Can I put a 500 gb hdd in a T61

I have a T61 running XP PRO with a 100 gb hdd. Can I replace that with a 500 gb hdd. BIOS shows the correct drive model. When I boot off a Windows cd, the drive is visable. When I boot off a Ghost cd, I can copy an image to the drive, but the drive won't boot. I've tried Windows repair and chkdsk.

kprice, welcome to the forum,
hopefully you'll find your solution in this thread and the threads linked to from it. Capturing the boot sectors using the -ib switch is critical.
Hope this helps
Andy  ______________________________________
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
  Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
PepperonI blog 

Similar Messages

• Can i put a 750GB seagate HDD in my Macbook Pro?

I want to upgrade my stock 320GB drive in my Mcbook Pro 2.3 GHz i5

No, you can put up to a 1 terabyte drive in your MBP. RAM is a different sory - whichever MBP you have, there's a limit to how much RAM you can install - and you must install the RAM with the right specifications for your particular model.
    Clinton

• Can I put this hdd in my mac?

Can I put a sata 3 hdd in my macbook 2010?

Thanks another unrealted question: The HDD is 1tb 2.5 sata III; What does the 2.5 stands for?

• Can i put in second HDD into Satellite A300-1EG

Hello,
    The question is can i put in second HDD to Toshiba A300-1EG notebook, there is a place for one as I found, and what HDD should it be, i mean 2,5" and etc?
    As I read, there can be no connection for HDD, all depends on model, how can I found out?
    Thanks.

Hi
    You can check this yourself.
    Remove the plastic cover which secures the second HDD bay.
    If there are some HDD connectors then you could install an second HDD.
    If the connectors are missing, then you will not be able to use second HDD.
    I know its a little but confusing because of the second HDD bay but the point is that different A300 models supports different motherboards and not all motherboards are equipped with two HDD controllers.
    Greets

• What 1TB HDD can i put in Macbook Pro 3.1 A1226

Hi
    I want to replace my HDD in my Old Macbook Pro 3.1 A1226 - I have done this before , so that no worries
    However Just need to know which HDD is Compatible , I am looking for a 1tb HDD, Not SSD as to expensive for that size .
    Maybe the new HGST 1TB  " http://www.hgst.com/travelstar-7k1000 " or something Similar
    Will this one work - it's the correct size 2.5" 9.5mm thick but I do not Know about the SATA I , II, III - Mine is I believe Sata I , 1.5GBs link speed
    So question is Can i put different SATA versions in are they all Backward Compatiable , would they just run on a Slower speed ??
    Can someone recommend best Drive for my Computer
    Thanks All in Advanced
    Mark

There are only three major drive manufacturers left standing. You choices at that 1TB size in laptop form factor are few.
    HGST stands for Hitachi Global Storage Technology, same as Hitachi, which bought IBM's drive business and the Deskstar and Travelstar brands years ago
    WD is its own company,
    I think Toshiba's drive operations disappeared into Seagate.
    Would you be better off dividing your files into two groups -- those that you need to be portable, and those that could be on an external drive on your desk?

• Satellite A50 - Can I put in another HDD?

I have Toshiba Satellite A50-110. My hard disk is broken.
    Can I put HDD 2.5" PATA 0160 GB WD Scorpio Blue, 5400rpm, 8MB, WD1600BEVE instead old one?

Hello
    First of all you need a need a 2.5 notebook HDD with PATA or lets say IDE interface. If I understand your posting correctly you want to use a 160GB model.
    As far as I know Satellite A50 has a 28bit LBA limitation. That means you can only use HDDs up to 120GB.
    So you should check the HDD controller which LBA limitation it has.
    Is 120GB HDD enough for you?
    Greets

• I can't put my documents on my WD Passport (HDD)

Since I bought my Imac (late 2011) I can't put documents (made in Word for Mac) on my external Harddrive! I can open al the documents on the HDD, but can't put documents from my Imac to the HDD.
    Is ther someone who can help me with this problem?
    Thanks!

Sounds to me that the external harddisk is using the NTFS file system which OSX can only read but not write (and thus not delete).
    Check with Disk Utility in OSX if it is so.
    For full read and write access on a NTFS-harddisk you need a third-party helper like the free NTFS-3G or Fuse4X or the commercial Paragaon or Tuxera NTFS for Mac.
    Stefan

• Can i clone my macbook air HDD into an SSD and then install that on a macbook pro??

i Have a macbook air 2013 with mavericks and my brother has a 2012 macbook pro with yosemite, i want to keep mavericks, can i clone my air's HDD into an SSD and install that SSD into the pro??

Yes, although your MBA does not have an HDD. It has an SSD. Just put the new SSD into a dock or enclosure, clone your drive to it, then install the new SSD into the MBP.
    Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility
    Boot to the Recovery HD:
    Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.
         1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue
             button.
         2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
         3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
         4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it
             to the Destination entry field.
         5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to
             the Source entry field.
         6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.
    Destination means the external SSD. Source means the internal startup drive.

• I am new with iMac and I am trying to copy some file from my external HDD but it does not let me also I can't delete anything from this HDD using the finder. Can somebody help me , please?

I am new with iMac and I am trying to copy some file from my external HDD that a used with my PC but it does not let me also I can't delete anything from this HDD using the finder. Can somebody help me , please?

No, unfortunately, when you format a drive, it will erase all the contents. So you will need to find a temporary "storage" place to put the stuff using a PC so you have access to it. Then reformat using Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities). If only using with mac, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use GUID Partition scheme under Partitions/Options. After formatting, you can drag the files back.

• Can't boot Arch from external HDD

Hi, well first off this is not my first Arch Linux installation, I'm using Arch for a little over a year now (coming from slack). But this is my first attempt to have Arch on an external HDD.
    Alrighty, the situation is as follows: A rather new computer (supports booting from USB devices and the bios is set to boot from removable devices first) with a built in HDD and an external HDD that's connected to that computer via USB.
    What I did: I connected the external HDD to the computer and booted off a 2008.6 Overlord core-CD.
    Arch-Live recognized the internal HDD as sda and the external HDD as sdb.
    I partitioned the external HDD using cfdisk and ran mkfs.ext3 on it (I didn't use any switches with that).
    I started the installer, set my mount points (I should mention I'm not gonna use a swap partition here), installed the packages, well just went through the installation routine and installed grub in the MBR of sdb (the external HDD).
    Then I rebooted. And this is what doesn't work: When I boot that computer with the external HDD connected the computer completely hangs right before grub would come up. It freezes completely, ctrl+alt+del doesn't work, I need to use the powerswitch to reboot the computer.
    So I put the Arch-CD back in the CD drive trying to boot into my Arch System on the external HDD. So I started typing:
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1 ro vga=773
    initrd /boot/kernel26.img
    When I try to boot off that grub tells me that there is no such device as hd1,0. The funny thing is, that the auto copmletion in grub works for the kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 but it doesn't for the device /dev/sdb1, in fact even root=/de<tab> returns a "unrecognized string" message.
    So this is what I did and I can't boot off my external HDD, neither can I boot into my system on the external hdd from the cdrom.
    What am I missing here?

The harddrive you boot from is in my experience always hd0. Could this mean your external disc is hd2?
    Have you tried chainloading from the installer cd to your external disc?

• Can I install a 2gb Sata3 HDD in my IMac G5 20" ALS?

I currently have a WD 2gb Sata2 HDD drive in my machine which is probably going to crash soon due to a node error I get when running disc verify in disk utility. The machine was running very slow recently which prompted the verify disc. I have 2gb of RAM running also.
    The local shops only seem to sell Sata3. Can I install this drive or do I have to source a Sata2?
    Many thanks
    Mdn

Node issues can be fixed with booting from the 10.5 retail installer and running Disk Utility from the installer's Utilities menu to Repair Disk.  If that can't repair it, backup your data, and purchase Alsoft Disk Warrior.   If that can't repair it, yes replace the hard drive.   Faster SATA hard drives can be put in, if they either have a jumper than slows to 1.5 Gbps, or are designed to automatically downstep to that speed.  Check with the manufacturer if that's a possibility for the model you are looking for.

• Can I install a new internal HDD and reboot from time machine?

I'm away from home at the moment and my internal HDD has failed and I am putting in a new HDD I have the time machine backup on a external HDD but no OSX disks with me can I re boot OS from my time machine backup?

Allan Eckert wrote:
    The only time the system on the DVD matters, is when you install from the DVD.
    One exception:  If you do a full system restore from a Snow Leopard backup using a Leopard Install disk, your Mac either won't start up or will kernel panic.   See #E8 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

• Can I put a 2nd hard drive in my Satellite P875-S7200 laptop??

There appears to be a space underneath for another one so I have to ask. Can I put another hard drive in this laptop or not? I'm not going to buy another hard drive for this thing if I can't.
    Please see the attached photo.
    Thank you.
    Attachments:
    photo2.JPG ‏682 KB

There are a couple of ways to run DISKPART.  The most common method is probably from within the CMD console:
    Start Menu, enter cmd in the search field, and then click on the CMD icon in the search result section.
    Once the CMD console window launches, enter  diskpart
    Or you can access DISKPART directly from the "run" dialog:
    <win>r    (then in the "run" dialog field,) enter   diskpart
    Here's a screencap of the DISKPART Clean command.  I inserted one of my Flash sticks (disk 3) and ran the Clean command on it.
    The system info is in green color.  My input commands are in blue.
    Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: JEFF-PC
    DISKPART> list disk
      Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      Disk 0    Online          931 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online          465 GB      0 B
      Disk 2    Online          465 GB   100 MB
      Disk 3    Online           14 GB      0 B
    DISKPART> select disk 3
    Disk 3 is now the selected disk.
    DISKPART> list disk
      Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      Disk 0    Online          931 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online          465 GB      0 B
      Disk 2    Online          465 GB   100 MB
    * Disk 3    Online           14 GB      0 B
    DISKPART> clean
    DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.
    DISKPART>
    That's it.  I always repeat the "list disk" command after selecting the desired disk to eliminate user error (accidentally wiping the wrong HDD).  The * symbol tells the user which disk is in focus, or which disk the system has selected for the user commands to be performed on the disk.
    The Clean command usually takes only a few seconds to complete.
    After running the Clean command, the HDD or Flash Stick will then appear as "unallocated" in the Disk Management Console window.  I always do this before Cloning with my Acronis boot disc since Acronis will automatically select the unallocated HDD as the "Target" HDD.  It also eliminates any question when selecting the Source HDD since the Target HDD will appear in Acronis (and any other Cloning/Imaging prep dialog screens) as containing no data. 
    Another way to be safe in DISKPART and assure that the desired disk is the one that you want to clean, is to launch Disk Management in Windows  at the same time that DISKPART is launched, using <win>r  diskmgmt.msc
    The PC's disks will be numbered the same as in DISKPART.  For example, "disk 0" is my OS and "C" HDD, etc.
    Wish I could help with your Driver issues.  That's an area of PC's where I'm a rookie

• Is there a max number of names that can be put into Contacts

is there a max number of names that can be put into Contacts and still have the app work well?

Yes, there is. It's how many contacts your hard drive can take. So you can fill up the entire computer with nothing but contacts until your HDD/Flash has no space left. So if you have 250GB, it'd be less than if you had 500GB and you'd have more on 750GB.

• Can't establish connection to my hdd plugged to wi-fi router!

Can't establish connection to my hdd plugged to wi-fi router!
    On Snow Leopard i solved this problem with nsmb.conf file in /etc directory.
    i put this into conf file:
    [default]
    minauth=none
    Now in Lion it doesn't work at all
    i have ASUS wi-fi router with usb plugged hdd... i can see hdd in my "shared network" listbut when i trying to read files on that hdd it shows error "Vesion of server to which you're trying to connect is not supported"
    how can i solve this problem?!

There were some bugs in some versions of Samba that caused this.
    Have you checked to see whether there's an updated version of firmware available for your ASUS router?

Maybe you are looking for