IBook To ThinkPad T42 -

I need to transfer some data files (some as big as 4 GB) from my iBook to my ThinkPad T42. I have never done this before. I have two options and I dont really know which one is gonna work and is the best. Both computers are on the same high speed wireless internet connection. Is there a way I can access files on my iBook from my ThinkPad over the network? If yes, how do I do it (I will need a detailed explaination because I have never done this before).
This option seems complicated to me.
Alternatively, can I just connect the two computers by an ethernet cable? Will that work? If yes, how should I go about it?
Please help me out with this issue.
Thanks already.
herschel

Even better (faster), you could create a direct network (ad-hoc) between the two computers, that should enhance the rate of transference (as it is not traveling trough the router, but directly between both computers). Try this:
Enable windows sharing on the iBook and Share any folder on the PC (be sure to allow other users to change the files). Turn both wireless cards on. On the iBook click on the airport menu and select Create Network, using the default settings.
Now, make the PC join the network you just created, and browse Network in the iBook, double click on the PC (if needed, use the PC username and password), and once you connect drag the files you want to burn to the PC shared folder.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain

Similar Messages

• Fan error at startup in ibm thinkpad t42

i always get fan error at startup in my  ibm thinkpad t42 since 1 week. i press esc key at error and that is the only way my system startup. its not in warranty and will like to try to fix it on my own. please help. i am worried

Try bblowing some air into the fan lover when the system is off. Then turn the system on and put your hand at the louver to see if it blows air. If this doesnt work, run PC doctor for DOS ( available at  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-56222) and check the problem. If this doesnt work either, replace the fan.

• Problems with driver after formatting a Thinkpad T42

Hi,
    I formatted my Thinkpad T42 since I was experiencing different issues and the recovery software didn't work. I managed to reinstall Windows pro sp2, but now I'm not able to make some hardware to work.
    I downloaded every driver regarding wireless but even after I install them I cannot use the wireless connection. I tried to follow the step to update the driver, but this doesn't work either. Even if I set the correct path to the driver it says it cannot find it.
    What should I do?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hello mate,
    There is the driver for your card : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62875
    Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.
    ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
    ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

• HELP ! WiFi Adapter Card for Thinkpad T42 ?

Hi everyone, 
    I am new to this site, and new to laptops. I just bought a used IBM LENOVO T42 1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD with XP PRO. I am confussed about the WiFi issue, as it seems like two cards are required (internal / external) to get wireless. I have been searching the internet trying to find out what external and/or internal card I need to buy, but have become frustrated because I don't understand the lingo.
    I bought my computer off eBay with this description:  
    IT ALSO COMES WITH WIRELESS CAPABILITY  TO CONNECT TO ANY WIFI NETWORK OR HOTSPOT AND CONNECT TO THE INTERNET  BY ADDING AN ADAPTER CARD.
    And the specs say this, Expansion slots: one Type III PC Card slot
    Can someone please shed some light on this for me, and tell me what to buy ?
    Thx, Scott  
    IBM LENOVO T42
    1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Scott,
    it's your choice if you want to install an internal or external card:
    1. Internal card: This is located inside the covers so to install it you have to open up the Thinkpad. Here is the T40/41/42 Hardware Maintenance Manual that shows you how to install what is there called the Mini PCI adapter. Most T42s shipped with this card factory installed but probably your model didn't. As you can see from the manual there were several cards that the T42 could have shipped with, my T42 came with the Intel 2200BG card. The big advantage with this approach is you can use an internal antenna in the cover but you might have to install that too if your model shipped from factory without wireless. The FRU (spare part) number for the antenna assemblies (different for 14" and 15" display models) is also shown in the hardware manual and they can be ordered online from IBM/Lenovo and typically ship overnight. (I would wait and order the antenna assembly until you have opened the Thinkpad, it might be there also for models that shipped from factory without wireless card.)
    2. External card: This you put in one of the PC card slots on the left side of the laptop. The disadvantage is it will stick out of the laptop and carries a small external antenna so you will always have to take it out whenever you pack up your laptop. The antenna might not have quite as good reception as the internal antennna.
    Message Edited by zilla on 2009-03-13 07:12 PM
    T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

• Windows 7 on a ThinkPad T42 (2374)

I've just purchased a used T42 that had Win XP on it and plan to hand it over to my older daughter. I've installed Windows 7 (Home Premium) and many hardware components work. A few important ones, however, don't and I've spent most of the evening wandering around the downloads area. No joy, though. The Wi-Fi adapter doesn't work (that's the really important one). Windows doesn't even see that an adapter exists but I know it's there because it worked under Win XP. The sound doesn't work either (important but not critical). I suppose I could buy a USB Wi-Fi adapter but my preference would be to get the internal device working. From what I've read here, it appears that identifying the right drivers depends on more than just the model (T42) and type (2374). The product ID from the bottom of the case is 2374T64. Can anyone direct me to the right drivers? Thanks!
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Here's the final after-action summary:
    Audio: The Windows Update process found the appropriate drivers and installed them. 
    Wi_Fi: The Windows Update process found the appropriate drivers and installed them. The notebook system is now connected to my WPA2 Wi-Fi system.
    The update process downloaded and installed approximately 1,437 other updates, patches, and security fixes.
    This antique computer with a tiny (40GB) hard drive is now running Windows 7.
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

• Deleting backups on Thinkpad T42

Hi, I have a T42 laptop with Rapid Restore Ultra 4.0 to create backups: the problem is that i've now got 3 backups which are taking too much space on my hard drive, I only need the latest one i did. How do I delete backups? Is there an IBM tool software that works with Rapid Restore to delete backups?
    Please help
    Thanks

Please help
    Thanks

• Thinkpad t42 mouse and keyboard don't work after factory reset

I get to the system preperation tool 2.0 but i cant click or select anything . Same thing happens if i turn the machine on and go into safe mode - the keyboard works to select safe mode but when I get to safe mode they both don't work. they both work if i go into the IBM recovery menu.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    DK
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi DK,
    If you are using the Rescue and Recovery to reload Windows, you should never see the "SysPrep 2.0" appear. Are you using the orignal recovery CDs to reload windows or booting from the F11 partition?  To fix this problem, I would simply start the process of reinstalling Windows again.
    Go to this website and follow the guide for Using Rescue and Recovery to Recover your OS
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70803
    If you are still seeing the "System Preparation Tool 2.0" after reloading Windows, do the following:
    Step 1: Under the "Options" box, make sure the following are checked:
    "Don't reset grace period for activation"
    "Use Mini-Setup
    "Don't regenerate security identifiers"
    Step 2: In the drop down menu for "Shutdown mode", change this setting to "Quit"
    Step 3: Click the "Reseal" button
    This should resolve your issue. Be sure to reload the OS using R&R FIRST before doing the above steps.
    Regards,
    Mark
     Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks

• Cannot connect IBM Thinkpad to Linksys Router Wirelessly

I recently moved in with a friend, and my IBM Thinkpad T42, with Windows XP, cannot connect to her Linksys WRT120N router wirelessly. I am able to connect to the internet using an Ethernet cable, and I am able to connect to other public wireless networks.
    I have been told by Cisco helpdesk people that it is because Windows XP does not support WPA2 security, and/or that because they don't know much about IBM computers, I should get rid of the third party internet connection software, IBM Access Connections, that came with my computer.
    I have been having this problem for a week, and I did not even know I had IBM Access Connections until today, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, my friend has been using that application successfully on her computer, Thinkpad T61, Windows XP, to connect to this router, which she has been using for 2 years. So with two almost identical computers, does anybody know why my wireless connection isn't working?

Answer these questions, I may be able to give you the right solution to your issue: 
    1. Go to your Network Connections folder on your wired computer and check which one is connected:
    a. Local Area Connection
    b. Broadband Connection
    c. 1394 Connection
    2. What is the IP address of your computer?
    3. Who is your internet service provider?
    4. What is the error message when you connect the wireless computer to the network?

• CD-RW/DVD Drive problem on T42

Hi.  I had a product number 2373-JXU Thinkpad T42. I have a CD/DVD drive which is not being recognized by WinXP.  I went to the Lenovo website (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=RMIE-38CEKN) to download a new driver (thinking that I have a corrupted driver not recognizing the hardware).  The only driver available is called cdtpgdos.exe (an old Win 3.1 driver).  When I download it to my desktop, it requires that I install the files to a floppy drive (a.  Fortunately, I have a floppy drive, so I was able to expand the install files to the a: drive.  One of the expanded files (UINSTALL) is the install program.  When executed, it asks for the source directory (a, but the install process gives an error "Error:  Drive A has damaged installation SOURCE files.  Try again using another copy of installation SOURCE file".  
    Can anyone help me try to find the correct driver file or happen to have a correct .exe file available for posting?  Any help you can give would be appreciated.

did you install any itune software recently. 
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Why is my ThinkPad track point scroller not working in Firefox 4?

Today as advised by you I have installed Firefox 4 on my ThinkPad Z60m laptop. Earlier with Firefox and all other application worked fine but now its not working on Firefox 4 yet working fine on MS IE and other applications. Please let me know soonest or else I being an avid user of the IBM track point will discontinue using Firefox altogether.

For me the solution given here worked on my Thinkpad T42 WinXP:
    http://aslezak.com/thinkpad-trackpoint-scrolling-in-firefox
    Open this file in Notepad:
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\tp4table.dat
    Find this line:
    ; Pass 1 rules (These rules run last)
    Add the following lines above that:
    ; Firefox
    *,*,firefox.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9
    *,*,firefox.exe,*,*,MozillaWindowClass,WheelStd,0,9
    *,*,firefox.exe,*,*,MozillaDropShadowWindowClass,WheelStd,0,9
    *,*,firefox.exe,*,*,MozillaUIWindowClass,WheelStd,0,9
    *,*,firefox.exe,*,*,*,WheelVkey,0,9
    Save the file and restart the machine.

• How can i get 1366 x 768 resolution (720p) from t42 laptop?

Hi,
    I'm trying to connect my thinkpad t42 laptop using a vga cable to my samsung lcd tv. my lcd tv has a native resolution of 1366 x 768. However, when i go to display properties in my video setting, i can only select 1024 x 768 for my lcd tv  (basically i only get 4:3 resolution options, i dont get any 16:9 resolution options). i've updated all my drivers - dont all windows and thinkvantage updates but absolutely cannot get the output resolution via vga cable to my lcd tv to be 1366 x 768.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had any luck solving this issue?
    Thanks!

Hello,
    Did you check Samsung's support web site to see if the provide a device driver (it may be called a monitor profile information file) for your Samsung LCD TV with 1366×768 (720p) resolution?  If so, did installing that help?
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• XP SP3 killed my Thinkpad

Anybody know what this means:
    Stop: c0000139 {Entry Pointnot found}
    The procedure entry point GdigetBitmapBitsSize could not be locatedin the dynamic link library GDI32.dll.
    I did the XP Service pack 3 today. The download and installation went fine with no problems. After restart I got the above message.
    The OS will not load. I can't even get into XP safe mode. I can access IBM recovery, but nothing can be done there.
    This problem is affecting my ThinkPad T42.
    Sorry for the double post
    Message Edited by yym_c on 04-23-2008 06:50 AM

I found a fix as below, You would need a Windows XP CD, if you don't have, you might need to ask lenovo to ship it to you.
    Solution already mentioned at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?​PostID=3151626&SiteID=17
    1. boot from a Windows CD and go for the repair option.
    2. Copy gdi32.dll from c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll to c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll. (Do keep a backup copy of the old gdi32.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)
    3. Reboot normally In Repair Mode
    *just hit:    "copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll"
    It should ask you to overwright, go ahead and hit "y"
    Then just "exit"
    Bored SysAdmin Blog

• Help Needed for T42 Start-up Problem

Urgent help need!!!
    I have a ThinkPad T42 with Windows XP installed.  It works perfectly for a while without ever have any problem or error message.  Then suddenly it won’t work anymore.  The symptom is following:
    After power on the laptop the Microsoft window would show up and it prompt me for window logon password.  After I type in the password it then shows “window is loading your personal setting”.  After a long while nothing would show up on the screen other than the background of the normal screen.  There is no window bar at the bottom or any icon on the screen.  If I start in safe mode then everything would show up.  I don’t know what is going on.
    This happened two months ago and I ended up restoring a backup image to get it work again.  It happens again today with the same symptom.  I am really tired of having to restore image backup every 2 months. 
    I would really appreciate it if any of your experts can offer me some insight into this problem.  I am desperate in need of help.
    Thanks very much!

wangy26, welcome to the forum,
    Have a look at this thread to see if my post there helps. The problem seems to mostly occur at the start of a month, why I don't know. Unfortunately the member didin't report back whether or not this was a viable solution for them.
    Andy  ______________________________________
    Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points
    Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.
      Deutsche Community     Comunidad en Español    English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество
    PepperonI blog 

• Upgrade or external for t42

I have an old T42 2373h6u with a 60(?) GB hard drive.
    I would like to upgrade to a larger harddrive but I'm figuring I won't be able to find a compatible replacement or it will cost an arm and a leg, so I'm also considering adding a USB external.
    Any comments?

Hello,
    You might want to consider installing the largest capacity 2.5" 9.5mm high PATA (Parallel ATA) hard disk drive that fits your budget, and then place the ThinkPad T42's 60GB hard disk drive in a 2.5" USB to external PATA hard disk drive enclosure.  If you need more external storage, there are many 1TB external hard disk drives available with USB interfaces.
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• T42 Drivers Urgently Required

i have IBM thinkpad T42 laptop TYPE 2373-F1G..i ned drivers for windows XP professional of BIOMETRIC COPROCESSOR,PCI MODEM,NETWORK CONTROLLER,VIDEO CONTROLLER(VGA COMPATIBLE),UNKNOWN DEIVICE ,UNKNOWN DEVICE and MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER...ned as soon as possible pls help me..
    regards,
     fahad.
    Moderator edit: Added detail to subject.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    If you prefer installing manually, then the drivers can be found here:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPa​th.do?quickPathEntry=2373F1G
    Note that to install these drivers successfully, you need to run .exe setups from C:\Drivers.... after extracting each and everyone of them.
    Alternatively, you can install the drivers automatically through ThinkVantage System Update:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/tvsu-up​date.html
    Hope this helps.
    Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
    ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
    IdeaPad: U350
    Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
    Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
    Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
      Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
    Visit my YouTube Channel

Maybe you are looking for

• Content Search web part query

HI, I am struggling to apply filters for one of my query scenario 1. I have multiple Site Collections http://RootWeb/Sites/Jobs, http://RootWeb/Sites/Job1 Etc     Each site collection has a list with data. One of the column in those lists is Division

• Unable to send a text message to one of my contacts

I am using this iphone as an ipod touch until I can switch to att for a cell carrier.  So, I want to send a msg to a contact but it shows it green and wont send.  any odeas

• Quicksilver 2002, best AGP card that I can use ADC port?

I currently have a 2002 QS 933mhz, and would like to add Core Image support. However, I am kind of on a budget, and need to still be able to use my 17'' ADC studio display. I'm okay with having to tape pins 3 and 11 if necessary, but I need the card

• Preview app broken

For the life me I'm trying to fix this problem I'm having with Preview, across multiple users on the same iMac, 10.8.5. Everytime I try to use the screen grab functionality, Preview just unexpectedly quits and I cannot open it again, until I go to th

• Custom Privileges on Second HD

I have a second HD in my MacPro. After upgrading to Slow Leopard, I cannot open it. It says I don't have permission to see its contents. Get Info reveals that all users have "Custom" listed under Privileges. I tried to change them to Read and Write,