Hard drive screw fell out and doesn't load half the times. (t41)

I have a T41 thinkpad and i saw the screw on the bottom holding the hard-drive is gone.  When i turn off/on computer it sometimes loads, sometimes is very touchy where if i bump lower right side it turns off hard-drive.  What should i do?

Pull the hard drive out entirely, then push it back in as far as it will go...and make a trip to the local hardware store. I'm sure that $1 or less will resolve this issue.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• My aperture library lives on an external hard drive that is corrupt and I can not locate the library. I do have it backed up with TM. How do I safely restore the library from TM to my laptop? I am using the newest version of aperture on my macbook pr

My aperture library lives on an external hard drive that is corrupt and I can not locate the library. I do have it backed up with TM. How do I safely restore the library from TM to my laptop? I am using the newest version of aperture on my macbook pro.

Hello Sandra,
    The article linked below details how to go about restoring items from Time Machine in Snow Leopard.
    Mac OS X 10.6: Recovering items using Time Machine and Spotlight
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6379
    Sincerely,
    Allen

• Hello.... I already loaded logic 9 on my laptop hard drive... I would to load all the samples and loops on an external drive... Do I need to reinstall from DVD's or can I drag and drop?

Hello.... I already loaded logic 9 on my laptop hard drive... I would to load all the samples and loops on an external drive... Do I need to reinstall from DVD's or can I drag and drop?

Thank you.... Would you know where they would be on my hard dive? Are they all together?

• I just replaced my hard drive on my imac and now when i turn the computer on the fan is running and slowly gets louder and louder. how do i turn it off?

I just replace my hard drive on my imac and now when i turn the computer on the fan starts running and keeps getting louder. How do i turn it off?
    thanks.

If your machine was made after 2009 you probably installed th wrong HD. Beginning in 2009 Apple began using HD's that had an integrated fan sensor. If you did not use one of these drives then that is the problem. You should contact OWC (www.macsales.com) or visit your local AASP and they will help you select the correct HD to use.

• Pages wont load half the time have to close all the way and reopen always says conecting this really started to happen after the last 2 updates

pages wont load half the time have to close all the way and reopen always says connecting this really started to happen after the last 2 updates

Hello,
    The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. <br>
    '''Note''': ''This will cause you to lose any Extensions and some Preferences.''
    *Open websites will not be saved in Firefox versions lower than 25.
    To Reset Firefox do the following:
    #Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
    #Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
    #Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
    #Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
    Further information can be found in the [[Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems]] article.
    Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
    Thank you.

• HT4993 I have an IPhone 5 and my on and off button works half the time. I have the aple care protection plan. How should I repair this problem?

My on and off button works half the time. How can I fix it? I have the aple care protection.

mende1 wrote:
    AppleCare is relevant in case the OP isn't near any Apple Retail Store and he/she has to contact with Apple by phone. The iPhone only comes with 90 days of free telephone support, and without AppleCare, he/she would have to pay
    Well, yes and no. If you call to arrange a repair there is no charge for the call. For tech support other than a repair there is.

• Mail doesn't send half the time

My SMTP server is TalkTalk ( UK) and when I send mail it works fine... half the time.
    The other half I get the 'sending' wheel spinning. nothing in my activity window, and eventually the following alert:
    <Cannot send message using the server smtp.talktalk.net>
    Sometimes, the message appears simultaneously as I get the 'whoosh' of sent mail and when I 'Try with Selected Server' the email goes immediately, and my correspondents report a double post!
    Other times, I get no whoosh, I 'Try With Selected server' and then I get the whoosh.
    So the server is fine.
    There is something wrong with my mac
    any ideas?
    peter

I will ask them what their time-out is, thanks.
    I tend to avoid automated downloads/uploads and have everything set to manual, as I use my mac for audio production and don't like the idea of background tasks suddenly kicking in ( while perhaps recording or rendering is taking place) . It probably doesn't matter with the new processors, but it's a habit I will stick to until proven unnecessary.
    What I should really do is have a boot partition just for audio, but I rather like being able to instantly switch tasks - I have a very disorganised lifestyle
    'Blink': sorry - this is jargon from my online conferencing system, cix. It uses a Mail-type reader to run conversations offline rather than using it as an online forum. It means a simultaneous upload/download of messages.
    peter

• Chrome doesn't start half the time after upgrading to Lion.

When I click on the Google Chrome icon either on the dock or from Applications, nothing happens half the time. The icon on the dock doesn't do the bouncy thing any more, it just sits there like a smug little twit, taunting me, daring me to do something. If I logout and login, it often starts working. Sometimes I need to reboot the machine. Lion is updated on a daily basis, so it isn't old OS libraries that's causing the problem. Any suggestions?

odd, works here like a charm..
    try this..(i assume you have installed this under applications and no other google products installed)
    remove google chrome.app
    remove <username>/library/google
    remove <username>/library/application support/google
    remove /library/google
    after that reboot and try to reinstall google chrome

• HT4914 all my songs ive uploaded from my hard drive are greyed out and wont play on my phone. any advice?

all my songs are greyed out and wont play

Turn on the iCloud Download column in your song list in iTunes and that way you'll be able to see what has been copied to the cloud and what hasn't.
    What is the size of your music library and what is the size of your hard drive?

• Time machine would back up only the first time after I shut off my imac and started it up again.  Then it would fail or claim it could not locate my external Hard Drive even though it's icon was showing in the time machine dialog window.

Time machine only ever backed up the first time it runs immediately after I start up my computer after it has been shut off.  All other back up attemps fail.  Recently it stopped recognizing the icon for my external hard drive in the time machine dialog window where you select the hard drive to back up to, and turn on and off the time machine function.  Now the external HD icon only shows up on the desk top but no longer in the dialog box. I just tried shutting the computer off and turning it on again and now the light is on, on the external hard drive but the icon does not even appear on the desk top.
    The external hard drive is a 1TB Seagate. The drive still has plenty of unused capacity.  I ran a diagnostic test on it. It said the disk needed repair but the repair function would not work. The message stated that it could not be unmounted and repair is not available because the disk can't be written to. The Mac OX utility said the disk can still be opened but can't be changed nor repaired.  The external HD is not S.M.A.R.T. supported.
    I haven't tried replacing the cable yet. Is that the next thing I should try?

What Mac OSX version are your running ("iOS" as shown in your profile cannot run on a Mac computer)?

• Hard Drive will not boot...99.9% of the time

Hello all,
    I have a 2.0 Ghz MBP that is now about a year and a half old. It's been problem free since i got it, but last week I had my first encounter with the flashing question mark folder, so I started figuring out ways to fix. I put in my install disc for OSX and ran disk utility, but the hard drive wasn't recognized. I then ran the computer in TDM, but my G4 wouldn't recognize it. I tried resetting the PRAM to no avail. It seemed hopeless, but last night I held option during startup and my HD appeared instantly. I selected it, and my computer started up no problem. Having gotten in to my hard disk, I ran disk utility to verify the drive. I had to cancel the verification right after it started because I wanted to wait until i could plug it in to the power adapter. However, this only brought up a pinwheel for disk utility, and an eventual lockup. I tried a hard reboot, but ever since ive only gotten that flashing folder icon, and when I try booting to the startup disk menu, the screen is gray for about three minutes, then a cursor appears (no disks)
    I remain hopeful for the fact that my hard drive is accessible, albeit with a good deal of luck. I suppose that means its not completely lost. Somebody, please help me with something i havent tried
    Cheers

If the drive does not appear in Disk Utility then your drive is shot and needs to be replaced. However, if the drive entry appears (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) then the drive may be OK, but your volume is shot. In this case repartition and reformat the drive.

• Hp dvd 1040i Disk tray doesn't open half the time

My disk tray is awful to try to open. I press the button, activity light, lights, but the tray doesn't open. Press and hold the button and the same thing happens. I have to go into Windows Explorer (XP sp3) and right click the drive and select "eject" to get the disk tray open. About 10% of the time the button described above does work, 90% not.
    I noticed in my device manager the drive is described as "HP DVD WRITER 1040d". Did I get the wrong driver with this drive?  I cannot find any DVD support on the HP site.

I wanted to add that the "pin method" of opening the drive is also requires multiple tries and seems no more successful overall than just pushing the button repeatedly.  I actually have the best luck getting them to open by applying leverage with the tip of a knife as I push the button. 

• My computer crashed and my hard drive is wiped out. How do I get the songs from itunes that are loaded on to my ipod back on my computer and in my itunes library?  In the simpliest terms possible, please.

Anyone able to help me with this...I have to redo my ipod and my husbands...My back up was on my hardrive and now that is gone...All I have is what is on my ipod...

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

• I had my itunes on my hard drive (taken off phone), and my elderly mother deleted the itunes icon, placed it in recycling and deleted the recycling, how do I or can I get those songs back....please help.

Anyone know who I can contact besides 1800myiphone, to see if I can get my itunes (my songs) re-placed on my phone. My elderly parent delected the itunes icon (she says she didn't know what it was) and moved it to the recycle bin, and then deleted it. Any help would be appreciated, have spent some time on phone with 800-my-iphone, and got a website, which hasn't helped a bit.Thanks,

It is the users responsibility to maintain a backup of their files.
    If you have failed to keep a backup, that is not good.
    If the content is on your iDevice and it was purchased via iTunes, connect the device (DO NOT SYNC) then select File > Transfer Purchases.
    If the content is on the device but was not purchased via iTunes, you're out of luck mostly.  Do a google search, you can find utilities that will allow you to extract the content.
    If you are in the US and running iTunes 10.3 or later, there is an option to redownload previously purchased iTunes content.  To do this, in iTunes select Purchased, then at the bottom select Download Previously Purchased.  There are options for Music, Apps, and iBooks.  Select the "Not in My Library" option and download what you want.

• Satellite L500: WLan drops out and doesnt work most of the time

hi everyone, i have a toshiba satellite L500 running windows 7. have been using iprimus internet, wirelessly, no problems for a few weeks,before that, was using it via ethernet cable as i didnth ave a wireless modem. my laptop was off charge the other night and went flat, next morning when i woke up and turned it on, it wouldnrt connect to the internet.. after hours and hours of phone calls to iprimus, and numerous winsock resets, ethernet cable testing, and modem resetting, they tell me that the problem is within my laptop...
    So i rang toshiba.. and they got me to go into device managers, and then network adapters, and disable, actually uninstall the wireless drivers, then reinstall.. and it worked.. finally... (forgot to add with all the iprimus confusion someone had reset my passowrd and i had to configure that to the laptop..
    so anyway, after all these calls, i did a complete restore of the laptop, and wiped everything and reinstalled it all, and therefore reinstalled the modem. this time in modem setup it was telling me the wireless network adapter was unplugged, and would only let me set it up via ethernet..
    now earlier today i did have the internet.. but it dropped out randomly.. webpages will go slow, sometimes it will reconnect, other times it wont. now i thougbht i might try and uninstall and reinstall the modem again,s ame error, and this time, cant get on wirelessly at all.
    ive googled to see if others ahve had this problem.. and seeing what other people wrote, i went into my battery settings, and checked the WLAN didnt go into sleep mode etc, and ive also checked everythings enabled. ive no idea what to do,, neither iprimus or Toshiba will give me any anwers, both companies are just blaming each other lol
    so i
    it does appear to be my laptop, as all lights are on modem.. and iprimus keep telling me its not registering with them ( the disconnections) so it must be my wireless. though everytime my laptop dropped out of internet, so would my bfs iphone we were testing, and so did my other laptop which is partially stuffed but could normally still connect to the net.. so thats telling me its a modem problem.. ive no idea what to do.. and cant keep this via ethernet on the bench in this new hosue ive moved into,as with 2 kids under 3, thats just asking for trouble..
    anyone have any suggestion??
    thanks in advance

wel after many more phone calls to iprimus, i finally found a helpful indian, who ran me through the modem setup AGAIN like everyone else has, this time in its security settings, he got me to change the wireless signal channel from 2 to 9, said that would improve the signal, every other person when explaining the issues i was having, always told me to set it on 2.. so this has improved it dramatically in the day, but at night, particulary around 830pm, it drops out over and over and over...
    would this just be a faulty modem, and perhaps buying oen from a harvery norman etc would be better?? or could it just be iprimus as a whole with there wireless coverage? im not in an iprimus area, theyve borrowed the lines of telstra or something.. so im on a crappier plan in this new house, and dont have adsl2 just 1500 speed. would this have anythign to do with the poor reception, or perhaps is there something in my house interfearing, or in my neighbors house? there is a satelite here, but no actual foxtel connected, looks as though it has been before. there is also an alarm here, not in use though.. ive not even seen if it turns on..

Maybe you are looking for

• Using mac as iPhone Display

I have this future music magazine app: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id451416904?mt=8&affId=1621074&ign-mpt=uo%3D6 Its really nice... I can read a digital version of the magazine on my ios device at anytime i wish . The only problem is that the onl

• IPod not showing up in iTunes 7

I downloaded the newest version of iTunes the other day and now my iPod no longer appears on the screen. I've tried plugging and unplugging it many times. The DO NOT DISCONNECT icon appears on the screen but then immediately disappears even though th

• Update all apps does not work

Since the previous version of iTunes and including the new one I just installed (11.3) doe not work as expected, or as it used to. When I check for my installed Apps, and there are more than one app to update, I click the option in the bottom right t

• Revaluation accounting not getting posted

when we are doing a revulation entry regarding assets everything is going fine but no accounting entry is being posted. system doesnot generates any error also

• Illustrator CS6 document just scrolls right off the screen

I have opened a previously-created document in Illustrator CS6 and the document just scrolls right off the screen.  I can't select anything on it; it goes right off the screen and continues scrolling off the page