Getting A T500

Hi All,
And just found this forum so I joined. Lots of good stuff here I may need. Needed an extra laptop and although I've used Dell Latitudes for years and was planning on getting another.... I sprung for a Lenovo T500. Everything I've read tells me it is solid and good for my usage which is mainly Word, internet, and researching. I've read the keyboard is excellent for typing too.
I'm not a power user. I do usually keep my laptop on 12 hours a day, everyday and it usually sleeps 2 hours during that time. And it's on a cooling tray with a big fan. Any heat problems with these at all?
Are there any basic do's and don'ts with the T500 specific to it? If not I'll probably have some questions when I get it next week. It has no OS and I'll install Windows 7, though it has a Vista Business COA....I like 7 better. Much.
Any advice or good T500 threads please point me there,  Cheers, Jack

Hi Jackzz,
Hope you enjoy your T500 as much as I have. Since you sound like you will be starting from a blank hard drive, you will need access to the Lenovo specific drivers for your machine.
Please bookmark this URL which points to the Downloads and Drivers page for the T500 machine. You will need it often:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t50...
Depending upon your machine type (look for a sticker on the underside of the machine with format such as: 2241-DB9) your T500 can have quite a variety of internal components. Download the Windows 7 version of System Update, and let it update all Lenovo customized drivers that are applicable to your particular machine. You can get it from the following URL:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080136
Note: Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0 or above is required for System Update to work correctly.
Download, and keep as reference, the System Update 5.0 Deployment Guide at URL:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tvsu5_mst_en.pdf
Other useful bookmarks:
ThinkVantage Technologies Downloads at URL: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht037696
ThinkVantage Technologies Administrator Tools at URL: http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/documents/ht037099
The T500 has volume controls at the top left of the keyboard. For them to work properly (a volume bar appears on the screen when you press them), you need the following pieces of software.
Install Lenovo Power Management Driver.
  This package is a prerequisite to the On Screen Display (OSD).
  System Update should install at least version 1.67.04.05.
Install ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Utility.
  The following are sub-components of the ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Utility:
   - On Screen Display
   -  ThinkPad FullScreen Magnifier
   - Lenovo System Interface Driver
   - Lenovo Patch Utility
   System Update should install at least version 3.89.0000.
Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.
   This package is a prerequisite to the On Screen Display (OSD).
   Manually install the 32 bit version of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package, even on a 64 bit   version of Windows 7, if Microsoft Update has not installed it before hand.
   Reboot the computer for the package to take effect.
Install ThinkPad Power Manager.  
   System Update should update to at least version 6.66.3.
Please note that without a Lenovo preload, that includes the recovery Q drive, you probably will not be able to use the Rescue and Recovery backup and restore software that you will see references to on the Lenovo site. You would need to have started from a set of Lenovo T500 Windows 7 recovery DVD’s to get that Q drive.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Chuck
ThinkPad R61 8932-CTO T8300 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP
ThinkPad R500 2714-CTO P8600 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP; Two ThinkPad R500's 2714-CTO T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
ThinkPad T500 2241-DB9 T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
ThinkCenter A63 5237-CTO 3GB Ram Win XP; A21m and a pair of 380XD's

Similar Messages

• T500 LCD (WSXGA+) Color issues!

I noticed on T500 the color saturation is a significantly worse than my 15" MacBook Pro (non-unibody). After using our color calibration device at work I can't get the T500 to acceptable color range. The Yellows are almost a washed out Orange and the Grays seem to have a wash out blue time. The brightness is so so but the overall contrast is what I'd expect from a Notebook half the price of the T500 (VERY disappointed).
    Far as the brightness it's not THAT bad but not that good, considering both are CCFL LCD's I'm just baffled how the T series screens are sub par compared to their close competitors. Here's the kicker, at work we have T400 books(1280x800) and on those displays it shows Yellows much better and closer to the MacBook Pros and the grays are MUCH better. Could this just be a flute with the display? I'm wondering how I can find out who made the actual display panel, is there a way to check that?
    Anyone else have these issues?

Yeah I just had a Tech come out and replace the LCD and after a new panel it's still displaying yellows as orange. The smileys ("") look like they are an Orange color, like the actual color the fruit Orange. No where remotely close to yellow, it's just very disappointing to see a business class notebook with such an atrocious color gamut (contrast is pretty pathetic). I have a feeling Lenovo won't be able to fix this, sadly my next Notebook purchase won't be from Lenovo. I will probably not buy another Lenovo product again, I'm still pretty bitter over this burn.

• Audio through DisplayPor​t on brand new T500

I have just ordered a T500 with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x4500HD with vPro and want to connect it to a HDtv using the DisplayPort and HDMI.  I know that I will need an adapter to do so but here is my question.  Will the DisplayPort support digital audio?
    I have seen threads on this forum stating that on some models the audio works and on other models the audio doesn't work... will it work on mine?

psycotik187 wrote:
    Ok, so for everyones' information:
    As explained to me by Lenovo, the DisplayPort on a T500 with INTEGRATED graphics motherboard supports ANALOG video only (vga) and will not support digital video of any kind (hdmi/dvi).  It is a hardware limitation and is not fixable.
    The only way to get a T500 to put out digital video on the DisplayPort is to obtain a completely new system with the ATI SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS motherboard.
    Ack! That is flat-out FALSE: the T500 with Intel (only) graphics does digital video through either the built-in DisplayPort, or through the DVI port of an advanced mini dock or advanced dock. See this handy table of which models support DVI pass-through in the dock:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72​148.html
    What is true is that the R500 with Intel (only) graphics does not support DVI pass-through. However, even it supports digital video through its DisplayPort.
    And yes, I have personally used digital video from both a T500 and an R500. (Typing this reply through DVI on a T500 Type 2242. )
    Best regards,
    Frank
    EDIT: The DisplayPort on both R500 and T500 does *not* support digital audio. You can use the analog audio out, or the digital coax audio out on the dock. Either way you will need another cable.
    Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
    Did someone help you?
    Say thanks! with a kudo.
    Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

• Evdo and wireless at the same time?

Hi,
    I cannot get my T500 to connect to the internet via internal mobile broadband card AND a local wireless network at the same time. When I connect to the wireless network (via Windows connection not thinkvantage) to use my printer or squeezebox, the internet connection disconnects.
    I am using Windows wireless connection to the wireless instead of Thinkvantage. Soapbox: thinkvantage is too domineering. I can't control my own computer because thinkvantage is like Hal and just takes it over. That being said, I just updated to the most recent version in hopes that this wireless/mobile broadband problem would be resolved. But no, the evdo still drops when I connect to use the wireless.  It's not immediate - I might get 3 or 4 minutes of dual connectivity  but it ultimately drops the evdo every time.
    I've picked the brains of the linksys folks. They gave it a really good effort. We went through all kinds of configuration gyrations but no luck. Here is that discussion if you want to review: http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&thread.id=149718 .
    Can anyone over here help me? Many many thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply.
    I am using thinkvantage to connect to WWAN. Vzaccess is really clunky. I suspect that this is the problem so I would like to connect to the wireless via thinkvantage. I realize I'm probably asking for a lot: use TV for one connection and Windows for another...

• Why should I choose a T400 over a E6400?

I'm a graduate student about to start a master's program in a field of engineering. I need something that is sturdy, dependable, non-intrusive, quiet, cool (temperature), light and compact. This is why I'm interested in the T400 and E6400.
    For around $750 (incl. tax) this is the T400 I want to get:
    P8400
    2gb, 1DIMM ram
    250gb hdd
    14.1 LED WXGA w/camera
    CDRW/DVDROM
    Intel 5300 Wifi
    Intel graphics
    Media card reader
    6-cell battery
    Vista basic (will buy vista ultimate and upgrade with student discount)
    1-year warranty
    For less, I can get this refurb'd E6400:
    P8700
    2gb, 1DIMM ram DDR2
    160 gb HDD, 7200rpm
    14.1 WXGA+ LED backlit
    Intel 5300
    Intel graphics
    Vista business
    6-cell battery
    DVD/RW
    3 year warranty
    I'm really torn between the two. I like the T400 for its understated design, rubberized outer surface, and rollcage. I like the Dell for its value and offering more for less. 
    I havn't been able to see them or try them in person I and probably won't be able to.
    So I'd like to here from owners why they prefer their Thinkpad over other notebooks, and if you're tried both I'd like to hear about your experiences. 
    Thanks.

Hi thesundandthemoo,
    Welcome to the Lenovo forum
    If you haven't already, I'd recommend heading to notebookreview.com and reading their reviews of both the E6400 and T400. Also visit their forums and see what users have to say.
    As this is a Lenovo users' forum, the opinions you get here are biased. But I guess you know that.
    Anyway, my opinion: The Dell E6400 looks great on paper, is a great design. I've never set fingers on one, but from the reviews I looked at before getting my T500, it seemed it is somewhat flawed in execution. I recall reading reports of malfunctioning hardware and general flakiness. Those reports were anecdotal only, and to be fair in this forum you will read of some users having trouble with their T400's too. No manufacturer is immune from letting an occasional lemon slip through. If we had accurate statistics about quality control we could make a rational choice. In the absence of those, we're left with:
    Anecdotal user experiences and evaluations of laptop quality;
    More anecdotal user experiences of quality of service in addressing any problems.
    In my case I bought my T500 (over E6500) based on my personal experience with earlier ThinkPads and excellent support and service from IBM / Lenovo / EasyServ when the occasional problem arose. My T500 was not 100% perfect from day one: it had a somewhat flexible keyboard (by ThinkPad standards), and a problem displaying digital video through the dock's DVI to one of my monitors. To Lenovo's immense credit, they have fixed both problems to my complete satisfaction. It is this willingness to listen to customer complaints (in this forum and elsewhere) and commitment to make things right -- in combination with excellent design, build quality and driver support -- that makes me such a fan of ThinkPads. They are the first laptops I consider when making any new purchase for myself or others.
    Good luck with your search, it would be great if you let us know what you decide and why.
    Best regards,
    Frank
    Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.
    Did someone help you?
    Say thanks! with a kudo.
    Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else.

• Plastic sticks up above screen cable

Hi everyone,
    I just acquired my brand new t500 a few days ago and now it may become a greatest disappointment. That's not what I expected from Lenovo!
    As you all know (or have probably heard) the keyboard on the left side has a significant flex along with the clicking sound while typing. To be honest I was quite prepared to get an aftermarket T61 keyboard and replace the original one if it doesn't meet my expectations. But there is more to it then just that.
    I attached the pictures of the problem that I have with my laptop - the plastic sticks up above the place where the screen cable enters the laptop base. Pictures will tell you more then my words.
    Another thing that I didn't like is that the plastic on the top left corner (left speaker grill) isn't attached well to the base as well. There is around .5mm gap in there and it clicks when you press on it.
    Not quite what I'd expect from the the company "that makes "award-winning PCs". Or should I say USED TO...
    As a side note I wanted to mention that in June I advised my friend to get a T500 as well and he has none of the problems I mentioned here (no keyboard flex as well!)
    Has anyone had similar issues? Any advice from Lenovo staff?
    thanks
    Pictures:
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5388/t500open.jpg
    http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1307/t500norm.jpg

Mechmike,
    Honestly, I'm not sure I understand what you are calling out in your photos... Maybe you could update them some red arrow call outs? 
    The replacement keyboard can be sent as a customer installable part.  To install, you remove the 5 screws in the bottom of the unit and remove the palmrest and keyboard.  When installing the new keyboard, it slides up under the plastic part below the screen - that part of the keyboard bezel.  It could be an assembly error on your unit, and while installing the new keyboard, reseating it correctly will resolve your other concerns.
    Best regards,
    Mark
    ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
    Mark Hopkins
    Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
    twitter @lenovoforums
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Can't boot my T500 anymore... just getting to a black screen after the XP logo

I have a big problem with my Lenovo T500. Never had any problems before. Then yesterday, I could not open OpenOffice anymore, neither convert to pdf from an already open OpenOffice document. I got error messages saying the programmes can't be openend. After trying to re-install Adobe Reader failed, I simply wanted to restart the computer, seeing if that oculd help. And now the big problems started...
    Re-booting was not possible. For 20 seconds, it seemed normal. But directly after the Windows XP logo (using
    Windows XP Professional 1), the screen went black and that was it. I see the mouse cursor and can move it, but that's it.
    After waiting some time, I turned the laptop off with the power button. And restarted it. This time getting to the screen where I could choose "safe mode" or normal startup, because the computer had been shut down improperly. First I tried normal mode, which lead to the same black page. Then I did the same again and tried "safe mode", which didn't work either - I just got the black screen with the "safe mode" notifier in every corner.
    What I tried then was the ThinkVantage button directly when starting the computer. Which lead me to the "rescue and recovery" menu where I could choose what to do: Complete recovery, losing personal files (it's about music, pictures, text documents for me) or quick recovery without losing files. Also there was the option of saving files before through USB. This is what I tried first. I marked 50GB of files and wanted to transfer them. Problem: Every external harddrive or USB stick I connected was not identified. So this failed.
    I chose to go with "quick recovery" first then. This took about 20mins. When it was done there was an automatic re-start which unfortunately got stuck at the black screen again...
    3 more re-starts using the power button did not bring anything either. The ThinkVantage button does not let me access the rescue and recovery menu anymore. It just says something like "checking the system" and then there is an automatic re-boot, which ends up at the black page.
    I am mighty scared now that I lost my computer and the data on it (I have backups for most things, but still).
    Does anyone know anything that could be done now? I do not have XP or anything, by the way. I bought this computer used a year ago and got it complete with XP installed (although I do have the product key). The warranty from the place expired 5 days ago and the place is in Germany, but I live in Sweden. They told me they can't help me but I should contact a local repair place.
    If anyone has an idea about what the problem could be (virus??) and maybe some help, I would be VERY VERY thankful.

Maybe I should add that I probably didn't do the best thing with anti virus programs. I used Microsft Security Essentials, which was installed when I bought the computer.
    When downloading some program (not sure whether it was Acrobat Reader), I was asked to get McAfee. Kind of weird, I had said no. But McAfee somehow checked my computer and told me my MP4 player contained a trojan. That was 5 days ago. Security Essentials couldn't find it, even scanning the MP4 player directly. I guess I should have switched right away and to get McAfee to remove the thing? Maybe this is what caused all the trouble...

• T500: Can't get WLAN to work!! HELP

Hey all, new to the Lenovo community so sorry if I sound like a noob.
    I just bought a Thinkpad T500- 2056 CTO (Vista Business) from a colleague of mine. I searched the internet for the specs of this notebook and saw that it was equipped with an integrated WLAN card but I can't get it to work. I checked the Network Adapters in the Device Manager but there was only an Ethernet Gigabit driver. I tried downloading the only 2 different drivers that Lenovo's Support and Downloads has but that didn't work. Can anyone help me out? I'd greatly appreciate it.

AHuerta775 wrote:
    I searched the internet for the specs of this notebook and saw that it was equipped with an integrated WLAN card
    What specifically did you look at on the internet to determine the spects of a  2056-CTO ?
    Cheers,
    Bill
    I don't work for Lenovo

• Can't get dual monitors to come back up when docking. T500 with mini dock & XP

I have a T500 with XP installed. I am using it docked into a mini dock attached to two 20inch Viewsonic monitors. One connected via VGA and the other DVI. I setup the dual monitors just fine. Anytime after I undock and boot up the laptop I can't get the dual monitors to automatically display. I have to go into the display properties and re set it up each time. Can anyone suggest any ideas?

When your T500 power-on , press F1 to log in BIOS, and change the option in >config>Display>Boot-Display-Device to Both or VGA, I suppose that it will reslove your problem.

• What monitor should I get for my t500?

I am having problems finding any display port monitors. Am I just missing them, or do I just need to get an adapter and buy a DVI or HDMI monitor?
    I am thinking a 20-22 inch with WSXGA+ or WUXGA with a price range of $200-$300
    Thanks!
    Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel

The Dell 24 inch 2408WFP have them, there are not many in the 20 -22 inch range that has the displayport, so if you are looking for those monitors then you should just get an display port to HDMI or DVI converter, preferrably you should get an HDMI converter, then an HDMI to DVI cable, then down the line, if you ever want to use HDMI monitor, all you have to do is to get an HDMI cable.
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• How to get sound from T500 to HDTV?

Hi Guys,
    I have a 2 year old T500 which has a displayport. I know I will be able to get the picture to my tv by using a DP-HDMI adapter and the DP port on T500 don't carry sound.
    But does anyone know how I would get the sound on the TV too?
    Thanks,

How about getting an extra long headphone cable and connect your laptop's headphone jack to the amplifier.
    Otherwise you need get a few more parts like dvi+spdif to hdmi converter box and an advanced mini dock.
    Regards,
    Jin Li

• Where Can I Get A Windows 7 Logo For My T500?

Hello,
    I just got my T500 with Vista. I'm anxiously awaiting my W7 upgrade. Where can I get the Windows 7 logo / sticker to replace the Vista one? Thanks.
    Bob Helms

There seem to be available on ebay
    Cheers and regards,
    • » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
    ●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ
    I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo

• Trying to get 32-bit Vista to see more than 2.5 gb of my 4gb ram - T500

Hello all,
    I've been reading what I'm able to find on the subject, and have tried the following suggestions from (http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=989) to bump up the amount of physical ram that Vista sees. I've tried to forceenable pae, and then :
    Type BCDedit /set nx AlwaysOff
    Type BCDedit /set pae ForceEnable
     Setting DEP off, and neither had any effect on the physical RAM available. I read a few posts hinting that these options may be unecessary in SP1 of vista as well. So, here are my questions :
    1. Is it possible for the T500 with 32-bit Vista to address more than 2.5gb of  physical ram?
    2. If so, how can I do it?
    3. Am I eligible for a 64-bit version of Vista with the recent purchase of my T500 and Vista Business?
    Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks much all....
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

zoopside wrote:
    I changed to DISCRETE GRAPHICS, rebooted : still @ 2.5, then DISABLE SWITCHABLE, rebooted : still @ 2.5. My ATI driver was "found" again, rebooted, and now I'm still @ 2.5.
    I'll try a few more permutations of the options available, but did you do anything else?
    Keep rebooting.  At some point your system will recognize the additional ram.
    My system did the same thing as yours.  At first it showed an additional 54mb or so.
    Then all of sudden it was up to 3,065mb.  I can't remember how many reboots before
    the big jump occurred.  I am guessing 3 to 4 more reboots over a day or two.
    I don't know why it takes several reboots before the system will recognized the additional ram.
    T500 ~ T9400 2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2 ~ Vista 32bit Home ~ WXGA 15.4 LED ~ ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 ~ 4GB ram ~ Camera ~ 160GB 7200rpm HD ~ Intel Turbo Memory 2GB ~ CD-RW/DVD ~ Intel WiFi 5300

• Getting the Ericsson F3507g card to work in a T500 running Windows 2008 Server 64bit

Folks
    I seem to have the correct drivers for the card but when I try to enable them I get a blue screen every time with the error BAD_POOL_CALLER.  This is now happening every time Windows starts as it tries to load the new drivers.
    Does anyone know if the card is supported under Windows 2008 Server 64 bit and if so, how do I get it working?
    Regards
    Simon
    (UK)

Bump. Does anyone have any idea of what i can do to get wireless working on my windows partition?

• T500 #2081 - Installed larger HD - Getting WGA message

I recently upgraded by HD to a faster, larger HD. Cloned the original, repartitioned it, installed it.
    Machine booted up and ran fine until a few weeks later I get the Windows Genuine Advantage message that I don't have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Professional (which was installed on the machine from Lenovo).
    After a couple of calles to Microsoft, I'm told that Lenovo only licensed Windows 7 Professional for the old HD. I would need a new copy for the new HD. Is this stupid or what?
    Called Lenovo and they basically said the same thing. They offered to sell me recovery disks that will get me back to the original factory configuration - less all the programs I now have installed.
    Does this sound right? I asked them who I can complain to and they said "no one".
    I can't tell you how angry this makes me. Replacing HDs is pretty routine for any PC, desktop or laptop. That's usually the first thing that goes. Now there is no neat way of recovering from that or if you just want to upgrade your drive? How stupid is this?
    Any suggestions?

you can reactivate the os, using the serial number that is provided to you on the bottom of the laptop.
    Regards,
    Jin Li

Maybe you are looking for

• How to upload Image to MDM 5.5 SP3 using Java APIs

Hi, I am trying to upload Image to Images table in MDM 5.5 using JAVA API for MDM. But. I'm not able to find particular field in Images table where I need to set the Blob object ( Image data ). I'm not aware of the method to set the Blob, there is on

• DDE error in Forms 4.5 running Win2k

We are upgrading our O/S from Win95 to Win2k and we have several forms that creates a .csv file using TEXT_IO package and calls Excel using the DDE package. It works fine on Win95 but when we run it under Win2k it gives me problems. Right now we: <cu

• Groups in contacts?

how do I make a group in my contacts.  I want to make a group and then use the group to send an email to all the persons in the group.  thank you

• Images disappear while editing

I've been experiencing disappearing images in Aperture while editing. Images just turn to white, black or grey while editing and nothing can be done short of a restart to recover them. Sometimes resizing the window or selecting a different tool can b

• What is the Blue Point behind the application in ios7?

What is the blue point beside the application in ios 7?