How well is Arch with Thinkpad T43?

I have an old Thinkpad T43 with Opensuse 10.3 installed, as opensuse 10.3 is out of support cycle, I want to try Arch, but not sure if everything is fine, currently all hardwares(modern, suspend/resume, speaker/mic, volume control, etc... everything) are working fine, I also tried latest versions of some distros like Ubuntu 10.04 but there are a few hardwares not working. Is there anyone who have similar experience can tell me how well is it?
Thanks!

I think a T43 even fully supports all tp smapi functions Check the wiki for all possibilities!

Similar Messages

• How well SAP copes with a manufacturing environment ...?

Hi all,
    I wanted to check abt how well SAP copes with a manufacturing environment where there are many parts for many product lines, with small production quantities being the norm. In this case, you would see many BOMs, High quantity of POs, Supplier invoices etc. This is in addition to the normal needs for Quality inspection forms, WIP movement and valuation. It's intended to be utilise all the modules, ordering, inventory, quality, purchasing, MRP, sales order, invoicing, payments, AR/AP, HR, CRM.

Hi,
    SAP was built around the manufacturing functionality. I have been implementing SAP into Manufacturing companies for the past 17 years and the size (Big or small) and complexity (simple or complex) has never been an issue.
    In fact, I would say that the companies that benefit the most from SAP are manufacturing companies that have lots of BOMs, lots of POs etc.
    there couldn't be a better fit of functionality.
    Steve B

• HP Bluetooth Laser Mouse - anyone know how well it works with Leopard?

I have no doubt that it should connect fine to my Boot Camp Windows XP, but has anyone used this mouse with a MacBook? Is it a good mouse in general? What about Leopard - are all of it's buttons and functions available?
    This is the mouse I am looking at : http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Bluetooth-Laser-Mouse-wireless/dp/B0013JX38S/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&m=A3J0NC2R65XHPW&s=generic&qid=1223575379&sr=1-1

I got the HP mouse today, it looks very sleek and seems to connect effortlessly in Leopard and Tiger, has a good amount of hand support too. The only immediate concern is that the tracking speed seems to go from average to WOAH THERE!!! with little in between (like the shower that only has two settings - freezing cold or scolding hot). The tracking is very fine though so I guess smaller more refined movements may be in order. Haven't found how to make the scroll wheel sideways button action work yet, but at least I have a scroll wheel again.
    I got this mainly for Windows gaming on the MacBook so the Windows drivers are probably much better and more refined for that purpose.

• How well does SAP copes with a manufacturing environment ......?

Hi all,
    I wanted to check about how well SAP copes with a manufacturing environment where there are many parts for many product lines, with small production quantities being the norm. In this case, you would see many BOMs, High quantity of POs, Supplier invoices etc. This is in addition to the normal needs for Quality inspection forms, WIP movement and valuation. It's intended to utilise all the modules, ordering, inventory, quality, purchasing, MRP, sales order, invoicing, payments, AR/AP, HR, CRM.

Hi,
    Not sure about the scenario - many BOMs for many production line - Is it that there are very high number of material master data which has BOMs or there are lot of BOMs for single material. If it is the second case, concept of variant configuration can be used, where number of BOMs are reduced by using super BOM.
    Regarding high quantity of POs: probably you can exlpore the option of clubbing small POs into a single one for common vendors.
    Regards,
    Amalesh

• How well  does SAP cope with a manufacturing environment ....?

Hi all,
    I wanted to check about how well SAP copes with a manufacturing environment where there are many parts for many product lines, with small production quantities being the norm. In this case, you would see many BOMs, High quantity of POs, Supplier invoices etc. This is in addition to the normal needs for Quality inspection forms, WIP movement and valuation. It's intended to utilise all the modules, ordering, inventory, quality, purchasing, MRP, sales order, invoicing, payments, AR/AP, HR, CRM.

Hi Usha,
    ...you should have a look at the diffeent best practices offerings (aka. All-in-One). Theree are a lot of offerings there - pre-configured, ready to go - that apply to manufacturing industries like Chemical, Automotive, etc. Go to help.sap.com and you will find details abiout the content of the different best practice solutions.
    I hope this helpes.
    Oliver

• How well does the new Mac mini preform

Hi, im thinking of picking up the 2014 Mac mini (i5, 2.6ghz, 8gb ram) And I was wondering how well it performs with yosemite,
    thanks

If I needed a second computer around the house for email, surfing the web, correspondence, and editing family pictures I'd pick one up or look for a good deal on the previous model. Besides the obvious downside of not being upgradable, the internal hard drive (as opposed to the SSD) is a serious bottleneck on performance. Several years ago I said I'd never buy another computer with a hard drive and that was when I had an iMac with a 7200 RPM drive. Now that Apple is installing slow 5400 RPM drives in its base desktops I advise everyone to get an SSD or Fusion Drive. I was frankly surprised how good Intel's Iris integrated graphics is (compared to its previous efforts)

• How to setup grub2 with arch linux and xen, lvm on luks

OK, so I tried downloading this package from AUR:  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xen-git/ , but that has patching problems as noted in the comments.  It looks like the packagebuild sets up all the xen stuff for you, but I can't seem to get the package to install because of the error's while patching.  If anyone can point me in the right direction on what all the extra files in the PKGBUILD are for or how to debug problems with PKGBUILDs not working because of patches.
    So next I just tried to compile the latest xen from git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git (with ./configure, make, make install) and that seemed to go fine, but I'm a bit confused:
    1.  Do I have to do any additional configuration for xen when working with arch linux?  On ubuntu I could just compile the source, update grub, and make sure to start the x services at runtime.
    2.  How do I set up grub to load xen with this setup?  Right now this is my /boot/grub/grub.cfg:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Arch"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=/dev/sda3:vgStorage"
    # Preload both GPT and MBR modules so that they are not missed
    GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_gpt part_msdos"
    # Uncomment to enable Hidden Menu, and optionally hide the timeout count
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=5
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    # Uncomment to use basic console
    GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
    # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
    #GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console
    # The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    GRUB_GFXMODE=auto
    # Uncomment to allow the kernel use the same resolution used by grub
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
    # Uncomment if you want GRUB to pass to the Linux kernel the old parameter
    # format "root=/dev/xxx" instead of "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx"
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
    # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
    # Uncomment and set to the desired menu colors. Used by normal and wallpaper
    # modes only. Entries specified as foreground/background.
    #GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-blue/black"
    #GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="light-cyan/blue"
    # Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme
    #GRUB_BACKGROUND="/path/to/wallpaper"
    #GRUB_THEME="/path/to/gfxtheme"
    # Uncomment to get a beep at GRUB start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
    #GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"
    ~
    I've tried throwing in a line like: XEN_HYPERVISOR_CMDLINE="cryptdevice=/dev/sda3:vgStorage", but nothing new shows up on the grub boot menu.
    First time trying to set up a non-ubuntu system, please help!

As for XEN.... well you could always try QEMU/KVM or LXC.
    As for the LVM2-on-LUKS/dm-crypt
    My /etc/mkinitcpio.conf looks like this...
    MODULES="aesni_intel ata_generic ata_piix nls_cp437 ext4 intel_agp i915 dm-snapshot"
    BINARIES=""
    FILES=""
    HOOKS="base udev autodetect block keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems keyboard fsck shutdown"
    /etc/defaults/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:root:allow-discards"
    GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_gpt part_msdos"
    GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
    GRUB_GFXMODE=auto
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
    The running grub config looks like this
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    9 insmod part_gpt
    10 insmod part_msdos
    53 if loadfont unicode ; then
    54 set gfxmode=auto
    55 load_video
    56 insmod gfxterm
    57 set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
    58 set lang=en_US
    59 insmod gettext
    60 fi
    61 terminal_input console
    62 terminal_output gfxterm
    63 set timeout=3
    84 menuentry 'Backup, Arch Linux grsec kernel' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-grsec kernel-true-12341234-8080-8080-8080-332200882255' {
    85 load_video
    86 set gfxpayload=keep
    87 insmod gzio
    88 insmod part_msdos
    89 insmod ext2
    90 set root='hd1,msdos2'
    91 if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
    92 search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos2 BBAAEEAA-FFCC-CCFF-FFCC-AABBCCEEBBAA
    93 else
    94 search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root BBAAEEAA-FFCC-CCFF-FFCC-AABBCCEEBBAA
    95 fi
    96 echo 'Loading Linux grsec kernel ...'
    97 linux /vmlinuz-linux-grsec root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-lvroot rw cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:root:allow-discards quiet
    98 echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    99 initrd /initramfs-linux-grsec.img
    100 }
    Things to note:
    Numerical UUID is the UUID of the ROOT partition.
    Alphabetical UUIS is the BOOT partition
    hd1,msdos2 AND ahci1,msdos2 are how the Grub Bootloader numbers the drives not Linux.
    I have my BOOT partition on a USB stick, and it is the Second partition.
    So, that would make it, Device 2 and Partition 2
    Device numbering starts at 0
    Partition numbering starts at 1
    Oh, and note that you don't need ":allow-discards" ... at all but certainly if you don't have an SSD. Also note that I included the line numbers so it is very clear that I didn't post the whole thing, but instead what I thought was relevant. Finally, I am loading modules that I don't even need, but what the hell... if it ain't broke, don't fix it
    Last edited by hunterthomson (2013-12-04 08:31:45)

• How to restore Thinkpad T43 or R52 using rescue and recovery CD's

The genuine IBM Recovery CD Set will re-install your ThinkPad T43 or R52 (listed types only) with the original pre-load factory software, including Windows XP Professional with a legal, valid license, and all the original IBM Drivers and applications.
    1. Set your Laptop to Boot From the CDROM Drive.
    IT MAY ALREADY BE set to boot from CD if a bootable disc is in the drive so try and see if it does first with the disc labed 'rescue and recovery'. If it does then just skip to step 2. If it does not then you will have to enter the computers BIOS setup to tell it to.
    NOTE: When in the BIOS SETUP DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE if you are not absolutely sure what you are changing.
    ACCESSING THE BIOS:
     During startup at the first screen (says "IBM Thinkpad") press F12 then F1 to enter the bios setup program.
    Use keys to navigate to 'startup' then to 'boot'. Press enter and following instructions in the right hand panel move the items to make your CD or DVD drive (Atapi CD0) AHEAD of your main hard drive (IDE HDD0). It doesn't matter if 'legacy floppy or USB are ahead of either of them if they are not connected. PRESS F-10 TO SAVE AND EXIT the bios setup program.
    2.Restart the computer with the first disc i.e. Rescue and Recovery CD already in the drive. The recovery program will come up. A smaller window will come up.
    3.Follow the on screen prompts.
    Choose to restore to Factory Specifications to Install OS, Applications and Drivers
     At some point it may ask if there is a supplemental disk. This is the one that says 'Lenovo'.
    4.Follow on screen prompts (i.e. insert disk 1)
    5.The prompts will continue to ask for the discs in numbered order.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to restore laptop to factory settings
    7. Do not boot directly to the hard drive until the entire recovery process is complete i.e until you have used all the recovery cds for the set.
    8. During the recovery process the computer will reboot multiple times. Do not do anything to interrupt the process unless you are asked to insert any specific disk.
    AT THE END:
    Promps may ask for the supplemental disc again, follow the on screen prompts.
    Computer will restart, you may see the original recovery screen. BE PATIENT, The files still have to expand. You may not see any prompts for a couple of minutes.
    SOMETIMES: (I dont know why)
    After loading all the discs and after it takes you to the recovery program if nothing happens AFTER A GOOD PERIOD OF TIME, BE PATIENT, remove all discs and click on restore factory contents AGAIN. It will expand all the files (takes a while) and restore your system.
    Afterwards computer will restart multiple times as it continues to load windows, programs and drivers. Follow all the on screen prompts until it is done.
    Once everything is done go to microsoft (All Programs > Windows update) and load all new service packs and updates.
    Partially taken from the internet and written for a customer. Tried and tested. PLEASE ADD TO KNOWLEDGEBASE.
    NOTE: instructions may also be valid for other Model Thinkpads.

NNNNN wrote:
    SOMETIMES: (I dont know why)
    After loading all the discs and after it takes you to the recovery program if nothing happens AFTER A GOOD PERIOD OF TIME, BE PATIENT, remove all discs and click on restore factory contents AGAIN. It will expand all the files (takes a while) and restore your system.
    IIRC this was the normal recovery/restore procedure for older ThinkPads.  First the recovery image is installed, then the machine reboots to Rescue and Recovery to use that image to restore the rest of the hard drive. User input is required at that point to select restore.
    Newer machines combine both operations.
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• How well do displays over 20" work with macbook?

Im thinking of getting a cinema display or similar at about 20" or so. how well does the macbook handle large displays since the gfx card isnt that powerful? im not expecting to play World of Warcraft at full size but will any applications take a hit? i have the lowest macbook model but i put in 2gigs of ram. thanks.

I just got a macbook and it works fine with my dell 2007fpw. For that matter, my g3 ibook works fine (if a little slow for some operations) with that monitor at full resolution (1600x1050) (after screenspanning doctor). The graphics card may be weak compared to other current laptop offerings, but it is by no means bad, and for any 2d task it is just fine.
    ibook g3/macbook white 2ghz   Mac OS X (10.4.7)  

• How well does the wireless "Wild Charge" pad work with the iPhone?

how well does the wireless "Wild Charge" pad work with the iPhone?

I have tried similar things, and no, it has not become corrupted. So it should be fine

• How well does the iPhone 5s/5c work with Wind Mobile?

I'm going to be (hopefully) getting the iphone 5s or 5c soon and I'm trying to decide on which carrier to go with. How well does the iphone 5s/5c work with wind mobile and how fast is the internet with data?

http://www.windmobile.ca/
    iPhone: Wireless carrier support and features

• Does the amount of gigabits for an ipod touch have to do with how well it runs?

does the amount of gigabits, for an ipod touch, have to do with how well it runs?

Only when you have very little storage available, like less than 1/2 GB or so.

• How well does a Samsung Galaxy (Android) integrate with Mac OS?

Hi, I'm wondering how well a Samsung Galaxy integrates with Mac OS?
    In terms of:
    -Address Book contacts
    -iCal calendars
    -Mail (dot mac mail account)
    -iTunes Music
    Is it possible to create a seamless experience?  Anyone doing this?

Smart panel works OK for me on Lion but the printer is CLP325-w. (though only recently updated and Im pretty sure it was ok on the CLP315 too.
    To check status go to system preferences>Print&Scan and the check the options and supplies box. You should be able to see 4 toner levels.
    Also, what happens when you actually choose to print? On mine I get a box appear which actually shows toner levels each time.
    I'm not actually in the office right now so I'll check later and post again if I can add anything.

• Issue with installing drivers for thinkpad t43

good evening all.
    i offered to help out a friends son by reinstalling a fresh copy of xp on his t43 as it wouldnt load due to virus's and what not.  everything went fine with the install apart from the fact that i cant seem get certian drivers to register.
    In Device Manager under network adapters it is showing BCM5701 Gigabit ethernet and the device status is stating '' this device cannot start.
    then under other devices its showing: multimedia audio controller, network controller, pci modem and unkown device
    i have downloaded the files specific to the model, OS but can seem to find the fault
    ThinkPad T43 (2668-B12)
    Operating System:Windows XP Service Pack 2  ( it is the xp pro edition)
    is it worth reinstalling again or have others come across this and it is something i have missed?
    thanks in advance.
    JD
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Welcome to the forum!
    Installing drivers on most ThinkPads is a two-step process: after you've ran the downloaded file, you must go into the Win subfolder and run the setup from there.
    For instance, this is the applicable wireless (network controller) driver for that T43:
    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6hwc05ww.zip
    After the download, you might have to go into C>Drivers>Win>Wlanint and run the setup.
    Mutimedia audio controller is the sudio driver:
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-58599
    C>Drivers>Win>Audio
    I suppose that you're catching the drift by now...
    Before anything else, I'd *strongly* suggest that you install Intel chipset driver, and SATA power management driver.
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• How well does Qmaster via Compressor work with FCP 7?

How well does Qmaster via Compressor work with FCP 7?

It works wonderfully as long as you are running (at least) OSX 10.5.6 + QT 7.6 on a serious intel mac.
    x

Maybe you are looking for