Migrating Operating System Software from T61 to another T61

Hi,
I currently own two T61s. I have setup the first one with the OS and all the software and taken a snapshot. I want to migrate/duplicate that on the other T61.
So i made a backup of it (using Thinkvantage backup and recovery) on to a external USB drive and tried to load it to the other and it just caused a lot of problems. I was not able to restore and it hosed the MBR too.
I wonder if there is a way that i can do something like this and restore the backup onto a different system.
Really apprecaite your help.
Thanks
nish.
PS: I think IBM would have not built a piece of software that would not allow such migrations. I do have legit license etc so i am not worried about that. I just don't want to spend a couple of days reconfiguring my OS + software the way i want on the new system. Thanks for all your help.

Hi,
yes you are correct. This is a TVT froum and not 3rd party forum.
For your situation I would advice following:
- once you fully setupped the whole base system, as you want to use it, open Rescue and Recovery application <hope it's the latest from our web>
- go to Advanced view <see left low corner of the screen>
- capture a full backup of the system to a USB HDD, or whatever place you want to keep the backup
- once you have done this, connect the USB HDD to the second system and boot up from this HDD
- go to Advanced mode and select Restore -> Full restore of your system using a backup
- the restore should finish and simply boot up to the OS
In case you want to migrate additionally some settings, please try to use System Migration Assistent, which is also a TVT applicaiton. In case you are interrested in this, please let me know.
Rgrds

Similar Messages

• My PowerBook-G4 operating system software - Mac OS X 10.5.8 - does not meet minimum requirements for downloading the latest version of  FireFox ... is there an Update for a newer version of my op.sys. software,  or,  what is a better choice of an Upgrade?

my PowerBook-G4 operating system software  - Mac OS X 10.5.8 -  does not meet minimum requirements for downloading the latest version of  FireFox ... is there an UpDate  to a newer version of my op.sys. software,  Or,  what is a better choice of an UpGrade to a newer/different op.sys. software ?
    Thanx!

The best maintained PowerPC browser at the moment is TenFourFox:
    http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
    It is a Mac port of a newer version of FF thatn any PowerPC Mac can support natively. It runs, looks and feel like FF.
    I found some add-ons that helped TFF with speed issues. Pleae see my post in another PPC forum:
    FYI: Speed-up for TenFourFox on PowerPC

• I bought a used iMac and I want to format and re-install the operating system however it didn't come w/operating system software.

I bought an iMac from a client and I'm concerned that the software that is on the system is not secure. I would like to remove everything and start with factory default programs and settings. The system is about 3-4 years old and there are no original operating system software discs.
    How to I re-format the hard drive, and do I need to purchase an operating system for it?
    Thanks.

Your best bet is to call AppleCare and order a set of original OS X Install Discs, you will need a credit card and the serial number of the computer. If you don't know what version of OS X was on the system when it originally was purchased that is the best thing to do, otherwise you're shooting in the dark. The cost is going to be in the $30-40 range I believe.
    You didn't complete your profile so we have no idea where you are located or anything about your system. You can use the following link to locate AppleCare's phone number in your country.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

• Operating system calls from apex

Question about operating system calls from apex.
    I created a java file which is wrapped with pl/sql like
    create or replace java source named "ExternalCall" as
    import java.io.*;
    I do the steps from this web page http://www.oracle.com/global/de/community/tipps/oscalls/index.html
    The page is in german, but for experienced users the code on this page says everything.
    In apex i have an application which calls this function with the "move" command in a sql-report region.
    Let's say move c:\work1\file.txt c:\work2\file.txt
    Everything works fine on one host(pc) but if i want to transfer the file from my host to another one then
    i get the messgage "no access" although i have read, write access on the other host.
    By the way, on both hosts i have admin rights.
    Why can't i transfer the file over a network ?
    Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
    Regards
    Stefan
    null

You say that "on both hosts i have admin rights".
    Remember that Oracle doesn't log in as "you", so Oracle may not have rights to the remote host.
    There are a lot of different permissions that can be assigned to java stored procedures. This chapter in the documentation might help:
    http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14187/chnine.htm#BABFBDGG
    You might get better help from the JVM forum:
    Java in the Oracle Database

• Operating System Calls from APEX with Java and PL/SQL

Question about operating system calls from apex.
    I created a java file which is wrapped with pl/sql like
    create or replace java source named "ExternalCall" as
    import java.io.*;
    I do the steps from this web page http://www.oracle.com/global/de/community/tipps/oscalls/index.html
    The page is in german, but for experienced users the code on this page says everything.
    In apex i have an application which calls this function with the "move" command in a sql-report region.
    Let's say move c:\work1\file.txt c:\work2\file.txt
    Everything works fine on one host(pc) but if i want to transfer the file from my host to another one then
    i get the messgage "no access" although i have read, write access on the other host.
    By the way, on both hosts i have admin rights.
    Why can't i transfer the file over a network ?
    Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
    Regards
    Stefan

I guess you are working on a Windows host. In this case Oracle processes are running as Windows services with a build-in MS system account. This account has no access to network ressources. You have two ways to get out of your windows box:
    Assign Oracle services a network enabled account, e.g. domain user with local administrator privileges. (I never tried this and I don't like to recommend it.)
    Use a command script for copying files and use explicite authentication within this script:-
    net use \\myserver\ipc$ tiger /user:scott
    copy c:\temp\xxx1 \\myserver\share\temp
    copy c:\temp\xxx2 \\myserver\share\temp
    Michael

• I reinstalled operating system software on my MacBook Air (Yosemite 10.10.3) and tried reinstalling Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.  I was able to install the software into my Applications folder but I was unable to enter the serial number or go any further with the

I reinstalled operating system software on my MacBook Air (Yosemite 10.10.3) and tried reinstalling Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.  I was able to install the software into my Applications folder but I was unable to enter the serial number or go any further with the installation.  When I click on the Adobe Acrobat icon in the Applications folder, nothing happens.

Hi Tom,
    kindly check the System requirements | Acrobat family of products—older versions (XI, X, 9)
    For serial number message try: 
    Error "Invalid serial number" | Acrobat 9 | CS4
    Thanks,
    Atul Saini

• Executing a Operating System command from Stored Procedure ??

I want to execute a Operating System command from a PL/SQL Stored Procedure, can anyone suggest me how can I do this ??
    I am on Sun-Solaris with Oracle 8.1.7 database.
    Please do email me at [email protected]
    Thanks in Advance,
    Ramesh L.

Are you using a webserver? If so, you could make your operating system script into a CGI program, then execute it from pl/sql using utl_http.request.

• Calling Operating System Commands from PL/SQL using java

Calling Operating System Commands from PL/SQL - The Java Way
    wlth help of given thread link,
    Calling OS Commands from Plsql
    but i had user privilege problem
    Declare
    x Varchar2(2000);
    Begin
    x := OSCommand_Run('/tmp/sri/GROUP_ho.sh');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.Put_Line(x);
    End;
    o/p;
    can't exec: /tmp/sri/GROUP_ho.sh lacks user privilege
    i done the grant privillage also
    part
    dbms_java.grant_permission('abcd', 'SYS:java.lang.RuntimePermission', 'writeFileDescriptor', '');
    dbms_java.grant_permission('abcd', 'SYS:java.lang.RuntimePermission', 'readFileDescriptor', '');
    dbms_java.grant_permission('
    abcd', 'SYS:java.io.FilePermission','<<ALL FILES>>', 'execute');
    again
    get
    can't exec: /tmp/sri/GROUP_ho.sh lacks user privilege
    same error;

Process management at the OS level should prevent execution continuing in the calling code until the command has completed (either successfully or with error).
    If the low level java code were to spawn child process threads then execution could continue, but I'm guessing the Java function your talking about doesn't do that and just calls the operating system to execute the command and waits for the returning code to come back.

• I have an iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo computer and have to update my system software from Leopard V 10.5.8 to OX Snow Leopard V 10.6. Where do I find it?

I have an iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo computer and have to update my system software from Leopard V 10.5.8 to OX Snow Leopard V 10.6. Where do I find it?

Apple Store, Apple on-line store, or local computer store that sells Apple stuff.

• Unablt to download new operating system software

I am unable to download the new operating system software for my iPhone.  As I recall, when I had this problem in the past, the solution was to turn off my firewall.  I have tried that and it doesn't work.  Any other tricks I should be aware of?
    Thanks

check the link and see if it helps
    IOS unable to update or restore  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

• I cannot sync contacts between my iPhone 4s and MacBook Pro after I upgraded the Mac with the latest operating system software upgrade. Even the Mac Store couldn't help...

I cannot sync contacts between my iPhone 4s and MacBook Pro after I upgraded the Mac with the latest operating system software upgrade. Even the Mac Store couldn't help...

That is because that sync ability (for contacts and calendars) has been removed. Use iCloud instead.

• How to: execute operating system commands from PL/SQL

System: IBM pSeries AIX
    Oracle: 11g Enterprise
    Is there a quick way to execute operating system commands from PL/SQL?
    Without creating a JAVA class....
    I need to execute a Loader script.
    I want to do this from within PL/SQL.
    I need to to do 4 things.
    Three require SQL scripts.
    The fourth is SQL*Loader.
    The usual way is with a UNIX script calling 3 SQL scripts and one Loader control file.
    Is there way to do all this from within ONE PL/SQL SCRIPT ??
    Just let me know.

Is there a quick way to execute operating system commands from PL/SQL?
    NO
    Without creating a JAVA class....
    I need to execute a Loader script.
    I want to do this from within PL/SQL.
    WHY ON EARTH, such action will create a new connection and become a resource hog?
    I need to to do 4 things.
    Three require SQL scripts.
    The fourth is SQL*Loader.
    The usual way is with a UNIX script calling 3 SQL scripts and one Loader control file.
    Which is perfect for the purpose.
    Is there way to do all this from within ONE PL/SQL SCRIPT ??
    Just let me know.
    NO, there is NOT. Nor should there be. Why create unstable ineffcient Mickey Mouse systems, glued together by hacking?
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA

• Call operating system services from Jdeveloper

How can i call operating system services from Jdeveloper ?
    null

We do not use JDeveloper but use external procedures/routines called from the database. Then you can call a database procedure to an operating system task.
    Linda

• How to execute Operating System commands from Stored procedure.

Any help on how to execute Operating System commands from stored procedures will be appreciated.
    Nanditha.

Search the forums for 'External Procedure' and you will find example code that has been posted before.

• Opening an operating system window from Forms

An old feature from SQL*Forms was that you could open an Operating System Window by pressing a function key (or combination of keys)
    I think this is still available in Oracle Forms 10g, but I can't remember which function key to press.
    Can anyone help? I know that the function keys can vary across systems, so that I'm looking for is the default key (or keystrokes). I don't think it matters which versions of software are being used, but in case it does, the setup is:
    Oracle Forms: 10gR2
    Client PC: Windows XP
    Client Browser: Internet Expolorer 6
    Application Server: 10GR2 on Windows Server 2003
    Database Server: 10gR2 on Windows Server 2003
    The database has the ORAFORMS$OSC role granted to PUBLIC, and the "<OSC>" flag is showing in the Forms Console.
    Control-K gives a list of the function keys, but doesn't list anything for opening a DOS window:
    As far as I know, frmweb.res has not been altered, but it doesn't list an option for opening an OS window anyway.
    This is not about the HOST command.
    Thanks, Martin

Hi michaeltowse,
    This is indeed something more complicated. Let me give you
    some details about the project:
    This project is to be initially created in Adobe Captivate.
    It consists of the main menu that is to be created in Flash (menu
    1); sub-menus, which are to be created in Captivate (menu 2); and
    menus of sub-menus, which are to be created in Captivate as well
    (menu 3). Now, the part where I need help on is the part that goes
    from sub-menus (menu 2) to menus of sub-menus (menu 3). When any
    option is to be selected from the sub-menu (menu 2), a new window
    is suppose to pop-up (menu 3) that is suppose to be in Flash. This
    new window is suppose to be a new Flash window and is not suppose
    to be opened in a browser, but it's suppose to be opened in another
    Flash window (SWF window). This whole entire project is to be
    executed via an embedded Flash executable. Thus all the .SWF files
    that were created in either Captivate or Flash are to be tied
    together via a Flash executable. I was told in Captivate's Forum
    that this may be done via ActionScript in Flash and I'm wondering
    whether that is that case. Please tell me if my project makes
    sense.
    Thank you.

Maybe you are looking for

• MB Battery drain during sleep

I have a MacBook IntelDuo (not 2) that I just purchased in October. I noticed that the battery still drains during sleep. If I put the computer to sleep for 4 hours, it drops by about 15% - 20%. I had a iBook (white g3 500mhz) and I could put it to s

• Can not open ffd file with reader 8.1

error: adobe reader could not open ffd file because it is either not a supported file or because file has been damaged. windows xp home edition new drivers recently installed.

• RFIDITSR00 : C80 Report selection

Hello gurus, I am note sure to understand the selection logic for the program RFIDITSR00 : should this program select all the invoices customized into table IDITSR_SELECT_V or only the paid invoices ? Thank you in advance for your help best regards

• HT1461 how do i know if my mac works with 32 or 64 bit of windows 7

Any clue? Thanks

• Logic x popup/advert on bootup of logic 9 in Yosemite

Just migrated my old macbook to my new one which runs Yosemite. I'm running Logic Pro 9, and every time it boots there is an advert for me to buy Logic X which I have to close down. How can I turn this off?