How to enter a BIOS/UEFI password in T420?

Hello, I don't need to remove the UEFI supervisor password, I know what it is. The problem is that I can't get it to prompt me for that password! Pressing Thinkvantage button + F1 just prompts for the power-on password, and I'm never asked to enter the supervisor password so that I can enable the VT & VT-d settings. This is really critical, I can't run VirtualBox without it.
Can anyone explain how to enter it? Am I getting to the BIOS settings the wrong way?
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Power off, start it up, enter Supervisor password at Power On password prompt.
Hope this helps!
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Similar Messages

• Tecra 8000 doesn't boot from CD - how to enter the BIOS?

Hello,
    i have a 2nd hand tecra 8000.
    Now it dont boot from CD? i dont know why... but he question is how to enter on BIOS setup, because is not possible with F2 key.
    How to enter on BIOS?
    Thanks too much
    Francisco
    ([email protected])

Hi
    Please check this Toshiba FAQ document:
    How to access to the BIOS Setup - instructions for most models
    http://support.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ6401G1000DR01.htm

• How to enter the BIOS settings on my Satellite L50-A-k4W?

Help me pls!! How to enter the BIOS settings? I do not know, and Google does not help me =((

At first you have to perform an complete shutdown.
    Here an HowTo:
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03EY0002R01.htm
    The point is that Win 8 does not shut down the notebook but the unit performs hybrid shutdown to boot faster. So unit needs to be shut down in order to access the BIOS.
    Start notebook again and press F12 to enter boot menu. Thee you can find option for BIOS settings. You can also try with F2 at start up.

• How to enter the new UEFI( BIOS ), if UEFI does not respond to F10(esc, e.t.c.) at startup?

1) I bought a HP 255 .. preloaded with licensed windows 8.1 (overpaying about $ 150 compared with the same nout. with pre-dos ,
    2)yesterday update the "BIOS" -UEFI- from HP website and on the recommendation and with the help of an assistant "Assistant HP",
    3)reload (successfully re-entered the windows 8.1), and
    4) wanted to put second OS (ubuntu Linux without removing the windows 8.1, which is totally legal action and a 100% user right !) in accordance with the instructions http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/install-ubuntu-1404-alongside-windows.html. (way before such procedures have been much easier! Have to completely abandon the windows!)
    5)After compression partition with win8.1 and release empty partition for second OS( Linux), off in the control panel windows "Fast Boot" I turned off the laptop (which is turned off and not in sleep mode switched). entered the UEFI, Turn off secure boot and Legacy Boot (probably in vain!)
    After saving and rebooting the laptop completely refused to accept from the moment of "power On" the F10 (et al. Keys esc, F2..12), and showed only "black screen" without any symbols and inscriptions, though, and respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del (blinking backlight -reload). external monitor also showed "No Signal".
    If I understand correctly, UEFI has been "upgraded" (not for the better by m.), And then at boot became a special check windows loader (type bootx64.efi) th right?
    1) where (is there?) correct installation instruction 2nd OS (for example Linux Ubuntu), without removing the pre windows 8.1 (with the new UEFI)?
    2) what can be done? How can I enter the UEFI-"BIOS"   to fix options (if i have not CD with windows8.1 liveCD, but have backup of pre-inst win8.1 from nout)?

You can do that without going in the BIOS(UEFI).  At the Start screen, type System Settings and hit Enter.  There is a Boot Options tab there where you can make your boot choice. However, for when you do need to get in the BIOS in Windows 8.x, Shutdown the computer while holding down the Shift key.  Then, on Startup, hold down or rapidly tap F2 while hitting the Power  button.
    Yes, you do have a Recovery partition on your HDD and you were advised to make recovery media when first using your machine for even further protection in the future. It's up to you whether you wish to make even further images.  I do and I use Macrium also.
    You need to spend some time with your User's Guide particularly starting on page 46 "Recovery of The Internal Storage Drive".
    C.B.
    Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit--Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 HP SP1 64 Bit and Win 10 PRO Technical Preview--Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit

• Dynabook: How to enter the BIOS settings?

I have a Dynabook V2/470 CRC. How can I enter the BIOS
    settings on this laptop?

Hello
    This unit is not known to me but I assume that you can enter BIOS setting pressing F2 button or maybe ESC in combination with F1.
    Bye

• Sat 4070cdt: How to enter the BIOS?

Hi i have a satellite 4070cdt, am I able to enter the bios, if so how please

Hello Steve
    As far I know it should be possible to enter the BIOS by pressing the ESC and then F1 button.
    Bye

• How to enter to BIOS for the Qosmio F20-137

F1-F12 which key enter to bios, if i want doing something at bios setting.

Qosmio has Toshiba BIOS and every unit with Toshiba BIOS can be enter using ESC > F1 key.
    Some Toshiba units have Phoenix BIOS and it can be enter using F2 button at the startup.

• How do i config bios/uefi to get me to install windows 7 or 8

ok, heres the system i'm trying to install windows x64 on
    X79A-GD45 Plus (bios ver. 17.9)
    8x8gig corsair vengence 1866(base freq is 1333)
    evga 680 gtx 4gig(custom edition)
    i tried 2 different hdds(3tb and 1.5tb sata 3.0 seagates) and 1 ssd(samsung 850 pro 128gig) from usb stick(used both pny 32gig usb3.0 and team 32gig usb3.0) install under legacy+uefi and under uefi using sata port 1(ports 1-2 are sata 3.0, rest are sata 2.0). to get the usb stick be bootable i used rufus and had to plug it into a usb2.0 port(for some odd reason it couldn't even boot from usb3.0 ports even tho they're enabled in the bios). i don't have optical drive even hooked in first since i don't have a burner drive at my house on standby to burn iso to it(waiting on bro to burn me a copy first so i can try installing it via optical drive).
    i followed the directions correctly  for rufus bootable usb, and followed directions from a few forums(not here, yet) for proper install...tried windows 7 sp1 and windows 8.1..it either had some weird data missing error or gave me a msg saying drive to install windows to not detected by installer(which is weird cause i saw it in the system status page in the bios screen). i spent the last 2-3 days trying to figure this out.
    i only got this motherboard cause my asus sabertooth died(their tech support is a joke and returned to me a motherboard with bent cpu socket pins) and evga didn't have a decent version that didn't have a chipset that crashes. the msi one i picked didn't have any marvel chipsets to worry about(caused most of the x79 systems to crash and fail)
    wondering if i have to use sata 2.0 ports to install the os on first..then move them later to get sata 3.0 speed benefit
    any advice and pictures on how to rig up the bios would help.
    btw, motherboard is reg'd with msi and with service net(via newegg.com, i'm not taking any chances with crappy tech support anymore). also i haven't even bothered with the 20 usd rebate cause i want a system to work well at least til pcie 4.0 motherboards come out

Are you gonna install UEFI Windows or non-UEFI Windows?   
    Check this topic
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

• How to enter K210 BIOS?

I've been there, I know I have, I just can't remember how I got there in the first place.
    Can anyone tell me the key (or combination) to enter the K210 ideaCenter's BIOS?  I'm guessing the boot screen tells me somewhere, but my monitor takes a second to sync, and the first thing I see is the Winows boot screen.  Very annoying.  I need to get this PC to boot from the CD-ROM first..
    Thanks!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Ah, never mind - F1.  Got it.

• How to enter the BIOS in Satellite C50-A006

Hi!
    I wanted to enter BIOS to select boot sequence in Satellite C50-A006 running with Win8, but I was unsuccessful. I tried pressing F2, F8, F12, ESC and DEL but no luck. Also tried googling, also no luck.
    Please help.
    Thank you!

Hi
    At first you must perform complete shutdown. After doing this you can start machine and enter BIOS settings.
    How to perform complete shutdown you can read on - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03EY0002R01.htm
    Try it please.

• Toshiba P875 S7102 How To Enter The Bios Setup

I have been tring everything to get to the bios screen of the computer.  I have tried holding Esc, F1, F2, F10, F12, Delete, but that has not worked.  I have found a toshiba manual that said to hold F2 until you see the toshiba logo then release it.  Nothing has worked, it just continues to boot to windows 8.
    I have searched and searched, this forum and the web, but I have not found anything that has worked to get into the BIOS setup screen.
    What is the proper key stroke to get into the bios screen for P875 S7102 laptop?
    Thanks.

The "secret" is what you do when shutting down before attempting to access the BIOS.  Press the shift key as you click Shutdown. Then on startup, tap F2 to take you to the BIOS screen.
    This applies to Toshiba laptops that came PRE-INSTALLED with Windows 8. It does NOT apply to Windows 7 machines or those that were UPGRADED from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
    C.B.
    Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit--Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 HP SP1 64 Bit and Win 10 PRO Technical Preview--Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit

• How to enter BIOS in e450

Just got this laptop.
    Can't enter BIOS. NO F1-F12 keys.
    On start up, it just gives Lenovo splash screen then boots windows 8. I am clicking F1 (also tried FN+F1) and nothing happens.
    How to enter bios...
    Thank you
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi jimmyr, welcome to the forum.
         Please see this link, and it should answer the question for you.
    http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/how-to-enter-the-bios-setup-utility-or-boot-menu-with-windows-8-1/
    Cheers
    DragonRider
    I'm DO'ing IT
    Lenovo Y470 085525U 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
    IdeaCentre A520 Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor ( 2.60GHz 2600MHz 3MB )
    YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F
    X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad + T420

• How to enter Bios Setup Satellite 4030?

I'm searching for Informations how to enter the Bios Setup.

To enter BIOS settings use ESC button.

• How to enter bios on Qosmio E10?

I only need to know how to enter the BIOS on Qosmio E10!
    Thanks in advance
    globii

You can enter the BIOS with ESC.
    Press ESC directly after power on the notebook.
    Good luck!

• BIOS Administrator Password

I'm using HP SoftPaq software to get my updates.  I went to try to update the BIOS and I got the message of doom, "The BIOS is protected by a Setup password. You must enter the BIOS Setup password before the system BIOS can be updated." I bought my laptop on State Surplus.  BIOS password?  Any ideas on how to recover or remove it?

The previous user of this PC may have setup the BIOS password.You will have to log a ticket with HP to get a reset file.

Maybe you are looking for