Is there any merit to the many complaints I've found in user reviews of the T61?

I fell in love with the T61 by spec. I'm also am very fond of the idea of having a solid black laptop. I started laptop life with an old toshiba that was solid colored and had a trackpoint cursor. Two things that have deeply disappointed me over the years are the disappearance of that cursor and the introduction of cheesy chrome and silver painted panels. Within a month of use they show scratches and wear and look like hell. What's the point of that?
So I went searching for the best budget laptop (1200USD range) for use primarily with cad software. I soon found myself at the Lenovo direct site where the T61 with downgrade to winxp, nvidia quadro graphics, and a faster 7200 hard drive still came in under 1100USD. Wow!
Then I did the usual for me. I researched it to death.. literally. I discovered a really withering load of complaint about this laptop in a number of review sites. "Off center" screen was a common complaint. Constant system crashes. Hardware incompatibilities with Vista. Nightmare scenarios with customer support (this is typical of any computer product, but the level of vitriol and the specificity was pretty scary). Many comments from longtime IBM lovers seemed to suggest that Lenovo has not lived up to the marque.
I'd really love to be well disabused of these perceptions. The T61 on sale right now at Lenovo direct seems to be a really unbeatable value. Please help me with considered responses and not defensiveness. I'm completely open minded at this point. Where are all of the negative reviews coming from? 
Message Edited by bjamesw on 10-11-2008 04:47 PM

Prior to ordering my T61, I read all the same scary reviews.  I loved the T61's specs and everything about it on paper, but was truly apprehensive because of these reports.  Despite my fears, I ordered and held my breath.  To ease the nerves, I bought an extended 3 year warranty from Square Trade.
Well, I've had my T61 since April, 2008.  It is a solid, dependable, predictable, well made, beautiful piece of equipment.  I have not had one single, physical problem with this computer - and not one single blue screen of death.  I use this computer for many hours every day.  And I'm not afraid to install many different apps on it.
I’ve never had to call or email Lenovo to report a problem. I’ve really had nothing to complain about.
Think about this: Most of these negative reviews are written by idiots who don't know what they are doing or talking about, and who shouldn't be allowed to touch a computer.  Typically, these naysayers are impatient, do rash things, install software incorrectly, don't treat equipment with proper care, and/or have unrealistic expectations.  As an IT professional, I’m well acquainted with the things that “just happen” in the user community.
Read the critiques published by professional reviewers – and there are many. Big difference, because these reviewers know what they are doing. Sure, there are some things they don’t like, but you read none of the ghoulish horror stories about crashing, won't boot, and blue screens of death that the idiots publish. It’s so unfair when these nincompoops make negative comments about equipment or software, dragging names thru the mud, when they themselves are the source of their own grief. So when reading reviews, consider the source.
I ordered Windows Vista Business, and I like it a lot. No major problems, no complaints.  I can't understand all the negative press.  Again, consider the source when reading the unfavorable reviews. Some people are compelled to be snobs.
The offset screen: I wondered about it too because of the reviews, but it is truly a non-issue.  Your eyes focus on the screen, not the bezel. The (slightly) unequal bezel doesn't even catch your eye, or register with your brain.  Forget about it.
I bought a loaded T61 from Lenovo direct:  T8300 (2.4GHz) with the 14.1WXGA +TFT, 7200 RPM 160GB drive, 2GB  RAM, Turbo Memory, Bluetooth, Fingerprint reader, larger battery, etc.  The price was $989, plus I got another $40 off from FatWallet.com. Go online, check for discount coupons everywhere before you order.
Is everything perfect?  No, Lenovo is pretty good with maintaining its system software, but there’s a little room for improvement.
Overall, I have no regrets owning my Lenovo T61. I continually compare it to other laptops.  I love it. The only thing I regret purchasing is the extended warranty. I don't think I'll need it.
Message Edited by BudLP on 10-13-2008 10:38 PM

Similar Messages

• Is there any way so that I Being able to clear out old data from the Order

Hi Friends,
    Is there any way so that I Being able to clear out old data from the Order Gate forecast, tolerance, and confirmed order to date tables on a monthly basis?
    Means I want data in data table for particular time (I want that if suppose today is 13-11-2008 then my data table must contain data from 13-10-2008 to 13-11-2008.
    Is it possible thru ABAP development or thru any t codes ?
    Any pointers will be rewarded.
    Regards

hi,
    Before archiving you have to put the Deletion flag for the object(May be for PO, MMR etc as per your req.)...
    After that the you use the archiving procedure to archive the docs which are already flagged for deletion...
    For MMR you use the transaction SARA...and its respective object for the archiving....
    You can use the SDN search to see the many threads on it...
    Or use this link as per your req. and make the search...
    http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/EN/75/ee0fa855c811d189900000e8322d00/frameset.htm
    Regards
    Priyanka.P

• On iTunes 11, how can I access home sharing if the music is from a CD? Is there any way I can download these songs if (A) I no longer have the CD, or (B) I do not want to pay $25 a year for iTunes Match?

On iTunes 11, how can I access home sharing if the music is from a CD on a different computer using Home Sharing? Is there any way I can download these songs if (A) I no longer have the CD, or (B) I do not want to pay $25 a year for iTunes Match?

Yes, you can copy songs that you ripped from a CD to your Home Sharing computer.
    Turn on Home Sharing first on both computers.  To do that, go to File > Home Sharing > Turn on Home Sharing.  Enter your Apple ID and password.
    Now go to your computer that you want to copy the songs to and connect to your Home Share.  You can do that by clicking on the popover button located at the left top corner right below the play control buttons.  Click on it and scroll to the bottom until you see your Home Share and select it.
    Go to Music in your Home Share.  Select the songs that you want to copy in your Home Share and click Import at the bottom right corner.

• Is there any way that I can have songs in an iTunes Playlist without having the songs play in my regular music list.  For instance: can I have a Playlist of Christmas songs without having them play in the routine shuffle of my music library?  Thanks -Rog

Is there any way that I can have songs in an iTunes Playlist without having the songs play in my regular music list.  For instance: can I have a Playlist of Christmas songs without having them play in the routine shuffle of my music library?  Thanks -Rog

Select the songs, press CTRL+I to Get Info, on the Options tab set Skip when shuffling to Yes.
    If you want to the hide the songs from your main music view you could consider changing the media kind to audiobooks or podcasts if you don't mind the side effect of them showing up there instead.
    tt2

• Is there any way to do a mass copy and paste of song titles from the "name" column to the "sort name" column? I know it can be done with individual titles but I have over 6,000 titles in my library.

In iTunes, is there any way to do a mass copy and paste of song titles from the "name" column to the "sort name" column? I know it can be done with individual titles but I have over 6,000 titles in my library.

Thank you. I have heard of Logic Pro 7, but I have never personally used it. I'm still growing in the world of Composition, and I know that it is something I will be studying in one of my Computer Music classes coming up for my degree. I think it is something I will look into getting once I can justify the price of it. I guess for the time being, I will continue to play and grow in my ability to use and take advantage of GB, and then see what I can do about or with Logic Pro when I'm ready. The thought of spending $1000 for a program is hard to bite, because I've already spent a lot to produce my music, not only electronic music, but also chamber music and so on. I had no idea it would be so expensive to dive deep into the world of composition! lol.
    Finale 2007: $500
    Sibelius 4: $500
    Jam Packs: $400
    Midi Keyboard Interface: $100
    PowerBook: $1700
    Printer for printing scores and analysis: $150
    Logic Pro 7: Oy!
    As you can see it adds up very quickly...that doesn't even include my personal instruments and study materials.
    Thank you for your input, as I haven't really worked much with LP, and therefore didn't know which features are available. I will talk with some of my Composition buddies, and professors and see what they have to say as well, and who knows, I may be able to get the express version through one of them.

• Thunderbird puts a new message at the end of the thread. Is there any way of changing this preference to listing new message at top of the thread?

Thunderbird puts a new message at the end of the thread.
    Is there any way of changing this preference so that new messages are displayed at the top of the thread.
    This is is more logical. You need to see new message in thread directly, rather than scanning to end of thread to see what is there.

No it is not possible. The newest message is attached to the message it is in reply to.
    The conversations add-on might better suit your needs. see https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/?src=ss

• My on/off button does not appear to be working on my iphone 3.....is there any way around this....anyway around this?...the phone also periodically just switches off.

my on/off button does not appear to be working on my iphone 3.....is there any way around this....anyway around this?...the phone also periodically just switches off.

Likely a hardware issue... no way around that except to get it repaired or don't use it (the button).
    Try restoring to solve the switching off problem.

• Is there any way to set a password so that txt messages only open when the password is entered

Is there any way to set a password so that txt messages only open when the password is entered?
    Please help! Thanks for reading:)

Hello Damien,
    There is an option to set a passcode for the entire iPhone.  You can use the following steps to set this up:
    You can configure a passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using Settings > General > Passcode Lock.
    Once enabled, you will be prompted for the passcode whenever you:
    Turn on or restart the device
    Wake the device
    Unlock the screen
    Note: You can specify the amount of time the screen must be locked before requiring a passcode.
    You can find the full article here:
    iOS: Understanding passcodes
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4113
    Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
    Best,
    Sheila M.

• Is there any way to ask Apple to add a certian TV Show (Star Trek : The Next Generation) to the iTunes store in Australia?

Is there any way to ask Apple to add a certian TV Show (Star Trek : The Next Generation) to the iTunes store in Australia?

You can try requesting it via this page : http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html
    But utlimately it's the TV studios choice, they are the people who will have to grant Apple a license to have it in the Australian store.

• Is there any possibilty to integrate a EAR file with cq5 project??? the ear file is generated from a

Is there any possibilty to integrate a EAR file with cq5 project??? the ear file is generated from a WSDL..

Is there a reason why you need an "ear" file ? So what is the task you want to fullfill.
    For me it sounds like you want to integrate a jax-ws service inside a cq5 project. To achive that you have to integrate a jax-rs client in cq5.
    One option to achive that is to integrate Apache CXF like documented here:
    http://www.pro-vision.de/adaptto/downloads/110915_adaptto_sling_cxf.pdf
    Samplecode can be found here:
    http://www.pro-vision.de/adaptto/downloads/110915_adaptto_sling_cxf_sampleproject.zip
    Best regards,
    Dominik

• I was given an 80gb ipod classic formated with mac os. Is there any way to connect it to my windows pc so I can transfer the song to my library?

I was given an 80gb ipod classic formatted with mac os. Is there any way to connect it to my windows pc so I can transfer the song to my library? When I try to connect to my pc I get a message asking me if I want to format the drive. I want to try to save the 15000 songs that are already on the ipod. Any suggestions?

The iPod and iTunes are designed so that you cannot transfer music on an iPod to another iTunes Library. This is because the 15,000 songs do not belong to you and you have no legal right to keep them.

• Is there any way I can use continuity between an iDevice and a Lumia? (The iDevice being an iPad or iMac)

Is there any way I can use continuity between an iDevice and a Lumia? (The iDevice being an iPad or iMac)

Continuity requires OS X and iOS. At least one of the devices you mention is lacking those... So no.

• Is there any application or tip to find a contact number by simply clicking ont the 3 or 4 first numbers. thank you

Is there any application or tip to find a contact number by simply clicking ont the 3 or 4 first numbers. thank you

Thank you so much Wjosten :-) its perfect and it work. Thanks again; Best Regards

• Unfortunately I have deleted my entire itunes library and back up from my computer, is there any way I can copy my ipod nano back onto my computer into the itunes library? and re-download all the tunes I have purchased  from I tunes.

Unfortunately I have deleted my entire itunes library and back up from my computer, is there any way I can copy my ipod nano back onto my computer into the itunes library? and re-download all the tunes I have purchased  from I tunes.

Hello bigali,
    Your options are kinda limited. I would use this first:
    Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and ...
    Then check here for the non-purchased items:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2452022
    You want to rebuild the library first, then sync the ipod.
    Here is a good idea for when your done:
    How to back up your media in iTunes
    Hope this helps.
    ~Julian

• Is there any way to project an I-Tunes purchased movie with a Proyector via the I-Pad/VGA cable? without streaming it with an Apple TV?

Is there any way to project an I-Tunes purchased movie with a Proyector via the I-Pad/VGA cable? without streaming it with an Apple TV?

You may be able to get some info from the restored/erased iPod by:
    How to perform iPad recovery for photos, videos
    Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS: iPhone Data Recovery - Wondershare Official     
    http://www.amacsoft.com/ipod-data-recovery.html
    iPod recovery software to restore lost music files      
    http://www.pcrecoverytools.com/ipod-data-recovery.html
    -iPod touch Deleted Photo Recovery Tips You Should Know

Maybe you are looking for