MAR WIN 7 PRO 64bit on Refurb T520

I have ordered a T520 refurb. It apparently has MAR WIN 7 PRO 64bit installed on a 250GB 7200 HD. No discs, so presumably there will be a recovery partition.
Question 1: Will I be able to burn a recovery CD from the recovery partition?
Question 2. I would like to install an SSD as the main drive. Can I clone the entire HD including recovery partition and keep it as a back up? Maybe install in Ultrabay and partition it so I can use it in part for data.
Question 3. If I needed to download and install a Win7 Pro 64 bit ISO, will it work using the MAR license?
Question 4. I think I read something about loss of functionality of Thinkvantage when using MAR Windows because Flextronics/IBM are not fully licensed to offer some features. Is this true? I may have misunderstood.
Any other pitfalls of MAR I should know about?

"All the Lenovo software will not be included, and probably the drivers they have on file for the system. That would be because the company does not have a contract with Lenovo (I am guessing here) but as far as I know that does not stop you from getting it. BUT you will not get the other software that is loaded on Lenovo's at the factory. That may be what they are talking about. But Windows is windows. Say for instance you have Windows 7 Premium Home, it will be the same as if Lenovo installed it, or you installed it yourself.
One issue you may have. Recovery discs. Are you getting any Discs with the computer, or does it have a recovery partition. You have to get one or the other at the cost of the remanufacturer"
 I am finding that there are differences with the IBM/Flextronics refurb machine. They say in a FAQ that because they are not legally allowed to use the Lenovo operating software, the Thinkvantage button is deactivated. If I hit downarrow (or is it F12), and get to the boot choice screen, there is an option at the bottom for recovery. This uses the recovery partition and will apparently over write the windows installation, losing set up etc. 
What I was looking for, was a method to backup the recovery partition to DVD or USB stick just in case drive itself fails. But I don't see a way to do that other than cloning the entire disk. Is there another way?

Similar Messages

• Laserjet 1320 on win 7 (64bit) - cannot access from a networked XP Pro machine?

I have a Laserjet 1320 and a Officejet 6450 attached to a win 7 (64bit) machine - both work fine.
    Have a home workgroup network established with an XP pro machine.  Both printers are "shared" etc..
    I can access the Offiejet from the XP machine, but cannot get access to the Laserjet.  Claims that
    the proper Driver cannot be located.  Have downloaded the PCl5 driver to the Win 7 machine, but when
    I point the XP machine to the HP PCL5 Driver folder on the win 7 machine it still cannot find the proper driver.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Don
    Thanks for the reply.
    The version of Visual Studio being used is 2002 (getting on a bit now).
    We had a play about with the way we installed the MSI installer we had created that installs the Crystal Reports runtimes (merge modules) and managed to get it to work on both Windows 7 32bit and 64bit.
    The solution was a weird one, but seemed to work (but was different to what I had done before to get it to work).  We made sure the MSI was local on the PC and right-clicked the MSI and selected the ''Troubleshoot Compatibility' ' option.  Not 100% why this would work, but it seems to have done the trick.
    Many thanks for your help.
    David.

• I bought my macbook pro 13" and i installed win(7 64bit) and the dvd of bootcamp came with my notebook and i installed it sucessfully but now i want to install win 8(64 bit) and i did but unfortunatley that dvd of bootcamp didnt work what should i do hlp?

i bought my macbook pro 13" and i installed win(7 64bit) and the dvd of bootcamp came with my notebook and i installed it sucessfully but now i want to install win 8(64 bit) and i did but unfortunatley that dvd of bootcamp didnt work what should i do to install my bootcamp and apple software in win 8
    thanks in advance,,,

ahmad_uetlhr09 wrote:
    i bought my macbook pro 13" and i installed win(7 64bit) and the dvd of bootcamp came with my notebook
    Boot Camp does not come on DVD, what did you install.

• Win 7 Pro 64bit - BIOS Update Failure 2ACN37WW

G'day Genlemen,
    I am upgrading to 2g RAM and need to update my BIOS. However I am not able to get the program to run from Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I am trying to install 2ACN37WW.exe
    When I open the program as administator it pops up for a second and disappears, I've tried running it in compatibility mode which doesn't help.
    Do I need to be using a 32bit OS for the 2ACN37WW.exe to run in Windows? I have followed the txt instructions exactly.
    Is there another way I can update to 2ACN37WW outside of Windows? Like the Thinkpad T serious CD BIOS update method?
    IdeaPad S10-3 (064757M)
    S/N:xxxxxxxxxx 
    Thanks,
    Smack
    Edit by Mod Dont show your Serial in public to prevend your privacy

Hi and welcome,
    there are a few methods you can use.. via bootable usb memory stick or card &
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    sincerely KalvinKlein
    Thinkies 2x X200s/X301 8GB 256GB SSD @ Win 7 64
    Ideas Centre A520 ,Yoga 2 256GB SSD,Yoga 2 tablet @ Win 8.1

• Problem with Acrobat 8 Pro on a WIN 7 64bit system

I have installed Acrobat 8 Pro and my Win 7 64bit machine and am having trouble printing web pages to pdf
    but can find no exact reason why the just hang in the spooler just saying they encountered an error.
    Any help with that?

The updates may resolve the issue. To update you may have to go to ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/ to get the updates and install them in order.

• Is Adobe acrobat 6.0 CE compatibile with WIN 8.1 Pro 64bit version?

Is Adobe acrobat 6.0 CE compatibile with WIN 8.1 Pro 64bit version?

I don't think so.  You will probably not be able to activate that old of a version anyways due to it no longer having a supporting activation server.

• NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 hangs CS5 W/100% CPU Win 7 64bit

I'm running Win 7 64bit and CS5 64bit and it works fine until I load Silver Efex Pro 2 then CS5 hangs and CPU is @ 100%. I have to force close CS5.
    I also have SEP 1 and that works without a problem.
    I also run XP Pro SP2 on a completely different hard drive that get switched in and out with my Win 7 hard drive, NOTE these two OS's are not in the system at the same time (sorry but some on these forum get confused about that), and run CS5 32bit on that install and SEP runs fine on that OS and CS5 32bit.
    What could cause this. I will be contacting NIK tomorrow about this problem.
    Anyone else haviing this problem?
    Thanks.

Not helpful?
    In this thread alone you asked whether anyone had seen a problem.  I bumped the thread back to the top so it would be seen more.  Yes, I really did think about that when I made my first response in this thread, which otherwise had 0 responses and had fallen off the first page.  It was a "matter of fact" response, intended for you and future readers, no condescension intended.
    You asked about licensing services and I named them.
    But these things are not helpful in your opinion.  No "thanks for the information" or even "thanks for your response".  Just a "Gee Thanks" with an attitude.
    Unlike you, when you address me, I respond.  I asked you a question, but you ignored it.
    And now guess what?  I don't particularly feel like doing you a favor and trying to remember that you would prefer me not to respond to your comments.  Tell you what:  You continue to post when and where you want, and I'll do the same.
    -Noel

• Lorsque j'installe itunes itunes64setup.exe, ne démarre pas win 7 pro 64bit. message pas d'accès au dossier, pourtant je suis administrateur.

lorsque j'installe itunes itunes64setup.exe, ne démarre pas win 7 pro 64bit. message pas d'accès au dossier, pourtant je suis administrateur.
    Message exacte: ''soit le dossier itunes est sur un disque verrouillé, soit vous ne disposez pas de l'autorisation d'écriture pour ce dossier. Pourtant, j'ai tous ces accès. impossible de démarrer Itunes. quelqu'un peut m'aider?

when I install itunes itunes64setup.exe does not start win 7 pro 64bit. Message not access the file, but I am an administrator.
    Exact message:'' is the itunes folder is on a locked disk or you do not have write permission for this folder. But I have all these access. unable to start Itunes. Can someone help me?
    Try the shift-start-iTunes method to make sure iTunes is trying to open the correct library file. This is normally <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
    iTunes: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one
    Essayez la méthode shift-démarrage iTunes pour s'assurer iTunes essaie d'ouvrir le fichier de bibliothèque correct. C'est normalement <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
    iTunes : ouverture ou création d’une autre bibliothèque iTunes
    tt2

• Installing win 7 64bit is a no go on 2011 15" macbook pro on 10.6 or 10.7

I've been struggling with this for 3 weeks or so since i got this brand new quad 2.3ghz 15" macbook pro. it has 8gb ram, but i have attemped the installation with 4gb as well without anyluck.
    upon boot all i get is a blinking cursor and then nothing - forever.  it sees the disc, but nothing happens.
    on macrumours some people also had luck setting their screen res to 800 x 600 but it didn't work for me.
    i have tried every rumour i have come across, including resetting the smc and pram, but this machine will not install a fresh OEM official disc of windows 7 pro 64bit onto clean installs of snow leopard or lion.
    I have also attempted this with most up to date versions of 10.7.1 and 10.6.8
    is there anything else i can try or is this machine a dud?  Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

OEM as in really OEM? or just what is called "System Builder" and will install universal hardware.
    Burned ISO or shipped as physical media?
    A lot of schools and others offer electronic versions themselves or off MSDN. Burnikng is an issue.
    Doesn't matter what version of OS X you use, other than it has to be able to download drivers for after Windows is installed. The MB Air needs USB-DVD support driver for the install.
    Rumors are just that. What you want is someone that it worked for. Forums are usually those it doesn't and had trouble. Hopefully not the norm either.
    3rd party RAM has been blamed once or twice, not compatible with Apple's.
    Truth be told, you should not need anything other than poip in the DVD, hold the Option key down so you can get to the Apple boot manager to select the optical disc, and install. Anything less and either the Mac, the optical drive, the DVD.
    Burning ISO electronic versions: slowest burn speed in Disk Utility.
    Also, you have your Windows partition, that should be 50GB.... or more.
    You could try VirtualBox and seeing how that goes and install Windows in a VM.
    Just to test. A VM is forgiving. Most can be installed off an ISO as well.
    If Paragon CampTune 9.5 (latest, supports Lion partitions, Lion now has its Recovery partition etc) supports resizing partitions between Mac and Windows, but I think can also be used as quick assist with the install process. Most of their products have good demo and $19 to resize etc isn't bad.
    If you just bought Windows 7 then it should also be "SP1" already included rather than the old original version which is now a full two years old!
    Can you exchnage the DVD etc? I'd go that route, there are reports of bumb DVDs. And hope it isn't the optical drive, which happens but less often.

• Upgrade from Win 7 Pro 32bit pre embeded OEM pack to Win 7 Pro 64bit

Hello,
    I have recently purchased 15 Dell OptiPlex Desktops with pre installed Windows 7 Pro 32bit Operating System.
    Now, i wish to upgrade it to Windows 7 Pro 64bit but not able to do so as i do not have the product key. As I understand the key for 32bit & 64bit is same but the problem is that I cannot locate my current pre embedded OEM license key as it is been embedded
    in to the motherboard as informed to me by OEM (Dell).
    Please suggest a solution as on how can I upgrade my current 32bit OS to 64bit in this scenario.
    Awaiting your response in anticipation.

This for is for Windows Embedded POSReady. A better place to post your question is on he Windows forum site:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winforms
    www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Win XP virtual client on T520

Folks,
    I would like to setup a Win XP virtual client on my T520 running Win7 pro ..
    I read the threads about the CPU setting in the BIOS ... That is done  ...
    Now what ?
    I was given a Toshiba from my employer with  Win 7 Pro  - 64bit  I5 chip .. Same chip as my T520. The Toshiba had folder in the Start Menu with an application to create the virtual client.
    I can't find anything similar to that on my T520 or on the Lenovo support Site.
    Can someone point me in the right direction ?
    Thanks
    -Fred
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

This one's easy. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ and download the two required downloads. The first creates the Virtual Machine and the second creates the Virtual XP machine. It's free, provided your installation of Win 7 is legit. Once you're done, the same folders that you have on your Toshiba will be on your T520.
    T520 4239-CTO
    T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
    A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
    A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
    TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
    701C Win 98 Don't ask

• Exit Code 6 after installed CS 5.5 Web Premium on Windows 8 Pro 64bit

I installed CS 5.5 on Win 8 Pro 64bit and it worked fine, until I had to re-format this PC (it was a hard disk problem, not from CS). After I finished installing Windows and wanted to install CS 5.5 back, then I got Exit Code 6 with 5 errors and 40 warnings, mainly itis about OS requirements not met for.
    I tried to fix it by doing as the trouble shooting tips on the last installation windows;
    1. Restart the PC
    2. Exit and stop all applications, including internet security.
    3. Reinstall
    This time, I still got Exit Code 6 with more errors and warnings.
    I have tried serveral medthods on the same machine.
    On Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with or without any internet security.
    On Windows 8 Pro 64bit with or without any internet security.
    All the same result, Exit Code 6 with some error and warnings.
    Any help please?

Sorry for the delay, I do not think I have missed anything, because I tested by re-formatting and re-stalling the OS (7, 8 and also 8.1) and also updated all windows service patches until nothing left, all other programs are fine to install and run, such as MS Office, games.
    It is very frustrated and time consuming with this software. I started to understand why many people still using a pirate one as it seems Adobe cannot help or do not want to be bothered with this issue as there are many people posted the same issue on the web.
    Expensive software that only looks good in the box!!
    Anyway, thanks for your concern and tried to help me out.

• Printing from a Small Business Server to Win-7 64bit Workstatio​n

I have a workstation with Windows 7 Pro 64bit that prints nicely to a LaserJet 2300dn with the native driver that is part of Win-7. There are 4 PCs, 3 with Win7 one with XP; all print well through the 2300dn wihich is connect to the router. On a separate network that only the Win-7 Pro 64 bit Workstation is connected to is a Small Business Server 2003. Here is where the problem is.
    When the workstation was on XP, Vista and Windows 7 Release Candidate (also 64bit) it was easy to print from the SBS through Remote Desktop. This is necessary for QuickBooks forms and checks. With the official final version of Win-7 64bit I cannot get the SBS server to print through the workstation. I have found that if I put a 32 bit driver for the LaserJet 2300dn on the workstation printing through Remote Desktop can be done....for awhile. Then the LaserJet 2300dn goes 'off-line'. The only way to get it back on-line is to reinstall the driver. But since it's a 32bit, the printer soon goes off-line again. With the 64-bit driver the printer stays on-lline but will not print from the SBS via remote desktop.
    I realize that this is more of a Windows problem than an HP driver problem, but I'm hoping someone on this forum may have a solution or idea for me to try.
    Thank you very much for any suggestions.  Anything suggested would be most appreciated.
    --Bob Harris

*I found the reason for this problem* and the solution outside of this forum.
    If anyone else is interested _the issue is cause by the use of GPT partions on the 8.1 build._
    To overcome this and install a fresh copy of Win7 you can do this:
    -Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.
    -Power on and press F2 while the Toshiba logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.
    -Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".
    -Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."
    -Press F10 to save and exit.
    Go to http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ and download gparted boot image. Make bootable gparted cd and use it to delete the GPT partitions on the HDD.
    Now just install Win7 64bit as you normally would creating whatever partitions you like during the install process. Of course you must have a new licence key for Win7 for this to work.
    To finish off you will need to download all the required drivers from the Toshiba website to suit Win7 64bit. This is quite tedious as some of the files are huge. I got just the basics that I thought I'd need and that ended up being over 1Gb of files.
    I'm so pleased I managed to get rid of that nasty Win8 interface.
    This is probably not the only way to do this, but this worked for me.

• Photoshop Data can ot be stored on WIN 7 64bit

Hello! I have installed Photoshop on PC WIN 7 64bit. When I store first time a Photoshop docuument, it works fine - after re-opening and doing changes I trying again to store it - it does not work anymore! First it does not accept the name (message "It can not be stored because the nam is invalid" With 2. trial it tells me that the data is blocked and I don't have the rights - and I should chenge them. But I am working as the Admin on my PC - and each trial to change the rights of the data is as well not possible because of missing rights - even I am Admin! I must always store the data with a new name, then it works, but I also cannot remove the old datas or shift them into the waste paper - because of no rights! -- sorry for not perfect english, I am German native speaker! Tahnks a lot for help!

The HP update error code (9996) usually indicates the update is not needed for your computer and it should not be installed. Here are the specs for your Touchsmart IQ506t desktop computer. According to the specs, your computer came with an AVerMedia NTSC/ATSC (A327) PCI Express x1 hybrid tv-tuner mini card. The Windows 7 driver you are trying to install indicates it is for the AVerMedia (A323) Minicard Hybrid ATSC and Hybrid DVB-T TV tuner. The original Windows Vista driver is for the AVerMedia A326 and A327 Mini-Card Hybrid Analog/ATSC TV tuners. Based on this information, I would say that the Windows 7 driver is incorrect for your TV tuner. I would consider searching HP's drivers for a different one or possible looking at AVerMedia for a driver.
    Frank
    Frank
    {------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
    Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V
    This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.
    HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
    HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
    HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
    HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
    HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240

• After Effects CS4 install on Win XP 64bit OS

I am trying to install the After Effects CS4 trial unto a Win XP 64bit OS.  There was only one trial download available and figure that if there is a 64-bit trial versions, it would be packaged with this also.
    The installer designates installation location as "C:/Program/Adobe" which is correct as this is the 64bit program folder location.  However, it actually drops the application in "C:/Program Files/Adobe (x86)".  Also when After Effects CS4 is ran, it shows up as a 32-bit app in the Windows Task Manager process list (labeled as "AfterFX.exe *32")
    If possible, is there a way to get After Effects CS4 properly recognized as a 64bit app under XP64?  I know this OS is not fully support per system requirements, but managed to install Photoshop CS4 as a 64bit app without issues.
    Another thing that confuses me also is the After Effects CS4Readme/technote:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405854http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405854#_Toc162848026
    Per known issues ...
    "When installing on 64-bit editions of Windows Vista, an incorrect default installation location appears. The application will be installed in the correct location: C:\Program Files (x86). (#BG064131)"
    Does this mean After Effects CS4 is a 32-bit only app?

Thanks for the quick clarification.  I figured since video is so memory intensive, After Effects and Premier Pro would naturally be the first apps in their lineup to receive full 64bit compatability.  Seems Photoshop CS4 is the only full 64bit app in their productivity line up.
    Sébastien, thanks for breaking down the benefits of still going with a 64bit OS for AE!

Maybe you are looking for

• HT3939 How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is unlocked

How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is unlocked?

• Mixing pages from different themes

Is it possible to mix theme pages within a single project? No single theme works for my current project. The problem is not so much the picture layouts but the text. I need one of the Title Page formats from the Folio theme, plus some of the Text Pag

• Fast GUI development

I have a project with many screens (views?). they interact with a data layer that gets data from different sources. I want to concentrate now on making the screen look better with styles, transitions etc. But loading the entire app everytime is slow.

• Flash MX 2004 Won't Run on Mac

Hey everyone, I'm running the new aluminum unibody model of the MacBook Pro, 15" with up-to-date specs, so space/RAM isn't an issue. I recently found my Flash MX 2004 disk which says it is fine to run on both Windows and Mac. I install it, but when I

• Does the microsoft surface rt work with iPhone/ipod?

Does the microsoft surface rt work with iPhone/ipod?