Enable Virtualization: what does it do ? T400

Good day,
I have a T400 with 4GB Ram and 7200 500GB HDD,  running Ubuntu 9.10
I was snooping around my BIOS and  discovered the enable option for Virtualization...
I didnn't know what that refered to specifically and I am not sure that I do now...
How does enabling this BIOS option help run virtual machines on the T400 ?
I don't have many reasons to run Windows, but it would be great to be able to use my scanner again.
If I want to setup a VM for windows, what BIOS settings will help or hurt or what ...?
Thanks for reading,
wbg
UPDATE: I read that te VM's run under Ubuntu, so if the scanner is not detected in Ubuntu, it won't work in VM windows.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hello,
the virtualization option enables the intel vt cpu feature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_VT#Intel_Virtualization_Technology_for_x86_.28Intel_VT-x.29
that means you got a higher performance when you are running virtual machines. with vt enabled the guest feels like a native one.
maybe you can share the usb port for the scanner for the guest only. you should try it.
regards
Ibaxx

Similar Messages

• HT201335 OK, so I have the 1st generation iPad.  There is an AirPlay symbol, near the music symbol.  Is this useless? If I enable it, what does it enable?  And, what technological advances were made over the last 2 versions that have made my iPad 1, obsol

OK, so I have the 1st generation iPad.  There is an AirPlay symbol, near the music symbol.  Is this useless? If I enable it, what does it enable?  And, what technological advances were made over the last 2 versions that have made my iPad 1, obsolete? 
    Thanks for the enlightenment!
    Jeff

My daughter has had her Razr for about 9 months now.  About two weeks ago she picked up her phone in the morning on her way to school when she noticed two cracks, both starting at the camera lens. One goes completely to the bottom and the other goes sharply to the side. She has never dropped it and me and my husband went over it with a fine tooth comb. We looked under a magnifying glass and could no find any reason for the glass to crack. Not one ding, scratch or bang. Our daughter really takes good care of her stuff, but we still wanted to make sure before we sent it in for repairs. Well we did and we got a reply from Motorola with a picture of the cracks saying this was customer abuse and that it is not covered under warranty. Even though they did not find any physical damage to back it up. Well I e-mailed them back and told them I did a little research and found pages of people having the same problems. Well I did not hear from them until I received a notice from Fed Ex that they were sending the phone back. NOT FIXED!!! I went to look up why and guess what there is no case open any more for the phone. It has been wiped clean. I put in the RMA # it comes back not found, I put in the ID #, the SN# and all comes back not found. Yet a day earlier all the info was there. I know there is a lot more people like me and all of you, but they just don't want to be bothered so they pay to have it fix, just to have it do it again. Unless they have found the problem and only fixing it on a customer pay only set up. I am furious and will not be recommending this phone to anyone. And to think I was considering this phone for my next up grade! NOT!!!!

• "Acces denied - mms subscriber not enabled". What does this mean?

Thoughts?  I receive when trying to send a pic.

That's a nice phone Cball225! Do you know exactly when this started happening? Do you get this error with all MMS? Is your phone set to WiFi or Mobile Data? For MMS, Mobile Data must be enabled so this could be the reason for the error. Please try with Mobile Data on and WiFi OFF, and let's see if this works. Please keep us posted.
    Thank you,
    VanessaS_VZW
    Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
    If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

• When trying to update my IPad apps I am getting the message "Your Apple ID has been disabled". Still have more than 50$ in my account, so what does this mean ?  What can I do to get my ID enabled again ?

when I am trying to download IPad updates I get the message "Your Apple ID has been disabled". What does this mean? How do I get my ID enabled again? Still got more than 50$ in my account !

Reset your Apple ID password here >  Apple - My Apple ID
    More information here >  Apple ID: "This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons"  appears

• What does "Adjustments disabled" mean and how do I get it enabled?

When 2.1 came out I bought it, but have only tried to use it today. Projects works, Metadata works but Adjustments says "Quick Preview On (adjustments disabled). I have a couple of questions?
    1) How did this happen?
    2) What does it mean and?
    3) How can I get them enabled?
    Thanks so much

Well, that was easy. I looked throughout the manual, but couldn't find this. I assumed that there was some problem with my registration. This is a most satisfying answer. Thanks so much.

• When I plug my ipod touch into the pc, it tells me:the ipod cannot be used because the apple mobile device service is not started. What does this mean and how do I get rid of that and enable syncing?

When I plug my ipod touch into the pc, it tells me:the ipod cannot be used because the apple mobile device service is not started. What does this mean and how do I get rid of that and enable syncing?

Hello Julia,
    Start with this article.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1567
    B-rock

• What does "Owners Enabled" mean in Disk Utility

Hi -
    Not an emergency - I'm not having any issues at this time - but a matter of curiosity.
    I have 5 Firewire drives hooked into my G5 and only the main HD and the Time Machine drive say "Yes" next to "Owners Enabled" in Disk Util. The other externals indicate "No". What does Owners Enabled mean. should I endeavor to make them all to say Yes?
    Thanks,
    j2

Hello Josh2000,
    Check out this older thread for more help and information. It should be able to answer your questions. Basically it has to do with permissions and whether or not they are enabled on a particular volume or not.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11216732&#11216732
    B-rock

• I am getting an Narration error that I can't record because one of the record-enabled tracks is locked in the timeline. What does this mean and how do I get out of it??

I am getting an Narration error that I can't record because one of the record-enabled tracks is locked in the timeline. What does this mean and how do I get out of it??

JohnL23
    Thanks for the update.
    There are several Adobe Premiere Elements Forum threads about situation such as the one that you have encountered. Typically they are the results of some heavy activity in the narration track.  Some have found success in maneuvers between the Expert and Quick workspaces in versions 11 and 12 or Timeline and Sceneline workspaces in versions earlier than 11. That is why I mentioned that type of factor in a prior post in your thread.
    If that is not working, then we are forced into the new project where the problems in the current project are not presenting.
    I will do a search for the threads that I am recalling about your type of issue. But, right now all roads seem to head to the new project. But I would ask "Can you salvage this project by creating your narration clips in Audacity or a new Premiere Elements project and import them into this project, putting the clips on one of the numbered audio tracks?"
    If the problem should reappear in the new project, please let us know including the details of what was going on immediate before the problem surfaced.
    Thanks.
    ATR

• What does the message iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message mean

When trying to send a message with a video, i get the message,"iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message". What does this mean??

Old phone 5c
    yes to signal
    yes to make calls and text certain people but it wont text others who I hve texted in the past
    text some people but not others
    iphone was sold by the crrier they brag about iphone coverage

• What does "enable disk use" mean?

I'm on my ipod sync page, and a box is checked "enable disk use".  What does this do when it's checked?  I assume it allows access to my hard drive, or the ipod's hard drive, but I don't know.

If ticked the iPod will show up as a removable hard drive in Windows Explorer. You could then use it, for example, to transfer large files from one computer to another.
    tt2

• Enable virtualiza​tion

Hi,
    I have a Pavilion DV7-2260ed. It has the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz. It has hardware virtualization, but Virtual PC's detection application warns that the capability is disabled in the BIOS.
    My BIOS does not have an option to enable it.
     I have read on fora that the advanced options in the bios can be enabled. However, for this specific model there is no Flash file available.
    What can I do?
    Thank you,
    Kasper

Hi Lisa,
    I think i have found out what the problem is. On these two sites, i found my answer. 
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebo​oks/595505-current-hp-pavilion-bios-releases-13.ht​...
     Originally Posted by GreenFnatic 
    Hello,
    I'm the owner of a HP Pavilion Dv7-2215eb. The latest firmware is F.46. And i've updated to this one. 
    In the bios however I do not have the option to enable VT (Virtualization Technology). I've read some forums and apperently it's possible is some bios'es, and in some it's just not possible. I need it to be enabled for school, so this is a serious issue.
    Any solutions?
    Thanks in advance,
    GreenFnatic
    In your case, it is not possible for you to enable Intel VT because the CPU does not support this feature. (Your dv7-2215eb has an Intel Core 2 Duo T6600.)
    http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechno​logy
    Processor Family Supports Intel® VT-x Supports Intel® EPT                                                                     
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6000 Series T6670 T6570 Yes No T6600 T6500 T6400No No 
    It seems that my T6600 Duo core processor is unable to support VT-x.
    I do not have the enable Virtualization Technology option in my BIOS and also do not know how and if I can enable the advanced options. But now, I think it is not necessary anymore.
    Thank you for your reply though.
    kind regards,
    Kasper

• Why has my monitor suddenly begun to have a moiré pattern all over – it is even showing up on my icons on the dock? It appears to be very thin bright green vertical lines. I have a 2008 iMac which is running 10.6.8. What does this mean?

Why has my monitor suddenly begun to have a moiré pattern all over – it is even showing up on my icons on the dock? It appears to be very thin bright green vertical lines. I have a 2007 iMac which is running 10.6.8. What does this mean? I've attached some screen shots below.
    Also experiencing some funky issues with my wireless keyboard. With new batteries, it will just stop functioning. Certain keys intermittently won't work. Also the fans go on as soon as I turn the computer on - some times they stay on and sometimes they don't. Ever since upgrading the operating system - I've been having many issues with this iMac. Not happy. Any answers out there?

Thanks for your reply LexSchellings, There is no disc in the drive and I went through the suggestions you put forward on the phone with Apple support without any luck. I can put a disc in but it pops straight back out again without registering on finder.
    The idea of using an external drive was to enable me to avoid the cost and loss of productivity whilst machine in repair... if I have to take it in to get the old drive removed than I might as well have a new internal drive put in, although I do worry about the reliability of these apple drives given my experience with this one coupled with my limited online research ... on line forums seem to be full of people with the same problem (although perhaps searching such forums is bound to make it seem a common problem as users with perfectly working machines are less likely to post (?)) Your reply suggests that no external drive will work whilst the existing drive is in place.
    As a postscript: I do realise that this is a user forum ...my secondary question was asking if anyone knows how to put forward a case/complaint to Apple... I can't find a link on the support page that would enable me to do so and I was wondering if anyone on this user forum had any ideas/experience..

• I was playing with my ipad settings (it's an older model) and noted in the advanced settings of Safari there was a place to view website databases.  When I clicked on this I saw websites.  How do these get there and what does the space amount mean?

I was playing with my ipad settings and noted in he advanced settings of Safari there was a place to view "website databases".  When I selected this I saw a multitude of websites.
    Can anyone tell me how these get there?  Can a website be posted even if it was never went to?  What does the space amount mean?  For example, 1.5 kb...is this quite a bit?  Would it indicate someone has gone to a site multiple times?
    I share my ipad with my teenage daughter and I'm trying to find out if she's lying to me.  Obviously she's swearing that she has "no idea" how these got there and I'm trying to keep her safe (she's only 14).
    Thanks everyone.
    Concerned Mom

Think of your PC and the 'temporary internet folder' where it keeps cached copies of web pages or elements off a web page for 'quicker display the next time you visit'. That's pretty much what that folder is. 1.5K is tiny. Probably just a basic page with some text on it. (you might be confusing 1.5K with 1.5 megabyte....megabyte is large...it's roughly 1000 kilobytes, so the 1.5K is a tiny file)
    As far as I know, the only way info gets into that folder is if the browser has been to that site.
    if you have a concern there are browsers out there, McGruff is one i've seen recommended, that allow some degree of parental control and supervision. That or you could passcode lock the iPad or enable the restrictions to turn off some parts of the device to have some control.

• What does this message mean: "power pc applications are no longer supported"?

What does this message mean: you can not start because power pc applications are no longer supported?

Here is a post that I assembled for another who needed to continue to run his PowerPC applications in Lion/Mt. Lion:
    Unfortunately you got caught up in the minor miracle of Rosetta.  Originally licensed by Apple when it migrated from the PowerPC CPU platform that it had used from the mid-1990's until the Intel CPU platform in 2006, Rosetta allowed Mac users to continue to use their library of PPC software transparently in emulation.
    However, Apple's license to continue to use this technology expired with new releases of OS X commencing with Lion (and now Mountain Lion).  While educational efforts have been made over the last 6 years, the fact is that Rosetta was SO successful that many users were caught unaware UNTIL they upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion.
    Workarounds:
    1. If your Mac will support it, restore OS X Snow Leopard;
    2.  If your Mac will support it, partition your hard drive or add an external hard drive and install Snow Leopard into it and use the "dual-boot" method to choose between your PowerPC software or Lion/Mt. Lion;
    3.  Upgrade your software to Intel compatible versions, or find alternative software that will open your data files;
    3.  Install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels:
                                  [click on image to enlarge]
    Full Snow Leopard installation instructions here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439
    NOTE: STEP ONE of the instructions must currently be completed on a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac and the resulting modified Snow Leopard.cdr install file can then be moved over to your Mountain Lion Mac for completion of the remaining steps.
    NOTE 2:  Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization.

• What does the "remove option : press C" do in IMG 1.9?

I've noticed that you can press the "c" button to remove the option of a program in IMG 1.9.
    What does it do? I don't see anything happening.
    Is there a IMG 1.9 guide online somewhere? IMG 1.9 seems to have new features, and I'd like to have a better idea of what they are.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

molitar wrote:
    This is the most and UTTERLY **bleep** option!   You press C to watch in HD.. so you think you are selecting HD mode and bam!  there goes your modes!    What the **bleep** were they thinking?  **bleep** engineers have no common **bleep** sense!   Stupid modes should never be turned off that **bleep** easily the reason we set them is we want it enabled!
    I don't believe I've ever seen a post with more "bleeps" inserted by a mod.  Congratulations.

Maybe you are looking for