Boot usb dont work to recover dead bios on lenovo t500

cant recover my dead bios on t500.too bad im in zimbabwe there is no ibm lenovo companies for help.i jus get back to use my dinosaur desktop.

I'll start by asking if you get the Thinkpad image on the screen when you power on the system?
USB functions are provided by the BIOS, without a functional BIOS, there is no functional USB.   In the case of BIOS corruption where the machine becomes unusable there is little answer other then finding an Lenovo repair center.  However before I considered it dead I would try resetting the CMOS and see if that helps,  The HMM http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6630_04.pdf will show you how to take the unit apart to gain access to the battery, it is located under the keyboard.  Make sure you have the AC, and battery removed when you do this.  Best of luck, hopefully you don't have a completely dead system.
Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52

Similar Messages

• Help with broken? macbook. Boot commands dont work.

I have an old macbook that is from late 2008 and is kinda old. First time it did 3 beeps (ram error) So i exchanged the ram and now it starts. But i get stuck at greyscreen, and sometimes at a flashing folder with a Question mark.
    I did try to go through the community here but i cant use any of the commands people are recommending..
    Command + Alt + R dont work
    Alt during boot dont work.
    Command + alt wont work... No commands do anything except leaving a blank screen and a cursor.
    If i dont hold any keys during boot i eventually get the flashing questionmark folder.
    Any suggestions?
    Can i reinstall it from a USB and how do i do it if i cant use the bootup commands? :S
    (The keyboard seems to work so that cant be the issue)
    Thanks.

i dont know what the existing OS is.
    Cannot help with troubleshooting since you do not know which OS is installed on your comp.  If you purchased your MBP from a private party, ask them.  Better yet, did the previous owner provide you w/the DVDs that originally came w/the MBP?  If not, you purchased a glorified door stop.
    If none of the suggestions in the KB Article work out, take the MBP to your local AS or an AASP.
    There is nothing more for me to suggest until you determine which OS you are working with and you have possession of the system DVDs that originally came w/the MBP.

• Usb error message "USB over currnet notice" both usbs dont work.

Ive looked at many posts with my similar problem but nothing really answered it. I recently connected a digital camera with a usb cable. When I turned the camera on the error message came up that I "USB over current notice". I have a feeling that I might have burt the USB. Im not sure because i have been reading posts that say you can reset something, or might have to reinstall the operating system.
    I would also like to mention that both USB's dont work. I plugged the camera in the USB closer to the user. The usb towards the back does not work at all. The one closer to me does do something. When I plug my ipod into that usb, the computer doesnt recognize it, and the ipod doesnt recognize that i plugged it in either. But when I unplug it from the computer, the ipod lights up recognizing that I have unplugged it.
    It seems that it works very very little amount. Im thinking that I have a hardware problem. So does anyone know what it will cost, or what must be done to fix this problem. Not having a usb is not easy to live with.
    Also, the firewire, camera, mousepad, keyboard and all that stuff works.

hi there-
    the first thing i would try is resetting the macbook smc. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319 when you restart the computer, reset pram by holding apple-option-p-r until you hear two sets of startup chimes instead of the usual one. if this doesn't help and you need repair, it depends on the extent of the damage how much the repair will cost. if you phone Apple (1-800-275-2273) or take it to a store, they can give you estimates for different types of repairs, but of course no one can know precisely what parts are needed unless the computer is examined. best of luck. Sherry

• HP 500b MT USB dont work

Hi Guys
    I have a HP 500b MT that can´t run USB 2 ports. The keyboard is not working and the mause also. I tried ewery one of the ports but no response there. Windows runs to the log in screan but the keyboard and mause are not responding. The first HP logo and the setup F10 also nothing. By removing the batery and reset the Bios the same results. The PC was turned of by an electrical shoutdown and the extencion cord was burned down. I think the motherboard is death hmm maybe the CPU also. The other components are fine from that I can see. 
    If ther are any ideas I by thankful.
    Thanks Ervin

Legacy USB Support must be ENABLED (BIOS Setup) for USB Keyboard and Mouse operation.
    It is possible to have Power Supply Issue, and sometimes damage USB device (or blow on-board fuse).

• Can't creat a USB Flash key to recover my BIOS

Hi, i've been struggling for a week to make my Notebook back.
    From what I've read, I need to make a BIOS recovery from a USB, but I can't get to make this USB key. I'm using a Cruzer Force 32gb Sandisk Pendrive. But the Bios recovery software doesn't recognize it.
    I've already tried formatting the drive with FAT32 and rename it to HP_TOOLS. My laptop's recovery partition is missing.
    Does it have any limitations? I'm talking about drive size or something else.
    My warranty has already expired and I'd like to solve this myself.
    Thanks in advance for reading.

Hi @Facu8990 ,
    Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP Notebook and needing to create recovery usb drive. Here is a link to show you how.
    Microsoft only allows 1 copy or USB to be created.
    Do you receive an error message or number?
    Here is a link to create a USB flash drive.
    If all else fails then contact HP Support and Order the recovery disks. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here .
    Please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

• P55M GD45 experience; only 1.1 bios works, forum usb key boot didn't work, Win 7

My experience. Got board w/ 1.1 BIOS installed, installed Win 7 64-bit. Used LiveUpdate to flash BIOS to 1.5.
    Then box froze at "Starting Windows" screen. However it would boot ok to Safe Mode, and also Safe Mode with Networking. It wouldn't boot to Knoppix, Ubuntu LiveCD, ... (In Windows 7, I spent hours trying stuff, did boot logging, turned off startup services, piles of stuff, but didn't seem to be getting anywhere...)
    Tried using the Forum USB Key boot for BIOS flashing. Couldn't get it to boot, just got black blank screen with cursor. (Could this be because board doesn't support 98/ME?)
    Finally figured out the M-Flash option, and tried 1.4, which gave same results as 1.5. Then went back to 1.1 and that got my Win 7 booting again ok. Then tried 1.2 and that gave same result as 1.4/1.5 (screen freezing), so went back to 1.1.
    Later tested out HP USB key booter and that worked for me, though I didn't end up using it for anything, since I went with the M-Flash.
    I was hoping that this new board would help me have better eSATA (hot-swappable/recognizable), than my previous setup but it's actually worse. With my old setup, I could plug in an eSATA drive, then Add Hardware, and the drive would be recognized by Win (XP). With this new setup, eSATA drives only get recognized if I have them connected and on before I boot up my box. Not good. Also, the BIOS has a tendency to prioritize the eSATA's before the regular SATA's in boot order, which seems weird.
    Anyone else have any experiences like this? Any suggestions on moving towards a BIOS upgrade and more eSATA functionality (ideally without spending another 12 hours on it )
    Thanks for reading and in advance for any suggestions!!
    MSI P55M GD45
    i5-750
    2x2gb g.skills ddr3
    64GB SSD (Crucial)

I have exactly the same problem and a reinstallation won't solve anything !
    You will even not be able to finalize the installation !
    Freeze in Windows Seven after several minutes even after having cleared CMOS + loads of optimal mode or fail safe mode...
    Here is my computer:
    -MSI P55M-GD45
    -Intel CoreI5 750
    -Noctua NH-D14---> CPU @ 28°
    -2 X 1Go Crucial Balistix DDR3
    -2 X SAMSUNG SPINPOINT T166 - 500GO SATA II 7200TRS/MN 16MO (HD501LJ)
    -2 X Seagate 1.5 To 32 Mo 7200 tpm
    -2600XT fanless gigabyte
    -Corsair 520VX or HX I forgot it
    No problem with the last bios 1.1.
    !!!!! Totaly unstable with the last bios 1.5 !!!
    I read your solution about reinstalling the OS after a bios update (that's the first
    time that I read it and I owned something as 15 motherboards in the last 10 years...but
    you have 20k post so I think that you know what you write...)
    So I tried to REINSTALL after "upgrade" of the firmware 1.5 of the MSI P55M-GD45.
    I did it with a USB KEY....not [email protected] with defaults values !
    The only thing to do is downgrade the bios in 1.1 and now no problem @ 3.8 GHz !!!
    WHY IS THIS BIOS SO unstable ?
    What will MSI do ?
    I have never had a so unstable motherboard after a bios upgrade !

• Usb ports dont work

i was playing around in the library and in the applications and have deleted deleted for good some files....so now usb port dont work! what do i do? do i reset the whole operating system? please help! thanks

Hi, and welcome to Apple Discussions.
    You can find instructions on how to do an Archive and Install in the following Apple Knowledge Base article:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120
    Good luck.

• Adobe Flash Media Encoder dont work with Easycap usb video capture

Hy...
    I installing ADFME 3.2 but it dont work with Easycap usb video capture.
    The ADFME crash.
    Can you help me?
    tks
    Marco Aurelio

Hi Kyngg,
    Can you advise how you managed to resolve this problem?
    I'm having a very similar issue.
    Thanks,

• Mac partition dont work on my dual boot imac

Since some days my mac partition wont start up. The windows partition works fine. Recovery dont work. Not even in save mode. I have upgraded my mac to lion from the original snow leopard install. al worked fine until some days ago. No rinstall with the original disks or restore/repare. Starting up with the snow leopard dvd the screen shows disk utityties but selecting them takes forever. already tried diferent startup posibilities (puschin different keys) but nothing helps. I dont need to recover the old installation, i have everyting in backup, but want to reinstall at least my mac os. Anyone? I suspect a automated disk utility in windows to have damaged my mac partition. My Imac is 2 years old.
    Roger

It sounds like the TV you are plugging it into, can't handle the 1280x1024 resolution. You may just have to deal with the 1024x768 res.

• Can I recover my system by reinstalling Mountain Lion from boot USB on my failed Mavericks OS?

I have an iMac 8.1 with SSD and Mavericks installed.
    Upon startup I get the flashing folder with questions mark, that tells me that it cannot boot.
    I have a Mountain Lion boot USB, and with that I checked with Disk Utility if my disk can be repaired.
    After verifying the disk, it tells me everything is fine with the disk.
    So I guess the OS on the disk is damaged.
    Can I use the Mountain Lion boot USB and reinstall OS X, and thereby preserve my files (settings are not most important).
    I do have most of my data on an external HDD, but would have some valuable files the SSD (photos, documents and bookmarks).

Have you tried  booting while holding down the Option key?
    Startup Manager: How to select a startup volume

• Z77A-GD65 (mostly) unable to boot usb in legacy mode

So I already made a post about this issue over in the BIOS forum back when I assumed it was something to do with the forum flash tool, but upon closer examination I was able to replicate this problem with other bootable usb sticks when I attempted to boot them in legacy mode instead of UEFI mode (and while this is viable for the Windows 8 image usb it isn't for the flash tool since when I try to boot that drive in UEFI mode it hands off to the Windows bootloader).
    I am not sure where I'm going wrong here (or where to start) because this behavior doesn't seem entirely consistent and I haven't recognized any pattern in which it occurs. Basically whenever I try to boot a bootable usb device from the efi boot menu in legacy usb mode I'm presented with a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left corner. The inconsistency that I describe is that every so often the usb will actually boot, sometimes after only a few seconds of the blinking cursor, sometimes after leaving the screen up for an hour or so, and sometimes even if I leave the screen up overnight it still will not boot (this is what happens the majority of the time, regardless of the time interval).
    I've used the "fix my stick" option in the forum tool. I've used the HP utility. Since it can be replicated across multiple usb drives I am fairly certain it isn't a geometry issue and has got something to do with my bios settings or my usb controller itself (although the only other problem I've had regarding usb is my wifi adapter only working properly on a specific port and I believe that to be unrelated).
    Obviously something is amiss here. Any settings I should check out? I'm currently running no OC and I'm trying to recover my BIOS A after something went awry with the flash tool (long story as to why I was flashing in the first place, not really worth going through unless prompted...but this issue has been going on since at least early january).

I did have some issues with the ME fw at the beginning of January after a bad M-flash, but I thought I had recovered. After seeing someone with a similar problem (but with more symptoms of bad usb) had success with booting from usb after disabling the sata controller temporarily. So I've been doing that and it seems to work for now, even if it is kind of a roundabout way.

• Dead Bios Neo 875p

Hello!
    i have updated my 875p Board via Liveupdate 3 to bios revision 1.7. I tried the windows flashing utility for the first time.
    Now the Computer doesn´t boot or show something on the TFT Display.
    Than I tried to recover with the rescue floppy using str./pos1.
    The computer starts booting from the floppy and begins to flash. After a few seconds the computer boot 4 times like the flashing worked fine.
    But after rebooting an clearing the cmos, the computer behaves like told at the beginning.
    Is there any possibility to rescue the board without sending back to MSI or the distributor.
    Thanks for your help!!!!  

Which BIOS version did you have before flashing ?
    What type/make of memory are you using?
    It could be that the flash was successful but the default BIOS settings dont work with your current configuration ..I had this problem when flashing from the 1.2 BIOS > 1.4 BIOS (the DDR default voltage was lowered to 2.5v after BIOS 1.2), my CORSAIR PC3200 LL wont boot
    I had to install a single stick of crucial PC2700 to enable the comp to post, enter the BIOS and set the DDR voltage to 2.7v, shutdown reinstall the CORSAIR and finaly boot into windows  
    First thing i do after flashing (usualy get the f1 to set BIOS values after flashing) is to enter the BIOS and up the DDR voltage
    If you have another type of DDR memory to hand or you can borrow some try a single stick (so you can enter the BIOS and up the DDR voltage), otherwise you may have to try flashing back to your previous BIOS (with the recovery process) -never had to try this myself
    Good luck

• Satellite A500-1DN (PSAR3E) - Dead BIOS after flashing

Hi all.
    At first, sorry for my english.
    My problem is simple I have a dead bios after flashing from toshiba service station (or something like that).
    How does it happened? :4 days ago it was asking me for update. It was for me totaly normal because it is asking for some updates every day. I enablished that update and after some cliks on button next I noticed that it was BIOS update and it was nearly at half. I wanted to wait to end (because i know if I stop bios uptade I end up with dead bios(corrupted bios)) but it stoped nearly at end and it showed me some errors. After that my laptop made a restart and i could not stop it. It turned off.
    Now if i push power button i get black screen (like it is turned off) som leds lights and Cpu fan at 10% maybe.
    What i did 3 last days? : I searched all the interned about what to do with it. I tried maybe 10 types off crisdisks with usb and CD(with floppy not becose Bios for my laptop is too big for 1 floopy).
    I tried to boot with FN+B it worked for me CD drive started to search for CD, USB drive showed activity but to dead end happened nothing. I tried to make Boot usb with newer minidos.sys and phlash16.exe. I tried to combinate it but still nothing.
    I tried all what i found on forums everywhere on internet. nothing helped.
    Another thing is that only one bios i found was 1.90. If somebody has a older bios for my laptop pls give me link. I am losing hope becose i cant find anithing on google.
    I am a advenced user I did nearly everithing with pc but i never worked with dead bios.
    Pls help me somebody and give me a correct crisdisk for my model. Or different sugestion.

hi,
    sorry, mate but you should contact the Asp http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/ASP_SUPPORT/
    Unfortunately, the warranty doesn't cover bios failure and you will have to pay about 50-60 Us dollars (Anyway, it costs like this in my service center)

• [Solved] archiso UEFI boot doesn't work.

I just followed the instruction on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO, but it doesn't work as intended. It shows just 3 menu,
    Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI USB
    UEFI Shell x86_64 v1
    UEFI Shell x86_64 v2
    I thought, the first option is the way to go, but
    Error loading \arch\boot\x86_64\vmlinuz: Not found
    In fact, there is no \arch directory. The iso file downloaded was not broken, so I think something's missing either in the article or in the iso file.
    edit : I found that, the name of 'arch' directory was changed to something like "?????????". I don't know why, but when I changed it to "arch" again, it works like a charm.
    Last edited by kreoso (2012-11-01 16:54:57)

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I think there's some filename encoding issue because I wasn't able to rename ????????? to arch, instead I moved to arch2 then renamed arch2 to arch. Happy to say that worked for me too.
    I should add that the same USB stick worked first time with my laptop, it was only when trying to boot my desktop in the same way that I hit this issue, so it seems sensitive to BIOS manufacturer/version.
    Last edited by malcolmsparks (2012-11-04 19:46:32)

• Hard drive and usb not working

Greetings,
    My notebook is  cq60-214dx  compaq presario with a windows vista basic operating system. I have pentium dual core inside.
    Recently, My usb stop working, there is nothing else hooked up to it for the past year.  It is not detecting my flash drive.  I did the shut down and unplug thing.  I also did the F10 bios test and the hard drive test failed at  61%. I went into the usb root hub and it shows each one is fine and is at 0 mA.  The only thing that I see is the microsoft Isatap adapter code 31.  A toredo tunneling pseudo interface -code 10 with a caution sign. I 've tried the hp down load and all kind of suggestions that is not working.  Is there something I can try to fix the hard drive. I'd like to eventually go to windows 8 operatiing system but I am not fearful.

Hi newbie-515,
    Unfortunately, the failure code for the hard drive is fortelling you of what is to come. In my opinion I would address the solution by the following specific actions:
    1: Back up any data that can be accessed from the original drive, onto an external hard drive. To minimize the risk of losing any information.
    2: Replace the failing hard drive, before it gets to the point of complete failure. This may also prevent loss of personal data.
    and 3: Decide whether you want to upgrade/restore Microsoft Windows 7 onto the pc. That particular pc has current drivers available online at HP Support for the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system.
    Once this has been completed, then you can recover any personal data that was backed up to the external hard drive, onto the newly installed hard drive.
    ***In this forum support is available for HP hardware/software assistance. I will provide best-effort support with your HP hardware/software. If you need assistance with software that is from any other vendor, then I may re-direct you to the appropriate reference at that time.
    -------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem. Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Maybe you are looking for