Boot Sector problems upgrading to WIndows 7 on T61

I'm trying to upgrade my T61 (bought in Canada with Windows Vista) to Windows 7.  However, the installation aborts partway through, with the message "Windows cannot write to the boot sector".  The most common solutions that I have found online do not work - there doesn't seem to be any problem with my registry - and it appears that the boot sector has become corrupted, although I cannot notice any problem with normal operation.
One solution I have found to this problem is to use the Windows Vista installation disk to "repair" the boot sector.  However, my T61 didn't come with Vista disks, just the Lenovo R&R package.  I haven't found a way to repair the boot sector this way.
Without some help I don't think I'll be able to perform the upgrade.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Fixed my own problem.  The Windows 7 installation disk was able to repair the boot sector.  All I needed to do was boot from the Windows 7 disks and follow the instructions for "repair" operating system.

Similar Messages

• Are their problems upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8 on HP touchsmart 320 pc

Does anyone know if their are problems upgrading windows 7 to windows 8 on my touchsmart 320 PC and if I decide to upgrade can I remove the windows app and go back to windows 7 without problems?
    Ms. BYP

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.
    The above requested information can be found on the back or bottom of the computer. Please do not include the serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and/or post it here for our review.
    THIS is HP's position on Windows 8 support and any HP computer not originally shipped with Windows 8;
    Not all Windows 8 features may be available on all PCs.
    Your particular experience with Windows 8 will be determined by the capabilities of your PC.
    HP is providing upgrade instructions and drivers will be available for most Windows 7 systems sold after 1st October 2011.
    If you want to restore the original operating system after upgrading, you must create HP recovery media before you upgrade.
    Please note that if you purchased your system prior to October 1, 2011, HP has not tested these PCs or developed Windows 8 upgrade instructions or drivers for them. Upgrading such systems may be difficult or impossible.
    and
    Important information regarding additional limitations and requirements;
    Screen Resolution Requirements
    Limitations with DVD playback software
    Limitations with Blu-ray playback software
    Limitations with TV Tuner software
    Secure Boot & other UEFI dependent features
    Limitations with touch screen capabilities;
    Windows 7 (and Windows Vista) PCs with touch screens will not have full Windows 8 touch capabilities after upgrade.
    HP PCs with touch input hardware designed for Windows 7 (or Windows Vista) will provide a comparable experience for only two touch point applications after the upgrade to Windows 8. HP Windows PCs with touch input hardware will not support Windows 8 applications that require more than two simultaneous touch points. Additionally, Windows 8 edge swipes may not be available due to the recessed bezel on HP touch systems shipped with Windows 7 (and Window Vista).
    HP TouchSmart Magic Canvas and HP TouchSmart applications are not compatible with Windows 8 and must be uninstalled before upgrading. Note that content created using the TouchSmart applications such as Graphitti will not be available after upgrading.
    I did a "clean" install of Windows 8 on my HP TouchSmart 320-1120m CTO Desktop Computer and had NO issues at all. If you do an actual "upgrade", please be aware that much of the HP value-added software that came with the computer will have to be uninstalled before doing the upgrade. You may also run into other minor issues with other software already on the computer. The only way to go back to Windows 7, is to use the HP Recovery Discs you should have already created. If you haven't yet created these discs, do so BEFORE upgrading to Windows 8.
    If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation
    Frank
    {------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
    Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V
    This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.
    HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
    HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
    HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
    HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
    HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240

• Problems upgrading to windows 10

I want to upgrade to Windows 10, and everthing that I have done indicates that my computer is compatible, but I cannot get the Windows 10 upgrade app to appear on my computer.  I have done the troubleshooting, and it tells me that I need to download an update from Microsoft.  When I downloaded the update file, the computer showed that it was already installed.  What else can I do?

The upgrade or "Get Windows 10" app is no longer  necessary.Download the operating system to a usb flashdrive or DVD or directly upgrade to Windows 10 from the following Microsoft web document.https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjADahUKEwjwwI_fvoXHAhUwBtsKHRONBPU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&ei=Gnq7VfDLErCM7AaTmpKoDw&usg=AFQjCNFP4Ix8hUr03yskYYT6Otb4zHbxKQ&sig2=efyK1vwD9wIFMioomYyv7Q&bvm=bv.99261572,d.ZGU

• Problems upgrading to Windows 10 on HP Pavilion DM1 Notebook

The Notebook is curently running Windows 7 Professional and I have been running the Windows 10 upgrade.  It goes through the first install and re-boot and then on the second phase when it is installing drivers it gets to 71% and reboots with a blue screen, I think  displaying as ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NO EXECUTE MEMORY but it is not up very long so I am not sure and rolls back to Windows 7.  I have tried disconnecting external devices, tried a clean boot, tried updating all the drivers, turning off the wifi and leaving it on a LAN only connection to no avail.  I have managed to updated a desk top pc to Windows 10 with only a little difficulty even though Windows decided the display driver was not compatible, so this is a real puzzle.

Thank you. No, Kaspersky was not installed, and I have never installed it. Is it used by McAfee, as it is sometimes bundled with Acrobat Reader? I installed it once in an update and removed it immediately. Anyway I found this file registered twice in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and in a sub folder, it was not related to any existing process so I deleted it, tried the upgrade again and it completed this time. So for anyone else with this problem look for the file name after ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NO EXECUTE MEMORY when the blue screen comes up, which is very brief, and then delete that file. In my case it was kl1.sys. This was not however recorded in the report that appeared after the system rolled back to Windows 7. Problem solved.

• Directory access problem: upgrade from windows 2000 to 2003

Hi Experts,
    We are trying to upgrade from old server(OS - windows2000) to new server (windows 2003).
    Its also upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.
    Currently we have 5 application servers mounted on a single database server.
    When we tried to upgrade in test server, user is not able to acess the server directory(to save file from backround job) inspite of having authorization.
    Please let me know if you need further inputs.
    Eagerly looking forward to your help.
    Best Regards,
    Apps

> When we tried to upgrade in test server, user is not able to acess the server directory(to save file from backround job) inspite of having authorization.
    Error message?
    Markus

• 785GM-E51 BIOS problem after upgrading to Windows 8

Randomly (it seems) I can't enter my BIOS or use the F11 key to choose the boot device when starting or restarting my 785GM-E51 based system - but only running Windows 8 or 8.1.
    Whenever I wipe Windows 8 off the drive and reinstall Windows 7 I have no problem ever, same when I used XP.  But When I upgrade to Windows 8 or 8.1, much of the time (but not always) I can't enter the BIOS, nor is there that message at the bottom of the screen when booting up that says to press esc to enter the BIOS or F11 to select the boot device.  This happens whenever I use Windows 8 or 8.1 as the operating system.
    I am currently running the latest BIOS, but this has happened with the 2 previous BIOS versions I reflashed as well.  Currently, the only way I can enter the BIOS is to reboot sometimes up to 10 times before I finally see that message at the bottom and then I can enter the BIOS, etc.
    How could the operating system have this effect on the BIOS? 
    (Currently I have flashing disabled and also I password protect the whole system with a BIOS password.)
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Hello again and thanks for your reply,
    If that 'Del or F11" message doesn't show up on the bottom line of the screen when restarting before the BIOS prompts me for my system password, you can't enter the BIOS at all, ever.  The MSI logo is disabled, but changing that doesn't do anything different either.  No matter how many times you press the Del key the BIOS often won't recognize it when the boot drive is Windows 8 or 8.1.  You have to reboot over and over (sometimes 10 or more times) until you see that message, then you know the BIOS will recognize the 'Del' key and you can go into the BIOS.  Interestingly, what sometimes works when this is happening, is to go into a Windows account, then restart or shutdown.  The next time you can usually (but not always) see that message and know you'll be able to enter the BIOS.
    I've taken out the memory for another issue, but that didn't change anything.  I've tried changing from my DVI monitor cable to VGA (also for something unrelated) and that didn't do anything either. I installed a new graphics card, instead of using the AMD onboard graphics, and that didn't change anything either.
    And to be clear, this only happens with Windows 8 or 8.1, not Window 7, XP, linux, etc.
    What I do now is I have 2 SSDs, one with Windows 7, the other with Windows 8.1.  You can always press 'Del' or 'F11' before the BIOS password prompt appears when the Windows 7 SSD is the boot drive (the only drive).  But when you use the Windows 8.1 drive to startup (again the only drive), you have this problem much of the time.  And this has been happening since I upgraded to Windows 8 when it was released 2 years ago (8/2012), even trying different revisions of the BIOS firmware (last update 2/2011).

• Problems downloading iTunes after upgrading to Windows 8.1

I just upgraded to WIndows 8.1. When I opened my iTunes it said there was an update was available. I tried to update my iTunes but kept getting errors. SO i decided to try and download the update later but when I tried to go to the iTunes store I got an error saying there was a problem accessing the iTunes store and then my iTunes closed. I looked at some of the comments in the community and tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Now when I try to download itunes I keep getting the following error:
    I am the only user of the computer and the only administrator. I tried downloading the installer and then right clicking on it and selecting 'run as administrator' and this also doesn't work.
    Please help
    Thanks

"The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files(x86)\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\sk.lproj\Printing Templates. The instillation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator."
    That one's consistent with disk/file damage. The first thing I'd try with that is running a disk check (chkdsk) over your C drive.
    XP instructions in the following document: How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
    Vista instructions in the following document: Check your hard disk for errors
    Windows 7 instructions in the following document: How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk)
    Windows 8 instructions in the following document: Disk Error Checking in Windows 8
    Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, or use chkdsk /r (depending on which way you decide to go about doing this). You'll almost certainly have to schedule the chkdsk to run on startup. The scan should take quite a while ... if it quits after a few minutes or seconds, something's interfering with the scan.
    Does the chkdsk find/repair any damage? If so, can you get an install to go through properly afterwards?

• Windows 7 In Place Upgrade Pre-Windows boot and Graphics issue Alienware M17x

So I'm having multiple issues here.  The first issue surfaced immediately after I removed and reinserted my graphics card.  For reference The computer in question is an Alienware M17XR3 with an AMD 6870m.  Anyhow, The issue I had then was
    that my built in display showed a black screen (would see a quick flicker of what was supposed to be on it when changing display settings but then a black screen) after Windows botted up.  I could use an external monitor with no problem, and safe mode
    or Windows without graphics drivers allowed everything to run normally.  The on screen display also works normally on boot screens or boot disks such as the windows install disk and Hyrens boot CD.  I am assuming my graphics card is shot.  Either
    that or my motherboard.  Input on this is greatly appreciated.  I do intend to upgrade it myself to a 6970m, but I won't have the money until another 1 or 2 paychecks roll around, and I woulld like to be able to use the on-screen display sooner than
    that.
    Anyhow, to ensure that it is a hardware issue, rather than a software issue, I cleaned old drivers then installed drivers I knew were fully functional.  I did this several times with several driver versions.  Nothing yielded any results.  I
    do not wish to do aclean install unless absolutely necessary or at least not until after the weekend, when I will have time to reinstall my 300+programs, games, themes, mods, etc.  I am not opposed to doing this but I need the computer tonight and
    do not have time to do all that before then.  I'll be using it with an external display tonight, so the graphics issue can wait, however, to test with a clean install, I was using Aomei Partition Assistant to break off some free space as a second partition
    on which I could install a second Windows 7 installation for testing purposes.  I have done this multiple times before.  Unfortunatly, on 4.5 hours of sleep and having been up for about 18 hours straight I wasn't thinking and forgot to plug my laptop
    in.  It lost power during the process and the Windows installation is now totally glitched.  I've tried several fixes all to no avail and would prefer to avoid a clean install until after the weekend.
    In Windows XP, I could boot from the install disk and perform a repair install, similar to the Windows 7 upgrade/in place upgrade.  I would like to do this, but seeing as I cannot access the Windows environment, I'm in a bit of a jam.  I could
    run that program again from mini Windows XP (Hyren's Boot CD) I believe and create the second partition and dual boot.  My question is, can I drop the new Windows folder over the old one or do something similar to avoid losing my programs and files?  Thanks

Hi,
    Based on my knowledge, we cannot just copy the windows folder to make programs work in the new operating system.
    Hope it helps.
    Regards,
    Blair Deng
    Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Boot Camp problems with Windows 7, and a new Macbook Pro

When I try to install Windows 7, when the process is almost complete and Windows is finalizing all settings, the system reboots then gets stuck at the white/gray bootscreen, and then tries to boot from disk, only to repeat the bootscreen cycle indefinitely. How do I fix this? Thank you very much.

My MAC BOOK is 13 inch, first generation of unibody that I bought when it first came out last November, 2009. It seems that the latest boot camp 3.1 does not support windows7 64 bits on my mac book model. I followed Apple instruction to upgrade boot camp 3.0 when running XP 32 bits. And I then upgrade my XP 32 bits to 64 bit Windows 7. The upgrade/installation was successful but I encountered a lot of problems with the mouse and sound.
    1. No sound with my new Windows 7 64 bits.
    2. I managed to make Windows 7 64 bit recognize my apple mighty mouse. But the mouse does not funtion normal as expected. It does not work with swiping and scrolling.
    3. I could not re-install boot camp 3.0 from windows.old nor from the Mac OS X installation disk. When I tried to run setup.exe from the MAC OS X snow leopard, I got the error "Boot camp x64 is unsupported for this model"
    I am really disappointed that boot camp 3.1 is not universally supported for all mac book or mac book pro.
    I need help to re-install boot camp for my Windows 7? I bought the upgrade through education upgrade program and I selected to get 64 bit version so I do not want to rollback the installation to 32 bit.
    Please help.

• A lot of problems after installing Windows XP using Boot Camp on a Mac Book

I have been having a lot of problems after installing Windows XP Home Edition (2002).
    For one, after installing Windows using Boot Camp with Mac OS X 10.5.1, I opened Windows on my Mac Book, inserted the Mac OS X Disk 1 as in the instructions and got the message: +"This package requires a newer version of the Windows installer. Do you want to update the version of the Windows Installer on your system?"+ When I clicked Yes (I had NO idea what it meant at the time), I got the message: "The required resource 'UPDATE' is missing" and the Installer quit.
    How do I fix this problem?
    Another problem I have is that there is no sound on the Windows XP, yet it works perfectly on Mac OS X. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    A third problem I have is that I can't wirelessly connect to the internet using Window XP, yet I can on Mac OS X. I have no idea on how to fix this, and it's really messing with me. D:<
    D: There are way too many problems, and I have a feeling there will be a lot more later on. Help....
    ~Twilight

---I'm moving this topic to the Boot Camp forums.
    -Twilight

• Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1

If you are experiencing problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1 please click on the below link and install the HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the utility to fix the issue.
    www.hp.com/go/tools.
    I was an HP employee
    If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved
    **Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**

Hi.....my laserjet 1536dnf mfp was working perfectly with win 8 pro....then I installed win 8.1 pro and now the computer ,which is part of a network,can not communicate with the scanner of the printer--it prints just fine. On another computer (running win 7 ) on the same network, the scanner and all other printer functions  work just fine.
          I have tried installing the latest drivers from HP......scanner still not "communicating" with computer.....also temporarily disabled firewall.....please help...all the best -David G (gossat)

• Wifi problem of G560 after upgrading to windows 8.1

Hi,
    I have a lenovo G560. After upgrading from windows 8 to windows 8.1, I cannot connect to wifi. I was wondering if someon else has the same problem.

hi amardoukhi,
    Welcome to the Forums.
    Your issue might be similar to this thread. Try the solution that was posted to rollback to an older driver version.
    The solution was to:
    1. Open Device Manager (press WInkey+R > type devmgmt.msc)
    2. On the Device Manager, navigate to Network Adapters > right click on the wireless adapter and choose Update Driver Software
       - Link to picture
    3. On the Driver Update Window, choose Browse my computer for driver software >  Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and choose the wireless card on the list.
       - Link to picture
       - Link to picture
       - Link to picture
    Regards
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• WiFi problem after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Lenovo R400 ThinkPad

I have this problem after updating to 8 to 8.1
    Right after updating to 8 to 8.1, all of a sudden my wifi stops working. I used my philips external wifi usb stick and now I'm able to get the internet going.
    However if I disconnect my philips usb I no longer get the internet because the built in wifi that came with the R400 ThinkPad no longer works. I went through the device manager and under properties it tells me, 'Device not working properly' however it is up to date.
    Im Running Windows 8.1  64bit  Laptop Lenovo R400 ThinkPad

Hi Matti,
    Thank you for replying back!
    I suggest you to reinstall the Windows 8.1, as all the windows driver will not update, if you have upgraded the Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.
    Please download Windows 8.1 separately and reinstall the OS, I hope this may resolve the issue.
    Note: I am not suggesting for clean installation, only reinstalling the same OS.
    Do not update the drivers from ThinkVantage system update utility. I suggest you to uninstall the current drivers and download the drivers manually for Windows 8.1 and install it.
    Below is the link to enter the downloads page and download updates accordingly, please click on "Select Product" then in "QUICK PATH" enter the MTM no. select the exact model.
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page#
    Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• Cannot install Boot Camp 3.2 upgrade for Windows 7 64 bit

I recently installed Windows 7 64 bit on my macbook. I also installed Boot Camp 3.0.1 after Windows 7 installation, however, WiFi did not work. Therefore, I needed to upgrade to the latest Boot Camp 3.2. However, when I tried to install Boot Camp 3.2 upgrade for Windows 7 74 bit, I got an error message saying that I needed Boot Camp 3.1 installed first. I CANNOT find Boot Camp 3.1 upgrade for Windows 7 64 bit on Apple website at all. Can someone please help me on this? Is there a way to get the complete Boot Camp 3.2 package that can simply be installed on version 3.0.1??

here is the link to bootcamp 3.1 for windows 7 64 bit http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1336 .. and no there is no package that can be applied to the windows side to go from 3.0.1 to 3.2

• ITunes 10.5 Upgrade fails to Install. The Error Message is: "There is a Problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

When Upgrading on my laptop from iTunes 10.2.11 to 10.5.0 the message I get is: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package.  Aprogram run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or pacakge vendor.

After reading all these posts, one by one did not resolve my problem until I got the very end.  Regardless of what step would resolve your problem, these are the steps I would recomment to everyone for a what seems to be a safe and fool-proof upgrade to iTunes 10.5.
    1. Stand alone upgrade to the latest Quicktime version
    2. Go to control panel and "change" then select repair to the following applications in the order specified by the post on Oct 27. (Notice I skipped Quicktime because it had been upgrade manually,and Bonjour did not have a "repair" option)
    iTunes; Apple Software Update: Mobile Device Support; Apple Applications Support
    Some of these applications may not appear if they do not apply to your configuration (no iPhone, or no iPad, or other apple devices).
    Once all updated, I did not need to restart nor launch any applications, I simply went straight into the 10.5 upgrade, and where it normally got stuck, this time the installation continued for a while longer until it completed successfully.
    Great work everyone who contributed!  Thank you very much!

Maybe you are looking for

• Posting period calculation

Hi all, I have time characterstics Posting period (0fiscper3).........and i have hierarchy on this.......FY QUATERLY......... Now my requirement is in report i need two cloumns one with PRESENT QUARTER and one with PREVIOUS QUARTER...........how to a

• Content of linked files in a inDesign-document refuses to update when edited.

The problem: I have a question about linked files in an inDesign-document. We have a indesign-file (indd) wich contains text, linked map-illustrations and ads. One of the linked maps gets changed by an external map-producer via an VPN-tunnel. He work

• Problem with my pc

I have three message stating my problems in pc.They are 1. A break point has been reached (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x100038a6 2.A Microsoft Jscript runtime error: 'parant.get(...)' is null or not an object 3. Visual c++ do

• How do I get the correct icons for Favorites?

How do I get the correct icons for Favorites on my iPad? I am using iOS 7.  The icons show up correctly in my bookmarks in Safari on my iMac OS X (10.8.5).

• I need help creating PDF files from Outlook .msg files.

I am trying to create a single PDF file from a group of Outlook .msg files. I need the attachments to be preserved and I am hoping that the individual .msg messages will be separated / bookmarked. I am trying to remove large quantities messages from