Need help to partition and format new hard drive for T400

The HDD failed in my T400. I bought a new 1TB HDD and fitted it. The diagnostic software in the BIOS did a read and controller test (Passed). When I put the Windows XP disk in the CD reader, the setup started - then stalled at the "Windows setup" page. I thought the hard drive had a write problem but apparently it must be partitioned and formatted first, before Widows setup can commence. The thing is that I can't get to the option where Windows formats the drive. In old computers, there was always a partitioning option in the BIOS setup but in my T400, there doesn't appear to be any such option. The computer has 4GB RAM, the actual model is 2767-RV8.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this up and running?
One other question is - (assuming I can get the thing working) - Is there somewhere I can load the operating system on part of the hard drive where it can act as a fall back in case the operating system gets corrupted? - i.e. something that can't get attacked by malicious software?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Ian

Hi irivlin,
If you are trying to clean install XP, then you have to do following setting in BIOS first:
Press F1 to BIOS, Config -> Serial ATA (SATA) -> change to "Compatibility"
You can change XP partition only if you are doing clean installation, otherwise you have to use 3rd party to do it.
For backup part, there are lots of choices in the market. You might consider using XP own backup function. Lenovo got a program called Rescue and Recovery can also do backup as well.
How to use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320820/en-us
Rescue and Recovery® 4.23 by Lenovo
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/​detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-76225
Fred
T61 + X201i

Similar Messages

• Need help with Macbook reinstall on new hard drive!

Hey Everyone!
    So my old MacBook A1181 was damaged a bit in a fall from a shelf. I followed all the directions on PowermacMedic (bless them!) and put in a new LCD screen, as the old one was cracked. Cleaned a lot of cat hair out of machine while I was at it.
    I also replaced the hard drive with a new one, because the old one had a question-mark-over-a-folder icon. I'm very proud of myself, as there are only four screws left over. LOL!
    So now it's time to reinstall the Tiger system. The optical drive is not working, so I researched on how to make an external hard drive bootable, put the Tiger Installation on that and connected it via FireWire to the old MacBook.
    Turned it on and pressed Alt/Option at the same time. Great...up popped the Tiger Installation information. I've clicked on Install, etc., and am at the point where I need to choose a destination drive. Except there is none listed.
    I've gone to Disk Utility, and I can see the new drive there, but just the icon as the major piece of hardware...there's no sub-icon for it underneath, like there usually is.
    So, any ideas on how to make my new hard drive readable so I can choose it from the Tiger Installer?
    Any help would be much appreciated. I've never even attempted to do something like this before, and I don't want to give up just yet!
    Jenny

Do this:
    Drive Preparation
    1.  Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button.  When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
    2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area.  If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing.  SMART info will not be reported  on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
    4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
    5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
    6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.
    After the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Install OS X.

• M7 -j010dx: need help w/recovery Windows 8 new hard drive

installed new hard drive installed (old one hard disk (3f0) error and confirmed dead by Geek Squad). I have recovery discs from HP. how to proceed from here?  Tried the "put App and Driver recovery disc in and turn on" route. no go and same "Boot device not found. Please install operating system on your hard disk.  hard disk (3f0)." error comes up.
    Is there more to the process than this? I'm not getting what's going on.
    Thanks in advance...
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

correct. kicked it right back out.
    still moving positive...

• Partitioning and Formatting USB Hard Drive

I'm using a FreeAgent USB hard drive on my system, but placed a lot of files on it before realizing that Mac can't write to an NTFS file system. I've got about 35 GB of files on a 250GB drive. So, two questions:
    1. Is there something I can use to partition the drive and format part of it to FAT32 and part of it to the Mac format (realizing that I won't be able to read the Mac formatted partition in Windows).
    2. Is it possible to partition the drive without removing the files that are now on it and reformatting (obviously leaving part of it as NTFS)?
    I'll probably be able to do 1, but just thought I'd ask about 2 for information purposes.
    Thanks,

I suppose I could just format it FAT, but I have some vague notion that the Mac format will work better with the Mac OS, especially for backing up. I'd primarily use the Mac partition for backup, and for storage of video files that just take up too much space on the MacBook internal HD. Don't know how realistic that is, and I'm also not sure which backup program would be best suited. I'm pretty new to the Mac environment, and am not even all that sure whether to keep the *.dmg files that I've used to install several programs that I purchased for the Mac.

• How to format new hard drive for Apple TV when you can't use old HD

I need to know how to format a new HD to install in my Apple TV where I can't use the old HD to clone or otherwise create the new structure on the new HD.
    I have an Apple TV that was syncing to a Mac Mini that had a defective HD and logic board. I was unable to backup the Apple TV to the Mac Mini for some time before I had the mini repaired by AppleCare.
    When the mini came back, it registered on the Apple TV as a new computer and I couldn't sync with it without losing hundreds of dollars of content.
    All was okay until the other night when Apple's defective update for the ATV erased ALL my content. I updated it to 3.1 this morning, which Apple indicated might fix the problem. It didn't. The old content is all gone.
    My ATV is out of warranty, so I removed the old HD and copied the files from the "Purchased" folder to my mini. That saved most 101 items that I purchased since 12/08 (but not all for some reason). I lost all content prior to 12/08 that I purchased, as well as some content since 12/08 that I purchased.
    I need to keep the old HD untouched until I can purchase data recovery software. I'd like to just put a spare IDE HD in that I have into the ATV and just start over with what is in my Mac mini iTunes.
    So, how does one do that? I'm not gifted with vast Unix knowledge or experience and I don't want to clone the old HD and risk losing more data if it writes to the HD for some reason.
    Thanks.

Hi Atagahi,
    Firstly, have you emailed Apple iTunes support indicating your issue? There have been instances in which Apple will allow re-downloading of all content you've purchased on the iTunes store.
    Secondly, I highly recommend you get an external usb hard drive, attach it to your mini and use it as a Time Machine drive to keep your iTunes purchases safe. It's a fact of life that all hard disk drives will eventually fail. The Apple TV should never be used as any kind of permanent storage space; think of it as a 'temporary holding' zone. And as you've unfortunately already experienced, a glitch wiped out all content on the Apple TV.
    As regards your original question, it seems like there have been folks who've done just that...taken the internal drive in the Apple TV out and attached it to a mac and copied files from the Apple TV hard drive. I have not had to do such, so I cannot offer any help here except for Linda's suggestion on googling the net for solutions.
    Good luck and hope you get all your purchased content back Atagahi!
    Message was edited by: Alec

• Need to install maverick on a new hard drive old drive died

Can I install Maverick from the internet on a new drive

Install Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion Using Internet Recovery
    Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.
    Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:
    Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.
    Partition and Format the hard drive:
    1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
    2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.
    Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion. Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.
    Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet
                if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

• Format new hard drive

Hello,
    I have some issues with the new hard drive I am currently installing. My old hard drive crashed on my MacBook Pro (Mid 12) and I bought a new hard drive to use. The problem is that I can not erase and format the hard drive to work with the operation system in the Disk Utility. I managed to partition it on a different mac, but then only changed the external settings. Is there any way I can change the internal settings through a USB with a different MacBook?
    Thank you for any suggestions!
    Tobias

Do this:
    Install OS X Using Internet Recovery
    Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.
    Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:
    Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.
    Partition and Format the hard drive:
    Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
    After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.
    Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.
    Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.
    This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

• I got new hard driver for my MacBook I don't have the cd but I do have flash drive that has the software I need help because when I turn on my laptop it shows me a file with question mark how can I install the software from the flash driver?

I got new hard driver for my MacBook I don't have the cd but I do have flash drive that has the software I need help because when I turn on my laptop it shows me a file with question mark how can I install the software from the flash driver?

Hold down the Option key while you boot your Mac. Then, it should show you a selection of devices. Click your flash drive and it will boot from that.

• I had to get a new hard drive for my laptop.  Need help?

I had to get a new hard drive for my laptop. Downloaded iTunes and now it says "this ipod it synced with another itunes library.Do you want to erase this ipod and sync with this itunes library."   Will it erase everything on my touch?

It says so, so yea I guess....

• Need help saving iPhoto library from damaged hard drive

Trying to help my wife, she has the following:
    MacBook Pro running OS X Lion version 10.7.3
    iPhoto 11 version 9.2.2
    Her hard drive failed last week and she had a ton of photos on it, of course not backed up.
    We took her machine to the local Apple Store, they confirmed they couldn't recover the data and they installed a new hard drive in the MacBook.  We took the old hard drive to my local PC supplier who's very clever, he worked on the hard drive and was able to copy all my wife's documents to another storage device.....but, he couldn't copy the iPhoto library and is requesting some help.....he doesn't know much about Macs, nor how iPhoto works.
    I've read a lot of the posts on this forum and am learning about how the iPhoto library works....and how it requires a Mac based back up hard drive in order to copy it.  Okay, here are my questions:
    1.  My PC troubleshooting guy can see the iPhoto library icon on the damaged hard drive, he says its a huge file.  It appears we would need to supply him with a Mac formated back up hard drive, then he could just move that iPhoto library icon (which contains all photos) to the new back up drive.  Is this correct?
    2.  Once we have this old iPhoto library on the new back up hard drive, we could bring it home of course, but then I need to get it into the new hard drive on my wife's MacBook Pro.  I'm assuming I can plug this back up drive into my wife's machine, then import the old library into her machine.  How do I do this properly?
    3.  If I bring the old library into the new MacBook Pro hard drive, will it erase the existing iPhoto library on her new hard MacBook Pro hard drive, or will it combine them somehow?  She has added of course some pics to the new iPhoto library already, but if we have to delete them it won't kill us.  The old stuff that got recovered from the damaged drive is more important.
    Thanks ahead.....now to the experts?

Thanks Terence.....
    regarding this point:
    3. use the paid version ($20) of  iPhoto Library Manager to merge the Libraries. that way you won't lose anything.
    I have another access to her new photos, whereby I could reload them onto her MacBook if we lose the new library.....so I'll save the $20 and just reload them.....two more questions:
    1.  So, if I drag the iPhoto library folder from the new back up hard drive to the Pictures Folder in Finder, will that overwrite the existing library folder on her MacBook?
    2.  After I drag this folder into finder, will iPhoto recognize everything?  I assume yes....just checking.
    thanks ahead!

• Having trouble installing and configuring new hard drive

I bought a larger (320GB) Hitachi hard drive for my T61, to replace the 100GB that came with the computer. I had no touble making the physical installation, but can't boot up and use the new drive. I:
    --used Acronis software (True Image 11 and Disk Director) to partition the new drive. The new partitions are proportionately larger than on the old drive.
    --copied files from my original HD to the new one.
    --tried, unsuccessfully, to boot up from the new drive.
    --tried Thinkvantage software, but it wouldn't (1) recognize any external drives (USB HDD or my backup drive, also an external); (2) let me change the order of my boot devices (I get a synbtax-challenged message: "All items on this menu cannot be modified in user mode...[C]onsult your system supervisor." Well, *I'm* the "system supervisor," and I still can't get the program to let me edit the boot order).
    I have tried to boot the new drive from original OS software (XP Pro), with no success. Same deal with Acronis's emergency book disk. At the moment, I'm letting Thinkvantage reformat and (maybe) reinstall everything that was originally on the factory computer. Whether it'll actually do this on a new and larger hard drive, I guess I'll eventually find out. If it works, I'll then try to restore my real files with Acronis.
    Has anybody else had to deal with this exciting sequence of events?
    --Fred Powledge

Lets start afresh. First do you want an XP or Vista system on your new hard drive? Do you know if the recovery disks you got with your system are for the operating system you want on the new drive?
    If you bought a Vista machine with XP downgrade Vista will be preinstalled on the system and it gets delivered with XP recovery disks. The opposite can also be true the machine is delivered with XP installed and with Vista recovery disks. Iin both cases if you want to upgrade to a new hard disk on the preinstalled operating system you must first yourself burn recovery disks for the preinstalled system. Start -- All programs -- Thinkvantage -- Create Product Recovery Media, first disk must be CD the last two can be DVDs.
    When you are sure you have the right set of recovery disks XP or Vista, boot from them and let them format the disk. They will automatically install the service partition and use all the remaining space of the new hard drive for the C partition. When I think about it even for Vista on the T61 there will be only two partitions C: and a hidden partition for the RnR service partition. The S and Q partitions only apply to the new T400/500 -- I should not have mentioned them.
    If its the recovery disks that were delivered with the machine that are the right one for the op sys you want on the new hard drive and they dont produce a bootable system -- call Lenovo support and get new ones.
    The details for Acronis I can't help you with -- I used my Windows home server backup when I restored my C: partitions on the new hard drives both on my T500 and my T42. Just be careful you dont mix up which is the old and new C: partition so you dont destroy the C. partition on the old hard disk by mistake. But as long as you don't point Acronis to the old hard disk the worst that can happen is you have to rerun the restore to factory settings on the new drive once more.
    T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

• Need a new hard drive for T43...

I need help finding a new hard drive for my T43.  It appears that my hard drive is starting to fail.  It just seems to not power up all the time during boot up or it just dies after it's in used for a little while.  The T43 seems to only be compatible with certain types of hard drives though and I can't find any place that still sells them.  Does anyone know of a place that still sells hard drive compatible with the T43?

Welcome to the forum!
    Any PATA laptop drive will work as long as it's 9.5mm high, but most of today's drives will throw a "2010 error" on boot, which is really not a big deal IMHO.
    The biggest hard drive that won't throw this error is Fujitsu MHV2120AH (120GB/5400rpm) that has been discontinued a while ago. Expect to pay a hefty premium for a sealed one.
    A lot of good info here:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11059
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    George
    In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410
    Collecting dust: T60
    Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,
    Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W
    Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

• In need of a new hard drive for my old G5 computer

Hello there, I'm not as savvy as you are with computers but I am in need of a new hard drive for my old G5 computer that my husband uses.  His crashed.  If you did it all over again would you buy the same new hard drive?  If so, where did you buy it?  I don't even know where to start and was SO happy to find this recent post on installing new drives into the G5.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you!
    <Title Edited by Host>

I actually just ran across this hard drive oddity for the first time myself just yesterday. It seems that some older Macs may not be able to use the newest SATA interfaces on some hard drives.
    I an attempt to not get overly technical, SATA is the current interface type on computer hard drives. You can get some additional information from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA. There are currently three revisions, SATA-1 (the oldest), SATA-2 (the current version), & SATA-3 (the latest and greatest).
    So what happened was that my G5 could not use the SATA-3 drive I purchased because the computer could not support the SATA-3 standard. It was possible to "slow down" one of the other test SATA-3 drives to make it work like a SATA-2 and so it may be possible to do the same to other hard drives.
    To answer your question, I would NOT purchase the saem hard drive for my Mac as it does not work for this older Mac.
    My suggestion, if you can find one purchase the same hard drive that was in the computer. That way you know it is compatible. If you would like to upgrade, you will have to do some looking. Although I cannot recommend a specific drive, my two favorite companies are Seagate, www.seagate.com and Western Digitial, www.wdc.com. You most likely have a 3.5" drive, if you have a desktop, 2.5" for a laptop. WD has the Cavier line and Seagate has either Barrcuda or Momentus. What you are looking for is capacity.
    So, both Seagate and Western Digital are good. You need a 3.5" drive for a desktop or 2.5" drive for a laptop. Stick with a SATA-2 drive also known as a SATA 3Gb/s drive for compatibility. Get a drive that is 7200 RPM or higher. Finally purchase the largest capacity at you can afford. Amazon is a good general place to been looking.
    KWCitizen_Apple

• Need to buy new hard drive for my 17 iMac G5 pre-isight

I need to get a new hard drive for my imac g5. I went to staples and picked up a maxtor sata hd but the screws aren't in the correct place as the original HD. Does anyone know the exact HD that came with the computer and where I can purchase one?
    Best,
    Ken

I think I figured it out. The reason why the screws aren't in the right place is because the original HD that comes with the computer has an external housing around it. I think what I need to do is just take that housing off and put it on the new HD that I purchase.

• I have Lion as my current and main OS. Is it possible to partition part of my hard drive for Snow Leopard?

I have Lion as my current and main OS. Is it possible to partition part of my hard drive for Snow Leopard? I'm good on partitioning but when I insert the Snow Leopard install disk a message tells me I can't run the install program because I currently have Lion installed... obviously. Have I gone about this the wrong way? Do I need to boot the computer using the Snow Leopard install disk instead of my main HD?

Apple will never update that as for the most part it is true, and the fact that they really don't want you to run older OS X versions (for whatever reason).
    Now this probably won't work with the next line of MBPs and MBAs that come out. But it is for the current builds.
    But as I stated you need one of the lastest builds of SL for it to even boot the system.
    It won't work with the retail 10.6.3 DVD disc. That version does not have the correct drivers for the newest Mac's.

Maybe you are looking for