How to Upgrade System HDD on a T43?

Hi everybody.  I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered already.  I've searched the forums and the KB, and haven't found quite the answer I'm looking for.
Is there a good, step-by-step guide for upgrading the system hard drive on a T43?  I've seen a lot of valuable discussion about avoiding the dreaded 2010 error, which I'll take to heart in selecting a new drive; but I haven't seen a guide that tells me, for instance, how to clone an image of my old C: drive onto the new one, so that my OS and applications will work.  I understand how to do that on a desktop machine (i.e., I don't know how, but the instructions I've found on the web make sense to me); only I don't know to what extent I can use those instructions on the T43.  I don't have the system installation disk (bought the computer used), so I'd like to avoid having to reinstall the system.  I also don't have an Ultra Bay HDD, but I do have a CD burner.
Getting back to choice of new drives, and that pesky 2010 error, most of the discussion of those topics on these boards seems to be a few years old.  Has anything changed since 2008?  Is there a current list of replacement drives that will run (with or without monkeying with the BIOS) in a T43? (The list I found here seems to date back to 2009 at the latest.)
I realize I'm dealing with an outdated computer to begin with, and I have a more modern one.  I just want this one for basic word-processing, email, and web-surfing when I'm on the road; but the slow speed and limited storage of the 40GB HDD are inconvenient, and I'd like to do what I can to supe it up a little.
Thanks for any advice!

Any drive that you buy new today will throw the "2010 error".
Samsung HM160HC would be my preferred choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152110
That being said, I've been running non-approved drives in T43/p units for years with no ill effects. YMMV.
Cheers,
George
In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
Collecting dust: T60
Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Similar Messages

• How to upgrade system from serial communication to parallel communication

Hi,
    I am working on Lab VIEW 8.5.In my project I am using ADAM cards(7) for analog/digital inputs/outputs. Communication is done via RS 232 serial cable. Right now my system is working fine, but if i want to make it more fast i will need to use parallel communication right? Because Simultaneous inputs and outputs are processed. How much my communication file will change? Which card i should use?
    How to upgrade system? On which factors it depends or it affects? I need guide lines.
    Thank you
    Gaurav k
    CLD Certified !!!!!
    Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.

Hi
    In your setup you have a ADAM 4250 RS232/485 repeater talking with 7 instruments in a network. Each instrument have a unique address, and you can only address 1 instrument at a time. If you need more speed you have to insert more ADAM 4250 units in your system and more RS232 ports on the PC. Identical ADAM instruments may receive commands over the same communication line, but transmit data on a unique communication line. You can not use the parallel port in your setup at all. This is not a Labview problem but a hardware problem. If speed is critical maybe the Ethernet I/O Modules: ADAM-6000 series are better for your setup 
    Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
    (Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)

• How to upgrade from HDD to SSD

Hi All,
    I am thinking of upgrading my HDD to a SSD, but I  dont know how exactly to transfer OS, settings, my own files etc. onto new SSD?
    Can someone please brake the whole process into simple step-by-step guide?
    Thanks in advance,
    Max

Not really - but here is a user tip on using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your old drive to your new SSD.
    All you really need to do is buy a $20 or so enclosure - I'd recommend OWC - for one of the drives and then clone your existing hard drive to your new SSD, after you format the SSD as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition.
    You can go either way - install the SSD first and then boot from your old drive in the enclosure, use Disk Utility to format the SSD and then use CCC to clone your data from the old drive to the new. Or put the SSD into the enclosure first (I like the first way better).
    Oh, and there are 100's of videos on YouTube (just make sure that you search for your specific model MBP).
    Clinton

• How to upgrade from HDD to SSD in Mid 2010 13inch MacbookPro?

I am upgrading from HDD to SSD and would like the step by step direction of how to do it on my 13inch MacBookPro mid 2010. Also, I would like to do a clean install of the OS onto the new SSD, and simply transfer my data(i.e. documents, pictures) from the old HDD to the new SSD(Samsung 500GB)
    Any detailed directions would be appreciated. You may send responses directly to my address: ******* Thanks in advance
    <Edited by Host>

Tolefe1 wrote:
    Thanks. How do I booth to IR? Won't  I need to connect to the internet to be able to booth to Internet Recovery... Please give steps as I am pretty new to this.
    Turn the Mac on (or reboot it) and press command-option-R as soon as you hear the startup chime. Hold the keys down until you see a globe, then release. When the Recovery Menu appears you choose Disk Utility and format the SSD for use in a Mac (Erase>Set Format to MacOS Extended (Journaled), then exit Disk Utility and choose Install OSX
    You will need to be connected to the Internet and your Mac should detect your network and ask for a password automatically when Recovery Starts.

• How to upgrading  system from CRM 4.0 to 7.0

How to upgrading CRM system from CRM 4.0 to 7.0 ?
    What is procedure to upgrate it ? Any document available for doing this ?
    Regards,
    Anup Reche

Hi
    You can find the upgrade documentation here:
    http://service.sap.com/instguides
    SAP Business Suite Applications >  SAP CRM > SAP CRM 7.0 >Upgrade
    hope it helps
    Rupesh

• How to upgrade Sata Hdd to SSD on Mac Book Pro 13"?

I have a Mac book Pro 13" and I want to upgrade my Harddrive to SSD. Also want to know how to do cloning, so that no data loss will be there.
    Regards
    Sid J

what you do is first put the the SSD in an external enclosure and hook it up to your mac.  Then, open disc utility in your utilities folder.  Erase the new SSD and reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  Then, run the cloning program and it will make a mirror image of the HDD currently inside your mac to the new SSD in the external enclosure.  Then, remove the SSD from the external enclosure and put in it your mac.  All done!  .  If you are unfamiliar with an external enclosure, they are very inexpensive..here is one I own: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817106115. Any further questions you my have either now or during the process, don't hesitate to ask, I have done this process a handful of times and it is very easy even for the non-techie.

• HT1766 how to upgrade system to ios 5 & above

how can i upgrade my iphone to ios 5 and above in order to use icloud application

Connect to iTunes on the computer you usually Sync with and “ Check for Updates “...
    If an Update Appears Install it... if not... you are up to date for your particular Device...
    See the Using iTunes Section Here...
    How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

• How to Upgrade RAM/HDD Lenovo C100, Lenovo All in One Nettop

Hi all,
    Im newly bought Lenovo C100 All in One PC, pls click the link below for my PC:
    I want to upgrade the it RAM fro 1GB to 2GB (add another 1GB), but I cant find the way to open the back... Me already un-srew all the srew available.... but it hard to open...im afraid that I will damage the PC body if force to open...
    Should it have a special slot to ease adding RAM?
    already googled, but still can find step by step or instruction to upgrade the RAM...
    Pls help me I bought the RAM.... thanks

nobody done it before...?

• How to upgrade system disk without reinstalling?

Here's what I want to do: Buy a nice large new HD, copy my current system disk onto the new one, and then use the new one instead. I don't want to reinstall -- just do an image copy. However, I want the new disk to be larger. What is the most foolproof way of doing this?
    Can I boot off a CD, mount the system disk read-only, use disk copy to copy the system disk over to the new disk (even though the new disk is larger)?
    I'm sure the answer to this question is on this forum somewhere, but I looked and could not find it.
    Thanks much for suggestions.
    dm

There's a couple of ways to do this. Assuming you want to add the HD to an internal slot, hook it up, following the instructions in your Setting up Manual (find it at http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_en&kword=&type=kmanual&newstype= &q=g5%20setting%20up), launch Disk Utility, select the HD, erase and format it for Mac OS Extended, selecting Options->zero out data, and quit Disk Utility. Once the HD's erased and formatted, do one of these:
    1. Launch Disk Utility, click on the restore tab, drag the current disk into the source window, the new HD into the destination window, and click Restore. This requires that the new HD is physically larger than the old HD.
    2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, etc. and make a bootable clone/backup of the current HD onto the new HD. This requires that the new HD is larger than the Used size of the old HD.

• Steps how to upgrade HP EVA 6400 Storage Upgrade/ 3*Disk Enclosure/ 28*600GB 15K FC HDD

I want to know how to upgrade HP EVA 6400 Storage Upgrade/ 3*Disk Enclosure/ 28*600GB 15K FC HDD and Memory upgrade on  Existing X3800 Network Storage Systems.

This appears to be for a commercial or non-consumer setup.
    You may get a better response from here.
    ↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

• HT4561 how to upgrade operating system from 10.5.8 to mountain lion

How do upgrade my I MAC from MAC OS X ro Mountain lion?

To upgrade from OS X 10.5.8, you must first buy Snow Leopard by calling the phone number in the Apple Online Store: 800-MY-APPLE (in the US)
    Make sure your system meets Snow Leopard's requirements:
    Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" System Requirements
    To install Snow Leopard for the first time, you must have a Mac with:
    An Intel processor
    An internal or external DVD drive, or DVD or CD Sharing
    At least 1 GB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended)
    A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
    At least 5 GB of disk space available, or 7 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools
    After you install Snow Leopard you can decide if you want to upgrade OS X to the latest version, Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is available in the Mac App Store, which is available to you after upgrading to Snow Leopard.
    Make sure your system meets the requirements for Mountain Lion:
    Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" System Requirements
    To install Mountain Lion, you need one of these Macs:
    iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)
    Your Mac needs:
    OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
    2 GB or more of memory (RAM)
    8 GB or more of available hard disk space
    If your system does not support Mountain Lion's requirements, you may be able to upgrade to Lion. To do that you must call Apple again to order a download code. Redeem the download code in the App Store to download Lion. Lion costs 99¢ more than Snow Leopard.
    Make sure your system meets the requirements for Lion:
    Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" System Requirements
    Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon CPU
    Core Duo CPUs are not sufficient for Lion
    2GB of memory (RAM)
    OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
    To determine which Mac you have, what kind of CPU it uses, and how much memory is installed:  > About this Mac
     The specified 2 GB minimum is barely adequate for either Lion or ML. They will run in 2 GB but you may not like its performance. 4 GB is a more realistic minimum.

• How to upgrade hdd to sad for Lenovo y460 ?

Hi I am thinking of upgrading my hdd to ssd, but how do I reinstall my win7 into the new sad as my laptop didn't come with the disc but some one key recovery.
    Can I buy any ssd 250gb in the market or some trim enabled ones?
    Super thanks

Bitmee wrote:
    Hi I am thinking of upgrading my hdd to ssd, but how do I reinstall my win7 into the new sad as my laptop didn't come with the disc but some one key recovery.
    Can I buy any ssd 250gb in the market or some trim enabled ones?
    Super thanks If you don't mind losing OneKey feature you can just buy an ssd similar to this which I think includes a cloning software which you will use to transfer your OS to the ssd. In general all ssd nowadays already have trim integrated and enabled.

• How to upgrade ( touchsmart 610-1130f ) under Linux Operating System: Ubuntu 10.11

How to upgrade ( touchsmart 610-1130f ) under Linux Operating System: Ubuntu X11
    Unfortunatly didn't do it before erasing Win Se7en.

I got the answer: If your operating systemt is not listed, we don't have upgrade for you.  If I knew that I woud'nt buy a HP computer.

• How to upgrade ( touchsmart 610-1130f ) under Linux Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10

How to upgrade ( touchsmart 610-1130f ) under Linux Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10
    Options 
    How to upgrade ( touchsmart 610-1130f ) under Linux Operating System: Ubuntu X11
    Unfortunatly didn't do it before erasing Win Se7en.

I got the answer: If your operating systemt is not listed, we don't have upgrade for you.  If I knew that I woud'nt buy a HP computer.

• Plz upload a video on how to upgrade a traditional HDD to SSD on lenovo t61

can someone plz upload a video showing how to upgrade a traditional HDD to SSD on lenovo t61, help appreciated thanks
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi ghattiya,
    Removing and replacing the HDD, assuming the same form factor, is shown in the Lenovo Training Videos.
    For tips on how to clone the drive or do a clean install, I suggest starting by searching the forum.
    I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Maybe you are looking for

• Changing the Crystal Report dependency from 10.2 to 11.5 using config file

Hi, We have an windows application in .net 2.0, which refers to Crystal Report 10.2 version. Now the dependency was being upgraded to 11.5. But we do not have the exact source code for the executable to change the dependency from 10.2 to 11.5. I have

• Interactive Script in the Interaction Center WinClient

Hi Experts     My question is how to pass parameters between two workspaces. More specifically between the workspace of the Interactive Script WinClient and the workspace Activity.    Can anyone help me on this issue?. Thanks

• Your reference field in B2B shop

Hi Can anyone explain, what is the importance of field Your Reference in B2B webshop while creating orders. Regards, Ajay

• Suddenly i have an error pane directly under the normal display area. How do I get rid of this

I have a sidebar with the bookmarks and then the Tree-Style Tabs add-on as a sidebar. The right hand side of the screen was previously dedicated to the active site. Now suddenly it has been split into 2 horizontal sections - the upper part with the w

• Picking Strategy

For a specific storage type, I have 2 storage section defined, 001 and 100, how do I configure, irregardless of picking strategy, to go to storage section 100 first to look for the material and then storage section 001.