Formatting Hardrive T22

I purchased a 130GB hardrive for my T22 Thinkpad. I used the Windows 2000 recovery CD that came with the computer to set up my operating system on the new hardrive.  The recovery CD only formatted 65GB. The remaining 65 GB are unusable.  When I ran the recovery cd I do not remember seeing any screen that allowed me to select the amount of Harddrive space that I wished to format.  It looks like it defaults to 65 GB automatically.
1) Is there any way to utilize this extra space using the recovery CD?
2) Do I need to reinstall my operating system to take advantage of the remaining storage, or is there a way to format this extra space separately without effecting the 65GB that has already been formatted?
3) Does the Thinkpad T22 have a limit on the size of the hardrive that can be used?

Welcome to the forum!
Since you're running W2K, you'll have to start from scratch, formatting the drive all over again, then creating two partitions, and installing the OS.
Your machine, with XP, would be able to utilize all 130GB in a single partition. This might have been fixed in W2K SP4, but am not quite sure...what I'm sure is that recovery disks are NOT SP4...
Hope this helps. 
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• Format hardrive on imac with 10.7.5

How do I format my imac hardrive using 10.7.5

If you mean the boot drive, you can format the boot partition, the one on which the system is installed, by booting to the Recovery Partition and running Disk Utility. If you want to repartition and erase the entire drive, you'll have to use OS X Internet Recovery. See:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
    Regards.

• Equium A210 - Known good cd/dvd drive not recognised by BIOS

I have tried several cd dvd drives in this unit but the BIOS has "none" against the optical drive..
    the drives are good units as they work with a USB caddy on another machine..
    I need the optical drive to work so that I can re-install, as the hard disk has now become corrupted. The recovery seems to require the laptop to boot from the CD drive.
    If there any suggestions on how I can install onto a formatted hardrive, without using a usb cd drive, that would be cool..

> the drives are good units as they work with a USB caddy on another machine
    The BIOS does not recognize the CD/DVD drive because of wrong master/slave/c-sel settings. You have to use a compatible CD/DVD drive. Such CD/DVD drive can be ordered from local ASP.
    > Are there any suggestions on how I can install onto a formatted hardrive, without using a usb cd drive, that would be cool..
    Maybe you could be able to install Windows from USB stick
    Im not sure if the BIOS will support the booting from USB stick, but its worth a try.
    Here a nice page how to do that:
    http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html

• Exporting Iphotos Issue

Looking for guidance...
    I am trying to backup iphotos library to external hardrive....I formatted hardrive through my mac so Im pretty sure it is formatted correctly..When I go to export to external hard drive...it will start exporting photos and than stop and i get message that says  "Unable to create/volume/3TB VOL 2/iphoto".   The 3TB VOL 2 is the name of the hardrive.   Now I backed up my system through time machine to the same hardrive and all went fine.??
    Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.
    thanks...
    Jody Z.

To back up your iPhoto Library just copy the file iPhoto Library that is in your username>Pictures folder to where ever it is you want it backed up to.

• External hardrive to use with Imac - how to format and to what?

i have my external hardrive i use with my pc
    how and to what should i format it so i can use ut with leopard and timemachine, also is it possible to make 2 partiton on it so one partition
    would still be windows format so i can backup windows on it too?

If you have an Intel Mac do this:
    Extended Hard Drive Preparation
    1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
    2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to two and resize as desired using the sizing gadget. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (only required for Intel Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
    4. Select the PC volume you just created (this is a sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window. Set the format type to MSDOS (FAT32) from the Format drop down menu. Click on the Erase button.
    5. Select the OS X volume you just created (this is the other sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
    6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.
    You should now be able to use the drive on both platforms. One partition for OS X and the other for Windows.

• How to format an external hardrive.

Hi I'm trying to back up my Playstation4 on my 1tb external hardrive but how do I format it to ( EXFat or FAT32 ) for it to work. Do i have to format it or should i just leave it and continue trying to save my game data.

Just Google FAT32 formatter and you will find lots of free programs to download. I use MiniTool partition wizzard and it's a wizz 

• I have an external hardrive for MAC, I needed to save something from my work computer so I can pass it on to my MAC, it requiered me to re-format my external HD and now when I connected to my MAC I only have "read only rights". How do I fix it?

I have an external hardrive for MAC, I needed to save something from my work computer so I can pass it on to my MAC, it requiered me to re-format my external HD and now when I connected to my MAC I only have "read only rights". How do I fix it? I run my Itnues from this external and now my library is gone. Luckily I have it saved somewhere else, which is not a problem, but I won't be able to write to this HD for right now. I can't see an option to give those permission back.

cptjuanjvarona wrote:
    I have an external hardrive for MAC, I needed to save something from my work computer so I can pass it on to my MAC, it requiered me to re-format my external HD and now when I connected to my MAC I only have "read only rights". How do I fix it?...
    Unless what you have to transfer is enormous, skip the external HD altogether and use a USB flash drive; you can get them with capacities to 128GB. Format the flash drive as FAT32 or ExFAT as LowLuster suggests so it can be read and written to on both PC's and your Mac.

• HT1338 I have updated my Imac to Mavericks and now my parallells won't work and I have reinstalled as per the instructions. Please help as all my data is on a hardrive that is formatted for PC

I have updated my Imac to Mavericks and now my parallells won't work and I have reinstalled as per the instructions. Please help as all my data is on a hardrive that is formatted for PC.

Yes I just discovered that this morning but I have purchased another external harddrive and formatted it for both and am in the process of transferring the files across it and then I will erase the old harddrive and reformat it so I can use it.
    I have learnt to format harddrives from this experience but am happy to see the back of parallells.
    Thank you for your help though it is much appreciated.

• Help, Cant install Mountain lion. Hardrive format issues

I'm on a late 2009 macbook pro laptop and i decided to upgrade to the new mountain lion update. I've paid and downloaded the files, but upon install i get this
    what do i need to do?, I dont have an hardrive to back up and i don't wanto loose the files on my laptop.

This error isn't making a lot of sense to begin with. You hard drive HAS to be in the Mac OS Extended Journaled format for an OS to be installed so if it wasn't then you shouldn't be able to boot it up right now.
    You don't say what OS you currently have on the MBP but you need to go to Disk Utility and see what format the HD and its volumes are in.
    You can access it in 3 ways - open the Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility,
                                              -  insert the disk that came with your Mac, reboot holding the C key, choose English as the language and then open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu along the top of the screen,
                                              - If you have Lion installed boot the Mac holding Command and R, choose English if prompted and then open Disk Utility.
    You need to make sure the HD itself has the right Partition Map Scheme - GUID Partition Table. You also need to make sure that Macintosh HD is in the format listed in your screen shot.  

• I have just formatted by toshiba hardrive to Mac OS extended as recommended so I could upload movies onto it from my mac however I am now unable to watch these movies through my set top box like I could previously.  How can I fix this?

I have just formatted by toshiba hardrive to Mac OS extended as recommended so I could upload movies onto it from my mac however I am now unable to watch these movies through my set top box like I could previously.  How can I fix this?

Check the box's documentation to find out what drive formats it's capable of reading. Very few, if any, non-Apple devices natively support drives formatted as Mac OS Extended.
    (111452)

• I would like to partition an external hardrive that is formatted to windows?

I would like to partition an external hardrive that is formatted to windows (Windows NT Filesystem) but the '+' box is greyed out, can anyone help? I have existing data on it and i would like to partition it to use with time Machine.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Hi,
    Cheers for that. Do you know of any way I can format without erasing data?

• Unable to Format External Hardrive

Hello all,
    This is kinda long winded. In short I can't format a new Maxtor external hard drive with Disk Utility because it hangs. It doesn't just hang when I select the Maxtor, but also when I select the internal. Is there a way that I can format it without using Disk Utility so I can start using the external drive? I just need to back everything up so I can wipe my system clean.
    The long version is: nothing seems to be working on my computer. Everything seems to hang like I can't update anything, I can't install any software, and now my DVD drive won't burn. I probably need to do a system restore or something. If there is no way to get my external to work without Disk Utility, is there any other way to back my files? Could this be a font issue as well? I have poor font management.
    This is for a G5 1.6 single PowerPC

Hi-
    Welcome to Discussions!
    Sounds like you have either damaged your hard drive(internal), or, you are having third party or font conflicts.
    Start troubleshooting by trying a safe mode boot. To start up into Safe Mode (to "Safe Boot"), do this:
    -Be sure the computer is shut down.
    -Press the power button.
    -Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
    Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
    -Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
    If able to start, log in and run Disk Utility. If errors are reported, run repair while booted from OS install disk. If no errors are reported, you will need to look at your startup items and fonts, to find the conflicting item(s).
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392
    If unable to boot in safe mode, try a single user boot, and run fsck. Please refer to the following document for full instruction:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214
    After single user boot, depending on the report from running fsck, you will either be able to boot normally, or you will require help from Disk Warrior to properly repair your hard drive;
    http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/
    G4AGP(450)Sawtooth, 2ghz PowerLogix, 1.62gbRAM, 120gb+160gb HD, ATI Radeon 9800   Mac OS X (10.4.8)   Pioneer DVR-109, LaCie 160gb, 23"Cinema Display, Ratoc USB2.0, Nikon Coolscan

• How do you reformat a la cie external hardrive to Mac mini. The hard drive is currently in windows format.

HHow do I re format a la Cie external hard drive for my Mac mini operating system. The La Cie currently is showing a windows format.

Choose Utilities from the Finder's Go menu, open the Disk Utility, select the drive, click on the Erase tab, and reformat it.
    (120904)

• Trying to install new Hardrive...can't get it to format the drive

I just bought a Maxtor Maxline Plus II 250 gig hard drive for more storage and as a second bootable drive, I'm having trouble with my current drive. I installed the drive and turned on the computer, The drive comes up in disk utility but will not allow me to format or erase the drive. I even tried from the Mac OSX install dvd and still nothing. I bought the drive on ebay and the guy says it needs a low level format? Does anyone have any suggestions...I'm pulling out my hair here.
    Thanks

Hi-
    Welcome to Discussions!
    the guy says it needs a low level format?
    That's not within the realm of the end user.
    Low level formatting is done at the factory.
    If the drive can't be erased, return it. Something is wrong.

• USB Hardrive won't format

I purchased an I/O Magic 40Gb USB portable storage device. Whe I plugged it in the first time, my computer recognized it, but I wanted to reformat it to give it a different name other than "Untitled." However, Disk Utility failed to be able to erase it--the program would go unresponsive almost immediately.
    I tried to install it on my work PC to format it that way, as Macs can read PC formated drives, but while my PC recognized that a "Mass USB Storage Device" was connected to my computer, I could not access it in any way.
    A friend of mine then tried to use Dik Warrior to format the drive, and ran into the same problems. Before I get frustrated and return the thing, I'd like to try one more thing:
    Using Terminal to format the drive.
    Any thoughts?

Sounds to me like a defective device. Return it or at least contact the manufacturer for advise. You might also find some troubleshooting tips on the device manufacturor's web site.

Maybe you are looking for

• My Apple ID is valid but not an iCloud account? What do I do?

I am very new with this iTunes account. I am downloading songs, now I want to use iCloud but it is not allowing me to sign in. How do I make my Apple ID an iCloud account?

• DRM and Audio in Vi

I have read that High Definition Copy Protecection (HDCP) will be implemented into Windows Vista as part of the digital rights management requirements. That apparently will affect playback of audio and video streams to thwart media pirates. One artic

• Incorrect data type when writing to FPGA Read/Write Control

I have run in to a problem this morning that is causing me substantial headache.  I am programming a CompactRIO chassis running in FPGA mode (not using the scan engine) with LabVIEW 2012.  I am using the FPGA Read/Write Control function to pass data

• Crazy Guild Wars/WINE/Graphics Problem

Recently I've gotten back into Guild Wars (and subsequently dropped off the forums like a stone), but I have a very bizarre issue with it. Every so often, and I have no idea why because error reports haven't turned up anything, I get a graphics failu

• WB_ABAP Refresh Problem in the I view

Dear Experts, I have 3 views in my webDynporoAbap Appication. When ever I am running my application through portal for the first time the first view is coming and followed by the process is working fine. My problem is Suppose I m running the same app