ESATA/USB combo port on T410?

It's listed in the specs as a eSATA/USB combo port.
I've looked at the port and I just don't see how a USB connector can fit in there.
So what does this mean exactly?
T410(2537) -- i7 620M - Intel HD GPU (1440 x 900) - 8GB RAM - 128GB Crucial M4 SSD - 250GB Hitachi HDD - Windows 7 & 8 Pro
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Its ok. Ive found out that in fact it isn't a combo port.
Thanks.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Is-the-eSATA-in-the-T510-powered-or-non-pow...
T410(2537) -- i7 620M - Intel HD GPU (1440 x 900) - 8GB RAM - 128GB Crucial M4 SSD - 250GB Hitachi HDD - Windows 7 & 8 Pro

Similar Messages

• Compaq Presario CQ61-424SA Laptop - eSATA/USB combo port does not allow eSATA connection

Hi,
    I recently purchased an external HDD with eSATA connection for use with my Compaq Presario CQ61-424SA laptop.
    The specification on the laptop states it has a eSATA/USB combo port however there doesn't appear to be one. On closer inspection there is 2 USB ports on the right hand side of the laptop (which work fine with USB devices) and one on the left which is slightly wider than the other 2 (which also works fine with USB devices). However when trying to connect an eSATA cable to the port it does not fit and on closer inspection it does not look like the conventional eSATA/USB combo ports.
    Does anyone know if this laptop was spec'd incorrectly or does indeed have an eSATA/USB combo port.
    The cable I'm using was supplied with the external HDD I brought with connections as shown in this link.. http://www.comesource.com/storeweb/images/cable%20esata%20to%20esata.jpg
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I am having the same problem with the "e-sata/usb shared port" , which does not look like a normal e-sata port, and the e-sata connector won't fit in it.
    Can anybody help us?

• ESATA/USB-Combo-Port on T520 connect to external Harddrive case

Hello.
    I have a eSATA/USB-Combo-Port on a T520. I think there are cables to connect a 2,5" Harddisk direct to the Port with only one cable for eSATA and Power.
    I am looking for an external case for a 2,5" Harddisk that have a USB-Port (to connect to other Computers) AND a Port for my eSATA/USB-Combo-Port.
    Does anyone know where to buy a suitable Case?
    I Want to connect the Disk to my T520 using the eSATA speed (with one cable) with the option to connect it to other computers who only have USB 2.0.
    Thank you very much.
    Jens

Hi Jens,
    I haven't thought to look for one of those before.  Is this the kind of thing you're after?
    http://www.amazon.com/eSATAp-eSATA-USB-External-enclosure-SATA/dp/B009OLHYLO
    http://www.amazon.com/eSATAp-Enclosure-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-43106/dp/B007VB79JG
    I think eSATAp is the key here, if I understand your question.
    [edit] the 1st link is an eSATAp only cable, so it doesn't help with your "other computer" connections.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• R700-S1330 Esata/USB combo port

Does anyone knows if Esata/USB combo port come with 5V power for both Esata and USB or just USB only?  Somehow I connected power over esata cable (Esatap) to my 2.5" SSD without 2.5" enclosure and can be detect.  But when I plug the cable to my bodie's Lenovo Y560 Esata/USB combo port, he seems able to get a detection.
    Anybody has any idea or had same problem before? 

Can we replace the ODD with an SSD in R700-S1331? I'd appreciate some detailed instructions on how to remove the ODD and install an SSD in its place. Thank you.

• Esata/usb combo port

HP Compaq Presario CQ61
    Does the combo port function as a standalone esata as well as a Usb port.
    I want to use the esata with my Hard Disk Docking Station but it appears not to work.
    It does work using the Usb option from the combo Usb part.

Enclosures are all over the place. That particular type of cable though is not. Though if you want it you may try emailing monoprice.com. If they can source it and feel it is worth selling they will get it in. They have done this in the past for me.
    http://sewelldirect.com/Koutech5V12VPowerOvereSATAcablewithSATAHDDAdapter_specs.asp?source=froogle&u...
    That being said, many of the descriptions i Have seen indicate this type of port actually uses Power Over eSATA and if that is the case then you can use the above adapter in a similar way.

• A665 USB combo port specs - Which one?, eSATA specs?

Ok, the specification sheet for the A665-s6057 and others of the A665 series say:
    4 USB v2.0 ports (3 USB _ 1 esata/USB combo with USB sleep and charge)
    OK, I'll bite:
    1. Which port is the sleep and charge/eSATA port?
    My  best guess is the one nearest the eSATA port
    More important, what's the speed of the eSATA port.  Is it limited to the USB 2 speed of 480 Mb/sec?

To answer your questions:
    1) Which port is the sleep and charge/eSATA port?
    Look like this and usually is found on the left side of a notebook from what I have seen although this is not always the case.  That being said, your owners manual from the box or that can be downloaded from Toshiba will tell you which port is and where.
    2) More important, what's the speed of the eSATA port.  Is it limited to the USB 2 speed of 480 Mb/sec?
    As for speeds, again, if not specified in the owners manual, check the following link for more info.  Specifically, read the eSATA and eSATAp sections about a quarter of the way down the page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

• W510 eSATA/USB2.0 combo port does not respond after waking up from sleep mode

Has anyone tried to connect external DVD/CD player or burner to the eSATA/USB combo port and experienced very slow system performance after waking up from sleep mode?  It might takes minutes to launch an application program that usually takes just few seconds.  My W510 can not even restart.  It will just stop at the Thinkpad logo if I tried to restart after waking up from sleep.
    The funny thing is if I moved the external DVD/CD player to the USB2.0 port in the back, everything went back to normal.  I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that the combo port has something to do with eSATA.
    Thanks

It seems that this problem is unique to my system. I am hoping that one of the Mac Guru's will have at least a pointer in the right direction.
    Thanks.

• T510i eSATA/USB3.0 combo port: eSATA cable doesn't fit

Hello,
    my T510i has a eSATA/USB3 combo port. I assume that an eSATA plug should fit in there. But the eSATA cable I bought doesn't fit. (It fits into my external hard drives eSATA port, though.)
    Can you help me with this, please?
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Ben
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi wt510,
    could you please post the Type and Model Number of your T510 along with the manufacture date, (shown after the s/n on the label), please do not post your s/n.
    Thanks in advance
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Add eSATA/USB 2.0 port to Lenovo G560 model 0679?

I have a Lenovo G560 model 0679 running Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 that does not have the shared eSATA/USB 2.0 port.  Can I buy parts to convert to this version?

you can buy converter for esata ( usb > esata ) but it will work as the speed your usb port supports.

• Pavilion dv6 2190us esata/usb port and Dual HDD Dock

When I connect  a dual HDD dock (BlacX Duet) to the esata/usb port only one drive is recognized.  Can this esata/usb port support dual sata drives?  How do I make it work?
    Windows 7  64-bit
    Core i7 Q 720 1.6Ghz

I have the exact same question with my DV6T I bought Nov 2009.  Did you ever get an answer?  I want to buy a dock that supports 2 sata drives and connects via 1 eSata cable to the laptop.  But before investing need to know if the eSata port is multi port aware as the docks require the laptop chipset be able to support. I emailed HP help desk without success so far.  Any info is appreciated...thanks.

• Esata/usb port

On my Protege R600-ST520W the eSATA/USB port works doesn't work all the time, I want to see if this is a software issue, is there some power setting or some aspect of XP that would not allow interfere with the eSATA/USB port?

It's a skewed view. people rarely post when their system is working right.
    The odds are it does not support port multiplying, you will need to get an express card adaptor that supports that.  I have one on my laptop and have a four drive esata bay attached to it with no issues.  I did notice on mine that when clean installing windows you want to disconnect the external drives, or they will be seen as the first drives by windows setup, and it will want to put boot files on them.
    Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
    For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
    Being super active is never a requirement

• MobileSTOR MS2UT + esata + USB + mac pro = never-ending problems

Hey gang,
    I seemed to have entered a perfect storm here:
    I had purchased the *MobileSTOR MS2UT 2 Bay SATA to eSATA/USB 2.0 RAID 0/1* Enclosure initially for a *dual 800 quicksilver G4* mac that I had, looking for a hardware-based Raid solution for back ups and to not burden the G4 processor. I have replaced the G4 with an early *2008 2.8 dual quad core mac pro*. After two machines and two different PCI sata cards, I've had no luck....
    (website for the above enclosure)
    http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilestor/ms2ut.html
    For starters, in the G4, I had a quality Seritek/1ve2+2 controller that had no problem with two other single drive enclosures, but failed with the MS2UT.
    http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1ve2plus2/
    A glib response from Seritek support says that I should use their enclosure. Digging around I find that I need a controller card that can handle a port multiplier enclosure rather than just any serial ata enclosure. Seems silly to me that the user has to dig for this. I mean the USB & FIREWIRE interfaces don't seem to care: it says USB/FIREWIRE on the effing box of both the controller and on the drive, badda-bing, badda boom: it works. Whats with this high maintenance of esata. Well you get roughly 2-3x the performance so Ok, maybe its worth it.
    Well, with the macpro on the horizon,, I give up on the G4, close that unsolved mystery. For the mac pro I figure PCIe, a modern computer, no problem. I get the computer, fish around the internet for an esata PCIe card, then I come across this review of the WiebeTech SilverSATA II which appears to be similar to that of the MobileSTOR:
    http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/wiebetech/silver2/
    It appears that the unit has specific tastes as far as having the right card to make it bootable, multiport aware, etc... (the Sonnet Tempo 4+4 card works but its a PCIx card, not PCIe)
    Like I said: install a bootable Mac OS on any USB/firewire drive, plug it into any card, and it works... estata... its russian roulette...
    Ok so I round up some vendors, (firmtek, sonnet, Highpoint) send them emails to see what they think: if their latest cards will work with the MS2UT... They are all over the place.. they think it may work, they dunno... it should work, they haven't tested it... then they try to push their own enclosure hardware on me. I mean see an astrologist or have your palm read.. it seems more likely you'll get a more accurate answer from them, rather than vendors... props to Sonnet, though, they list compatibility right on the page with their controller.
    then 10.6 comes out... and you email vendors about compatibility on that OS, and they don't even email you back.
    So I find this review of the highpoint rocket raid for the mac on the great sight: Barefeats.com
    http://www.barefeats.com/hard119.html
    to make a long story short:
    +KEY FEATURES of the "eSATA for Mac"+
    +1. Dual eSATA ports+
    +2. 32 and 64-bit EFI onboard+
    +3. Able to boot Mac OS X+
    +4. Plug and Play for (Oxford and Silicon Image chipset) external storage+
    enclosures
    +5. 4x PCIe rating+
    +6. Support for Direct Attached and Port Multiplied enclosures+
    +7. RAID 0, 1, 5, and JBOD support using browser-based manager+
    +8. Native support for Snow Leopard+
    +9. Compatible with 2006 - 2009 Mac Pro+
    I should be set, right? WRONG!
    I email highpoint, detailing that I planned to mix both Port multiplied (PM) and direct access (DA) enclosures on the same card at the same time. They say maybe (only describing the PM enclosure, not even mentioning the DA enclosure compatibility as I specified), since its a raid card and I intended to use it with an enclosure with its own raid hardware, however they say they see no issues. Well it shows they don't even know their own hardware: Their docks say that the card supports PM enclosures as well as DA (direct access) enclosures. Their web based software even shows the two as separate categories. What is buried in the manual and not cleared up by tech support or their product page is that YOU CAN'T MIX PM AND DA ENCLOSURES ON THE CARD AT THE SAME TIME!!! I explained more in the paragraph above than any tech support from any company. Unbelievable where support has gone these days.
    I discover the above because I found the card at Fry's believe it not and since they have a generous return policy I tried it out and learned the above the hard way. No dice on the MS2UT with what is perhaps the most forgiving esata card for the mac.
    So more hunting on the web, this time the enclosure's manufacture site: sans digital.
    http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilestor/ms2ut.html
    ...clicking on the accessories tab I find several esata adapter cards... funny that they include ones that don't appear to support PM enclosures... Anyway, I study two that state they supports port multipliers:
    http://www.sansdigital.com/adapters/ha-san-4espcix2.html:
    http://www.sansdigital.com/adapters/ha-dat-4espcie.html
    Ok, I may not get a bootable enclosure.. I just want to get this thing working in esata since cloning my internal raid on the mac pro takes 8 hours using usb, and my main purpose is to maintain a clone so I make my compromise.
    I should be set, right? WRONG!
    reading the fine print on both cards it says:
    *(Please note that the host adapter card is based on Silicon Image chipset, which currently only support up to MAC OS 10.5.1 by Silicon Image.)*
    I do more research, it seems any manufacturer using chips by Silicon Image will have an issue with 10.6 macs! On some websites it says Silicon Image will never release a driver. On firmtek it says they make their own driver and swears that it works. At the Silicon Image website they say they are an OEM provider so don't bother them, and that its up to the vendor to make a compatible driver. Sheesh!!
    I don't get it.. whats the point in having an esata sticker if it appears to come in more flavors than an ice cream shop!
    Oh and it gets better: I go to the sonnet site, thinking they have to have something that works, looking at their latest tempo SATA E4P:
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposatae4p.html
    well, the fine print is EXHAUSTIVE, but again props to Sonnet for making it crystal clear:
    (4) Sonnet Tempo cards are compatible with most external SATA storage. However, external hard drives with USB 2.0/eSATA dual interface based on the Oxford Semiconductor OXU931DS storage controller chip may not be compatible with Mac OS X when connected via SATA. Known issues are kernel panics occurring when the drive is connected, or the drive not being recognized by the operating system.
    +Summary of external SATA storage+
    +• Storage with eSATA alone +
    Compatible
    +• Storage with triple interfaces +
    Compatible
    +• Storage with eSATA plus Firewire 400 and/or 800 +
    Compatible
    +• Storage with port multiplier support (multiple drives) +
    Compatible
    +• Storage with RAID 0, 1, or 5 (multiple drives) +
    Compatible
    +• Storage with eSATA plus USB (based on JMicron 20366) +
    Compatible
    + these compatible drives include, but are not limited to:+
    +- OWC Mercury On-the-Go USB 2.0/eSATA 2.5" portable+
    +• Storage with eSATA plus USB (based on Oxford OXU931DS) +
    +not compatible+
    + these incompatible drives include, but are not limited to:+
    +- Western Digital My Book™ Premium ES Edition™+
    +- Seagate Technology FreeAgent™ Pro+
    +Advanced users note that this card is not yet compatible in full 64-bit boot. Snow Leopard default boots in 32-bit mode, except in an Xserve.+
    So in short: if you have an enclosure that has both USB and esata, but does not use the JMicron 20366, then it will not be recognized by the card. If you have an enclosure with three interfaes: USB, FW and esata, you're fine. Keep in mind too: most manufacturers don't put the source manufacturer of their chipsets on the box. So I ask..
    *HOW IS THE CONSUMER SUPPOSED TO KNOW!*
    I swear, a perfect analogy is if I go to best buy, buy a toshiba DVD player only to discover it doesn't play DVD's that contain movies produced by Sony Pictures..because its not a a Sony/columbia House movie. You think consumers would put up with that crap? UNBELIEVABLE...
    So now I have this really versatile enclosure that apparently can't run on Mac 10.6 with ANY esata controller for the mac. I really like the design of the enclosure, with its hardware based raid that is hot swappable and has a small footprint. However there seems to be no way to get a controller card for this device that will work on a 10.6 mac.
    I guess whats inferred is that you should get an enclosure with the fewest variety of ports, i.e. esata/fw/usb... ironically if it has all three, you are ok, but not if it has usb/esata. Being that USB is the most popular, thats not easy. I'm looking to contact Sans Digital to see if they will exchange it for me, possible for a model with esata/fw800 or an esata only model, if it exists. My last resort is to just use it as a USB drive (my intention was to use it as a clone of my system, with the added security that the enclosure makes a copy of a copy in raid 1), however its like 3x as time consuming than esata.
    If anyone has a working MobileSTOR MS2UT/wiebetech SilverSATA II in a 10.5 mac pro, please respond to me with your config. Thanks for reading!

Thank you hatter for your reply.
    I'm familiar with OWC, as I've done business with them since 2001, as well as XLR8.
    I have a 2008 mac pro so the 2009 model related problems are not an issue in my situation
    As I stated above I go to reputable vendors for my hardware who have specific mac experience. I look specifically for hardened compatibility so that there is support for things like deep sleep. The Sans Digital enclosure was over $200..it was not cheap. The USB/Esata combo is the most common interface for the enclosure storage market. Having a compatibility issue is a vendor fault, not the buyer. Having minutiae flavors of esata compatability based on chipsets roulette wheel is inexcusable. The enclosure needs that I have is for the medium to be removable and be able to be rebuilt at the hardware level, i.e. at the enclosure's control panel. To the mac its just a drive. The hotswap and back up is transparent to the OS and mac hardware, and allows me to change from raid 0/1 and do back up right from the enclosure interface.
    So far I haven't had problems with USB/Firewire. Meanwhile Esata to me has been nothing but beta testing for vendors and seeing how the chipset manufacturers have gone loosey-goosey on following spec and just dump cheap chinese crap into the market with no pride.
    for comparison:
    USB/FW, PATA, SATA, SCSI
    1) industry standard
    2) native drivers
    3) bootable. Period.
    4) buy a controller card/raid card, plug it in, format, it works even through major OS upgrades.
    5) USB/FW: Hot-swapable. Yes it really does work.
    Esata:
    1) Multiple standards (again, look at the Sonnet website to see the minefield one has to walk through to mate a controller card to an enclosure)
    2) non native drivers. Buying an esata card is like marrying into the vendors family. Plus if you manage to get things working and do an OS upgrade, you are playing russian roulette. If you system boots off it, then get life insurance because you may kill yourself.
    3)Not bootable and no one seems to care to explain why. Whats odd is that some earlier PCIx cards were bootable (like sonnet Temp 4x4) but their PCIe successors aren't. Not sure if this has to do with the host computer BIOS and/or the current chipsets from SI which rely on custom drivers from the vendors. Another lovely example of this are the ODD_SATA ports on the Mac pro: storage only, not bootable. Sure it makes sense now that I've learned it the hard way, however to users of FW/USB and even IDE, one would think that motherboard ports are bootable. Yes I know this is a mac bios thing and its not even considered as part of the feature set of the computer
    4) As I've shown, each controller card seems to be unique, even if its from the same vendor. Even the drivers vary from card to card! Heck even the vendors are unsure as to how compatible their controller cards are with various enclosures. That is proprietary, not industry standard. OS upgrades doesn't seem to provide native driver support for Direct access and/or port multiplying interfaces. The problem with this is that film/video users like myself like to build bullet proof systems, and with raids that I've built from IDE, FW, or USB, I've never had the minutiae of compatibility issues as I've had with esata. I installed an Acard raid controller in my dual 800 back in 2001, installed the drives and forgot about it. it just worked through multiple OS upgrades. Not sure whats gong on with esata.
    5) Can't call it hot swappable if I can't get the **** thing to wok in the first place.
    My analysis is this: Esata is basically a proprietary format to the vendor that sells the hardware, while USB/FW is an industry standard. I bought a quality enclosure that said "esata", I bought a quality controller that said "esata", it didn't work. I had to learn the hard way about DA and PM enclosures and now about chipset conflicts. I've built computers since the late 80's amiga days, hot-rodding that computer well beyond spec and with custom cooling. SCSI terminators and IDE master/slave issues were easy-cheesey because they followed straightforward rules. This esata stuff is just plain sloppy work on the part of vendors and as Danny Glover said I'm getting to old for this **** as far as being a beta tester for hardware.

• G770 USB 3 Port

I recently picked up this laptop and have been happy with it for the most part. 
    For the life of me I couldn't figure out which USB port was the 3.0. I read the manuals I examined the ports and nothing stood out seperating one from the other. As a matter of fact all my research says the port should be colored blue which makes sense as my external drive has a blue plug and it is USB 3.0.
    I finally had to call Lenovo for some help and after a bit of a search on his part he declared that the port closest to the HDMI port is the USB 3.0!
    Does anyone know if there's a way for me to tell which is which besides the supposed "blue" port?
    Just curious. Happy computing all!

usb 3 are allways blue.
    there a combo port in some that use esata that make use of usb as well.(some models)
    usb 3 only works on usb 3 items and there few and far inbetween.
    other wise it default to usb 2 mode.
    usb 3 is really only good for data tranfer items like hard disks pretty much that the only item that need that kinda speed and bandwith.

• HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551dn - Optional USB Device port

Hi, I'm hoping to buy the optional wireless print server (HP Jetdirect 2700w USB Wireless Print Server J8026A). There is one problem though, the optional USB device port seems to not exist on my printer. I only notice that the USB logo is present where the port is supposed to be. The plastic in the area is squared off as though it is some sort of break away tab and the port is underneath maybe.
    There is no reference to this in the manual anywhere and I am really unsure how to proceed. I don't want to damage anything.
    If someone experienced with this model (preferably an HP Employee) can confirm the availability of the port and tell me how to access it (Is it a break away tab?). Part of the reason why I bought this printer is the optional Wireless N print server.
    Thank You in advance.

Thank You for your reply. The port you are talking about is the front panel port for walk-up usb printing and firmware upgrades. This port is indeed available on the higher end LaserJet 500 (NON-MFP, printer only edition) as I just used it to upgrade the firmware. The port I am talking about is the one on the left side in the ports section which you use to plug in the optional print server (not the computer I/O port).
    This is shown in the official manual and the spec sheet so I'm 85% sure the port is there, hp can't advertise and mention something that is not available as this would be a big problem and make the 2700w print server incompatible when it clearly states that it is. I just need someone to confirm the availability and clear my confusion (either from HP, or another owner who bought the wireless print server 2700w).

• ESATA/USB Secure Hard Drive is not recongized

Hi all,
    I got this cool external hard drive in my work and it have been workin great... until now.
    I had it connected to my computer and then my wife turn that computer into hibernation (ohh no), and since that I can't get my computer (any computer) to recongize it. When I connect it I enter my pin and the LED turns green (static) but the computer do not recognize it, it does not even say "found new hardware" when connecting it to a computer (with or without entering pin)
    Please help, can I recover my data?
    Best regards
    Per

Hi,
    I had the same problem a few weeks appart with two 500GB eSATA/USB Secure Hard Drives. I had safely disconnected the drive but I only physically disconnected it hours later.
    After that, the disk wasn't recognized on any computer I tried it with (Windows or Linux, eSata or USB). After disconnecting the data cable, the led stayed green forever (usually it turns red a few seconds later).
    I was able to make it work again by performing a complete reset (but of course everything was erased and I had to re-partition the drive).
    Fortunately these drives are used for backups so I didn't lose any data. But it is worrying to know that we can't rely on it so much... It would be great to come up with a upgrade that would make the disk more robust for that kind of problems. I didn't find anything for this product on Lenovo's support website...
    Best regards,
    Nathalie

Maybe you are looking for