Correct procedure to update Embedded Controller Programme - T43

Dear Forum,
Could somebody please describe the best way to safely update 'Embedded Controller Programme' in a T43?
- The computer is a Thinkpad T43 1871 PM1 machine
- BIOS Version is 1.29
- Embedded Controller Version is 1.03
- Apparently this is the correct current Embedded Controller Version http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-59439
- Should I boot the machine into safe mode rather than regular startup?
- Should I deactivate my firewall (PCTools), my anti-virus (Avast) and Malwarebytes from running at startup before I shut my machine down?
- Are there any other specific programmes I need to shut down? (eg. IBM Access or any of the IBM updates?)
- Does the controller update require internet access? Or should I also disconnect the computer from the web?
Thank you!! :-)
Harryredknapp

Hi Harry,
There is no need to boot the machine in Safe Mode, and yes it would be good idea to deactivate your firewall and antivirus products for the time being while the controller program is being updated.
When I run BIOS update, I don't turn off any Thinkvantage tools so in my experience they don't interfere with the update process, and as far as I know the controller program doesn't require internet access (if you're doing manual update from the setup saved on your thinkpad).
Hope it helps.
Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
IdeaPad: U350
Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
  Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Similar Messages

• Correct procedure to update IOS IPS signatures on 2911 router

What is the correct procedure to update the IOS IPS signatures on an 2911 router?
    I know how to download the signatures file (eg. IOS-S556-CLI.pkg) but what is the correct way to install the update?
    Thank you in advance!

The IPS signature package comes with a list of pre-enabled signatures, hence Cisco does not recommend enabling a lot more other signatures, especially not every single signature as documented.
    The reason why is because the package might include retired/old signatures only for references, and not every single signature is required to protect your environment because you might not have the traffic for some signatures, you might not have some end hosts that are written with specific signatures, therefore, it becomes irrelevant if you enable it.
    Typically here is how customer would enable/disable signatures:
    - Use the default signature that is enabled by Cisco (the default should fit majority of the customers).
    - Monitor it for a couple of months
    - Disable those that you don't need, and enable others if you think you require it for specific.

• Update my app. What is the correct procedure for updating an app/folio?

I designed a folio in Indesign CS6 and created an app of the folio in adobe dps and succesfully uploaded it to the app store. Now I want to update my app. What is the correct procedure for updating an app/folio?

no, just update your content and recreate the Single Edition App. Your certificate should still be valid so there is not need to recreate these.
    ... your App ID absolutely need to be the exact same one you used for the first version if you want to make sure this is an update.

• Correct procedure to update to Lollipop and perform hard reset

Hi Community,
    I need to know the correct procedure to update the Sony Xperia Z2 from KitKat to Lollipop.
    These are the main questions:
    1) Update via OTA or from PC Companion when the firmware is noticed?
    2) When the hard reset (system repair) must be done? Before the update or after the update or both?
    3) How perform CORRECTLY, STEP BY STEP, the hard reset after Lollipop update?
    I and all Z2 users need this fondamental informations to prevent Lollipop bugs or malfunctions!
    We wait DETAILED answer from Sony!
    Cheers

We are a user support forum not Sony employed - If you want to update then do so via any means you see fit then if you want to make sure it's a clean fresh install then try performing a system repair using PC Companion - This will factory reset your phone and erase all data so best to backup before you begin
    Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
    Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process
    If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP
    For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

• Should one update Embedded Controller program before a BIOS update ?

Hello All,
    I have an IBM Thinkpad 600E 2645 4AU that has an old version of BIOS that am trying to update to the latest.
    I read on the net that before updating the BIOS its required to update the Embedded Controller program.
    This is what I read and am quoting :
    " It is also important to understand that Thinkpads from IBM have two separate firmwares: the BIOS, and the Embedded Controller program. A given BIOS version will require a certain version of the Embedded Controller program. The IBM documentation is sometimes unclear about the order in which these two firmwares should be updated. On most, but not all Thinkpads, the correct update order is Embedded Controller program first, and then the BIOS. Make sure to do the two updates immediately one after the other. Newer models from Lenovo update both the Embedded Controller program and the BIOS at the same time, so you don't have to worry about it."
    Could anyone let me know if this applies ? I searched the Lenovo site for a  Embedded Controller program for my laptop model but found none. So wondering if this model would require the Embedded Controller program update ?
    Thanks.
    Alex

OK, I've fixed this now.
    I had Kaspersky Internet Security installed and had disabled it manually but it was obvisouly still blocking fundamental system changes like these.  I uninstalled KIS completely and then ran these updates again and all worked fine.

• Can't update embedded controller

tried different ways including thinkvantage and everytime update will freeze at the update screen. bios update always succeeds. Any clues?. laptop is T43 1871 came with bios 1.23 and embedded controller 1.03. I was able to update the bios to 1.29 but I was always faced with embedded controller 1.05 update screen freeze problem. my question if bios firmware has to match embedded controller firmware and using thinkvantage update why bios update was listed as recommended and embedded controller update listed as optional? TIA.

I'm having the same problem.
    Help!

• Unable to update BIOS or Embedded Controller Program on X40

Hi,
    I have an IBM Thinkpad X40 laptop.  I currently have BIOS version 1.43 and Embedded Controller Version 1.32.  I am trying to upgrade both of these separately using the following programs:
    BIOS update (Non-Diskette) - ThinkPad X40
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-53881
    Embedded Controller Program (Non-Diskette) - ThinkPad X40
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-53882
    I download and run them, go through the 4 step wizard and then the machine reboots.  The problem is that it doesn't update the BIOS or the ECP but it also doesn't tell me why or even tell me that it's failed.
    Has anyone experienced this issue or know what causes this?  I am unable to do this via a diskette because I don't have a floppy drive on this model.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

OK, I've fixed this now.
    I had Kaspersky Internet Security installed and had disabled it manually but it was obvisouly still blocking fundamental system changes like these.  I uninstalled KIS completely and then ran these updates again and all worked fine.

• Embedded Controller update (which is included with the BIOS update) for my T400

I have a T400. That's all I know.  I'm supposed to dwonload one of these two updates. 
    ThinkPad                                              Package version     BIOS version              Embedded Controller version 
    T400 (with IEEE 1394 models)        3.09-1.05                  3.09 (7UET79WW)     1.05 (7VHT15WW)
    or a
    T400 (without IEEE 1394 models)   3.10-1.05                 3.10 (7VET80WW)      1.05 (7VHT15WW)
    How do I know which one?   
    This answer didn't come with the download directions so a non-techie (me) cannot go further.
    Please help me with this.
    Thank you,
    John

Hi johnslenovo,
    To check if you have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows installed do check our KB Article on this.
    //JameZ
    Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
    X240 | 8GB RAM | 512GB Samsung SSD

• Botched Embedded Controller Program Service Utility upgrade.

Hi,
    It seems that I might have a little problem. I've recently started updating my T43 with ThinkVantage Update program and the first couple of updates went like a breeze. Even the new BIOS installed alright. But when I started upgrading Embedded Controller Program Service Utility it suddenly stopped at that gray screen saying that the system was now updating and is telling me not to turn it off in any case. The thing is, it says it should take about 30 seconds while I have been waiting for over an hour but to no avail.
    I am a little afraid of turning of my computer, don't really want to damage it. Does any of you have any ideas what should I do in such circumstances? Any help would be much appreciated.

with the bios upgrade through windows, the process is quite simple but there is potential for interference from other programs that is going on in the background, this is especially a problem with laptop that have not been maintained properly in terms of regular virus scanning, deleting unwanted programs, keeping background processes to the minimal. For a more secure update, try to do the bios update through the ISO image method.
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• G770 on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller

I have been searching everywhere on the Lenovo support/driver site and on the Internet.  I just updated to Windows 8 Pro and have found that my device manager has an alert.  It in in other devices, titled under unknown device with a heading of on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.
    I am trying to find how to fix this.  I had the same problem on a Toshiba but somehow I accidentally fix that laptop.  But the Lenovo G770 has me stumped.
    Please let me know what to do to correct this problem.  I saw something about a Trusted Device or so but still can not find anything.  I also searched Mircosoft but they tell you to go back to the laptop manufacturer.

Download Power management at this site http://download.lenovo.com/express/ddfm.html
    Locate your model of your laptop and select "Power Management"

• What is the correct procedure for upgrading to aperture 3.4

I am working in South Sudan and am shortly going to be in a place where I can download all the updates. The last time I did an update was around 2 weeks ago.
    I presume that there will be updates for Mountain Lion, iPhoto and Aperture, plus a whole pile of iOS updates. From the support questions I see that there is a number of people having problems.
    I presume that the first thing to do will be to rebuild the library of aperture.
    What is the correct procedure after that?

If I do an upgrade through AppStore, and find it does not work, do I uninstall first by removing to trash? What do you mean by revert to an earlier version, and which previous version of Aperture should I use.
    Neville,
    So you did buy Aperture from the AppStore?
    Then move the Aperture application to the Trash, but do not empty it, just in case
    Sign into the AppStore and reinstall. In this case you do not need to revert to an earlier version. If the AppStore installer does not find an Aperture in your Applications folder, it will have to make a full install, and no incompatible frameworks should remain, as is the problem with the partial upgrades right now.
    Yes, I have a bootable clone,
    And have you checked, if you really can boot from your clone? Just being very cautious.
    Do you use facebook? Some posters are having problems, even after reinstalling, if the want to publish to Facebook. Post back, if you encounter that problem.
    Good Luck
    Léonie

• Correct Procedure To Import m4v Into iTunes

Hello, what is the correct procedure to import m4v movie files Into iTunes so that I can watch them on my iPad? Nothing seems to work...

Gee, that makes total sense. Wonder why the fine folks at Toast didn't think of that when selling the concept of making an iTunes export from your MPEG4 (H.264 AVC) video project? Glad I didn't upgrade from 10 because there doesn't seem to be improvement in 11 for this issue.
    I'm testing the theory floated here and stated from Apple that in order to be accepted into the "new" iTunes each video has to specifically be coded in QT Player or iMovie to render in multiple formats (iPod, iPhone, iPad screen sizes). I have a number of videos I made (in iMove) that apparently were natively made in this way (in the background). However most video made by others are clearly not (simply in a single format, that's specified). The player product doesn't downconvert is another way of saying it. iTunes will play out to any of their products if the file is accepted into iTunes (e.g., created properly with multiple formats embedded).
    If Toast does know this, how many others are there claiming to make compatible uploads that really don't. Seemed like Toast used to be the end-all of compatible (plug and play with Apple and many others) apps.
    IMO, if true, this is a shortcoming of the process of using your own videos in iTunes (not a copyright issue) and greatly extends the time needed to import those projects. It actually restricts legal uses to being made in iMovie or converting in QT. Convenient for nobody...

• Procedure which updates duplicate jobs to some new jobs

as i am new to pl/sql i want to create a procedure which updates duplicate jobs to some new jobs without using count and if then else statement.
    EMPNO ENAME JOB
    7000 ELLISON OWNER
    7369 SMITH CLERK
    7499 ALLEN SALESMAN
    7521 WARD SALESMAN
    7566 JONES MANAGER
    7654 MARTIN SALESMAN
    7698 BLAKE MANAGER
    7782 CLARK MANAGER
    7788 SCOTT ANALYST
    7839 KING PRESIDENT
    7844 TURNER SALESMAN
    EMPNO ENAME JOB
    7876 ADAMS CLERK
    7900 JAMES CLERK
    7902 FORD ANALYST
    7934 MILLER CLERK
    i want to update duplicate jobs with each new name which is not replicating
    e.g if it is for salesman it should be newjob_s1,newjob_s2,newjob_s3.
    Edited by: Aviral on Aug 1, 2011 6:20 AM

Dear Aviral,
    refer:- http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.all_books
    please read forum ediquette
    Posters, please mind these common-sense rules when participating here:
    - When asking a question, provide all the details that someone would need to answer it. Consulting documentation first is highly recommended. - When answering a question, please be courteous and respectful; there are different levels of experience represented here. A poorly worded question is better ignored than flamed - or better yet, help the poster ask a better question.
    - It is considered good etiquette to reward answerers with points (as "helpful" - 5 pts - or "correct" - 10pts).
    - See more tips in the FAQ
    Thanks for doing your part to make this community as valuable as possible for everyone!
    - OTN

• Is this the correct procedure ?

Hi experts,
    As per my knowledge i am following the following procedure for
    extracting Inventory data.Please suggest me whether it is correct
    or not:
    1.Activate 2Lis_03_bx datasource in rsa5 and run intialization of
    setup tables in the tcode MCNB and transport in
    rsa6.Replicate datasource into bi system. Create transformations
    between datasource and Infocube.Create Info package with
    generate Initial status and load the data upto PSA.
    Create DTP and set it to Delta With Get data by request and load
    data to the info cube.Compress the request with No marker update
    not set.( I unchecked the check box and compressed the request ).
    the setting Get data by request.
    2.Activate 2Lis_03_bf datasource in rsa5 & LBWE fill the setup
    tables in the transaction oli1bw and transport in
    rsa6.Replicate datasource into bi system. Create transformations
    between datasource and DSO.Create Init of delta with data
    transfer Info package and load the data upto PSA..
    data to the DSO. And then create DTP with Delta with get data by
    request between DSO and infocube  and load the data into the
    same cube in which the 2lis_03_bx was loaded and Compress the
    request with No marker update set. ( I checked the check box and
    compressed the request ).
    3.Activate 2Lis_03_um datasource in rsa5 & LBWE and fill the
    setup tables in olizbw and transport
    in rsa6.Replicate datasource into bi system. Create
    transformations between datasource and DSO ( Same DSO in
    which 2lis_03_bf was loaded ).   Create Init of delta
    with data transfer Info package and load the data upto PSA..
    data to the DSO. And then create DTP with Delta with get data by
    request between DSO and infocube  and load the data into the
    same cube in which the 2lis_03_bx & 2lis_03_bf were loaded and
    Compress the request with No marker update set. ( I checked the
    check box and compressed the request ).
    Can anyone please suggest me whether it is the correct procedure
    or not and also suggest me what are the standard relevant cubes
    and DSO's ( With keyfields )  which are used to load the data from
    2lis_03_bx,2lis_03_bf, 2lis_03_um.
    Full points will be assigned.
    Thanks & Regards,
    V N.

Dear VN,
    the way you are extracting is correct and while loading to the cube and doing the compression especially for inventory please follow the steps as follows.
    2lis_03_BX = Stock initialization, (first we have to do this and check no marker update and compress)
    2lis_03_BF = Material Moments, (do the loadu2026and donu2019t do compression)
    2lis_03_UM = Revaluations, (after this load also completed do compression on both the loads normally)
    NOTE: if you want to see for which request the no marker update option is set and for which request the option is not used, go to the log file of each compression and if you see messages like REF POINT UPDATE then the marker was not updated in this compression.
    Please assign points if it helps...
    still you need any further calirify please let us know..
    Thanks,
    Ashok

• For 4 hours..."Flashing embedded controller.Do not power off." -- on my screen for 4 hours...

On a Thinkpad X1 Carbon,  I did a Lenovo System Update.  
    One of the updates included the BIOS.   The system shutdown and rebooted.
    The message on the bottom left of the reboot splash screen has been:
    "Flashing embedded controller.  Do not power off."
    for the past 4 hours. 
    Any suggestions? 

Remove Sophos.
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/21069437#21069437
    Upgrading RAM may help.
    If your Mac runs slowly:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH19031?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
      Start up in Safe Mode.  http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1564
    Reset SMC.     http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
    Choose the method for:
    "Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".
    Repair Disk
    Steps 1 through 7
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5836
    Best.

Maybe you are looking for