DIMM slot cover T420

Hi, I noticed that the DIMM slot cover on the underside of my T420 doesn't sit completely flush: one side is just slightly raised, and there is a tiny bit of play when I press with my finger. I don't think this affects anything, but just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem or if it is something I should deal with. thanks.

i tested 2 different ram on this slot and it gives me error but the strange thing that
it works very good no problems at all
but i still have one problem why PAT always disapled even if i switch the performance mode to TURBO  

Similar Messages

• X121e Available DIMM Slots

Hi all, yesterday I bought a Lenovo X121e Laptop (the one with AMD E-450). Simply brilliant, but I noticed a strange thing... I started Lenovo ThinkVintage Toolbox, everything is fine but in the summary below, in the Memory section it says "4,00 GB - 0 DIMM slots available." (Well I don't know the exact sentences in the English software, I'm Italian and using an Italian OS). How is this possible? I knew this laptop has 2 DIMM slots, maybe it's something wrong with mine? Uh, exact thing if I use Piriform's Speecy. Thank you.

Perhaps your unit shipped with 2x2GB instead of 1x4GB?
    Just open the memory cover and see what's in there.
    | X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |

• I have 8GB Ram in 1st DIMM slot... can i add another in 2nd slot?

i have ordered a HP Evny 700-310xt with windows 8.1
    I opted to have 8ram in one Dimm slot instead of 4ram in two slots....
    I had hoped to get another 8ram module to put in the 2nd slot when my pc arrives...so i will have 16 ram, but i have a hard time to find out where i can get original parts from HP. I tried th parts store at HP no luck. I don't want to throw the 8ram away that comes with the machine and by two more ....... i want to keep the 8ram that comes with it...and add a single 8ram module.
    "The part number for my 8GB memory module  is part number 698651-154"
    do i have to use the same exact manufacturer part?
    thanks so much in advance
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hi,
    Yes, you can add 1 piece of 8Gb to the second slot to make 16Gb as mentioned:
        http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=au&lc=en&docname=c04344813
    You can use other RAM with SAME specs but using same RAM is much better in terms of peace of mind. HP RAM may be a bit more expensive.
    Regards.
    BH
    **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• Running your memory the right way/ running 4 DIMM slots on P55 boards

Dear Forumers,
    Lately there are a lot of questions, about motherboards from the P55 range not starting on first boot.
    This could be due to wrongly arranged memory DIMM's in your slots.
    Some people out there, like me, were convinced that you could choose either dualchannel.
    Well, its not the case.
    Like I was pointed out earlier, you must use a certain slot, otherwise the memory will not be detected properly.
    According to Intel specs, DIMM0, must always be populated.
    This means that to run dualchannel with only 2 DIMM's, that you must check your manual and look carefully which slot is for DIMM0.
    According to the manual, it will be slot DIMM1 on your board, but watch out, this is not the slot closest to cpu, on current MSI P55 boards, (CD-53, GD-41, GD-45, GD-55, GD-65, GD-80 and the Big Bang Trinergy), its the second slot from cpu.
    Picture of P55 mainboard:
    From a manual from a MSI P55 board:
    So for dualchannel with 2 sticks, you must populate the black slots, DIMM1 and DIMM3 and for single channel with one stick DIMM1 most be used.
    Please bear in mind that DIMM0 in Intel spec.sheets means DIMM1 on your board.
    The link to technical sheet from intel about : i7 8xx cpu's
    http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322164.pdf
    A short quote with the relevant data:
    Rules for Populating Memory Slots
    In all modes, the frequency of system memory is the lowest frequency of all memory
    modules placed in the system, as determined through the SPD registers on the
    memory modules. The system memory controller supports one or two DIMM
    connectors per channel for unbuffered DIMMs. For dual-channel modes, both channels
    must have at least one DIMM connector populated and for single-channel mode only a
    single-channel may have one or more DIMM connectors populated.
    Note: DIMM0 must always be populated within any memory configuration. DIMM0 is the
    furthest DIMM within a channel and is identified by the CS#[1:0], ODT[1:0], and
    CKE[1:0] signals.
    For more info, please read datasheet
    Also, let me remind you that this goes for ALL P55 boards out there, its not just an MSI thing.
    This has to do with the fact that the memorycontroller now sits on die on the Lynnfield cpu's.
    Im hoping to end the debate, like I had (and I was wrong), about the fact that you should be able to use any channel, like you could on the S775 boards, you just cant anymore.
    Update 26 december 2009:
    Running all 4 DIMM slots with memorysticks
    It seems that a lot of people are having problems running with all memoryslots occupied, e.g. not booting, BSOD and other crazy stuff.
    If you have such problems try the following first, before running back to the store to swap stuff out.
    - Raise Vdimm to 1.65V, its still a save voltage for the board and this way the memory gets a little more power and in 99% of the cases, this will solve the issue.
    - Try booting/installing with one stick first in DIMM1 on the board  (see above).
    - If it boots/installs, let it go all the way till windows is done.
    - Turn off pc and add a second DIMM in DIMM slot 3, restart and let i boot all the way again in windows till its done.
    - Do the same again for DIMM2 and last DIMM4.
    We know its a bit of a hassle, but it worked for a lot of people, so be sure to try this before anything else.
    And again, its not just an MSI thing, there are more manufacturers out there with the same issues, this also has to do with the fact the memorycontroller now sits on die with cpu.
    I'll edit if new boards come out.
    --I made your images clickable
      Click the modify button to see how I did it.
    --Mike

Upgrading Mother Board (P55-GD65 with i3 processor) BIOS [/b] from 1.3 to 1.6 corrected my Computer re-starting soon after the Boot sequence began.  Putting the four 2GB RAM in one at a time in the suggested order in sequence with the socket numbers fixed the problem earlier, but only for the next, one boot.  The problem then returned as long as all 4 DRAM were installed.  Raising the DRAM voltage did not improve things. 
    I used the Forum's program for flashing the new version of Bios using USB Flash Memory for boot into DOS.
    Thank you, DaLoona, for your post notifying me this had to do with the motherboard and was probably not a failure, but a "normal" occurance in certain conditions.  I was no longer inclined to return the board and perhaps end up with the same error in the replacement, and no longer worried about the rebooting doing damage. 
    In Bios Setup I had already reduced an entry to do with number of overclocking tries from 3 to 1 (the minimum choice) which reduced the number of re-boots to 1.

• Where can I buy a slot cover for my Mac Pro?

I need a slot cover for my Mac. Any idea where I can get one?

These folks have cases and parts and first place I check.
    http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Mac-Pro-Cases-and-Parts-c-25351725190.html

• Is there an easy way to identify ASA5500's with a single DIMM slot?

I have a large quantity of ASA5520's and ASA5540's that need to be quickly assessed and RTV'd (if need be) if they are found to be upgraded ASA5510's.
    My concern is because of this recent release-note by Cisco:
    http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtg55418
    Is there a way to check the amount of DIMM slots on a unit through console or do I have to physically check each and every one? Thanks.

That's an interesting note!
    In theory, if you don't know the provenance of your ASA, I suppose you would have to physically check. It would need to be unracked and opened up. They have about 15-20 screws on the top and sides so it definitely needs to be pulled out.
    In practice, it's only certain systems you'd need to do this on. If the device currently reports 256 MB, it's a 5510. If it reports 2 GB, it's really a 5520 or 5540 as it reports. If it reports 512 MB or 1 GB and hardware type 5520 or 5540 it could be one of the pirated boxes.

• Problem of usb sim card slot cover

A few weeks ago I am having trouble began instability usb and sim card slot cover. Which it opens on its own Notwithstanding the provisions close it.Yesterday I taken out the phone quickly from my pocket and then I lost the cover of the usb and sim card without notice. Now my phone without usb and sim slot cover

Hi RedDevilMan,
    I would suggest that you contact Sony Mobile within your region, they should be able to help provide an outcome.
    use my signature to find details for your region.
    Let us know how you get on.
     - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff
    If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
    If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

• Does the iMac with Retina 5K Display have "user accessible" SO-DIMM slots or not?

The Apple Site "http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/" for the iMac with Retina 5K Display states for memory that it has "four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible".  What does that really mean?  Contact with Apple support indicates that the newest iMac is sealed, therefore I MUST order it with all of the memory I need, or I would have to break the seal (tear it apart) to upgrade the memory later to get to the memory slots...there is no access door as there was in earlier iMacs.  Is the memory in slots or soldered in?  How can that be interpreted as "user accessible"?  This seems very misleading, or Apple support has it wrong.
    Sorry if this seems like a rant, but it sort of is.  Does anyone know the facts on this?

The previous 27 inch iMacs had the same statement. It means that the user can access the memory slots and add or change ram. There is an access panel on the iMac. On 21 inch iMacs there is no door and the ram is not user accessible.

• Which DIMM slots for 6GB RAM upgrade

I am not sure if it makes any difference in a Santa Rosa macbook pro whether you put the 4GB RAM chip in the top DIMM slot or the bottom DIMM slot when upgrading to 6GB of RAM. I had heard that bigger chips must be configured properly in a mac pro to get optimal use of the RAM. I have looked all over for an answer for this and cannot find any information about this anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

I have this same question. I have a late-2008 unibody MBP 15, and 6GB of RAM. However, I have observed some instability with 6GB (kernel panics). I'm not sure what to point the finger at. I ran memtest86 overnight without any errors. The memory is Corsair. So, I'm not even sure it's the memory causing the issues.
    Most often the kernel panics are from the mdworker or Parallels processes -- both of which are notorious for causing kernel panics.
    Anyway, I was also curious whether anyone else has speculation on "Slot 0" vs "Slot 1". So far, I've only run it in "Slot 1". Currently, I've yanked the 4GB DIMM from the MBP and am running back at 4GB (2x2GB).

• Xtra DIMM slots??

Ok i have a G5 1.8 dual ppc. My question is... Can i physically Install Extra DIMM slots into my mac for extra RAM?? Im at 4gigs max now, but I see room for extra DIMM slots. Can this be done? OR does the firmware and memory controller not support beyond 4 gigs max??

Thank you for the info A.J.   I was in search of maximizing my G5 without having to purchase a new G5. I just read a lil something on solid state SSD drives. Now here is what i am trying to acomplish. I am running PROTOOLS 8.0 with a 002 digidesign interface. Im trying to run my setup with the least hickups as possible. since Digidesign/AVID After spending an arm and a leg getting this set up Apple and Avid seem to keep wanting to dig and empty my pockets of any left over change i may be hiding from them in order to get info on running this setup in optimal state. So basically what im in search of is...HOW AND WHAT DO I DO TO GET MY MAC TO RUN THIS DAW WITHOUT WORRYING THAT I PURCHASED WRONG HARDWARE/RAM/DRIVES/MORESTUFF just to get protools working correctly using as many plugins and software that i may need to finish a session with complete confidence. being that i have all the right tools in place? just not enough muscle behind it? Im simply running protools 8.0 LE "nuthin major" I think... I just ant my guitar/piano/keyboard/drum/proccessor plugins to run smooth. I have a powermac 7,3 model ID. Dual 1.8 ghz powerPC G5 4gb DDR SDRAM. what else do i need? ANYONE?
    <Edited by Host>

• P67 Blue Or Black Dimm Slots?

The question seems to come up often enough to open a thread about it. The manuals for the P67's are fairly clear on recommending using the blue dimm slots, & for the very first initial system startup, one stick in the primary blue dimm slot closest to the CPU. There has to be a specific reason for that, although I don't exactly know what it is. Some seem to find a need for a gigantic CPU cooler that covers the primary slot so as to make it unusable, & ask about populating the black slots instead. At first, I made the mistake of advising folks that the blue slots must be used or it wouldn't boot at all. Well, that is not true, as I tested it on my B2 & B3 board, & they booted just fine when the RAM is in the black slots. However, for the first initial startup, I did use the primary blue slot with only one stick of RAM in the system.
    The other question comes up if a performance difference is noted using the black instead of the blue slots. Here again, on any given day or on someone else's system, the results may come out completely different, but in my tests, the blue won out, but barely, & I really mean barely. 9 passes of 3X runs each in both blue & black slots & under two different screen resolutions gave these results;
    Blue slots   FPS Average = 130.553
    Black slots  FPS Average = 130.056  for a rather miniscule advantage to the blue slots of a poultry 0.497 FPS
    Max. Resolution with my LCD netted an even closer spread.
    Blue slots   FPS Average = 82.178
    Black slots  FPS Average = 82.150  for an even tighter difference of only 0.028 FPS favoring the blue!

What test were you using
    Crysis Bench Tool. CPU 4.7, RAM 1600 CR 1 7 7 7 19 tRFC 50 @ 1.552v's.
    Believe you were using a B2 board? That will be a great comparison when you get the B3 & run your tests again. Please feel free to post your results here. Knowledge is power!

• Hp z400 6 dimm slots

hp z400 6 dimm slots
    will server memory (pc10600r) work in this computer?
    will 8gb memory (48gb total) work? or stay with 24?

Hi:
    You may also want to post your question on the HP Business Support Forum -- z Workstations section.
    http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/bd-p/bsc-272#.U-DrJ3l0y9I

• Which MSI AMD3+ mobo supports 16gb per dimm slot?

I realized I have two sticks of 16gb memory in my 760GM-p21 MOBO......of course since the mobo only supports 16 gb, I knew I couldnt see it all....
    I was considering changing to a motherboard that would support 32gb, but then found out that Windows Home 64 only allows 16gb (thanks Mizagorn!)....
    That said, can anyone tell me which MSI mobos work with the AMD3+ and also allows more than 8 GB per DIMM slot?
    Thanks!

Quote from: scumbuster on 02-January-15, 01:45:19
    I was tempted to upgrade to Pro just to get access to my additional 16 gb of RAM.....its just sitting in there.....but like I said the motherboard only supports 16gb.....I didnt realize it had that limit at the time I guess........
    Not sure if I can upgrade the OS to pro AND swap a motherboard at the same time without major issues????
    I do edit video  (Adobe CS6) and would love the extra oomph....
    http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/970_GAMING.html#hero-specification
    Up to 32GB DDR3 RAM 8GB per slot.
    And if you would like to swap motherboard, then it's rather suggested to reinstall your OS.
    If you want more than 32GB RAM then you should look at motherboards like X79 or X99 which can hold up to 128GB of RAM (X99)

• [nForce] Can I use all 3 dimm slot in K7N2 Delta 2?

First of all, i would like to thanks to all the MSI users that read this and hope that some of you could help me my question.
    as we all know, this mobo got 3 dimm slot (2 purple and 1 green). my question is, can is use all 3 dimm at one time?
    rite now i have 2 stick of 256 Kingston PC 2700. if i want to buy another stick and put it in the other available slot,
    - which type of ram can i use. must it be the same Kingston (333MHz) with the same ram size (256MB) or
    - must it be 512MB.. or
    - can it be others speed (like ddr400)
    - or others type of ram like Apacer, corsair etc....
    Thanks in advance. hope there is some one who can help me with this. Thanks again

Quote from: Frankenputer on 07-April-05, 00:24:31
    HUH? 2 x 256 and 1 512? 3 sticks? I don't believe that would be dual channel. You need paired sticks of the same size, speed, makeup to run in dual channel as far as I know. You could run your 2 sticks of 256 in dual channel if you put one in 1st slot and the other in the 3rd, or you can get 2 sticks of 512, one in the 1st and the other in the 3rd slot, to get a full gig in dual channel.
    If you get a 512 and place it in the 3rd slot and have your two 256s in the other 2 slots, they'll be running in single-channel mode. At least, that's my understanding.
    Yes, Wonka is correct it will run in dual in that configuration!
    Cheers

• Will Neo4 Platinum Support All 4 DIMM Slots?

Will the Neo4 Platinum mobo support all 4 DIMM slots being filled?  I already have 1GB of Corsair ram 2x512MB.  I want to put 2 more DIMMs in though so I'll have a total of 2GBs 4x512MB.  Will this mobo support all 4 DIMM slots being filled?
    Thanx in advance!

Quote from: Doggy on 02-October-05, 14:33:00
    My bad. . .i thought you said "Neo2 Platinum".  You clearly stated "Neo4".
    Just trying to help! 
    doggy
    So then the Neo4 won't reduce memory speeds?  I'm ready to go with 2GB of ram now.  I wish I had 2x1GB vs 4x512MB but money is a factor for me, I don't have much of it....heh, oh well as long as it works at full speed.  I wouldn't do it if I had to reduce my speed despite the difference is minimal.
    This is the memory that I have and want to get another kit of.  Corsair VS1GBKIT400 http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=140443&Category_Code=Unbuffered_Corsair
    This is what MSI says about certain types of memory:
    • This mainboard DO NOT support the memory module installed with more than 18 pieces of IC (integrated circuit). 
    • The Maximum memory speed decreases when the following two memory combination is selected:
    - Each channel is installed with two double-sided memory module
    - Both DIMM1 and DIMM3 are installed with double-sided memory module 
    • Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 3+ GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module 
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum&class=mb

Maybe you are looking for