Average power consumption comparision: i7 and t500

Hi,
What is the average power consumption (non-peak) of a t500 system,
doing web-surfing and light tasks ?
I have read that the i7 mobiles (non-lenovo) are at 52W avg, and 75W peak,
and this will help me decide whether to buy the t500 or wait for the lenovo
i7 based laptops
thanks!

P8400 / P8600 etc core2duo mobile (2,2-2,4ghz) take 25W. I think in office use my T400 uses about 15W, not sure. It depends on load. I find quad core laptop CPUs quite useless for the average user.I think the i7 mobiles have a 45W specification, which is quite higher than the modern dual cores.  I prefer longer battery life to having four cores i will most likely never use in daily work. This changes, of course, if you use your laptop as Desktop replacement or primarily for CPU intensive tasks, such as video en/decoding.
Thinkpad T400 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

Similar Messages

• HT201335 I found it cost a lot of energy . Is it true? Is there any spec to describe detail power consumption about airplay and airplay mirroring?

I found it cost a lot of energy . Is it true? Is there any spec to describe detail power consumption about airplay and airplay mirroring?

Welcome to the Apple Community.
    The Apple TV uses 6 W, which IMO is hardly a lot of energy.

• Optimising power consumption of backlight and wifi

Hi there,
    Do you have any effective measures in place to optimise power consumption of backlight and wifi?
    On my Thinkpad X200T they are by far the biggest consumers of power.
    How much does backlight and wifi consume on your laptops?

@centos
    Well, I tried acpi_osi='!Windows 2012' acpi_backlight=legacy and got 11.9 W and 4 hours which is a record
    Interestingly when the results were 13.5 W and 15 W powertop showed
    7.66 W 33.7% Device Display backlight
    Now it shows
    11.0 W 76.8% Device Display backlight
    @orschiro
    And I also have it twice
    orschiro wrote:
    If you go to the Device stats tab, you see that the % column is labelled Usage.
    Out of curiousity, is Display Backlight displayed twice for you under Device Stats?
    With acpi_osi='!Windows 2012' acpi_backlight=legacy and 11.9 W and 4 hours
    5.52 W 76.8% Display backlight
    5.52 W 20.0% Display backlight
    Without acpi_osi='!Windows 2012' acpi_backlight=legacy and 13.5 W and approximately 3 hours
    3.83 W 33.7% Display backlight
    3.83 W 20.0% Display backlight

• Power consumption for router and switch

I have a linksys EZSX88W switch which I checked power consumption of 70ma idle. It's supplied by the adapter which has an output of 1000ma. Not sure what the consumption when switch is being used. I also have an WRT54GS but haven't checked consumption yet, but it's powered by the same 1000ma adapter. In an effort to save energy-that -GREEN FEELING- I was thinking of using on power adapter to power bothe the router and switch. Has anyone tried this yet?? Also if I posted this in the wrong area I hope the moderator will move the post.
    thanks

So you are thinking of Powering on both the Devices using a single Power Adapter? Well never tried to make both the devices use a single power adapter. As far as i think its not possible. But if you still wish, you can give a try and check if that works for you or not.

• Whats the power consumption in standby and read/write mode on the Hitachi HTS545032B9A302 ?

Hello, im about to but an ssd and dont want to pick a drive with more energy consumption to reduce the battery time so i wonder if someone knows the conumption for the Hitachi HTS545032B9A302 drive on the new macbook pro or in worst case if someone dares to approximately guess the consumption in W(Watt)

Does the hard drive label say 5V 700ma?
    You might look at the Hitachi spec sheet for the A300/A301's, which have the same power specs: http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/FFA370A7BF845F87862574FE0003 054C/$file/TS5K500B_DS_final.pdf

• Thinkwatt: record power consumption and visualize it with gnuplot

https://github.com/mikar/thinkwatt wrote:
    Thinkwatt is a bash script for use with thinkpad laptops. However, as of v0.2, it works with all kinds of laptops as long as they've got a battery attached.
    Thinkwatt can
    * record your power consumption,
    * calculate an average of that consumption
    * and visualize that data in a 2D gnuplot graphic.
    options:   
        -r, --record    record power consumption and optionally create a graph from the gathered data
        -p, --plot    create a plot image from a specified data file
        -a, --average    calculate the average power consumption from a specified data file
        -q, --quiet    makes thinkwatt less chatty
        -o, --output    the output file. can be prepended by a path.
        -h, --help    show this help text
    examples:
        thinkwatt -r (will record to a temp file until cancelled)
        thinkwatt -r 300 -o /foo/bar/consumption.dat (will record for 5 minutes to the specified file)
        thinkwatt -p /foo/bar/consumption.dat (will create a graph from the specified file)
    Thinkwatt works with all laptops, not just Thinkpads.
    If you're running thinkwatt on a Thinkpad it is still recommended to use tp_smapi as it provides more accurate results than the generic acpi.
    This is an example of what the graph can look like:
    It's mainly useful for retracing power consumption during certain situations (e.g. measuring the influence of certain hardware or software (kernel comes to mind), or simply reliably gather typical power consumption for certain activity profiles like surfing, working, watching movies etc.)
    I guess I'll add to the script when and if time and my bash skills allow it. Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.
    You can get thinkwatt from my git repository here or the AUR here.
    Regards,
    demian
    Last edited by demian (2011-05-28 21:10:30)

akurei@joel: ~ $ LANG=C thinkwatt -r 60 /home/akurei/test
    recording power consumption for the next 60 seconds
    /usr/bin/thinkwatt: line 100: /tmp/thinkwatt/28606.dat: No such file or directory
    mv: cannot stat `/tmp/thinkwatt/28606.dat': No such file or directory
    error: file not found.
    average consumption during the last 60 seconds was W
    do you want to create a graphic now, too? y/n y
    akurei@joel: ~ $ LANG=C thinkwatt -r 60
    recording power consumption for the next 60 seconds
    /usr/bin/thinkwatt: line 100: /tmp/thinkwatt/29019.dat: No such file or directory
    average consumption during the last 60 seconds was W
    do you want to create a graphic now, too? y/n y
    akurei@joel: ~ $ yaourt -Qi gnuplot
    Name : gnuplot
    Version : 4.4.3-1
    URL : http://www.gnuplot.info
    Licenses : custom
    Groups : None
    Provides : None
    Depends On : readline gd wxgtk cairo libjpeg lua
    Optional Deps : None
    Required By : None
    Conflicts With : None
    Replaces : None
    Installed Size : 3016.00 K
    Packager : Ronald van Haren <[email protected]>
    Architecture : x86_64
    Build Date : Fri May 6 10:55:29 2011
    Install Date : Mon May 16 17:04:26 2011
    Install Reason : Explicitly installed
    Install Script : Yes
    Description : Plotting package which outputs to X11, PostScript, PNG, GIF, and others
    akurei@joel: ~ $ yaourt -Qi tp_smapi
    Name : tp_smapi
    Version : 0.40-5
    URL : http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/
    Licenses : GPL
    Groups : None
    Depends On : mkinitcpio>=0.6.8 module-init-tools>=3.12-2
    Required By : None
    Installed Size : 220.00 K
    Packager : Michael Duell <[email protected]>
    Build Date : Mon May 16 17:03:41 2011
    Install Date : Mon May 16 17:03:50 2011
    Description : Modules for ThinkPad's SMAPI functionality
    akurei@joel: ~ $ yaourt -Qi gawk
    Name : gawk
    Version : 3.1.8-2
    URL : http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gawk.html
    Licenses : GPL
    Groups : base
    Provides : awk
    Depends On : sh glibc
    Required By : autoconf syslog-ng sysvinit thinkwatt
    Installed Size : 2224.00 K
    Packager : St
    Build Date : Sat Nov 20 04:00:45 2010
    Install Date : Thu May 5 19:05:55 2011
    Description : Gnu version of awk
    akurei@joel: ~ $ yaourt -Qi sed
    Name : sed
    Version : 4.2.1-3
    URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/sed
    Licenses : GPL3
    Groups : base
    Depends On : acl sh
    Required By : ca-certificates fakeroot grub mkinitcpio packer thinkwatt
    Installed Size : 804.00 K
    Packager : St
    Build Date : Fri Nov 19 22:35:32 2010
    Install Date : Thu May 5 19:05:55 2011
    Description : GNU stream editor
    akurei@joel: ~ $ lsmod|grep tp_smapi
    tp_smapi 20043 0
    thinkpad_ec 4085 2 hdaps,tp_smapi
    Last edited by akurei (2011-05-16 15:36:40)

• MacBook Pro 15" Power consumption

What is the average power consumption of a MacBook Pro 15" please? I need to buy a battery backup to cater for power cuts.

Yes, you cannot partition the RAID, period, after creation.
    The 2011 models and later have 6.0 Gb/s HDD interfaces with 3.0 Gb/s for the optical drive until after the 17" model, then 6.0 Gb/s on both interfaces. But no such support for the 2010 models like yours.
    i honestly don't see the point of installing two large capacity SSDs for a RAID setup. I put smaller SSDs where the HDD was and a large HDD in place of the optical drive. I use the SSD for startup and the HDD for storage.

• Power consumption

What is the maximum and average power consumption on an xServe G5 cluster node?

Apple only ever publish maximum power draw levels for the family - in this case, according to the technote, that's 4A @ 110V (or 2A at 220V).
    However, you have to bear in mind that the same spec is given to the single processor, dual processor and cluster node versions of the XServe G5. Clearly a dual processor machine with three drives, two PCI cards and a DVD drive is going to pull more power than a single CPU system with one drive and no PCI cards.
    This also extends to typical power draw - the system dynamically adjusts to load, so while a fully-spec'd machine could pull 4A under stress (e.g. CPU maxed, all fans at top speed, three drives in a RAID 5 config reading and writing, etc.), it might pull less than 1A if it's sitting idle waiting for something to do. Therefore there is no such thing as 'average' since everyone's circumstances are different.
    Most of my servers sit in the 1A - 2A range if that's any help.

• Time Capsule Power Consumption

Can anyone tell me the average Power Consumption of the Time Capsule ?
    Mine seems to be working all the time, and in some cases gets quite warm, without there being any noticable activity going on
    I really love the quality and performance of the unit but get concerned about the power consumption
    Thanks in advance
    Ken

Apple's specifications say 34 Watts.  Be sure to give the Time Capsule plenty of free airspace so that it can ventilate well to avoid overheating.

• MSI 6195 K7 Pro power consumption

Hi
    I would like to know the average power consumption of the K7 Pro motherboard excluding any adapter cards and excluding the CPU (i.e. I know the average consumption of the cards and CPU), with 3 x 256Mb memory cards installed.
    I am adding up the power requirements of each component so that I can uprate my PSU.
    Thanks
    Craig

The common approximation is around 30w for the board and 1w for each memory chip (memory chip is the actual chip, not the stick. There are up to 16 chips on a stick).
    It's important that the power for the CPU+board+RAM+cards is mostly drawn from the 3.3v and 5v lines so they must be able to supply the power. Do not go just by the total rating, which includes the 12v line.

• IMac (Retina 5K) power consumption

At what wattage is the iMac 5k (4.0 GHz) rated?
    I've ordered one, but want to properly spec out a UPS for it and my peripheral devices.
    The only tech specs I can find regarding power consumption are:
    Electrical and Operating Requirements
    Line voltage: 100-240V AC
    Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
    Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet
    (Ref: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) - Technical Specifications)

Drill down in the Tech Specs link to the Environmental Report.  ~72W at idle.

• MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum Power Consumption

Hallo,
    I try to find out the power consumption of the K8N Neo2 s939 motherboard. The working scenario is:
    Audio: Off
    Passive Cooling of NB
    4 DIMMS RAM.

For example on my rig with current configuration w/2 case fans: idle~75W, light weight card games & Hoyle Bard Games 77W~110W, DVD movie~90W-95W, Intel Burn test~160W-190W, UNIGINE Heaven~265W-280W. Any where between those extremes for other everyday things. Those figures are for my rig and would not apply to another persons rig but are just for example as to variation of power consumption depending on task performed. Also not included in those readings is my monitor as I didn't bother to use a 2 or 3 way adapter when I hooked the meter up.
     Also overclocking CPU & GPU would be much higher power consumption.
     CPU and/or graphics cards used can make a huge difference. There is no way to come even close to answering your question due to wide variations in different systems. "Kill-a-Watt" meters are as low as $20 USD on up depending on particular model and store purchased from. I use the cheap $20 unit.

• PowerMac G5 Quad Power Consumption

Hello
    I purchased a brand new Apple PowerMac from the online store.
    Quad PowerMac G5
    250GB HDD
    1GB RAM
    Standard VGA Card - GeForce 6600
    Can anyone tell the exact power consumption when idle and maximum use.
    Many thanks.
    Haresh Kainth

Unfortunately, that document only addresses idle
    power consumption, which is of limited use. You might
    be able to estimate monthly energy cost from this, if
    the computer is mostly idle, but you can't tell how
    big a UPS to buy.
    I think this is the link tele_player is referring to.
    http://www.apple.com/environment/resources/calculator.html
    -Bmer
    Mac Owners Support Group
    Join Us @ MacOSG.com
     An Apple User Group 
        MacOSG Podcast >>

• Since I have upgraded from 7.1 then the power consumption increased slightly unbelievable. I have new batteries in my iphone 5 and when I had at ios 7 so was consumption that allows the battery envelope in two days and with ios 7.1 so is it only 12 hours

Since I have upgraded from 7.1 then the power consumption increased slightly unbelievable. I have new batteries in my iphone 5 and when I had at ios 7 so was consumption that allows the battery envelope in two days and with ios 7.1 so is it only 12 hours before I need to recharge the battery.

Wrote a little wrong the first time!
    Then I upgraded to 7.1 so have power consumption increased slightly unbelievable. I have new batteries in my iphone 5 and when I had at ios 7 so was consumption that allows the battery envelope in two days and with ios 7.1 so is it only 12 hours before I need to recharge the battery.

• P7N SLI Platinum and power consumption?

In few day I'll get a Msi P7N SLI platinum to replace my Gigabyte P35,I would like to know the power consumption for 750i? Is lower than 780i?
    You can see in the picture the 780i 48W and P35 only 16W So big different!!!

A quick Google search pulled this article.  Not sure if it helps you any, but here you go...
    http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA_nForce_780i_SLI_Arrives/?page=11

Maybe you are looking for

• Report:SALE ORDER Vs DELIVERY

Hi Guru's,       Am creating a report for my client that is Delivery performance Month Wise this report should display  the customer wise Sales information like  ordered qty delivered qty then open qty for every month. So where i can fetch these info

• Different batch no in prod order at the time of creation of prod order

Hi, we need different batch numbers in production order at the time of creation of production order. tried in system, i can able to create only one batch no at the time of creation of order. we need different batch no at the time of order creation an

• Error in JMS-IDOC

i am getting an error: com.sap.aii.utilxi.misc.api.BaseRuntimeException thrown during application mapping com/sap/xi/tf/_ECC_TTG_CREATE_: RuntimeException in Message-Mapping transformatio~ JMS->IDOC scenario Plz help me out..

• I have a macbook air and time capsule...

Is there anyway of using the usb on both the time capsule and macbook air to do a full back up as it takes ages wirelessly and the macbook air has no ethernet port to do this. thanks rob

• XmlUnmarshalException: XML Deserialization Error Please Help!!!

Hi All, I am consuming the standard webservice Name: /SAPAPO/SDM_PARCRTRC I am getting the following error on execution of the web service: Service call exception; nested exception is: com.sap.engine.services.webservices.jaxrpc.exceptions.XmlUnmarsha