Hard Drive Bay (Caddy) and drive for T430

Very confused about what the recommended HDD Caddy for T430 is. (to swap DVD drive with a 2nd HDD)
Also, is there a non Lenovo HDD that works with this? 1 TB drive preferred.
Thanks.

Ultrabay caddies come in two thicknesses, 12.7mm for T430 and T530 (0A65623), and 9.5mm for T430s (43N3412.)
You can buy these from Lenovo or you can get "clone" caddies quite inexpensively on eBay, e.g. 9.5mm Bezel SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive caddy bay for T400s T500 T410s X200 is $10 for a 9.5mm unit. This is what I have in my T430s. A 9.5mm caddie will fit into your T430 but will leave a small gap at the top. You can search to see what 12.7mm caddies are available.  
I haven't tested the clone caddies with HDDs larger than 500GB. There's no reason they won't work. Note that the HDD must be no thicker than the caddy in order to fit physically. Since you have a T430 with 12.7 Ultrabay opening this shouldn't be an issue for you either.
Cheers... Dorian Hausman
X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

Similar Messages

• W530 Drive Bay Adapter and Drive Caddy

I purchased a W530 and immediatly swapped out the included hard drive for an SSD. I also purchased the drive bay adapter and planned on moving that original drive to it, but it did not come with a drive caddy. If the drive bay does not come with an extra one, and hard drives do not come with them.... why was it not included? Where do I purchase one? Does it need those rubber sides that are now around the SSD?

Hey Chuntley,
    If you search around the forums you will find a lot of post on this or close to this subject about installing a second drive to W530.
    Here is a link to one such post.
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/12-7mm-Ultrabay-adapter/td-p/804275
    If you have any other questions please post back.
    Best Regards,
    Hiro
    Did you find a post Awesome? A response just Outstanding? Kudo them!
    Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!

• Advice needed - optical bay caddy and HDD for T530

Since I rarely use my optical drive and frequently back up files to an external hard drive, I'd like to put a HDD in the optical bay and just swap it out for the DVD player whenever that is needed.
    My T530 (i5-3210M Win7HP) has a 256GB Crucial mSSD for the boot drive and programs;  the original 500GB/7200 rpm in the drive bay has data files, Outlook and Quicken files, music, photos and documents.
    For the optical bay HDD 500 GB would be plenty, but the 750 GB is only about $10 more, so why not?  (I'd probably put the 750 in the drive bay and make it the data drive, with the 500 in the optical bay for a back up drive... and this is about convenience more than need.)
    Best I can tell the optical drive supports SATA 6GB/sec but most of the 2.5" 750GBx7200 rpm drives are SATA 3GB/sec.  (On the other hand, the Hitachi MK5061GSY 500GBx7200 that came in my T530 appears to be 'only' SATA II, and most forum posters suggest there's not a noticable difference.)
    Of the 750 GB drives it seems the Seagate Momentus ($82) and Western Digital Scorpio Black ($78) would be the top two choices.  I think they're both 9.5mm and would fit. Some reviews indicate the Western Digital is quieter.
    The caddy is more problematic, as there are so many choices, and many appear to be poorly-fitting Chinese knockoffs.  I'm not inclined to pay $70 for the Lenovo, when the others are in the $10-15 range, but I do want one that fits well and works well and lasts.  (And is at least SATA 3GB/sec.)  I can't tell much from the prices or pictures, and there's contradicting information in the 'product reviews.'
    So I need a 12.7mm optical bay (Ultrabay) caddy for a 9.5mm HDD that fits well without gaps, matches the T530 case, and supports at least SATA 3GB/sec.
    Will I need the rubber 'bumpers' or is that just for SSD drives?  If I need them, do they come with the caddy or drive?  If not, what do I get and where?
    Does either the Seagate or Western Digital offer an advantage in function or reliability?
    Please correct anything that I've mistated or misunderstood.  Thank you for your advice and recommendations.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

How the four screws work. 
    HD's and SSD's usually have four threaded holes on the bottom and also two threaded holes on each long side. The video you may have seen with the screws going through holes in the bottom of the caddy into the threaded bottom holes of the HD is a video of the $45 Newmodus caddy. That's how they affix the drive to the caddy.
    The Chinese caddy I linked uses the screws in a different way, and it is actually pictured in the top right illustration on the caddy.
    While the drive is out of the caddy, you just thread the screws (through nothing) into the side holes on the drives. So, the drive now has two little protruding screw heads on each side. The only purpose is to create those four slight protrusions - two on each side. 
    Then you insert the drive into the caddy by sliding from one end. The thing on the bottom of the caddy picture is like a little door that folds up and down. You lift up the door and slide the drive into the other end. The protruding screw heads slide under little rail protuberances that are molded inside the sides of the caddy. When you have slid the drive all the way forward into the electrical connectors, you then snap down the door behind it. The door prevents the drive from moving forward or back. The screw heads wedged under the rails prevent the drive from moving up or down. You can do the entire operation in 5 seconds.
    Ny-compu-tek seems to have the same caddy listed under various titles and prices, including one that specifically says T530. I think that's just a marketing gimmick, as the T530 takes the same caddy as the T520. Anyway the one I linked is the least expensive from that source and fits perfectly. 
    It was also shipped out in one day with a tracking number. 

• T430s 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy not working

Hi all,
    I bought 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy for my T430s but it does not seem to work.
    The HDDs I placed in it do not even start to spin, and they are not recognized by the laptop BIOS as also by my OSes, Windows and Linux.
    The label on the caddy says it is P/N 26r9247, but at this stage I'm not sure is a compatible part or if I got just a faulty item.
    Any feedback?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

That part number (26R9247) is for the older T60/61 Thinkpads.  You need the Ultrabay III adapter.  Look at 43N3412.

• Where can i buy a hard drive caddy and connector for a second hard drive for my dv7-7190eo?

Where can i buy a hard drive caddy and connector for a second hard drive for my dv7-7190eo?
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Gurra wrote:
    Where can i buy a hard drive caddy and connector for a second hard drive for my dv7-7190eo?
    Hi,
    The right part number for the hard drive kit is 681976-001. The support website for the laptop is on HP Sweden so run the part number on google.co.uk (or your Swedish). I have found the cheapest on us amazon for $38 or £42. 
    Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
    Testing - HP 15-p000
    HP Touchpad provided by HP
    Currently on Debian Wheeze
    *Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

• T43 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy not working

I installed a generic ultra bay caddy and the new drive isn't recognized.
    It works fine in an external enclosure.
    Any suggestions?

goretsky wrote:
    Hello,
    Do other Ultrabay caddies work in the T43 or does this one work in other ThinkPads?
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    The caddies for a T60/61 (also R and Z series) will work if you remove a plastic tab that prevents them from being inserted in a T4x or R5x series. The faceplate looks slightly different but it's not objectionable looking when installed. 
    ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)

• Ejecting problem on my 2nd SATA Hard Drive Bay Caddy

I am having an ejecting problem with my caddy secondary HD.
    Basically every time I close the lid, the secondary HD is ejected or, in case ejecting fails, I obtain an error message..very annoying situation.
    How can windows 7 avoid to eject it? Do you know a best practice to configure properly the 2nd SATA Hard Drive Bay Caddy??
    Thanks in advance!
    Fabio
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Really sorry, I didn't explain properly: I was talking about Ejecting OS side (windows 7 eject my secondary HD when I close my laptop, consequence is that I don't see it anymore in Computer).
    ejecting is when you press here
    anyway Thanks!!

• My MacBook Pro DVD drive keeps spinning and looking for a disc when there isn't one.

My MacBook Pro disc drive keeps spinning and looking for a disc when there isn't one in there. The DVD application is closed and as far as I can tell, the eject button is not stuck. I've restarted, but the problem persists. Please help!

Try these methods:
    credit Kappy,
    Ciao.

• T60 drive bay adapters and HDDs

I was wondering, are there manufacturers of internal hard drives that work better or worse with the t60 drive bay adapter than others? I heard sometimes people have trouble with hard drives being too noisy or unstable within the adapter. 
    Thanks in advance. 
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

not really, you may want to use a 5400 rpm rather than the 7200 rpm version. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• External drive turns off and on for no reason

Hello,
    While I work on my computer I have been hearing lately my Lacie drive shut off and start up again and shut off... like it is trying to stay on... and if I select it on the desktop, the beach ball appears and will continue to twirl until I shut my computer and startup again. I was also having problems with QuarkXPress (desktop publisher program) quiting for no reason and thought that it was the external hardrive causing this problem. So, I have been starting the computer in the AM without plugging in the Lacie to see if Quark doesn't quit, but it does quit for no reason. I have also trashed the preferences for it with no luck. I am starting to think that maybe it is my computer itself having problems. I had the permissions repaired, used TechTool Pro to repair any problems. All had been fixed by these two approaches and I am still having the Lacie trying to quit and restart... and still having Quark quit...
    Please help. Today I performed a PRAM to see if that will work. I'm not sure what it is for, but in the past it has helped other problems.
    Any idea as to what is going on?
    martazoila

martazoila:
    Welcome to Apple Discussions.
    Take a look at these FAQs by Dr. Smoke and see if any of his recommendations help:
    Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption
    Multiple applications quit unexpectedly or fail to launch
    The Spinning Beachball of Death
    Please post back and let me know if anything worked for you, or with further questions or comments.
    Good luck.
    cornelius

• W530 drive bay design flaw - drive slide out of connectors​?

Hi, I recently purchased a W530 with a hard drive bay and I've been experiencing trouble with the bay.
    The problem is that there is no mechanism in the drive bay to keep the drive "in bay" - i.e. connected. Because of a small gap between the drive and the wall of the bay the drive will slide out of the connector when the laptop is put in the bag vertically.
    this seems to me like a major design flaw in the drive bay, and I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same issue and know about any workarounds.

Kaso wrote:
    > Assuming that you are using the UltraBay 12.7mm Lenovo adapter, you must use both the drive tray AND the rubber rails to secure the HDD within the unit.
    First, you buy the right 12.7mm-high UltraBay HDD caddy adapter that is compatible with the W530. Second, you put the HDD in the hollow space of the caddy adapter and secure the HDD with the four tiny screws that are provided as part of the caddy adapter. Finally, you plug the whole thing (caddy **bleep** drive) into the UltraBay until the secure latch "clicks" and the caddy bezel flushes evenly with the right side of the chassis.
    There are no "rubber rails" involved.
    There are NO screws supplied with the Lenovo 12.7mm UltraBay caddy. The caddy presumes that you are using a Lenovo supplied HDD with the drive tray and the rubber rails Look at the diagrams on the flexible cover on the caddy. The Newmodeus caddy uses screws only (supplied) and does not need the rubber rails nor the drive tray.
    W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD, Crucial M550 mSata 512GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay
    W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0

• T430s 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy for windows 10? and main drive for win7

i am planning to run dual system: on the main drive, i am running windows 7 64bit pro which is my work PC. i dont want to risk the win 7 system.
    i would like to run windwos 10 on the 2nd hard drive ( caddy). so i can choose which system to run each time when i power up my T430s.  has any one done this yet? how is the result? can you choose which system to boot ? 

Unfortunately for today 2015-08-17 windows 10 does NOT support hdd caddy

• Dvd caddy and drive replaced...error results

i have a powerbook g3 pismo...dvd caddy broke...i ordered a whole new module...in a new caddy...when i try to put it in computer it says "there was an initialization error
    a valid dvd drive could not be found (-70012)"
    i have os x 10.9.3....400 mhz, 256 ram
    have tried to get help from discussion groups, but no one so far has been able to help...
    would really!! appreciate any help....
    ariella

ariella,
    This article discusses using an external DVD drive to play DVD movies and generating the -70012 error:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42727
    Are you saying inserting the DVD drive module generates this error or the error occurs when you insert a DVD optical disk?
    Since you are apparently using a media bay optical drive, a few questions:
    - Does your new drive work properly with CDs and data DVDs like a MacOS X System Install disk?
    - Open your System Profiler > Hardware > ATA and please report on the model number of the optical drive. If OEM, it should report LG or Matshita and also say DVD-ROM.
    Let us know the results of the above...

• X-fi I/O drive bay not working (replacement for falty o

i have had the SB X-fi fatalty xtreamgamer card for a few weeks and i went out and got the dri've bay for it affter finding out that it did not work it was sent back to creative and i reci'ved a new one but this one all so is not working there is power to it but the X-fi sound card is not detecting the dri've bay. i have tryed changeing the power cables and done fresh windows and creative x-fi driver installs but the dri've bay still wont work is there anything else i can do to fix it

Hi Serpantine,
    You might want to check if there is light coming from the Optical SPDIF Out. This tells you if the dri've is receiving power or not. Customer Support should be able to help you troubleshoot this.

• SUPER SIMPLE DUMB Question about hard-wired desktop mac and wifi for iPhone

Sorry if this has been already answered a million times. I have a desktop mac with a cable modem ethernet internet connection. I want to leave this hard-wired and setup a wifi network for a laptop or iPhone. What's the cheapest easiest way to do this?? I've never done anything wireless before.

Could I just somehow split the feed from the the cable modem or ethernet cable and route part of it into an AirPort express??
    Unfortunately, no. This would create "confusion" for the modem as it is only expecting a single device to be connected to it. To be able to support both wired & wireless clients, you would need an Internet router with a built-in Ethernet switch, like the AirPort Extreme Base Station. If cost is an issue, you do NOT have to use an Apple router. There are a number of other vendors, like Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, & Netgear, to name a few, that offer similar models.

Maybe you are looking for