Internet is EXTREMELY slow after computer has been in sleep mode (T61)

Pretty self-explanatory. I did a system restore to factory settings recently and ran the ThinkVantage system restore tool and updated everything. Now, whenever I put my computer to sleep, it fluctuates between going around 3 MB/s 5% of the time and around 0.01 MB/s the other 95% of the time when it's woken up. The only temporary fix is rebooting.

Yes, if the power settings have it such that "sleep mode" is disabled, then you're right; you shouldn't have a problem
I'm more interested in what happens if you explicitly force the system into sleep mode (via Fn+F4) and then wake it up. Do you still have problems with wireless performance? If not, then I'd suggest manually changing the Windows system standby setting to whatever you desire (5 minutes).
Message Edited by rkawakami on 07-20-2009 12:03 AM
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request

Similar Messages

• General failure -the browser fails to perform especially after computer has been left switched on for a while.

After the computer has been switched on for a while and I try to access the internet - it fails to do so and the message I get is : -General Failure - followed up by the specific address/site which it cannot open. This is happening with increasing frequency especially when I try to open email links etc. I then switch off the computer and after a few minutes or even half and hour, i reboot and it then becomes possible to open whatever was not possible before. This is quite irritating however.
    Vlad
    Vlad

Thank you for the suggestion and having tried it with other browsers, I can now confirm that it only happens with FF. I like FF a lot and hate to bother with other browsers but it I have to, I will most reluctantly abandon it.
    By the way, having downloaded 36 of your recommended ADD-ONS, I had to get rid of them(uninstall). They not only cluttered up the start-up page but noticeably slowed down the computer. ( I left about half a dozen). Moreover, what is the point of them unless there is an icon or a button that I can click on for instant access to an ADD_ON. Instead I had to search hard to access the ones that I wanted and even then was unable to engage them. For example, I download clocks and a currency converter but was unable to use them.

• Serial number not valid after computer has been fixed

Please can anyone help - Ive had photoshop elements for 6 months, and last week my laptop went in for repair and has been toally wiped of any information. ive tried to re-install elements but it keeps saying my serial number is invalid... any ideas?

Please see-http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-deactivation-products.html#de activate-problem
    You will need help from Adobe Support to help you deactivate for you and then get you going with fresh installation.
    Thanks
    Andaleeb

• When my MAC has been in sleep mode for a while and you try and get it started again the mouse makes a splotchy movement across the screen and i have to reboot

When my MAC has been asleep for awhile and I move the mouse it makes this digitized blob run across the screen and erases all below it. The only way I have found to get it to quit is restart the computer. Does anyone know what is making it do this?

okay, you know this is for the Mac pro (desktop mac) rather than the MacBook pro, right? That being said, sounds like you have a problem. Turn off your screensaver, if it's on. if it's a hardware problem, eg the GPU, then take it in. If it's software, try running disk Utility and repair permissions. Failing that, get out your original install dvd's, boot up from them, and try "Archive and Install"
    John B

• Getting microphone alive after computer wakes up from sleep mode.

Is it possible to detect when the Flash Player "wakes up" from the computer's sleep mode?  Is there an event that gets dispatched when a computer wakes up in any of the AIR specific classes? I need to reinstantiate a netstream connection and the mic when the computer wakes back up.  Any guidance or pointers to do this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for all your help and time!
    Best,
    Laz

It appears it is a specific update. You could try 2 things:
    1) Verify and install the latest device drivers for your PC from the manufacture's support web site:
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-70443
    2) Install or uninstall one update at a time to narrow it down to specific update (KB number). If you find the offending update check / search the internet for the specific Microsoft KB article and what is intended to fix. It is possible there
    is a newer update that supersedes it.
    J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com
    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

• Playback of video and music slow after unit has been in standby

I recently purchased a 64GB playbook and loaded a few movies in AVI and MP4 format as well as afew albums in MP3 format, When playing the files all works fine until the device is put into standby and then restarted, the video and music playback is running at around a quarter of the speed ond is choppy, even the HD demo plays back at the reduced rate, when the device is switched off and restarted then everything is back to normal until the unit goes into standby again, I have a 16GB device abd this one plays the same files with no problems.
    Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be
    Thanks

any apps running next to the video player ?
    go to the options of the playbook, then About, then Hardware in the dropdown menu. How much "Free memory" do you have while the video is lagging?
    The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

• Internet connection not working after computer wakes up from sleep. OSX Lion

After upgrading to Lion, I noticed that my internet connection doesn't work when I wake my computer from sleep. I have to turn off the WiFi connection, turn it back on and it will work. I guess this is a glitch that will be fixed later on. Just wanted to point it out. I don't know if someone else is having the same problem? I am not very happy with the upgrade to Lion, things seem to be slower, I've had several freezes requiring to reboot. I guess Lion needed a little more twicking before release. Not worth the $29.99 price tag.

I had this problem on SL and on Lion as well, and it occures for WiFi and Ethernet connections.
    In fact the internet connection was not broken as I could ping the destination usin the IP (not DNS name).
    In this case the problem was related to mDNSResponder task which handles all dns queries.
    It was the most frequent problem in my day to day work with SL and now Lion. It was never fixed by any patch from Apple. I tried almost all voodoo including fresh install, all possible config changes - no solution.
    The only version with no problems related to network was 10.5.8. All the other versions had issues of different kind (WiFi instability (lost signal), DNS problems (for wireless and wired connection) sometimes associated with machine sleep and wake up and sometimes with no reason.
    QUESTION: Is your problem independent of the access point / router you connect to.
    I must say networking was (and still is) the weakest part, besides the other OS X weaknesses I experienced during 4 years of OS X usage.
    No problems in the same network with Linux or Windows beeing ran natively on my iMac So hardware is OK.
    Software is of poor quality. Not much more to say in this matter.
    I found a very interesting article dated 1996 about programming which I think is still valid.
    Link to the article: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/06/writestuff.html
    Below the fragment (with some connection to Apple)
    Software is everything. It also s***s.
    "It's like pre-Sumerian civilization," says Brad Cox, who wrote the software for Steve Jobs NeXT computer and is a professor at George Mason University. "The way we build software is in the hunter-gatherer stage."

• External usb disc used for Time Machine backup disconnects when Mac has been into sleep mode

I use a 1Tb External usb disc used for Time Machine backup which works fine, but when the Mac goes into sleep mode & powers back on I get a message stating that you should always eject the Drive before removing.
    Any suggestions on how to get around this problem would be welcome

Look at the root of your hard drive for a folder called Backups.backupdb.
    Or, a sparse bundle disk image for one of mobile computers that might have tried to back up to your Mac.
    If you have those, remove them and try again.

• My final cut is running extremely slow after having for 6 months.  I use external hard drives and save nothing on my computer.  it takes a long time to render now. do you think something is wrong with computer. took it to mac store but they fail to help

my final cut is running extremely slow after having for 6 months.  I use external hard drives and save nothing on my computer.  it takes a long time to render now. do you think something is wrong with computer. took it to mac store but they fail to help me.  I have a 13 inch mac book pro 10.6.8 8gb 2.3 gfz intel core i5

What did Apple tell you about what they did (or did not) find here?
    See if working on the main disk is any faster.
    USB2 is glacial, as I/O interconnects go.  And USB2 disks have been known to fail, or sometimes to drop back to USB1 speeds, too.  FireWire 800 is substantially faster than USB2, but still not as fast as the internal drive connections can provide.
    Put another way, start varying your configuration, and see which configuration changes (still) have the problem, and which don't.

• I have always heard that Macs are less likely to get infected with a virus.  My computer has been running much slower since I installed Maverick.  Just not sure what the problem might be.  Is there a way for me to run a diagnosis?

I have always heard that Macs are less likely to get infected with a virus.  My computer has been running much slower since I installed Maverick.  Just not sure what the problem might be.  Is there a way for me to run a diagnosis?

Some have found relief just by reinstalling, but it is more than likely incompatible third-party applications that slow it down.
    You will have to investigate to see what it is.
    Open Activity Monitor and see if anything is using a lot of CPU% or Memory. If they are, check to see if there is an update for them.
    Another place to look is the Console. See if anything is logging repeating messages with throttling and/or respawn in the All Messages list.
    Sometimes it is not that easy to root out the problems, but if you have anything that purported to clean, protect, optimize, maintain, or flush your system, then that is likely the cause.

• My computer has been going slow,not it is freezing up every time I stop using the mouse

my Imac ,OS X version 10.9.5
    The computer has been very slow, and is now freezing up
    All I can do is shut it down and start up again

Are you using ZoneAlarm for security?
    If so, try disabling the ZoneAlarm extension in Tools > Addons > Extensions and see if that helps.

• My ipod shuffle disappears after I click on the icon in Itunes. I reinstalled Itunes and my computer has been updated. What else can I do?

My ipod shuffle disappears after I click on the icon in Itunes. I reinstalled Itunes and my computer has been updated. What else can I do?

The shuffle icon in iTunes disappears, after you click on the icon in iTunes?  If so, if you do not click on the shuffle icon in iTunes, does it remain there indefinitely?  Are you looking at the shuffle icon in the iTunes sidebar?

• My computer has been seen at Genius bar 6 times for freezing up, reloaded all original settings and even went to the apple shop where they replaced the battery and logic board. Still freezes after I try to reload iTunes stuff and app stuff from apple

my computer has been seen at Genius bar 6 times for freezing up, reloaded all original settings, all of their diagnostics, and they even sent it to the apple shop where they replaced the battery and logic board. Still freezes after I try to reload iTunes stuff and app stuff from apple, especially iPhoto which is seems to refuse to load and then begins freezing up all over again. Anyone else have this problem. Other than this, I have had absolutely no problems with this computer. Now, it's a file of junk.

Hi Ronald ...
    Have you checked lately to see how much free space there is on the disk? Especially since iPhoto freezes at launch ...
    Click your Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > More Info > Storage
    Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space.
    And make sure the OS X software is up to date.
    Click the Apple  top left in your screen.
    From the drop down menu click:   Software Update
    If you have anti virus software installed or are using third party Mac cleaning utiliites, that may be part and parcel of the your problems.

• After downloading the new Os X Yosemite my computer has been lagging, how can I fix this?

After downloading the new OS X Yosemite my computer has been lagging, how can I fix this?

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:
    ☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)
    ☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.
    ☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.
    The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select
              SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages
    from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select
              View ▹ Show Log List
    from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take one of the actions that you're having trouble with. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.
    The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.
    Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.
    Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.
    Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

• My computer does not eject the disc after it has been burned.

I understand that my computer is supposed to automatically eject a disc after it has been burned. Mine doesn't. Instead, I hear a "Plonk," which I assume is announcing that the burning process has been completed.
    First of all, is it true that the disc is supposed to be ejected after the burn has been completed? Secondly, how can I restore that function?

Diane Wordsmith wrote:
    To clarify...are you importing songs from a CD into iTunes, or are you burning songs from iTunes onto a blank CD? If it's the former, iTunes won't eject it...you'll just hear a chime or noise when it's done. If it's the latter it should eject.
    For the second poster, it sounds you are importing. In which case, you will just hear the sound when importing is finished and you eject the CD yourself.
    Just to make sure that I understand you correctly, here's what I did: Imported songs from website. They were in RealPlayer format. I then converted the song files into MP3 format, and put them into my iTunes music library. Finally, I put the songs in a New Smart Playlist, and burned them into a blank disc.
    Given this situation, should I expect the disc to automatically eject when the burning is competed? If so, what do I have to do to get it to work properly?

Maybe you are looking for

• How can I listen to a song from itunes and play along with my guitar on ipad2/apogee jam?

I am trying to utilze my ipad2 for guitar practce but having a hard time getting my technology under control.  I  have garage band as well as the apogee jam and I can easily hook it in and play, create songs etc.  But what I like to do is play along

• Change NEXT_RUN_DATE in test to match with the Prod database NEXT_RUN_DATE

i have job name "REFRESH_MN_ADDRESSES_J" in Schema "MESH_FOR" in Test database . What i want is that the this job NEXT_RUN_DATE should be chnaged to the Production database NEXT_RUN_DATE. How to do that in Oracle 10g database In test database <code>

• Problem starting second database

Hello everybody, after I was finally able to create a second database it won't start. When running the dbstart script it starts the first database fine and then tries to start the second. it then generates the following error messages: SQL> Connected

• I cant start 2 Virtual machines at the same time in a Hyper-V enabled machine

Hi, I have installed Windows 2008 Enterprise edition. Updated all patched from windows updated. Add the Hyper-V role and installed Windows 2003 in one Virtual Machine and Windows 2008 in another. After the first VM installation itself i had the probl

• Lightroom Freezes with Mouse Scroll Wheel

K, bit of an odd one here.... My lightroom appears to work perfectly except when i use the scroll wheel on my mouse, it seems to lock up. I am using Win7 64bit with Lightroom 3.4.1 When i check my task manager; windows seems to think that lightroom i