LSI 1068E SAS/SATA controller Bug + Sun Sparc Enterprise T5440

Something that's very new & very unique
I have never seen before I hope that someone have seen it before & can help me
I have a hardware mirror between two internal disks within the Server
as soon as the power is cut off suddenly the volume becomes inactive in the next time boot up
so u need to go through the OK prompt selecting the Scsi bath for the disks activating the Volume again manually
which is not a practical solution & doesn't satisfy the customer
note that the server isn't in the warranty or maintenance contract so I can't open a case for the problem
so if there is any one who might have any clue for this
I would be so grateful for him
Thnx & regards

Hi,
I've not seen such problem in past and not sure what is the ILOM f/w version you are using, but it would be good idea to have the latest f/w applied if you are running low.
-Mehul

Similar Messages

• Sun sparc enterprise t5140 server bus speed

Hello,
    what bus speed have sun sparc enterprise t5140?
    I found these datasheet:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com%2Fus%2Fproducts%2Fservers-storage%2F036000.pdf&rct=j&q=sun%20sparc%20enterprise%20t5140%20server&ei=5R5STv-fIIOj-gav6tSNCw&usg=AFQjCNGEaD-shDgGEAaz0_z3MivZV8fqFg&cad=rja
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CF8QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.qassociates.co.uk%2FDownloads%2FSun-SPARC-Enterprise-T5140-Server-Datasheet.pdf&rct=j&q=sun%20sparc%20enterprise%20t5140%20server&ei=5R5STv-fIIOj-gav6tSNCw&usg=AFQjCNF_MUMSSFfWX3ZaWH62xFUo2oo5jw&cad=rja
    but without bus speed specification.
    Thanks a lot.

Hi.
    It's problem found same bus on T5140 becouse this server have different architecture.
    See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/systems-hardware-architecture/sun-t5120-t5220-t5140-t5240-163910.pdf
    Memory controller, PCI-E controller,10 Gb/s Ethernet - integrated at CPU and connected via crosbar.
    The crossbar provides approximately 300 GB/sec of bandwidth
    Regards.

• Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 GUI not working

Dear Professional,
    I have new Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220 and i am booting this server to get GUI to access my installed application. but i am getting ok prompt it is not giving me access to GUI login windows.
    Sun server details are:
    Platform type: Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220
    OS release: Solaris 10
    Serial # Bel09100ux
    Your suggestion can fix my problem..!!
    Rgds,
    Shrinet

Hi i am sorry but proble is this see the below log
    -> start /SP/console
    Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y
    Serial console started. To stop, type #. Done
    0:0:0>Master CPU Tests Basic....Done
    0:0:0>Init MMU.....
    0:0:0>NCU Setup and PIU link train....Done
    0:0:0>L2 Tests....Done
    0:0:0>Extended CPU Tests....Done
    0:0:0>Scrub Memory....Done
    0:0:0>SPU CWQ Tests...Done
    0:0:0>MAU Tests...Done
    0:0:0>Network Interface Unit Tests....Done
    0:0:0>Functional CPU Tests....Done
    0:0:0>Extended Memory Tests....Done
    2010-04-06 11:27:06.282 0:0:0>INFO:
    2010-04-06 11:27:06.290 0:0:0>     POST Passed all devices.
    2010-04-06 11:27:06.297 0:0:0>POST:     Return to VBSC.
    2010-04-06 11:27:06.303 0:0:0>Master set ACK for vbsc runpost command and spin...
    SPARC Enterprise T5220, No Keyboard
    Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    OpenBoot 4.30.0, 8064 MB memory available, Serial #84211932.
    Ethernet address 0:21:28:4:f8:dc, Host ID: 8504f8dc.
    Boot device: /pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/disk@0,0:a File and args:
    SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_127111-06 64-bit
    Copyright 1983-2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    WARNING: consconfig: cannot find driver for screen device
    Hostname: host11
    /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s7 is clean
    /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s7 is clean
    ___host11 console login: Apr  6 12:06:14 host11 /sbin/dhcpagent[53]: interface e1000g0 has gone down___
    I want to get GUI and here i am on server now and can see (interface e1000g0 has gone down)
    What is this mean for is this the problem thats why i am not getting GUI login screen ?
    Please help on this point.
    Rgds,
    Shrinet

• (D20) Marvell SAS/SATA Controller Utility under Vista X64

Dear All,
    I am the new user for Lenovo workstation. recently I bought D20 for my work. I use the Vista X64 as my O.S. for D20 and I also setup the RAID5 under Marvell SAS Storage Controller.
    Everything running well presently, but I can not find the Marvell SAS/SATA Storage Controller utility to monitor the RAID volume under Vista x64 ? 
    Can you advise me where I can find it or how I can monitor the RAID volume under Vista X64 ? 
    Thanks,
    Cody.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

cody,
    currently that's the only version available that i could find and the only one listed on the D20 driver matrix page.
    all you can do is try installing it in vista and see if it works.   most likely it will.
    -erik
    ThinkStation C20
    ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30 · 600

• Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 Server as Oracle db server?

Hi,
    we're considering to replace our Sun Fire V490 Servers with newer generation of Oracle SUN Servers.
    It's mentioned that next-generation product for V490 Servers is Sun SPARC M4000.
    Do you have any experience with M4000 as Oracle db servers?
    Our systems are mostly OLTP based with batch processing overnight.
    Database with about 150 concurrent users max.
    What would be our best price/performance option?
    Thanks!

Hi ajmaidak,
    our SunFire v490 configurations are:
    2x SunFire v490 , 4GB RAM , 2 (1x dual-port HBA) x 2Gb FC
    2x SunFire v490 , 8GB RAM , 2 (1x dual-port HBA) x 2Gb FC
    What do you think about consolidation of those four v490 servers on two Intel 7500 based X4470 servers?
    Intel 7500 X4470 is strong enough to handle workload of two SunFire v490 servers?
    Same question related to Sparc VII+ M4000 server - can this server handle workload of two SunFire v490's?
    Thanks for answer.

• SAP Performance Problem with Oracle 10 on Sun SPARC T5240 server

Dear Friends,
    We have a performance problem after migrating our SAP ERP 6.0 basis system. We moved to new servers a month ago.
    According to SAP EarlyWatchAlert Report, CPU response time is too high, altough CPU utilization is never more than 5%,
    The current system is :
    Database server : Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 Server - 2 CPU´s with 6 core, 8 thread, 1.2 Ghz 32 GB RAM
    and we use another identical configured server as an application server.
    Database is Oracle 10.2.0 and operating system is Solaris 10.
    The problem is average CPU response time is 450 ms, and max. CPU load is %5 percent.
    Pre-migration configuration with old servers, we had CPU response : 150 ms and max CPU load: 50%.
    Old configuration : 2 X HP rp3440, 2 X PA 8800 CPU (2 core, 1.0 GHz).
    Have you got any experience with a similar situation, which setting might be wrong for not fully utilizing server CPU´s?
    or do you know any similar configuration for benchmark?
    Thanks in advance
    Uzan

Our organization upgraded an application - The vendor had originally suggested a T2000. When we finally migrated onto it, the performance was worse than the older version of the application. The vendor hadn't yet tested the combination of T2000 and 10.2 with their application when they had made that hardware recommendation, they subsequently revised their recommendations. We ended up with an M4000.
    The application performance, IMHO, still stinks. But that's because it's a java based application written for database independence.
    The interesting item to note here, is that in the application teams 'selective' testing - everything worked fine. When the testing was extended to include users who didn't follow the 'test plan', they found performance begin to tank. Then with more users, more testing, they found that the T2000 was not going to perform well. The test plan by the apps team was not sufficient to find the issues, and they did not include any load testing!
    Edited by: dbtoo on Jun 5, 2009 11:20 AM

• LSI SAS3442X-R SAS/SATA HBA Card and an external enclosure.

There are many Sun Systems that only have two drive bays, so expanding internally really isn't an option. However, if you are willing to think outside the box, you have more options.
    I found a SAS/SATA card by LSI that supports Solaris SPARC. It has internal and external connectors. It is not cheap. The cheapest I have found was about 212. I believe it is the 8-port version (SAS1068) of the adapter that is built in to the T2000. (SAS1064)
    Right now, I am thinking about getting that card and an external SATA enclosure which will hold around 4 drives. SATA drives are relatively cheap, so a workable solution would be to get a pair and mirror them.
    BTW, I am a probably upgrading to a Sun Blade 2000. It would be kind of pointless to spend more on storage than a Blade 100 is worth.
    http://www.lsilogic.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3442xr/index.html

This card is not an option on your Sun Blade 100 anyway - it's a 3.3V only card & is keyed so that it won't fit in the Sun Blade PCI slot. Ask me how I know :-)
    The thing is that in the Sun Systems Handbook the PCI slots on the Sun Blade 100 and 150 are listed as 3.3v/5v and 32/64 bit. So, looking that the specs it seems like it is supposed to work. However, looking more closely at the docs, the PCI riser card FRU part description states "The PCI signaling is 5V, 32Bits, 33MHz".
    If I knew that the signalling was both 3.3v and 5v I'd probably remove the PCI key. However, if it's really 5v I'd just likely destroy my LSI card :-S
    I wanted very badly to get an external enclosure for some more storage on my 100 and it looks like I'm about out of options (firewire panics the kernel from time to time under heavy I/O). I'm thinking of finally dumping my SPARC gear and moving over to x86 out of frustration.. I would be SPARCless for the first time in 15 years.

• Controller LSI 1068E and raid 10

Hi all.
    I 'd like to create a raid 10 with raidctl on a Blade 6320. I have 4 disks of 146Gb. After I jumpstarted the blade I did as follow:
    # raidctl -C "(0.0.0 0.1.0)(0.2.0 0.3.0)" -r 10 0
    Creating RAID volume will destroy all data on spare space of member disks, proceed (yes/no)? y
    Operation not support with volume of this level.
    Does anybody know if it's possible? Any clue/suggestions?
    TIA
    san2rini

Hardware
    T5240
    16 x 146GB SAS Disk (0 - 15)
    Integrated LSI 1068E
    Software
    Solaris 10 Operating System 5/08 Media
    Objective:
    Task 1: To Create RAID 1 Array using 0 and 1 HDD for OS Volume
    Task 2: To Create RAID 1E Array 2 ,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13 for Data Volume
    Task 3: To Create Hot Spare For the Above Array Using 14 ,15 Disks
    Operations Performed:
    Task 1 To Create RAID 1 Array using 0 and 1 HDD and install Solaris OS Volume
    Step 1+: In ok boot cdrom -s
    Step 2+: In # raidctl -C "0.0.0 0.1.0" -r 1 1
    Prompted for yes/no
    typed yes
    Volume created successfully
    Task 2 To Create RAID 1E Array 2 ,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13 for Data Volume
    Step 1+ In # raidctl -C "0.2.0 0.3.0 0.4.0 0.5.0 0.6.0 0.7.0 0.8.0 0.9.0 0.10.0 0.11.0 0.12.0 0.13.0" -r 1E 1
    Prompted for yes/no
    typed yes
    Error occured while processing the above command
    Configuring mpt .............. 0.2.0
    done
    Configuring mpt .............. 0.3.0
    done
    Configuring mpt .............. 0.3.0
    done
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Configuring mpt .............. 0.11.0
    done
    Configuring mpt .............. 0.12.0
    done
    Configuring mpt .............. 0.13.0
    done
    timeout error occurred
    step 2 +# raidctl -S
    0.2.0 device gone
    0.3.0 device gone
    |
    |
    |
    |
    0.13.0 device gone
    above error found
    step 3+
    Os Installed and configured Sucessfully in RAID 1 VOLUME
    step 4+
    after getting in to the OS
    in # raidctl -S shows
    LSI 1068E
    c1t0d0
    0.0.0 GOOD
    0.1.0 GOOD
    0.14.0. GOOD
    0.15.0 GOOD
    disks 2 to 13 (12 disks Invisible)

• Areca Arc-1210 SATA ll vs Arc-1212 SAS/SATA ll

Hi
    I was thinking to get a Arc-1210 card to make an internal raid 3 with my 4 samsung F3 1TBSATA ll. During
    my research about where to buy the card, i found the Arc-1212 with better bus speed and support SAS/SATA ll
    peripheral devices for just  few bucks more. So I was thinking to get the 1212.
    I contacted Areca to verify the usability of my samsung F3 with the Arc-1212 card. they wrote me back:
    both 1210 and 1212 are 3Gbp controllers, one important difference between
    1210 and 1212 is the 1210 is a SATA controller and the 1212 is a SAS
    controller.
    the 1212 SAS controller use newer processor than 1210 used, faster and more
    throughputs, so you may got higher performance on 1212 if your drives have
    higher throughput than 1210 can handle.
    but because the 1212 is a SAS controller which mean it may not fully
    compatible with SATA drives like SATA controllers did. and the drive you
    used is desktop drives which may not reliable enough for array application.
    so i can not tell you use 1212 with these drives is a good configuration or
    not.
    With this answer from Areca i still get no clear answer if it will work. I found a lot of information for
    the arc-1210 on this forum and it seems to be a good purchase but mostly nothing about the 1212.
    Someone made successful job with the Arc 1212 with F3 Drive or with other sata drive? or knows where I
    can find the answer ?
    http://www.areca.com.tw/products/pcie.htm
    http://www.areca.com.tw/products/pcietosas01.htm

First of all, according to experiences of a lot of people here, the F3 are perfectly OK in a raid array. Even my older and slower F1's work without a hiccup.
    Second, if you have the choice to go for a 1680 or even a 1880 card, you will benefit a lot from the much faster IOP and the faster cache. I'm not familiar enough with the 1200 range to say the 1210 or 1212 is better.

• HT6400 10.9.5 update defected my MacBookPro8,1 SATA controller

Dear all,
    I have a MacBookPro8,1 with an Sandisk 256G Ultra SSD instead the HDD (the HDD is moved to the DVD bay).
    It worked nice for a half a year, but after this update on friday I could not access the SSD. DiskUtility sees only the HDD.
    SSD via external USB case is ok. Other HDD cannot be detected neither by the builtin controlled.
    I already tried all resets SMC & co. and I also checked that the firmware (SSD, boot ROM and SMC) are up to date.
    The funny thing is that the second SATA controller channel is working nicely with the original HDD.
    Any ideas are welcome? What else can it be rather than a bug in the new apple firmware?
    My Hardware Overview:
      Model Name: MacBook Pro 13"
      Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
      Processor Name: Intel Core i7
      Processor Speed: 2,8 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
      Total Number of Cores: 2
      L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
      L3 Cache: 4 MB
      Memory: 16 GB
      Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
      SMC Version (system): 1.68f99

Dear all,
    I have a MacBookPro8,1 with an Sandisk 256G Ultra SSD instead the HDD (the HDD is moved to the DVD bay).
    It worked nice for a half a year, but after this update on friday I could not access the SSD. DiskUtility sees only the HDD.
    SSD via external USB case is ok. Other HDD cannot be detected neither by the builtin controlled.
    I already tried all resets SMC & co. and I also checked that the firmware (SSD, boot ROM and SMC) are up to date.
    The funny thing is that the second SATA controller channel is working nicely with the original HDD.
    Any ideas are welcome? What else can it be rather than a bug in the new apple firmware?
    My Hardware Overview:
      Model Name: MacBook Pro 13"
      Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
      Processor Name: Intel Core i7
      Processor Speed: 2,8 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
      Total Number of Cores: 2
      L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
      L3 Cache: 4 MB
      Memory: 16 GB
      Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
      SMC Version (system): 1.68f99

• Cannot enter BIOS or boot from LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i

Hello,
    I have a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i installed in a C220 M3 (in PCIe1). When I go to CIMC, I can see the adapter there and I can create RAID arrays. I can set the first logical drive to be the boot drive too without a problem. If I boot from ESXi installer it will see the disks and install to them.
    The problem is, the server won’t boot from the disks, and I don’t see any problems for the card’s BIOS during boot. I have disabled the on-board RAID controller.
    How do I get the server to boot from the RAID card?

Hi,
    Glad to see the issue is resolved now (I never saw your post before) was it that the OptionROM for the PCIe card was not enabled or the boot order was not properly set?
    -Kenny

• X4170 - Is the onboard SATA controller SATA I? II? or III?

Is the onboard SATA controller SATA I? II? or III?
    Is it also a RAID controller? If so, what RAID configurations does it support?
    I'm obviously new to SUN/Oracle servers so......
    Thanks

Hi.
    It was 3 models of this servers:
    X4170  Sun Fire X4170 Server Product Library Documentation
    X4170 M2  Sun Fire X4170 M2 Server Product Library Documentation
    X4170 M3 Sun Server X3-2 (formerly Sun Fire X4170 M3) Documentation
    Base board  have SATA I controller and no RAID support.
    But in most cases ordered addittional RAID controller for intrenal disk.
    Regards,
    Nik.

• 8-Port-SATA-Controller for Solaris??????

Hi,
    does anybody know whether it exists a 8-Port-SATA-Controller for Solaris (9 or 10)???
    We have a small Fileserver with 8-SATA-harddisks and are forced to use Gentoo, because we didn�t find a 8-Port-SATA-Controller for which Solaris offers a driver.
    Please help us, because Gentoo really sucks!!
    THX!!

Now that's really interesting.
    Now a bulk of questions:
    1) Are you sure your friend's laptop doesn't have the P-ATA compatibility mode on?
    2) Can you check out which BIOS the laptop uses?
    3) What does FSC mean by "supporting the only right OS?
    You said you updated your BIOS to 1.10C . I think this version is not the most up-to-date version, check out http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/linkapplication.html?LNG=EN&ID=3533
    But don't bother yourself with flashing the new BIOS, in the release notes it only says:
    current BIOS V. 1.13C:
    Solved problems:
    - Correct T2080 CPU battery mode behavior.(CPU working clock from 800~Max).
    Known errors, problems and restrictions:
    - none
    Additional Information:
    - Update MicroCode for Intel Core Duo T2080 T2060.
    predecessor BIOS V 1.10C:
    Solved problems:
    - none
    Known errors, problems and restrictions:
    - none
    Additional information:
    - Support for Intel Core Duo T2060 processor.
    - Support for Microsoft Vista
    _ This is the initial BIOS
    I myself contacted the Sun Support Center to whine a bit about my problem, but only got the answer to call a hotline.
    You will need to contact Sun Austria for further information regarding support
    alternatives at +43-1-60563-0.
    Regards, ....
    verywell.
    Seems our problem is the BIOS now.
    Cheers

• X4200 - Need SAS RAID controller

I cant seem to find a half height PCIX SAS RAID controller for our x4200s.
    I've been looking at Adaptec, they don't have a 1/2 height (2U) card.
    LSI has a few cards, but no solaris drivers.
    I need assistance in deciding whether to buy new disk arrays, or new servers.
    Thanks!
    [email protected]

Running 2 different raid cards often depends more on the system board's bios than the cards. The most common problem is resource conflicts. With the current boards and PCI-e controllers on both the chipset and the southbrdige, it's alittle easier to do this without running into this problem. Just make sure you install 1 controller first after you update the bios on the board. Get the driver installed and update the firmware on that card before you install the 2nd card. Then update the firmware on that. If you use the component layout in Asus manuals to see which slots are attached to where, then you can make sure you have 1 card on the chipset and 1 on the southbridge.
    Eric
    ADK

• Compaq Presario v6346ea: Which type of SATA controller?

I've recently bought an Intel X25-M/G2 Solid State Drive and was expecting read speeds of 200 MB/s on my Compaq Presario v6346ea notebook. Instead of that the maximum speed I get from CrystalDiskMark is 135 MB/s.
    Now I'm suspecting the SATA controller of my notebook to not being able to handle the speeds of this Solid State Drive.
    I've looked on HP's website to find out which type of SATA controller is used in my Compaq Presario v6346ea but can't find find any clear info on that subject.
    From what I read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA there are 3 types:
    SATA Revision 1.0 (SATA 1.5Gb/s, max 150 MB/s throughput minus overhead.)
    SATA Revision 2.0 (SATA 3Gb/s, max 300 MB/s minus overhead.)
    SATA Revision 3.0 (SATA 6Gb/s, max 600 MB/s and up minus overhead)
    Does anybody know which type of SATA controller is used in this Compaq Presario v6346ea notebook?

Thank you for the additional info. I ran SISoft Snadra and found some interesting stuff. For instance, it IDed the chipset as a mcp78s not a mcp77. It also indicates that it can use DDR3 memory. I'm not sure if that's accurate, as it conflicts with specs I've read elsewhere. If true, I wish I'd known that when I upgraded my RAM to 8GB. :-p Anyway, I've tried to determine the SATA revision, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way. I went to "Storage Devices" and clicked the only available button: "Physical Disks , Storage adapters and devices". From there I can choose my internal hard drive from a menu, and it shows the maximum SATA mode as G2 / SATA300. But I'm not sure if this is in reference to the controller or the drive. I know that the drive is a SATA-II, so it would show that if it's displaying the drive's capabilities. It certainly tells me everything else I'd ever want to know about the drive. When I switch to my external USB HDD, it shows the maximum SATA as G3 / SATA600. For the DVD drive it shows G1 / SATA150. So I kind of think it's showing me the maximum capabilities of the drives, not the controllers.  Is there some other way to check the maximum SATA capabilities of the hard drive controller? Sorry. I'm not too familiar with SISoft Sandra, and it's not really obvious to me. And given what it's turned up about the chipset and the memory support, I want to be sure here. Thanks.

Maybe you are looking for