How do I obtain a set of Windows 7 recovery/installation discs (in my case T400)

Half an hours fruitless searching on Lenovo sites has not go me the answer. Well maybe a part number - 04T1506.
Also most helpful links in old posts dump you out to the general support page at Lenovo.
So here's the issue: At work I have a nice Lenovo laptop and have decided to get a used/refurb T400 for home. There are plenty to choose from. A large proportion state that Windows 7 is pre-installed.
The first thing I would do with the machine is a total disc wipe and clean install of Windows 7. Becuase I would have no idea what viruses/stealthware might be on the machine. No system recovery procedure would satisfy me. This is exactly what I've done on previous Windows XP based Lenovos I've had - but I had a 6-disc set called "Product Recovery CD for Type RnR'.
So what does one do with a used (or even departmentally transferred) Windows 7 T400?
How do I order something like part 04T1506? There's no obvious shopping option on the page it's listed on - e.g.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/product-and-parts/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-72806
I want to feel sure about the obtainability and cost of such a disc set BEFORE I make my T400 purchase.
Also, will a license key be needed and will the one on the sticker thats supposed to be attached to the T400 work?
(plenty of reports that these stickers get worn to unreadability)
(in my previous XP case, the OS was recognized as being an OEM one so no key was asked for).
I am sure the answer to this - surprisingly not covered in any Lenovo FAQ - will be of interest to other Lenovo enthusiasts too.

Hi,
You have a few options depending on the "new" machines configuration.
If it came with Windows 7 installed and the recovery partition is intact, you can do a reset to factory state using Rescue and Recovery.  For that matter, maybe it will come with a user-burned set of recovery media.
If it was a Win 7 machine you can do a clean install of Win 7 and activate with the CoA sticker's key - if it's readable.  Follow that by a ThinkVantage System Update install and use it to pull down the appropriate drivers.  Install ISOs are available for download - or borrow install media.
You can contact support.,  They should be able to sell you recovery media - or refer you to someone who can.  Here in the US support can provide the media.  This is if your machine was originally licensed for Win 7.  If it was a Vista machine, support won't provide '7 media.
Otherwise you're looking at buying MS Win 7 media and doing a clean install.
Z.
UK support:
United Kingdom
THINK-branded products
English
08705-500-900
(Standard warranty support)
9 AM - 6 PM
Monday - Friday
The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Similar Messages

• Windows 7 installer disc not recognised

I'm running a mac mini 3.1 with 10.6.8. When the bootcamp assistant asks for the windows 7 installer disc, it is not recognised and ejects.
    The disc can be read by my Macbookpro however, and the mac mini reads other discs. Do I need other drivers , is the mini even compatable?

Redownload and burn it at a slower setting in Disk Utility.

• HT1338 hi,i m using osx lion 10.7,5. how could i reset( factory setting),becouse any recovery cd didn't come with this laptop.thanks

hi,i m using osx lion 10.7,5. how could i reset( factory setting) every thing, becouse any recovery cd didn't come with this laptop.thanks

Restart with the Option key held down and use the preloaded recovery partition.
    (73315)

• Where can i get a windows 7 installation disc, and how much would it cost.

I need to know where i can get this installation disc, could somebody send me a link to like amazon where i could buy the disc. Please help me out.

If you have some Windows experience, you could get the Windows 8 Customer Preview which will last until next January. It is free. Possibly Windows 7 will cost less after 8 is available
    at cost (like an old iPad?).
    There is also a User guide here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview
    The consumer preview download here is only if you already have Windows but you can get ISO below. 
    Write down the product key which is needed at install time and select language, 32 or 64 Bit.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
    In Mac, you need to run Boot Camp to create Windows space before install from ISO at boot.

• Boot Camp Assistant "Windows 7 Installer disc could not be found"

I'm attempting to Boot Camp a partition on my MacBook Pro Retina (13", early 2013) and it's not working. I purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD and i'm accessing it through the optical drive on my desktop iMac. So far so good; MBP shows the disc on its desktop through remote disc sharing. The USB drive with downloaded Windows drivers is in place.
    However, Boot Camp Assistant won't recognize the Windows 7 DVD, even though it's right on the desktop (remotely). There is a dialog box and it says "Installer disc could not be found .. wait a few seconds"
    And that's it. Nothing further happens.
    Help! I hate Windows! Why am I doing this??

Lightwave wrote:
    Thank you! I bought Windows 7 on a physical DVD (it's the Home Premium 64bit disc). Hope that was the right thing to do?
    Yes.
    So let me get this straight. I can either use this DVD directly on a superdrive plugged in to MBP, or else burn a copy to the USB stick.
    MBP will not install from an external SuperDrive due to Windows installer limitations, because it has no driver for the SuperDrive.
    How exactly do I do the latter since my own DVD reader right now is by remote disc on my iMac?
    Create an ISO using the following procedure on the iMac and then copy it over the network to the MBP or create an ISO by attaching the SuperDrive to the MBP. Use Bootcamp Assistant to point to this ISO when creating the USB for installation.
    From Disk Utility 12.x: Duplicate a disk, CD, or DVD
    Step 7 will give you an ISO, that you can then copy to the MBP.
    Duplicate a CD-RW or DVD-RW
    Disk Utility can’t create usable copies of discs with an incompatible format or discs that are copy-protected. (These include most commercial movie DVDs and audio CDs and some software and data discs.) To copy music from an audio CD to another CD, use iTunes, not Disk Utility.
    To burn a disc, you need an optical drive in your computer or connected directly to your computer. You can’t burn a disc using a remote optical drive.
    Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
    Insert the CD or DVD disc in the optical drive, and select it in the list at the left.
    Choose File > New > “Disk Image from [disc name].”
    Type a name for the disk image.
    Choose an option from the Image Format pop-up menu.
    Choose “compressed” to create a smaller disk image.
    Choose “read-only” to create a disk image that’s quicker to create and open.
    Click Save.
    After Disk Utility creates the disk image, eject the original CD or DVD.
    Select the disk image in the list at the left, and choose Images > Burn.
    When the Burn Disc dialog appears, insert a blank CD or DVD, and then click Burn.
    You can continue using the disk image to create as many duplicate discs as you need.

• Boot Camp Assistant refuses to recognize my Windows 7 Installation Disc nor my USB

I have an iMac 20inch, early 2008 model. Back when I was running Leopard I installed Windows 7 with Boot Camp from a Windows 7 Installation ISO my friend had and I burnt it to a DVD and installed it without any problems. Later, after I got tried of windows, mostly because Windows really blows unless you want to game (which is what I was using it for), and I had contracted a virus, so I deleted Windows along with my partition after backing up any data that I though I might be able to use later. Now I am fully upgraded to Lion 10.7.2 and I downloaded the Windows installation drivers and whatever else Boot Camp persuades you to download and now at the step where I choose how much of my hard drive I want to partition, after I click partition, Boot Camp refuses to recognize that my installation disc is there no matter what format I put it in. I have followed every instruction given to me and nothing has worked. I'm thinking about trying to just partition my hard drive in Disc Utilities and formatting the new partition and then copying the ISO to the partition and seeing if it'll boot up.
    Anybody have any better ideas, or solutions?

Well I have tried downloaded a Windows 7 ISO, and tried mounting it on a USB flash drive and booting it from the USB, but that didn't work either (I heard that my version of OS X doesn't support that anymore because I already have an optical drive.)
    BTW - what do you mean exactly by running disk utility on the DVD drive?

• Windows 8 Installation Disc Won't Load UEFI-only (T420s). Also does T420S support Secure Boot?

Question 1:
    I am unable to load the Windows 8 Installation DVD in UEFI (only) mode on my T420s. As a result, I can only run the installer in Legacy mode (or both UEFI/Legacy which effectively means the same thing). This in turn means Windows 8 is installed in Legacy BIOS mode.  Any idea how to install it in UEFI mode?
    I am using a DVD burned using the Windows utility from the Windows 8 64-bit ISO and have followed the instructions in HT073269, however I am unable to get to step 1 of the Windows 8 install after updating the BIOS, resetting to defaults, and switching to UEFI-only. On boot, after switching to UEFI-only, I am presented with a bootloader and prompted to select which drive to boot (DVDRAM or SSD). Selecting either makes the screen go blank for a moment and then returns back to the same screen with no result.
    Since then I have searched these forums extensively and Googled Technet, Notebook Review, and other sites to no avail. I've tried several several ideas, including using diskpart > clean to get the SSD in raw status (per HT051844). That did not make a difference. I also tried converting a Legacy-BIOS install of Windows 8 to UEFI using CharlyAR's instructions on TechNet (linked from another thread here). That seemed to get me to a Windows Boot Loader but still errored out and Windows Repair was unable to fix it.
    Any suggestions?
    Also, question 2:  Does anyone know if the T420S support secure boot? If not, any idea if it's slated for a future firmware update?

nuncio wrote:
    pleon wrote:
    I use Win8 on my T420s in UEFI mode. [...] I do not understand, what do you mean that secure boot does not work? In BIOS there is no special switch for that, but "UEFI only" works without any problems.
    Secure Boot is a certificate-based approach to preventing rootkits, not the same thing as UEFI. Although Secure Boot requires UEFI, having UEFI does not mean having the additional Secure Boot feature. If Secure Boot is available, typically there will be an option to enable it in the firmware configuration. Since the latest firmware for the T420S (ver. 1.35) does not have such an option, I suspect ThorsHammer is correct that Secure Boot is not (yet) supported on the T420S. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Lenovo will tell us that a firmware update is on its way though.
    My understanding is that it will never support secure boot.  The secure boot support starts at Ivy Bridge and the T430s.

• How do I install apps off of the OS installation disc?

My mother recently got her MacBook fixed at the Apple Store. Her HD crashed and they put a new one in it with a fresh copy of Tiger.
    But for some reason, PhotoBooth is missing from her Applications folder now (it was previously there as she loved taking pictures using the built in iSight... as all mothers do)
    I assume I should be able to install it from the OS installations discs that came with her MacBook. Is it a simple process to just install the one application or do I have to do a complete restore?

How to Use Pacifist to Replace Deleted or Missing OS X Components
    Insert the OS X Installer DVD into the optical drive. Use a simple utility like TinkerTool to toggle invisibility so you can see invisible items. Alternatively, open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and at the prompt enter the following:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles Yes
    Press RETURN.
    To turn off the display of invisible files repeat the above command substituting No for Yes.
    The install packages are located in the /System/Installation/ folder on the DVD.
    Download the shareware utility Pacifist from VersionTracker or MacUpdate. Use it to extract a fresh copy of the missing item(s) from the file archives on your OS X installation DVD. The file archives are in the /System/Installations/ folder (use Go to Folder option in the Go menu of the Finder.)
    Here are Four Basic ways to use Pacifist (courtesy of George Orville.)
    A. Drag a .pkg icon onto the Pacifist window .....proceed to step 7.
    B. Click on “Open Package ....” and navigate to package desired and click “Open” in the open/save window.....proceed to step 7.
    C. Insert Mac OS X installer CD and when it mounts, navigate to .... Menu->Go->Go to Folder.
    In the path field enter or paste ....
    /Volumes/disc name/System/Installation/Packages (where disc name is the name of the CD/DVD that you inserted.
    • Click on the "Go" button .....
    • Drag a .pkg to Pacifist..... proceed to step 7.
    The package you'll need will have to be discovered by trial and error, but for most applications you should start with the Essentials.pkg and/or Additional Essentials.pkg.
    D. Insert your Mac OS X install disk 1 .... and open Pacifist.
    1. In Pacifist, select "Open Mac OS X Install Packages" ... dialog may appear asking for disk 2, then disk 3 and finally disk 1 again.... {if DVD is not used)...If “Stop Loading” is selected...the procedure will stop!!!
    2a. When loading is complete, a new window appears, click the triangle to display contents of each package...Select item and proceed to step 7.
    2b. or click the “Find” icon in the Pacifist window and type the name of the software you need.
    3. In the list that comes back, click the top most entry for the item that you want. ..... that is the one for the English language.
    4. On the top of the Pacifist window, click “verify” .... you will probably be prompted for your password.
    5. Enter checks for.... “verify permissions” and “verify file contents.” and click “verify” ....enter password when prompted.... you will get back output which may look like this:
    20 files were scanned.
    20 of 20 files were present on the hard disk.
    0 of 20 files had file permissions that did not match those specified in the package.
    0 of 20 files had checksums that did not match those specified in the package.
    6. Click “close”. Go to step 7.
    Extract or Install........
    7. In the Toolbar (upper left), you now have the option to extract or install. Click a file in the lower list and those two icons will be enabled.
    8. If “Extract to...” is selected.... navigate to the location where the file will be placed, select “choose”, select “extract” in new dialog that appears,authenicate , if prompted, click “OK”.
    9. In the next dialog, click “Extract”.
    10. If “Install” is selected... dialog will appear with the location/path of the installed software. Click “Install”
    11. Type in your password, click “OK”
    • Pacifist will begin to extract files.
    12. In steps 8/10ß.... you also have the choice to “cancel”
    Notes.....
    • Pacifist may find that a file it is installing already exists on the hard disk. Pacifist will present you with an alert panel....
    Stop
    Leave original alone
    Update ..... Default selection
    Replace .... Replace option should only be used on full install packages

• Boot camp does not find Windows XP installer disc

Hi,
    I am trying to install Windows XP on macbook pro. I have partitioned the hard drive and when I push "Start installation" boot camp says "The installer disc could not be found", though I see the icon on the desktop and can browse teh disc. I am logged in as an administrator and have an original Windows XP SP2 and earlier it worked fine on my laptop (I am reinstalling Windows)..
    I tried several things suggested in forums (for example here
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1402467) and none helped..
    1) I restarted while holding Option key or C key - did not help
    2) I created an image of Windows XP installer and burnt a new disk - did not help
    3) I repartitioned the hard drive several times, I restarted several times - did not help
    I am so frustrated with this bug in boot camp.. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

you still have not clarified if you used BCDedit or repair the MBR
    Whether you used an NTFS driver - that may be all you need - try the full functional demo Paragon NTFS for OS X, it is great at mounting PC NTFS volumes and cases.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
    There is no such thing as "boot camp" to detect Windows. Poor language. BCA partitions. Do you want to remove XP partition? that is the tool.
    Boot Camp control panel in Windows that has a Startup Disk style feature.
    But "boot camp" means zilch other than installing a set of drivers and the creatiion of a partition.
    Of course Lion Recvovery only works with OS X, not XP. There is a hidden feature to show all partitions and their health but nothing more.
    Backup everything and rebuild and restore.

• Trying to install windows 7, installation disc won't eject when it needs to. Help please?!?!?!

When setting up bootcamp I install windows 7, it then asks me to eject the installation disc to continue the installation but at this point the disc will NOT eject. Help please?!?!?!
    If I cancel the installation it'll eject the disc but it is at this point that I need to in order to continue and it just won't eject. I've tried the eject button, cmd E, starting again but I don't seem to be getting anywhere :s

Sorry I'm a little late, my e-mail notifications died, I was wondering why it was so quiet. Here I thought I was getting better at this.
    Have you tried the USB thumb drive W7 installer way? I know 10.7 has an option now for installing a W7 installer iso onto a USB thumb drive but I don't know if 10.6 does. Search Google/yahoo for more information. Basically just make an iso of the W7 installer and copy it to the USB drive and it will boot via USB.
    At least I think yours can? Not sure which models work.
    Have you tried one of those CD disk cleaners? I bought one years ago and worked like a charm. (if it's dirty) It has a row of real fine bristles.
    Other then that you may have a dying drive?
    As far as games, make sure they are updated to run W7, other then that, that's Windows for ya.....

• HT1461 can i use boot camp if i no longer have my windows xp installation disc?

i have my old PC with XP Pro installed but it's been years since i purchased the computer and no longer have the installation disc.  Can i still run boot camp without the disc?

Brad Spalding wrote:
    i have my old PC with XP Pro installed but it's been years since i purchased the computer and no longer have the installation disc.  Can i still run boot camp without the disc?
    You mean, Can I still run boot camp without Windows? because that is what you will have, one empty boot camp partition. Buy a copy of Windows 7.

• Bootcamp does not recognize windows 7 installer disc

I am trying to install windows 7 on my mac using Boot Camp.   I have a bootable version of windows 7 that is NOT a branded version on a usb flash drive.  No matter what I do when I hit install, I get the following error:
    The installer disc could not be found.
    Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized.
    Why isn't it recognizing this?  
    Thanks in advance,

Actually, it is the Option key that you need to press to get the boot startup manager.
    Is the partition mounting in the Finder as a disk? When you do GetInfo on the disk, what does it say in the General section at the top? My Vista partition mounts, and the GetInfo General section has the format listed "Windows NT File System (NTFS)"--I can double click to open it and see all the files, and copy them to the Mac partition.
    Also, you might want to post further in the Boot Camp Installation forum:
    http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1244
    You're more likely to get a response from those who know alot about boot camp problems.
    Francine
    Francine
    Schwieder

• Problem installing windows - 'The installer disc could not be found'

Hello everyone,
    I'd successfully partitioned my hard drive and am now trying to install windows. When I click on 'start installation' in boot camp assistant, there is a delay of 20 seconds and then a message, saying that 'the installer disc could not be found'. This is despite the windows CD showing up in the finder.
    I've tried re-booting, re-starting boot camp and removing the CD, to no avail. For what it's worth I've also tried a friends windows CD just in case it is my one causing the problem.
    Any tips?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rob

I had the same issue with the installer disc not being found by boot camp, I tried multiple times with no luck, tried several windows vista home basic discs and made sure they were bootable, still no luck, finally I got the trial version of parallels, installed windows that way and it worked, the interesting thing is that afterwards, I left the CD I was using in the dvd drive, shut down the computer, next time I started the laptop, it wanted to boot up with the windows installation dvd I left in the drive, I cancelled, started mac os then ran boot camp and it worked fine.
    Sounds to me like software issues from apple... I hope you find the solution, all this was very frustrating...

• BootCamp Assistant won't detect my Windows 7 Installation Disc

I am installing Windows 7 on my 13' Macbook Pro early 2011 model - I am on OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion).
    I'm using BootCamp Assistant to try into install Windows 7 (I have the authentic installation disc), but BootCamp assistant failed to detect my disc. I am installing it on my 13' Macbook Pro early 2011 model - I am on OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion). I used BootCamp Assistant to try into install Windows 7 (I have the authentic installation disc), but BootCamp assistant failed to detect my disc and the error "The installer disc could not be found." I could hear the installation disc in my optical drive spinning and stopping.
    I have searched throught the forums and tried many things but none of them worked. I have been looking for the solution all day!
    Please help!
    Note: I have installed the proper drivers for the version of Windows I am installing.

Well I have tried downloaded a Windows 7 ISO, and tried mounting it on a USB flash drive and booting it from the USB, but that didn't work either (I heard that my version of OS X doesn't support that anymore because I already have an optical drive.)
    BTW - what do you mean exactly by running disk utility on the DVD drive?

• Help me learn how to back up and set up a recovery on new MacBook please?

Please bear with me if I come across not knowing anything about this topic....but that's why i'm asking for help.
    mentioned before that my brother set up my PC laptop for me years ago. And a friend set up my Western Digital External Hard Drive (My Book Essential Edition - i got it super cheap after rebates) and I know he downloaded Syncback from 2Brightsparks since the WD didn't come with software.
    My new Macbook is charging up. I want to know if I should do a backup and recovery? Basically I want to prepare for in case I totally eff up my new Mac and have restore from scratch. I am so confused when I read forums and google stuff. I know it came with the Mac OS X, but what happens to some of the preinstalled software....will it come back up if I use the Mac OS cds? Also, I've read that some say I can backup on CD/DVD but they won't be bootable but if I use external HD it's bootable - what the heck does this all mean?
    Will I have to download a software to use with the WD HD or will the preinstalled Time Machine work? (Step by Step directions on how to make a bootable restore and back up would be greatly appreciated)
    and when I add other software, can I back up the computer so that if I ever have to do a system restore I can still get those software back on my Mac without having to go get the software disc or pay online again for the download?
    thanks a bunch!

Hey Knotty,
    If you are close to an Apple Store, you would do yourself a world of good if you purchased One-to-One Membership. The Creatives at the Apple Store can teach you how to do all of this and so much more, for a full year.
    Time Machine is an automatic backup system that is pre-installed on your Mac. It is very easy to use. Since you already have the WD, you could use that for this purpose. There is no other software you would have to purchase. If there are files and such on your WD, I would first back those up to some other media, DVD or CD, then let Time Machine reformat it and use it. It will not use the same format as your old PC, which is why you will need to backup those files you need off of it.
    Good Luck.
    Adam

Maybe you are looking for

• How to add css styling to Edge Animate elements?

I have done a complete search on this, and have tried based on the example here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/979124?promoid=KBHBD But I can't seem to get it to work... I am trying to justify text created in Edge (in which I named the div "bio" in

• Can not open Premier

I am a new user.  Just purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.  I used Premier elements 10 for the first tim.  Was doing great, editing my daughter video and know the program will not open.  Any sugguestions.  I tried to uninstall the program and am g

• Downloaded iTunes 6.0 - Grey circle w/ exclamation point--HELP!

I'm furious... I downloaded iTunes 6.0 and now I can't play my music.My music is there, I can see it, it's backed up - but since I downloaded 6.0, I can't play or purchase music. I have a grey circle with an exclamation point next to every song....an

• Ff67 not generating batch input session

Hi Experts, I am trying to do the Bank Reconciliation by T.Code FF67. The statement is getting saved but I could not see the Batch Insput Session (T.Code SM35) to post the entries. I am using the specificatin type 2 and iam  also checked with SU53 fo

• IMovie 9 - imported movie shows black in preview pane

Hey everyone, first time posting here. Here's my issue. I have been working on a project for over a week now and have imported over 30 big files without any problems. Once I imported a file, I would select the footage I needed and add the selections