Installing RAC in Solaris 10 T2000

How can I create a shared file system using a Oracle cluster or a Sun Cluster software, the hard drive are locally in the T2000 server and I created 2 domains using the ldm.
ldm list
NAME STATE FLAGS CONS VCPU MEMORY UTIL UPTIME
primary active -n-cv- SP 4 1G 1.1% 73d 23h 12m
racdomain1 active -n---- 5000 9 3000M 0.0% 9m
racdomain2 active -n---- 5001 9 3000M 0.0% 9m
Can you send details how can I create the raw devices and data files file system ?

mrosa001 wrote:
I have some more questions:
How can I have the raw device shared by 2 servers?Yes - if the device/LUN is shared between cluster nodes. In other words, each cluster node need to see the same device. Once that is done, you can simply partition the device (if needed) and turn that into a raw device.
You will however need to configure the raw device entries (a file called +/etc/sysconfig/rawdevices+ on Linux) on each node.
Remember that you need 5 raw devices typically - 2 for the OCR and 3 for the Voting Disks.
Not sure about Solaris, but raw devices have been deprecated on the Linux 2.6 kernel as block devices can now be opened using direct I/O. Oracle recommends not using raw devices on Linux anymore. Not sure if this applies to Solaris. If it does, then 10g CRS Installer have a bug that prevents it from using block devices - forcing you to use raw devices (and then change it back to block devices after CRS has been installed). Or, you may find it easier to install 11g CRS instead and run 10g RAC on it (a certified Oracle combination).
Do I have to install ASM before the Oracle Clusterware SW?No. You install CRS first. Once that is installed correctly and successfully, then install RAC. I prefer installing RAC without checking any "+create db+" options.
Once RAC has been successfully installed, use dbca to create the ASM instances. Once that is done, create the the RAC database and instances.

Similar Messages

• 2 node RAC on solaris

Hello all,
    can you point me to some cookbook for instalation of
    11g 2node RAC on Solaris with ASM ?
    Also, can I use raw disks for ASM or i must first configure some filesystem , zfs for example, and then on top of that place asm ?

dbca doesnt allow the use of raw devices on oracle 11gr2. its good to have asm. if you decide to use the shared file systems oracle supports nas,san das etc please read the documentation..
    there are lot of materials on the internet that can help you install rac on solaris.. if you are insstalling on a production system then its better to see the relevant docs in the metalink...

• Need 11gr2 RAC install Guide on Solaris 10 x86 using containers and NFS

I'm looking for an 11gr2 RAC install Guide on Solaris 10 x86 using 2-3 containers. I need to have the NFS server reside in the global zone or on a 3rd container visable to the two rac containers.
    Please share me installation guide!
    Thank you!
    PS - I currently have run into an install issue -
    Can't change ownership on /oracle/products/11.2.0/ocr/: not owner at /oracle/app/11.2.0/grid/crs/install/crsconfig_lib.pm line 5014.
    I suspect the NFS share params from the NFS server in the global zone are not 100% correct to the two rac zones/containers.

Have you visited Oracle Support Services website (formerly metalink) to determine if your desired configuration is supported?
    Last time I looked it was not.
    That said Oracle database installation guides are fully documented online.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/documentation/database-093888.html

• Install Oracle 11g RAC on Solaris 10

Hello,
    I'm new joined DBA in my organization.
    There is a requirement from a client to install Oracle 11g RAC on Solaris 10 env.
    Can anybody please guide me with some doc or pdf for the steps.
    Till now, i've install Oracle 11g DB on Solaris, but i'm pretty new to RAC env.
    Note:
    I've to do installation via commands, No GUI.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards,
    Gags

Hi,
    Q) Can Oracle 11g Release 2 RAC be installed on Solaris (x86)??yes, you can Install it on Solaris X86
    Q) Can the links of Oracle RAC installation over Unix and Linux be taken as base?? As i haven't seen any doc for installing 11g RAC on Solaris, where as it was provided in Oracle 10g.yes, you need to consider Oracle RAC installation over Unix and Linux be taken as base as base document.
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e17214/toc.htm
    In addition Refer:
    http://www.oraclemasters.in/?p=963
    thanks,
    X A H E E R

• De-installing 10g RAC on Solaris 10

Hi,
    Does anyone knows how to manually de-installing 10g rac on solairs 10?
    I did not following the correct steps to de-install RAC from the RAC installation Guide.
    I need to reuse this host for non-rac 10gr2 on different ORACLE_HOME.
    ./localconfig reset $ORACLE_HOME
    Oracle CSS service would not start as installed
    Automatic Storage Management(ASM) cannot be used until Oracle CSS service is started
    cat ./log/wchost/alertwchost.log
    [client(9029)]CRS-1006:The OCR location /oracle/product/10.2.0/cdata/localhost/local.ocr is inaccessible. Details in /oracle/product/10.2.0/log/wchost/client/clscfg_9029.log.
    Thanks!
    R

Metalink Note 239998.1 tells you how to tidy things up after installation and deinstallation problems

• INSTALL PROBLEM 2 NODES RAC ON SOLARIS ZONES SINGLE HOST

Hi,
    Does anybody tried to install rac using two zones located on the same physical machines as rac nodes?
    I got problem after installation when it adds deamons to inittab and tries to start crs stack.
    Even the css didn't come up.
    It seems that voting disk where formatted correctly
    alerttest-zone.log:
    [client(20136)]CRS-1006:The OCR location /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 is inaccessible. Details in /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs_1/log/test-zone/client/ocrconfig_20136.log.
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.587
    [client(20136)]CRS-1006:The OCR location /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 is inaccessible. Details in /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs_1/log/test-zone/client/ocrconfig_20136.log.
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.636
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.936
    [client(20136)]CRS-1001:The OCR was formatted using version 2.
    2009-11-19 10:44:22.023
    [client(20190)]CRS-1801:Cluster crs configured with nodes test-zone test-zone2 .
    OCR config also created correctly :
    ocrconfig_20136.log:
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.685: [  OCROSD][1]utsz:3: ioctl DKIOCGAPART failed. errno [48]
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.686: [  OCRRAW][1]propriogid:1: INVALID FORMAT
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.785: [  OCRRAW][1]propriowv: Vote information on disk 0 [dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0] is adjusted from [0/0] to [2/2]
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.936: [  OCRRAW][1]propriniconfig:No 92 configuration
    2009-11-19 10:41:14.936: [  OCRAPI][1]a_init:6a: Backend init successful
    2009-11-19 10:41:15.709: [ OCRCONF][1]Initialized DATABASE keys in OCR
    2009-11-19 10:41:16.019: [ OCRCONF][1]Successfully set skgfr block 0
    2009-11-19 10:41:16.022: [ OCRCONF][1]Exiting [status=success]...
    But it just can't run starting from css services:
    css.log:
    2009-11-19 10:54:39.297: [  OCROSD][1]utsz:3: ioctl DKIOCGAPART failed. errno [48]
    2009-11-19 10:54:39.337: [ CSSCLNT][1]clsssInitNative: connect failed, rc 9
    2009-11-19 10:54:40.401: [  OCROSD][1]utsz:3: ioctl DKIOCGAPART failed. errno [48]
    2009-11-19 10:54:40.440: [ CSSCLNT][1]clsssInitNative: connect failed, rc 9
    Does anyone has any idea???
    Best Regards
    Radek

I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a warning. Do not stop any RAC processes. All RAC processes are essential to the successful operation of RAC. If you stop one of these processes then it is likely that either the instance on that node will fail and crash, or communication with the other node will be lost for a period of time. If this were to happen that the other node which was still running and unchanged would assume the other node had failed and perform a failover operation, recovering inflight transactions in the redo logs of the other instance.
    All of this takes time, will impact performance, and will possibly kill off half of your sessions that were on the node you made the changes to. Recovery from one node to another takes time, and will mean that the remaining node will force the other node to shutdown, one way or another. It will use some of the underlying Clusterware capabilities to achieve this.
    So, please do not just stop a RAC process, just because you want to backup some files in a file system. Do not touch the RAC processes at all. They are only meant to be controlled through RAC specific commands and tools such as Enterprise Manager.
    John

• 10g R2 RAC on Solaris 10 error when running root.sh

hi, I am installing Oracle 10g rac on Solaris 10 with two nodes. In the end of the installation of RAC when a run root.sh I get the error bellow.
    # /opt/crs/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs/root.sh
    Checking to see if Oracle CRS stack is already configured
    Setting the permissions on OCR backup directory
    Setting up NS directories
    Failed to upgrade Oracle Cluster Registry configuration

I have done this install using a pair of T2000's and a 65XX SAN. The install doco is not straight forward. I had to compile a number of Metalink notes to eventually get the disk partitions sorted. Of particular help was Note:271621.1.
    Since I am not a Solaris admin, the next bit is caveated as "This is how I did it" and maybe not how anyone else would have done it. These things were not explicitly noted, but gleaned through a bit of reading:
    1) you need to throw away the first cylinder of each LUN. I did this by creating the first partition as a single cylinder.
    2)then create s4 (or whichever slice you desire) as the rest of the space allocated to that LUN.
    3) Repeat this for each LUN presented
    4) I created a directory /san under which I then created the character mode (raw) interface for each of ocr, vote.
    5) For asm, and for no other reason than being self documenting, I created /san/asm and created character mode interfaces to each of the LUN's for datadg and fradg
    6) repeat steps 1-5 on the other box
    I took quite some time (2 days) to extract all this and assemble it to a working system. But has always been stable.
    Regards,
    Kevin Crowley
    Principal Consultant
    Pacific DBMS P/L

• 10gR2 RAC on Solaris 10

Hi,
    I am looking for "step by step install & configure" guide to setup 10gr2 RAC on Solaris 10.
    I got the following Doc "ID: Note:317257.1" from metalink. Looks like I need to configure Solaris 10 containers and Solaris Zones for 10g RAC.
    Is there another way to setup 10gr2 RAC on Solaris 10 without using the Solaris 10 containers just like (Solaris 9 or plain OS)?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    R-

Thanks for all your inputs. I finally got 10g RAC installed and running.
    I learned that there is no way to install Oracle software and configure ASM during installation. I had to install “Software Only” then configure ASM at the later time, then that will work.
    Good luck to you all.
    :-)R

• How to configure ASM of 11gR2 RAC on Solaris 10

Hi all,
    I have the first time to install the RAC on Solaris 10. I have stuck on the ASM disk group step in the Grid Infrastructure.
    Our Configuration
    2 Sun Server in Solaris 10 with same configure (which we are not using shared drive)
    250GB Local Hard Disk
    1100 GB Raw Disk (which at SAN)
    3GB x 3 Raw Disk (which at SAN) for voting disk
    When I install Grid Infrastructure, I select first option: Install and Confgure Grid in Cluster (I can't remember the exact name) and also select the Typical Installation. The previous steps are successful before the ASM Disk Group. At ASM Disk Group, no disk are display for selection.
    So, how to fix the missing disk in this ASM Disk Group creation?
    Please help!
    Sunny Yip

952832 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I have the first time to install the RAC on Solaris 10. I have stuck on the ASM disk group step in the Grid Infrastructure.
    Our Configuration
    2 Sun Server in Solaris 10 with same configure (which we are not using shared drive)
    250GB Local Hard Disk
    1100 GB Raw Disk (which at SAN)
    3GB x 3 Raw Disk (which at SAN) for voting disk separate voting disks in 11gR2 are not necessary.
    I would break the 1100G into 11@100G devices and use EXTERNAL redundancy (RAID on the SAN side). You will get much better performance. (Configured/managed a 250TB 3node cluster on Sun 6900s however my LUNs were 1.5TB in size)
    >
    When I install Grid Infrastructure, I select first option: Install and Confgure Grid in Cluster (I can't remember the exact name) and also select the Typical Installation. The previous steps are successful before the ASM Disk Group. At ASM Disk Group, no disk are display for selection.
    So, how to fix the missing disk in this ASM Disk Group creation?
    Please help!
    Sunny YipAgain using a single 1.1TB device will not get you better performance and should you need to add additional devices, they too will need to be 1.1TB. Sometimes smaller is better.
    Make sure you use a partition that starts at cylinder 1 or 2
    Make sure you set the correct permissions (660) and ownership (gridowner:oinstall) on those devices and make sure the oracle user is a member of that group.

• 10g RAC on SOLARIS 10

Hi,
    What is the best CLUSTER I can use for my 10g RAC on SOLARIS 10.
    Regards
    MMU

I am going to install Oracle 10g RAC (standard Edition) on Solaris 10 (sparc 64bit).I am using Oracle Clustware only.I need step by step document for this installation.I have gone through Oracle documents and many others.I have failed many times in this installation so I need some good document.
    Plz tell me what directories I need to create and permission for this directories.
    I am creating these directories before starting CRS installation.
    mkdir -p /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs
    chown -R root:oinstall /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs
    chmod -R 775 /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs
    mkdir -p /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
    chown -R root:oinstall /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
    chmod -R 775 /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
    mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin
    chown -R root:oinstall /opt/oracle/admin
    chmod -R 775 /opt/oracle/admin
    mkdir -p /var/tmp/.oracle
    mkdir -p /tmp/.oracle
    mkdir -p /var/opt/oracle
    chown -R oracle:oinstall /var/tmp/.oracle
    chown -R oracle:oinstall /tmp/.oracle
    chown -R oracle:oinstall /var/opt/oracle

• Oracle Database 11gr2 rac on solaris 10 using ACFS and asm as storage

Can i get any step by step document to install 11gr2 rac on solaris 10.
    My database is two node rac. I am using ASM as storage. So i need a document which should very easy to understand.
    thanks in advance

Hi,
    Can i get any step by step document to install 11gr2 rac on solaris 10.
    My database is two node rac. I am using ASM as storage. So i need a document which should very easy to understand.Refer below link:
    http://www.oraclemasters.in/?p=961
    Configure storage as per your requirement.
    thanks,
    X A H E E R

• Has anybody tried to install RAC on Zones as nodes ?

Hi guys,
    Could anyone share his experiences about installing Oracle RAC
    on Solaris zones located on single physical machine ?
    I created 2 sparse root zones , presented the same raw devices for ocr and votedisk to them and try to install clusterware,
    but during clusterware initialization there is an error
    OCROSD[1]utsz:3: ioctl DKIOCGAPART failed. errno 48
    Does anybody tried similar configuration ?

I have not tried this since it is explicitly unsupported by oracle.
    Bjoern

• Oracle RAC on solaris Cluster - advantages

Hi,
    I wonder what are the advantages of installing Oracle Rac on solaris Cluster.
    Oracle Rac is a cluster solution by itself and puting it to solaris Cluster will complicate a whole system a lot.
    One advantage I know iis that solaris cluster will secure a voting disks but those could be also secure by using NFS.
    Please give me your opinion if its worth in general to iinstall RAC 11g in solaris cluster 3.2.
    How do you think, will Oracle extend the solaris cluster solution for databases in the future ?
    Many thanks in advance.

CRS is built to manage RAC. Using any other cluster software for RAC will complicate the solution without adding benefit.
    But if you are building a cluster to run application servers etc, then it would be better to use a more flexible cluster solution. (e.g NOT crs)

• How to install Dual OS(solaris 10 and Windows XP)?

I have got a 80 gb sata hard disk and i am not able to install Dual OS(solaris and Windows XP ) on it.My Partitions are as follows:
    Primary partition-5GB
    Remaining are extended Partition.
    Extended partition details
    8 gb NTFS partition(installed windows XP)
    7 gb NTFS partiton(No data in it)
    20 gb NTFS partition(No data in it)
    20 gb NTFS partiton(has data in it)
    15 gb RAW partiton
    I first installed Windows xp on 8 gb Extended partiton.Then when i installed Solaris i could see only 2 partitons.One with the 5 gb and the other with the 71 gb.I actually wanted to install my solaris on the 15 gb Raw partition.Since i could not see the partition(15 gb Raw) i installed solaris on the 5 gb partition.Now when the comp boots it goes to solairs os only.i dont have the option to choose windows at all.
    could any one of you explain me how the partitions are supposed to be and how could i make it as a Dual OS.
    Saravanan
    Message was edited by:
    SaravananMandala

Windows uses the primary partiton for boot, too, even if you installed it on the NTFS volume in the extended partition. Wherever you install Windows, it will need the primary partition for booting. You can never boot from Windows extended partitions
    As for the 15Gb raw partition, it look like what you call 'RAW partition' is actually just a small little part inside the extended partition. All your NTFS partitions (and your RAW partiton) are logical volumes and they all reside inside the extended partition. Even though Windows sees them as separate drives, each with its own drive letter, just as it sees the primary partition.
    You may try do use Windows fdisk or diskpart to delete the last logical volume in the extended partition, and then get the ntfs resize tool from Linux, or the CD1 from the Debian Linux install CDs, which has it included and accessible with a nice user interface, and resize your extended partition.
    I don't know if it works, I only used it to also resize some logical volume inside the partition. ntfs resize tool might not be easy to work with, you will need to read its documentation, but it does resize NTFS partitions (I have seen it).
    If it works, then you will have your 15Gb as unallocated space available for a new partition. Let the Solaris installer create this new partition automatically during install.
    Timothy Madden,
    Romania

• Installing RAC on Linux 9.0

Hi friends,
    I tried to install RAC on two intel based pc with 80gb firewire drive on Linux 9.0.
    But, I could not succeed. I was wondering if someone please tell me that it is possible to install it on LINUX 9.0 because I cannot afford Linux AS 2.1.
    I follow oracle documentation, Werner Puschitz Documents, I also follow Rampant press book "Installing RAC..". But no one really helps me as all they are talking about Linux AS 2.1.
    Pleased help me in this. I really appreciate it.
    Thanks and have a good day.
    Bhavin
    thanks.

hi,
    It was solved by reinstalling the Cluster Manager. so please ignore this post.
    Thanks
    Bhavin

Maybe you are looking for