Headphone jack is broken! [T500]

I'm always using headphones while on my computer.  Earlier today, my headphone jack no longer works.  Even when the headphones are plugged in, audio only comes out of the speakers.  At first I thought it was an audio driver problem so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.  It still wasn't working on my Windows 7 drive.  So I then swapped in my XP drive and the audio still wasn't working.  It won't work on my Ubuntu drive either.  I blew some compressed air into the jack but it didn't fix the problem.  Obviously it's an internal hardware problem.  I'm out of my warranty (bought in June 2009, only got a 1-year warranty).  I'm a college student and this is my only computer.  How much will it cost for my laptop to get fixed?  Is it possible for me to make the repair by myself?  Please help.  I'm very distraught.

if it is indeed the headphone jack that is the issue, then it is very difficult to repair it. I suggest you get a usb sound card or a expresscard sound card (the latter is better since it sits flush in the system). 
Regards,
Jin Li
May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Similar Messages

• If my beats headphone jack is broken can you replace it

if my beats headphone jack is broken can you replace it

Take it to the Apple store and find out.
    No one here can say for certain as we are users like yourself.

• The headphone jack is broken

I Own a 7th generation iPod classic. I dropped it the other day, and now when I plug in my headphones audio only comes out from one side . I used multiple headphones so , I know the problem is the iPod. I looked in the headphone jack and one side is broken . Is it possible to fix this problem ?

The jack is broken. You can buy and fit a new headphone jack/hold switch assembly. Getting the iPod opened up is a little tricky but there are video tutorials to help out. I've done several of these and also battery swap outs.
    tt2

• Headphone jack is broken but works when i forcibly push the earphones in

okay so it seems like the headphone jack on my ipod classic 160gb (which is well out of warranty) is broken as it only works on one channel no matter what headphones i use, but when i push it in forcibly it still works in both ears for a second, but I can't hold it for long. I've tried cleaning any dust out with cotton buds and a can of compressed air but had no luck so far, should I persevere with this method or is there a chance the jack is still broken?
    cheers

The jack is broken. You can buy and fit a new headphone jack/hold switch assembly. Getting the iPod opened up is a little tricky but there are video tutorials to help out. I've done several of these and also battery swap outs.
    tt2

• Headphone jack pins broken (iPod touch 5th gen.)

One of the two small pins inside my iPod touch's headphone jack sticks out too far, pushing out any jack I use with my iPod. Any ideas on how to fix this or for what cost Apple can do this? (I have no more warranty).

Broken headphone jack! 3.5mm dillemma. Help. Please.
    How do I remove a tip of a headphone GLUED into my headphone jack ?
    If an Apple Genius can't remove the broken part or it damaged the headphone jack
    If not covered by warranty Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for $99 for a 16 GB 5G and $149 for the other 5Gs. They do not fix yours.
    Apple - iPod Repair price                                    
    A third-party place like the following maybe able to replace the jack for less. Google for more.
    iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens         
    Replace the jack yourself if you are up to it
      iPod Touch Repair – iFixit          

• Headphone Jack has broken - dock adaptor 3.5mm female?

Recently, my 3.5mm headphone jack for my 5.5video 30gb ipod has broken, it only played out of the left channel and is really distorted, is there an adaptor to get the dock connector to connect to my headphones - such as http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-35508-Connector-3-5mm/dp/B000J022G6 but to female. It's also important to keep good sound quality to me, thanks.

There are online places that can replace the headphone jack for you and many have one day turn around service.
    Patrick

• Headphone Jack Problem/Broken??

So I plugged in a headphone splitter to the headphone jack on my mac and now when I try to plug in another set of headphones,without the splitter, they don't "Click in" when I plug them in and they aren't held in at all and can be easily pulled out. I don't really know what to do about this if anyone else has had a problem similar to this any help would be great. Thanks in advance

I too had a same problem, when I attached AUX IN pin of my car to my ipad it got stucked in it.I went to Apple Store, they were helpless and asked me to replace it with new one for 16000 INR.
    What I did is, I took a refill of a pen and sharped its back so that it exactly sits into the gap. After thar I applied some pressure and pulled it out...I got the remaining part wich was stucked.
    Try this, I hope this is risk free. All the Best.

• Xperia Z2 headphone jack ring broken off, still waterproof?

Hi,
    The ring that goes around the headphone jack for my Xperia Z2 broke off (im assuming it may have been used to seal the phone from water?), will my phone still be waterproof?
    Thanks

You need to stop by a sony service:
    http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J.R.R. Tolkien

• Headphone jack is broken?

I bought my iPod touch in early August and for about 3 months now, every time I plug my headphones into the headphone jack, only the right headphone plays any music unless I torque the headphones a certain way ie: pushing and holding them in.
    Is this a hardware problem? Because apparently my boyfriend's friend had the same problem with his iPod touch...

Notice how much thinner your iPod Touch is than your other ones? Or you were just lucky.
    When you wrap your headphones around your Touch, iPod, etc., with the headphones still plugged in you put lateral torque on the headphone jack. Eventually it is going to pull it sideways enough that the small headphone connection begins to break.
    Before wrapping them carefully unplug the headphone jack, never pulling by the cord, then wrap them.
    But in the meantime it will be covered under your warranty. Are you near an Apple Store?

• 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack has broken. I want money, Apple.

I went to the Apple store today and found out that I have been inflicting irreversible damage to my iPod by wrapping the earphones around it when I'm not using it. Apple told me that, +while this is a common problem+, they don't replace or repair the earphone socket. When my mom questioned why no one told me that wrapping is harmful, they shrugged and said that +it wasn't a common enough problem to publicize it+. *Furthermore*, this is the *exact* same problem that broke my last iPod. No one even mentioned a '+stressed left ear sensor+' back then. Apple has cost me (old iPod + new iPod prices) +$550+ for _THEIR LACK OF PUBLICITY ON THE SUBJECT_. I've been looking through the iPod touch safety manual and it says absolutely nothing on this problem. I request a *repair* and an _OFFICIAL warning from Apple_ so that other users will not fall victim to this.

yrneh1009 wrote:
    That's why I am frustrated. I didn't know it was harming my iPod. +I didn't even know it was putting stress on the socket+. No one informed me of my error, not even after the first time. Besides, coffee is naturally hot. You expect it to be like that when you order it. The iPod is a portable music-playing device, so it's only natural that someone should capitalize on this by wrapping the headphones around it. I know I'm not the only who does this, so I'm disappointed in Apple for not issuing a warning.
    The coffee comment was referring to a lady that sued McDonalds when she spilled coffee in her lap and got burned. At some point people have to take some personal responsibility and quit blaming someone else for their mistakes. Apple does not state in their warranty every specific thing that can invalidate the warranty. That would be impossible.
    The coffee comment was referring to a lady that sued McDonalds when she spilled coffee in her lap and got burned. Of course it was hot. She would have complained if it wasn't. At some point people have to take some personal responsibility and quit blaming someone else for their mistakes. If you are concerned with your earphone cables lying around, you could get a set of bluetooth headphones.

• My headphone jack is broken because I have to twist the headphones to get them to receive the sound, my ipad is rented out to me from school, how do I fix it without resetting the ipad?

It's my schools ipad and I have to turn it in by summer but this ipad I will have for the next 4 years so if I could have some help it would be nice.

Someone within your school - or district - is the focal point for IT, and that person needs to be made aware of the situation.  Whether the school can perform repairs on its own, has a third-party to do so, or returns the device to Apple for repair or replacement, you need to notify the person responsible.  Too, before any sort of repair is considered, you should back up all data.

• Hey my headphone jack was broken and got stuck in may ipad, am not getting the audio output. Is there any solution for my problem

Please do help me

I too had a same problem, when I attached AUX IN pin of my car to my ipad it got stucked in it.I went to Apple Store, they were helpless and asked me to replace it with new one for 16000 INR.
    What I did is, I took a refill of a pen and sharped its back so that it exactly sits into the gap. After thar I applied some pressure and pulled it out...I got the remaining part wich was stucked.
    Try this, I hope this is risk free. All the Best.

• Headphone jack BROKEN

Hey all,
    I have one question, one major problem,
    i Have a 5th generation video Ipod (late 2006), with a broken headphone jack. its broken because only my music comes out of the left headphone/speaker. i know its not my headphones because i have pluged it to my come speakers, and various headphones that all work. i can get sound to come out of the right head phone speak some times if i push and hold back the headphones jack while its plugged in. other than that i can't get any sound out at all. If someone could point me in the direction to contact Apple directly or could offer up solutions or any help that would be great.
    Thank you

well i figured there would be some kina charge, however....
    unfortuenly idk bout the warrenty i looked it up, and it was non-sense to me. i beilieve it ment something like i have 8 months on it or something, ill look it up again. i just hope it is, cause im guessing if it isnt, i'll have to tell my parents...(dun dun dun....) ok ill try to remeber to call em tomarrow lol. idk i like this kina answer, (have a thought bout corp. that they dont really care bout you, just the money.) by the way where you find that number? and WHY CANT APPLE BEE EASIER TO CONTACT VIA EMAIL or something?
    thanz philly for helping.
    if something comes up, ill probly ask you since it looks like you know what your talking bout.

• Broken headphone jack! 3.5mm dillemma. Help. Please.

Hi.
    So my headphone jack has broken off clean into two pieces.
    The trouble is the 3.5mm jack protuberant is now stuck inside my iTouch and due to the amazing self-locking mechanism of earphone/headphone ends, it will not come out, whatever I do.
    Tweezers have not helped, neither has a small magnet.
    I'm glad I gave up on the magnet for I have now come to know that the hdd is right next to the earphone socket.
    Anyway, I need help.
    How do I get that broken-piece out of the socket?!
    Please. Help.
    Many thanks, in advance.
    - AP.

Guys,
    It is done! It's out! I have achieved what surely seemed impossibe. I mean the things I tried with my iPod Touch, be it tweezers, pliers, glues, toothpicks, ear-buds.
    I read about all of these wondorous ideas and plans online, to take out that unholy peice of metal lodged in my iTouch socket.
    But anyway, yesterday you guys gave me some good tips. I was about half-way in the decision making process of making appointment with The Store and almost about ready to dive into what Alex suggested up here.
    But then this evening, something made me go back to glue.
    Glue, the creation of the century. Or well, maybe last century, or the one before that, I'm not sure when glue was dicovered/invented.
    Anyway, getting to the point. It's out.
    All I did, was make another failed attempt with the squared-off end of a tooth-pick dipped is some superglue. Like always, it stuck to the little golden 1mm protuberant like a charm. One pull, and it came off, while the thing was still lodged inside.
    I went back to the headphones. I saw the broken off jack and realized, there was a bit of a cavity at the point where the jack had broken off. So I gave a tiny squeeze to the superglue pen and filled the cavity with just about a single drop of glue. Next, I rammed the headphone jack back into the socket.
    I swear I wasn't expecting anything to happen. Barely 10 seconds into the "Eureka attempt", I don't know what came over me and I just pulled on the cord.
    And there it was! IT WAS OUT.
    Simple. Effective.
    The solution always is right next to the where the problem began.
    I should add, the speaker on the iTouch works fine, like everything else.
    BUT, when I plugged in my new headphones, there's no output to the RIGHT channel.
    I must say, this makes me sad. I don't know if I messed up something with the glue or pliers. Can't say.
    I might have done some damage to those tiny silver dot like things on the socket wall which act like the self-locking mechanism for earphones/headphones.
    Anyway, if it does end up working again, I'll be sure to let you guys know.
    Many thanks again for the help.
    Cheers.
    - An overjoyed AP.

• Headphone Jack Problem - Volume Increases and Decreases Randomly

Hi, has anyone encountered this problem?
    Whenever I plug in earphones the volume increases or decreases without me even touching the phone. It also disconnects alot whenever the earphones are moved.
    I have already updated my phone to the latest software and also did a factory reset however the problem is still there. I guess the headphone jack is broken, guess I will have to send it in for repairs

You can either return it to the place of purchase or contact Xperia care http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/
    For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Maybe you are looking for

• Drill functionality on filter bar of Webi with BEx don't work

Hi experts! I'm with the same problem that other thread Drill Functionality not working. I'm working with webi and BEx on BO 4.0 SP5 Patch 2. There is a fix prevision for this problem or a SAP note about this?

• Change of BP name in BP Master to have respective change in open documents

Example, there is a BP Code A0001, BP name ABC Pte Ltd. There are some sales order for A0001 with the name as ABC Pte Ltd. There is a change in the BP name to ABC Trading Pte Ltd in the Business Partner Master. Issue: 1) The open sales order still re

• New 2012 iMac slower SD renders from AE than a 2007 MacPro?

Hi there - I just purchased a new iMac for our small production house.  99% of the time, we are loving the machine: the performance, the stability, the speed, are all significant improvements over our 5 year-old Mac Pros.  We have run numerous tests

• Phillips date conversion problems

Hi chaps, I am trying to convert a CHAR7 field from a phillips date, into an Oracle date format. The following expression does not work: SELECT TO_DATE('2006214', 'YYYYWWD') FROM dual (gives error "ORA-01820: format code cannot appear in date input f

• Getting back text messages and videos

My iphone was freezing up, so I restored it. I was able to sync and get everything back except my old text messages and a few videos is there anyway I can get them back?