Anyone running ubuntu 11.x on a t420?

if so, any thoughts/comments/tips/suggestions?
i'm hopefully going to be doing this soon, in a dual boot configuration with windows7, and am looking for any info that may help me out.
thanks.

I cannot answer your question directly, as I do not own a T420.  However, since no one else has replied, I can tell you the following:
* I own a T61, which is a predecessor to the T420, but less capable.  I have successfully installed Ubuntu 11.04 on it, as well as previous Ubuntu versions.  I have installed these in both single-boot and dual-boot configurations.  I have also installed other distros, such as Fedora, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and maybe a few others.
* I find that Thinkpads have very good compatibility with various Linux distributions.  It is possible that some function or another does not work, but I have never had an insurmountable obstacle.  The issues I faced with a Thinkpad under Linux were different, but in my opinion, preferable to the ones I faced under Windows.
My current setup is a dual operating system, but not dual-boot.  Is there a particular reason you want dual-boot?  Have you had dual-boot experience before?  If you are not sure this is what you want, there may be alternatives that will meet your needs as well or better.
If you do a dual-boot, I recommend installing Windows first and then Ubuntu.  Ubuntu is set up so it can be installed alongside Windows with little grief.  Windows does not play as nicely if Ubuntu is already on the system.
A few resources I have found helpful, besides the ubiquitous Google, are ThinkWiki, which contains installation instructions specific for Thinkpads; also ThinkpadForums (or was it notebookreview forums), which had a good discussion section for Thinkpads and Linux; and also the Ubuntu (or whatever distro you choose) forums.
My experience is that battery life has been better under Linux than under Windows.  However, I understand the latest Thinkpads have optimized the Windows battery life, and have pulled ahead of what Linux does.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them up.
Hope this not-quite-direct reply helps some.
JV474

Similar Messages

• What Configuration for Thinkpad T400 running Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit?

Hello,
    I will soon be assisting in the purchase of a new T400 for a friend of mine to use mainly for finishing up her Masters thesis on and also to use for her work as a teacher.
    She will be going from an old Dell latitude x300 (which died of course) that ran Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit. I have finally convinced her that a Thinkpad T series is the way to go and that it is worth it to pay the extra money for durability and quality.
    It will be pretty much a base system as she doesn't have a whole lot of money to play with but right now with the pretty huge sale going on I hope we can get a good deal.
     My question is what kind of configuration should I go for while customizing the system? I don't want to opt for a wifi card that's going to cause problems etc.
    I did look at the thinkwiki.org site and it looks like most things work fine but some things may have issues, though I'm not sure how up to date that information actually is now that Ubuntu 8.10 has had some time to mature a bit.
     So what I would like to know is if there are any little things that may not work that I should know about:
    Bluetooth - Looks like it works according to thinkwiki.org
    What wifi card to use?
        ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III  
        Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology [add $20.00]  
        Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology [add $40.00] [Lenovo recommended]
     I'm thinking stick with the base option but maybe having AGN functionality will be worth it for somewhat of a futureproofing idea. Is the Intel 5100 worth the extra 20 dollars? Is it fully functional now? What is better about the 5300 chipset that makes it more expensive than the 5100 chipset? Are either of these worth it? I don't want them if they are going to need some kind of hacking to get to work.
    Understand this computer is not for me. It's for an english teacher who is Not a techie at all. But is comfortable using Ubuntu for basic things. I just don't want an update to break wifi everytime like it did on her old dell with the boardcom chipset.
    I'm thinking pretty basic for the screen: 14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight, Camera
    How well does the camera work? Looks like it should work fine but I want confirmation of this. She will be using Skype with it preferably with video conferencing so that her 1 1/2yr old daughter can talk with her father when they move away this summer. So functional video is a must.
    For card slot I'm thinking:  Express Card Slot & 7-1 Media Card Reader
    How well does the media card reader function? She will be using this to transfer photos off her camera. Regular sd cards work fine?
    I appreciate everyone and anyone's input on this especially with this being a somewhat time sensitive purchase as the sale will end this week and she needs a new machine ASAP for her thesis writing.
    Also, should would be getting the 6-cell battery instead of the default 4-cell. How much wiggle does a 6-cell have in the new T400's compared to the 9-cell in the T61's?
    I purchased a T61 with 9-cell battery for my mother last summer (Running Ubuntu) and I must say the battery wiggle is absolutely horrible! One of the mounting hooks on the battery itself has become damaged and it's not from over abuse. I can't imagine the massive amount of flex/wiggle helped it at all.
    I'm thinking a 6-cell on this one would provide decent enough battery life but not protrude as much as the 9-cell and hopefully be a bit more durable as I am not impressed with the 9-cell.
    Oh and by the way, the video will just be the base integrated intel video, not switchable graphics as that will be unneccesary.
    Sorry for the long winded post but I (we) certainly appreciate any clarity we can get!

I see you have already purchased your T400. But for others reading this, I'd recommend going with the integrated (Intel) graphics rather than the discrete or switchable graphics. As jrsmartyn said, cutting-edge hardware can present a challenge with Linux. But Intel is much more active than ATI/AMD right now with Linux driver development. That doesn't necessarily mean smooth sailing with either choice: you'll need a recent distro for Intel graphics support as well. But the near-term future looks better for Intel than for AMD graphics support.
    The switchable graphics is interesting if you require higher performance than integrated graphics can provide. But it's complicated and new and I've seen many complaints that it doesn't work smoothly, especially with Linux. Another disadvantage to switchable graphics is that it seems only the ATI graphics have access to the digital video outputs (integrated DisplayPort and DVI on dock). A better option than switchable graphics may be to use an Advanced Dock with PCI express video card.
    Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
    Did someone help you?
    Say thanks! with a kudo.
    Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

• Running Ubuntu via Parallels

Hi everyone,
    I know most people are able to run Windows 7 via Parallels Desktop 6. However, I wanted to be able to run Ubuntu 10.04 via Parallels. I am unsure about how to do this as it does not recognize my partition. I am able to load natively fine, but not via Parallels. I also posted this question on the Ubuntu and Parallels forums, but there are no responses so far. Does anyone know?

I run ubuntu on the free VirtualBox with no problems and I think there are easy instructions on the web, in case that option is of interest.

• Running ubuntu

For one of my Computer Science classes I need to be able to boot from a USB drive to run ubuntu because the class is Python. On the PC's in the class I can boot from the USB on start-up and it boots ubuntu. However, when i hold opt during start-up on my Mac it doesn't recognize the USB drive as a bootable disk. Can anyone help me out here, I really need to know how to do this so that I don't have to go on Campus every time I need to do work for the class.

An alternative to trying to get your MacBook to boot ubuntu from an external drive might be to run the freeware VirtualBox to run ubuntu within Mac OS X. It won't be as fast, but should be more than speedy enough for Python development, and you won't have to keep rebooting your Mac every time you need to switch between operating systems. Worth considering, anyway, IMO.
    Regards.

• How to install the new BIOS for Satellite Pro M50 running Ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu on my Pro M50. Could someone advise me what the latest BIOS is and how to install it?
    The BIOS upgrade site here seems to havean exe file but I couldn't see the BIOS file within?
    Thanks

Why do you want to update the BIOS?!
    Do you have any big troubles with your notebook?!
    The Toshiba European driver page provides BIOS for XP and BIOS for Vista.
    Both BIOS versions must be executed while the operating system is running!
    If you use the Linux on your notebook, you will be not able to update the BIOS!!!
    Do you understand?
    Once again; The BIOS update should be done ONLY if its absolutely necessary. In other case dont update it!

• Running ubuntu on the 5k imac

Is there support for running ubuntu on the new 5k 27 inch imac, i need to run closed source code that was compiled on linux, so won't run on mac OS and i can't recompile it, my questions is
    a) is it possible to run ubuntu on the new 5k imac (so does the graphics card support it, are there any driver issues, can it output to the screen etc)
    b) if so is it possible to run at the native 5k resolution (unlikely i know but would be nice)
    i don't plan on getting the graphics card upgrade, just the base AMD one

Yes to all. Use AMD Catalyst 14.9 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

• Requesting Windows Experience Index scores from anyone running WIN 7 on either current-model 13" MBPs... Thanks!

Requesting Windows Experience Index scores from anyone running WIN 7 on either current-model 13" MBPs... Thanks!

Hi mchainmchainmch,
    I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure, I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums, since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/bd-p/bsc-271
    I hope this helps!
    Regards
    MechPilot
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

• Has anyone run into the problem of downloading or opening an E.pdf file? I am running on 10.6.8 and am unable to open the file. Any suggestions?

Has anyone run into the problem of downloading or opening an E.pdf file? I am running on 10.6.8 and am unable to open the file. Any suggestions?

That crash appears to be casued by the Facebook plug-in.
    Create a new account (systempreferences -> accounts or Users & Groups on 10.7 and 10.8), make a new Library in that account, import some shots  and see if the problem is repeated there. If it is, then a re-install of the app might be indicated. If it's not, then it's likely the app is okay and the problem is something in the main account.

• The iPhone cannot be synced. Unknown error (13019) - anyone run into this?

The iPhone cannot be synced. Unknown error (13019) - anyone run into this?

Stephen's got you covered.
    I've also seen the following reported cause/workaround:
    After several Google searches I found the iPad syncing problem to be caused by iPhoto 9.4 not handling the & correctly in names. It's not recognizing them as & which is causing problems with XML. You can manually change them or wait for Apple to issue a fix to iPhoto 9.4. I started to do the manual fix & I just have too many to change.
    (Manual renaming isn't going to be an easy/good workaround for a bunch of folks, though.)

• Is anyone running Photoshop CS6 on a Windows Vista 32 bit machine  without problems

Is anyone running Photoshop CS6 on a Windows Vista 32 bit machine  without problems? I have over 400 GB,s  free disc space (c drive) and still am getting lots of errors and program closing problems.  I do not have USB3 on my machine so if I purchased a few 256  GB ssd drives would this help it from crashing?
    Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    Message was edited by: jackg032

jackg032 wrote:
    Is anyone running Photoshop CS6 on a Windows Vista 32 bit machine  without problems? I have over 400 GB,s  free disc space (c drive) and still am getting lots of errors and program closing problems.  I do not have USB3 on my machine so if I purchased a few 256  GB ssd drives would this help it from crashing?
    Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    Message was edited by: jackg032
    Jack, as Curt has suggested, available drive space comes well down the list regards a happy experience with Photoshop.   You have also asked a self-defeating question, because the fact you are running Vista, and a 32bit version at that, more or less precludes the ability to run without problems.
    Windows 7 was billed as the first MS OS to need less system resources than its predecessor.  If your system hardware will support 64bit, then consider paying $90 for an OS upgrade  What is your system out of interest?  I have a feeling you are running with just 2Gb RAM, which just isn’t enough.  Post your specs or make and model, and I am sure you’ll get some help with what your mainboard will handle by way of RAM and whether it will support 64bit.

• ATT anyone running Fedora Core 4

Can anyone running Fedora Core 4 please compile and run the following code several times and post the output here.
    import java.math.BigInteger;
    import java.security.SecureRandom;
    class RndTest {
        public static void main(String[] args) {
            SecureRandom rnd = new SecureRandom();
            for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
                System.out.print(new BigInteger(5,rnd) + " ");
    }Originally posted http://forums.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=230198 but I have yet to receive a response, hence hope posting in a high traffic forum may get one...
    Cheers

I tried it on FC4 with two different versions of java. The GCJ version has the problems you mention. Sun's JDK 1.5.0_05 worked fine.
    GCJ output:
    [brh@jupiter ~]$ java -version
    java version "1.4.2"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.1 20050727 (Red Hat 4.0.1-5)
    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    [brh@jupiter ~]$ java RndTest
    0 31 12 21 21 16 8 24 15 20
    Sun's 1.5.0_05 output:
    [brh@jupiter ~]$ jdk1.5.0_05/bin/java -version
    java version "1.5.0_05"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode)
    [brh@jupiter ~]$ jdk1.5.0_05/bin/java RndTest
    5 17 18 1 29 30 11 0 20 5
    29 31 22 22 25 15 29 9 4 27
    27 2 12 9 18 30 18 20 22 18
    30 7 1 16 27 22 22 21 15 17

• Running Ubuntu on Legion

Hi,
    Is it possible to run Ubuntu on Legion?
    I couldn't get the Solaris installation on disk.s10hw2 to mount the Ubuntu installation CD as an HSFS partition, but I did load a copy of the CD (on a new UFS partition I created) on a separate disk slice. However, when I tried to boot on that UFS partition, OPB does not recognize it as bootable.
    Are there OPB commands/arguments I could use to boot the Ubuntu installation CD (either the original ISO or my UFS-based copy)?
    In any case, if I do get the Ubuntu installer running, will it be possible for me to install it on a UFS partition that will be bootable by Legion?
    Thank you for your help!

Yes to all. Use AMD Catalyst 14.9 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

• How to use bluetooth of a Satellite L750/l755 running Ubuntu 11.10

Hi,
    I've install on my Toshiba Ubuntu 11.10, but I can't use the Bluetooth.
    In the web I've found that I had to install omnibook, but I'm not able to do this, can someone help me?
    Thanks!

Hi again
    I have tried 11.10 on a cousin of your model and BT works fine running Ubuntu in live mode.
    Did not install it though.
    However since the unit I have here is not exactly the same as your model, I cannot guarantee the information is perfectly applicable to you.
    You can check if you have same hardware as I do by opening a terminal and issuing the command
    lsusb -v | bDeviceProtocol
    Make sure you type the small and big letters as I show.
    This will list all your USB devices but filtering out much of the information.
    Can You find anything saying bluetooth?
    If so please look which place it has in the list.
    My list shows me 7 red instances of bDeviceProtocol and the one with Bluetooth is the last one.
    Remembering which number in the list you got type this
    lsusb
    You will see a short list with some numbers and names of manufacturers.
    Locate the line number which You got from above. They don't have number so you need to count them.
    You will probably see something like:
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0930:0214 Toshiba corp
    That is your Bluetooth device ID.
    Please provide it here so I can see if we are using the same devices.
    Next issue this command:
    lsmod |grep blue
    You will see which modules are loaded that has anything to do with bluetooth.
    My unit tells me this
    bluetooth 148839 23 bnep, rfcomm,btusb
    toshiba_bluetooth 12711 0
    Never mind the numbers, just tell me which modules you see.
    Cheers
    Tom

• Anyone Running Aperture 3, One library with 150,000+ Photos?

Would like to now if anyone is running Aperture 3 with a very large Library? Ideally I would like to hear from anyone running one library with 150,000 images or more. I'm planning to Import just short of 200,000 images and I'm hoping it will handle it. If anyone responds I would be grateful for mac specs as well. . Thanks for your input in advance.
    www.naturalexposures.com
    Aperture Applets Blog Posts

You'll not have any trouble with most processes on any dual-core 2GHz Mac with 4 or more GB RAM.  (With only 4 GB, you shouldn't run any other programs when Aperture in running.) 
    Sharing Previews is a no-no (but IME it is the single biggest bog-field in the app).  Load time will go up.  Faces may become slow.  It will take A LONG TIME (days) for Aperture to finish all its initial internal processing.  Search the forum for general suggestions on keeping Aperture running well.
    I built up a test library of 250,000 images just to make sure.  I was able to run this Library off of an external FW400 drive (the whole Library, not just the Masters) on a 2.3 GHZ dual-core laptop w. 4 GB RAM.
    I have since put together a database of 350,000+ images.  It runs fine.  I'd say it runs "normal" on all machines, as long as operations are kept to 100 images or so.  Relocating a quarter-million Masters will take some time.  Moving 10,000 images into new Projects, or moving those Projects into new Albums, can take a few minutes (but under ten).
    You should set aside a week for the import and all the processing.  I strongly suggest turning Faces off until the Library is structured and working (you've made most major changes and you've not stumbled across any glitches).  Then you can turn Faces on and let it run in the background for a few days.  I suggest NEVER turning on "Share Previews".  YMMV.
    My experience w. a 350,000 image Library leads me to believe that it could handle 10x that.  The breakdown of the work seems to have been well-engineered to fit the currently available pipelines.  But -- the faster your machine, the faster Aperture will run.  Tony Gay and I compared his PowerMac with my MacBookPro for some Aperture tasks -- his was twice as fast.
    Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

• When downloading the trial, has anyone run into download issues?

when downloading the trial, has anyone run into download issues?

I remembered we have weird permission issues at work. Somewhere between my Home Windows 8 machine(horrible permissions issues with network), my home mac, email and my work computer, some permission got out of whack. The workaround for this was copying the file to my desktop, back to the exact same spot on the network. This resolved all issues.

Maybe you are looking for

• CRMT_BW_DS_ACTIVITY- Field and table origin

Hi Guys,                I am working with this extractor CRMT_BW_DS_ACTIVITY. I am trying to find the origin table and the origin field for each of the fields in this extractor.The sap help document is of no use, for example the first field i look at

• Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf

I have a 340-page book, broken into about 40 chapters.  The chapters are set as the start of a section, and there are no section changes inside the chapters.  Theoretically, the pages should number consecutively throughout the book -- and they do, in

• Hi there, putting movies in ipod classic.?

Hi all, Can anybody tell if it is possible to put movies or TV programs like Dora the explorer or Spongebob in the IPOD classic. I have them in the itunes library but i cannot transfer it to the ipod it self. Thanks

• How to define the size of a EVS as 0(null)

Hi, Actually in my project I have done 3 fields 1.firstdate 2.Lastdate 3.Absence Type(EVS which hold the data from BAPI).. When I select firstdate and lastdate it is calculating and it is showing the no of days by clicking of a action..and when selct

• Editing Computer object "info" attribute in AD

Hi. I need to make it possible for users to update the AD computer object of the machine they are logged onto. To be able to do this I need to grant users write access to the "info" attribute of computer objects in AD. My problem is that I cannot fig