Attaching external monitor to T410

I have a T410 running Windows XP and I'm unsuccesfully trying to connect the Dell monitor from my desktop computer to the laptop.  I got a DVI to VGA adaptor for the monitor cord.  When I attach the cord with the adaptor to the VGA port on the laptop and then hit FN F7, the laptop screen flashes black, but nothing happens on the monitor.  When I check NVDIA control panel and try to set up multiple displays, it does recognize the Dell 1704FPT.  However, if I click on Clone, nothing happens on the monitor.  The monitor does work when attached to the desktop.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

if you want to use the DVI port on the Dell LCD, then you would need to get a Displayport to DVI passive adapter. Otherwise, use the plain vga to vga cable. 
Regards,
Jin Li
May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Similar Messages

• Broken iMac Screen; How To Attach External Monitor?

I have an intel 17" iMac and the screen is broken. How can I attach and use just the external monitor as the main monitor? Thanks.

For a DVI monitor, you will need a Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter and a DVI-D cable.
    For a VGA monitor, you will need a Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter and a VGA cable.
    Then once the monitor is hooked up, go to: Apple > System Preferences > Displays and turn Mirroring Off. Then go to the Arrangement tab and drag the menu bar from the iMac display to the connected monitor.

• Attaching external monitor

I am trying to attach an external monitor, Acer V223w to my MacBook that's running Windows XP. When I do this, the (internal) display on the MacBook flashes between the normal desktop and black endlessly.
    Note that (immediately) previous to attaching this monitor, I had the MacBook attached to another monitor (Acer AL2423W) and it was working great. Possibly this has something to do with the problem: maybe there is some "remnant" driver or setting that is causing a problem and that I can get rid of somehow.
    When I attach the monitor to the MacBook, in the device manager, 5 or so "Plug and Play Monitor"s appear. Also, nothing appears on the external monitor. I have tried deleting all the Plug and Play Monitors from the device manager, but that doesn't help. I have found no way to eliminating the endless flashing of the MacBook's display.
    In any case, I very much want to use an external display, but plugging one in makes the MacBook unusable. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

if you want to use the DVI port on the Dell LCD, then you would need to get a Displayport to DVI passive adapter. Otherwise, use the plain vga to vga cable. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Attaching external monitor resets laptop display scale

Sometimes when I connect my Thunderbolt monitor to my Macbook the laptop display resets back to no scaling. This ***** because I then have to change it back and fix all my windows. This happens maybe 15% of the time; it's happened many times now.
    I've also had one case where on restart the laptop reset the scale. It was not connected to the external monitor when that happened.
    Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Hi there ,  Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions.  I see that you wanted to know if there was a way to hook your Spectre X360 up to an External Monitor and be able to close the lid to your Notebook without it going to sleep. I did some research on this for you also. In Power Options, Choose what closing the lid does, you should have an option that says "Do nothing". Set it to "Do Nothing".  Here is a video for you  this video explains how to change the Power Option settings to "Do Nothing". If you do not see this option, please do all of your driver updates either with the HP Driver's website for your specific Spectre X36 Notebook, or you can do them using the HP Support Assistant. You can change the Power Settings when on battery and when plugged in directly. You could change the settings when you do not have an external monitor plugged in to sleep when the lid is closed.  Thank you for writing on the HP Support Forums!  Have a great day!

• All opened applications crash when external monitor is attached in to MacBook Air 2013

I experience crashes (automatical restarts) of all the applications when I attach external monitor. I have MacBook Air 13-inch mid 2013 and OS X 10.8.4 in spanish. The crashes are regular but not every time I attach monitor.
    Does anyone experience the same?
    Thanks,
    Jura

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.
    If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you also have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

• External monitor for 12" iBook G4 800MHz

My iBook G4 800MHz has recently been promoted to being my main desktop computer. I am in the market for an external monitor that will work well with it. Does anyone who has direct experience with attaching external monitors to the iBook G4 have any advice?
    So far, I have learned that it will not support any more than 1024x768. However, most of the monitors I've seen are listed at higher than that. Will these monitors work with it, albeit at the lower resolution? This ViewSonic, in particular, has caught my eye. I use a ViewSonic at work (with a Windows PC) and I'm very happy with it so I was leaning in that direction.
    I also understand about the video mirroring issue, and have discovered that I could use ScreenSpanningDoctor to overcome it. But unless I get a monitor that works, I'm being premature to worry about that at this point.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Mac OS X (10.3.9)  

LCD screens have a "native" resolution. This is the resolution they're designed to run at. While you can usually lower the resolution of an LCD screen from its native resolution, the results will not be very good. You can see this if you change the resolution of your iBook's LCD screen to 800 x 600 for a little while. The display in your link has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024. So, it may be capable of stepping down to 1024 x 768, but the result may be a fuzzy image. Without the Screen Spanning Doctor, this display might not be a very good choice.
    CRT screens are much more capable of changing resolutions. A 17" CRT screen might be a better choice whether you decide to use the SSD or not.
    Someone else may have to comment on that screen's performance, though.
    -Doug

• Satellite Pro L360-14E - Cannot play videos on external monitor

Toshiba Satellite Pro L360-14E
    Video files as avi, flv, mp4 are played with SM-player etc. on the screen of the notebook, but not on the attached external monitor.
    In a log there is the error message: MPlayer crashed by bath usage OF CPU/FPU/RAM.
    What can mean that?

Did you switch already to the external monitor using the FN+F5 buttons?
    Do this.
    Furthermore you have to switch firstly to external screen and then you have to start the windows media player or other video player.
    I would recommend using the VLC player. Its fro free and plays most files

• T410 won't recognize external monitor on KVM

I have a ThinkPad T410 with Windows XP SP3. I've installed the latest Presentation Director (4.55) and the latest Intel HD drivers (6.14.10.5273). If I hook up my external LCD monitor (an HP L2045w) directly from the VGA port on the monitor to the VGA port on the laptop, I can extend my video display to this monitor. However, if I attach the monitor through a KVM switch (a Belkin Omniview E series), I can't. I don't have a dock for this laptop.
    The weird thing is that if I set the BIOS so that the external display is the boot display, the external mointor shows the boot screens even when on the KVM switch. I can even get the external display to work on the KVM switch if I boot into Safe Mode. But when I boot into Normal mode while on the KVM switch, the external monitor goes dark as soon as Windows switches video modes, and after I log in I can't extend my display onto the external monitor.
    Any ideas?
    BlueBearr

I'm having exactly the same problem.. I'm thinking it might be a power issue (the power adapter for the omniview series was optional) - but I've never seen this before, and I'm seeing other external monitor issues crop up... let me know if you find a solution.
    Oh, my keyboard and mouse work fine, just not the monitor.

• Connecting the T410s to an external monitor

1) Excuse the ignorant question but how would you connect the T410s to an external monitor?  The T410s has a DisplayPort port, but what if the monitor does not have a DisplayPort port but an HDMI port?
    2) Which leads into my second question.  How would I connect the T410s to two external monitors?  I guess whatever the answer is to the above question, but connect some kind of a splitter coming out of the T410s DisplayPort port?
    3) And lastly, take a look at this link...
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/we​b/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04​D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=19C791A03A​F24034A0011B825513BCED&tabname=Gallery
    Once you get there, click on T400s below the thumbnails.  If that long link I pasted does not work right, it is the T-series gallery on Lenovo's site.  In one of the pictures, it shows the T400s connected to two external monitors, but does not say how.  They brag at how you can export 2560x1600 to two monitors without the use of a dock.  Is this possible even though the T410s video card tops out at 1440x900?
    Thank you.
    ~Paul
    Lenovo ThinkPad T410s - 2901CTO
    IBM ThinkPad T41p - 2373GGU
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Thank you, lead_org.  You've been very helpful.  Last 2 questions hopefully.
    1) Regarding the use of DisplayPort on the Mini Dock Plus, since DisplayPort transmits audio as well as video (unlike the old style VGA which only sent video), if I connected the Mini Dock Plus to the HDMI port of my monitor (using a DP-to-HDMI adapter of course) would I lose audio out coming out of the green miniplug port on the mini dock, since the system might assume I want all audio to go through the DisplayPort cable?  I have seperate external speakers I want to use and not the ones on the monitor.
    2) Do you lose any quality when you connect to an external monitor using a Mini Dock, as opposed to connecting directly from the T410s itself?  The reason I'm asking is that some people claimed that using the green miniplug audio port on the dock generates a much lower volume than if they were to plug the speakers directly into the laptop instead.
    ~Paul
    Lenovo ThinkPad T410s - 2901CTO
    IBM ThinkPad T41p - 2373GGU

• Can I attach an external monitor to my iMac G5 (ALS) if the video card is dead?

I don't know for a fact that the video card is dead, but the screen on my iMac (PPC/ALS) 20" gradually started flaking out over several months and is now dead. Computer boots up fine and I'm looking at it through target mode right now.  I want to keep using the computer if I can, so I am wondering if I can attach an external monitor through the DVI slot even if the video card is kaput.  I'd like to get an opinion or two on this before I buy a used monitor and cable.  Thanks!

You have found the answer. If the video chipset is OK but there is a fault in the internal display or its cabing, an external monitor will work. However, if the video chipset--which is farther "upstream" in the system--goes bad, the option of an external monitor is off the table.

• T410 Win8 - BSOD when attaching external projector

Hello,
    I have such a problem:
    my T410 with Windows 8 hangs as soon as I choose "Duplicate screen" option when I have attached external projecto to VGA port.
    Have you got any solutions? So far new NVidia drivers are not available.
    Best regards,

Hi w454385
    How about updating your BIOS and driver with ThinkVantage System Update to see if the issue persist? If issue persist, contact Tech Support.
    Peter  | I  2013
    W520 (4284-A99)
    Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future | Please do not email me regarding technical problems, you could post it in the forum
    =====================================
    Sound Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)
    Dolby Home Theater v4 ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet

• Attach powerbook to external monitor

I would like to attach my laptop to an external monitor. I have the DVI to VGA cable but it's not long enough is there an extension cable available or does anyone now of a longer cable?

You can readily buy VGA male-to-female cables to extend the length at places like Maplins in the UK, although mailorder maybe less expensive.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97365
    Or simply a longer DVI to VGA cable in 1.5 or 3m lengths:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97372
    Here in the USA, Monoprice.com has a good reputation for value on many cables.

• MacBook Pro won't stay asleep with external monitor attached.  When sleep is selected from the Apple menu the computer will go to sleep only to continually wake up...go back to sleep...wake up...etc. every few seconds.

MacBook Pro won't stay asleep with external monitor attached.  When sleep is selected from the Apple menu the computer will go to sleep only to continually wake up...go back to sleep...wake up...etc. every few seconds.  This only happens when using the external monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mine does that too. The worst thing is when it goes to sleep, then wakes up and keeps running while the lid is closed and it is wrapped up in a case. I am afraid when the hot weather comes it is going to burn up. I am hoping Apple fixes it in the software or they may have a melted MBP to replace.
    Then when I open the lid it is crashed running at fill tilt, pumping out heat to beat the band. I am forced to hold the button down and reboot.
    I wiped my hard disk and reinstalled my OS, but it didn't help. I reversed my OS to 10.5.0 and it solved the DVI problem but still won't sleep. This post will probably be deleted by Apple, they did it a few days ago. I just don't know what to do, and I consider myself a real Apple expert. Just hoping you realize you are not the only one.

• Using EXTERNAL Monitor (eSata question too) do you need KEYBOARD Attached?

First, do you need a keyboard attached? I ask as I can't seem to figure out how to use external MONITOR and CLOSE the macbook pro to watch STREAMING video as the computer goes to sleep.
    Have tried using the F7 as well as in display preferences moving the DOCK to various monitors, regardless, it still goes to sleep when I shut the MBP, so am wondering if a keyboard has to be attached as it doesn't know you are watching video.
    Second thing, I want to use the EXTERNAL to WATCH STREAMING video, however, if I click on FULL SCREEN (external) which is using Silveright, both DISPLAYS go FULL Screen. For the life of me I cannot get external to display FULL SCREEN and have the MBP open to use for other things, work, net browsing, et-cetera.
    Thanks.

I ask as I can't seem to figure out how to use external MONITOR and CLOSE the macbook pro to watch STREAMING video as the computer goes to sleep.
    If your MacBook Pro goes to sleep who will stream the video?
    For the life of me I cannot get external to display FULL SCREEN and have the MBP open to use for other things, work, net browsing, et-cetera.
    If the mirror display is turned off in the "Display" preference, you would be able to (usually) watch videos in full screen in the external display and work in your main display. But some application may not support this. Check if the application that you are using for streaming video has any preferences to deal with the external display, if not, see if there is any other application that would solve the problem.

• Can i attach my macbook pro to 2 external monitors using a mini displayport to HDMI connector and then an HDMI to dual DVI connector?

I would use the 2 external monitors in closed lid mode with my macbook pro
    would it let me work with an extended dual monitor desktop ??

Any answers? I a similar question. If theres any way to connect my MacBook Pro into 2 monitors. I'm using right now just one.

Maybe you are looking for

• My Infinity Order Keeps Getting Cancelled! And Muc...

Hi. Sorry, this is REALLY long, but I needed to document this somewhere. I own a house. I have two phone lines on my account. I pay the bills for both, but one is used exclusively by my lodger. He pays me for his calls, broadband, etc. For years this

• How do I switch from one page to another in Safari

When I have more than one page opened in Safari I do not know how to switch one page to the other. Thank you in advance. Denny

• Can't view gif images.

I had to reinstall Yosemite on my computer and since I did that I can't view gif images in Firefox and Safari.  What do I need to do to be able to view gif images? Bill

• Import error in FDM

Hello Experts, When we are trying to import the .dat file into FDM, we are getting the following error. Error: An error occurred importing the file. Detail: Data access error User ID........... lgastaldello Location.......... DreamFDQM Source File...

• Login with user name

Logged out and back in on the old forum.(this forum) Followed the prompts to migrate account. However, when I log into the new forum my MM user name shows. Yesterday I was logged in to the new forum under my old name.