How to add a second hard drive in a T42

I have a T42 with a DVD/CD R/W. My current hard drive is only 40GB and it is running Windows XP Service Pack 3. I would like to install a second hard drive for extra storage capacity. What do you recommend for an extra hard drive and can it be installed in place of the removable DVD/CD drive? Since the currently installed DVD drive is using the UltraBay, I would think that just removing it and installing the additional hard drive in the UltraBay should be possible. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Welcome to the forum!
You'll be looking for Ultraslim Bay PATA hard disk drive adapter.
Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-2nd-Hard-Drive-Adapter-T60-T61-T42-41-Ultrabay-Slim_W0QQitemZ400016951957QQc...|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1308
In the interest of full disclosure, I am NOT affiliated with the seller in any way.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• What kind and how to add a second hard drive to my dv7-6157cl?

I want to add a second hard drive, which can be done on this laptop.  What type of hdd would I purchase?
    Can I add a solid state drive?
    Are there instructions on how to do this on this particular model?
    Thank you

I would not use a SSD for a second drive, there is really no benefit to this, an SSD would be much better for the primary hard drive where the OS runs from.
    Any standard laptop Sata hard drive will work
    You would need a hard drive hardware kit, includes bracket, shield, screws, and data cable.
    I would contact HP parts to be sure you get the correct part(s) for your specific model
    Here is your service manual which has instructions on how to replace hard drives in that model

• How to add a second hard drive

I want to add a second hard drive, mainly because my server hosts a photo gallery and I would like to store those photos on a separate drive.  What is entailed in adding this second drive?
    -Thanks

Firstly, find if you want SATA or IDE.  Then make sure you have a free hole on the mobo for the drive, and spare in the case for it.  Then make sure your PSU can power it.  Then decide how much space you want and how much you want to pay.  Then buy, screw it in, and connect the ribbon cable and power cable.  Then boot, and it should come up in /dev.  Then partition, and make a filesystem, then mount.  Easy

• How to add a second Hard Drive to a laptop equipped with 2 HDD bays.

I have noticed a couple of posts on the forums that have asked how to install a second HDD into their laptop.
    Here is a link to a detailed video on how to install the 2nd HDD.
    This video will show how to install the hard drive, what parts that you will need and what models are directly related to the video.
    Enjoy!
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hope this helps!

• Can I add a second hard drive on Qosmio X500-12Q?

Hi,
    i'd like to know if its possible to add a second hard drive to the X500-12Q ?
    i suppose the space is available but i'd like to know if the connector is here & everything
    so i could just open the enclosure and plug it in.
    thanks

Hi jeandujardin,
    I dont have Qosmio X500 but generally speaking its no problem to exchange the internal HDD with a SSD but I dont know if the model has 2 SATA connectors.
    If you are not sure ask the salesman if its possible to install a second HDD or SSD.
    SSDs are no problem because they have the same SATA interface as normal HDDs.

• Can i add a second hard drive to my macbook pro

can i add a second hard drive to my macbook pro

stevefromapo wrote:
    I purchased a OWC DataDoubler kit with a 750GB hd and it works fine.  I just need to get a USB CD Drive for mac so if i need to reinstall my OS I can do it.
    You could put your install disc on a USB Flash drive with Disk Utility. Also, here is the USB optical drive enclosure I bought. He raised the price a few bucks. Mine ran $10.00 with the shipping. 
    17" 2.2GHz i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro  8G RAM  750G HD + OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Boot HD 

• Can I add a second hard drive and if so what cable etc would I need to do so?

Can I add a second hard drive and if so what cable etc would I need to do so?
    View Solution.

Hi,
    For many 17" (or 17.3") machines such as Envy 17, dv,  Pavilion 17 .... you can add a second HDD (my old loan dv7 has two HDD's and my current loan Envy 17 also has 2 HDD's). You would need the following kit:
        http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=379
    Regards.
    BH
    **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• Need to add a second hard drive. Which model?

Hello,
    I would like to add a second hard drive to my G3. My current 12 Gig ATA/133 hard drive is not sufficient anymore for my projects. I would like to choose a SATA hard drive and I need some help with the selection of a model. I am choosing SATA because I may eventually move it to a G5 computer later.
    Could someone please suggest a hard drive model? I am looking for a fast drive and preferably one that is quiet too. I will be adding a SATA controller card (FirmTek SeriTek/1S2) available from www.firmtek.com/seritek in order to add this second drive.
    My main programs I use are the Adobe Creative Suite Programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign as well as Macromedia Dreamweaver. The average file size on my computer varies - I have many small files on my computer as well as some very large photoshop files. The OS, applications and data will all reside on this new drive and I will no longer use the 12 Gig drive at all.
    I have read about some new hard drive features such as NCQ
    Is NCQ a feature I should look for?
    Most hard drives have a cache/buffer that is 8 MB or 16MB. Is 16 MB a good feature to look for or could 8MB be considered large enough for a buffer?
    I will choose an RPM that is at least 7200. I think most hard drives today are 7200 anyways.
    I am looking for a capacity of 160 GIGs or maybe 250 - depending on the cost.
    Here are the ones I have considered already listed in order of my current preference:
    Maxtor MaXLine III
    DiamondMax 10
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
    Hitachi 7K250
    Deskstar T7K250
    Does anyone have any recommendations for me either in this list or perhaps another model?
    Thank you,
    Mike
    (I considered Maxtor DiamondMax 11 but it might me more than I need. It is the new line of Maxtors and I would rather pay less for a drive that is sufficient.)

Hi Hatter:
    OK here's my plan. I am sort of a chicken and like to do things in small and easy steps.
    I have freed up 5 Gigs on the internal hard drive by moving some data off to an external drive, but leaving all my applications where they are.
    That gets me out of trouble for now. Next I am buying the WD Caviar $70 640GB drive that you suggested and will put it in bay two.
    When it's up and running I will clone the old drive over to my new drive, so that I can start the Mac from my new humungeous drive.
    At this point I will install the dinky old drive in an FW case for safe keeping, I guess and buy another 650 gig drive for the now vacant bay.
    Maybe some time down the line, I'll install the new bays, but I have a feeling that by that time APple will be offering a new Mac Gwhiz that I will be unable to refuse.
    Does this all sound feasible?
    Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted.
    Dan

• Add a second hard drive to split x2

I have a HP Split X2 - model 13-g210dx My labtop and hard drive both work fine. I read some people added a second SSD hard drive to the keyboard base of some models of split x2, but needed to change a board (I believe the HDMI board). I havent seen anyone do this with my exact model but with similar models.
    Is it possible to add a second hard drive to my particular model, and where can I order the board. Also any info on what size/type hard drive would work would be helpful. Thank you very much.

Also I do not want to add an external hard drive, and I contacted HP support and they transfered me about 6 times with no help.
    HP Split x2
    Model # 13-g210dx
    Part # E8C36UA#ABA
    Even if sone one has the right person I could talk to that would be great. I spoke with several at the parts department and technical support, and nobody was sure and just kept transferring me.

• Can you add a second hard drive

Just wondering. what is the exact mobo used in the imac 20inch
    is there an extra sata port. would like to add an extension to the ports on the back and be able to add a second hard drive at the speeds that sata allows

No, you can't add another hard drive. There isn't an extra SATA port because the Apple Engineers had to squeeze everything in as close as possible to make the iMac this small and thin. The only user-serviceable/upgradeable part of the iMac is the Memory. For other changes, an Apple Authorized Service Provider has to open up your computer. Another alternative could be a USB 2.0 or FireWire External Hard drive, which would work at up to 500 Mbits/sec.

• How to add a 2nd hard drive to HP Pavilion DV7!

How to add a 2nd hard drive to HP Pavilion DV7-3165DX, product # WA794UA or WA794UAR.
    (1) Order HDD, hard drive, hardware kit. HDD hardware kit includes mounting rails, static shield, screws, rubber isolators, and SATA to motherboard cable. Check your model & Product # for compatibility.
         HP Parts HDD hardware kit 517639-001 for DV7-3165DX product# WA794UA and WA794UAR.
    (2) Consult Drives - Windows 7 PDF, table of contents, 7 Replacing a drive in the secondary hard drive bay. This will show you how to install a 2nd HDD in a HP DV7.
          Drives - Windows 7 PDF
    (3) In Windows 7 select Computer, Select the HDD installed, Format (if not already formatted).
    (4) If HDD does not show up in Windows 7 under Computer, go to Start (Menu), Search Programs and Files, enter "Computer Management", select Storage, Disk Management (Local), look for the Bay 2 HDD (should show up as Disc 1, Bay 1 HDD should show as Disc 0), Format the 2nd HDD (The one you just installed).
    Update: I have the 2nd HDD (WD 1TB) installed, Windows now recognises it after completing the steps I mentioned in step 4, Format with default allocation NTFS 931.51GB free, 118MB used for formatting. Format with default allocation exFAT 931.51GB free, 1MB used for formatting. I selected NTFS format to reduce file fragmenting.
    View Solution.

When i added my 2nd HDD I was ready to get it ordered and shipped, so it would arrive before I arrived home. I also was not sure if it would be offered anywhere else and be 100% compatible. The quality of the factory HP part is good. Since then I found a cheeper source. Newmodeus DV7-3xxx Hard Drive Caddy $27.95 +tax +shipping. Not sure if the quality is the same. If this helps you, post your results and kudos.

• How do I add a second hard drive to my dv7-3060us​?

I'm very short of space on my HP originally installed 500GB hard drive and need more storage space. I have a new Seagate 750GB drive, 7200 rpm, and would like to install it. When I opened the case to access the second hard drive compartment, I was stymied when I found no connectors pre-installed. What do I need to do to install this drive?
    Thanks!
    View Solution.

Hi,
    Lost power for 40mins. Please try this:
       http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=60​5415-001
    the links before shows BOTH caddy and cable for dv7 machines.  This articel may help:
        http://thessd.com/2012/02/how-to-add-a-2nd-hdd-or-​ssd-to-an-hp-pavilion-dv7-laptop/
    Regards.
    BH
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• How to use my second hard drive on my desktop pro

I have a 12 core desktop pro with 2 HD's installed. How can I use my second hard drive independently? To use it as a second computer unto itself without all the
    extra add on's I have on drive one.

how long ago did you ask this question?

• How to tell if second hard drive is going bad

Back in November added second hard drive to my G4 and installed Leopard on it. In last month incredible amount of app crashes, hangs, "force quit," etc. and the occasional kernel panic.
    Did an erase and install and now seems like more of the same.
    When I run old 10.3 on the original hard drive, life is just fine. To that end, I'm beginning to suspect the hardware. However, when I put the original Apple Hardware Test CD in and tried to use it (never done that before), it said it wouldn't run on this machine.
    Is there a Plan B? Is there something wrong with the CD?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    j

SMART - look at the bottom of the screen in DU when you click on the drive.
    Lepard may be uncovering faulty or marginal memory. Each OS upgrade has put memory to use more so than previously.
    Memtest is your best bet there. Or Rember which people like for GUI.
    I tended in the past to wipe a drive with zeroes.
    If you aren't using Disk Warrior (or TTPro) then you really don't know if your drive has directory or file errors, sadly, 3rd party is pretty much a given and must.
    Intech Speedtools is another. Can do a thorough SMART test (45 minutes), test media, scan and reassign bad blocks, and stress a drive.
    Disk Warrior manual hardware test will tell you one thing that helps: whether a drive has used spare blocks and how many left, meaning it might be time to zero a drive. Drives tend to fail early if they will, sometimes off the assembly line. Or down the road.
    It would be nice if we could run Memtest from Apple Hardware Test. AHT does spot real obvious problems with memory, but sometimes iTunes seems to do a better job.

• Add a Second Hard Drive to a Pavilion 500-314 Desktop

I have just purchased a Pavilion 500-314 desktop and desire to add a second SATA hard drive from the computer it is replacing.  When I open the case I find four SATA connections but nowhere to physically mount the second hard drive.  The drive bay is large and basically empty with the included hard drive mounted to the drive bay cage.  There are no slots for additional drives.  When I called HP I was told this chassis supports only one drive even though it has four SATA connectors on the motherboard.  Is there an adapter that can be purchased to create additional slots or am I out of luck with additional internal drives?

Hi,
    Few weeks back, one user decided to go to a hardware store to buy brackets himself and problem solved. You may want to follow his method.
    Regards.
    BH

Maybe you are looking for

• Repersentation of #error in HFR while exporting the report in Excel

Hi All, We are working on Hyperion Financial Report 9.3.1 with Essbase as a data source. We are replacing the #error with 'NA', which is working fine when we are viewing the FR reports in workspace. But when we export this report in Excel, word "NA"

• How to add one default value in table type value set?

Hi All I have the below requirement: Need to display all the organization ids in the parameter for one concurrent program along with one default value of 'ALL'. I have created a table value set which picks up the organization name from hr_all_organiz

• How to define object type in plsql

I create a type... CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE t_Archive_Data_Obj AS OBJECT (Archive_Name VARCHAR2(40), Archive_Data CLOB); I create a type in plsql..... TYPE tt_Archive_Data IS TABLE OF t_Archive_Data_Obj; Can I, instead of creating the object type as a

• Recovering anything from a dead ipod?

I recently ran over my ipod (don't ask)...the screen is cracked internally, but there doesn't seem to be any other physical damage that I can see. I can hear the hard drive buzzing when I plug it into the USB port on my PC, but I'm not getting any re

• Javascript: select all text, break link to style

Hi I'd like to select all text in a Document (in different independent textboxes) and then break the link to it's style (in the program in the Flyout-menu of the paragraph styles) Is this function scriptable (javascript)? How do I select all the text