Failed hardware test on HDD, t520

Below are the only tests that i failed on the hardware scan in Lenovo Solution Center.  I ran an error check through windows explorer on the HDD and it found no errors.  Which one should i believe?  What is this telling me exactly? Thanks 

i would find out what make the hdd and download the hdd tool from the manufacture and test it

Similar Messages

• Disk Util"Filesystem verify or repair failed"& failed hardware test w/CD

Calling all mac gurus...
    My trusty MacBook Pro is starting to play up. i.e. crashing unexpectedly & at random, no particular program can cause the screen to dim and a box come up in different languages saying you must restart with a pic of the power button.
    the probs started around/after I deleted XP from the laptop, and ran the system upgrade(from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7)
    Disk Utility: I run the verify disk on the system volume. results with error:
    2009-08-08 17:46:04 +0100: Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Starting verification tool: 2009-08-08 17:46:04 +0100
    2009-08-08 17:46:04 +0100:
    2009-08-08 17:46:05 +0100: Performing live verification.
    2009-08-08 17:46:05 +0100: Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    2009-08-08 17:46:05 +0100: Checking Extents Overflow file.
    2009-08-08 17:46:05 +0100: Checking Catalog file.
    2009-08-08 17:46:30 +0100: Invalid extent entry
    2009-08-08 17:46:42 +0100: 2009-08-08 17:46:42 +0100: Incorrect block count for file CACHE_003
    2009-08-08 17:46:42 +0100: 2009-08-08 17:46:42 +0100: 2009-08-08 17:46:42 +0100: (It should be 279 instead of 282)
    2009-08-08 17:46:42 +0100: Checking multi-linked files.
    2009-08-08 17:46:58 +0100: Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: Checking Extended Attributes file.
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: Checking volume bitmap.
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: Checking volume information.
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: 2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100:
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100: Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed.
    2009-08-08 17:48:28 +0100:
    I have also run a hardware test after the disk verify didn't work from the install cd.
    results on hardware test:
    Last Run: 3/08/09 4:24 PM
    Version: 3A134
    Test Suite: Extended Test
    Loop Count: 2
    Result: Failed
    Failure code: 4MEM/12/40000000: 199640c8
    Any help would be much appreciated. as I use this Laptop for work, and cant really send it away anywhere to be fixed.
    Message was edited by: Mß

Mß wrote:
    so, I have done re-install from the OSX disk - the first time it failed. I think because I selected the option to keep the user profiles/settings etc, may have been a conflict between vers on OSX CD and vers on HDD? I don't know.
    No, it can do that. There are clearly other issues.
    anyway an error came back saying the disk was corrupt
    The install disc or the HD?
    now I thought that sorted it. but after doing the updates. and then going to repair the disk permissions/repair the disk it came back with same error. and also the hardware test is still failing.
    The system will never be stable until the HD directory is repaired.
    - is the version of the hardware tester I have not compatible with the OS or the firmware i have upgraded to? or does the tester just check the integrity of the hardware regardless of firmware & os vers.
    If this is the AHT disc that shipped with your MBP, it is fine, regardless of what OS you have installed.
    I really would prefer to not start from scratch again. But could this be an user account problem?
    No.
    I'll set up a new usr acct and use that for a while. just a pain to bring the files over from my current usr acct to the new one.
    I believe that's a waste of your time. As has already been stated, at least one of the issues is the damaged HD directory. Until/unless that is repaired, what you install on the HD isn't going to work correctly, if at all. The big question is, is some other part of the hardware causing the directory damage, or did the directory take a freak "hit" and repairing it will resolve things? It's quite possible that bad RAM or the logic board could have caused the directory damage. You're either going to have to bring it in to an Apple Store "genius" bar and see how much they'll test for free, or do some things yourself. For things you can do yourself, apart from trying one RAM module at a time, and running Repair Disk repeatedly (I don't think that's going to do it), you're going to need to either get your hands on Disk Warrior (or comparable utility), or a different HD, or try the HD in an external enclosure, or get your hands on some different RAM to try.

• Massive stability issues - Disk Utility repair failed, hardware test failed

Hi,
    I am having massive stability issues. The installer will not install anything, programs are quitting randomly, and it is getting very annoying!
    I read through a lot of posts and I have attempted to:
    Repair my disk using the install cd: but that failed.
    I did a Hardware test: but i had an error relating to fonts (?), couldn't see anything on the screen and I couldn't do anything.
    Is there something else I could do that I haven't tried?
    I have had my PB for a little over a year and have had no issues like this before. All of these issues seemed to start when I was playing a game and it suddenly just quit; I then couldn't go back into the game or re-install the game.
    Help!!
    12" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz   Mac OS X (10.4.6)   768 RAM

Hi, Dan.
    You wrote: "Repair my disk using the install cd: but that failed."That's a big problem. You won't get very far until the problems noted by Repair Disk, the function I presume you ran based on your description, are sorted out. It's possible the hard drive has failed.
    If the Apple Hardware Test failed, that's another significant problem. If it produces messages you can read that describe the failure, write them down. The machine may need to be serviced by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
    As to your next steps, first run the procedure specified in my "Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption" FAQ. Perform the steps therein in the order specified to see what's up with your disk and if anything can be done to correct that.
    Good luck!
    Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Note: The information provided in the link(s) above is freely available. However, because I own The X Lab™, a commercial Web site to which some of these links point, the Apple Discussions Terms of Use require I include the following disclosure statement with this post:
    I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

• V Ram failing Hardware test with error 2NVD/1/4:2122

Hello,
    I have been using my Mac now for just over a year now, it was a wonderful birthday present last October. I have had zero problems until now.
    Red wavey lines started to appear on the screen on and off for 2 - 3 minutes and then the Mac asked me to restart, after restarting the wavey red lines were constantly on the screen but it would not get to the login screen. I ran a hardware test which when reaching VRAM told me the above error code.
    Does anyone know how this can be fixed at all? or had a simelar problem?
    Thanks

Hi,
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you. Purchased my powerbook last july. Has worked like a charm until the last few weeks. My mac suddenly froze while playing Warcraft 3. After shutting it down, and rebooting it, i would get this message telling me that i had to restart my computer (from what i found out, that message was kernel panic). I've also had all these little lines on my screen, and while i couldnt get to my login screen under a normal boot, i could safe boot it. I've tried everything i could think of, from doing a disk utility repair, up to re-installing OSX. I finally took it in to an apple service center, and that's what it was. The VRAM failed the hardware test. The only cure is to replace the logic board... which means 750$(Canadian) + Labor + taxes. he said it would probably be around 900-1000$ to fix it. Now, considering this powerbook is worth about that amount of money on ebay, (in working condition), i am very dissapointed as my warranty expired about 2 months ago.
    Tough luck mate.
    Powerbook G4, 12'', 1.5 GHZ, 768MB RAM, 60GB, Combo   Mac OS X (10.4.8)  

• Failed hardware test

I have received the following test error for my lap top. Short DST: failed. Failure ID rqdu7s-53a6sf-xd0021-60w503 product ID wa781ua#aba. Hard disk 1. What do I need to do?
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hi,
    Your notebook is listed as coming with a 500Gb Hard Drive, but you can just as easily install a 750Gb HDD if you want a bit more space - the drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.
    500Gb Hard Drive
    750Gb Hard Drive.
    The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 53 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.
    Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive - this procedure is described in the HP document Here.
    If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.
    Order HP Recovery Discs.
    If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.
    If you live in the US, contact HP Here.
    If you are in another part of the world, start Here.
    Best regards,
    DP-K
    ****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
    ****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
    ****I don't work for HP****
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience

• Apple Hardware Test Error HDD- 1247?

After discovering that I had this utility I ran it and this is what I got:
    4M0T/4/40000003: HDD- 1247
    This appears to be the only error I received. I did a Google search but no info.
    What does this mean?

Call AppleCare and ask them. Alternatively, visit AppleCare's Express Lane.

• My Mac is doing strange things: delaying between users, mouse flickering and bouncing, gets stuck with rainbow wheel flickering. I ran the appel hardware test and it detected an error: 4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1233 Does anybody know what that means? HELP!

My imac is doing strange things:
    -delaying between users: when closing session it goes to blue, then takes a while to appear users signin box, and then wont recognize mouse command to enter until a couple of minutes later... then everything seems alright until....
    -it gets stuck between things, the rainbow wheel appears and its just delays there forever....
    -and every now and then the mouse starts flickering and bouncing wildly onscreen.
    I ran the appel hardware test and it detected an error:
    4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1233
    Does anybody know what that means? HELP!

WZZZ answered about where to get iStat. And do check the SMART status. If it is an overheating problem due to a fan or logic board problem, your hard drive is possibly cooking itself to death. If so it isn't a faulty hard drive even though the hard drive might fail. So assuming it's a temperature problem, even if you are able to repair things on the disk with software, that is working on symptoms, not causes. I could be wrong however.
    RE: AppleCare: Your iMac came with one year of AppleCare (Apple's warranty program), but within the first year you can buy 2 more years. You have to extend by the one year anniversary of purchase of the computer. Your 10,1 is too old to still be in the first year, and since you asked what it was, I'm sure you don't have it. Bottom line meaning is that whatever this problem turns out to be, you'll have to pay for it. Unless there is something like this. It is for 2011 iMacs with certain Seagate drives. You can put in your serial number for fun, but it looks like yours is too old. Lastly, some people have had Apple help them anyway if it is just out of warranty, but many have not. Your machine is one of these. Type in 10,1 in the search box. Is there an Apple Store near you? Just b/c it's out of warranty doesn't mean you shouldn't have it looked at by Apple. But no one here can say at all what Apple will or will not do.
    Hope you get it taken care of!

• Blue screen of death with HDD Hardware Test error on iMac HELP!!

My iMac is not starting up.  It just get the blue screen of death during startup.  It is a 2.66 mghz duo with 2gb 800 ram.  I was able to get the Hardware test to run and got an error of 4M0T/2/40000004: HDD-1560.  I am assuming it is an error with the internal hard drive since I have nothing else hooked up to the mac other than the keyboard and mouse right now.  Does this code mean my hard drive is completely shot?  Any help would be appreciated.

4M0T/2/40000004: HDD-1560.  
    Either failing or failed   
    You can have Apple replace the drive at a nearby Apple store or an Apple certified repair shop.
    Apple - Support - Check Your Service and Support Coverage

• Files/Folders Sticking to Mouse Pointer - Not Releasing (Reset PRAM & Apple Hardware Test Fail to Run)

I've been having two issues with my Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15-inch - Running OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).  Unable to Reset the PRAM and Run Apple Hardware Test (AHT).
    On a random basis - File/Folder icons are Sticking to the Mouse Pointer - Not Releasing.  I've done everything from trashing finder preferences, making sure Universal Access preferences are off, Restoring Defaults in the Energy Saver System Preferences, Resetting the System SMC.  Another post mentioned that this is being caused by the Graphics Driver not working correctly - and mentioned to put the MBP to sleep, then wake it up, and the files/folders are no longer sticking to the mouse pointer.  This works for me and released the sticking items in the Finder.
    OK, Good this is a simple fix, BUT, what is really causing this issue, and how may it be fixed or repaired?
    I also tried to Reset the PRAM and Run the Apple Hardware test (AHT), and these both fail to run on my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.5.
    1) Resetting the PRAM:
    Shut down the MBP, press the power button, and hold down at the same time <option><command>-P-R.  The Reset PRAM process never starts up, but rather I receive the Padlock/Password Login which logs me into the Restore System Utilities.  I'm unable to Reset the PRAM.
    2) Apple Hardware Test (AHT):
    Shut down the MBP, press the power button, and hold down the "D" key, the system boots up as normal and does not enter the AHT.
    The File/Folder Finder sticking to the mouse pointer issue is very annoying.  Does anyone have a solution to resolve this issue?
    - Cheers

HI Barbara,
    It sounds like the hard drive is failing or has failed. Boot from your Mac install disc and if you can run Disk Utility in case the startup disk needs repairs.
    Insert your install disk and Restart, holding down the "C" key until grey Apple appears.
    Go to Installer menu and launch Disk Utility.
    Select your HDD (manufacturer ID) in the left panel.
    Select First Aid in the Main panel.
    *(Check S.M.A.R.T Status of HDD at the bottom of right panel. It should say: Verified)*
    Click Repair Disk on the bottom right.
    If DU reports disk does not need repairs quit DU and restart.
    If DU reports errors Repair again and again until DU reports disk is repaired.
    When you are finished with DU, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Manager.
    Select your start up disk and click Restart
    While you have the Disk Utility window open, look at the bottom of the window. Where you see Capacity and Available. *Make sure there is always 10% to 15% free disk space*
    If you cannot boot from your install disc, try booting in Safe Mode
    What is Safe Mode
    Carolyn

• Hardware test: 4MOT/4/40000003. HDD-1342??

My iMac quad has been having 'issues' .
    Tried all sorts of diagnostic reboots, etc.
    Did a hardware test and got this message:
    4MOT/4/40000003. HDD-1342
    Anyone know what that code means??
    many thanks
    William - Middle of NowHere, Canada

This has been in other threads. MOT means motor as in fan motor, and HDD means hard drive. I think it means the logic board is no longer telling the fan motor nearest the hard drive to come on or speed up. Or the fan motor has failed, or the sensor on the drive. Can you hear the fan, or feel air blowing? Do you have iStat pro, which reports temps and fan speeds? Another poster thot it means the cooling isn't working around the hard drive and it has cooked itself due to lack of ventilation. In any event you need to have it looked at.

• I run a hardware test and it gave me the error code 4mot/4/40000003:HDD-1500: does anyone know what it means?

Hello,
    I have a problem of my iMac freezing up regularly for no obvious reason.
    So I ran a hardware test and it returns me only with the code  4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1500.
    I need some help to know what that means and how to repair my iMac.
    William

William, unfortunately it means your hard disk drive has or is failing and needs to be replaced. Hopefully you have a current backup or clone. You can have the drive replaced at an Apple Store or AASP or do it yourself if you're inclined by following the guide fir your specific iMac at http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Desktop

• Tool Tech Video ram says failed ....hardware test shows fan problems...

Tool Tech Video ram says failed ....hardware test shows fan problems...in reference to error 4MOT/1/0000003:HDD
    Anyone else experience this...and how is the fan a problems via hardware test but tool tech shows video ram failed?
    Any feedback is appreciated.Computer only 6 weeks old.......:-(

My computer listed as having failed the VRAM test as well, but when I installed the Tech Tool software, it gave me the warning that the results of the test were not yet reliable for 10.5 and it might not test correctly. I've had none of the problems the the VRAM failure listed, and assume it's just an issue with the new OS and Tech Tool not being on the same page yet. PS: I love my Mac...but don't we all?

• What are the meanings of Apple Hardware Test error codes 4m0t/4/40000003:hdd-1300 and 4m0t/4/40000003:hdd-1308?

what are the meanings of Apple Hardware Test error codes 4m0t/4/40000003:hdd-1300 and 4m0t/4/40000003:hdd-1308?

Thanks - Even though I'm years out of warranty I got chat help from Apple (I said they should help me since the codes aren't published.)  We covered three different questions, and although I didn't get a specific decoding of the error code, I got confirmation of what other comments here imply - it might have helped that I indicated I'd already been here - and useful links to how to do back ups, including to CD(s). (I don't have a lot of data on this computer yet)
    Now I need to figure out how to decide how hot-to-the-touch is "too hot" for the metal frame at the top of the iMac to decide whether I'm getting adequate fan performance or insufficient.  While chatting I initially reported it was cool at the bottom and warm at the top.  Apple hadn't asked, but their response prompted me to feel it again, and I'd say the top was hot, not warm - I updated but Apple didn't comment further except to conclude after addressing the other questions that I should take it in for further assessment - don't really want to bother with that.

• Apple Hardware Test (AHT) Hard Drive Full Read Fail But SMART Status OK

I have a Mac mini Server from Mid 2010 running Snow Leopard Server.
    Ocassionally, it'll freeze up with the spinning beachball wheel for a few minutes. This usually happens when opening an app or performing an app function from the menu bar. It's a pretty clean system—there are not many apps installed.
    I suspect it's a hadrware issue. I ran Disk Utility's Permission and Disk Repair. All good. SMART Status is verified. So I ran the Apple Hardware Test. Everything passes except for the Hard Drive's "Full Read"—it fails because "Reading took longer than the average time". The Hard Drive "Short .. test" and "Check SMART Status" pass.
    Does anyone have an idea of what's going on here? Is the hard drive the issue? I don't understand how there can be a read issue (or hard drive issue), when the SMART Status is verfied.

S.M.A.R.T isn't perfect. Neither is AHT for that matter, but if it is reporting that reading is taking longer than it should then an impending failure is likely. The occasional "wait cursor" appearance supports that diagnosis.
    Consider yourself fortunate in that you still have the ability to back up anything important, and you can plan a convenient time for its replacement.

• Apple Hardware Test on a late 2008 MBP new HDD

Hey Community!
    I own a Mac Book Pro - Late 2008 shipped with OSX 10.5.5. Currently I a new 500GB HDD and a 265 SDD are running in my MBP. The Super Drive is in an external USB Housing. Current OS X is version 10.7.1.
    I need to run the Apple Hardware Test, because sometimes the system seems to freeze for at least 30 seconds.
    What I've already tried:
    *) Holding down "D" at the startup -> nothing happens, normal startup
    *) setting start volume to external fire wire optical drive, insert 10.5.5. Installation disc, restart, holding down "D" -> startup with installation wizard
    *) same with 10.6 Installation disc
    *) same with choosing the Backup Partition when holding down "Alt" at startup and then pressing "D"
    Always, I was connected via WIFI and Ethernet.
    Can someone give me an advise how to run the Apple Hardware Test, or how to reinstall it on the new SDD Harddrive, where my system is mounted?
    Thank u and greetings from Austria
    Claudio

Try using your disk utility to read the drives. I'm not at my computer now but if you go into utilities->disk utility you might be able to solve it from there.
    Also try holding down the C key on boot or esc.

Maybe you are looking for