Coffee spilled underneath ThinkPad T420

Today I managed to tip over a cup of (lightly sugared) coffee on the table where my ThinkPad T420 was running.  Fortunately it was at sufficient distance that it didn't tip into the laptop, but the liquid spill went underneath.
I quickly removed it from the spill, disconnected power and turned off, and attempted to clean up what I could.  Unfortunately in handling the laptop I didn't keep it upright the whole time, so there was some spread of liquid across the bottom of the machine, albeit not a large amount.
So far as I can see, the major risks to the machine have been that:
Liquid may have leaked into the fan vents on the bottom of the machine;
There seems to have been some leakage into the cracks around the battery; although I removed the battery and cleaned up what I could, I imagine there may still be residue in various crevices
There may have been some leakage into things on the side of the machine, such as the SD card reader
Having left it standing for some time (correct way up so liquid would not propagate further into the system), with the battery removed, I decided to risk turning it back on with battery only just to make a backup of files and type this message.  There's no obvious problem, but I'm going to turn the system back off again immediately after finishing typing. ;-)
I'd appreciate advice on the general risk to the machine here and how I should proceed with getting it cleaned up beyond what I've already done.  I imagine the interior is fairly well guarded against liquid entering whether from top or bottom, but I can imagine there might be some corrosion risk from coffee/sugar getting into the ventilation system.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Solved!
Go to Solution.

if you are worried about spillage and seepage into the laptop, then i would recommend you dismantle the laptop, and give everything a good clean to make sure no stray liquid got onto the laptop. This will prevent future headaches (if you intend to keep the machine for a while).
Once you have the motherboard by itself, you can see whether any traces of your coffee got onto the laptop and see whether the laptop casing has traces. You can clean the liquid residues off using all good PCB board cleaning fluids.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76853
Regards,
Jin Li
May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Similar Messages

• Yoga coffee spill

Hi, I spilled coffee on my Yoga laptop. at first it was still functioning, but today it did not turn on anymore, the entire computer seems to be dead. Can I do anything until I get back to Microsoft for a cleaning? How long does this normally take?
    Thanks, Adam

Hi Kaymaan,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community!
    As per your query we understood that you are facing the issue with no power on ThinkPad Yoga.
    The coffee spill seems to be between the foils in the keyboard and cannot evaporate. Sometimes the liquid can short Mother Board; sometimes it can insulate the keyboard contacts.  Isopropanol suppresses the liquid content and evaporates faster but cannot help to solve any "liquid-problems" of keyboards. 
    I strongly suggest you to visit nearby Lenovo authorized service center for further assistance on the issue, as it is a hardware issue in your case. However you can check with some troubleshooting like, remove battery and try to switch ON the system through power adapter.
    Remove both battery and power adapter and hold the power button for 30 sec, and then connect only power adapter and check it.
    If the issue still persists then there is no other option, except visiting service center.
    Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number of your region. I’m sure they will be a great help.
    Hope this helps. 
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• I have a Macbook Air that had some coffee spilled on the keyboard and as a result the plus/equals key is no longer functioning. Can I use a program like Ukelele to reprogram a different key to be my plus/equals key? Can I program a function key? key

I have a Macbook Air that had some coffee spilled on the keyboard and as a result the plus/equals key is no longer functioning. Can I use a program like Ukelele to re-program another key to do that function? Can I re-program a function key to do this function?

Water + electronics do not mix.  Something was damaged insode, and the logic board may be corroding as is.
    Take it to a Genius Bar for an evaluation and repair estimate.
    This is accidental damage and not covered by warranty.

• Thinkpad T420 with Optimus: Card is turning on at random

Hey yall,
    I'm using bumblebeed on my Thinkpad T420 and upgraded to bbswitch for power management. The discrete card still shows up in lspci when it's 'turned off" but power consumption goes down and bumblebee says its off, so I figure that's the best I'm gonna get.
    Weird thing is, it keeps turning itself on for no good reason. I manually switch the daemon on and off, which I thought was completely controlling all software interface with the card. Apparently ACPI is turning the card on for some reason, and I don't want it to. The only reason I noticed is because I was watching the logs to figure out unrelated ACPI behavior. Pasted below is when I unplugged the laptop and plugged it back in a couple times to see what happened. About a minute later, ACPI wakes up the card. The stuff after that is me running a script that cycles the daemon, which is the most consistent way I have to disable the card manually. I think I pressed a laptop button in there somewhere too.
    Does anyone know why ACPI might be waking up the card at random, and how to get it to stop? I have a feeling it's eating away at my battery without my knowledge by turning itself on when I'm on the road.
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost josh: ACPI action undefined: PNP0C0A:00
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost laptop-mode: Laptop mode
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost laptop-mode: enabled,
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost laptop-mode: not active [unchanged]
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost josh: ACPI action undefined: PNP0C0A:00
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost laptop-mode: Laptop mode
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost laptop-mode: enabled,
    Apr 1 03:54:11 localhost laptop-mode: not active [unchanged]
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975286] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975304] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975308] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975313] thinkpad_acpi: EC reports that Thermal Table has changed
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975316] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975329] vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=none,decodes=none:owns=none
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost kernel: [43515.975477] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 295.33 Sat Mar 17 14:55:45 PDT 2012
    Apr 1 03:55:01 localhost josh: ACPI group/action undefined: ibm/hotkey / LEN0068:00
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost bumblebeed[13836]: /usr/sbin/bumblebeed 3.0 started
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost kernel: [43553.070886] bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost kernel: [43553.083249] pci 0000:01:00.0: Refused to change power state, currently in D0
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost kernel: [43553.083871] thinkpad_acpi: EC reports that Thermal Table has changed
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost josh: ACPI group/action undefined: ibm/hotkey / LEN0068:00
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost bumblebeed[13839]: Received Terminated signal.
    Apr 1 03:55:38 localhost kernel: [43553.091937] pci 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D3

Ok, so, apparently it is turning itself on when I'm using Flash. I am scratching my head. My browser should have no idea that card exists, because I use optirun to select things to run in that layer. And the bumblebee daemon is off. This seems like a security issue! I'm only able to control the card with root privileges; how on earth is Flash getting around that?
    Any ideas are welcome, this is a little over my head. I don't understand ACPI in any intimate way.

• Thinkpad T420, Integrated Graphics, Dual Monitors

Warning: this isn't really a problem thread. I've looked and looked but can't find a definitive answer for my question.
    I'm seriously considering a Thinkpad T420 for a new work laptop. I've heard great things from many people, but the most important question has yet to be answered: if I get one with integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000), will dual monitors work with VGA and DisplayPort with a DVI adapter? It's crucial that I'm able to use two external monitors simultaneously and I'm sick of using TwinView because I can't rotate a monitor. Can anyone confirm that this works?

according to tabook.pdf
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 in processor,
    external analog monitor support via VGA DB-15 connector and
    digital monitor support via DisplayPort (supports single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915);
    supports dual independent display;
    Maximum external resolution: 2560x1600 (DisplayPort)@60Hz;
    2048x1536 (VGA)@75Hz; 1920x1200@60Hz (single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915)
    So, it looks like the hardware is certainly capable of it.

• My thinkpad t420s doesn't last 2 hours

hardware and software:
    * thinkpad t420s, brand new with standard battery
    * CPU: i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 4 cores. frequency scaling is enabled, they all usually run at 800MHz (ondemand governor)
    * intel SSD, no HDD
    * wifi: iwlwifi: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 AGN, REV=0xB0
    * thinkfan is installed, but couldn't get it configured properly. TODO
    * kernel args
    [dieter@dieter-t420s ~]$ cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/cryptpool-root ro root=/dev/mapper/cryptpool-root cryptdevice=/dev/sda3:sda3crypt:allow-discards ro add_efi_memmap i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force quiet quiet add_efi_memmap
    bios options:
    * graphics is set to optimus (though i don't have bumblebee/optimus enabled right now, I haven't needed to attach an external display). TODO  force "built-in GPU" in bios, maybe that helps.
    * intel speedstep set to optimal battery usage when not on AC
    * adaptive thermal management set to "balanced" (it's that or performance)
    * cpu power management enabled
    * pci-e power management enabled
    test:with some basic usage (say 40 min of browsing over wifi and watching some vids, and the rest idle) it doesn't last 2 hours. (about 1h50min)
    although I think I have all the most important things taken care of, I'll also have a look at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134109 and maybe laptop mode tools (I did look at it, but as i don't have a HDD and i have frequency scaling already enabled...)
    I'll also need to try some power diagnostic tools like powertop or whatever it was.
    any more tips? this is kindof disappointing, I was expecting 4-5-6 hours.. thanks!
    Last edited by Dieter@be (2012-05-22 08:54:48)

Dieter@be wrote:
    jdahm wrote:
    I have a T420 (didn't want to bother with the dedicated GPU) and get 6+ hours.  I followed the steps on 'Laptop' on the wiki, installed tp_smapi, thinkfan, granola, etc.
    i also had trouble getting thinkfan to work.  The trick I found with it is to stop the daemon and launch it manually (with the -n flag, as shown in the rc.d daemon script) to see what it complains about.  After a few iterations to thinkfan.conf the daemon seemed to start without problem.  This thread (found on the thinkwiki AUR page) helped me the most: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1749186&page=1.
    thanks, so what's your thinkfan config?
    Here it is.  Hope this is helpful.  You'll probably need to run that find command and replace the four lines which start with "sensor".
    ## Notes:
    # sources:
    # + [url]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1749186&page=1[/url]
    # Use this command to find devices:
    # find /sys/devices -type f -name "temp*_input"
    # Specify the fan to use
    fan /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
    # Sensors
    sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp1_input
    sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input
    sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
    sensor /sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input
    #(0, 0, 55)
    #(1, 48, 60)
    #(2, 50, 61)
    #(3, 52, 63)
    #(4, 56, 65)
    #(5, 59, 66)
    #(7, 63, 32767)
    # More conservative settings
    (0, 0, 35)
    (1, 33, 38)
    (2, 36, 45)
    (3, 39, 49)
    (4, 46, 58)
    (5, 50, 62)
    (7, 56, 32767)
    Last edited by jdahm (2012-05-24 01:29:35)

• Macbook pro had coffee spilled on it 2 weeks ago, all works fine except monitor display.

Macbook pro had coffee spilled on it two weeks ago; all working fine now except for the monitor, display is dim and photos not appearing properly. Any suggestions? Apple said would cost too much to repair, anyone had any luck with outside repair facilities? thanks.

I would check with HP. Your scanner may need a firmware update and updated HP software. Start here:
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-search/search-results.html?qt=LaserJet+m1217nfw+MFP& cc=us&lang=en&charset=utf-8&qp=&hpn=&hpa=&hps=&hpr=&cat=&current_url=CSSres
    then here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw _lang=&product=4075472

• Coffee spill and power book

could you please advise where to go to clean my powerbook after coffee spill on the keyboard, in sf bay area. do apple stores offer this kind of service, please?

Hi Yelena,
    Do you have a titanium or aluminium powerbook? ( See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88248 to how to identify your Powerbook)
    Cleaning the keyboard is unlikely to help very much. It may need to be replaced. There's also a risk that the coffee will have got inside the Powerbook, in which case you may need other components replaced.
    If you have a titanium powerbook, replacing the keyboard will be easy and fairly inexpensive, however there's a much greater chance the coffee has got inside the machine. If you have an aluminum one, replacement will be a lot more time consuming and expensive, but there's a much smaller chance of coffee getting inside the machine.
    As far as actual locations in the bay area to get this done, I can't help with that.

• Keyboard creating loud fan noise after coffee spill

After a coffee spill my keyboard has been creating my fans to run very loudly.  The temp. is still pretty normal at 40C.  When I have the computer on and disconnect the keyboard, the fans return to normal.  I've tried cleaning everything inside and removing the fans and putting them back in.  Is there anything else I can do?  Thank you.

Go to the Apple Store after you have made an appointment with the Genius bar.  Liquids are the kiss of death to keyboards.  Sorry to give the bad news.
    Ciao.

• After coffee spill - can't find hard disk - passes other tests

after coffee spill - can't find hard disk

hi,
    this is considered as Liquid spilt on the NB.
    most likely not covered under the warranty.
    please check if you have accidental damage warranty on the NB.
    to confirm the Hard Drive is functioning follow the below steps
    Shutdown the NB
    press power button and keep tapping "F10" as soon as the power light comes on
    it will take you to the Blue color screen where you cna see system setup
    look for "Diagnostic" option and Press right arrow key to select it
    you'll find Primary Hard Disk self test - press enter to run it
    you will come to know if the Hard drive is functioning
    Safety Note - Do not try to take out any internal parts other than battery and adapter

• Keyboard coffee spill resulting in strange mouse behaviour

Following a coffee spill on her bluetooth keyboard (which presumably resulted in panic and manic button-pressing) when my mother clicks on an item in the dock, the menu appears - as if she had ctrl-clicked.
    Is this just some hard-to-budge coffee on one of the control key contacts or is this behaviour the result of some universal access setting or something that she has activated when panicking over the spilled coffee?
    When clicking on an item on the desktop for example, the context menu doesn't appear then - implying that it's not coffee stuck on the contact (which would cause all mouse activity to appear as if a ctrl-click presumably.
    Any tips for extracting coffee from Apple bluetooth keyboards also appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    G4 iMac USB 2.0 / G4 iBook   Mac OS X (10.4.4)  

A user here did this once.
    I took the keyboard apart to get it cleaned out.
    Letting coffee dry in there is not the Suufi way, (From the movie "Romancing the Stone").
    Anyway, washed it out in the sink and let it dry overnight, Put it back together and it worked fine.
    The problem with letting it dry as it is: the coffee will take a month to completely dry and if there's sugar, there's the stickyness. Save the headach and take it apart, clean it up or just throw it away.

• IMac sees the iPod but iPod does not start up. It had coffee spilled on it

My iPod had coffee spilled on it and it was not discovered for a bit. I dried it in rice and now the iMac sees it but it will not turn on. I did try to turn it on when I found it and I know now that I should not have. What parts may be bad in it now? should I try replacing anything in it or what? any advice is appreceated

Hey mjrussell,
    When liquid comes to liquid being spilled on a iPod, you never know how bad it will be. Your best bet if you want to get it fixed is to set it for serviced through Apple. Take a look at the articles below for more information. The second article will also have pricing for your iPod nano. 
    iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3302
    Service Answer Center – iPod
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipod
    Take care,
    -Norm G. 

• My newish MacBook Air was just lost to a coffee spill, and I need to migrate back to my MacBook Pro using a recent back-up (Time Machine to external disk).  Can I do this?

My newish MacBook Air was just lost to a coffee spill, and I need to migrate back to my MacBook Pro using a recent back-up (Time Machine to external disk) for a few weeks.  This same disk was used to back-up the Pro earlier, and to migrate from the Pro to the Air.  Can I do this "back-migration" from the Air to the Pro?  Is it maybe better just to migrate the specific folders (Outlook email, Office docs) I am sure I need?

Do not attempt to copy files/folders from a Time Machine backup. Only use the Time Machine application to restore from the backup.
    Click on a Finder window and select Help from the Finder's Help menu. Search for "restore" and select "restore items backed up with time machine" from the hints list. You will find these two articles:
    Recover items using Time Machine and Spotlight
    If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can use Time Machine with Spotlight to recover lost or deleted items.
    Note: You can retrieve earlier versions of TextEdit documents from within TextEdit. For more information, see: 
    View and restore past versions of documents
    Open a Finder window and type a search word or phrase in the search field in the upper-right corner.
    Select a location to search in the location bar.
    Refine the results by specifying search criteria. Narrow down Spotlight search results
    Open the Time Machine menu in the menu bar, then choose Enter Time Machine.
    Use the arrows and timeline to browse the Time Machine backups. Your search is performed in every window.
    When you find the item you want to restore, select it, then click Restore.
    The restored item is returned to its original location. For example, if the item was found in the Documents folder, it’s returned to the Documents folder.
    Restore items backed up with Time Machine
    If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can easily bring back lost items or recover older versions of files.
    You can use Time Machine within many apps. If the iCloud Documents & Data feature is turned on, you can recover older versions of iCloud documents as well as regular documents.
    Open a window for the item you want to restore.For example, if you accidentally deleted a file from your Documents folder, open the Documents folder. To recover an email message, open your inbox in Mail. To recover an iCloud document, open the document’s app, choose File > Open, then click iCloud to view the iCloud documents for that app.If you’re missing an item from the desktop, you don’t need to open a window.
    From the Time Machine menu in the menu bar, choose Enter Time Machine. A message may appear while your Mac connects to the backup disk.
    Use the arrows and timeline to browse the snapshots and backups.White tick marks represent snapshots stored on your internal drive (portable computers only). Pink tick marks represent backups stored on your backup disk. If a tick mark appears dimmed or grayed, there’s no backup available or the backup disk is not connected.
    For more information about an item, double-click it.The windows in Time Machine behave just like Finder windows, so you can open folders, click items in the sidebar, and use the search field in the upper-right corner of the window.
    When you find the item you want to restore, select it, then click Restore. You can restore individual items, multiple items, folders, or your entire hard disk.The restored item is returned to its original location. For example, if the item was found in the Documents folder, it is returned to the Documents folder.

• How to make Windows 7 Clean Installation with the Rapid Boot extreme feature on ThinkPad T420s

How to make Windows 7 Clean Installation with the Rapid Boot extreme feature on ThinkPad T420s

@Bennycui,
    Clean install here
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-77353
    Then install RapidBoot
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-77013
    //JameZ
    Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
    X240 | 8GB RAM | 512GB Samsung SSD

• Does Thinkpad T420 with Windows 7 home Premium support Windows 10 update

Does the Thinkpad T420 running windows 7 Home Premium support the windows 10 upgrade? Also, my machine is very slow to start (3- 4 minutes). Will the upgrade to windows 10 help this issue?

The T420 is not supported by Lenovo for Win 10. That doesn't mean that it would not mostly work, but it does mean that you will certainly have some 'adventures, along the way, and may find that some things just don't work with Win 10 - whether those things are important few you will depend very much on how you use your T 420.

Maybe you are looking for