Hard drive password thinkpad t510

I have a laptop model thingPad T510
Forgotten Hard drive password
how can i get in to my system's Hard drive password

the only way to access a modern, password-locked hdd is to remember the password... period.
if you don't remember it, you'll need to replace it.
sorry.
eta: forum rules prohibit password circumvention discussions.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Lenovo-Community-Participation-Rules/m-p/1
"No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc, or to subvert safety measures. Nor shall any posts provide descriptions to the location of, nor direct links to content related to these topics."
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation Rules • Images in posts • Search (Advanced) • Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Y3P • T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Y2P Y13
I am not a Lenovo employee.

Similar Messages

• Does supervisor password sets master hard drive password?

On lost or forgotten password - ThinkPad General we read "setting a supervisor password automatically sets the master hard drive password". This one is a powerful feature that allows administrators recovering disks whose user password has been set to an unknown string.
    Does this feature applies to old systems too, let us say T40 and X40-series ThinkPads, or only to new ones?
    If this feature does not apply to old systems is there a way to set a master password (only a master password, not a user one) on the drives of these old ThinkPads? Up to my knowledge the only choices are user password or master + user password. My goal is providing a mean to recover control on a drive whose user password has been set without requiring users provide a password each time the computer is booted.
    Thanks!
    Edit: found a reference to supervisor password setting a master hard drive password automatically from march 2008, however I am interested in computers from 2004 up to 2006.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

is1981 wrote:
    Does this feature applies to old systems too, let us say T40 and X40-series ThinkPads, or only to new ones?
    If this feature does not apply to old systems is there a way to set a master password (only a master password, not a user one) on the drives of these old ThinkPads? Up to my knowledge the only choices are user password or master + user password. My goal is providing a mean to recover control on a drive whose user password has been set without requiring users provide a password each time the computer is booted.
    Thanks!
    AFAIK, on the old systems such as T4x/X4x one must set both the user and the master password.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• How to remove hard drive password on a Portege M400-170 ?

Hi,
    I've read a lot of things in this forum, in the user manual, I even phoned the support Toshiba and i've still no answer to my problem.
    At the first use of the PC, i defined a hard drive password. I now want to remove this password.
    The user manual and the forum advise me to open the bios configuration, under windows, wich is supposed to offer the possibility to change and remove password. No option, no possibility to change nor remove the password.
    The phone support tell me that if the bios configuration under windows do not show the option to change or remove password, I have no way to do this (!!?!).
    I need your knowledge and your help :)
    I thank you in advance.
    Thomas (sorry for my english)

> Have you also found follow sentence: but your HDD
    > Password is stored in the HDD unit itself. With
    > other words this password is saved on the HDD and can
    > not be exchanged.
    >
    > Other interesting sentence is: HDD Password is non
    > removable, user must ensure that they have backed
    > up their data.
    I understand this sentence in the context of "If you forget your password".
    I have no doubt you are right but i still search because some informations let me hope it's possible ;-)
    In fact, i think this hdd password prevent me to restore my system with, for example, Norton Ghost (when i boot on the restore cd, i can not see my hdd)...
    Perhaps it's another problem, i don't really know.
    Your opinion ?
    Thomas.

• Need larger capacity Hard Drive for ThinkPad T43 Product: 2668Y4F

Please recommend company web sites that carry compatible 80GB Hard Drive or larger capacity Hard Drives for ThinkPad T43 Product/Model: 2668Y4F. Lenovo apparently does not carry hard drives for older ThinkPad notebooks.
    Please advise. Thank you, Mark
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

PATA/IDE laptop drives have gone the way of dodo bird, for the most part.
    This would be my pick:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-160GB-2-5-HM160HC-Hard-Drive-Brand-New-PATA-IDE-ATA-for-notebook-lap...
    It will throw a "2010 error" on boot, but will work perfectly nevertheless. I've used these drives exclusively prior to converting my fleet T43p units to SATA.
    I'm NOT affiliated with the seller in any way. Proceed at your own risk.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• T41 hard drive password changed with "load defaults"

Hi, I have a T41 laptop and it has a hard drive password.  I wanted to get rid of the password, so I chose "load setup defaults".  That didn't get rid of the password, but instead changed it to something else.  The password is different now, does anybody know what it defaulted to?
    Thanks

gigahurts wrote:
    I'll give that a try.  However, I can not get into the bios without taking the hard drive out.  Are you suggesting that I take the drive out, enable the passphrase option (it is currently disabled), put the drive back in and try that?
    Trying will not hurt and will also not set you back as you can always reverse the changed settings.
    gigahurts wrote:
    ..snip..
    This laptop was given to me by the work several years ago.
    Surely you could have asked them for the password or that they delete it for you?
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Hard Drive password not accepted in new W530

I am moving a hard drive from a W500 to a W530 laptop.  The hard drive has a password on it and it works fine on the W500. When I put the drive in the W530 laptop, it does not accept the password on boot up. If I move the drive back to the W500, it all works fine.  This is a 1TB drive, so I'm hoping I can still use it! Thanks for any help here.

Good afternoon and welcome to the community.
    Since the HDD password is accepted when it's installed in the W500, why not pull off the password in BIOS there, reinstall the drive into the W530 and then set the password in the W530's BIOS?
    Regards.
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество
    Community Resources: Participation Rules • Images in posts • Search (Advanced) • Private Messaging
    PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
    X1C3 Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Y3P • T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Y2P Y13
    I am not a Lenovo employee.

• New hard drive in my T510, which wireless/e​thernet driver to use?

Hello all,
    I just replaced the hard drive in my Thinkpad t510, and I can't connect to the internet. The computer functions fine, but neither wireless nor wired internet connections work. The computer says that there are no wireless connections available, even though I know my wireless modem is functioning. I tried to run diagnostics, but they haven't suggested any possible solutions.
    I believe I need to install some new drivers for wireless and wired internet usage. Which ones should I use? I have a Thinkpad t510 with a 64-bit Windows 7 OS. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Hello and welcome,
    There are several WLAN card possibilities.  It would help to have your MT-M (like 1234-xyz) from the sticker on your laptop.  That will (probably) allow figuring out what the wifi card is.  Otherwise, the info (device ID or description) from Device Manager should do it.
    Another way to get there: there's only one wired NIC option.  Install the Win 7 64 driver and then install ThinkVantage System Update and let it find the rest of the drivers for you.
    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mob​iles/6irf26ww_64.exe
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

• Time Capsule and Hard Drive Password on a PC

I have been using my Time Capsule with a PC for some time now and it works perfectly but I have one gripe. Every time I switch on my computer and the backup program runs I have to enter the password for the hard drive (not the network password) in the time capsule. Does anyone know if you can switch off the password?
    I only have to enter the password once, if I leave the computer on you don't have to enter it again to access the hard drive on the time capsule.

I believe you can just open the airport utility, enter manual setup, and click on the disc tab, then click on sharing, on the secure disk dialog box select with accounts.

• Add additional internal hard drive to thinkpad z61m

does anyone know if it is possible to add an additonal hard drive to the thinkpad z61m?
    if so, can you give me the link to the hard drive and whatever else i would need?
    thank you
    cg

The cd drive you have resides in a ultrabay enhanced bay, which is also compatible with the ultrabay slim devices, you would need the ultrabay slim caddy to install the hdd. 
    http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/auweb/LenovoPortal/en_AU/catalog.workflow:item.det...
    this is the part you need.
    Yes it will work in your machine.  
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• IMac restored from external hard drive-password wont work

I just had my iMac wiped clean and migrated my information from an external hard drive however after migrating everything to the clean machine, the password wont work and when I attempt to reset it via the apple id, it wont go through even though I have checked and rechecked that I am using the correct information.
    help!

First, make sure caps lock is not on.
    Another reason why your password might not be recognized is that the keyboard layout (input source) has been switched without your realizing it. At the login screen, you can cycle through the available layouts by pressing the key combination  command-space or command-option-space. See this support article.
    Otherwise*, boot into Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select
    Utilities ▹ Terminal
    from the menu bar. In the window that opens, type this:
    res
    Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:
    resetpassword
    Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Close the Terminal window to get it out of the way.
    Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.
    Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.
    Follow the prompts to reset the password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.
    Select
     ▹ Restart
    from the menu bar.
    You should now be able to log in with the new password, but your Keychain will be reset (empty.) If you've forgotten the Keychain password (which is ordinarily the same as your login password), there's no way to recover it.
    *Note: If you've activated FileVault, this procedure doesn't apply. Follow instead these instructions.

• T60P: Problem with hard drive password

Hello, I have a T61P that broke.  Both the BIOS and the hard drive were protected by a password.  I have a spare T60P that I swapped the hard drive into but for some reason the password will not work.
    I know 100% that the password that I am entering for the hard drive is correct as I've been using it everyday for the last 8 months.  Is it something between the two models that would cause a problem? 
    I know the passwords are stored on the drives themselves so I don't suppose upgrading the BIOS would help.
    Moderator note: Type added to subject line for clarity.
    Message Edited by Agotthelf on 27-04-2009 09:12 AM

The extended hardware tests say theres no problem.
    In verbose mode it says theres an I/O error on my boot hard drive and it automatically did this fsck_hfs thing and logs the errors:
    disk0s2: I/O error.
    0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Write] [PBlkNum 26847808] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 152701040] [FSLogMsgOrger First]
    0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode /dev/disk0s2] [MountPt > [Path /private/var/log/fsck_hfs.log] [FSLogMsgID 152701040] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]
    disk: I/O error.
    0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Write] [PBlkNum 35374328] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 1260953185] [FSLogMsgOrger First]
    0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode /devfs] [MountPt /dev] [Path /dev/disk0s2] [FSLogMsgID 1260953185] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]
    s;AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0x7179800, 2 -> 1) timed out after 100105 ms
    (By the way I had to rewrite these from a picture I took. None of these actually got logged, probably because of writing errors. The logs on the console showed only the successful boots done when I booted via usb)
    In single user mode I ran fsck -fy and it picked up no errors saying that Macintosh HD appears to be okay. So i'm thinking the errors aren't to do with reading the hard drive but writing on it.
    Edit: for some reason the square brackets and slashes are being confused as format changes in the post so heres a screenshot: http://grab.by/7nBl
    Message was edited by: jvaity

• Airport extreme hard drive password protecting files?

i share the hard drive with 2 others in my house and we each have folders in the drive with our names on them. i am new to a mac so forgive me if this is a stupid question. i was wondering if you could password protect folders on a hard drive?
    thanks, aaron

Click here and follow the instructions. The image cannot be opened on a PC.
    (30316)

• HELP: How do you make a hard drive password on my T61?

I want to encrypt my hard drive with a password. Can someone give me a source on how to do it or step by step instructions. I have a Lenovo T61.

You can with the chmod and chown Terminal commands. For the former, see http://www.dzinemaster.com/chmod.html. The rest is left as an exercise.

• Recovering Master Hard Drive Password

Is it possible to recovery the Master HDP?
    I've been using my system for a year now without any issues. I can log into the biso and access the system via the User HDP. However I've recently logged into my BIOS and noticed that a master HDP is set. I've checked my password list and don't see it so I'm wondering if its possible to disable it with some ThinkVantage software?  As stated before I can log into Win XP and do everything just fine.
    If it can't be removed, does that mean that I can't more the hard drive to another system?
    T500 2081 CTO ~ T9600 2.8GHz ~ WXP Pro 32bit ~ WSXGA+ 15.4 LED ~ATI 3650 ~ 4GB DDR3 RAM ~ 500GB WD 7200rpm
    Camera ~ AT&T WWAN ~ CD/DVD Combo Drive ~ Intel WiFi 5300 AGN
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Quick question but I'm guessing that the password is stored on the drive right? Basically if I put a clean HD into the HD0 Slot of my T500, it won't automaticlaly be password protected, with the same UHDP and MHDP right?
    T500 2081 CTO ~ T9600 2.8GHz ~ WXP Pro 32bit ~ WSXGA+ 15.4 LED ~ATI 3650 ~ 4GB DDR3 RAM ~ 500GB WD 7200rpm
    Camera ~ AT&T WWAN ~ CD/DVD Combo Drive ~ Intel WiFi 5300 AGN

• Installation of new Hard Drive of Thinkpad X41

I know How to put the hard drive in its slot of thinkpad X41, But how to reload the OS and the drivers and the thinkvantage software. I think, this is not available in the fresh hard disk. I have given the recovery CD set (6 numbers) by IBM. I do not know, which one is the XP OS CD or the recovery DCS can install the OS also besides the drivers.
    I seek help fomr the community of fresh install of OS and drivers in an upgraded hard disk of thinkpad X41.
    Thanking you
    A. Sarangi

Thanks for the response. Well, I have DVD ROM drive in the ultra bay. So, I have to change the booting sequence using access IBM button and put the CD sent by IBM as instructed by the system? Will it work and install OS, driver and thinkvantage with partition?
    Please help or let me know, If I need a multi burner drive for this?
    Message Edited by sarangi08 on 09-16-2008 09:48 AM

Maybe you are looking for

• **Tech explanation why BACKUPS take long, how to make it very short, etc*

I noticed my backups to increase quite a bit over the last few days. I also noticed so many posts on why are backups taking so long, what can I do (only solution given is to click x or modify so that backups are not done, etc). Well to answer all tho

• How do you display a color palette for InDesign

I would like to have a similar color palette displayed that is used in PhotoShop for my InDesign work.  Right now when clicking on a swatch color it brings up the rgb or cmyk sliders, but I would like to have the full color spectrum available to sele

• Budgetting

Dear Experts, One of my client has a requirement that they need to display the budget allocated for the capital goods, consumption of budget as on date and available budget in hand. please provide menu path and the T code. Its an urgent requirement.

• Roll-over images

Does RoboHelp support roll-over images? I've tried every way to insert a roll-over image into my project, including editing the html page in dreamweaver but as soon as I open it up in RoboHelp and generate it the images either does not change or it i

• IOS 6 WIFI drops

Hi all. Since upgrading my ipad 2 to iOS 6 I can start a wireless connection, work for a while, but it drops after 90 seconds each time requiring to connect again. Forget network, reboot, reset network settings, deleting cookies did not help. Any sug