Dead T60

Hello,
I have a T60 that is completely dead - it won't boot up at all.  When I have it plugged into the AC adapter, the battery status light is green but flashes intermittently.  When I push the on/off button - nothing.  My battery FRU is not one of the bad ones.
Thanks,
Alex

You could try it without removing the RAM, as per this (original?) recipe, posted 2007-09-07:
http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to...
If that doesn't work you could try also removing the hard drive and optical drives as per this recipe.
If that still doesn't work you could try re-seating the RAM as lead_org suggests.
While you have the palmrest off, you could also try removing the CMOS backup battery as per this recipe.
If none of the above bring your ThinkPad back to life, it's probably time to call Service.
Good luck!
-Frank
Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

Similar Messages

• Dead t60 8744 h3u model

Hi, my 8744 h3u will not boot up or give any signs of life after traveling in a suitcase and being a bit squashed, I was thinking about buying a used t60 and putting the hard disk from the dead t60 into a replacement t60 just so I could do the things I need to do. Are there any t60 models that will not work with the hard disk I salvage from the dead 8744 h3u. This seems like it would be much cheaper than sending my dead t60 to the lenovo depot, I don't even know if lenovo would be willing to attempt repair of the 8744 h3u. The dead 8744 h3u is stock windows vista business other than than me adding 2mb of ram. Thanks
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

How do you know that the HDD is dead?
    What do you mean when you say, "will not boot up or give any signs of life"? When you power it on does it beep? If so what is the sequence of beeps? 
    As to your question, the T60 uses standard SATA HDDs. These are available for around $50 from any computer store, e.g. NCIX. But first let's establish that your HDD is indeed dead.
    Cheers... Dorian Hausman
    X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

• Putting an HD from a T60 into a T400

I have several dead T60's and also a dead T400 which has a non working hard drive.  One of the T60's worked fone, but had a non working display. I tried various options to get the display operational, but everntually concluded that the video board was defective.
    What I'd like to do is remove the hard drive from the T60 and install it into the T400, which, if successful, would provide the T400 with a working hard drive, all the files contained therein, and a windows OS.
    Is this a feasable plan or am I overlooking something?

The physical HDD from a T60 should work in a T400 as both are SATA drives. The drive might even work a bit faster since the T400 uses a SATA-II interface while the T60 is only SATA-I.
    The issue is going to be the operating software and drivers that were installed on the T60. Some may not work properly on the T400. 
    There's no harm in trying to move the HDD and see if/how it boots up. If there are driver errors then be sure to run ThinkVantage System Update to resolve them. In any case it's a good idea to run both Windows Update and TVSU as soon as possible to ensure that your system is up-to-date.
    Cheers... Dorian Hausman
    X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

• Is this thinkpad r61 worth the money and is the supervisor password removable

Hi everyone I found this r61 on eBay to replace my dead t60 :-( anyway I thought id ask you guys before I spent most of my money again from what I can see the only problem is the supervisor password is it removable? It also looks like a 15.4"
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-R61-14-1-Laptop-Incomplete-non-working-laptop-/16101463567...
    thank you for looking :-)
    My main Thinkpad - T400, 2768-BA8, core 2 duo t8300, 8GB RAM, ATI HD3470, 700GB HDD drive.

No reason to be sorry.
    Please do note though, as George mentions, discussions about security feature circumventions, which include password hacks/etc, aren't allowed per the Community Rules.
    Since you haven't purchased the machine yet, you should ask the seller if they will be removing any BIOS passwords (power-on, HDD, supervisor) prior to shipping the unit. If they can't, or won't, the best advice is to stay away from the machine altogether. All of that said, the seller claims that the machine is only being sold for parts. So you'll want to keep that in mind.
    Regards.
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
    Community Resources: Participation Rules • Images in posts • Search (Advanced) • Private Messaging
    PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
    X1C3 Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Y3P • T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Y2P Y13
    I am not a Lenovo employee.

• Thinkpad T60 Dead

When i switch on the laptop all indications are gone.laptop is in dead condition. before touch the power button i got the ac power indication in the laptop.While i am trying to touch the power button all are gone .laptop is in dead.
    can anyone tell me the solution for this.
    With regards,
    kannan.k

Let's try this old trick:
    Remove the battery, hard and media drives. Unplug the AC adapter.
    Press the "power" button ten times in a row holding it down for ten seconds each time and thirty seconds the last time around.
    Plug the adapter - but nothing else - back in and try to power on.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• T60 dead - mobo compatibility?

Hi...
    well, it happened. Sombody dropped a glass of wine on my T60, and it is dead. No power, no LED, no nothing.
    I can handle some work by myself and in fact enjoy it, so I downloaded a manual and pick it apart, mainly to know which mobo model was in the thing, and if i can find one on e-bay.
    Well, my mobo was of the 42T0116 variety, and there are plenty on e-bay. (E-Bay listing)
    My question is:
    apart from this number [42T0116], should I know anything else to avoir compatibility problem? I'm seeing different TYPES listed (1953-CT0, 1953DAU and others)...
    I guess the LCD screen dimensions is important (14 inches here)... or not?
    Thks for your help...
    <
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Yes, it will work.
    Not all the FRU numbers are listed in the HMM. This holds true for most models, and quite a few parts - including motherboards - that get added or improved during the model's life cycle.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• T60, Battery Dead, is it OK to use?

I think, my laptop battery is dead. The message says: Irreparable damage to the battery has been detected. Replace the battery with a new one.
    As I usually use it at home, I don't mind using it with power connected to it. But, is possible to use my laptop with dead battery? Is it safe?
    Please recommend. Thanks.

you can leave the battery in the laptop it does not cause any safety issues. Also whether a battery inserted, your laptop would run at 100% cpu load when needed. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• T60 completley dead after batttery discharged

Hi all,
    I left my T60 turned on overnight and forgot to plug it in.  When I discovered it in the morning I plugged it in and it would not start.  Not only that, but I don't even get the led indicating that it is plugged in to AC power.  As far as I remember I had it set to hibernate when the battery gets low, but I have never tested to see that it  actually does.
    I have tried everything on the troubleshooting page.  Also I have tried this business of pressing the power button ten times and then holding it down for 30 seconds.  Anyone had this problem before?  I found similar things on the forums but none of the suggested fixes have worked. The only thing I haven't been able to try is putting in a known charged batterybecause I don't have access to one.

I have a T61 (T60 might have the same issue, take a look)  and after reading all the forums I ended up taking the BIOS battery and the main battery out and leaving only AC power plugged and caaabang it started I was so happy. After putting everything back together I turned on the power and set the bios settings to correct date and time. Windows showed loading and I was back in as a happy camper ) But once I shut down I could not turn it back on again without unplugging the cmos battery, that lead me to believe that there was a short somewhere so after dusting everything out with compressed air and cleaning everything with an anti-static cloth I was able to narrow down the problem... the freaking docking port was oxidized but you can' tell unless you press the little plastic cover down!!! I got some rubbing alcohol and equipment cleaner and proceeded to clean the  port out, once complete I took the bios battery out one more time, and put it back in and ever since I have not had a problem starting the thing up. Hope this helps to those that are looking for one more solution to this problem.
    Cheers, Nick.
    T61 15" WSXGA+
    Intel 2.2 Ghz 
    2GB Ram
    X3100
    Intel AGN

• T60, dead bios and exceeded warranty

Hi,
    I encountered some unfortunate problems during the automatic bios update on my T60 and now it's nothing but a paperweight. As I was looking forward to using this baby with my school work later this fall, I'd like to ask you fellows whether I have any options here. I have exceeded the warranty, so I would like to know if anyone happens to know how much does fixing this sort of an issue cost?
    Edit: No, I can not use any media to boot any sort of an application. The only thing I get is the quiet humming of the machine.. No HDD activity.

you would need a new motherboard. You can get one from ebay (which are stripped from old machines) for around 100 to 250 dollars, depending on spec and condition. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li

• T60 dead

I have a laptop ibm thinkpad t60, one day I'm going to turn it on, and you no longer see anything on the screen. The screen is black, and the LEDs below the screen are all off, but it feels that the hdd spins as well as the processor fan. (I always use under current and battery, and note that under the current light of the "plug" that indicates precisely which is under current is switched off).
    Then I remove the pad and turned to the Rams, I remove the two 512mb ram modules from the backup battery and detachment even the keyboard. in short, do various tests until the PC side and emits beeps that indicate no ram, then get back modules and the pc starts normally. Now after a few weeks the thing was repeated, I disassembled and reattached everything but the PC does not turn on. I also tried with the battery but nothing.
    What can it be? motherboard?

Given that the LEDs are out along with the LCD itself, it leads me to believe that one of the following - or a combination thereof - has failed:
    a) Inverter
    b) LCD cable
    c) A fuse on the motherboard.
    I'd try replacing the inverter first and see whether that yields an improvement.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George

• T60 2623P2U fan dead

As the subject says, I turn my laptop on and get a message "fan error" with nothing else (no error codes), followed by two beeps and then a shut down. If the fan is broken, is this something I can replace/fix? If so, is there a site that can explain how?
    Thanks!

Hi maziwanka, welcome to the forum,
    please take a look at these articles in the knowledgebase, hopefully they contain all or most of the information you need to enable you to replace your fan.
    By all means post further questions if you have any and do let us know if you found them usefull.
    Good luck
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Could some one help me with dead pixel on my screen?

I bought my Thinkpad X61 only a few days back. I opened it and found that there is one dead pixel in the middle of the monitor. Is there any possibilty that Lenovo would fix this? I know that I have to pay 15% of the purchage amount in order to return this peice. I would be really happy to return it without any costs. I talked to the service people. This is the worst service ever I had. No one is replying. One girl told me that the dead pixel goes away in a few days and It would be okey. It looks like if you order a laptop online, they send you laptop with defective pixels.

This message is locked.
    Please use the one in the X Series Tablet section.
    Message Edited by carbon_unit on 04-05-2008 07:04 AM
    T60 2623-D7U, 3 GB Ram. Dual boot XP and Linux Mint.
    T400 2765-T7U Windows 7
    Registered Linux User #160145
    FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo

• T60 Windows startup problem?

So today out of the blue my IBM t60 shut off. when i try to start it back up it gives a blue screen of death while on the windows screen (windows xp). This occurs every single time even when the option to boot into safe mode is used.
    I've tried reformatting the computer but when the boot disk was used, it gave an error stating that the hard drive could not be recognized even though I've been using the same hard drive for over 3 years now.
    Is this a sign of a dead hard drive?
    The thinkvantage system restore utility does not work for me either saying that I have the wrong windows password and also do not have the correct answers for the "forgot my password" utility. is there any way to get around that in order to see if I can get my data back?
    thanks in advance

try switching the bios sata mode from achi to compatibility. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li

• T60 - Screen flickers then turns off

I'm having a repeated issue with a T60 - the screen will flicker for an hour or two occasionally, with what looks like windows showing VERY briefly, midway down the screen and to the right. Then the screen goes black. The harddrive continues, the lights are still on, and if I have music or a game running, the sound continues. Only the screen goes out. I have to turn it off using the power button, and it restarts just fine. This happens maybe twice a day with HEAVY usage (10-12 hours a day).
    Any help would be greaty appreciated! 

Welcome to the forum, smithd8!
    Reddish/pinkish hue is a dead giveaway for a failing backlight. If your laptop is still under warranty, send it in for a LCD replacement.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    George

• Lennovo T60

Hi i have a lennovo T60 thinkpad, after a faulty backlight in my last screen i bought a used screen from a reputable dealer on ebay and replaced the screen which works well for a few hours then surprise surprise blacks out and fades so i have to look really closely in the light to see it, if i close the lid and re-open it springs back to life. It also has a pink ting down at the bottom left hand side of the screen. I dont want to go to the expense of having the screen removed and a new one in it's place if it isnt the screen. So far it has only done this whilst plugged into the mains supply and not while running on battery. The person i purchased the screen from has suggested it needs a little paste on the processor and graphics but i am not fully convinced. I really want my laptop to work as it's a great machine but i cant afford to throw endless money at solving the issue, any help please?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Welcome to the froum!
    That screen has a failing backlight - pinkish hue is a dead giveaway that NO OTHER defect produces - so return it ASAP and get a refund from the "reputable seller".
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George

Maybe you are looking for