m\ / '' -n1 '-R -l1 -n1 -o prt -stats command,uid,prt' '--regexp --only-files --files com.apple.pkg.*|sort|uniq' -kl -l -s\ / '-R -l1 -n1 -o mem -stats command,uid,mem' -i4TCP:0-1023 com.apple.dashboard\ layer-gadgets '-d /L*/Mana*/$USER&&echo On' '-app Safari WebKitDNSPrefetchingEnabled' );N1=${#c2[@]};for j in {0..8};do c2[N1+j]=SP${p[j]}DataType;done;N2=${#c2[@]};for j in 0 1;do c2[N2+j]="-n ' syscall::'${p[33+j]}':return { @out[execname,uid]=sum(arg0) } tick-10sec { trunc(@out,1);exit(0);} '";done;l=(Restricted\ files Hidden\ apps 'Elapsed time (s)' POST Battery Safari\ extensions Bad\ plists 'High file counts' User Heat System\ load boot\ args FileVault Diagnostic\ reports Log 'Free space (MiB)' 'Swap (MiB)' Activity 'CPU per process' Login\ hook 'I/O per process' Mach\ ports kexts Daemons Agents launchd Startup\ items Admin\ access Root\ access Bundles dylibs Apps Font\ issues Inserted\ dylibs Firewall Proxies DNS TCP/IP Wi-Fi Profiles Root\ crontab User\ crontab 'Global login items' 'User login items' Spotlight Memory Listeners Widgets Parental\ Controls Prefetching );N3=${#l[@]};for i in 0 1 2;do l[N3+i]=${p[5+i]};done;N4=${#l[@]};for j in 0 1;do l[N4+j]="Current ${p[29+j]}stream data";done;A0() { id -G|grep -qw 80;v[1]=$?;((v[1]==0))&&sudo true;v[2]=$?;v[3]=`date +%s`;clear >&-;date '+Start time: %T %D%n';};for i in 0 1;do eval ' A'$((1+i))'() { v=` eval "${c1[$1]} ${c2[$2]}"|'${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$3]}" `;[[ "$v" ]];};A'$((3+i))'() { v=` while read i;do [[ "$i" ]]&&eval "${c1[$1]} ${c2[$2]}" \"$i\"|'${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$3]}";done<<<"${v[$4]}" `;[[ "$v" ]];};A'$((5+i))'() { v=` while read i;do '${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$1]}" "$i";done<<<"${v[$2]}" `;[[ "$v" ]];};';done;A7(){ v=$((`date +%s`-v[3]));};B2(){ v[$1]="$v";};for i in 0 1;do eval ' B'$i'() { v=;((v['$((i+1))']==0))||{ v=No;false;};};B'$((3+i))'() { v[$2]=`'${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$3]}"<<<"${v[$1]}"`;} ';done;B5(){ v[$1]="${v[$1]}"$'\n'"${v[$2]}";};B6() { v=` paste -d: <(printf "${v[$1]}") <(printf "${v[$2]}")|awk -F: ' {printf("'"${f[$3]}"'",$1,$2)} ' `;};B7(){ v=`grep -Fv "${v[$1]}"<<<"$v"`;};C0(){ [[ "$v" ]]&&echo "$v";};C1() { [[ "$v" ]]&&printf "${f[$1]}" "${l[$2]}" "$v";};C2() { v=`echo $v`;[[ "$v" != 0 ]]&&C1 0 $1;};C3() { v=`sed -E "$s"<<<"$v"`&&C1 1 $1;};for i in 1 2;do for j in 2 3;do eval D$i$j'(){ A'$i' $1 $2 $3; C'$j' $4;};';done;done;{ A0;A2 0 $((N1+1)) 2;C0;A1 0 $N1 1;C0;B0;C2 27;B0&&! B1&&C2 28;D12 15 37 25 8;A1 0 $((N1+2)) 3;C0;D13 0 $((N1+3)) 4 3;D23 0 $((N1+4)) 5 4;for i in 0 1 2;do D13 0 $((N1+5+i)) 6 $((N3+i));done;D13 1 10 7 9;D13 1 11 8 10;D22 2 12 9 11;D12 3 13 10 12;D23 4 19 44 13;D23 5 14 12 14;D22 6 36 13 15;D22 7 37 14 16;D23 8 15 38 17;D22 9 16 16 18;B1&&{ D22 11 17 17 20;for i in 0 1;do D22 28 $((N2+i)) 45 $((N4+i));done;};D22 12 44 54 45;D22 12 39 15 21;A1 13 40 18;B2 4;B3 4 0 19;A3 14 6 32 0;B4 0 5 11;A1 17 41 20;B7 5;C3 22;B4 4 6 21;A3 14 7 32 6;B4 0 7 11;B3 4 0 22;A3 14 6 32 0;B4 0 8 11;B5 7 8;B1&&{ A2 19 26 23;B7 7;C3 23;};A2 18 26 23;B7 7;C3 24;A2 4 20 21;B7 6;B2 9;A4 14 7 52 9;B2 10;B6 9 10 4;C3 25;D13 4 21 24 26;B4 4 12 26;B3 4 13 27;A1 4 22 29;B7 12;B2 14;A4 14 6 52 14;B2 15;B6 14 15 4;B3 0 0 30;C3 29;A1 4 23 27;B7 13;C3 30;D13 24 24 32 31;D13 25 37 32 33;A1 23 18 28;B2 16;A2 16 25 33;B7 16;B3 0 0 34;B2 21;A6 47 21&&C0;B1&&{ D13 21 0 32 19;D13 10 42 32 40;D22 29 35 46 39;};D23 14 1 48 42;D12 34 43 53 44;D22 0 $((N1+8)) 51 32;D13 4 8 41 6;D12 26 28 35 34;D13 27 29 36 35;A2 27 32 39&&{ B2 19;A2 33 33 40;B2 20;B6 19 20 3;};C2 36;D23 33 34 42 37;B1&&D23 35 45 55 46;D23 32 31 43 38;D12 36 47 32 48;D13 20 42 32 41;D13 14 2 48 43;D13 4 5 32 1;D22 4 4 50 0;D13 14 3 49 5;D12 26 48 59 49;B3 4 22 57;A1 26 46 56;B7 22;B3 0 0 58;C3 47;D23 22 9 37 7;A7;C2 2;} 2>/dev/null|pbcopy;exit 2>&-  
    Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.
    7. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:
    ☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)
    ☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.
    ☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.
    Click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste by pressing command-V. The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.
    8. If you see an error message in the Terminal window such as "syntax error," enter
    exec bash
    and press return. Then paste the script again.
    9. If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important. If you don't know the password, or if you prefer not to enter it, press the key combination control-C or just press return three times at the password prompt. Again, the script will still run.
    If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for a password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator privileges.
    10. The test may take a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. While it's running, there will be nothing in the Terminal window and no indication of progress. Wait for the line
    [Process completed]
    to appear. If you don't see it within half an hour or so, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, close the Terminal window and report the results. No harm will be done.
    11. When the test is complete, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.
    At the top of the results, there will be a line that begins with "Model Identifier." If you don't see that, but instead see a mass of gibberish, you didn't wait for the "Process completed" message to appear in the Terminal window. Please wait for it and try again.
    If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.
    12. When you post the results, you might see the message, "You have included content in your post that is not permitted." It means that the forum software has misidentified something in the post as a violation of the rules. If that happens, please post the test results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.
    Note: This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak only for themselves, and I don't necessarily agree with them.
    Copyright © 2014 by Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work, I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Use Agreement for the Apple Support Communities website ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.

• Horrible Experience with new 17" MBP

I have had 3 Apple laptops in the past 3 years. My most recent purchase has been the most expensive, and most disappointing. Its a mid 09 17".
    All day, everyday, this computer beach balls. From the simplest task of quick viewing a folder, creating a bookmark in safari, to playing a song in iTunes. It becomes increasingly disturbing when using a program such as Final Cut Pro or Motion. Ruins the experience.
    So I lose intrest in trying to do things such as making videos, so I'll just watch them on the internet. Usually just browsing the net will only score me a beach ball about once an hour.
    NOPE. My airport starts dropping the connection. It just shows searching in the airport menu. I have to click on my network and type in the password. My laptop drops it's connection around 5-6 times throughout a day.
    I paid $2500 for a better user experience. I almost achieved more when I had my old Blackbook because it wouldn't freeze up for 30-50 seconds 20 times a day.
    I have restored, reinstalled, cleaned cache, used snow leopard specific programs, reset this and that. Where do I go from here? I don't want to drive an hour and half to my closest Apple store just for them to tell me its a software issue, when this would happen on Leopard also. I dont want to drive an hour and half to a store for them to take it from me for 6-14 days. I need my computer everyday.
    What do I do?

Hi All,
    I am also having this problem on a brand new MacBook Pro (Which was given to me as an exchange after an absolutely disastrous relationship with my previous MBP!)
    From day one I have been having abnormal amounts of beach ball action, sometimes so bad that it actually makes doing anything on here impossible. I took it into my local Apple store and was told that everything seemed to be fine.
    A few frustrating days later I called the Apple helpline and was taken through various procedures and told to phone back if this didn't fix the problem. It didn't fix the problem!!
    I then reinstalled my OSX software and for the last few months this solved the problem. One of the reasons I was in the forums was that I now cannot open anything by double clicking... Do anyone have any ideas how to fix this?!
    So I reinstalled again yesterday, hoping this would fix the file problem but aside from not fixing that, the spinning beach ball of doom is now back in full force!
    Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP but for something so expensive, I would really like it to be in working order and not have to send it away for weeks one end!
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated and to everyone with the same problems, my deepest sympathy lol!

• Hard drive not recognized after a brand new replacement put in 2 weeks ago!

Basically, my MBP was having the symptoms of needed a new hard drive. It was taking abnormal amounts to think and load thinks when it started up (only part of the time). I cleared all the software off of it and reloaded Mac OS just to be sure it wasnt a software issue. Apple took my computer and replaced the hard drive about 2 weeks ago (90gb, 7200 rpm). By the way the MBP is a C2D with 2 gb ram.
    Immediately after getting my computer back it seemed to work fine. It has been about a week and a half since I got it back and last night trouble started. First, it wouldnt boot up all the time (id get the flashing question mark on the folder). I checked startup disk and booted it that way, no results. When it did start up, it would lock up shortly after when using applications such as safari. I then booted it to the system disk and performed the first aid functions on the disk... no results. And now, the next morning, when i boot to the disk, the hard drive itself is not even recognized under disk utility??? So basically, I cant reload OS again because I cant see the installation disk. Is this a a hardware issue even though I just replaced the hard drive?
    what do i do??

Hi MBPrunner;
    It appears you have the misfortune of infant mortality whereby a bring new part fails in a short period of time. This does happen. I have seen it numerous time in my years of server support at IBM. My suggestion is take it back it back to Apple with all of your paperwork. They should make good on it.
    Allan

• Screen flashing between grey and background, dock not showing

I don't know how this happened, but I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion: as soon as I'd logged in, the Dock dissapeared, and the background started flashing between grey and my background. The only way for me to open anything is through Spotlight.
    Whenever I try to make an app fullscreen, it glitches halfway through: half the screen is grey, and half the screen flashing. Opening Notification Centre flashes between grey and open and background and closed. Mission Control won't open, and CMD-tab fails to do anything.
    Upon inspection in Activity Monitor, there is an abnormal amount of processes named "com.apple.dock.extra": closing them does nothing. One process exists and then doesn't in time to the background flash, and the amount of "dock.extra"s grows and shrinks from 3 to 10.
    Can anyone help me with this strange problem?

Open Spotlight and type Terminal. Select the Terminal application.
    Type 'sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Dock'. Ensure it looks exactly like that (minus the quotes) and hit enter. Type your password if you have one. Then, type the command 'killall Dock' and hit enter. The dock will terminate and restart, and it will hopefully be returned to its previous state.

• Macbook Pro won't start up after removing and putting back battery

One week ago I spilled two drops (literally) of water on the drag pad of my MacBook Pro (model A1278). Some of this water went down the top edge of the drag pad. Since this happened, the cursor as either not been been responding at all to my drag pad, or it has been behaving very eratically, as well as this, over the last couple of months since buying this MacBook, there has been an abnormal amount of dust in the air in the house due to some building work going on here. This being so, I decided to follow a video tutorial in you tube on how to remove and clean the drag pad. This involved getting access to the laptop by unscrewing the back, unscrewing and disconnecting the battery, then unscrewing and disconnecting the drag pad, so this it could be handled and cleaned. I followed the video to the letter, taking great care. I cleaned the drag pad as instructed, and replaced it. I did the same thing with the battery. All screws and the two simple 'plug in' connections for both the drag pad and battery have been replaced smoothly and exactly as I found them. but after putting the back panel on the MacBook, it will not turn on. It will not power up, either by the battery alone, or by using the mains power lead. There is a green light showing on the power lead input, but it is nowhere near as bright as it usually is. So I have gone from having a poorly functioning drag pad, to now having a MacBook Pro which won't even turn on! I have no idea what has happened. Please can anyone help? Thanks.

So are you saying that it will not boot from the OSX installation disk?
    It might be worth trying an SMC reset as described here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?locale=en_GB

Maybe you are looking for

• Installed ghc uses too much memory?

Hello!  My first time in the forums!  I was installing haskell-platform via yaourt and I was surprised to see just how much memory ghc uses once installed in comparison to the download size... should I be concerned? Thanks! Here is some of the output

• Nokia 2220 radio not working

Just got my new Nokia 2220 last night. I had the radio working absolutely fine, but this morning when I turn the radio on I can hear nothing! The headset is plugged in but no sound on either loudspeaker or through headset - what have I done wrong?

• Plugin deployment

Hello I'm developing plugins for CS3, 4, 5 and 6 for MacOSX and Windows. I want to simplify the deployment process for our customers. Today they have to set an additional folder in the preferences of Illustrator. How can we know the version of Illust

• How to deal with a large project (perhaps using the Daisy Trail Approach)?

Hi, My intital problem was that I needed the screen to pause so that the user could interact with the spry menus and image maps. In other threads, I noticed that you added click boxes to prevent the screen from moving on. However, whenever I clicked

• LIS - Logistics Information systems change in info structure settings.

Hi, I want to change the Info structure parameter of table S060 in LIS. By changing the Period split as Posting period form Months (Calander year) This would change all the records updateding in the table w.r.t fiscal year. But I want to know the set