??? iMAC 2012 27" used as display for LENOVO THINKPAD T500 ???

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 (must use for work) and my home computer is a 2012 iMac 27". I would liek to use the iMac as an external display for my thinkpad. I've read everywhere online and haven't found the answer I'm looking for!
I bought a displayport TO minidisplay port cable (both male ends) and connected the imac + thinkpad. Executing CMD f2(displayport activating function) does nothing though. I've tried fn+CMD+f2 etc..etc..  I've read these cables can go BOTH ways... (but have also read some only go one way?) The thinkpad has a dvi output as well but I was hoping to use this DP/MDP cable to connect the two computers as it seemed more logical than using the old DVI/VGA formats...
Has anyone got any experience doing this or anything that might help me solve this dilemma.
Thanks for your time!

Hi, if it doesn't have a real MiniDisplay Port, I doubt the adapter has what is needed to do it from what I've read.
ScreenRecycler...
http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

Similar Messages

• How to use the iMac last generation as a display for a PC

Hello,
    Can someone confirm if it's possible to use an iMac last generation as a display for a PC (Windows)  and if, yes, which type of cable or accessory is required?
    Thanks
    Stephanie

Sorry, but you probably can't. The current and previous generation of iMac can only be used as displays with other Thunderbolt-equipped systems.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924
    Only if your PC has a Thunderbolt port that supports video out would this be possible, and such systems are currently rather rare.
    Regards.

• Can I use my iMac (20" G5) as a display for the MacBook Pro 13"?

Can I connect an iMac(20" G5) as a display for the MacBook Pro 13"? If yes, what adapters I need? Does it need modification or software for the iMac?

You need to use ScreenRecycler or a VNC client.
    (49933)

• Can I use 27' iMac(Later 2009) as a display for Mac Pro(future 2013)?

Can I use 27' iMac(Later 2009) as a display for Mac Pro(future 2013)?

See > http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11302
    To be able to use the iMac as an external display, the Mac Pro should come with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port, so think that it will include Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, although we don't know anything.
    To connect the iMac to the Mac Pro, as your iMac has got a Mini DisplayPort, you have to use a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable (Thunderbolt is compatible with Mini DisplayPort cables, but Mini DisplayPort isn't compatible with Thunderbolt cables). Then, just follow the steps of the page above to use the iMac as an external display

• My thuderbolt display is 3 weeks old which I'm using as display for my mac mini. I no longer get the display on but can hear the sound. Please suggest.

My thuderbolt display is 3 weeks old which I'm using as display for my mac mini. I no longer get the display on but can hear the sound. Please suggest.

Make sure the mini-displayport/TB plug is fully seated.  It may look fully plugged in but isn't.
    Make sure the Displays system preferences has an Arrangement tab.  No Arrangement means the monitor is not being detected.
    Do a smc reset.
    If none of this works I suggest you take it back to apple (along with your mini).

• Upgrading Hard Disk Drive of Lenovo THINKPAD T500 2055 ?

Hi there,
    My personal laptop is Lenovo THINKPAD T500 2055, and its main specifications as follows:
    - Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2).
    - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module 4 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1066MHz DDR31066/PC38500 DDR3 SDRAM SoDIMM Kingston
    - ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB.
    - 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm.
    I really need to upgrade the Hard Disk Drive to a bigger size (500 GB, 7200 rpm). and, my major questions are as follows:
    * Could you please advise me on which Hard Disk Drive (500 GB, 7200 rpm) should I buy for my T500 laptop?
    For example, I found (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NSBF32) But I have no idea what T500 supports and what it doesn't... Therefore, I need your help to guide me about this matter. In other words, How do you know if ABC-Hard Disk Drive fits with T500 and XYZ-Hard Disk Drive doesnt fit? What is the clue in knowing what T500 accepts?
    My another question is:
    * How easy is it to remove/replace Hard Disk Drive in Lenovo ThinkPad T500 ???
    I already watched CRU Removals/Replacements on (http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/R61_T61/index.html), But the clip is for ThinkPad R61 and T61. So, Could you please help me how to handle it with T500 ?
    I would greatly appreciate your inputs.
    Thanks for your consideration of my request, and I very much look forward to hearing from you soon !
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    Any SATA drive that is 2.5'' wide and 9.5mm high will work in your T500. The drive you linked to meets the requirement and thus will work.
    For removal and installation instructions, have a look here:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/migr-71568.html
    Hope this helps.
    Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
    ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
    IdeaPad: U350
    Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
    Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
    Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
      Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
    Visit my YouTube Channel

• How can i use my old iMac as a extended desktop display for my new iMac?

I recently purchased a 21.5 in iMac and wanted to use my old iMac as a extended desktop. My new iMac has thunderbolt and USB 3.0 connections while my old iMac has firewire (400 and 800), USB 2.0 and mini-DVI. Is this posible?

Welcome to Apple Support Communities
    If your iMac has got Mini-DVI, you have a 17, 20 or 24-inch iMac that doesn't support Target Display. Late 2009 and Mid 2010 27-inch iMacs, and iMacs with Thunderbolt can be used as external displays. Read > http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11302?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    If your old iMac doesn't support Target Display mode, you can use ScreenRecycler to use your old iMac as an extended display for the new iMac. The only thing you need is that both Macs are connected to the same network

• Use "grid display" for background job of RM07DOCS / MB51

Hello experts,
    When you execute program RM07DOCS with transaction MB51, it uses a "hierarchy display" for the output, a list of material documents. User can then use the menus for "Goto>Detail List" and the display changes to a "grid display".
    If we define a background job for program RM07DOCS with a variant, the program uses the "hierarchy display". Is it possible to use "grid display" instead?  do we need to call a different program?
    Thanks.
    Raul V

Hi Raul,
    Copy standard program RM07DOCS to ZRM07DOCS
    Then add this code "PERFORM detail_list."
    before the code "CALL FUNCTION 'REUSE_ALV_HIERSEQ_LIST_DISPLAY' "
    This will solve your problem.
    Regards.

• Use laptop display for dual display

I'm working on a G5 w/ artisan monitor and want some extra screen real estate. I have a G4 power book and wondered if I can somehow use the screen on the laptop as a dual display for the G5? Both run OSX tiger.

Hi Virginia,
    Welcome to the discussions.
    As far as I am aware, the graphics cards on the powerbooks enable you to run a second display from the laptop, but only as a "mirrored" (i.e. identical picture) of the main display on the laptop. For extra screen real estate, you need fully independant operation, and that can't happen.
    Also, I don't think you can use the screen off the laptop as a "passive" display, as there is no practical way of supplying the correct video input to your laptop display from the second graphics port of the G5.
    For these two reasons, I believe that what you are considering will not be possible.
    Cheers!
    Karl

• Buyer Beware - Horrible Production​/ Shipping Time for Lenovo ThinkPad

I ordered my Lenovo ThinkPad T530 on January 27th, with the quoted estimated shipping time to be 02/08. I get an e-mail on 02/05 saying that my order would be delayed and shipped out within 30 days of this notification. This pushed my shipment date to 02/28 with expected arrival time for 03/04.
    Here's my timeline:
    01/27/13 - Placed order
    02/05/13 - DELAYED NOTIFICATION, expected shipment to be delivered within "30 days of this notice"
    02/08/13 - DELAYED NOTIFICATION, expected to be shipped on 02/28/13 arrival on 03/04/13
    03/04/13 (12:50PM) - Checked my order status and it said that my shipment won't be shipped until 03/13/13 arrival on 03/20/13. Sent an e-mail to Lenovo. e-mail included.
    03/04/13 (03:57PM) - DELAYED NOTIFICATION, expected to be shipped on 03/13/13 arrival on 03/20/13
    03/04/13 (04:23PM) - Received e-mail from Lenovo representative Shadiqulla *** - e-mail included.
    So my order has been delayed THREE TIMES. When was my laptop suppose to be shipped? 02/04/13
    As of 03/04/13, they told me my order has been DELAYED AGAIN. So forgive me if I don't take your generic copy and paste apology as a sign that you guys are actually doing something that actually helps the people who buy your product.
    I would love a refund, but at this point, what can I say, I'm an optimist, and I'm pretty *** patient, so I'll wait until the 13th, but I just wanted to warn the rest of you.
    This is ridiculous and highly inconvenient. I've waited over 36 DAYS for this product and it's still not even in production. You obviously don't care for your customers. This has been the worst experience I've ever had with a company and I hope everyone else is more cautious about purchasing anything from them. Because if this is the example of their customer service now, imagine what it's like when you have the computer down the line.
    I'm forwarding my experience to the BBB and I'll keep things updated.
    -Christy
    E-mail to Lenovo:
    To whom it may concern,
    I ordered my laptop on 01/27 and not only has it been delayed TWICE, but I wasn't even notified when the THIRD delay occurred. If you truly "value" your customers, then you wouldn't continue to test their patience by giving a horrible estimate time of the shipment date, when you're short on parts. That way, I would have time to secure a different laptop from a different manufacturer. I had high hopes for Lenovo through personal recommendations, but no matter how good the product, the *** customer service can only go so far. Your company makes me feel like a dog.
    The order tracker provides practically provides ZERO tracking, because during the past month, nothing has been placed or updated except for how my laptop is continually delayed. This is ridiculous!
    For the sake of keeping my anger in check:
    What is the ACTUAL status of my order? Has it even been BUILT? It was suppose to arrive 2/4, then delayed shipping to 2/28 with 3/04 arrival, now delayed again to 3/13 arrival on 03/20.
    Give actual updates, what's the point of having an order status page - have something actually useful and reliable.
    Change the estimated shipping time for the other ThinkPads on your site. My same model and custom built is suppose to be shipped at the same time that someone else places an order for today - that's just ridiculous!
    I've been extremely patient when you said it would arrive a month after the quoted shipping time. Thank-you for providing me with the *** experience I've ever had with a company. I was suppose to have it shipped by 03/05 at the latest, and you just tried to sneak the last delay past me. Actually deliver on your word and deliver your product! This is beyond ludicrous I'm suppose to have my laptop already!
    Sincerely,
    Christy *********
    Order# *********
    P.S. I apologize to the poor souls who's going to read this.
    E-mail received from Lenovo:
    Dear Christy,
    Thank you for contacting Lenovo, the maker of the products for those who Do
    With regards to your concern, we understand the frustration you have gone thorough and we sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience caused, However we would like to inform you that the order is due to ship on 03/13/2013. It may ship sooner as the given date is an estimated ship date. Once the order ships you will receive a confirmation e-mail and within 3 to 5 business days the order will be delivered. The delay has happened due to unavailability of parts due to a very high demand. However we will definitely ensure that the machine is assembled at the earliest and shipped to you at the earliest. 
    We sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience caused. 
    For further questions or concerns please reply to  this email.  We will be happy  to further assist  you 
    Thank you for choosing  Lenovo.
    Sincerely, 
    Sadiqulla ***
    Lenovo North America
    [email protected]
    Lenovo  support 
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/?menu-id=support&r​ef-id=products
    Order status Online  
    http://ovp.lenovo.com/lenovo-ovp/public/showDetail​!publicStatusIndex.action?orderNumber=
    Lenovo service
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/lenovo-service/def​ault.page?
    Moderator comment: Remark(s) contravening the Community Rules removed - veiled profanity. Private information of Lenovo employee(s) also removed.

I ordered my ultrabook  from Levono because we use (hundreds) of them in our organization and I wanted one for home to also do work related business on. When I ordered it, I was told by the salesperson that I would recieve it soon because I live a few miles from the US headquarters and not far from the NC warehouse. I then got an Email that contradicted what I was told;  my machine would be delivered 6 weeks later; shipped from China.  I ordered this unit because I am aware of Levono's reputation for quality and impressed by how soon they became big player in the USA laptop market.  Ir Levono wants to stay competative; they absolutely have to deliver, and deliver sooner. In today's world, people and businesses depend on laptops, and when they need them, need them right away. I would be happy to get this sooner, and much more likely to advertise Levono, and buy from them again, if I did.

• MSATA or 2.5" SSD for Lenovo Thinkpad s230u Twist?

The Subject sort of explains itself, however I will add some more infromation for convenience sake:
    Generally speaking I think of myself as fairly knowlageble about computers and their hardware. When it comes to laptops however I'm not so knowlagable, thus I would like to get a professional oppinion on the subject of SSD for laptops.
    So I'm thinking of getting a Crucial m500 SSD (I'm so happy with my older m4 that I have full confidence in it's stability and speed) with 240GB of storage space, it comes in both mSATA and in the regular 2.5" x 7mm format. Thus I ask wheter or not to choose 2.5" or mSATA for my Thinkpad s230u Twist. It already has a 500Gb  Hitachi harddrive provided originaly by Lenovo, thus if I choose the mSATA I would be able to have a total of 740Gb of fast and reliable storage.
    What are your oppinions on such an installation? should I just go for mSATA or choose the regular 2.5" format?
    Rainmaker91
    P.S: I should probably just inform that Lenovos solutions is not an option due to it's extreme price and the drives beeing outdated. Also I don't need the Lenovo warranty and support due to the "Warranty" provided by law in my country.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I have replaced my 500GB HD with a 2.5" Samsung 830 series, 128 GB SSD. After researching the benefits of both the "Main Drive" socket and the mSATA socket, I learned that in virtually ALL Laptops, the mSATA socket is limited to only mSATA II speeds, ie. 3 GB/sec, while the Main Drive socket can handle the 6 GB/sec characteristic of the SATA III properties. This higher speed is, after all, why one would go to the trouble of replacing the Drive to begin with. I did also put a 120 GB mSATA SSD in my WWAN socket (I have an Edge 530), where I store most of my new programs for easy, fast retrieval...So, I would definitely go with the 2.5" SSD.....fruhlpmd.....

• Touch screen for Lenovo thinkpad 10

I have broken the glass of screen.And now it is impossible to find this spare part (00HW275, 00HW277, 00HW278, 00HW361, 00HW363)Where i can buy this part in Europe, USA or Chine? 

Directly from Lenovo. Related dicsussion https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/lenovo-thinkpad-10-20c1-cracked-lcd/m-p/2032193

• 27 inch iMac as an external display for Lenovo X1 Carbon

I have a new iMac at home and a new Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop for work.  I want to use the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock that was provided with my laptop to connect to my iMac so I can use the bigger display while working at home.  Is this possible and if so what extra hardware or software do I need?
    Thanks.

Hello, I don't think you can directly.
    Mid 2011s & up need Thunderbolt!???
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775
    Might try ScreenRecycler...
    http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

• Use external display for movies only

Hi,
    I have a 22" external display which I like to use for watching DVDs only. Mirroring is not an option for me as this limits the display to a lower resolution. How can I configure my Mac so that whenever I insert a DVD (or start FrontRow) this will come up on the external display and all the rest remains on the internal display?
    When I put my MacBook to sleep and wake it up with my remote it works. However the internal display remains switched off and as the external diisplay is not right beside my Mac it makes me kind of blind.
    Any ideas?
    THANKS

hey there KinoViel,
    the 1st time i put a DVD into my iMac i moved the DVD player window from it to my TV. since it is a mostly "permanent" connection every time i put in a DVD & select that input on my TV to watch it, that is where the DVD window shows up(on my TV). the Apple Remote only works w/ the Mac so you can just aim the remote @ the MacBook to use Front Row. my iMac lives next to my seating position so i don't know the keyboard commands for Front Row.... sorry. try a search for Front Row keyboard shortcuts. & i think there's a list of keyboard shortcuts in Finder Help.
    when i was using my MacBook w/ my big TV because it was taken in & out of my entertainment system, i had to go through the previously outlined steps every time because the Mac had to find & ID the TV. sometimes i use my MacBook w/ my BR TV & when i connect it, i have to do the steps for the Mac to find & ID the TV.
    don't be aplogize for having a PC @ work lots of folks do, be thankful/happy you can come home to the joy your Mac brings you. i'm fortunate that i am self-employed & my Macs do double duty 'cause i do some work @ home, so they're for work & play.
    good luck.

• Imac model A1207 used as display by connecting it to my MacBook Pro?

Can i use an imac model A1207 as display by connecting it to my MacBook Pro? If so, with which cable?

Yes, by using a product such as ScreenRecycler over a network.
    (90292)

Maybe you are looking for

• MacBook Pro /w Retina display "Battery Life Cycle"

Can the battery be changed when it reaches the end-of-life on the new MacBook Pro with Retina display? Will Apple replace the battery or the entire computer?

• UOM in 11i

Discrete Manufacturer going up in 11i in a multi-org environment. Require some creative thinking that I have been unable to come up with! We have an item X-XXXX that requires one UOM in one org and another UOM in a different org. The tricky part is t

• Creating worker threads in J2EE application deployed in OAS...

Will OAS allow for the creation of worker threads in a J2EE application? I can create a worker thread in my J2EE application that is deployed in OC4J Standalone, I need to verify if the same capabilities exist in OAS. Thank you, Jason

• Process overview diagram- E-Seperation

Above is the screen shot of the process overview diagram for E-Seperation in portal when i click on "process overview" i am getting the above screen shot. please help with the solution!

• Opportunity - Product Forecasting

Hi, Opportunity Product Revenue Details page has Start/Close Date associated, However its not clear why does the start and close dates are specified togeather. Also, how does this affect the Opportunity-Product Forecasting ? Thanks :)