Hard Drive does not start spinning on t410

I have a Thinkpad t410 and I recently purchased a larger Hard Drive and installed it a week ago . Installation went fine, windows installed perfectly, and everything seemed fine until yesterday when I rebooted and the system hung on the lenovo bios boot screen (lenovo logo and the 'Press the blue ThinkVantage button to interrupt startup) because the hard drive was not spinning.  After restating a few times, the hard drive came up and boot went on as normal.  Since then, this has happened every time I have turned off my system, and a few hours ago has started when I wake the system from standby.  I initial thought was that it was a bad hard drive, but when I put the hard drive in a different laptop, it functioned perfectly.  This does not occur if I restart the computer, only if I shut it down so the hard drive stops spinning and needs to turn back on.   Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hello mandalorethx, welcome to Lenovo Forum!
Please provide us with the manufactorer of your hdd and which model exactly.
Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter! Try the forum search, before first posting: Forum Search Option
Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.
 English Community       Deutsche Community       Comunidad en Español

Similar Messages

• When downloading Mac OS X 10 it says that my hard drive does not start up my computer, Why does it do this

When I was downlaoding Lion  the downlaoding app says that my hardrive does not start up my computer, Why is this and What should I do?

Run disk utility on your hard drive to verify/repair it also repair your permissions. 

• Hard drive does not start

My computer does not start. I've run all the tools to repair. What should I do?

Either replace the HDD or take it an Apple store,
    Ciao.

• X102e - Hard drive does not boot into Windows

Hi, I was trying to reinstall Windows on my X120e.
    I tried clean install with Windows 7 Professional, but the hard drive does not boot into the Windows once it has done the first phase of the install(you know, the copying part)
    After the restart done by Windows, it goes as far as "Starting Windows" but does not actually boot into the Windows.
    When I try to install Windows with another HDD, the device works well, but I can't swap the HDD because it is not 7.5mm think HDD.
    Is there any possibility the HDD will work trough any software-level process? The HDD works fine as external HDD when tested with external HDD adapter, and installs well. only problem is that it fails to boot
    Kim
    W540( ), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold) Tablet 2( ), X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, X32*4, 701C*4

Thank you for reply.
    This is not exactly the issue. I was talking about the HDD originally installed in the PC.
    The PC successfully recognizes the external disk I used to install the Windows, but the problem was that I did not boot into the "First boot" screen, which basically works on the already installed data.
    As of now I have installed an SSD and is working fine. strange part is that HDD works just fine when I use it as an external HDD via adapter. Strange huh?
    Kim
    W540( ), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold) Tablet 2( ), X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, X32*4, 701C*4

• External Hard Drive does not work with Lion

Hi
    My External Hard Drive does not work with Lion this message appears:
    NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1
    at /Volumes/My Passport because the following problem occurred:
    /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
    the MacFUSE file system is not available (71)
    can anyone help?

Hi,
    See this Discussion:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191198?start=0&tstart=0
    Cheers,

• I have just installed a new hard drive in my imac intel 20" (2006) and now the hard drive does not show up in the 'select destinations' folder of the install program.

I have just installed a new hard drive in my imac intel 20" (2006) and upgraded the memory and now the hard drive does not show up in the 'select destinations' folder of the install program. I can see the hard drive in the disk utilities window however it wont let me do anything.
    It is a seagate 1TB SATA II drive however it is displaying it as a 7.3 TB.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.
    I have tried to erase and partition and get the same error message each time, 'Input/Output error'.
    I have tried starting the thing with the install disk which is Mac OS X (Tiger?) which came with the computer. No good.
    Anyone?

Thats correct. I can see it in the list however when I attempt to erase it or partition it it's like it's not being found or recognised and it throws up the input/output error message. I am pretty sure that the sensor it attached correctly and it is a SATA drive. I can see all the infor regarding the drive when disk utility is open and it all looks good but I cant access it or do anything with it. It's taunting me!
    The install disk is in the drive and the install program runs right up to the point where you have to select the location for the install and there is just nothing in the box where you have to select the hard drive icon.
    I have my suspiscions about the drive but any help would be appreciated.

• Ibook g3 hard drive does not show up after new installation

I have an older ibook g3. I purchased a 20gb hard drive to replace the dead 10gb hard drive that came with the computer when I bought it new. The installation was fairly easy. After the hard drive was installed and everything was put back together I turned on the computer and loaded the install disk into the cd tray. The new hard drive does not show up in order to install the operating system. What do I need to do in order to get the hard drive to show up?
    Scott

Hey Scott,
    The new hard drive does not show up in order to install the operating system. What do I need to do in order to get the hard drive to show up?
    When you're in the installer go up to the top menu bar under utilities? or tools? and start up disk utilities. See if you see the hard drive there. If so it might not be formatted correctly so erase it and format it for your install (usually Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That should make it show up.
    Richard

• External hard drive does not show up

External hard drive does not show up in imovie.

Hi,
    Welcome to the Discussions.
    The drive's directory is damaged and as you found Disk Utility isn't equipped to repair it. You need Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro.
    John

• My external hard drive does not show up on my desktop

My external hard drive does not show up on my dest top but, does shows in my Windows (vmware fusion) end although I can't see it ob my desktop but, I can eject it properly like any external drive. I have connected it to my windows and ejected properly (per the suggestion of someone on this forum) but, it still doesn't show on my Mac. I see the blue light and hear it running though. I have looked for it in disk utility but, still can find it. I have changed the cable and it still did not show on my Mac. I connected another external drive  and that showed up on my desktop.Any help????

if it is NTFS then you need Paragon Software NTFS for Mac.
    NTFS volumes are suppose to be read only but in practice external drives don't always mount or work.
    If it is not NTFS then you need more details. Need more anyway.
    PS: this is not a MacBook area, it is Mac 65lbs tower related forum.

• HT201250 i have plugged in a hard drive into my macbook, opened time machine, but my hard drive does not appear. why?

i have plugged in a hard drive into my macbook, opened time machine, but my hard drive does not appear. why?

Look in the Utility folder which is located inside the Applications folder.
    You don't want to do anything with the disk on a PC if you want it to work on the Mac. They both use different formats.
    Allan

• My external hard drive does not show when I am trying to open a document in Office Org??

My external hard drive does not show when I am trying to open a document in Office Org?? When looking in the about IMAC system support it shows as being connected. Any ideas??

Does the drive show up under 'Devices' in Finder?

• External hard-drive does not reconnect after sleep

Hi everyone
    I am trying to use my Energy Saver to SLEEP my iMac after 1 hour. It goes to sleep no problem, but on wake-up, my external USB hard drive does not reconnect. There is also an error message that I didn't disconnect the drive properly. I fear this may be one of Mac OS X's "features". Has anyone encountered the same thing?
    On a side note, I also find that my USB keyboard does not always reconnect as well. I use a windows USB mouse that I have connected to wake it from sleep, however my USB keyboard (the small one for Macs), sometimes does not allow me to type unless I unplug it and back in.
    Another point of note is that both the HD and the keyboard are connected to the iMac through a 7 port USB hub.

r_dizzle wrote:
    Another point of note is that both the HD and the keyboard are connected to the iMac through a 7 port USB hub.
    I think this might be the issue. If the iMac is waking back up, it will likely be waking up this HUB, but the HUB might not be re-initialising the connection between OS X and the external drive or the keyboard.
    After waking the iMac, if you unplug the external drive from the HUB, then plug it back in again, does OS X pick it up again? Have you tried plugging the external drive directly into the iMac and then testing what the result is?
    If you read back on what you've said, you pointed out that you have a USB mouse that you use to wake the iMac from sleep. Is this mouse directly connected to the iMac? If so, it surely can't be a coincidence that a directly connected USB device can wake the iMac from sleep, but any USB devices connected to the iMac via a USB HUB cannot.
    I would suggest you test the drive as it is directly connected to the iMac. I would complete the same test with the keyboard too. I think you'll find it's the USB HUB.
    I hope this helps.

• External hard drive does not shut down

Hello, When my mini mac goes to sleep my samsung external hard drive does not shut down or dismount properly. when i wake computer i have a error message stating improperly ejected hard drive. It also does not reconize HD until I disconnect and reconnet??? PLEASE HELP Thank you

My Mini was doing the same thing until I reset the PRAM. With four external drives. They would stop inadvertently with an "improperly ejected" error. Granted two of the drives went bad (6 and 7 years old) but a brand spanking new Seagate and a 3 year old Hitachi drive doing the same. Haven't seen the error since resetting the PRAM.
    If you don't know how to do that, Reboot while holding the Cmd+Opt+P+R keys until your hear the startup chime three times and then release the keys.

• External Hard Drive does not mount

My 2TB external hard drive does not mount and I cannot get it to.  Have tried turning the hard drive off and then back on.  No response.  Any thoughts as to how I can get it to be recognized?

You can try doing a SMC reset, if it doesn't work the first time it's totally OK to reset the SMC several times.
    SMC RESET
    Shut down the computer.
    Unplug the computer's power cord and all peripherals.
    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
    Release the power button.
    Attach the computers power cable.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    PRAM RESET
    Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.

• Hard drive does not appear on the Desktop

Hard drive does not appear on desktop. Can only be found in the applications folder.

Go to Finder -> Preferences, click the General icon, make sure the appropriate box is checked.

Maybe you are looking for

• Problem with R/3 to XI - URGENT

We are trying to bring an IDOC from R/3 to XI and experiecning problem. We need someone who is strong in XI for few hours to resolve this. Effort will be  compensated with a competitive market rate

• Not able to deploy to register my mapping with OEM

I am new to data ware housing.Iam using oracle9i warehouse builder.I created a source,target and mapping between these two using mapping editor.Then I have generated scripts bot not able to make OEM register.When I click the button "OEM register", it

• How to integrate SSRS native mode ( not integrated mode ) report into sharepoint 2010?

I have converted SSRS report from .rdl to .aspx and I can view the report in web browser by enter the .aspx web address. NOW, how can I display this SSRS .aspx report directly in sharepoint page? Any clue?

• 70D EOS utility download

I just purchased the 70D and want to connect it with my Macbook for easy file sharing, but my laptop does not have a CD-ROM drive. I downloaded the utility off the website, but it won't allow me to run it without the CD-ROM that came with the camera.

• Installing Flash Player on Internet Explorer

I am asked to close IE before the download can continue - I am forced to use IE and need Flash to complete assignments the software is not supported by another means.  Please help!