How to upgrade to windows 7 in Thinkpad T400?

I have brought Thinkpad T400 in 2008, I want to run windows 7. I just know I need to upgrade my BIOS to activate windows 7. I will buy a windows 7 from BestBuy, Is it ok?
 any one can tell me the steps? Thanks a lot.
My Thinkpad T400 is 2764 CTO,
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2261MHz
ATI Radeon HD3400
BIOS:
Version: 7UET43WW(1.13)
Date: 08/19/2008
SLIC:
Vesion: 2.0
PubKey: LENOVOTP-7U
Marker: LENOVOTP-7U
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Hi,
As usual, it is strongly recommended to backup all important data prior to upgrading any operating system. It is also strongly recommended to verify all currently used hardware and software with the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.
Depending on if you are moving from Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista there are two different types of installations that can be performed when migrating to Microsoft Windows 7.
First, it is important to note that there is not an in-place upgrade from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 7. Instead of an upgrade, there is a type of installation known as a “custom” installation. This option for installation is also available when moving from Windows Vista. A custom installation will attempt to back up your data files and bring them over to Windows 7 in what is known as a “windows.old” folder however this is considered to be a clean installation. Your applications that were installed prior to Windows 7 will require reinstallation. You may find the following resource Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 helpful.
If moving from Windows Vista, there is an option for an upgrade installation. The upgrade installation must be initiated from within Windows Vista. You may find the following resource Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 helpful.
Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Similar Messages

• How To Upgrade to Windows 8 - Useful Informations

Hi community
    I would like to share very interesting Toshiba page providing the info and details about the new Win 8 upgrade.
    *How To Upgrade to Windows 8*
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/windows8-upgrade-stepbystep/
    Dear Customer,
    Microsoft offers to upgrade Windows 7 computers to Windows 8 Pro. The information in this document explains the requirements and how to make use of the Windows 8 upgrade offer.
    The upgrade process consists of the 5 following parts:
    1. Check if your computer is eligible for upgrade by Microsoft and supported by TOSHIBA.
    2. Things to do before upgrading to Windows 8.
    3. Order Windows 8 from Microsoft and install it.
    4. Download the TOSHIBA Upgrade Assistant.
    5. Upgrade software components using the TOSHIBA Upgrade Assistant.
    _*Part I: Checking the Eligibility Requirements and List of Supported Models*_
    1. This offer is available if you have purchased a PC preloaded with genuine Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013.
    2. Check from the list of supported models, if your computer model is supported for upgrade by TOSHIBA. Visit https://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/windows8-matrix
    _*Part II: Things To Do Before Upgrading to Windows 8*_
    1. Update your current version of Windows 7 to the latest version supplied by Microsoft at: http://www.update.microsoft.com.
    2. Backup all your files and settings before upgrading. Note: Do not back up files to the same hard disk that Windows is installed on. For example, do not back up files to a recovery partition. You can back up to another drive or DVD.
    3. Use the Recovery Media Creator utility to create Recovery media (DVD or USB Flash Memory) which will allow you to restore the factory pre-installed software.
    4. If Toshiba Disc Creator is installed on your computer, remove it.
    a) Click Start ? Control Panel ? Control Panel ? Uninstall program.
    b) Select Toshiba Disc Creator and click the Uninstall/change button.

_*Part III: Ordering Windows 8 from Microsoft and installing it*_
    1. Register for the Windows 8 upgrade through the Windows Upgrade Offer website managed by Microsoft https://windowsupgradeoffer.com and follow the online instructions. Submissions must be completed online by February 28, 2013.
    2. After registration, you will receive a confirmation that will provide more information as to when the Windows 8 upgrade is available for purchase.
    3. After the general availability of Windows 8, you will receive the promotion code and purchase instructions.
    4. Use the Recovery Media Creator utility to create Recovery media (DVD or USB Flash Memory) which will allow you to restore the factory pre-installed software.
    5. Purchase the upgrade as instructed and download Windows 8. You will also be guided to perform a self-qualifying test via an upgrade step-by-step tool with information on the PC before the upgrade.
    6. Follow the online instructions to upgrade the operating system. During this process, select Keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps.
    Caution: Operate your computer from the AC power supply. Otherwise, you may run out of battery power during the upgrade process.
    _*Part IV: Download the TOSHIBA Upgrade Assistant*_
    1. To receive the TOSHIBA Upgrade Assistant and necessary software updates (e.g. BIOS, drivers, utilities, applications) from TOSHIBA, please visit
    https://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/windows8_drivers.jsp
    2. Follow the online instructions.

• How to Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 on an iMac

I have Windows Vista already installed on my iMac. I would now like to upgrade to Windows 7. I wish to know how do I go about it. Can I upgrade to Windows 7 from within Windows Vista or do I need to go through Bootcamp like you do when you first install Windows on an iMac. I currently have the latest version of iOS installed on my iMac. Thank you for your help.

Dear Mike,
    If i want using MAC OS X version 10.6.8, what version should i use preferably parallels, is it free ?
    Coz, my parallel and the windows xp suddenly is gone, i don't know why..Can you help me..
    Thank you Mike.
    Best Regards,
    Doni.

• How To: Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 pro

I upgrades from windows 7 home to windows 7 pro.
    I could not use the anytime upgrade option, so I did a full install
    I had a problem that I notice is common for many people, I came up missing drivers for my lan and wifi cards among others, I followed the advice given to others, and found chipset drivers and a few others, however, I had loaded some drivers already, so I am coming up missing the ntwork controler and the usb 2.0 crw. I am also missing the drivers for the camera, and special functions on the key board. I believe that the first step I need to take is to throw away some drivers and reinstall the chiipset drivers and others I have read recommended. However, I don't know what to throw out.

Satellite C55-A5245 Specifications
    Satellite C55-A5245 Support Page
    Blaine
    If you ask for help here, it's generally best to respond in less than a week to someone who's offered to help you. But, let's assume you were very tied up or away.
    Regardless, your model's specifications clearly show that your system originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium, and that it came out in 2013. So, it's difficult to understand why you are upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. Oh, wait, I see your thread title says from Windows XP to Windows 7 pro, but in the text of your original post it says from Win7 Home to Win7 Pro. Again, this is a little confusing.
    Regardless, as it's safe to assume you have already wiped out your Toshiba Recovery Partition in doing a clean install of Win 7 Pro. So, let's just try this. Download this Toshiba utility, double click to begin installation.
    Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7
    Please let us know what happens. Good luck.
    Mike

• How to upgrade to Windows 10 without waiting in line?

No choice but to upgrade to windows 10, since Microsoft will let go of the older versions  ...  

You can follow steps given in below link to upgrade to Windows 10,
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-10-upgrade Or you can just go to the Windows 10 download link and directly download the ISO and install,
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

• How to upgrade from Windows 8.1 OEM to Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Kindly advice
    windows 8.1 oem upgrade to enterprise

SG
    To enable us to help you better, you need to provide as many details as you can about the problem you are experiencing.
    If you design your question effectively, you can get good information from people who are knowledgeable about the topic and who are happy to help you.
    Prepare your question. Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at all.
    What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    Asking an effective question will get you help faster read how here
    Suggestions for asking for help on a site.
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• How to upgrade from windows 8.1 --32 bit media to 64 bit media

Dear Sir,
    Plz provide a link to upgrade OS fro windows 8.1--32 bit media to 64bit media....in my laptop --64 bit 
    Reason: since my touchpad is not working at all 
    Thanks & Regards
    M.Hanumantha rao

Deart Sir,
    Please provide a solution to convert my WIndows OS 8.1-- 32 bit to Windows 8.1 --64 Bit
    Because my laptop is 64 bit.but i purchased and Installed windows 8.1--32 bit.
    the problem is "Mouse touchpad is not Working at all".because Dell frivers is not supportable for Windows 8.1 --32 bit
    but for only windows 7-32bit ,Windows 7--64 bit and Windows 8.1--64 bit
    So kindly let me know the process of "How to convert Windows 8.1 --32 bit to windows 8.1--64bit"
    Thanks & Regards
    M.Hanumantha rao
    07774034953 / 09491895917
    [email protected]
    India

• How to upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 8.1 Pro

Just bought a Tosihba satillite s55-b5268 and have been trying to do a system upgrade, but have been un sucessful. My  windows DVD is recognized and loads up but after it goes thru all the steps and finishes I still have windows 8.1 on my system.  Any suggestions on how to get around this problem would be greatly appreciated

The ISO file (i.e., the DVD) for Windows 8.1 and for Windows 8.1 Pro are identical. Only the product key is different
    The important part is this. If you do a clean install of Windows, you will need to struggle with the dozens of drivers and utilities that make your laptop work as designed. And the order of installation is problematic.
    Your best bet is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. Then upgrade to Pro as I have described using the new key you bought. It takes only minutes. 
    If you failed to create recovery media, obtain it from Toshiba. Scroll down to Get Recovery Media here
    See the instructions in the section Restoring from recovery media, which begins on p. 50 of the User's Guide.
       Satellite/Satellite Pro L40/L50/L70/S40/S50/S70-B Series User’s Guide
    -Jerry

• Help! Need advice on how to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows 7 Evaluation Copy: Build 7100

I am on an HP Pavillion Media Center m8200m PC.  The computer came with Vista on it and did not come with any Vista operating system installation discs when I bought it.  I did make a set of two system recovery discs from this original Vista operating system,  About 3 months ago, I decided to put on an evaluation copy of Windows 7 (Build 7100).  In order to do this, I had to remove Vista completely from my computer and then install the the Windows 7 evaluation download from Microsoft.  It has worked fine since, but will expire shortly.  I now want to put on a permanent installation of Windows 7, but am unsure how to do this.  Can someone please explain the procedure to me.  I have read that I cannot upgrade to anything directly from the Windows 7 evaluation copy.  Do I need to recover the computer and install Vista from the recovery discs  (providing I can reinstall Vista from these recovery discs), then upgrade to a permanent version of Windows 7 (from a less expensive Windows 7 upgrade).  Or, will I have to buy a full version of Windows 7 and start from scratch?  Also, is there a way to retain all my data on this computer during this new installation of Windows 7, or will I lose averything including programs, data, etc. and have to reinstall it once I have the new permanent operating system on the computer?  
    I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, but can't seem to get a straight answer.  I want to do this as soon as possible, so would greatly appreciate a straight, clear explanation of what to do.  I would truly appreciate it.

It is possible to upgrade the evaluation version to the RTM version with some fiddling as shown here.  It would be better to do a clean install.
    Bob Headrick,  HP Expert
    I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
    If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V
    If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

• Easy instructions on how to upgrade my Windows 7 OS to windows 8.1

Hi, I have just purchased a Lenovo E73 thinkcentre that has Windows 7 OS installed and I would like to change this to Windows 8.1 OS but I cannot find any instructions on Google or Lenovo websites on how to do this. All I have is 4 DVD's that came with the PC which seem seem to have Windows 8 Pro recovery disks but no instructions on how to use them. Has anyone written an easy to follow procedure on how to do this upgrade ? I know that if install Windows 8.1 I will have to pay a license fee to Micro$oft.

Installation Guide  Instructions for all features and settings.
    Boot Camp 4.0 FAQ  Get answers to commonly asked Boot Camp questions.
    Windows 7 FAQ  Answers to commonly asked Windows 7 questions.
    http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
    Clone Lion to an external drive.
    Download the drivers which you will need via Boot Camp Assistant.
    Windows can format and use your entire hard drive.
    Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4 can clone your Lion Recovery and main HFS partition to your external drive. Your 2011 came with Lion and with network insall but good to have a local copy OS X.
    So really it is just that you can't download the Boot Camp Apple drivers directly inside Windows. Normally you would do that to get hardware support.

• How to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?

I recently bought the upgrade version of Windows 7 utimate for my laptop, my laptop is new and Windows Vista pre-installed. I would like to know if I upgrade Windows 7 from this "Fresh", pre-installed vista, would this Windows 7 operate as good as the clean installed Windows 7?
    I am not very clear how Vista upgrades to Windows 7, do Windows 7 upgrades based on the old Vista system? Or it will install a clean and new Windows 7 then only copy all the settings and programmes from old Vista?

Hi
    Can you please tell us what Toshiba notebook you have exactly and what Vista version you have exactly (Home, Business, etc. and 32bit/64bit)?
    Theoretically you can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 but it must be same version. That means its only possible to upgrade from 32bit to 32bit and 64bit to 64bit.
    If you want to upgrade you have to insert this disc and follow the screen instructions, thats all.

• SAP Server upgrade from Windows 2003 and 2008 R2 with Oracle Database

Hi,
    We need to upgrade upgrade our Windows servers that are running our SAP systems from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2.  We are using Microsoft Clustering for HA so an inplace upgrade seems not possible.
    Someone has suggested to us that we will need to export our database and reimport it to achieve this upgrade however but I cannot understand why this would be necessary (we are not changing the underlying filesystem!).
    Could someone please confirm whether a database export and import is required for this OS upgrade scenario?  I have done a bit of research but nothing has jumped out and now I need an answer to this quickly.
    We are running
    - ERP 6.0 NW 7.01 (soon to be 7.02 with ABAP stack only)
    - XI(PI) Java & ABAP
    - SRM (Java & ABAP)
    - Portal (Java only)
    - PLM (Java & ABAP)
    - BW (BI 7.0) (Java and ABAP)
    Thank You
    Felicity

Hello,
    You need to go for 'Homogeneous System Copy' to achieve this, but since almost all the systems in your landscape include the Java Stack as well - so the system copy with Export/Import is to be carried out.
    Even if you are not going for file system change, but it is a Windows environment and you can't put SAP up on the target Windows (windows 2008 R2) just by copying the contents and file system from source to target. You need SAPinst to create the registry and all. - On top of that you have Java stacks involved, so for java stack you can't carry out just backup/restore method to put SAP up there on target - so you need Export/import because for java stack some OS level dump is to be collected during system copy from source and it needs to be imported on target OS.
    Are you clear on this one ?
    Read system copy guide once and Search in OSS for the Notes to check how to upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2.
    Thanks

• Should I upgrade to Windows 8.1? Helix Thinkpad 36984SU

I'm a 70 y/o who likes my Helix but I'm concerned about causing problems when I upgrade to Windows 8.1. Should I be concerned and not upgrade?  If I should upgrade what should expect in improved function or new problems that can be easily corrected.  I don't want to spend a lot of time correcting problems as I'm happy as to how things work now.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!
    One year after the debut of Windows 8, Windows 8.1 is here. It feels significantly less dramatic, but Microsoft's latest version of its PC operating system has some changes, and some requirements, all its own. Microsoft 8.1 has enhanced basic features such as search, improved built-in apps such as the Mail and Better SkyDrive integration. On top of that, Start button is back, Performance improved, more ways to personalize your PC.
    Refer here to understand more on upgrading to windows 8.1.
    I would suggest you to have a look at the Knowledgebase created by Mark_lenovo to have a better picture regarding the upgrade.
    For installation details and instructions, visit here and choose the topics listed under ThinkPad.
    Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    Mithun.
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• WiFi problem after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Lenovo R400 ThinkPad

I have this problem after updating to 8 to 8.1
    Right after updating to 8 to 8.1, all of a sudden my wifi stops working. I used my philips external wifi usb stick and now I'm able to get the internet going.
    However if I disconnect my philips usb I no longer get the internet because the built in wifi that came with the R400 ThinkPad no longer works. I went through the device manager and under properties it tells me, 'Device not working properly' however it is up to date.
    Im Running Windows 8.1  64bit  Laptop Lenovo R400 ThinkPad

Hi Matti,
    Thank you for replying back!
    I suggest you to reinstall the Windows 8.1, as all the windows driver will not update, if you have upgraded the Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.
    Please download Windows 8.1 separately and reinstall the OS, I hope this may resolve the issue.
    Note: I am not suggesting for clean installation, only reinstalling the same OS.
    Do not update the drivers from ThinkVantage system update utility. I suggest you to uninstall the current drivers and download the drivers manually for Windows 8.1 and install it.
    Below is the link to enter the downloads page and download updates accordingly, please click on "Select Product" then in "QUICK PATH" enter the MTM no. select the exact model.
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page#
    Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• HT204150 After upgrading to Windows 8, in my Outlook 2007 Contacts I now have "Contacts in iCloud" and "Contacts from iCloud".   How can I merge the two into one Contacts list.

After upgrading to Windows, in my Outlook 2007 Contacts I now have "Contacts in iCloud"  plus "Contacts from iCloud".  How can I merge the two to avoid duplication.

Hi Ingo 2711,
    Thank you for your suggestion.  I backup on itunes. I went to itunes, deleted syncing my contacts, then re-synced them. But the Facetime capability option continues to be there on most (not all, for some curious reason) of my contacts. I am not sure I posed my question correctly.  I want to be able to FT with my family, so don't want to delete the FT capability totally from my iphone and ipad. But I don't want all these other iphone calls from various contacts to ring on my ipad as FT calls.  I want a way to select with whom I have FT capabilities. Any further suggestions? Thanks much, trekpal

Maybe you are looking for

• Why is there a grey block on the bottom of my screen in safari and i cant see the top of my screen in full screen mode?

When I put the window into full screen mode a gray block appears across the bottom of the screen. Thus the top of any given web page is truncated upward and I cannot access anything...But if I minimize the view what was once unavailable reappears. Is

• Getting the files from a web directory...?

Sigh I've spent the last couple hours googling, forum searching, API sweeping, and experimenting.. I just can't figure this one out. I've got a game which reads levels from a text file. This is all fully functional. I've decided that I want my game t

• Actions not working in Edge CC 2014?

Hi all, My Edge Animate CC 2014 is up to date, and now I can't add an action to the timeline. I want to add an action at the end of the timeline to replay the animation. It used to be called Complete, and then I had to change Play from to 0000. There

• Write "Unknown error." Log in App Store from MacBook.

I cannot enter into AppStore only from MacBook, username and password is introduced correctly. Please, help me(

• Tolerance on basic start date

Hi,Experts, In case of Preventive maintenance order generated through system,can we make some settings so that user will be restricted to deviate the basic start date more than 7 days.Means User can only postpone or prepone  maximum 7 -days compared