Fan error fixed, but for how long? (T410)

Hello, I recently inherited a Lenovo T410 (2518), which was a former work computer. The warranty would have expired around mid last year, and I gather it had been in office use since around 2010. I don't think it would have been doing any intensive processor heavy work either. Soon after I got it, I started getting the "fan error" message when booting up, which I understand is quite common with these models. I gave the computer to a friend of a friend, who works in IT. He was able to fix the issue by taking the computer apart and spraying the fan with some kind of expensive silicone spray. What troubled me is that when he gave it back, he said that it could work for another 5 years or 5 minutes! He also said that if it were to fail again, it wouldn't be worth repairing. Has anyone else ever fixed their fan error in the same way, with good results? Or is it best to replace the fan - and if so, are there good instructions on how to do that? Thanks

Thanks! That should be enough info, indeed. But before ordering a new fan I would check if it's not blocked by dust bunnies, could you please try the following?
Remove the battery and disconnect the laptop from the AC adapter
Download the hardware maintenance manual from here:  click me!
Check chapter 1080 on how to remove the keyboard
No need to disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard, is enough if you lift it and move it down a little
Check if the fan is dirty/dusty. If yes, first block it from spinning using your finger and apply compressed air to the blades (see this article <here>, it's in Spanish but you can see the pictures how to clean the fan)
Connect the AC adapter again
Turn on the T410, do you still get the fan error? Or do you get the error and the fan is still moving?
Report the findings here and we see what steps should follow

Similar Messages

• Ironport still blocking due to poor reputation...but for how long ?!

Hi everyone,
    Ten days ago hacker compromised user's account on one of our academic linux systems and managed to send high volume of spam messages.
    Result in a couple of hours: our mail server's IP got blacklisted and we got burned. ;(
    Seven days later our IP address is no more blacklisted, according to ie. http://multirbl.valli.org/dnsbl-lookup/ and couple of others DNSBL listings (Spamcop, Sorbs, Spamhaus, Abuseat.org etc.)  Great, we are again able to send email using our mail server's  IP.
    However, we are STILL NOT able to send email to other parties which use Cisco Ironport email technology, being still blocked in the very beginning of SMTP conversation namely EHLO SMTP client command ..... :
    $telnet host.example.com 25
    Trying host.example.com...
    Connected to host.example.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    554-ironport.example.com
    554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    I understand it's due to a poor reputation we "won" ourselves which can bee seen at Cisco IronPort SenderBase Security Network; http://www.senderbase.org/
    Finally, my question:
    How much longer should we wait until our reputation gets better? How can we resolve our issues with ironport email security?
    Should we just "move" our SMTP server to another IP address (and make accordingly new rDNS entry) and forget the whole thing ever happened?
    I suppose nothing of this would had happened if we have had ironport email security in the first place.
    Any feedback really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Kind regards,
    Krunoslav.

Hi Andreas,
    Thank you for your kind reply.
    Botom line: Two days after my post, senderbase cleared us out and everything is again OK. We are again in "good reputation". All ironport appliances which got us blocked in the first place probably got updated (I presume) and all queued emails went out almost in a "burst mode".
    I would say it was a very sudden change apparently in ironport appliances due to a change in reputation.
    I checked my SMTP logs and concluded that it took us exactly 7 days without being listed on any of blacklists senderbase uses to finally be cleared from it. I'd say one need 7 "incident-free" days for your reputation to get better.
    That's my final conclusion after some deep drilling in my system logs.
    btw, no other IP address in our /24 RIPE allocated IP address range was mentioned in senderbase.
    I did contact one network admin about aforementioned senderbase settings in his ironport but I got very descriptive answer - "....default settings...."    ... so I suppose it's up to me to figure out what these "default senderbase settings" are....  anyway , I don't have access to such cisco tehnical documentation so it was a clear shot in the dark....
    Kind regards.
    Krunoslav

• What and for how long additional OR separate benefits I receive after buying Apple Care?

I bought a MBA 13" in India (home) last month.
    I wanted to know about Apple Care / Extended warranty that is available for sth like ~15K (INR).
    Can you please give me a detail as in what do I get with this for my Mac and for how long?
    Can I buy this before the day my current/default warranty expires or shall I have to buy this within some stipulated period from the day of purchase of my Mac?
    What is already available for my Mac as of now and for how long? Shall anything be added to warranty or care that is available with my Mac as of now? Shall be added right from the day I buy it or it will happen so after my current warranty/care gets used up i.e. after completion or 1 year or for whatever period MBAs comes with care/warranty. So, these extended warranty simply increases the number of years on my protection plan or gives additional cookies?
    If I buy an iPhone5 then shall I have to purchase separate apple care for that? Or is it available for all my Apple products? Or if not then are there such plans that I can buy to cover all or many of my apple products and are cheaper as a combined purchase?
    Within that period if let's say my Keypad fails screen goes kaput then Apple will either fix it/replace it or it will ask for extra money if it needs replacement? Or will ask for extra money even if it was not accidental damage (my fault)? I read sth about accidental damage with AppleCare purchase - it adds to the first year also or only during the next two years (or next 3 years - not sure how long it holds).
    Shall I have to buy it offline or i can buy it online too? What if I buy from another country (online/offline) if it's available for cheap over there?
    I see some deals on such packages on eBay - mostly on USA eBay, and have read posts people buying it but they were mostly from USA/EU. Can I buy one of those? Shall they be valid for my product(s)?
    By the way, does Apple provide an email support with those plans because I couldn't find one email address for Apple support.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

• Minimum Voltage for how long?

Minimum Voltage for how long b/4 it f's something up?
    I just found that my V-core is only 1.28v. And it has to be due to the 12 volt only being 12A I hadn't noticed that this was bad until I ran Sandra. I can't get it over that mark even by cranking it up in the bios. What should the amps be? I know I have read all the best power supplies posts but I gather that the 12v is for the processor so that should be the highest. But any damage at my current voltage? I have been running it for a week.

did you plug in both mobo plugs. the small 4 pin is also a 12v supply.
    if the psu had two main leads you spread out the load on both leads to your drives fans etc.
    look on the back of you psu(or top there should be a sticker with max loads etc what does that say, while your at it, check to make sure red 115V/220V swithch is is right spot ie..115 vfor us
    the 12A was on label? under what? input current
    I have a compusa 600W precision power, which i am sure is a cheapo unit
    but it has 30A +5v..25A+3.3v..28A..+12v...6A-12v...6A -12v..2A+5vsb
    +3,+5+12 max combined load is 570W input current 11A for 115v
    12a is way low I think the cpu is @9amps by its self.
    you have 3 hd and 2 dvd/cd's
    ...I would run to the store and get a new psu pronto.
    I have read underpowering can damage also, but not as bad as overpowering.
    But broke is broke

• My phone number will exist for how long?

Dear,
    Excuse my bad English!
    I want buy one us number. But I need to know?
    My phone number will exist for how long? If I stop the service for some time and then reused. I can not take back my old number? Or minimal cost to maintain my phone number is how much?
    Thanks

Thank you Great community

• Sandbox is down during this week, why and for how long?

I'm trying to test if the IAPs are working correctly on the project I'm working on, as I kept receiving from Xcode an error which says "cannot connect to the itunes store" and error code 2 I did some research and it looks like sandbox is down according to this link http://www.websitedown.info/sandbox.itunes.apple.com .
    Does anyone know why is down and for how long? Any other way to test IAPs in case sandbox is down?
    thanks.

We are also unable to test IAP. The error is "Cannot connect to iTunes Store". Plus, it sometimes offers to sign in to already signed out account, instead to confirm password for currently signed in account. We have tested previosly working IAP code, and it reports the error now as well.

• For how long 10.6 will get security updates?

Some days ago I downgraded to 10.6 from 10.7 (on my white MacBook early 2008) and with 10.6 it's so much faster. It boots up with 15 seconds while in 10.7 it does about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
    Applications open more quickly and everything. I've just realized that my computer wasn't made for 10.7 exactly. I'd like to use 10.6 as long as possible, because I love the OS. It's perfect.
    For how long it'll recieve security updates? Some days ago I read some post that 10.6 will be like Microsoft Windows XP (Supported for a very long time).
    What do you think?
    Will most developers still support 10.6 ( and will it recieve security updates) about a year later ?

White-1 wrote:
    So it's not because of most mac users use 10.6?
    Most Mac users are on 10.6, about 40-45% of them. 12% are on 10.5 (likely PPC) and 3% still on 10.4.
    Apple doesn't support 10.4 or 10.5 any longer. However they do support 10.6.
    OS X 10.8 was released only a year after 10.7, so they got about 20% market share each.
    But how long do you think they'll support it more?
    Will it become Apple's XP?
    Apple just released a security update for 10.6, so they are certainly paying attention to it.
    Also like was mentioned AppStore is on 10.6.8, so for the interests of security Apple has to kind of pay attention to 10.6.8 as to prevent it being used to get into AppStore.
    Also they don't want another flashback incident on their hands by ignoring too many of their users for security updates.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback
    Apple also released iTunes 11 for 10.6.8 too.
    However Apple didn't release Safari 6 for 10.6.8, so you need to use Firefox as it gets updates and more rapidly than Safari.
    Some days ago I downgraded to 10.6 from 10.7 (on my white MacBook early 2008) and with 10.6 it's so much faster. It boots up with 15 seconds while in 10.7 it does about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
    Applications open more quickly and everything. I've just realized that my computer wasn't made for 10.7 exactly. I'd like to use 10.6 as long as possible, because I love the OS. It's perfect.
    I couldn't agree with you any more. Running 10.6.8 on the latest top of the line Early 2011 17" that will run it and it SCREAMS.
    10.7/10.8 are absolutely crap, bloated, stupid and ugly.
    For your old white 2008 machine that's 5 years old, 10.6 is the best for it. So you were right to downgrade.
    Since your machine is at it's end of life stage, you might not have to worry about Apple leaving 10.6 for security updates, it might die before Apple leaves it behind.

• Can i put an unavailable message as a response to text messages so people who are texting me will know that I am unavailable and for how long?

I'm going to be out of the country for a few weeks.  I have an iPhone 4s.  Can I put an unavailable message as a response to text messages so people who are texting me will know that I am unavailable and for how long?

No. Sorry. Check with your carrier. Perhaps they offer such a service.

• Is there a time limit for how long a free form can be used/accessed?

Is there a time limit for how long a free form that is created can be used/accessed, or is it soely dependent upon when the 50 respondent max has been reached?  I am creating a form now, that will likely be distributed in early January, and I want it to be accessible through the end of June, 2013.  (I am simply using the option to create a single form for free- not the 30-day trial). 

There is no time limit. The limit is the 50 responses.

• What SQL Server Agent jobs are currently running and for how long

Is there a way to tell what SQL Server Agent jobs are currently running and for how long?  View history isn't working in my case because it's only showing completed jobs.  John Schroeder

You can use the "Job Activity Monitor" for doing this.  Do the following steps. It will open up the Job Activity Monitor.
    1.    In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, and then expand that instance.
    2.    Expand SQL Server Agent.
    3.    Right-click Job Activity Monitor and click View Job Activity.
    4.    In the Job Activity Monitor, you can view details about each job that is defined for this server.
    In Job Activity Monitor page, we have column called Status. It will indicate whether job is executing or idle. Last Run column will give you the last invocation time of this job.
    Use the following link for further reference.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187449.aspx
    Thanks,
    Sateesh.
    Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

• HT1657 For how long can i keep a rental movie?

For how long can you keep a rental movies ?

Thirty days from the day of purchase, or 24/48 hours from the time you start playing it, whichever comes first.
    (73214)

• For how long the library Cache latch is hold.

Hi ,
    For how long the library Cache latch is hold.
    Is it hold , till the new sql is placed in the library cache
    or
    Till it got parsed
    or
    Till it got executed?
    Thanks
    Naveen.

Hi ,
    For how long the library Cache latch is hold.
    Is it hold , till the new sql is placed in the library cache
    or
    Till it got parsed
    or
    Till it got executed?
    Thanks
    Naveen.

• HT201304 my i phone says its disabled until i die just jokes but for a long time and i cant figure out what to do its my phone

my i phone says its disabled until i die just jokes but for a long time and i cant figure out what to do its my phone

Follow the instructions in this support document for a disabled iPhone. iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

• For how long ASA with AIP 20 keeps events?

I have ASA5520 with AIP SSM 20 and I am using IPS Manager Express. For how long can AIP keep IPS events? How can I save events before the logs are recycled?
    Thanks in advance

Have a look at the following post:
    http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=Intrusion%20Prevention%20Systems/IDS&topicID=.ee6e1fc&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dde8f9b
    Please rate helpful posts.
    Also please note that IME has its own database (on the PC where its installed).
    Regards
    Farrukh

• HT201472 for how long my iphone can be on lost mode ??

for how long my iphone can be on lost mode ??

Welcome to the Apple Community.
    Unitil you stop it.

Maybe you are looking for

• Can not copy X11 to the clipboard in OS 10.5.7

After updated to the recent version of Mac OS X (10.5.7), I found it is no longer able to copy any thing from an X11 application like Emacs to other Mac applications. Anyone has the same experience and how to go around it? Thank you. lou

• Lumia 620 overheating on 3G network

I've been using my lumia on DOCOMO 3G network and found that its back portion, particularly the camera region gets incredulously hot. I dont face the same problem while on 2G network. Is something wrong with my phone, or all the 620s or is it a commo

• Need the following reports...urgent!!!

Hi Gurus..... •A detailed report for listing goods receipts by material wise for a given period which contains detailed information like PO No, PO Date, Plant, GR ref, GR date, Material description. [Tables involved: EKKO, EKPO, MSEG, MARA, MKPF, MKE

• How to get the local date time value

Hi, I am Australian time zone. I have been using the below code to retrieve meeting start date time from my Sharepoint Calendar. Console.WriteLine((DateTime)oListItem["EndDate"]); This used to return the correct local date up until today. I simply re

• Merge two versions of my website?

I have saved two versions of my website and would like to 'transfer' a couple of the pages from one to the other to make the perfect one. The master pages are the same in both. Is that possible? I can't even open the two versions at the same time.