Do I need lens filters for the EOS Rebel T3?

Do I need lens filters?

I agree with all the above...
If you shoot a lot of scenics, for example, a Circular Polarizer might be a very handy filter to have. It's useful to deepen the blue of the sky and make white clouds really stand out, to reduce or control reflections off water and glass, to increase color saturation in foliage and other things outdoors on overcast days, even in some portrait situations. It's one of the most useful of all filters, and also one of the most difficult (or impossible) to replicate in post processing softwares. I would encourage a C-Pol (sometimes "CPL") as one of the first and most important filters you might want.
Neutral density filters are handy for long exposure still photographs, such as making flowing water look "creamy". Today's DSLRs just don't have a low enough ISO setting, so ND filters can help in situations where you either want a long exposure or are trying to use a large aperture in stronger light. ND filters are gray all over to reduce the light reaching the sensor, and come in a wide variety of strengths: 1 stop, 3 stop, 6 stop, 10 stop and more.
I do carry UVs to fit all my lenses (well, at least all the ones that can be fitted with a filter). But they are stored in my camera bag until actually needed for protection. I'd install one if out shooting in a sand storm, for example.
If you go looking for Circular Polarizer or any other filter, don't skimp. Get a good quality, multi-coated to make for the best image quality. B+W MRC, Pro and Kaesemann are very good. Hoya HMC, SHMC, HD and HD2 are too. Also Marumi gets high marks (I haven't used them personally). Heliopan, Singh Ray and Lee are some other well respected brands.
I would encourage you to first get the matching lens hoods for all your lenses, though. A hood is great protection for the lens alone... But when using filters, it's even more important to use a hood (to also protect the filter... both from oblique light and from physical bumps).
Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Similar Messages

• Where can I find a basic tutorial for the EOS rebel T4i?

I just recievecd my first DSLR and I'm looking for a video tutorial that will take me through the basics of how to use the camera. I feel like this is something that should have come with the camera, (Nikon includes 3 how-to discs) but it didn't and this website is not the most user friendly. Any suggestions? 

Search YouTube for a group called PhotographersonUtube. They provide pretty good basic information along with reviews of some equipment.  Hope this helps

• Premiere pro needs a lens correction for the GoPro cameras

Premiere Pro needs a lens correction for the GoPro cameras

Please add your request here:
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
    Best,
    Peter Garaway
    Adobe
    Premiere Pro

• Are there different lens corrections for the new and old Nikkor 80-400mm lenses?

Is there a different lens correction for the new NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED lens and the older NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D lens? The model number box under profile correction seems to make no distinction so it is hard to tell if the right lens is selcted. This would also be important in filtering the lens used so a comparison could be made of the results between the old and new. The EXIF data seems to make no distinction either. The newer model is great!
    Thanks!

The newer lens is definitely supported - came in with Lr 5.0.
    Tony Jay

• I would like to obtain a lens profile for the Leica D-Lux 5.  Is that available?

I would like to obtain a lens profile for the Leica D-Lux 5.  Is that available?

If by "Final Cut Title" you mean the Basic Title (that you also get by typing Control-T), you can edit that title by right clicking on the Basic Title template in the Effects Browser >Titles > Bumper/Opener section, and selecting Open a Copy in Motion.
    In Motion 5, turn down the disclosure triangle on Main and select the Title layer (in the layers column). Under the canvas at the bottom right are several icons -- click on the one to the right of the gear (Filters) > Stylize > Extrude.  In the Inspector, select the Filters tab and right click on each one of those parameters and select Publish (that includes the Gradient). At the bottom, select the Publish OSC control (so that it is Checked.)  Everything you just published will appear in the Title Inspector in FCPX.
    Save As and give it a new name (although there will already be a "Copy of Basic Title" in FCPX -- happens as soon as you open in Motion) -- something like Extruded Title.
    Back in FCPX, you can add that title to your storyline and use the OnScreen Control to create your 3D effect however you like it.
    If you like, you can pre-setup the text to appear like you would generally like to have it in it's "starting" condition (for instance, ramp up the text size, set colors, etc.) Every time you save, however you have the title set up in Motion is how it will appear in FCPX when you add it.
    HTH

• SPAM filters for the IPhone

Are there any spam filters for the IPhone?

While there is a brief comment on what sounds like the solution elsewhere in this thread, I've set up a fantastic spam filter system. Here are the details:
    1) You'll need a second account with your ISP or workplace. "[email protected]"
    2) Mac Mail has a great series of rules, that with some work, can produce a very clean list of real mail, and a very short list of possible "wanted" mail. In my setting, I get more than 150 mail per day, only about 10 are real. We have three accounts, collectively I'll call them "[email protected]"
    3) In the rule settings, make the "last rule" to forward all messages (mail does not need you to specify which box) to "[email protected]"
    4) Set mail to check your accounts every several minutes, but to not remove mail from the server for a day or more.
    This allows me to see each real e-mail ONCE on my desktop, as I need it on my laptop, and when I need it on my iPhone.
    The important thing to remember, is to never send any mail from "[email protected]" else it will also start collecting spam on it's own. Conversely, never check the incoming mail from "[email protected]" on your iPhone for fear of inadvertently validating the address and attracting more spam.
    Hope that this helps.
    Adam
    PS--You windoze folks may be out of luck. The Windoze mail clients often cannot recognize mail that they've already downloaded, or be as slick with setting up rules to handle the spam.

• Third try. I have need of the EOS Rebel Software, how do I get it?

I made The mistake of doing a hardware upgrade on my computer, and some software was lost. Plus I cannot find my disc  for my EOS Rebel XS/1000 D. I would like to be able to use my computer with my camera but need the software to do so. Where do I get it?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Oh...sorry, it's hidden in the 1DX link but it should work for all Canon camera - the download of the EOS Digital Solution disk.  You'll need the s/n for this.
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x?selectedName=DriversAndSoft...

• HT1977 I purchased a game on my ipod touch. I restored the device to factory settings last night and when I synced all the apps back, the game is now in the demo version. How do I unlock it ? I hope I don't need to pay for the full version again.

I purchased a game on my ipod touch. I restored the device to factory settings last night and when I synced all the apps back, the game is now in the demo version. How do I unlock it ? I hope I don't need to pay for the full version again.

PES 2012 is no longer available in the US App Store and only on the British App Store currently.
    http://pes-2012.en.softonic.com/iphone
    That (an app no longer available) happens sometimes.
    Your only way is if you have the appt on your computer such as in the recycle bin/trash or in a computer file backup. In that case move it to your iTunes library and sync.

• I moved from the UK to the US with my iMac. What do I need to buy for the UK iMac to work in the US? A power convertor? A plug convertor? or Both?

I moved from the UK to the US with my iMac. What do I need to buy for the UK iMac to work in the US? A power convertor? A plug convertor? or Both?  I had previously read that you only need a plug convertor (three prong to two prong).  But I'm terrified that my iMac will blow up if I only use a plug convertor and not some sort of voltage convertor (Transformer).

I'm not really hardware tech savy - is it easy to pop out the UK power cable and plug in the US power cable? Or do I need to get someone like an iMac support guy to do this? And because of the voltage difference, is there something built into the iMac that takes care of the voltage difference for me?  Thanks!!

• I need a reference for the parameters in Firefox about:config.

I need a reference for the parameters in Firefox about:config.
    I can't find it on the Web.

*http://kb.mozillazine.org/about%3Aconfig_entries
    *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Preferences
    There is also info in the Firefox preferences files (open via the location bar):
    *resource:///defaults/pref/firefox.js
    * resource:///greprefs.js

• I'm travelling to the philippines to bring my mac book pro, do i need an adapter for the 220v outlet?

i'm travelling to the Philippines  to bring my mac book pro, do i need an adapter for the 220 v outlet?

You will need an adaptor to convert the plug only, the voltage is fine.

• I need a receipt for the monthly $15.98 charge to my AMEX for FormsCentral.

I need a receipt for the monthly $15.98 charge to my AMEX for FormsCentral.

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting us.
    I request you to contact our customer support team directly at- Contact Customer Care, they will be assisting you with the payment receipt.
    Note:- Please choose the product- Acrobat.com and issue as Membership, account, payment- Click- "Still need help? contact us"- Choose contact option as- Chat.
    Regards,
    Nakul

• Lens correction for the Canon Powershot G1x

When will Adobe offer lens correction for the Canon Powershot G1x in Lightroom?

It's now in the LR 4.3 release candidate
    I installed the release candidate on a separate PC, found the lens profile file in the install folder and copied tge file to the appropriate folder in my 4.2 install.

• Camera Raw RC 8.6 does not automatically locate the lens profile for the new Canon 16-35mm f4 lens.  The profile is in RC 8.6

I have loaded Camera Raw RC 8.6.  It can not automatically locate the new Canon 16-35mm f4 lens, although the lens profile can be manually found.

Hi
    I forgot to answer one question.
    When I have a file from the Canon 16-35mm f4 lens in Camera Raw and go to 
    Lens Correction and check the box Enable Lens Profile Corrections, when I
    select  the model in the first box as Canon, it picks the wrong 16-35mm lens. 
    It  picks the f2.8.  I hope that you can get this fixed in Raw 8.6.  It is 
    a major headache for the user of this new lens.
    In a message dated 7/28/2014 3:10:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 
    [email protected] writes:
    Camera  Raw RC 8.6 does not automatically locate the lens profile for the
    new  Canon 16-35mm f4 lens.  The profile is in RC 8.6
    created by ccastleb (https://forums.adobe.com/people/ccastleb)  in Adobe 
    Camera Raw - View the full  discussion
    (https://forums.adobe.com/message/6591754#6591754)

• HT1937 how much i need to pay for the change of iphone 4s to iphone 5

how much i need to pay for the change of iphone 4s to iphone 5

binuveranal wrote:
    can some one tell me the main advantages of upgrading to iOS5 .
    What are the main additional features available with this version
    Much better notifications, better Mail, better camera, iCloud, wireless syncing, wireless updates, etc.
    You can read this review of iOS 5
    binuveranal wrote:
    IS it risky to upgrade to the iOS5 , Because I have seen many post in form that many people faceing issue when they upgrade to the latest version
    It isn't that risky. You may be reading hundreds of posts here about problems, but that is out of MILLIONS of iPhones that have been upgraded. Percentage-wise, that means most people have no problem.
    However, as with any major change to your system, you should back up everything your iPhone first. Just right-click it in iTunes to get the backup menu. That will be your safe fallback position in case something goes wrong.
    I still use an iPhone 3GS. That's older than your iPhone. But iOS 5 works fine on it.

Maybe you are looking for