Maximum hdd size for T60

I have a T60 type:8744-5BU. I have read on Levono that 160gb is the largest  hdd that is compatible with this unit.
Will any 2.5" ide drive work?  And what is the SATA that is in the device manager. Will this system use a SATA drive also?  I have down loaded and ran files to enable the sata.
Solved!
Go to Solution.

Welcome to the Forum!
What you read on the Forum was probably a discussion about T43 or T23 maximum hard drive capacity- perhaps this thread:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Legacy-ThinkPads-Z60-61-G40-41-A/Hard-Drive-Capacity-for-T23/m-p/1021013.... Those models utilize PATA or IDE (older technology) hard drives, which capped out at about 320GB.
Your T60 takes 2.5" 9.5mm SATA hard drives, not PATA hard drives. SATA hard drives are available in capacities much larger than 160GB. They have gone pretty rapidly from 160GB---> 250GB--->320GB--->500GB---> 750GB and are currently available in 1TB (terabyte) capacity. No one seems to have broken the 1TB barrier yet, but who knows what tomorrow holds.
As for drivers, yes the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Drivers must be installed to enable AHCI (SATA mode) in BIOS versus IDE (compatibility mode). This will allow your laptop to take full advantage of SATA technology and (theoretically) improve drive performance. However, there will be no real noticeable or measurable difference in real world use, especially on a T60, whether operating in AHCI or Compatibility mode. There are lots of discussions you can read up on concerning "AHCI SATA" if you plug such words into the <Search> bar above. 
Edit: You received an excellent response to your question above just as I was typing. Now you have two answers to your question.
Have a great day. (I do not work for Lenovo)

Similar Messages

• What is the maximum HDD size for Pavilion DV7-3105ea and can I add a 2nd HDD.

Hi,
    Please could someone advise me as to the maximum HDD size that can be installed in a Pavilion DV7-3105ea.
    Additionally is it possible to add a second HDD.
    Thanks and kind regards,
    jB

There is no theoretical limit the only limit is what is sold on the market. Any correctly sized SATA laptop drive will work. They do now make 1TB drives that will fit and yes there is a secondary hard drive bay so theoretically you could have 2TB of storage. You are going to need 1 or 2 drives like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291
    The drive has to be 9.5 mm in height some 1TB laptop drives are too thick.
    You also likely need a second hard drive caddy/connector like this:
    http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=222&zenid=2a83d0d222d80c6...
    And here is a link to the Manual showing how to get to the hard drive bay:
    Drive Manual
    Check your system to see if a secondary drive caddy/connector is there but it likely is not and you need the part linked above. Good luck.

• Maximum HDD size for Satellite Pro 4290 ??

My hard disk is wearing out (Win 98 tells me it has many bad sectors). Do I have to fit a 6gig hard disk or can I upgrade? If so, how big a disk will the latest BIOS address?
    I think I need a 2.5" 9.5mm disk, but I don't know if there are any other specifications I have to adhere to.
    ALSO, if I buy a USB hard disk for back-up etc, will the computer see it? Is there a maximum size for external USB disks?
    HELP!!!!
    Mike

Hi Mike
    There is no precise information or specification about this issue but I am sure that you can use 10 GB HDD without any problems.
    I have two external HDD`s and I have no problem because I use both with USB 2.0. Your unit has just USB1.1 Maybe you should not use HDD with high capacity. I will try to connect my 30GB external HDD to USB1.1. After that I can report you what exactly happens.

• Maximum hdd size for MacBook Pro 17" (late 2006)

I have macbook pro and looking to upgrade the base HDD of 160GB to maximum supported. I bought this in march 2007, so should be late 2006 model.
    Can someone share the knowledge, if they had upgraded to the bigger HDD? Also what capacity we can go as max?
    Thx

The only limit you have is about 1TB - now about the largest drives that will fit in notebook computers. Do you really have the need for something so large, though. You could get a good price on a 500-750GB drive and that would increase your internal storage nicely. Your model and OS don't limit you to the size of the hard drive you can install.
    Clinton

• Maximum HDD size for HP 8510

Hi,
    I have just bought an 8510p on auction and wanmt to upgrade the HDD from 120GB to 750GB.
    Can nyone tell me if the 8510p can deal with a HDD that size?
    If it can't what is the maximum size that can be installed?
    Many thanks
    Cameron
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hi,
    Based on the following specs, it uses SATA (most likely SATA II) HDD therefore you can use larger (capacity HDD). A 750Gb with 7200RPM will be very nice for this machine:
       http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...
    You may need to update BIOS for the machine:
      http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?cc=us&prodNameId=3355680&prodSeri...
    Good luck.
    BH
    **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• Maximum HDD size for Satellite Pro 6000?

Hi, I am trying to install a 60 GB HD, but it formats, and it stops at Windows XP Pro instalation.
    Is there a limit to HD size?
    Thanx,
    Ronaldo

Hi,
    does it stop without any error message? If not then try another copy of WinXP since the Satellite Pro 6000 shouldnt have problems with that harddrive. I had 2 years a similar machine and I also had a 60GB Toshiba HDD installed. It worked like a charm, so I cannot imagine that the harddrive could be the problem.
    Cheers

• Is there a maximum HDD size for this motherboard?

I am thinking of upgrading my HDD containing my Vista operating system to one of at least 1TB in the near future and believe that I saw somewhere that some BIOSs limit the size of HDD which they will recognise.  Is this correct?
    If it is, then is there a way to partition a big HDD to overcome this problem?

Quote from: Bas on 01-May-09, 01:20:03
    There is no limit you can reach at the moment on harddisk size, as no harddisk is big enough
    Thanks very much Bas.
    Viv

• Maximum HDD size for T61

I am thinking of upgrading my T61 with 1 TB WD HDD. 
    Dimensions
    69.85 x 9.5 x 100.2 mm
    Got a few doubts -  
    is 1 TB 9.5mm compatible with T61?
    Would this model fit and work flawlessly with my T61- 7665 13 Q?
    http://www.flipkart.com/wd-1-tb-laptop-internal-hard-drive-wd10jpvt/p/itmd7cgymhgh4whu?pid=IHDD7CGYQ...
    Is it OK if  I use a large boot drive i.e., 1 TB?
    Thanks 
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hello,
    That 2.5" 9.5mm high 1TB Western Digital SATA hard disk drive will work fine in a T61 or a T61p.  You can even install a Hitachi 5K1500 hard disk drive with 1.5GB of storage.  Both it and the Western Digital drive you linked to are 5400 RPM hard disk drives.  If you would like something faster, Hitachi has the 7K1000, which is a 7200 RPM hard disk drive. 
    The key thing to make sure is that the drive you purchase is no taller than 9.5mm, like the one you selected or the Hitachi models listed above.  Some higher capacity (1TB+) drives come in a 12.5mm or 15mm high enclosure, which won't fit inside a T61 or T61p.
    Regards,
    Aryeh Goretsky
    I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
    S230u (3347-4HU) • X220 (4286-CTO) • W510 (4318-CTO) • W530 (2441-4R3) • X100e (3508-CTO) • X120e (0596-CTO) • T61p (6459-CTO) • T43p (2678-H7U) • T42 (2378-R4U) • T23 (2648-LU7)
      Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Maximum file size for export into MP4?

Hello,
    I am not able to export 2 hour HD video into standard MP4 file. It seems that reaching 100% export algorithm gets into loop. I was waiting for hours and still had seen progress at exactly 100% with final file size on hard disk to be 0 bytes. I am using CS5 on MAC OS X. I had to split my timeline to 2 parts and to export them separately (which is embarrasing). Is there something like maximum file size for export? I guess that 2h video would have about 25-35GB.
    Thank you
    jiri

You are right.
    So I am running AP Pro 5.0.4, Adobe Media Encoder 5.0.1.0 (64bit). Operating system Mac OS X ver 10.7.3. All applications are up to date.
    MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GB, 8GB RAM, nVidia GT 330M 256 MB, 500GB HDD
    Video is 1920x1080 (AVCHD) 25fps in a .MTS container  (major part of timeline), 1280x720 30fps in .MOV container (2mins), Still images 4000x3000 in .JPG
    No error message is generated during export - everything finishes without any problem...just file created has 0 byte size (as described above).
    This is my largest video project (1h 54min) I dont have any other problem with other projects.
    I dont run any other special software, at the moment of export all usual applications are closed so that MacBook "power" can go to Media Encoder. No codecs installed, using VLC Player or Quick Time.
    Attached please find printscreen from Export settings (AP Pro). Writing this ppost I tried to export only the first 4mins from timeline where all kind of media is used...and it was OK.
    As a next step I will try to export (same settings) 1h 30mins as I still believe problem comes with length of video exported.
    Let me know your opinion

• Maximum HDD size

What is the maximum HDD size I can use with a PowerMac G5? Currently I have a 500GB HDD installed.

OOPs, yep 2.1 TB! Thanks!
    Make sure the drive is SATA 1.5 Gb/s compatible, some drives will work with jumpers to slow them down, for instance WD drives jumper on pins 5&6.

• What is Max HDD size for MacBook Pro 15" bought in 2006-07

Hi
    I bought a MacBook Pro 15" about 3.5 - 4 yrs ago. The model is A1211.
    It came with 120GB HDD, 2GB RAM.
    What is the maximum HDD size that this will support? The Apple store employee says, it will support only upto 160 GB. But, I am skeptical it would be that low.
    So, was wondering if anybody knows the max size, and also, which HDD would be best. I want at least 320 GB.

You can get a 750 GB drive that is 9.5mm high. As far as I know, the 1 TB drives are all still 12.5 mm high, although that could change at any time.
    The fastest 750 GB drive I know of is this one:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hard-drives/
    It is 7200 RPM. At 5400 RPM, there are many other choices. You might want to shop at Newegg, which often has specials on drives, as does Tiger Direct. Newegg also has reviews of individual drives you can look at.
    Personally, I like Western Digital drives, and put the 500 GB Scorpio Black drive in my 2007 MBP, where it has performed without issue. The largest drive that originally shipped with my MBP was a 4200RPM 250 GB drive, the very biggest one you could order in a MBP back then.
    Any 2.5 inch SATA drive should work just fine. The only one I would avoid is WD's 640 GB drive because a number of people have has issues with it in their Macs.
    You might shop around on line a bit, and if you are torn between two or more drives, post back with what they are and ask for opinions. Everybody has favorite drives, so it may not be possible to get anything other than a bunch of opinions.
    One other thing to watch out for. Some drives are sold with or without some form of free fall sensor. Apple has its own built in sensor called the Sudden Motion Sensor. In some machines and drives, there seems to be a conflict between the drive's sensor and Apple's SMS. If that happens, you would need to disable Apple's sensor. Usually it's easier just to select the drive without a built-in sensor and let Apple's SMS work as its designed to do. In the Seagate drive I linked, it's called "G-Force", but would have a different name in a different brand.
    Incidentally, you can up your RAM to 3 GB if you like.
    Good luck!

• Max hdd size for ms-6140 ??

anyone out there know the maximum size that the ms-6140 motherboard can handle?? its also called the 'micro ATX EX7' on some occasions.
    ive searched alot and cant find anything...
    bios has been flashed to most recent version, even though its only from 1998...
    thanks for any help!
    oh and i dont have any hdds lying around to simply test the boards capabilities :(

thanks, i didnt really know what those extra jumpers on HDDs were for.
    i borrowed a 40gb HDD off a friend and did as you said, the bios then auto-detected it as being about 33000MB in size.. would this be the maximum HDD size?
    you did mention that by its age, the max HDD size might be 32GB, so this all sounds like we've found the answer;
    have we?
    thanks heaps!  )

• What is an idea of maximum file size for a film in Captivate?

Hi there,
    I'm creating an elearning course in Captivate 7, and it is being published as HTML5. This means the films I've imported are being converted to MP4s, and they are around 10-20mb in size once they've converted. They seem very slow to load on some computers - do you think the file size is too big? Or could it be another issue? Does anyone have a recommendation for maximum file size for films? They are 572 x 322px and around 1-2 mins in length.
    Thanks in advance

Probably better guidelines that dictates 'size' of a vi are:
    typically no more than 1 video screen in size
    is it legible
    and is it's function and operation clear.
    I have seen examples of '1 vi does it all' that were many screens wide and tall, totally a flustercuck, and nearly 1 MB in size.
    Globals and local variables (except for LV2 style) are typcially shunned for they can create a host of problems (race conditions, indeterminant data).
    Use connector pane to wire controls and indicators to. Then use wires between vi's to transfer data. I tend to use clusters to hold shared data.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It’s the questions that drive us.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Maximum font size for auto-sized form text

You need to let the user select a maximum font size for automatically sized text. If most of your fields are set at 10pt type, but you have one field for which you want the text to resize automatically, it looks stupid if that cell contains a small amount of text that’s set at 16pt or whatever. If you could set the maximum font size to 10pt for that field, then the text would be consistent with the text in the other fields unless there is so much text that it needs to scale down.

Can anyone please advise?
    Cheers

• Maximum file size for importing into Premiere Pro CS6

Hi,
    I'm considering recording raw video, no compression at 720p, 30 fps for 20-30 min.  This woudl result in a file that is close to 80 Gbytes.  I'm wondering what the maximum file size for importing into premiere Pro is and if I need to split this file up into smaller pieces.  Any recommendations on how I may deal with uncompressed raw video that is pretty long in length?
    Thanks,
    Serena

There is bound to be some limit somewhere in the program, but you should be well below that. The biggest issue might be whether your computer is up to the task of handling it. If you will post your computer specs., someone will give you comments on that aspect.
    Good luck,
    Hunt

Maybe you are looking for

• HP Pavilion p7-1030d Problem.

Hello Everyone, Good day. I am having issues with my system. It seems the sytem is always restarting on its own even iniside the BIOS setup. Then after the meantime of several unexpected system restarts it will just leave the HSF spins very fast and

• Credit Card charged fraud

My card has been charged fraudulently for making a SKYPE call. I have NEVER registered payment details with SKYPE. Further I dont seem to be able to access a secure email or contact details with SKYPE to report this fraud. This is outrageous. I have

• Ess/mss best practice

When implementing employee self service and manager self service what are the best practices when creating ids.  Do most use active directory. Or employee Ids and or generated numbers.  I would like to know what the best methods some may recommend. T

• HTML DB and Serial(COM) Port

Hi, everyone, Is there any way that HTML DB can communicate with Serial Port (COM Port) directly? I searched the forum, and saw someone mentioned "Visual Baisc", "Javascript", "ActiveX", or "DLL". Could anyone give an example for it if you had succes

• Weird backplate on my MSI GE60 2OE-003US

I was going to clean my computer and for some reason the backplate on mine doesn't completely come off. After you lift all the tabs it twists on an axle of some sort. I have never seen this on a laptop before. I will provide pictures later as I can't