Linking external microphone to ThinkPad T430

Hello,  we are trying to use our ThinkPad T430 to support an external microphone.  The microphone is coming in via a mixing desk.  Previously our laptops have had two input points - audio and microphone and we have connected via the microphone input. However, on this new laptop we only have one audio input option and now cannot hear any sound when we use this.  Is there another piece of kit we need (splitter?) or some changes to the settings on the laptop?  Thanks for your help.  

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W530-external-line-mic-input-possible/m-p/1162...
i think the above solution may also help you in your case.
Regards,
Jin Li
May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Similar Messages

• Install External Microphone in MacBook Pro

Hello, When i link External microphone to MacBook pro i can't record sound in any application !! currently i am using Adobe Audition CS6, Image bellow i can't see external microphone in Audio MIDI Setup !!
    Adobe Audition CS6 Sound input setup !!!
    Please Help

?

• 2 External Monitors with the T430s with Intel HD4000

I have read several multiple monitor threads but could not get a clear solution to this.
    Model: I have a T430s with Intel HD4000 graphics.
    Desired set up: 2 External Monitors + Lenovo LCD
    Problem: It seems that I can only drive one external monitor. I'd like to drive two external monitors, as I did previously with my T420.
    What I've tried: I have a dock and have tried VGA + DVI for the external monitors, as well as DVI + DVI. Neither setup has worked. It always greys out the third monitor in the Windows Display options.
    Any thoughts on how to drive two external monitors with the T430s? Clarity is appreciated. Thank you!

RobertWerner2 wrote:
    If I'm reading the link you provided correctly, can I correctly assume that I CAN connect two external displays with just the W520 Laptop and NO docking station?
    I tested this today.  You can connect two external displays (1 VGA, 1 DisplayPort) without a docking station.  The result is 3 independent displays - the ThinkPad LCD, the VGA monitor, and the DisplayPort monitor. 

• How does battery charge work ThinkPad T430s

I recently bought a Lenovo ThinkPad T430s 2356-LRG and was wondering how the charge technology worked. I have searched around and looked in the manual but I couldn't find a good answer.
    My questions is that I use the notebook alot on AC power. And often for extended periods of mid to heavy load. I run Linux and have setup ChargeThreshold. It stops charge at 95% and begins again at 45%.
    But when I keep the AC power on, and if the battery has 80% it does not move up or down as expected. Because it must drop lower than 45%.
    Will the power then go straight to the machine and bypass the battery? Because the Battery-LED on the back is turned off. Or will it go via the battery and produce charge cycles on the battery?
    So let's say the battery is bypassed will it then be fine to keep it on AC and active for a period of many days with heavy load but monitor the temp of the battery. I know heat kills it.
    I could also buy an 95W power adapter and remove the battery completely from the machine when I have it at my desk for an extended period of time.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hey there MikalD and welcome to the forums!
    What you are experiencing is as per normal. These charge thresholds are determined in your power manager, there is a nifty Knowledgebase Article about this.
    First, open up the ThinkVantage Power Manager. Click on the battery tab, and then Battery Maintenance. This will open a window where you will be able to change and set your charging thresholds to your desired preferences.
    Additionally, here are links that can give some insight and advice of how to increase the longevity of battery life.
    How Can I Increase Battery Life?
    How To Maximize Battery Life
    I hope this information assists you.
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

• I can not record audio with the internal microphone or a external microphone? What is the fix?

I can not record audio with the internal microphone or a external microphone? What is the fix?

jw000.w wrote:
    I do appologize and appreciate it! Im and running OS X
    Please click on the following link & do the necessary in providing the info previously requested.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1758 How to identify iMac models
    Click on the Apple>About This Computer.  The window will tell you which version OS is currently installed on your iMac.
    =========================
    It would help us to know which computer model you have, which OS you're using, how much RAM, etc. You can have this info displayed on the bottom of every post by completing your system profile and filling in the information asked for.This will help in providing you with the proper and/or correct solutions.
    Thank You.

• There is an external microphone input on my notebook?

Hi!
    I'm not sure this is the right section where I can post this question.
    Anyway: I bought a pair of headphones with a microphone to use on my ENVY m6, but when I tried to find the input for the external microphone jack... I dind't find it.
    I tried to plug them both in the headphones jack with a '2 to 1' jack converter but the microphone still didn't work.
    There's a solution or just I can't connect an external microphone to my notebook?
    Thank you so much and sorry for my bad english.
    Elisa

Hi @EllieInTheSky ,
    Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY m6 Notebook and issues with the microphone headset. Here is a link to troubleshoot the headset and microphone. Your notebook supports a plug in stereo headphone combo jack.
    What make is the headset?
    Press the Windows key, type microphone, under settings you will see setup a microphone. It will bring a wizard up and you just select which one you have.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
    Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

• Serious problem of thinkpad T430s' battery!

When I use the battery as the power of my laptop, it always shutdown abnormally before the battery reach the “critical low battery alarm”.For example, I set the power manager to sleep when the battery lower than 10%. However, it will out of power when the battery reaches 12-13%. It wasn’t a normal shut down, it suddenly goes down without any alarm. It seems that the power been cut down by someone. My laptop is a new thinkpad T430s, it seems something wrong with the battery. I try to Perform Reset the battery, but it still not work.

Hello! I'm owning also a t430s with a battery fromPanasonic. My operating system is GNU/Linux (Archlinux, with self compiled kernel 3.6.0-rc5). Are your ThinkPads include a Sanyo or Panasonic battery? I will contact Lenovo support today or tomorrow and ask them to send my a new battery from a differnt manufacturer. I hope this is just a bug in the battery firmware or hardware and not the in the UEFI or hardware of the ThinkPad itself. I opened a bug at bugzilla.kernel.org but now I'm sure this is not a bug in the Linux kernel! Seems like battery beliefs it has 7 % to 10 % more capacity than it really has and reports also to high capacity through "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now". The file "energy_now" reports to me 3500000 mWh (3,5 Wh) at the very moment it losts all power, which should be enough for 20 minutes or more. Further links:https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47851http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=106237http://eniak.info/2012/09/15/lenovo-thinkpad-t430s-mit-linux-arch-linux/   // german  /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent
    POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT0
    POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
    POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
    POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
    POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
    POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=11100000
    POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=11839000
    POWER_SUPPLY_POWER_NOW=26104000
    POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL_DESIGN=43290000
    POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL=47620000
    POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=18560000
    POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=38
    POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=45N1039
    POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=Panasonic
    POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER= 2304

• Thinkpad T430 Cannot Boot from Recovery disk

Dear Community,
    I recently purchased a Thinkpad T430 with Windows7 Pro edition preinstalled.  I want to replace the installed SSD drive with a larger SSD drive (samsung 840 pro).  I have no files on the laptop yet.  After careful reading of several posts and the Thinkpad manual, I created a recovery medium (boot and data) using the Lenovo installed tools onto a 16GB USB flash drive.  I then removed the lenovo SSD drive and replaced it with the Samsung SSD drive.  I connected the flashdrive to the USB port and attempted to boot from this flash drive.  In the boot menu, both the Samsung drive and the USB drive show up, but if I select the USB drive nothing happens (the boot menu reloads).  After reading more posts, I went into the BIOS menu and tried some suggested changes but nothing seems to work.  
    I am an ordinary user, I am not an IT professional and embarked on this adventure thinking it should be straightforward enough.  
    Can someone help me please?
    Thanks in advance.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hello and welcome,
    Was the flash drive properly prepared before creating the recovery image?
    New or used USB memory keys or USB flash drives require an active partition created from within Wind...
    Sometimes a non-booting flash drive can be fixed by setting the partition active.   Use the instructions in the above link but don't clean, create, or format - or do anything that might corrupt the data.  Just select and set active.
    If there's something else wrong with the drive prep (wrong format, for example), you may be able to get it working by doing the prep on a 2nd USB drive and copying the contents of the first drive.
    You only get to make the recovery media once so if neither of these work you'll need to call support and request DVDs.  In a case like this where the recovery drive creation has failed they may or may not charge for the media.
    THINK-branded products
    German
    French
    Italian
    0800-55-54-54
    (Warranty service and support)
    9AM - 6PM
    Monday - Friday
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• How do I connect an external microphone to a Macbook Pro with Retina display ?

How do I connect an external microphone to a Macbook Pro with Retina display ?
    Alternatively how do I connect an audio input at a level that would normally have gone into a 'line input' socket ?

Plug it into the linein/headphone jack if there's just one.  It'll switch between the two modes automatically depending on what you plug into it.

• MacBook Pro and external microphone

We bought a MacBook Pro 15" Retina a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to use it the same way as our current PC laptop: hook up an external camera via BlackMagic Shuttle Express Thunderbolt (through the Thunderbolt port), hook up an external Sennheiser Freeport wireless microphone (through the 3.5mm combination headphone/microphone jack), and hook up a set of regular headphones (through the USB port).
    The idea is to videotape an event, getting good quality audio from the presenter via the wireless microphone (our space has big limitations in terms of using wired devices), and monitoring the audio through the headphones. This is a scenario and a set up where several PC units have worked perfectly well in the past.
    However, after spending over $2,000 on the MacBook Pro, we found out that the 3.5mm combination port will not take input from any of the microphones we have. This YouTube video explains exactly our situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiYc9Cqpis   (we did not create the video, but the video shows this is a common issue). On the video they explain the plug of a regular microphone has 3 rings or pins, while the plug needed for the 3.5mm combination has four rings or pins.
    We spent about 45 minutes with Apple customer support, including a senior advisor, and we were told that as the Apple headphone/mic combination, the one you use with an iPhone (seen on the video above), works in the combination jack, both as a microphone and as a headphone, then there's no issue. Apple does not have any recommendation, solution, or adapter for using a regular 3.5mm microphone with the 3.5mm combination jack, so that an external microphone can be easily used. The senior advisor also suggested a USB microphone instead, but that means a) having a wired microphone, which is not possible in our space, b) buying more equipment, when we already have our equipment, and c) adapting all our setup to the MacBook Pro, instead of the machine being easily integrated into our existing setup (more likely, we will ship the MacBook Pro back instead).
    A few discussions on the web (for example, https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110505020946AA8izSV ) mention that this specific laptop expects a "line level" microphone signal, one that would come from a pre-amplifier, so that regular microphones would not be detected. The Apple senior advisor was not familiar with that claim, nor could he shed any light on it.
    So our question is: has anyone successfully used an external 3.5mm microphone with the 3.5mm combination port on the MacBook Pro Retina 15"? If so, what kind of microphone did you use? Or, did you have to use any kind of adaptor or amplifier to make it work?
    Thank you for any pointers you can give us.

We tried a number of 3.5mm splitters (to get separate headphone and microphone connections from the combo mic/headphone jack), and USB to 3.5mm converters (to get separate 3.5mm headphone and microphone connections from the USB port), but none of them worked.
    The only solution we found to connect a microphone to a MacBook pro were the Shure XLR to USB convertor (http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/microphones/microphone-proble m-solvers/x2u-xlr-to-usb-signal-adapter) and the Blue Icicle XLR to USB convertor (http://bluemic.com/icicle/). The Icicle is the cheaper back up for the more expensive Shure.
    Both were recognized by the laptop, and both audio signals were detected properly. We are using them to capture voice only, so we don't know how they would fare when music and musical instruments are involved.

• HT3648 I have an iPod touch 3rd generation. I would like to test it with talk to text for my deaf mother. I have downloaded the dragon program but I need an external microphone. Can you help?

Hello,
    I think my iPod touch is a 3rd generation. It is a 4.2.1 Version, 8 GB.
    My 89 year old mother has totally lost her hearing. I would like to experiment with my ipod touch to see if an ipod is what she could use in her assisted living arrangement.
    My ipod does not have an internal microphone as far as I can tell.
    I see on the internet that I can purchase an external microphone.
    I do not want a headset microphone just an external microphone where someone could speak into when the dragon app is on and it will transfer talk to text for her to read.
    Can someone help me: a) do you think this will work.
    b) what do I have to do to make it work.
    Thank you.
    Yours truly,
    anetatsk

Just Google for: mic for ipod touch. You will find my hits.
    http://touchmic.com/
    http://www.cellphoneshop.net/microphone.html?CAWELAID=513810317&gclid=CIP-svXuy6 8CFUGo4AodXy-xaQ

• Why doesn't my external microphone work?

Yesterday I opened up Garage Band to do a recording. I have been using my Blue SnowBall  microphone, and in the past, even as recently as the day before, Garage Band always recognized that mic by name, and would ask me if I wanted to use it. Now the only option it gives me is “USB Advanced Audio Device”. Obviously an automatic update had changed the way it handled recognition of my microphone. As I selected this option, I found that wasn’t the only change that occurred. The instant I made the selection all audio functions within Garage Band immediately failed, not just recording, but playing audio as well. Once I reverted back to “built in microphone” then my audio functions returned. So my Blu Snowball is no longer compatable with Garage Band. Coincidently, seconds later Garage Band advised me of the newest version of Garage Band, and asked me if I would like to update. I have seen that question before, and the answer is no. I have had too many problems before with updating. Most recently I updated to Yosemite OS X and all my projects in i-Movie became corrupted. I also read on the net that the new Garage Band frequently causes older Macs to crash. So how do I return functionality to my microphone? If it worked before it should work now. Functions should not be taken away from me. I should not be forced into updates that bring me more headaches.

Today I found that when I select "USB Advanced Audio Device" for my "input source" that if I go to garage band "preferences" and check my "audio output" it has also been automatically changed to "USB Advanced Audio Device". I'm not sure what kind devices this update was designed to accomodate , but my device is nothing more than a microphone, thence the reason I have no sound. This will happen every time I turn on or plug in the microphone, but I can still use the microphone by manually going into preferences and changing the audio output to either "system setting" or "built-in output" every time I connect my external microphone. I thought I checked all my settings and preferences before when I was trying to figure out why I had no sound, but either I missed it before or there has been another update.

• How can I get an external microphone to work on an iphone?

How can I get an external microphone to work on an iphone?

Japib is correct.
    WHAT happens? Exactly.
    Also helpful would be to tell what event preceded this behavior - added App, update iOS, etc.
    Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"
       To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.
    Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
    Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "iOS 6.0.3" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
    Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
    List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.
    ÇÇÇ

• How can I connect external microphone to MacBook Pro?

Hello!
    I need to connect the external microphone to my MacBook Pro? How can I do it?

Some mikes have sufficient output to connect to this port, Alexey, but most don't. the solution, if you really want to use this particular mic, is to obtain a small battery or mains powered pre-amplifier to connect between the microphone and the line -in input. Alternatively there are devices which will allow you to connect your existing mic through the USB port. If you have an amplifier with a mic input already you could also use this as an intermediary, though it won't be very portable, of course!
    You may find it cheaper to simply buy either a USB or "line level" mic, though.
    Cheers
    Rod
    Cheers
    Rod

• External microphone won't work on Macbook Pro

My external microphone won't work on my Macbook Pro.
    My mic is an SE2200 A, and I'm pluggin that into a Behringer Eurorack UB802 (with Phantom power). This is then connected to a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter so I can plug it into my Macbook Pro.
    If I plug this directly into my Macbook Pro into the headphone socket (which I've been told doubles up as a mic socket), and go to Settings -> Sound -> Input, the mic does not appear on screen at all.
    If I plug it into a 3.5mm to USB adapter, and plug it into a USB port on my mac, then the USB PnP Sound Device appears on the Settings -> Sound -> Input, but no sound is picked up.
    Could any suggest why this isn't working?
    thanks

You have to use a cable that will break out the 3.5 mm TRRS jack into mic, L, and R.
    I haven't found the right wiring yet and the cables I have tried don't seem to work.
    See this post: What is the wiring digram on the MacBook Pro 3.5 mm TRRS jack?

Maybe you are looking for