High temperatur​e after replacing the CPU T2500 - T7200 in T60

After replacing the CPU from T2500 to T7200 CPU temperature ranges from 70-85C. It seems to me high, I think about replacing thermal grease or thermal paste application. What's better? Do away with the original gray ribbon and attach a new heatsink or better smear toothpaste?
Solved!
Go to Solution.

orion9727 wrote:
there was a test done and toothpaste came out close to most themal paste.
artic 5 should never be used in a laptop.
it silver and thats a no no on mobile cpu.
use a non conductive one or a thermal pad.
the gray ribbon is a themal pad best to use WHAT CAME IN IT.
reason is that can be a shim and do away with that and no contact.
you went from a 31 watt to a 34 watt TDP not alot but it gonna run hot.
75-80 c is hot yea but you have 65nm cpu class thats gonna run hot because it old and getting a lot of work.
so you all know toothpaste might been used in tests but i not use because it can dry out and you dont know whats in in exacly.
thermal wise i do belive whats in toothpaste is very good thermal wise but stick with the gray ribbon.
Please disregard the above post(er).
I've used AS5 on thousands of ThinkPads with no ill effects, actually the exact opposite. Minimal research of experiences posted by other owners on Bill Morrow's ThinkPad Forum will confirm this statement as well. Arctic Silver is as good as it gets unless one wants to spend $50 for a tube of thermal paste.
To OP, your machine is running way too hot for the CPU in question. My 15" T60p with T7600 idles under 50 degrees C, and doesn't go over 62 in normal use. And yes, it has AS5 in it.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• I'm getting a Plugged in, not charging message after replacing the CPU fan

I just replaced the CPU fan on this notebook last night and finished it today. Its running perfectly at the moment.
    The problem is the windows Task bar on my desktop says "Plugged in, not charging" when I mouse over the battery indicator there. I've tried many things to fix it, from uninstalling or disabling the drivers for the devices involved (the ACPI battery and AC adapter) under Windows' device manager, to swapping out with my spare battery.
    I've also switched power plans on the off chance that could have been causing some kind of battery charging setting. This did not fix it. The AC adapter works. I've been running this notebook for about two hours now searching for a solution, it just won't charge the battery. I've not tried observed it enough but I believe it will charge while powered off, but not while on. The orange LED indicator by the AC adapter port glows when the machine is off, indicating that it is charging.
    I have a feeling the whole "uninstall device drivers for the battery devices" idea is a thing of the past. Everything I found which suggested doing that also mentioned Windows Vista, which at this point in time is a relic (July 2015). When I was replacing the CPU fan, it did get frustrating at times but everything is intact apart from some case clips and a few other plastic case parts. I have reason to believe everything is connected too because its still powered on, meaning its getting power, but it isn't going in to the battery.
    Symptom summary:
    Batteries: OKAC Adapter: OK
    MOBO: PROBABLY OK
    ME: NOT OK   xD

Hey srkv121,
        welcome to the forums
    On
    1. Optimized battery run time, the energy managment completely charges the battery to ensure maximum battery performance
    2. On best battery health, energy management charges only 50% of the battery, it ensures maximum battery life but not performance
    hope this helps
    regards
    Lets make 2015 the year of the #DO
    Did I or someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

• Cooling fans constantly run @ full speed after replacing the upper CPU??

After replacing the upper CPU on a Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Dual 1.8Ghz PowerPC, model M9454LL/A, all the cooling fans constantly run at full speed. All other operations are normal.
    I've read, "...after replacing or switching CPU locations the Logic Board doesn't properly recognize the CPU's in their new location and a "Thermal Calibration" is needed". Could a "Thermal Calibration" possibly correct the constant full fan speed issue?
    What software would be required?

Hi-
    Could a "Thermal Calibration" possibly correct the constant full fan speed issue?
    Yes.
    What software would be required?
    The Apple Service Diagnostic disc (ASD) of the proper version for your machine.
    Call an authorized Apple service provider and arrange a calibration, as the disc is not readily available to individuals.

• After replace the ATX case for K7T Turbo2 mainboard???

hi, Master outhere help plz...
    after replace the ATX case for K7T Turbo2 mainboard??? why not boot up on screen any more , but power running is ok for the CPU fan , if i forgot any thing from this stage plz guide me the step.
    thank for kindly supports soon...

psu max amps better than in old case ?
    got to many stand offs under the board shorting it out ?

• What temperatures are acceptable for the CPU and Graphics card?

I have Intel Xeon X5400 series CPUs and a Nvidia graphics card.  
    It is interesting to monitor the temperatures but only if you know what temps matter...
    What temperatures are acceptable for the CPU and Graphics card? 
    I was not sure if this is the document of choice for the CPU or not. I was not sure I was decifering it correctly either. 
    http://download.intel.com/design/xeon/datashts/318589.pdf
    Any one know what we should be watching for as far as what is too hot? 
    I have a ThinkStation D10.
    Did not see this in the user manual but could have missed it. 

I found my specs:
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5405  @ 2.00GHz
    You are correct. An E series. 
    I was so focused on the upgrade to the X5420 that I forgot what the system came with. 
    So what should I set my sensor high value to on my sensor program that shows up on the panel (taskbar)?
    For the E5405 or the X5420? 
    SIDE NOTE: where can I get 2 E5420s or better cheap? 
    Not ready to give up my filters just yet. I live in a dust factory! 
    My girl friend sews really nice bags but creates sewing dust and fuzz. 
    And well there are natural fibers everywhere...
    So other than the the X5492 (150watts),  the X5482, X5472,  X5470, X5460, X5450 are all 120 watts.
    Like the bulk of the X series...
    The E5405, E5410, E5450, E5440, E5420, E5430, E5470, E5462, E5472 are all 80 watts.
    The L series seems to all be 50 Watts.  
     For many the other Processors see this:
    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon5000/specifications.htm?iid=products_xeon5000+tab_specs
    Message Edited by VitalBodies on 12-06-2008 08:46 PM
    Message Edited by VitalBodies on 12-06-2008 09:03 PM

• Compaq presario cq56 black screen on boot up after replacing the fan and keyboard

Hi the cpu fan on my computer died, so we replaced it and i took the opertunity to replace the keyboard at the same time.
    Now the fan works just fine the blue/white power button works, initially the caps lock button came on and stayed on but no longer comes on at all.
    I am quite the novice in all things computer so think i may have done something stupid, and fried the motherboard, but if anyone could come up with something for me to try before i have to go through replacing that bit i would appreciate it.
    Oh i have tried an external monitor and it says recieving no signal on the screen.
    Thanks for helping

Hi @carriebevan
    Welcome to the HP Community! I saw your post regarding the problem with the notebook going to a black screen after replacing the fan and the keyboard. To be honest with you there isn't a whole lot that I can do for you in this manner. Try seeing if you can get into the operating system using Safe Mode. If you can then we can look at a couple of things.
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.
    Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
    Thank you,
    BHK6
    I work on behalf of HP

• After replacing the hard drive on my G4 Powerbook and reinstalling Tiger I am no longer able to synch between itunes and itunes, it seems that the software on the ipod is of later date than itunes and I am unable to update itunes to the state prior..

After replacing the hard drive on my G4 Powerbook and reinstalling Tiger I am no longer able to synch between itunes and my ipod (Classic 160gb) it would seem that the software on the ipod is of later date than itunes and I am unable to update itunes to the state prior to the original harddrive's failure for Tiger OSX 10.4.11
    Any ideas on the subject would be most helpful
    Thanks in advance
    Dingoh

The last security update released for Tiger users was the 2009-005 update. The latest version of QuickTime is 7.6.4. The last version of iTunes that can run on Tiger is 9.2.1, because 10.0 only supports Mac OS X Leopard and later.
    So, are you on version 9.2.1?
    Was it Tiger or Leopard you had on the drive before?
    iTunes 9.2.1 download...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1056

• Is it possible to replace (not upgrade, just replace) the CPU in my hp pavilion d6-2164ca?

And if it is possible, is it even worth doing?My computer has decided to give me the common problem of not starting up. At first the blinks (no sound) indicated a BIOS issue, but when I attempted to flash the BIOS it didn't work and the LED code changed to a CPU issue instead. I've been told that it isn't likely to be a motherboard issue, but if I did replace the whole motherboard would that replace the CPU as well?
    PLEASE HELP!  I really need my computer back!
    Thank you!

Yes the CPU is socketed and replaceable. However, I have only seen one or two bad processors and dozens if not hundreds of bad motherboards. Usually if you buy a motherboard it does not come with the processor and you swap your old one over. Sometimes on eBay somebody will be selling a combination motherboard and processor. The problem is the Turion M660 is very hard to find for sale. I could not find one online at all to even tell you what the price may be. The M600 is pretty cheap at $33:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Mobile-Turion-II-Ultra-Dual-Core-M600-2-4GHz-2M-s1-TMM600DBO23GQ-/150895...
    The M600 should work and you would give up a couple ticks of processor speed only.

• My hp 7160 wants to print in black only after replacing the yellow cartridge. Any suggestions?

My hp 7160 wants to print in black only after replacing the yellow cartridge. Ink level shows full amount. Test page prints fine.
    I have tried different programs to color print in, all return the same error message.

Hi @obxgirl,
    Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 5510, you are unable to print in black ink.
    I would like you to continue here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.
    Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.
    If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Please let me know which Country/Region you are in as well as the product Warranty status: HP Warranty Checker
    I hope to hear from you soon.
    Thanks,
    HevnLgh
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

• How can I make my wireless keyboard "discoverable" after replacing the batteries?

How can I make my wireless keyboard "discoverable" after replacing the batteries? Bluetooth keyboard setup said my  "keyboard is not connected" when I turned it on today.....assuming the problem was batteries, I replaced them.

I've got it working now.....

• Anybody have problems restoring Iphone 4 for verizon after replacing the LCD

anybody have problems restoring Iphone 4 for verizon after replacing the LCD

i didnt replace the screen on my verizon iphone, but i have had several problems in the past with restoring, however they are always easily solved for me by plugging into another computer and restoring from there once its restored off that computer you can then plug back into your computer and put your info back on.
    also remember to copy the ipsw from your iphone software updates folder onto a flash drive and onto the computer you are using to update to save yourself form downloading the ipsw on that computer (if it is not already on that computer). then just do an option restore by holding option key when you hit restore and select the ipsw you want to restore to.
    hope this helps

• HT201401 s4 iPhone after replacing the screen (no service - Contact sim-No connection wi-fi)

s4 iPhone after replacing the screen (no service - Contact sim-No connection wi-fi) and the device was running before the replacement.
    What is the solution?
    Note I'm not good at speaking in English directly, but used an interpreter because
    I need run two

2-
    And sure that the card is working properly and also there is a Wi-Fi network

• ITunes Lagging after replacing the Hard Drive

Hi Everyone -
    A recent purchase of a MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Non-Glossy (12 days ago).
    Replacement of the HD from Hitatchi to Samsung 'Ultra Quiet' (my Hitatchi was making funky noises)
    Now when I open iTunes (or even Quicktime) to play music, there are MAJOR lags in the system. Spinning Rainbow ball and all. Even after closing iTunes, this still effects the operating system. Mouse is hard to move, programs non-responsive. Total back up.
    - Re-installed iTunes 2x - same results.
    Any suggestions?
    Derek

I am experiencing the same problem.
    I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro's hard disk and used Migration Assistant to transfer everything back to my new hard disk.
    Now, whenever iTunes, Quicktime player or Front Row is launched, there will be very frequent system halts/lags which lasts several seconds each time. Activity Monitor shows that these processes only take up a minor percentage of CPU usage, and there are no other processes consuming the CPU (idle% >90%). Disk activity is also minimal to none. The problem resolves after quitting these programs.
    I have tried zapping the PRAM, clearing system cache, rebuilding permissions and reinstalling Quicktime and iTunes but none of these helped.

• Do I have to reinstall the system again after changing the CPU ?

Hi !
    Today I replaced the old CPU  P3 650 copermine @ 866 mhz with the P3 1000mhz.
    The bus is on 133mhz.
    I am not sure from where the problem is rising, but i am sure that before the change I was not having this problem. Now when I listening to the music , in time to time I experience some skipping or freezing in sound (very quickly) like when you are running out of memory or when u opening a lot of programs and the cpu loads 100%...something like that and this affect the sound.
    Does anyone know if when changing the cpu, its better to reinstall the system again ?  Is it neccesary ?
    Thanks

The heatsing on this cpu in foxon.It is a passive heatsing. The working temperature is about 43 degrees celzius. Quite normal. the cpu is not overclocked.
    I tryed to lower the bus speed from 133 to 126mhz and then I dont have thoose problems. Really weird, because with P3 650 overclocked to 866 / 133 host bus with a golden orb heatsing I had quite the same temperatures without problems.  I tryed also to raise host bus to 135 mhz , but then this problems comes again.  So now I am running a P3 1000mhz @ 950mhz on 126mhz bus speed. Seems that I dont have much choises. if I want to use 1ghz cpu on my mobo , i had to down a little bit a bus speed from 133mhz/33mhz (pci) to 126 mhz/31mhz (pci).
    Can enyone tell me... what do you think : which configuration was faster:
    1. P650/100 mhz Oc to 866mhz/133mhz    - pci 33mhz
    2. P 1000mhz/133 mhz  adjusted to 945mhz/126mhz bus speed  - pci 31mhz
    Thanks for your replies.
    I dont know how many it counts the pci frequqency. this frequancy is adjusted itself and I cant change it.
    The PSU in a 450w newer one. Some strange sounds comes out of it. Also when it was brand new. I replaced it with the same one , but it is the same.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

• How do i replace the cpu on a hp pavilion tx2000 and where can i buy it? thank you

My laptop wont start up, after id the number of blink which is 1, i checked the blinks chat and notice that the problem is the CPU which says is not operational. How can i replace it and where can i buy it?
    Thanks,

do not jump into conclusion with the blink codes only...
    it could be some other problems as well...
    processors dnt go bad tht easilly...
    ||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
    //Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//
    ||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||

Maybe you are looking for