Alsa - No sound on Dell Precision t1600

Hi , I have no sound output on my workstation.
In Alsamixer it just shows one option
and that would be to mute or unmute <S/PDIF>
$ lspci | grep -i 'audio'
Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
$  lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel          33946  0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     27857  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek    62247  0
snd_hda_codec         101474  3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               6364  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                76956  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc          7298  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              18687  1 snd_pcm
snd                    58893  7 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
soundcore               5418  1 snd
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xd0b40000 irq 43
$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec\#0 | grep -i 'codec'
Codec: ATI R6xx HDMI
When i boot from a grml Live USB Stick
Alsamixer and sound seem to work out of the box
The Difference is that the card is recognized as HD-Audio-Generic in the Arch Install with Codec ARI R6xx HDMI
and when i boot from USB stick it is recognized as HDA Intel PCH with Codec Realtek ALC269VB and works
I googled arround and tried loading snd_hda_intel with different model options in /etc/modprobe.d/...
but nothing seems to work.
It would be nice if any of you have hint , how i can get the sound to work on my arch installation
Thanks in advance
Last edited by piefge (2013-04-15 12:59:57)

The problem is , i have no channels , there's only <S/PDIF> like i said
and unmuting it does nothing

Similar Messages

• Help me decide: HP 8570w vs MSI Quadro Workstation vs Dell Precision m4700

Hi,
    I'm looking to get a notebook for doing video and photo editing using Premiere, PS, Lightroom, Illustrator, and some AE. All CS6. I'm hoping you hardware experts can help me out. The MSI seems the most affordable...
    Can you help me decide between these notebooks?
    Quadro:
    http://us.msi.com/news-media/news/100083.html
    GT60 0NG-294US
    Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor
    Windows 7 Professional
    15.6" Full HD Anti-Reflective Display 95% NTSC (16:9; 1920 x 1080)
    NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000M (DDR3 2GB VRAM)
    Full-Color Programmable Backlit Keyboard by SteelSeries
    Killer™ E2200 Game Networking
    MSI Cooler Boost Technology
    2 x Premium Speakers w/ Subwoofer
    750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    12GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory
    Blu-ray Disc Burner
    USB 3.0 x 3; USB 2.0 x 1; HDMI; Mini-Display
    Built-in 720p HD webcam
    Audio Boost Technology
    Jackson Peak 802.11 b/g/n WLAN
    HP 8570w:
    http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5329162
    Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (2.40 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 4 cores)
    Memory, standard: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Internal drive 750 GB 7200 rpm SATA
    Display: 15.6" diagonal LED-backlit FHD UWVA anti-glare DreamColor (1920 x 1080)
    Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K2000M (2 GB dedicated DDR3)
    Network interface 10/100/1000
    Wireless:
    Intel Centrino 802.11a/b/g/n
    HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 4.0+ EDR
    Battery type:
    8-cell (83 WHr) Li-Ion battery
    Weight Starting at 3 kg
    (Starting weight is with SSD and weight saver (no optical drive) )
    Dell Precision:
    http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/precision-m4700/pd.aspx?c=ca&cs=cabsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=m n
    Intel Core™ i5-3340M (Dual Core 2.70GHz, 3.4GHz Turbo, 3M cache, 35W)
    Windows 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English
    15.6" HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare
    2GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    320GB 2.5" 7200rpm Hard Drive
    8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load
    AMD® FirePro® M4000 Mobility Pro Graphics with 1GB GDDR5
    3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year NBD Limited Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis
    6.33 lbs

Understated,
    Sounds like you are in Canada.
    Skip MSI; they have not been getting much of a reputation for solid, reliable, laptops for video editing.
    Asus is selling rock-bottom priced laptops if you really need to cut cost to the bone.
    My first choice recommendation would be to go with an ADK laptop. They are a audio/video editing centric company that has excellent laptops (Sager / Cleo platform) and excellent support for pretty decent prices on high-spec configurations. Unlike the HP/Dell laptops, their 15.6" 1980x1080 has expansion for multiple drives while retaining your optical bay.
    HP and Dell are OK too, but more expensive for fully loaded configurations. Both companies provide a really nice base model, but then charge a lot for adding memory, drives, etc.
    Dell provides really decent CPU choices, but you need to go to the "large business" section of their web site to see those CPU choices for the M4700.
    If you go HP or Dell, get a newmodeus.com optical bay drive caddy to put a 2nd internal drive in your system. Buy the HP or Dell, then move the HD to the optical bay and buy a large SSD for OS, programs, and scratch/cache.
    Regards,
    Jim

• Dell Precision M6500 Overheating issue\CPU Issue

I will tell you that M6500s run hot naturally, I have quite a few of these and the fans kick on all the time. Some of our users put them on cooling pads to avoid this issue. Generally if you have one of these machines, you are doing video rendering, CAD, other CPU-intensive applications. So what are you running? May very well be whatever application you are running has a process running in the background. Have you checked your msconfig and scheduled tasks? If it is running OK in safe mode sounds like you have something at startup that just wont stop using resorces (service or process). Check what is chewing through CPU in System Monitor, specifically which process. Also, might want to consider using updating graphics driver through the vendor (NVIDIA likely) and not just Dell. If everything looks good, Antonio is right, you just have...

So we have many of these Dell Precision M6500 Laptops. Most of them give no issue. But we have one that likes to overheat and slow its self way down.When I first got my hands on it, I wiped the computer and reinstalled Windows 7. But it was still bogged down so I decided to see what processes were running. Nothing out of the ordinary but somehow 78% of the CPU was still being used, which was causing the fans to blare and the entire laptop to get warm\hot. So I then booted it into safe mode. Ran just find then. Minimal delay on actions. So it was running exactly like it was supposed to. Then I booted back up into the OS and it was already lagging again. Ran Trend Micro titanium and it managed to speed up boot time by 5 seconds. Ran CCleaner but it didn't find much. Malwarebytes came up empty.So then I thought that maybe upgrading it to...
    This topic first appeared in the Spiceworks Community

• Serious resolution issues with After Effects CC (2014) on Windows 8.1 Pro on Dell Precision M3800 laptop??

My new company installed Adobe Creative Cloud (There was some annoying Proxy issues at first, because of the seriously tight I.T policies) but we are having some serious resolution issues with After Effects CC 2014 (also have this resolution problem with Adobe Premiere, Media Encoder, Muse) on Windows 8.1 Pro on a Dell Precision M3800 laptop with icons and interface looking too small and hard to see, is there a fix, an update or a work around, can anyone help?
    Any help will be appreciated!
    k.regards
    Ramon

Hi Todd is there a time-frame for this fix, there is a lot of pressure on me, because I convinced my company to get the Creative Cloud and quite a lot of the CC software is not compatible with the latest Windows 8.1 OS.
    Is there at least a work around, until this big fix comes along?
    k.regards
    Ramon

• PS CS6 has a different set of installed fonts than my old PS CS4.  How do I get my old fonts back?  Don't like most of the CS6 fonts.  Dell Precision, Windows 7.  Does PS use the fonts in the Windows directory or does it use its own?  A lot of my preferre

PS CS6 has a different set of installed fonts than my old PS CS4.  How do I get my old fonts back?  Don't like most of the newer CS6 fonts.  Dell Precision, Windows 7.  Does PS use the fonts in the Windows directory or does it use its own?  If so, where are they in the directory?  A lot of my preferred fonts show in the Windows directory but not in Photoshop, which does not display them within the program.  Please help.  If I get free fonts (NOT CC fonts) from elsewhere, where do I put them for Photoshop[ CS6 to use them?  Thanks.

All versions of Photoshop get their fonts from your OS.  Just install any missing font wherever Windows keeps fonts.
    I don't do windows myself.

• Dell Precision M4400 Windows 8.1 upgrade

I've been trying to upgrade my Dell Precision M4400 laptop to Windows 8.1 for hours now, with no success.
    The installation completes, but right after loading the license agreement, the computer crashes with the infamous VIDEO_TDR error.
    I had this problem years ago when I upgraded to Windows 7, and again with Windows 8.0. But I've always been able to at least boot to the desktop so I can turn off NVidia's lousy Powermizer "feature". With Windows 8.1, there's just no way for me to get that far. The laptop crashes, reboots, reverts back to Windows 8.0; leaving me annoyed, hopeless, and stuck trying again.
    The VIDEO_TDR error has been a problem for several M4400 users for a while now; Dell needs to stop giving us to proverbial middle finger, and do something about it. After all, this was an expensive unit, and still has plenty of life left in it.
    While I wait for them to get their act together. does anybody know how I can get Windows 8.1 into safe mode during the install process? (I tried holding shift and striking the F8 key during boot, but it just ignores me and continues the setup process)

I ran into the same issue today when upgrading from Windows 8.0 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro.
    Here is how I managed to get through the upgrade successfully, maybe the description helps others:
    On the old OS (Windows 8) open Windows Explorer and go to options
    Enable all options to see hidden and system files
    Keep Windows Explorer open
    Open an elevated command prompt and run the following command:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    This enables the legacy F8 boot option in case the VGA boot has to be enforced later on in the process
    Start the OS upgrade process from the Microsoft Store
    When being prompted to restart the computer DO NOT restart
    Change to the Windows Explorer Window and find a folder called "$Windows.~BT" which contains the Windows 8.1 setup files
    Within that folder navigate to the "DUDownload" folder and find the "DUDriverUpdates": C:\$Windows.~BT\DUDownload\DUDriverUpdates
    Within that folder delete the compressed file and the GUID name folder
    The contains the latest nVidia driver that causes the blue screen
    Complete the restart as requested by the Windows upgrade routine
    Windows 8.1 will install with standard VGA support only
    Once completed log on and download the "Powermizer" tool from here:
    http://www.box.net/shared/v7jpoateoq
    Download the latest Windows 8.1 drivers from the nVidia web site for the 9600M GT card
    Install the drivers (I only installed the core drivers and no add on software from offered by the setup)
    Run the "Powermizer" tool from an elevated command prompt and disable the power saving optionRestart the machine immediately when suggested by the "Powermizer"
    If the machine crashes just restart, log on and run the too again from an elevated command prompt again
    If it continues to crash force a "low resolution" boot by hitting F8 at the beginning of the boot phase and run the tool after having booted with the VGA driver
    I tested full HD (1080p) video playback in battery and AC mode as well as resuming from sleep without any issues.
    Thanks to the ones that posted here I was able to get this issue solved:
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19448813.aspx

• Desktop 4.7 Delays Dell Precision internal NIC network loading for 4-6 Minutes on EVERY BOOT!

I just discovered the cause of a major problem I have been having for the past 6 weeks. When I would boot up my Dell precision 390 computer running Vista-32bit I would not get an error but a MAJOR delay before the integrated NIC would actually start working. In other words I would turn on the computer, enter my login password and the computer would boot and then I would immediatly notice that my nic notification in the tray was red X'd out. Then 4-6 minutes later the boot process would finish and the NIC indicator would turn green and the remainder of my startup applications would load.
    I tore everything apart trying to find the cause. Finally (After calling Dell,, googling forever) it drove me so bonkers I  took Dell's advice and reloaded my computer from scratch. I thought I must have corrupted something along the way and it's been 8 months since I relaoded what the hay, I'll fix this #&%#%* thing for good... or so I thought. I spent the last 3 days loading all my apps back on, testing the boot times with no problems until tonight! I had rebooted and loaded up Photoshop and updated it then downloaded the Blackberry desktop with media manager in English only and after it slowly installed itself it wanted a reboot. I rebooted and BOOM I was back with the same problem.
    I backed up my phone and reloaded my apointments for the next week and decided to give it a reboot one more time. Same deal, computer took 5 minutes after login to finally get the NIC turned on. I uninstalled Blackberry desktop and I'm back in action with normal boots.
    The amount of time and energy it took to get this problem ironed out was out of hand. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and is thier a work around for this problem? Anyone?

I originally reported this feature about a month ago. I decided I did not like my 8220 Flip and got a BOLD this week. Well I had to go through the Desktop manager installation once again, this time I picked v4.7 English W/O Roxio Media Manager. After 4 reboots of the machine the network loads right up! So, I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a feature of the 8220 Flip and ROXIO or just ROXIO.
    I'll miss certain things about the flip but I am glad to be able to have Desktop Manager on my computer. Before I used to have to load Desktop Manager, Sync, then un-install Desktop Manager or I would have to sit through a good 6 minute wait until my networking in Vista started to work.
    This time as well as last I selected to NOT have Desktop Manager start at boot. 
    It's a shame I spent so much time loading and unloading Desktop Manager!
    If anyone is looking for a unlocked 8220 Flip with OEM belt holster, 2 OEM power supplies (micro USB), 2 OEM car chargers micro USB, 2 brand new sets of OEM headphones, original box and all original items in near mint condition drop me an email.

• Dell Precision 690 - Problem with Power On Button

Hi
    Over the last week or so the power on button on my Dell Precision 690 is starting to get more difficult to press.  Today I cannot power on PC as it has become completely jammed.  It looks like I am going to have to remove it.  Does anybody know exactly how to do this as its not in any of the users documentation.
    Would really appreciate any help as I need to get PC back up and running.
    Thanks

Whew!  That was some kinda mess.  
    Basically what had happened was that the button is all plastic, and the plastic acts as a hinge and spring to push the button "rod" to make contact with the actual teeny tiny little micro switch.  I started taking parts out, in the same process you'd use to replace the system board (that's on an "assembly").  At some point it looked like I could wiggle one of the plastic face plates that frames the CD/DVD drives out, and then I saw there was a second plastic plate around the power button and system lights.  I bent that da*&^%ed stupid metal face plate after finding there were still 2 more screws that I couldn't reach, just enough to slip out the second facing, and then put the whole thing back together again, without the button installed.  With no faceplate over the power switch, you can take a pencil, and use the eraser side to click the power switch on.
    The machine is really pretty long in the tooth now, so we'll be working on a replacement soon!
    Still, if I had been able to easily remove the other large black panel, things might have gone a lot smoother...  Lousy design for that particular part of the unit...

• Windows UI Lagging Dell Precision 7810 (NVIDA)

Workstation is a Dell Precision 7810. Dual monitor setup with two NVIDIA Quadro K620. Its a fairly well spec'd machine, running windows 7. Monitor 1 is 1920x1080@60hz 32bpp. Monitor 2 1680x1050, 59.88hz, 32bpp, both DVIThe UI is lagging noticeably. Exact issues are:When minimizing and restoring windows there is noticeable "jitter" and lagFlash video jitters, gets worse when flash is full screen.Actions like creating a new browser tab a noticeable pauseThings I've tried:Updated NVIDIA drivers (from NVIDIA).Dell Command Update, latest drivers on machine.Disabled hardware acceleration in flashUsed dell performance tuner, set profile to dell factory profile.Changed settings in NVIDIA Control: GPU dedicated to graphics tasks, Scaling OFF,
    This topic first appeared in the Spiceworks Community

New Delhi/Bangalore:With 975 million mobile phone connections in India and penetration at 140 percent in urban areas, many e-commerce firms see apps as the way forward to push sales, with some even planning to make it their exclusive delivery platform. Is it feasible?
    Industry stakeholders feel mobile apps are the way forward. But they cannot be the sole medium.
    Recently, homegrown e-commerce major Flipkart, at an internal meeting, disclosed that the company planned to go the only-mobile-app-way by September. Earlier Myntra, which was acquired by Flipkart, also went app only.
    "India is gradually transitioning from a mobile-first to a mobile-only country," a Flipkart spokesperson told IANS, alluding to the fact that net addition in fixed-line telephony in India had been in the negative for a few years now...Read More
    Read More

• Couldn't upgrade Solaris 10 x86 from Sun Fire x2200 to Dell Precision Wrkst

Dear Solaris Experts,
    I need to clone a Solaris 10 x86 system using a ufsdump backup from the following source & target servers:
    Sun Fire x2200 M2 with Quad Core Processor
    # /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/prtdiag
    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems Sun Fire X2200 M2 with Quad Core Processr
    BIOS Configuration: Sun Microsystems S39_3D12 10/06/2008
    # uname -a
    SunOS old 5.10 Generic_139556-08 i86pc i386 i86pc
    to
    Dell Precision WorkStation 390
    # /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/prtdiag
    System Configuration: Dell Inc. Precision Workstation 390
    BIOS Configuration: Dell Inc. 2.3.0 05/01/2007
    # uname -a
    SunOS 5.10 Generic_139556-08 i86pc i386 i86pc
    Unfortunately, Solaris kept rebooting (failed to boot) from the restored primary disk (both / & /export/home) even though Grub menu appeared. As a result, I have embarked on the path of upgrading path using the same Solaris 10 Installation Disk (5/09) DVD but failed due to not able to mount / (c0t0d0s0), swap and /export/home (c0t0d0s7).
    The source Sun Fire x2200 had two mirrored disks but I am restoring the backups to a single harddisk. Any idea on what step has been missed or that it is not possible to go down this path altogether.
    I have tried a number of different reinstallations & restores but have not had much luck still.
    Many thanks,
    Jack

I should have searched the forums first. This was the solution to my issue....
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10249826

• I just bought a Dell Precision M3800 laptop - screen res 3840 x 2160  when I open photoshop the task bar and tools and layers etc are in 4pts size   I changed my % in my image in my control panel and if I go to open file the drop down boxes are in good pt

I just bought a Dell Precision M3800 laptop - screen res 3840 x 2160  when I open photoshop the task bar and tools and layers etc are in 4pts size   I changed my % in my image in my control panel and if I go to open file the drop down boxes are in good pt sizes  how do I make the layers and tool bars bigger?  Please help@

Windows will scale applications display or windows will not scale application display depending on how the application is coded.  Photoshop is coded in a way that its display is not scaled by windows.  Photoshop knows about your displays high pixel count not its resolution  so it uses its pixels  however it does not scale its UI to make it usable on your display.  Other application let Windows  scale their display output.   For example Microsoft default for is Surface Pro 3, 216 ppi display is to scale applications display up 150% so the surface pro 3 display which has 2160x1440 pixels a 216 ppi resolution look like at display with the user is using with 1440x960 pixels.  The Application works like the display is 1440x960 and Windows scale those pixels to the displays using the displays  2160x1440 pixels the effectively changing it resolution to 144ppi rather than the actual 216ppi.
    The reg update  and external manifest file  effectively tells photoshop its working on such a size display display some number of pixel wide and some number photoshop uses that as the display size  in turn Windows scale those pixels to use the displays 2160x1440 pixels efector lowing its 216ppi resolution.  Photoshop CC 2014 2X UI would be like using windows 200% option applications would be shown the are working on a display 1080x720 instead of the Surface Pro 3 2160x1440. Note that 1080x720 does not meet PS requirement of 1024x768.  Photoshop UI would not fit on the Surface Pro 3 display..
    Since you have a 4k display if you have CC 2014 you can use its 2x UI effectively Photoshop will be running on a 1920x1080 display and have half the resolution of you 4K display  3840x2160 pixels four native pixels are use as a single pixel.   1920x1080 pixels exceed PS requirement.

• Dell Precision T5610 ESXi install error (No network adapters)

Hi everyone, i am trying to install vmware esxi 5.5 to my dell precision T5610 workstation. However i'm getting "No network adapters were detected" error.  I tried to install Dell Customized Image of VMware ESXi 5.5 but i get the same error again.
    I tried customizing the esxi iso file with esxi customizer. but it is asking for .vib or tgz file of my network adapter. Where can i download vib file of my network adapter which is  Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. What should i do in this step? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Hi wdey
    Yes you assume correct. This is a standalone server.
    Hardware wise this is a C220 M3S with two E5-2620-V2. 4 x 8 GB RAM. 4 x 300 GB Disk set up to Raid-5 on the 2008M-8i Mezzanine Card. And finally this server was shipped with the Flexible Flash "module" (I cant even remember we ordered that, but it was in there ... so :-) )
    No extra NICs where added, i just have the two onboard Gigabit ports (Intel I350 Ethernet controller as far as i know ?).
    I have installed the ESXi on the Flash module.
    In my opinion this ought to be pretty straight forward, and I just cant see what Im doing wrong.
    The only thing i have been "playing" around with was the CIMC configuration.
    The default configuration was set to Shared LOM EXT. I changed that to "dedicated" to use the specific mgmt port for CIMC. (I have also tried to change it back just in case.)
    Furthermore I have updated "everything" : BIOS, CIMC,  2008M-8i Mezzanine Card bios and so on. Nothing has helped.

• Struggling with a Dell Precision T3600, Boot Image does not see Hard drive.

Hi
    I recently got a lab of 25 of these stations in and shortly I will be imaging them. I am using the Boot Image (x86) the ones that come with sccm 2012  and I downloaded the sccm driver cab from dell and imported the storage and raid drivers into the
    boot image, yet every time I boot winpe to try to image the machine no hard drive is found.
    I followed this thread at Dell
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19460505.aspx
    and seeming all these drivers are in the boot image (x86)
    Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1D02
    Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller
    PERC H310 for Dell Precision
    and still now hard drive seen when I boot winpe via sccm pxe.
    Does anyone have any of these machines, or any advice for me I REALLY need to solve this, I been struggling for a day so far and getting nowhere fast.
    Thanks

Are you using the correct driver for the version of WINPE you are using?
    Built from Windows
    7 SP1 code base. 
    Built from Windows
    8 code base. 
    Built from Windows
    8.1 code base. 
    So if you had a boot image based on WINPE 4.0, you would need to use a Windows 8 driver, etc.

• Dell Precision M3800 Performance Question

Hi Everyone,
    First time posting here so excuse me for the simplicity of the question ad information that I am providing.
    I have recently bought the DELL Precision M3800 Workstation
    The specs are:
    CPU: i7 4702HQ (2.2Ghz - 3.2Ghz)
    16GB RAM
    512gb mSata SSD
    Win 8.1 PRO
    The issue that I am having is speed. This is my first laptop with a solid state drive, and I was (possibly falsely?) expecting super fast speeds. To start with, the booting is very fast, (approx 7 seconds).
    The problem is, installing, installing and launching applications. 
    I am currently installing Autodesk Maya 2015 and it is very slow. I have the file downloaded, so it is not the download speed, but its been going on for a good 15 minutes. This happens with all installations, Skype, AutoCAD, Photoshop etc.
    If I open the task manager, It shows that the CPU is at 15% and the Disk is at 5%
    None of my resources are utilised, while the programs are struggling to move progress in the installation. 
    It is similar with loading them. The time it takes to load up a program (installed on SSD) is the same as on my old laptop whin an i5 processor and normal HDD.
    I guess my question is, is there any way to give programs more resources so they would react quicker, as the system is clearly capable of speeding things up, just the programs aren't using these resources.
    Any and all ideas are welcome. If more information is required please ask.
    Thanks

Thank you for your response!
    I am aware that larger SSD's are slightly slower, but I have found the problem is not in the SDD itself.
    I just ran CrystalDiskMark and here are the results:
               Sequential Read :   380.107 MB/s
              Sequential Write :   148.969 MB/s
             Random Read 512KB :   457.497 MB/s
            Random Write 512KB :   317.328 MB/s
        Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :    31.679 MB/s [  7734.2 IOPS]
       Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :    74.453 MB/s [ 18177.0 IOPS]
       Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :   383.831 MB/s [ 93708.9 IOPS]
      Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :    95.720 MB/s [ 23369.2 IOPS]
      Test : 100 MB [C: 28.8% (134.7/467.0 GB)] (x1)
      Date : 2014/09/13 20:30:32
    This confirms (in a way) that the SSD is capable of very high speeds compared to a standard HD. What comes to mind then, why would a 5gb installation take a good part of half an hour. As I've mentioned, in the task manager, the CPU, RAM and DISK never go
    over 25% in usage during the installation. 
    Any Ideas?

• Alsa: reroute sound output to line in?

Hello,
    i've been on this for a week now, not getting anywhere.
    but now i'm determined to crack the nut that is alsa.
    a familiar problem: i want to use alsa's sound output - pcm or master - internally.
    i have set up a loopback device now; it works with e.g. recordmydesktop, but the application i'm interested in seems to only chose the first capture channel of the default soundcard :-(
    (it's sndpeek).
    so, is it possible to duplicate & reroute the default card's pcm or master channel back into the default card's Line channel (Line in)?
    of course i'm open to other suggestions.
    thanks.
    current .asoundrc (creates a 2nd sound card that i cannot access with sndpeek, but works otherwise)
    pcm.!default { type asym
    playback.pcm "LoopAndReal"
    #capture.pcm "looprec"
    capture.pcm "hw:0,0"
    pcm.looprec { type hw
    card "Loopback"
    device 1
    subdevice 0
    pcm.LoopAndReal { type plug
    slave.pcm mdev
    route_policy "duplicate"
    pcm.mdev { type multi
    slaves.a.pcm pcm.MixReale
    slaves.a.channels 2
    slaves.b.pcm pcm.MixLoopback
    slaves.b.channels 2
    bindings.0.slave a
    bindings.0.channel 0
    bindings.1.slave a
    bindings.1.channel 1
    bindings.2.slave b
    bindings.2.channel 0
    bindings.3.slave b
    bindings.3.channel 1
    pcm.MixReale { type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave { pcm "hw:0,0"
    rate 48000
    #rate 44100
    periods 128
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024 # must be power of 2
    buffer_size 8192
    pcm.MixLoopback { type dmix
    ipc_key 1025
    slave { pcm "hw:Loopback,0,0"
    rate 48000
    #rate 44100
    periods 128
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024 # must be power of 2
    buffer_size 8192
    - copied over from here.
    the soundcard is a basic laptop intel chip.
    $ dmesg|grep -i intel
    [ 1.037761] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
    [ 19.315080] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
    [ 20.408741] input: HDA Intel Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input10
    [ 20.408940] input: HDA Intel Line as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input11
    [ 20.409100] input: HDA Intel Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input12
    thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by ondoho (2013-11-07 19:37:46)

so, is it possible to duplicate & reroute the default card's pcm or master channel back into the default card's Line channel (Line in)?
    If you're talking about the analog audio path the answer is maybe. But fair warning, you'll be spending many more hours (maybe) getting it to work while wallowing real deep in today's integrated audio hardware and ALSA if you want to use this method.
    the soundcard is a basic laptop intel chip.
    This is the first thing you need to learn. That chip is generic and found on almost all modern x86 motherboards. Where the audio magic actually happens is the "codec" chip and the vendor/model varies. The HDA Intel chip merely "talks" to the codec chip which sits "behind" the HDA Intel chip on the bus.
    So the first step is to figure out which codec chip is installed and then determine if you can "manually" connect the "virtual wires" inside the codec to make a connection from the output (play) to the input (capture).
    One way that you might find which codec you have is to enter:
        less /proc/asound/cardX/codec#Y
    where "X" is your card number and "Y" is the codec number
    Just look for "Codec:" near the top. Also, there's gobs of other good info in that file that will be used in a moment.
    The codec chip contains what I call "virtual wires" that connect it's internal components (amplifiers, mixers, ADCs, DACs, etc). ALSA gathers info from BIOS and determines which connections to enable, but I've found that most codec chips have many connections that are not enabled. More importantly in this case, I've also found that many chips have a connection from the output (play) to the input (capture), it's just not enabled... and that may (or may not) also be the case for your chip. I've been able to enable the internal connections in my chips to create a hardware loopback so that Line Out is connected to Line In... so what you hear in the speakers is also sent to ALSA's capture interface... and the capture level is independently adjustable.
    So how would you inspect and change these "virtual wires"? With a program called hda-analyzer. It will use the data in the /proc/asound directory (and more) to show you how your codec is wired in both text and graphics form, along with allowing you to change it. One way to get it is by running this command:
    wget -O run.py http://www.alsa-project.org/hda-analyzer.py
    I'll leave it to you to figure out which dependency packages need to be installed, but once you install them, run:
    python2 run.py
    where it will download yet more code (possibly in the /dev/shm directory) and will barf because you either need to install yet more dependency packages to run hda_analyzer.py, or simply because it tried to automatically run it using python3 (because it's also a python2 program, so run it manually like: "python2 hda_analyzer.py").
    Once you get it running, the confusion factor will probably kick into high gear. Take your time and poke around. Get your bearings somewhat by clicking on "Graph" to display the wiring layout and hover your mouse over the square blocks and the wires. As I said in a previous post, if you can download the datasheet for your codec chip, it may help if it includes an internal diagram:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147208
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1089243
    Any changes you make to the "wiring" are instantaneous (so you can try it while making changes) and will go away on a reboot. Clicking "Exp" will create a python script of your changes that you can run later to make those connections again from the command line.
    Good luck, and I'll check back to help if I can find the time... that is if you're up for such a major challenge.
    Last edited by pigiron (2013-11-10 04:31:25)

Maybe you are looking for

• Learning Solution: Instructor / Tutor iView(s) not working in Portal

Hi all . . . We just installed the Instructor/Tutor package in our sandbox portal.  I gave the role to myself so that I could see the Instruction and Tutoring tab. Yet, when I click on Work Overview to see the Instructor's Work Center iView, it throw

• Using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14

Very disappointed with this choice. I will definitely be seeking to uninstall this version and go back a version or two. Two many extra steps to export an mp4 now. And now we also have to wait longer for a mp4 to render and can't take advantage of th

• Getting Polygon out of the Area

Hi, I have an Area and after some transformation I am trying to get the Polygon out of it. Does anyone know the best way to do it? Here is my code snippet: int[] tPointsX= {0, 0, 100}; int[] tPointsY= {0, 50, 50}; int tN= 3; Polygon triangle = new Po

• Touch screen not working properly

I've encountered a weird problem with my newly purchased iPhone 3G S. The touch screen doesn't work as it ought to. I.e. when I "slide to unlock" nothing happens at first if the iPhone lies on the table, but if I pick up the phone and hold it in my l

• For Macs next trick: Quicktime 7.6 magically disappears! .

Who else has had QuickTime 7.6 magically disappear? I updated, it disappeared, I reinstalled it doesn't show up ANYWHERE. I installed from the Mac OSX Install disc AND from the QT  web site. Nothing. The problem started when I went to upgrade to QT 7