Format C drive with BIOS on Lenovo ThinkPad T400

I would like to format my C:/ drive with BIOS to install my OS new.
Formatting with a windows Install CD doesn't work as I get the error message: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. .....STOP: 0x0000007B"
When I enter BIOS through (Ctrl+P) after defining a new password it doesn't give any options where I can format the drives.  Please let me know how chan I format the C drive through BIOS. Thank you for your time.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

This definitely helped. After pressing F1 I finally landed in BIOS, set the CD as the first boot device, changed SATA to compatibility mode. Now I am finally formatting the C drive.
My next computer wont run with Windows, I am sick of it that the performance is decreasing with every new update and I need to reinstall the OS on yearly basis.
Thank  you for your help, much appreciated.

Similar Messages

• How to format Windows drive with Mac OS format

Hello
    I have a Windows 160gb internal drive that is formated in Fat32. I am unable to format this drive with Mac OS X 10.3.9 in order to install Tiger 10.4. When I attempt to format using the Mac OS extended (journaled), I receive an error (sorry I didn't write it down) partition error. If I use the Mac OS extended option I recieve an error that the drive can not be unmounted.
    How can I format this 160gb drive with Mac OS format so that I may install Mac OS X 10.4
    Thank you

Do the following:
    Extended Hard Drive Preparation
    1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder. If you need to reformat your startup volume, then you must boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger or Leopard.)
    2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (only required for Intel Macs) then click on the OK button. Set the number of partitions from the dropdown menu (use 1 partition unless you wish to make more.) Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the volume(s) mount on the Desktop.
    4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
    5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
    6. Click on the Erase button. The format process will take 30 minutes to an hour or more depending upon the drive size.
    Steps 4-6 are optional but should be used on a drive that has never been formatted before, if the format type is not Mac OS Extended, if the partition scheme has been changed, or if a different operating system (not OS X) has been installed on the drive.

• Formatting Hard Drive with NTFS instead of FAT32 on E1550

Is there a way to format the storage hard drive plugged into the USB port using the NTFS format.
    When  using FAT32 the backup software chunks backup files into 4GB blocks.  I am told to avoid that I need format the drive with NTFS format to avoid this.
    However, the Cisco Connect does not offer a choice on how to format the hard drive. 
    It was originally formatted with NTFS, but then I had permission problems and it would not allow me to add the "admin" administrator. 
    Is there a way I can format the drive using NTFS and still keep the correct permissions configured?
    Thank you,
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I have seen those instructions and I am not getting the same information on the screen they say I should.
    I plugged the storage drive into my computer and reformatted it to the NTFS format.  I even created a folder under the root called "Backup." 
    But when I plug that drive back into the E1550 and go to the "Disk" tab it shows:
    Detecting...
    Partition
    File System
    Capacity
    Free Space
    Create Share
    Total
    232.885 GB
    232.885 GB
    It sees something there but it is not recognizing it and as such I do not have permissions to create shared storage.
    If I select the FORMAT option at the bottom of the page, then it reformats it to FAT32 and is accessable, but it is not the correct format I need for the backup program.  I need NTFS.

• Problem to come back from sleep mode in Lenovo Thinkpad T400 using Windows XP

Problem to come back from sleep mode  in Lenovo Thinkpad T400 using Windows XP. Each time closing the T400 lid and try to make the laptop into a sleep mode for some time, it does not properly come out of sleep mode. Login screen is able to see when opening the lid for the first time, but it only seen for a while before then a black screen on T400 Thinkpad appears. Sometime the hard drive activity can be shown also. And then, to come back I had only one option to hard re-boot.
    I tried Fn+F4 and power button once to come back but no use.
    Please provide me some solution for this?
    Thanks in Advance.

oh sorry and its been closed inbetween uses. When i open it the keyboard doesn't light up and it makes no sound.

• IBM Lenovo ThinkPad T400

IBM Lenovo ThinkPad T400 7417 PC Notebook
    My cursor jumps lines automatically when typing. How do I adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad?

The Corsair have a known compatibility issue with older ThinkPad (and dual ram slot ThinkPads). While, some Kingston also has compatibility issues with ThinkPad, especially those 1333 mhz and 1600 mhz one.
    Can you try something like Samsung ram?
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Cd/dvd drive not found, can I format hard drive with an external cd/dvd drive. If so how?

My cd/dvd drive quit working and is not found in device manager so I purchased an external cd/dvd rw.  Now I am having other issues with installing software and windows updates so I would like to format hard drive.  Can this be done with external cd drive, if so how do I boot from it?  presario v6000 laptop windows vista 32bit os.

Restart the notebook >> start tapping F10 key >> go to configuration menu >> Boot Order >> select the Ext DVD drive as 1st boot device >> save and exit >> Insert the recovery disc >> restart the PC >> press any key when prompted >> follow the instructions..
    ||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
    //Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//
    ||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||

• Problems formatting external drive with Disk Utility

Hi all
    I'm having some odd troubles with using Disk Utility to format an external hard drive. For some reason, it is giving me all sorts of errors and problems.
    Currently, it will let me format the drive in MS-FAT, but won't let me copy certain files to it (it gives an error code). I'm currently trying to re-format the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but the status bar give me the following error and continues to do its 'pondering' instead of giving me a progress bar:
    !http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5019/picture2csm.png!
    It is currently sitting like that, not doing anything (not even going unresponsive).
    What am I doing wrong here?
    Cheers.

Wait, scratch that, it suddenly started working again.
    For some reason, I had to partition it, with one partition a Mac OS partition and the other an MS-DOS FAT... hey ho, no idea.

• How to view windows Xp formatted hard drive with Macbook pro without losing data

How to view Windows Xp programed Hard drive with Macbook pro with out losing data on hardrive

Go to the First Aid tab in Disk Utility, select the external drive partition and read the format from the lower left, at the bottom.

• How do I format a drive with Mac OS X?

I have a hard drive from my dead iMac I want to format to use as a backup. What is the command or process for mac to format the drive. On a PC it is simply Fdisk

Extended Hard Drive Preparation
    1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
    2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

• Format External Drive with Disk Utility, Make it Windows Compatible

I have formatted my external drive using disk utility, and it works great on my Mac. But no Windows PC can read it, and I need to use it on Windows PCs. I tried formatting as MS-DOS FAT but that didn't work either. What can I do?
    Thanks so much in advance.

I've run into the problem fairly regularly were I format a drive as FAT32 on the Mac, but Windows won't read it. I just reformat it from the Windows machine as FAT32. My Mac always reads and writes to it just fine, so it has never been a problem, just a minor mystery.
    Francine
    Francine
    Schwieder

• Format External Drive with 2 partitions (NTFS & Mac OS  Extended)

I have a 300GB external hard drive. I need to format it into 2 partitions so I can backup my PC and my Powerbook.
    I need two partitions:
    1 x Mac OS Extended 75GB
    1 x NTFS 225GB
    Does anyone know how to do this (possibly with 3rd party software)?
    I have Partition Magic on the PC.
    Thanks.
    17" Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz   Mac OS X (10.4.5)  

greg:
    I think you are more likely to get help if you post your topic in the hardware forum for the 17" G4 PB.
    Good luck.
    cornelius
    PismoG4 550, 100GB 5400 Toshiba internal, 1 GB RAM; Pismo 500 OS (10.4.4)   Mac OS X (10.4.5)   Beige G3 OS 8.6

• Can you really not use a windows-formatted hard drive with Time Machine?

I still have people in my household that think Windows is the way to go, and so they have used all the hard drives to back up their stuff.
    There is still a reasonable amount of room on one of the hard drives for me to do a Time Machine backup, however it is obviously formatted to Windows.
    Is there ANY way the hard drive can be used with both systems?
    It's a bit of a bummer if I have to shell out for a new one just for my MacBook!
    Thanks

Do you mean you want to connect a USB drive to the TC?  If so, it will recognize a disk formatted in FAT32, but not ExFAT or NTFS.
    If you mean you want a Windoze-like partition on the TC's internal HD, that's a bit trickier, since it can't be partitioned.  But you could create a disk image on it via Disk Utility, formatted MS-DOS (FAT) aka FAT32, or ExFAT  (I'm not entirely sure if ExFAT would work in a disk image there, but it might.)

• Can't format HHD drive with admin User

MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2010
    Processor 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
    250 GB Storage
    I'm login on admin user, but can't format my HHD to clean install., I have an installer USB with OS X Mountain Lion, when restart (even in root user) in the disk utility, can't erase or make a new partition to format the hard drive.
    In the pict you can see the system can't let me even change login in admin user.
    Thanks in advance.

Disable FileVault, make your changes, and reenable it.
    27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

• ExFat formatted thumb drive with Officejet Pro 8600

It seems that the Officejet Pro 8600 cannot save scans to a USB drive formatted as ExFat. Can anyone confirm?
    Thanks.

Hello there! Welcome to the forums @vikrantislav ,
    I read about the issue you are having with saving your scans to a USB drive formatted as ExFat. I have done a few searches for this and I'd suggest checking this post from my colleague @Gemini02 . Click here to see it, I hope it helps!
    Re: Scanning to USB Flash Drive does not create a PDF file
    Have a great weekend!
    R a i n b o w 7000I work on behalf of HP
    Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say
    “Thanks” for helping!
    Click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution!

• How to format hard drive with mac air for use on mac and pc

I'm new to MAC and can't make much sence of what has been said to do in other questions. All I want to be able to do is use my 500gb My Passport hard drive on my MAC and other PC's. I have saved all the data that I want to keep on another hard drive so can re-format the hard drive if needed. I want to do all the set up on my MAC AIR.
    Please help,
    Cheers Hutch

Reading assignment:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
    Ciao.

Maybe you are looking for

• How do i change the size of a select list?

Hello everyone, I know this is probably a newbie questiopn but i spent some time trying and already browsed for the forum to look and found nothing related to it. I m using apex 3.1, and i would like to know in what part of the item i define it's siz

• Motion graphics

Hi there, I have a 1160 ( height in pixels ) and a 640 ( width in pixels ) texture of an asphalt road that I made. I need to have this appear as if the road is moving. Is there a way in photoshop with motion graphics to accomplish this? Is there a wa

• Installing EBS 11i (11.5.10.2)

Hi All, I have installed EBS 11i before many times , and each time I install in another server (linux) i encounter different error. My error now is that the gui window installer just closed suddenly without completing. I tried to restart it many time

• Fix for Cortana to those out there with Wifi problems or Cortana not connecting to the internet.

Hi, If you are talking to Cortana and she says 'I can't connect to the Internet',Hard reset your Lumia phone.This will completely work as I had the same problem on my Lumia 530 and I hard reset it and Cortana worked fine,and she didn't say 'I can't c

• Dreamweaver CS6 stalls in welcome window

I opened a course selection file on line which proceeded to open up DW. Now when I open DW it stalls in the welcome window. I re-installed, deleted the cache, and renamed the preferences file and nothing has helped. I am running Mavericks 10.9.4. It'