Installing new HDD after Windows XP to Windows 7 upgrade on my T400

A few weeks ago I did a clean install to upgrade my T400 laptop from Windows XP to Windows 7 Professional, using the upgrade version of Windows 7 (vs. the complete new installation version - saved about $100.00).
Now I want to upgrade my HDD from 250GB to 500GB. I purchased the HDD from Lenovo, expecting the drive to come with some guidance for the upgrade other than how to physically replace the drive. Unfortunately, no such help found.
I have researched this and I think I have a few options. I could 1) clone my current hard drive or 2) do a clean reinstall on the new drive.
While looking over Microsoft's knowledge base I came a cross an article that said that I couldn't use the Windows 7 upgrade disk on a new hard drive. The article said I would first have to recover the original Windows XP OS onto my laptop, and then use the upgrade disk. Is that right? Do I really have to start over (upgrading to Windows 7 was a bear)?
If I clone my hard drive (I have the necessary hardware & software) will the upgraded Windows 7 be operable on the new hard drive?
I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

You should be fine with cloning the drive. Microsoft normally limits the "upgrade" to only installing over an already existing Windows or a drive with Windows on it. So yes, it is not going to install on a bare drive for you.
As long as the clone aligns the partition properly, if necessary, then the cloned drive should operate fine. I cloned my initial HDD when upgrading to an SSD. Windows might require you to re-verify the machine because of the hardware change. However, changing only one component is not supposed to trigger the verification process. Once you know that it is working properly, you Windows license probably requires you to delete it from the old drive.
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.

Similar Messages

• Why can't I install newer version of iTunes on my Windows Vista Home Premium?

Hi!
    Why can't I install newer version of iTunes on my Windows Vista Home Premium?
    I states that I am missing essential files in order to install. It doesn't say which ones.
    Tried to uninstall the old iTunes so now I'm caught without iTunes.
    Any thoughts?
    /tjolmes

Hey gallaleo3,
    I would run through the recommended troubleshooting steps in the following article:
    Issues installing iTunes or QuickTime for Windows
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926
    Best,
    Delgadoh

• Clean install vs. time machine recovery after installing new HDD

Hello All,
    I have got actually two questions, but I think I only can do one issue at the time. Anyway: Here are my specs and question:
    1. I have got a 2010 MacBook Pro with a 320 Gb HDD which seems to be on its way to lala land (crashes almost once every quarter year)
    2. I have backed up my Mac with TimeMachine to uptodate
    3. I have created a boot disk and purchased a new 1 Tb HDD to be installed
    4. I plan to install new HDD in a bit
    So here is the question:
    Shall I make a clean install of Mavericks (and if so, how do I get all my e-mail and other data onto the new HDD), or should I just go with the latest TimeMachine update?
    (Also: If I partitioned the HDD and designate one only for apps and the other only for data, how would I do that?)
    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. ... thanks, theo

Thank you for your swift responce and help
    So this solution would remove the "clutter" and restore performace?

• Dv6000, installed new HDD, used recovery disk DVD, computer keeps restarting on it's own

HP dv6402ca
    Installed new HDD - WD Scorpio Blue 500G
    I ordered the recovery disk DVD from Computer Surgeons.
    I installed the recovery in drive bay and restarted as per instructions. Everything went fine and when it started windows for the first time that went ok as well, it kept restarting like it said it would to install all software. Now, with everything installed it is still restarting on it's own. I let it go on overnight as I thought this might be normal, but when I got up 5 hours later it was still restarting.
    I don't what else to do, please help.
    Andrew

Hi, Andrew:
    Sometimes it takes a while. You may want to abort the installation and try again.
    You may also want to use this workaround if you can't get the recovery disks to work.
    If you can read your 25 character MS product key, you can make your own Windows Vista installation disk. Just download the 3 files you need at the link below, and read all of the instructions to create a bootable DVD installation disk using imageburn.
    When I went to compile the ISO file, ImageBurn gave a message that about a WIM file and ISO, and if I wanted to burn it in a different format.
    I selected No, make the ISO file.
    It was not that hard to do. I burned both the 64 bit disk and the 32 bit disk in case I ever need them.
    I tested both of them (just short of going ahead with the actual install) and they appeared to work perfectly.
    Apparently when you enter the product key, it knows what version of Vista you have.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/softwa​re-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vi​...
    After you successfully install vista, you can download the drivers you need from your PC's support and driver page.
    Paul

• Installing new HDD into an iMac G5 with SATA

Installing new HDD into an iMac G5 with SATA and would like to know how to migrate the old system over to the new drive. Can I use a USB2 external drive, move all the old data, then select the new system as the boot system?

lwolfcc-
    Yes.
    But you might do better with a program like SuperDuper, as it will be sure to copy any hidden files as well.
    Luck-
    -DaddyPaycheck

• After installing new HDD, some iPhoto Events/Photos won't display

Problem: I upgraded to 1TB HDD a couple of days ago and tried to use the System Restore from Backup under Disk Utility. It never worked, got to a blue screen and just hung. So I reloaded Snow Leopard and then used Setup Assistant to move Apps/Files/Settings from my Time Machine Backup.
    Today I was going through files to see if anything was missing and found a number of Events from 2010 that wouldn't display in iPhoto '08, just dark squares but with the event name underneath.
    Rolling the mouse over the empty square displayed the correct number of photos for the event but photos wouldn't display.
    Next I "Browsed" the Time Machine Backup (from iPhoto) and the same Events were also empty on Time Machine Backups.
    The funny thing is the empty events are scattered meaning I have a full Events from Feb and March 2010 but empty events from Jan, Feb and May 2010. And then when I go into the Empty Events on Time Machine, I can call up the photo number but the photo won't display.
    Is there a way to recover these photos? I'm pretty sure there on the TM backup and also on my new HDD.
    As a "suspenders/belt" type person, I have the photos backed up on a Windows PC but rather work through this problem first.
    iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.4) AEBSn AXg

You can enter TM while in iPhoto and do a search for some of the missing photos by file name. When you find a version that appears to have them in exit TM, go to your Pictures folder, reenter TM, go to that version and restore the entire library. I'd keep both your current library and the restored. Then you can check to see if the missing photos are in the restored library.
    If neither library have all of the photos but do combined you can use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to merge the two libraries into a new 3rd library setting the option to not import duplicates. That should get you a complete library.
    OT
    TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier versions) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
    I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. There are versions that are compatible with iPhoto 5, 6, 7 and 8 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.
    NOTE: The new rebuild option in iPhoto 09 (v. 8.0.2), Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" makes this tip obsolete.

• I have installed new HDD in macbook pro model mid 2010 , my laptop restarts after sometime, why ?

i have purchased a laptop from friend , its MACBOOK PRO core i5 2.53(520M) , 500 GB , 4 gb , model mid 2010 , he took the hDD and i installed the new one made by toshiba sata HDD 2.5inches , the problem is laptop restarts after some time and to varify i have installed the HDD in another macbook pro and it reacts the same , please help .

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.
    Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:
    ☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)
    ☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.
    ☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.
    Select the most recent panic report (with a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic") under the heading System Diagnostic Reports on the left. If you don't see that heading, select  
    View ▹ Show Log List
    from the menu bar. Post the entire contents of the report — the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header and body of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.) Please don't post any other kind of diagnostic report, such as a hang report.

• Windows could not search for new updates after applied June 2014 Windows Updates - Error code 80244004

After applied June 2014 Windows Updates from Microsoft (Not using WSUS server to obtain WU), our Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 now getting this error message when we perform the "Check for Updates":
    Windows could not search for new updates.  Error code 80244004. 
    Richard

Hi Richard,
    Just addition, please refer to following KB to reset Windows Update components and monitor the result.
    How do I reset Windows Update components?
    If didn’t use ESET security software, please also refer to following thread and check if can help you.
    Latest
    version of Windows Update causing error 80244004
    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Justin Gu

• Installing new hdd in lenovo u310

Hye guys.. recently, my hdd in lenovo u310 is broken and bought a new hdd (Western Digital) .. after installing this hdd into my lenovo, i want to put the windows 7 and other drivers but unfortunately, i dont have the cd driver.. and my alternative is to create the driver using usb.. Is this step can be done?Does anyone know how to create the lenovo driver using usb in proper way?Please help me.. really appreciate your help

Yes, you can buy Snow Leopard, however, that's just the operating system, and does not include the iLife applications that come with the system (you could buy iLife separately too).  If your MacBook meets Lion requirements, you could go there too.
    Lion Requirements:
    Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
    2GB of memory (4GB recommended)
    OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
    7GB of available space

• Installed new hdd in MacBook Air 2008, question folder and forbidden sign in screen, what to do?

Hello
    I installed new hard drive to my MacBook Air 2008 and when I try to install lion/snow leopard/ mavericks it won't show up the disk. I can't find the hard drive.
    I don't now what to do. I tried everything. I spoke with a guy in macsupport here in Sweden and he said I have to buy snow leopard and install it from the original dvd in order for computer to format. My computer is old like I said its from 2008. I've never update it or upgrade. This is first time. It laid in storage for three years so I decide it to use it again but hdd was damaged so I had to change it, and now all I get is flashing question folder and forbidden sign, you know the sign for auto traffic.
    Is it true that the only way to restore or to find the new hdd or to boot the question mark and forbidden sign marks by installing osx from its original dvd or buy snow leopard?
    After I spoke with the guy from Mac support, I got little suspicious so I spoke to another one and he told me all I need to do is format hdd with the help of a sata hdd cable with help of another macbook and then I was good to go.
    What do u think?
    Should I buy snow leopard or can I burn it from my sister computer?

I first would try Target Disk Mode to format and install an OSX on the new storage drive.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661
    You will need a OSX source that is compatible with the MBA.  If you have the original, use that.
    Ciao.

• Installing new hdd on dv7

So I am about to install a new hdd into my dv7, but remove battery,cover, then says to slide drive with pull tap on drive, but doesn't seem to move any direction. I have never replaced a drive on my laptop before and do not want to damage anything. But what am I missing please help.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Kenny sent me a personal massage with his problem on how to remove the hard drive, so this was my answer to him. Ultimately the problem was that the tab that was to be pulled on to remove the drive was tucked underneath, so there was nothing to pull on. For someone who has never removed a hard drive, this would not be an obvious thing to figure out.
     There are a whole bunch of pictures that I sent him that I thought me be very useful here. The photos are of a dv8.
    It should be just sitting in there. Do you have a digital camera. If you do I will help you with the steps to upload some pictures so I can see what is going on. What is your model number again. You can also use a small screw driver to gently pry up on the blue mounting seats.
      Here I am grasping on the small pull pull tab to unplug the connection from the mother board. This connection is snapped in there quite well and requires a firm and gentle pull.
      This shows the drive plug disconnected from the mother board.

• Installed new hdd in 3 bay of my mac pro

when this new hdd is running it makes my whole mac pro hum real loud any way to quiet it down

kyrunner,
    I agree with Mike on this. Seat the new cage several times to be sure it is in all the way. My original drive causes this issue, so if it is a Seagate, it may do it all the time, even if it is installed correctly. Also, try moving the Mac Pro around on the surface it is on, may stop it. The hum appears to come from the side door up against the hard drive cage.
    Michael

• Can I use applications installed on HDD after booting from new SSD?

Hi!  I am a little uninformed and require some MacKnowledge.
    Relevant hard/software:
    MacBook Pro 17" early '11.  Lots of RAM.  Slow but large HDD (5400rpm, 750Gb, I think.)
    OS 10.7.4
    128 Wintec Expresscard SSD.
    I recently aquired a 128Gb ExpressCard34 SSD and installed 10.7.4 on it just to see how it "felt." 
    Wow*.
    Now I want to boot on that drive exclusively, but have no idea the best way to migrate over my applications.
    I could reinstall all applications fresh (as a 20yr PC vet, this is my natural inclination,) but I have a gut sense this is not needed. 
    I havent tried it yet, but I am willing to bet that most programs for mac will just start if you click on them.  Again, need some knowledge and I dont know whwere to get it.
    I really want to run migration assistant so I can just port over all my odd settings; however, I have no idea what control I will have over the actual import.
    I actually dont want to physically move any programs just yet.  In fact, I want to use most of my non-Apple, personally-installel applications from the HDD.  The only program that might be VERY useful to migrate to the SSD would be parallels and the windows VM I keep for VPN and PC-only programs as it is very slow.  MAYBE MSoffice as those programs are slow to start up. Also, maybe aperature if it needs to be installed on the ssd to have it's swapfile on that drive.  On second thought, that is fine where it is. 
    I am willing to just get in there and try it out, but I dont want to screw up my HDD install.  I would like the separate OS instances to play nice with each other and I am not sure that will happen if i start calling applications from either one (though, obviously, not at the same time.) 
    So where could I discover what my bounderies are with this situation?  Any "best practices?"
    *I do want to keep the discussion off the topic of use of expresscard ssd for boot drives, but I felt I should comment further.  They have thier pros and cons.  I would not be surprised if my new drive fails (also not surprised if it lasts 10xexpected RW cycles.) Nevertheless, the speed is just absolutely amazing.  Night and day difference on the "feel" of boot and program load.  You can look up the benchmarks if you are inclined.

Thank you for the fast response. 
    Regarding use of the applications, is it your opinion that simply opening most applications by double-clicking should be sufficient to use them with their current settings. i.e., internal references to ~library/application support/relevant program.plist?
    If so, is this universally true, i.e., any and all programs will work?
    Regarding migrating settings, are you saying that I can import all my settings WITHOUT importing the programs?
    Sorry for my being dense, and supplying a wall of text in the OP.

• Problems after installing new HDD into Satellite M70-151

I have a Satellite M70-151 the hard drive gave up and was unreadable, prior to this I was using with my Desktop via a router it worked great. I had no option but to install a new Hard Drive now in the System Manager I get Yellow question marks against:
    Other Devices:
    ? Mass Storage Controller
    ? Network Controller
    ? PCI Modem
    ? Video Controller (VGA compatable)
    I have searched and searched but cannot find any drivers for these 4 things
    I have sound but only faint, I no longer have a wireless capability Yes I have tried to install the correct (as advised from Toshiba) Lan Driver [LInk to driver|http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_driver_details.jsp?ID=58122&OSID=10&drive rLanguage=42&selectedLanguage=13&driverCountry=41& selectedCountry=8]
    When I try to install it says "The device may not be present or could have been ejected/unplugged from the system.
    Insert or Reinsert now"
    I know I am being thick but I was under the impression that the Lan was built into the Notebook? :_|
    I would be sincerely grateful for any advice from my Peers. :)
    Stuart

Hello Stuart
    To be honest I really do not know what you do exactly. After HDD exchange, for me, the first step you should do is to make clean OS using delivered recovery media. It is fastest and best way to have fresh installed OS.
    So, if you do not have this recovery media you must use original Microsoft installations CD. all drivers, tools and utilities for this notebook model you can find and download from Toshiba support page under http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Downloads.
    Before you start drivers installation, please download and check Installations Instructions document. Please follow the installations order. It is very important and following this installations order you will be able to install all Toshiba stuff properly.

• Wifi connection problem after installing new HDD

I have just replaced the hdd in my pavilion dv6-3032tx and for some reason I am now having trouble connecting to my home wifi internet connection. Unless i have the laptop right next to the router the computer is unable to connect. Any suggestions?

Hi mykey651,
    Thank you for your query, I will do my utmost to assist you.
    I grasp you have installed a SSD drive as the main drive and the original drive as a secondary. All works well until you reboot and then it is unable to locate the SSD.
    Here is a link to HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives Identifying, Preventing, Diagnosing and Recovering from...
    If that has not helped, I suggest you go out to the bios and restore the defaults.  This will reset the system and make it scan for  installed hardware.  This should help it to find the new SSD as the boot drive.
    Here are two more documents that may be of help.
    About Solid State Hard Drives
    How to Install an SSD (Solid State Drive
    Hope this helps and have a great weekend.
    Sparkles1
    I work on behalf of HP
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Maybe you are looking for